Speaker 1: Approche production.
Speaker 2: John Jasper Jensen was last seen on Sunday, the twenty fifth of June twenty seventeen by his daughters when they dropped him home at his house in Ocean Reef, Perth, Western Australia. The next day, he vanished into thin air. Has never been seen or heard of since it shattered a family apart and driven a massive wedge between two sisters. John had some medical conditions and suffered depression, but the doctor's report at the time of his disappearance said he seemed to be fine, quite chirpy. Head back to the first few episodes to hear more. Right now, we take you back to the moment that Belle arrived at a dad's house. The neighbor is out the front. It's eight thirty on Monday night. AD's garage door is wide open and there are no lights on. Darren Bell's husband is worried that there might be someone in the house. This was the same house but six years before Belle found her mum dead. Belle walks into the house and sees bloody footprints all over the floor.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, I was panicking.
Speaker 3: I was I was shaking, and now I'm going to do this, and I'm trying to tell myself, I handle it better than last time. Bell, I'm so angry at myself for what I did with mom, and I was like, just handle this situation better.
Speaker 1: But anyway, I was. I was lucky that the neighbor was out the front.
Speaker 3: She was loving, you know, and obviously very caring and looking after him, and she was worried, you know.
Speaker 1: She was out the front looking stressed.
Speaker 3: And she met me there and I said, were you coming with me since I found my mom dead, you know, and she goes, of course, we're not.
Speaker 1: I'm so grateful she did that.
Speaker 3: So I went and got the key because you get to keep spare key in the garage. Yeah, I went to use it to walk in the house, but the door was unlocked, and that was very unusual. That always kept his door locked. So I thought, well, hey, that's unusual. And second thing that unusual that there was no lights on. Yeah we're talking sort of eight forty probably around that time, and it was pitch black.
Speaker 1: I thought, what's going on here?
Speaker 3: Because even the neighbor would say, you always had that front light on. That's where you lived, that front land room, that's that's pretty much where he lived in his recliner and watching your TV. So anyway, Yeah, walked in and what looked like, initially this sounds odd, but sort of feathers scattered in the distance in the kitchen area. And I was like, what's going on over there? And I put the light on and then I just saw blood. Yeah, all these blood footprints pretty much. It was very in your face then, and there was there was quite a lot of blood, and I was like, what the hell has happened here? And I yelled out and and the neighbor yelled out, and I noticed it a small glass pane was broken. And at the time, I'm like, oh, my god, has the accidentally hurt himself. He's got in a hospital, he's got you know, what the hell has happened? I did not know million things from through your head, and I didn't want to make the same mistakes again. I just called my husband that I just had to. That was just the first thing I thought to do. And then he called the police. So yeah, we just waited.
Speaker 1: For them to arrive, and it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was really really bizarre, really really really bizarre.
Speaker 2: The garage roller door is open. Yes, there are no lights on in the house as you've turned the lights on, you walk in by yourself, and you notice blood all over the floor and a broken pane of one of the internal doors. So it's not an external door, it's an.
Speaker 1: Internal door absolutely.
Speaker 3: And there was a spa bath there foot spar set up in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: I was like, what the I did not like.
Speaker 3: Dada had actually used this particular foot spa to just you know, ic his feet, you know, but he'd have it blooded dinner, and he'd have it in the front land room, sitting in front of the TV in his declina chair. So the fact that this was sit up set up on tiles in the kitchen area, I was like, what's That's very odd.
Speaker 1: That was the first thing that was very odd.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't plugged in, and so it appeared to be like that he'd been icing his feet out on the tiles. Again, doesn't make sense if you've got numb feet and you're standing.
Speaker 1: And you know, you could slip.
Speaker 3: So that's and that had that was full of blood. That whole that whole foot spa was full of blood. And I was like, what the you know, hell's happened? But initially, again I'm just hoping, thinking and praying that it is something as simple as he has just accidentally kicked this love. Also, you know he's accidentally he'd cut himself and tried to get himself to the hospital, you know.
