Speaker 1: Why on Sky News This is Sharry Good Evening.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show tonight. The shocking admission from Australia's top spy agency that they haven't done security checks on all Palestinians arriving in Australia straight from the war zone. This could put lives at risk. Labour's massive security blunder coming up. Plus Peter Dutton launchers a scathing attack on Albanezi over the cost of living, even yelling at the Treasurer to resign. And why Albanesi has been dubbed the Raygun of Australian politics. He's playing the part of PM, but can't quite nail the routine on the big stage. We unpack that with my political panel later on, But first, Peter Dutton today seized on the IBA's devastating critique that its spending was keeping inflation high. It comes as numerous polls show that voters are starting to blame the Prime Minister over the cost of living crisis. In Question Time today, Dutton launched a political attack over the economy on the Prime Minister.
Speaker 3: The Prime Minister has broken promises to cut electricity bills, to provide cheaper mortgages and to ensure that families will be better off on the cost of living. The price of electricity is now up by twenty two percent, We've endured twelve mortgage rate hikes, and the prices for food and groceries are up more than eleven percent. Is it clear to austrage this government has lost its way because of this Prime Minister's lack of economic management and experience and general incompetence.
Speaker 4: Past week, the RBA said, quote, public demand is forecast to be stronger than previously expected, reflecting recent public spending announcements by federal and state and territory governments end quote. But the Prime Minister dismissed this, claiming that's not what they've said. Why is this prime minister in denial that Labour's spending is causing homegrown in and keeping interest rates higher for longer?
Speaker 2: Well? In Parliament today, the Prime Minister once again refused to concede that his government spending was contributing to inflation. I reported last week secret Liberal research that showed voter sentiment was hardening against alban Easy over the cost of living.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Polling in the media today bore that out. The Herald's Resolve poll reported that voters have marked Labor over its handling of the nation's finances, and The Herald reported that voters strongly favored Dutton and the coalition when asked to choose the leader and party they believed would do a better job managing the nation's finances. Forty one percent shows the opposition. Only twenty three percent chose alban Easy and Labor, and then news poll in the OZ showed the coalition's primary vote is now at thirty nine percent, with Labour at thirty two percent. The two party preferred result was fifty to fifty. Simon Benson reports that support for Labor at under a third of the electorate, is now below it's May twenty two election result and would suggest there is little prospector of Albanesi calling an early election for this year. But on these results, Labour would only lose four seats and would still retain government. That's if those results are accurate. Momentum is clearly in Peter Dutton's favor and the continued cost of living pressures will cement voted disappointment in Albanesi, who repeatedly promised before the last election to bring down the cost of living.
Speaker 5: A plan to address cost of living, take pressure off cost of living, pressure off the cost of living, the cost of living, cost of living, cost of living, relief downward pressure on cost of living.
Speaker 2: So for all the go and spending designed to both ease pressures and win votes, there's been no political dividend, no vote of thanks from Australians who can recognize the broken promise when they see one well. Germany is passing laws to deport HUMAS supporters in a tough yet sensible approach, Yet the Albinezi government is doing the precise opposite. They're bringing people into Australia who may support Jimas, and security agencies aren't being given an opportunity to do background checks. That utterly breathtaking revelation from Asioboss Mike Burgess yesterday.
Speaker 6: Do they pose a security threat?
Speaker 7: So for all immigration, including when you're balancing humanitarian needs, security checks are critically important. There are process in place, and I can assure your audience that when things get referred to asier we deal with them a fe actively. Of course, there might be times when they didn't get referred to us in time. Once we become aware of them, we're able to do the assessments and deal with them effectively.
Speaker 2: So, Mike Burgess, they're admitting not all of the Palestinian visas were being sent to ASIO for background checks. It's quite the revelation. He said very clearly. There might be times when they didn't get referred to ASIO in time. Now that's putting the Albanezy government on notice should there be an attack. Shadow Home Affairs Minister James Patterson was outraged about the lack of security checks today.
Speaker 8: I was astonished by the revelation that it does not appear that every single person coming out of a war zone controlled by a terrorist organization is not being referred to as for a security assessment. Of course, every single one of those people should be referred and on top of that, the Department of Home Affairs and the officials reviewing those visa applications should be using the character provisions of the migration to reject the application of anyone who is a supporter of a terrorist organization.
Speaker 2: So what happens then when these Palestinians who pose national security concerns, if they do are already in Australia. Tony Burke has said that no one will be sent back to Gaza He says, no government in its right mind would send people back to Gaza, and he's indicating that they will stay in Australia permanently. This is despite Anthony Alberzi promising voters that the visas will only temporary. It shows how comfortable Albanesi is blatantly lying to Australians. Now, this is an extremely serious issue. Her must supporters being flown into Australia from the front line of Gaza at taxpayer expense. By the way, could threaten our national security and our safety in a dangerous way. James Patterson today asked what sort of Australia we act we want to live in?
