Speaker 1: This is number one hundred. You're on the air with Jason Lauren Clint here as well. We're doing it thanks to your shall already Express.
Speaker 2: Premier Premire, the Premier Victoria is in the house.
Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning to tell everyone what you just said to me off the air.
Speaker 3: Hope the kids aren't listening. We high five kids are back to school week. Parents around the state.
Speaker 1: Have you got in your house?
Speaker 3: I've got two and one. We've got a high school started this week, primary school start this week. So preppy, No, no, I've spread it out that much. No going back to going back to primary school. So last year primary school, first year of high school in our house, that's a big way.
Speaker 1: Seven. Do you open the school bags and the lunchboxes is still there from last year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did all that.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I tried to get more organized this year and do it, did it early January. But still it's a bit of work, you know, new uniform, school bags and kids. They just keep growing and growing.
Speaker 1: And hey, good news for parents who have kids heading back to school. I saw the announcement that you throwing a bit of coin their way.
Speaker 3: Look, I think everyone knows about how tough it is at the moment. Costs, living pressures really real for so many and back to school costs they're one of the big things. You know, it comes at Christmas time, New Years. It's an expensive time. School shoes and books. Kids grow little treasures, they grow, so you've got.
Speaker 1: To make sure you treasures off the air.
Speaker 4: And my mum bought me school dresses that lasted like five years. They were just so big when I started, and I slowly grew into the rifty.
Speaker 1: At your school, did they do that thing where they measure the length of the skirt to make sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah we're in high in Yeah, like senior school. It was supposed to go to the knee, but they didn't measure it. But if it was too short, it's a problem. But we used to roll it up to make it shorter.
Speaker 1: Anyway, they were to the school bone.
Speaker 3: And so in order to help to help families with this expensive time of the year, we have rolled out the school saving bonus four hundred dollars per student. It doesn't matter primary school, high school, primary school, high school. It's for government schools and for low fee paying non government school So about seven hundred students across the state eligible for it, and.
Speaker 1: The parents can spend that at Danfi's or it's got to be right. It's got a bit.
Speaker 3: It's targeted to uniforms because that is one of the big costs, and also camps and excursions because they're a big part of it. And also we know a few families that's one of the things that they don't do. If they're feeling get kids will miss out and you don't want your kids to miss out. So how did they get there cash? So it's been administered through through the schools. We've wanted to make it as easy as possible and I can. I got some the I asked the team for the info for you this morning. As at this morning, we've had ninety five million dollars bonus. People need it, Yeah, and that means that's money that parents have for other things that they spend on, and it has I've been in my own been visiting the uniform shop a bit this summer with the kids, and I've seen parents use I've seen you talking to that.
Speaker 1: Do you do ours in the tuch shop at your kids home?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I used to do a bit of reading in the classroom back in the day before I had Yeah, right, this job but no, I've been I was on uniform shop duty this year and it was really watching families use it. I could see how it was making a real difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, Well we've got you. Can we talk about yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yes, Sam abdul Rahim, this is horrifying and for many in the community, it's really scary. Are you confident that the homicide squad the police have got this in hand and should the public feel concerned?
Speaker 3: Victoria Police and I think you might have been talking to them earlier as well. They're they're throwing They've got huge resources on this, they have their organized crime task courses and work incredibly hard. The advice I have, the advice at VIC Pole's given given me, is that this was targeted, very clear, Like it's horrifying, horrifying scenes and must be have been very distressing for the local community. But it was a targeted It was a targeted.
Speaker 1: I know everyone keeps saying that, and we were in this discussion before because it was a shooting in South.
Speaker 3: The similar circumstance, targeted attack.
Speaker 1: But at the end of the day, it's if I was in that car park yesterday, you know, and all hell breaks loose. You know, people are concerned that they're going to be.
Speaker 3: That's a totally natural reaction. Look, I can take the vic Pole advice. They're saying it was targeted. They're saying there's no broader risk to the community, and we know that vic Pole they've got eyes on these groups and they are throwing that through a lot of resources at this work.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, while we're talking about feeling safe in the community, we have got a huge problem here with youth crime. A lot of finger pointing is going towards you and the government.
Speaker 3: What are we doing about it?
Speaker 4: Because I think people are more Honestly, what I saw yesterday, I'm not as concerned about as someone's stealing a car, a kid stealing a car, getting arrested and then getting released again.