Speaker 1: And I remember telling that look. I said to the sergeant, I said, what can I do? Can I can I help call the hospitals?
Speaker 3: And they were like, nope, You've got We've got one number that we call and all of them.
Speaker 1: So it's all good.
Speaker 2: You didn't hear about your dad's disappearance or something strange going on at the house until late thirty at night by text. That text was from your sister. Great, when did she hear about that there was an issue?
Speaker 1: She was not the message at seven o two.
Speaker 2: Okay, So there was just a bit of time there. So essentially the neighbors saw it early in the morning, saw the door open at the garage door at about six forty five am, and then went to work. And I guess you wouldn't really, you know, for garage stores open. I don't know whether you'd make a phone call straight away to say someone's missing. You might go. I wonder why that is. It might be strange, but not necessarily any criminal activity. So I guess the navy gets home then from work that afternoon. Is that right, and the house is the same as it was.
Speaker 1: In the morning, Yes, And it hit home something's not right.
Speaker 2: So police arrive after the phone call from Darren, after you've spoken to him, and they arrive at nine to twenty three. What happens then?
Speaker 3: I was met with him at the front and I felt like, initially I put his nose out of doing a little bit, I'll be honest.
Speaker 1: Because.
Speaker 3: Because Darren had obviously said that I don't know if someone's still in the house, so it was treated initially like, oh my gosh, you know.
Speaker 1: High priority.
Speaker 3: And then when he arrived and I said, I don't think anyone's in the house, and immediately before even going in the house, he's sort of called it off and going, no, no, it's not as bad as we think.
Speaker 1: You know, there's no one in the house.
Speaker 3: And but you know, then they go in and sort of they made their own he made his own assumptions on what had happened. I guess, you know, because they hadn't seen what they described as any sort of forced entry. There were assumptions made. You know, obviously, I was asked, you know, has he got any health issues? And I said, well, obviously the spa, but the foot spar was set up, so I did say he had the proof from Europosy and and I said.
Speaker 1: But this is out of character.
Speaker 3: This is not something that he would do, like you know, I tried. The first thing the police were told is no, you know, this is out of character.
Speaker 1: There's something wrong here. It's not right.
Speaker 2: So at ten oh seven that evening, a missing person's police investigation is commenced because either way, there was a serious concern for your dad's safety.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: What happens? Then? Do you call your sister?
Speaker 3: Well, look, she it actually haven't been major dental surgery that day that morning. So I decided to leave her obviously, rest or whatever she needs to do.
Speaker 1: And I tried calling my brother in law.
Speaker 2: How was your relationship with your sister back at that point?
Speaker 3: Look, as I said that there were issues. I guess every family has problems. That's not widely known.
Speaker 1: Is it.
Speaker 3: So there were certain things that they had put strain on our relationships, especially over the last few years. We were still seeing each other, you know, but yeah, there were issues. There were things, you know, a relationship was already becoming a bit strained.
Speaker 2: Did the police then start a search that evening?
Speaker 3: Not what they did was when they did I don't know what's called it inward outward or something like that. So they have all the vehicles starting from Dad's premise he's properly in ocean reef, and then they went their way out, so they go and scan the whole perimeter. And yeah, I mean, I guess that's what you have to find and do in that sort of situation, is it, because we were trying to find a car at that point, and so yeah, I believe, you know, and Hilary's police, the lady there, she was great. She was keeping me in the loop and you know, keeping me informed and.
Speaker 1: You know, what have you.
Speaker 3: But you know, I couldn't get hold of my brother in law and I tried probably about three times. So in the end, I was like, what do I do? Because my husband couldn't come searching with.
Speaker 2: Me because you've got the kids at home, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: They were in bed at home.
Speaker 3: So in hindsight, I gone, why didn't I ask the neighbor to go sit with the kids, and you know, my husband support But there's a lot of things you think of me hindsight, you know, why didn't I do this?