Speaker 8: Hamass a listed terrorist organization. It has political objectives which it believes should be achieved through violence, and anybody who supports using violent means to achieve political objectives is not welcome in Australia and should not come to Australia. But if you support using attacks like the seventh October, which killed the largest number of Jews since the end of the Holocaust twelve hundred people on one day and kidnapped hundreds more, then I don't think you should come to this country. I mean we should ask ourselves. Will our country be stronger if we bring hamas supporters in? Will we be more united? Will we be more cohesive? Will our problems of anti Semitism be better? Or will they be worse?
Speaker 2: Such good points. Now, I first raised concerns about this issue in November last year, and then I reported I revealed on this show that young men are being flown into Australia who support the October seven attacks and who sympathize with Harmas. Now James Patterson spoke about these revelations today with Peter Stephfovic, and he said that security agencies should at the very least do the research that we did.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 8: Your colleague Sharry marks And did a desktop social media research on some of the applicants for visas as part of that cohort, and she was able to identify people who publicly support her mus if she can find them. I assure you the intelligence function of the Home Affairs Department and AZEO are more than capable of find them if they're asked to do so. But it appears that this government has not asked them to do so.
Speaker 2: It's appalling. Now technically Australians who do support hermas a listed terrorist organization could face prosecution, But the fact that these laws aren't being used means support for terrorism is becoming normalized, condoned, and even accepted at universities, on our streets and in government agencies. It seems to me that supporting her Maas is apparently not a problem for Anthony Albanesi or Penny or Tony Burke. It appears to me that they don't care that they're bringing to Australia immigrants who support bar baric terror attacks, especially at a time when our social fabric is fragile and concerns about terrorism are rising. It's sheer hypocrisy given Albinezi himself said that social cohesion should be nourished, his word nourished. Mike Burgess even admitted yesterday that it wasn't necessarily a problem if immigrants supported terrorism.
Speaker 6: If they've expressed any support or sympathy for Hamas, is that.
Speaker 7: A problem depends on the what that looks like. If they're supportive because they want their homeland, If they're giving financial support or material aid, that can be a problem. And obviously we take each case on its merits and context of the information we have before us.
Speaker 10: But if it's just rhetorical support.
Speaker 7: If it's just rhetorical re support and they don't have an ideology or support for a violen Stree as an ideology, then that's not a problem. If they have a support for that idergy, that will be a problem.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty sad response given the extreme social disarray that we're experiencing. It prompts it again this strong rebuke from Patterson today.
Speaker 8: Mike Gregis also said that it is possible that political supporters or sympathizers of terrorist organizations like a mass could be brought into Australia, that it wouldn't violate Australian law, and in that he very accurately described the status quo under the Alberenesi government.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 8: It is not the task of intelligence agency chiefs to set policy. That is the task of politicians and governments. And it seems clear under the Albernesi government's watch that they have not asked the Department or our intelligence agencies to make sure that there are no terrorist supporters or sympathizers among the cohort of Palestinians being brought to Australia. Let me be very clear, under a pedodata Dutton led coalition government. The acceptable number of Hamas supporters to come to Australia is zero, and we'll take whatever steps are necess to make sure that that's the case.
Speaker 2: And of course he's right. I mean that shouldn't even be controversial. The correct number of people who support her Mus who enter our country should be zero. Our terror threat level is rising. There's more than a fifty percent chance of a terror attack in the next twelve months. Yet the Albanezy government is literally flying her Must sympathizers into our country at taxpayers expense. It's lunacy, it's insanity. It's an inexplicable disregard for the safety of Australians. Germany is booting out HERMAS supporters while Australia is flying them in. It beggars belief. We need an immediate return to political leadership that puts national security and social cohesion front and center. Australia is fast becoming unrecognizable under the Albanese government and they just don't give a dam about our safety. All right, to discuss this, let's bring in now Sky News host Steve Price and contributor Joe Hildebrand. Welcome to you, Grow Steve do you agree that this is lunacy and insanity?
Speaker 1: Sure is. And look who's in charge now, Tony Burke. I mean, that's the decision the Prime Minister took when he reshuffled his front bench. And Tony Burke holds a seat in Sydney which has a large Muslim population. He does not want to upset that population because he wants to retain that seat. So where was Tony Burke today when James Patterson was out saying all the right things? Where was Penny Wong? Where was the Prime Minister? I mean, it's just crazy that we would bring these people here. And when Tony Burke says, well, we're not going to send them back under any circumstances, he won't change his mind on that. And now that he said it, he can't actually do it. So if Azio suddenly finds out that one of these people that's come into the country who checked before they landed, is now someone who is vocally supportive of Hamas, what do we do with them? I mean, do we arrest them and throw them into some sort of detention. That should happen, but I don't think this governor will do it.
Speaker 2: No, Joe, we couldn't have heard more times from the Prime Minister, from Penny Wong, from Clara O'Neil oh, all the normal processes are being followed, and then we hear Mike Burgess say, well, actually not all of them have been sent to US for background checks in time, in time, implying they're already here.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Look, obviously it would be extremely concerning if any of the individuals who were given asylum did end up posing a threat. I think the more I mean the problem is you've got Hamas sympathizers that are already in Australia, have been homegrown here, have got even less of an excuse. We saw a great expose a of an academic in The Australian who said that maybe her masks were just like anti colonial freedom fighters. We've had student activists go exactly.