Speaker 1: On the home stuff, that's really it feels.
Speaker 3: Like it's out of contral No, there's no doubt. There's no doubt. The stats tell you, your lived experience tells you that we have seen an increase in that sort of behavior, particularly from there's some groups. And again this is the advice I get from vic Pol. There's a group of young offenders and they are repeat offenders. So in recognizing this is a real issue in the community. The Victorian Parliament, we passed the laws last year to give the courts and the police stronger powers, stronger powers to deal with the youth offenders, not grant them bail.
Speaker 4: Not because I feel like the police are doing their job and these kids again frustrating.
Speaker 1: Was it in Queensland? I saw over the holidays that they've lowered the age Yeah, adult crime at out time. This is what it's been as unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, that's that's Queensland's pathway. What we've chosen to do is give police more powers and the courts too, and also powers.
Speaker 4: But what about the courts because it feels like these kids are just.
Speaker 3: Getting there's stronger bail requirements, stronger new offenses if you commit about not getting bail, if you commit a serious offense while you're on bail. But it feels like it's not happening. Well, these laws are being rolled out right now and it is. You know, we're giving the courts these powers, We're giving the cops these powers. And then I also want to flag we're rolling out this year electronic monitoring, so on some of these youth offenders, the offenders, electronic monitoring because we need to make sure that there's an accountability.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, but as long as if someone's monitoring them and they leave their house, that we go and pick them up. Because I mean, without sounding like an old grumpy man, it's like it's like we're saying, oh, we've now got air tag technology.
Speaker 4: It feels like these kids are out smarting the system. Like I don't know, hang on, hang on, I don't know if you saw that video the other day of that kid who was driving and he was filming himself saying I do this because I can, because I'm going to get led out again, Like.
Speaker 3: And that's why we needed the That's why we needed those law changes. And also too, I can flag with you this morning, like if we need to do more, we will. We need to do more, we will. We've passed fields we need to do. And this is something again I hear this from hear this from police, hear this from people in communities right across the state. And what you said Lauren before about that frustrating that people. It's frustrating, you know, the repeats.
Speaker 2: So when are those bracelets coming?
Speaker 3: So we're rolling at that trial this year. In terms of the electronic monitoring and it is about I get.
Speaker 1: The monitoring, lock them up. I say, if someone breaks into my house at two o'clock in the morning, mate, they need to be locked down.
Speaker 3: Well, that's again why we've made those bail changes.
Speaker 2: Just finally, you'll a politician say, poles will come and go. I mean the most recent one had the primary aiate at around twenty two percent. I mean, why aren't the public buying what you're selling?
Speaker 3: Look, I absolutely expect understand, and again it comes from talking to people. Community wants more from their governments. We've been talking this morning about the cost of living pressures. Absolutely know that that's a real pressure for households and families across the state. It's why we've got the school saving bonus. It's why last week we announced a fuel plan, a fair fuel plan to save motors hundreds of dollars a year on fuel. I absolutely accept that governments me, people like me, and these leadership roles, we've got to work harder. We've got to understand where the community is at, listen to the community and respond to what they're telling it, and particularly on costs of living. It's real, it's hurting people. And my commitment is to fight for those households and families because.
Speaker 2: Much to come in where isn't there in a little while by election there?
Speaker 3: And look that is absolutely right, But governments and all political parties are put to the test at election times. That's why we live in this wonderful democracy.
Speaker 4: Okay, just into Alan the premiere with us this morning, just quickly. I know that that money for kids going back to school is a huge reliefe So if people do need it, they do they deal with the school.
Speaker 3: A lot of people find out, so families will have got emails from their schools like last year.
Speaker 1: Oh so many emails.
Speaker 3: We love compass the parent tell you about the camp coming up. Okay, but we need the cash. So what do we do? We can't find the email? We talked to school, Talk to the school, talk the school and what's it called? The school Safe Saving bonus? And our school? Can I give a shout out the admin teams in school. I was about to say they are fabulous and they are making sure that this money is getting to the people who need it.
Speaker 1: Gold Just central and join us on the air this morning. Thanks for coming in mate, Good to see you guys. That's good.
Speaker 4: Jason, Lauren Jason Lauren Wake Up Feeling Good on Nomber one hundred, Lauren on socials