Speaker 1: One? Didn't I do that?
Speaker 3: So anyway, I couldn't get hold of my brother in law, which I thought was strange.
Speaker 1: So I'd been sent over to check on my father if it was all right. So that was a bit odd to me.
Speaker 3: But I got hold of my auntie, and this particular auntie was sort of like stepped up as a mum to me when my mom died, and I knew she'd drop everything, and she did. She came straight there and we just drove all the around the routes trying to on the way to hospital because again in my brain, he was a John dowein hospital. That's all I kept thinking. Nothing else made sense at that point. I guess that was the most reasonable.
Speaker 1: Thing that could have happened in my brain, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And we drove around, We went drove around to the hospital area car parks and just I don't know, I was expecting to see the cars and you have an accident on the way to the.
Speaker 1: Hospital, law, do you know?
Speaker 2: But yeah, from here on in in the story of Jasper's disappearance, you'll see that there is a difference of opinion on what happened to John Jensen. Bell and Darren firmly believed that there's something more sinister at play. They don't believe that her dad just up and vanished. Police and the coroner have a different view, and later in this episode we'll hear from the investigating officer, Joe Burr, But for now, let's get Darren Bell's husband's view on when he visited the house the next day with Belle.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, first he went to the scene where the footspar was and the broken glass and the blood, and like Bell, that did not make sense.
Speaker 2: Why that was there.
Speaker 4: Yes, we bought him this foot spar and he used to use it, but as Belle said, he did that in his recliner chair in the lounge room and watching his fox fell and normally watching golf, So I thought that was odd.
Speaker 2: Also, there was a lot of.
Speaker 4: Body footprints around from one particular foot's right heel, and they just didn't make sense. They're going in every direction, they were fire apart, they were close together. They'll sort of half half footprints on then more full footprints, and yeah, there's this broken glass, and it just didn't make sense to me how there was this brain glass. I couldn't go up and check out everything because I didn't want to interfere with the scene at all. But it just the whole scene just did not make sense to me. It did not make sense why the foot spar was out there, the footprints didn't make sense to me. How he actually cut his foot didn't make sense. Because the police, when the forensics team were there, were both there and they said, oh, well, it looks like he's been bathing his feet and he's they've been hurting so much. He's got frustrated, and he's got up and kicked this French door, and then he's cut his foot, and then he's attended to the wounds, and then he's going, well I've had enough of all this, and then he's driven now and twenty minutes to kill himself, which nowe that made sense. But I was looking at the glass and I was like, he's cut the back of his heel. You're saying he's kicked this glass door, But if he was, it didn't look like he was a big six foot so I was thirteen shoe. I couldn't see how he physically could have got his foot that far through the panel or the door to cut it. The only what had made sense to us is if he was traveling backwards that he cut his heel on this door, which then sort of threw the police theories into question. It's like, well, he hasn't walked up and kicked this door. He's somehow broken this glass on the door some other way and cut his foot. And so, really, the logistics of me and I try to be quite analytical at times, I just couldn't not and still to this day when I look at the photes figure out how he actually cut his foot. So it didn't make sense to me. Our initial thought was he didn't do this. Something's happened and untoward to him, and it's been made to look like he's done something, and it did look like it, but the actual and no one can still tell me this day how he's actually cut his foot to it. Logistically, I just don't see how it's happened. And yeah, and why would he be bathing his feet on a nice water on tiles just doesn't make sense. And so, yeah, the whole scene didn't make sense to me. And we're trying to explain this to the police. But at the time but it was just falling on deaf years. Was more like, you know, looking down at us, saying leave it to the experts sort of thing. And every time Belle tried to say something that my father wouldn't have done this, you know, we've been through this with my mother to a certain degree and whatever else when we've had conversations, and he just almost laughed at Belle and well, that doesn't mean anything, and it's like to do with that, it actually does mean something. So, yeah, the whole whole thing didn't make sense. Not once was I think, oh, yeah, that he's had a bad day and he's gone off to kill himself sort of thing. And yeah, and then we find out the cars bound up in Lanceton and then the story goes from there.