Speaker 2: But I think it's different if people have been brought up.
Speaker 6: Was indoctrinate, Well, that's right, My point exactly is. My point is if if you are brought up in Palestine a level of propaganda and the way that the entire, the entire society is built around, you know, despising Israel and thinking Israeli is evil and wanting to take back your homeland. You don't think HAMAS is a terrorist organization. That's the problem. People in the West have no excuse. We can see and we know it's prescribed. People there could very easily. And you know, you ang have to look at the children's TV program that they put out just depicting Jews in horrible ways. People there would have been brainwashed into thinking Hamas were, you know, these heroic freedom fighters. And indeed Hermas won elections. And this is a security briefing I got from here a very Jewish, very senior security advisor to I think it.
Speaker 10: Was George W.
Speaker 6: Bush who was saying that Hamas won these elections by getting all these you know, local community leaders, young doctors, you know, the local pharmacist to run for election. We're seen as this nice, touchy, feel like grassroots community and we know that they're also double agents who opposing as u N educators or u N workers at unwis. So again it's it's very disturbing, but the important thing is we expose the muscle what they are and these people realize it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's turn to the dramas around Hurry, go ahead, Steve, Well, you've made the point before, the neighboring Arab countries near Palestine are not taking these people.
Speaker 1: Why are we flying them all the way to the other side of the world when they live in Palestine. Yes, what's happening in Gaza is horrible, but why won't people in Egypt? Why don't they go to Egypt or somewhere in their region not as far away from where they lived.
Speaker 10: Bringing any of them here.
Speaker 6: I'd believe they have links to Australia the people were flying over, but certainly the other countries should be got much anymore.
Speaker 2: But I think Steve, potentially there are security concerns. I mean, you know there's not enough pressure put on Egypt either. Yeah, all right, let's to the drug.
Speaker 1: And remember that these people remember showing that. Yeah, we found out on your program last week that they were processing visas within an hour. How do you do a security check on someone within an hour? That's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just not possible. We've been reporting on the security flaws for months now. I hope, strongly hope with every fiber of my being that it doesn't lead to an incident. But you know, we should be having our intelligence agencies checking people before they come here. It's just the most basic thing. Well, I would be happy to have access to more intelligence, Joe than what's publicly available. Let's turn to Rachel Gunn. Her shocking break dancing routine scored zero Marx. This bizarre performance has now been mocked and questioned by big names in the media and politics. Have a look.
Speaker 9: I feel for Rey gun Oh so good.
Speaker 11: I think isn't like huge though?
Speaker 2: Do you really need to feel for it?
Speaker 8: What do you mean huge in what way?
Speaker 9: Like an embarrassment and the joke of the world.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's embarrassing.
Speaker 2: I have to ask you because because it's all that me and my friends have been talking about last night, after the show and today, and I'm not saying anything.
Speaker 12: I'm you know, I.
Speaker 2: Think it's taken out.
Speaker 1: I think it's the best thing that's happened in the Olympics.
Speaker 12: See entire time.
Speaker 1: Did anyone see the breakdancing lady?
Speaker 6: It's all from the olympiss.
Speaker 2: I mean it's overshadowed the number of medals that Australia won. We're now a laughing stock and an embarrassment.
Speaker 12: Well.
Speaker 2: Sky News digital editor Jack Houghton wrote that Rachel Gunn's university papers because she's an academic are just as bad as her dancing. He writes on the Sky News website that one of her papers is filled with this sort of gibberish, including suggestions breakdancing was a space for those who had been othered to express themselves and engage in new hierarchies of respect. You should read his article because it's a whole lot of woke nonsense. Joe, I think many people have been saying this, but you know kids, and I've got a five year old boy and he often just no one teaches him how to dance, but his natural breakdancing. Most mums will say this better than what we saw from her.
Speaker 6: It's just it was incredible, And Parnell McGuinness raised the possibility which I've increasingly come to.
Speaker 10: The view must be true, which it's all.
Speaker 6: Just a massive troll, that this is a massive kind of practical joke on the global scale.
Speaker 10: It's like angry penguins.
Speaker 6: It's all a hoax, and then she'll write a dissertation about it, got through to the Olympics and just took the piece out of the whole thing. But I had much more sympathy for her before I read some of her academic work, which is the worst kind of turgent sludge, like it is what gives all of academia a terrible, terrible brain. And then the claims that the criticism of her was somehow misogyny or it was sexist, and I just and now I'm kind of like, you know what, now you deserve.
Speaker 10: Everything you get.
Speaker 6: But it was just absolutely it was so bad that either it's a spoof or she takes herself so seriously that it looks like a spoof.
Speaker 2: But Steve, this isn't just Rachel Gunn's fault. Whoever's the head of the Australian breakdancing team. They could have found an eight year old who did a better job. Why put her up for this sort of international failure and embarrassment? The judges gave her a zero score, so clearly she wasn't objectively good by anyone's standard.
Speaker 10: No, it was a great look.
Speaker 1: Her work at university is a worse crime than the breakdancing I think. But you're right, how did she ever get how did she ever get to become an Olympian and walk in the shoes of all of those brilliant athletes that we sent there. I mean, the only thing I'm sad about here is that the LA has dropped breakdancing from its program, which will be really bad news for Joe because I think breakdancing about the only thing Joe could ever represent the country as an Olympian. It's his chance has gone out the window.
Speaker 10: I know it's Crauel.
Speaker 6: Don't someone think of the forty eight year old white breakdancers.
Speaker 10: You know, where's our time to shine?
Speaker 12: You know?
Speaker 10: The goodness appropriation?
Speaker 6: Steve, I think that's that's my academic dissertation.
Speaker 2: Maybe tomorrow night will play some of the clips of kids that the parents are posting online who have done better jobs. Now the Australian's latest newspolt today, I mentioned it a moment ago. Has the Abanzi government and the Coalition neck and neck on the two party preferred result. Steve, the primary vote, the Coalition is at thirty nine percent at this and Labor at thirty two percent. That's primary. So Steve, with these results, Labor would still win and only would you know, would only lose four seats. I just don't think that's an accurate reflection of voter sentiment at the moment, given the cost of living.
Speaker 1: Crisis you're trying to trigger us. I mean, the worst result in any election would be a minority labored government where they then have to deal with whoever Teal survives, And a lot of them won't, but some will. They say they won't deal with the Greens, but who would know if it got desperate? Anthony Albaneze, you do anything to hang on to his job, I would imagine. But can you imagine twenty twenty five living in Australia. It's bad enough under the Albanze government now, and I know jose Ah made of albos but I think he's a weak Prime minister. But can you imagine living in a country where it was being run by labor and they had to cave into a whole lot of demands from whatever Teal? I mean, I still have bad dreams about Julia Gillard dealing with Bob Catter and Rob oakshot Tony Windsor. I mean it took two weeks and made us all feel sooing.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Joe, do you still think that Albanize is going to win the next election.
Speaker 10: I think it will be minority government.
Speaker 6: I very much like Steve and I are in perfect agreement that I very much wish that it was not minority government.
Speaker 10: I do not like minority governments. Will not deal with the Greens.
Speaker 6: There will be no coalitions say that now believe, and there's no way mathematically that they will have to. They don't want to deal with the Teals either.
Speaker 2: They don't want you. But if it's a choice between retaining government and leasing.
Speaker 6: It, there's a choice between the Greens and the Teals. They would get to the Teals, but they'd have to lose a lot more than four seats before they have to deal with the Teals. So they only have to get to seventy two seats and they can still deal with another four independents to hold government without even touching the Teals or the Greens. They're not going to touch the Greens with a barge pole. You've heard what the Prime Minister has said about them. He despises them. They try to attack him and take his job at every single election. In his own seat, they're barricading his office. Even as we speak, they're condoning the worst kinds of rhetoric about the.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes he's happy to attack the Greens.
Speaker 1: But yes, so Joe, you're telling us we're going to be run by Anthony Albanezi Catter, Andrew Wilkie and Jackie Lanby.
Speaker 10: That'll be fun, and Rebecca Sharky possibly.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, obviously, no one wants that, least of all anyone in labor.
Speaker 10: They want a majority.
Speaker 6: But I'm just saying that it doesn't even if Lavor goes into minority government, it doesn't mean they'll be for the deals.
Speaker 2: Yes, if the polls get so bad, it'd be interested to see if there's a push behind Tony Burke. It would be fascinating.
Speaker 10: I think we're adding a deal.
Speaker 6: I think it's been this low before, but I don't think things can sink much lower, and I think they will get better, especially as year companies people start looking forward to an interest rate cart and the economy hopefully.
Speaker 2: I think that's very optimistic, Steve, because things are getting worse. The IRBA governors just said we're not going to have an interest rate cut at least in the next six months, and the research shows that voters are starting now to blame Albo. The attitudes are starting to harden, so it could sink lower. What do you think do you think there could be leadership colsibly?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, they could well.
Speaker 10: I don't know about a leadership change.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe, but cost living is getting worse and worse and worse. I visited minine year old mother last week. I tried to work out on her power bill. When she's getting the money that the federal government we're going to roll out to all of us to get a cheaper electricity. I couldn't work it out how she's supposed to work it out. And she's paying four hundred dollars a quarter for electricity. He lives on her own in a small house. I mean, it is really tough for people out there. And look, I guess I suppose Joeanne Sharry, you'd both agree this puts to bid. Any idea of an election this year is just not going to happen.
Speaker 10: I never thought that I have side. The whole time.
Speaker 6: I thought it would be suicide. I thought it would be insane. You wait until you get an interest rate cut behind you and people are starting to feel more optimistic, and then you go after that.
Speaker 10: For a while it looked like we weren't going to get that.