Speaker 2: On Tuesday, the twenty eighth of June, the media starts covering the story In Perth. Darren and Bell both make pleas to the public for information or possible sightings of John or his car.
Speaker 5: Jahn's neighbors raised the alarm yesterday when they noticed the elderly man's garage open and his car missing. He hasn't been seen since Sunday, and his family are understandably worried.
Speaker 4: Any information from the great appreciated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a beautiful granddad. Thanks funny one.
Speaker 5: Now they say it's completely unlike the widower to go out for so long without making contact. John's wife died six years ago. He lives alone. He's described as one hundred and eighty five centimeters tall, large build with graying hair.
Speaker 2: And then that evening a breakthrough. Jorn's car is found in Lancelen outside a pub. Well.
Speaker 6: The discovery of John Jensen's car outside the Lancelon Beach Hotel is a big breakthrough in the police search for the missing Ocean Reef grandfather. The sixty eight year old hadn't been seen since Sunday, after all lunch.
Speaker 2: So at eight ten that evening, you get a call from police that.
Speaker 1: Was to say that the media release that we did you know you had worked.
Speaker 3: Obviously that was widely spread and the car was located up in Lanceln. I was shocked because you know, that place had no connection or relevance, you know, to our family.
Speaker 1: But obviously I received news like that.
Speaker 3: So the first thing I tried to do is a former sister to keep her in the loop and let her know to be told that she's already halfway up there, and I was like, oh, okay, So I ran the I ran the police back. I rang her back, and I said, look, she's actually she's actually got a way out there.
Speaker 1: I remember every Asian with the whole shit. That's not good.
Speaker 3: You know, she's going to get there before Lancelop police can get there because there was a bit of delay I think of availability up and you know, Lancelom police, and so yeah, that's that's what happened. She ended up going up there with her girlfriend slash alibi at the time, you know.
Speaker 1: Apparently she said that her friend had had a dream that he was north, so they headed north.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they got there.
Speaker 2: So your sister, Just for clarity, your sister hadn't been contacted by police before you to tell her.
Speaker 3: That, no, no, no, I guess I was in contact. I was the person, and so they were just lasing with myself and I was just making you know, I kept her in the loop with any information, and that's what I did.
Speaker 2: Lancelot is a small fishing town one hundred and twenty seven kilometers north of Perth in w A. It's a beautiful part of the world and I know because I grew up there as a kid in the late seventies. I would sit outside the pub John's car was discovered at waiting for my dad to finish his beer while me and my brothers ate sand boyd chips and drunk soft drink. It's a sleepy town of under one thousand people. Around Christmas time, the town's numbers swell to almost triple that. It was originally called by its Aboriginal name on Gare, but was renamed in the early nineteen fifties. Lancelom is also a very close knit town, especially in the winter months when the wood ducks or out of town visitors as the locals would call them, leave. It's an unusual place to head unless you're heading there for a reason. I wanted to know from Bell if Lancelom was a place her dad had been before, or if it was a place of significance.
Speaker 3: Look again, these friends, you know that I regularly saw ken Engezer. They loved you know, I loved going on there, and they drives and that will close with dad.
Speaker 1: You know, they had a really good relationship.
Speaker 3: So they kept on saying come on, come on, yes, but we'll come for a drive on a Sunday drive and come and have lunch with this and so yeah, they had actually gone to that Lancelon Beach Hotel before and had lunch there as a passenger. He was obviously taken up there, and there was the second time, you know they visited the pinnacles and then went and had another bite to week, So technically he'd been there twice.
Speaker 2: Had he ever been to the Lanceln Beach Hotel?