Speaker 6: It now looks like there's going to be one in the sort of the first quarter of next calendar year. And I can guarantee there will be no leadership spill. You can take that to the bank. That is absolute. People might be trying to stoke that from the other side, to try to bump it up, but there is absolutely no way Labor would never do that again, I promise guaranteed.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll see.
Speaker 10: I sure.
Speaker 2: I think if the primary vote sinks lower, Tony Burke is so ambitious he could mount an argument with his supporters that, you know, the only chance they have to hold onto government and to say.
Speaker 10: That I don't think so.
Speaker 6: Tony Burke is a very very capable minister, and he is he is the minister for everything these days, and he's the sort of mister fix it that you go to when you want a problem solve. But even if there is not, and then won't be. But the heir apparent to Anthony Alberanezi is not Tony Burke.
Speaker 10: It is Jim Chalmer punt present.
Speaker 2: I think that Tony burke suggestion as Prime Minister is utterly absurd, but this is what he thinks. He keeps putting himself forward as the next PM. Anyway, we're out of time, Steve Price talk soon, all right, Labor as we've been speaking about is still in damage control. After the IRBA confirmed that budget spending of both state and federal governments was contributing to higher inflation. The PM denies that his budget had anything to do with it. But let's bring in now Macro Business chief economist Leith van Nonstein. Leith, great to see you. Look, there is this clear rift, this divergence in views between the RBA and the government on whether government spending, and it's not just federal its state as well, is contributing to keeping inflation high. Do you think that Albanesi government has any leg to stand on when they disagree with the RBA?
Speaker 13: No, I don't cherry look to be honest with you, I think both the federal government and the state governments are working across purposes.
Speaker 10: With the reserve Bank.
Speaker 13: So obviously the reserve banks trying to slow inflation through high interest rates, and we have the federal government working against that obviously with its very high immigration policy, which they're running into a supply constrained market, and that's pushing up obviously things like housing inflation and into inflation. Was We've also got obviously energy policy alliures left right and center, which is pushing up gas and electricity prices. That's adding the cost of living and inflation across the economy. And finally we've got their massive spending on things like the NDIS, which is obviously adding demand in the economy. And then we have the state governments which are doing their big build infrastructure projects, often on white elephant sort of projects like the suburban rail loop in Melbourne, and then that's adding demand to the economy. So we've got basically a burnout economy at the moment, where by the Reserve Bank's got the foot on the brake with interest rates, and all the governments have got the foot on the accelerator working across purposes, and we really need them.
Speaker 10: To work together.
Speaker 2: There's also been this debate about the energy subsidies. Clearly they do lower that component of the CPI. However, the data shows that when they end that inflation ticks back up again. So are you one of those economists who thinks this is a trick or do you think it's really smart policy.
Speaker 10: Look, it's a band aid to be quite frank.
Speaker 13: So basically the subseason on energy and rents for that matter, basically trying to paper over the cracks of the government's own failed policy. So if you look at energy, for example, the East Coast Australia is one of the biggest gas exporters in the world, but we're the only region in the world that doesn't have a gas reservation scheme and as a result, we pay some of the highest gas prices in the world and then that.
Speaker 10: Pushes u up electricity. And instead of addressing that.
Speaker 13: Problem at the source by implementing a domestic reservation scheme like we have in Western Australia, the federal government instead wants to spend our money to try and alleviate the cost pressures, and they're doing that also with the rental market. Instead of cutting inflation cutting immigration hard, which they should be, they're instead handing out subsidies. So it's really just a statistical trick and it's not fixing the underlying problems.
Speaker 2: How are we comparing in the inflation fight to other countries around the world at the moment, Yeah.
Speaker 13: We're certainly running behind the other country. So you know, if you look at say Canada or New Zealand for example, their inflation is coming down fast than us. We're lagging them. So unfortunately, we do have domestically driven inflation. And again some of that gets back to the federal government with its excessive immigration, energy policy failures, spending etc.
Speaker 10: And the state governments.
Speaker 2: An Onsen, thank you very much for your analysis tonight now still to come. Why Albo is being called the Raygun of Australian politics. He looks snazzy in a suit but can't nail the routine on the big stage. Plus former ABC chair Morris Newman will be on live after. Kim Williams lashes coverage against the broadcaster, despite him criticizing the ABC repeatedly in his own book That's All Coming Up After the Break, Welcome Back Well. ABC chair Kim Williams has claimed that news Core Power Company has an obsession with the public broadcaster, saying the coverage is unbalanced and at times fairly unhinged. He says it should be ignored. He also went on to say that the ABC has an obligation to be a reliable broadcaster for the nation. He says we are the last broadcaster standing because there are a lot of people in Australia who don't have money. Now. This is despite the fact that Kim Williams himself was highly critical of the ABC in his twenty fourteen book, it seems his tune has changed since taking on the role of chair. Well, I'm Joe now by former ABC chairman Maurice Newman Marris, thank you very much for your time.
Speaker 9: Lovely to be with you again.
Speaker 2: Now. Among the many things that Kim Williams said in his twenty fourteen book, he absolutely smashed the ABC. He said it was guilty of pompous twaddle. He said it doesn't break news or not enough news. He accused it of vainglorious behavior, and he said he begs to differ, and he completely smashed it. He couldn't have used harsher words. Yet here he is now ABC chair doesn't have a harsh word to say, and criticizing NewsCorp for daring to hold the part broadcaster to account despite the fact it's funded by the taxpayer.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, which is the real? Who is the real Kim Williams?
Speaker 14: I mean, I would suggest that probably in the book is what he really thinks. But he seems to have been captured since he's been there. I mean, when his position was announced, I wished him all the best and hope that he's able to succeed but I know what it's like having been there, that ultimately they either wait you out or try to capture you.
Speaker 9: I think that Ida.
Speaker 14: Buttros has had a couple of comments since she left which had been critical of the ABC.
Speaker 9: But none of that was apparent when she was there.
Speaker 14: I was critical of the ABC, and from that moment on I was canceled. I gave a speech to the two hundred most senior people in the ABC. I was told that what I had said, which was that they should be more curious, they needed to be more independent than they needed to be more considerate of the charter, that when I made those comments, I was essentially remember speaker after me was told that the audience was too angry after what I had said to concentrate on the subsequent speaker. So you know, it is a collective, it's self serving, it's inward looking, and I wish Kim William's luck even now, but I think he's going to find it increasingly difficult.
Speaker 2: I mean, the issue is that it ignores certain stories or problems in society, it focuses on others. It has a bias in many different areas, even though it is funded by the taxpayer. One point one billion dollars a year. What did you try and change apart from the speech, What did you try and change when you were there? And was it virtually impossible?
Speaker 9: Well, it is impossible, Althos.
Speaker 14: I found it impossible, and I certainly put some effort into it. I mean I remember that night, after I had given my speech to those two hundred most senior people.
Speaker 9: Remember that Mark Scott, who was in the.
Speaker 14: Chief executive, issued a statement which was read out on late line by Tony Jones, saying that he had complete confidence in the staff and the journalists at the ABC. So essentially threw the chairman under the bus. And I knew from that moment on where I stood and where the ABC stood, and the train never the twain met. So we did have a committee which came up with new editorial policies. But it's like the Soviet Union's constitution. It was the freest in the world. But if you don't practice, it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 2: Good analogy. And now, of course Mark Scott's over at the University of Sydney again failing in his leadership. Look, I think it's so fascinating. We've been very critical of the fact that the public broadcast at hasn't all covered the antisemitism crisis. It hasn't cared about anti Semitism until today, Maurice Newman, the ABC sees fit to only care about anti Semitism when they're publishing messages sent by a Channel seven executive to another producer. This is their revelation today on the website. They claim that those messages are anti Semitic, even though the producer who sent them, Mark Llewellyn, is known to strongly support Israel. This is a story I looked at personally a few months ago. I knew about the messages. I had the messages, but I dismissed it as a story because yes they're off color messages, Yes they're offensive, but they're not anti Semitic. And if the ABC cared about anti Semitism, well there's a lot of issues they could look at that are actually a lot closer to home.
Speaker 14: Well, we always see our own faults magnified in others, and I suspect that's probably what they're seeing in the Channel seven report.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the ABC's coverage overall has been far from friendly to the Jewish community or to Israel. That's for sure, all right, Morris Human really appreciate your time and insights. Thank you very much. Enjoy having you on the show as always. Now still to come, Albin Easy, the Reagan of the Australia One commentators hilarious and devastating critice. Plus the political polls are bad for Albow, but isn't bad enough that he'll be a one term prime minister. I'll discuss this with my political panel Cameron Milner and Holly Hughes after this quick break. Welcome back well. Another terrific piece by editor Christopher Dare in The Nightly this Evening where he calls Anthony Alberizi the Raygun of politics door rights that Albanezi pulled out all the right moves to get the call up for national duty. Looks pretty snazzy in the green and gold tracksuit, but can't quite nail the routine on the big stage. Our iconic Big Girl is all bunny ears, kangaroo hops and body drops. DJ Albow is all talk, labor chops and policy flops. On that note, let's bring in tonight's political panel former Chief of Staff to Bill Shotton, Karon Milner and Liberal Senator Holly Hughes. Welcome to you both is this a fair comparison.
Speaker 15: Well, I always like reading Chris Stor, but yes, I think it is. I mean, you know, at the end of the day, just because you're representing Australia, it doesn't mean you're actually up to the job. I mean, Raygun was a disgrace. I mean Meghan Davis said that today in her in her tweet, and I think Albo is getting found out by the Electric as well as not being up to the job. So no, it's just because you've described as Australian representatives doesn't mean necessarily up for the job.
Speaker 16: Holly, what do you think, Well, I don't know if he's breakdancing, but he's certainly performing significant acrobatic moves at the moment, particularly when you look at the way he's trying to misinterpret what the RBA is saying when it comes to this government spending and the direct links that it has with the inflation that we're experiencing, and the RBA saying that it is because of the government spending that we're going to experience higher interest rates for longer, and yet any time that mister Aveneese has questioned on this, he just flood out denies that's what they've said it's just extraordinary.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not a fan of.
Speaker 16: The ray gun either.
Speaker 2: I think it's incredibly.
Speaker 16: Embarrassing and I actually feel sorry for our athletes who did perform incredibly well that they've been overshadowed. Yeah, one is talking about some of the other performances exactly. I want to say Jess Hull, and I might be wrong, but who won the silver medal on the track and the last second last night? You know, there was some incredible efforts by Australian athletes that have been overshadowed by this complete embarrassment that looked like a Kath and Kim mock up in an Aussie tracksuit.
Speaker 2: I agree. It's such a pity that it's distracted from the fact that Australia did so well. I mean, for a while it looked like we were going to come in third on the metal tally just slipped into fourth. But this is all anyone's talking about now and well, the Albanezi government today introduced legislation to tackle the CFMEU have a look.
Speaker 11: The government has rushed in new laws to clean up the embattled CFM. You new Minister Murray Watt wants to appoint an administrator for the construction divisions of the union after shocking allegations of criminal misconduct. Fines and jail time would be imposed for union officials who refused to comply.
Speaker 2: And that was Trudy McIntosh there with that report. Cameron, do you think an administrator given sweeping powers under the legislation goes far enough to tackle this?
Speaker 15: Well, let me say, I think the legislation is premature. I think it's traconian, and I think, quite frankly, it's thuggish. We've actually got a federal court process where the Fairwork Commission's actually testing the evidence, testing the allegation shari as they should. And yet you have a politician stepping into the Brits into the midst of this. Albow is seen as so weak. He's so desperate to be seen as a tough guy. He wants to be now a union buster. I think this legislation might be needed at the end of a long process, the way Bob Hawk did with the BLF. It was a royal commission in two years of investigations, and Bob hawks it up and said this is now necessary. Albert's done none of that, none of that's been justified. Leave it to the police to investigate criminal matters, leave it to the Fair Work Commission to actually run the case in the Federal Court. I don't think Palmer's got a role in this. Think Parliament should be there to make the laws. Courts there should be there to interpret them. And I think Murray what Aalbo have overstepped their mark completely with this legislation.
Speaker 2: Interesting holy the coalitions are posing it, but for completely opposite reasons, well.
Speaker 16: Not really opposing it for opposite reasons. I think Cameron is spot on when he talks about the need for a Royal commission and a proper investigation into this. Albo would love to think that he is Bob Karnate, Bob Hawk reincarnated, but in fact he's an absolute poor cousin three times removed. He is nothing like Bob Hawk and what he did around the BLF when he registered it it is absolutely disgraceful. I mean, we've been maybe where Cameron and I won't agree. We've been on the NDAs all day today and legislation that was supposed to be passed six weeks ago has had eighteen amendments brought by the government today. And this is why scrutiny of this legislation or any legislation is important, and the fact that they're just trying to jam this through in a bid and it's not about policy, it's not about legislation, it's not about substance. It's all about the politics. Cameron's right when he says it's Murray Ward trying to.
Speaker 10: Provide it's a factional alo to.
Speaker 2: Look go ahead, Cameron explain that.
Speaker 16: Boosts albos power in Victoria.
Speaker 15: How actually, don't Holly, they does she don't support albow albow.
Speaker 2: They're with the right, he's the left.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, that's right, and the other lot. John said this is just a factional hit job at the point of convenience for Albo to try to look like a tough guy when he's actually looking so weak on so many other issues.
Speaker 2: Holly Cameron, I think it's fascinating that no one has spoken about this, that you're the first person to actually point this out that in a way this is cementing Albanese's power base. Cameron Milner, Well, that's right.
Speaker 15: And I actually went back to the ninety and eighty five type Britain speech the Bob Haulk gave to the Parliament where he stepped out like a proper lawyer. Every single reason why they b left needed to be deregistered, including the fact that Norm Gallagher have been found guilty and gone to jail for corruption.
Speaker 10: None of that's the case.
Speaker 15: And we've actually got a process, a fair work commission process that's independent Chari independent. Albow's factional politics and he doesn't want that. He wants to ran through legislation, jam it through the Senate. I think this, as I said, is highly premature and actually subverts the process of the independent courts in this land.
Speaker 2: But the problem is, of course the CFMEU is thaigish. You know, it does appear that they've been involved in criminal conduct, so I don't think they're going to have too many defenders. It's just interesting that, you know, it is also a factional issue.
Speaker 15: But Shari, not even John Hown and Peter Reith de registered the MUA in the middle of the waterfront dispute.
Speaker 10: This is union.
Speaker 15: Busting legislation from the Parliament. Let's call it for what it is, a union busting legislation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Camera Milner, Holly Hughes, great to see you both tonight. Now up next, Donald Trump's campaign accuses he ran of hacking their internal messages and how did leak documents end up in the inbox of a media outlet? Plus the dangerous crackdown on free speech in the UK. Koshagada will break all of this down after this quick break. Well, let's have a look now at this ominous threat from the UK Crown prosecution servers to free speech. They've worn citizens to think before they post. This does appear to be a major attack on free speech, with comedian Rowan Atkinson among those speaking out against it. Let's bringing our Stein News contributor Koshagada to discuss this. Kosh, You're good to see you again. Look how serious is this and how concerning is this? Censorship of free speech in the UK?
Speaker 17: Concerning very chilling, some would say. And George Orwell was English and he wrote about a version of this in nineteen eighty four, and some would say he was very prescient. It's, you know, quite remarkable how countries in the West, starting with the UK and you know many the US, Australia others, have come out of that freedom basically philosophy that you know, they came into after six thousand years of human experiments. It was sort of the best system that's come out of England and most of the countries and around it. To see this happening there is quite stunning. I think, you know. The reason is the upstream problem over here is the level and quantum and speed of immigration that has been allowed into the country, coupled with poor and unequal application of the law that has led to this pressure cooker environment which at any time can explode as it did because of those atrocious stabbings. It's really hard to unscramble the egg of immigration policy and law and order policy, and so the easier thing to do is to try and put a lid on the pressure cooker in the form of censorship and infringement on civil libers. And so I think it's unfortunately a predictable consequence, but it really is quite stunning when you see it in a country like the UK.
Speaker 2: It truly is. We're going to continue to cover this topic throughout my shows this week. For now, Kocher, let's have a look at the US left wing media outlets are trying to defend Kamala Harris since she's gone to ground. As we know, she's refused to give a press conference or a serious sit down interview. MSNBC's Michael Steele defended it.
Speaker 12: Have a look what has struck me since Donald Trump's press conference is sort of the sort of high brow nature of the press coming at Kamala Harris saying.
Speaker 9: Well, she, in my view, whining that.
Speaker 18: She hasn't she doesn't talk to us, she hasn't done a sit down with us, she hasn't done interviews with us right now, is there a real need for her to sort of, you know, get the impromata of the press on her campaign.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is a serious issue of presidential nominee surely needs to be open for scrutiny, especially when she missed all the debates.
Speaker 17: So true, it's very frustrating for citizens, for voters that are trying to ascertain how to cast their vote and who stands for what they stand for and who is going to set the country on the right direction. But if that's the question being asked, absolutely, it's very frustrating. I think where Michael Steele is right, as much as we hate to say it is if the question is what does it take for a candidate like Kamala Harris to win this race and run out the cloth with eighty days left to go, and the circumstances under which she arrived in the position of being the nominee, then some would say, actually, this is exactly the correct, correct strategy for her. The question remains, eighty days is a lifetime in politics, and will that frustration from the press, as favorable as they are to her, get to a point where it makes them look very foolish and they're going to force it, or will Team Trump be able to somehow force her into an unscripted moment with a debate or something like that. Other than that, I think this is very clear that this is her strategy and she's going to continue running with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Indeed, Now let's have a look at the claims by the Donald Trump campaign team that they've been hacked by Iran. This came after Politico received campaign documents via an anonymous email. This included a dossia on JD Vance now Ko. A Trump campaign spokesman, said the documents were illegally obtained by foreign sources hostile to the US. Iran has denied responsibility. That's neither here nor there. Do you think, though, that there is credible reason for the Trump campaign to suspect that Iran might have been behind this leak. You know, it's possible.
Speaker 17: There are many, many opponents to the Trump campaign, and it's kind of remarkable how many battlefronts he has to fight on, both with domestic institutions that are against him as well as foreign But I think it's been widely held view ever since he entered the political arena that a lot of these countries, be it Iran, be it China, be it whoever, they are less inclined to be supportive of a Trump presidency because he's on predictable, he's a bit brash, he is very America first, and that may or may not align with somebody certainly like Iran, but even other countries, whereas the other side seems to be a little bit more controlled or controllable. So I think it's not outside the realm of possibility.
Speaker 2: Who knows.
Speaker 17: I think this has been stitched together from a statement Microsoft put out there suggesting Iran was a bad actor and something like this a couple of months ago, and then US security sources are also confirming it certainly a possibility.
Speaker 2: And what do you think the polls are now telling us about Kamala Harris v. Trump, and given the polls are showing that she has a chance at winning, was the move to replace Biden with her a good one?
Speaker 17: It would seem that way for now where she you know, number one definitely stemmed the tide of the cratering that was happening with Biden after that disastrous debate. So that was one issue where diehard Democrats were even abandoning him. They have come back home, So I would say that's a tick in her column. The second thing about the the battleground states, the swing states, it certainly seems like it's tightening. There is momentum for her, but it's still I think the jury is out on how this is going to go. It's going to be super close, but for now it's certainly better than the alternative, which was Biden in their case.
Speaker 2: All Right, Kosha Dada, thank you so much for your time, and that's why I've got time for tonight. I'll see you tomorrow at eight. And here's Paul Mari