Speaker 1: Not prior to that? Only with only with Kennan Gezer.
Speaker 2: This is a question that I think is different for your answer will be different to some of the answers that in the coroner's report, But I'm going to ask it anyway. In your opinion, could your dad drive?
Speaker 3: No? No, especially after that fall.
Speaker 2: No, When was the last time he drove? If he had a driven on that day, let's just say that, Okay, maybe he did drive on that day in the twenty fifth, When was the last time before the twenty fifth of June twenty seventeen, you see your father drive.
Speaker 3: The fifth or sixth of March when he was going to play that try and play that nine holes of golf.
Speaker 1: And know this is all bat duck by friends and email as well yep.
Speaker 2: And in that period had anyone else seen him drive from March through too.
Speaker 1: Apparently the neighbor said she had seen him a few weeks.
Speaker 3: Before, you know, and I thought that was odd, but you know, because my sister was, you know, sort of stepped up to the care of role, so she was taking him to all his appointments, especially after the fall, because you know, he couldn't drive, you know, it was his right hand. You know, Dad was even saying I have to learn and want my bum with my left.
Speaker 1: Hand, ben't he And you know he couldn't.
Speaker 3: He was not driving, Okay, after this ball in April, he was not driving.
Speaker 2: Was it a manual car or automatic car?
Speaker 1: It was automatic automatic? Okay.
Speaker 4: We actually have an email tiede that boat sister, which he obviously at this time wasn't even one thing you're typing because of his barely broken wrist, but it clearly explains that he's not able to drive to well after that date.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it worked out that he was officially able to drive around the fifteenth.
Speaker 2: Of July, Okay, and that's primarily because he's broken right.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yeah, because he was actually still wearing a brace at the time.
Speaker 1: He went missing.
Speaker 3: So the cars have been removed, but he was still wearing an armbrace, a black Armbros.
Speaker 2: Your dad wore glasses, he did? What did he wear.
Speaker 1: Glasses for reading and driving? You know?
Speaker 2: And were the glasses found in your dad's car when the car was found in Lanston.
Speaker 1: No, they were next chair where he used to keep them.
Speaker 2: In the house. In the house, Bell and Darren believe that it would be near impossible for Jessper to drive one hour and seventeen minutes from his house to Lancelin with a broken wrist, his medical issues and what would seem to be a badly please foot. First Class Constable Joseph Burr was the investigating officer at the time of the Current's report in October of last year.
Speaker 7: Yeah. So I'm a senior constable. I work at the Homicide Squad. We have a team in the Missing Person Unit that's me and five others, and we are responsible for overseeing the long term missing personal investigations in Western Australia.
Speaker 2: And so you've worked on the John Jensen case for how old?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I took over from the previous investigating officer, probably is around the start of twenty eighteen. I believe. So we're coming up to just less than three years really since I took over that investigation.
Speaker 2: And so you would have been really important in the delivery of the brief to the coroner, Is that right?
Speaker 7: Yeah? So I was responsible for writing the report, collating all of the information that we had collected, and making sure that was delivered without any I hope, without any bias at all to the coroner, so that an informed decision could be made.
Speaker 2: How long have you been a police officer for I've.
Speaker 7: Been a police officer now for just over ten years, five years in the UK and then I transferred over to the Western Australia Police in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: And you've done a bunch of missing person's cases, I'm guessing yeah.
Speaker 7: So, I mean I've always been in and around missing per case throughout my ten year career in I think it was around November twenty seventeen are transferred to the missing person unit. So it's just been just over three years now that I've solely dedicated my time to missing personal investigations.
Speaker 2: Talk to me about what police did once they found mister Jensen's car.
Speaker 7: The investigation in those early days changed as thin as that vehicle is located because what that what they gave us is the last known position. Obviously, he physically could not necessarily be put there, but there was a reasonable suspicion formed at the time that he had taken his own vehicle to that location, and as such, that vehicle was seen as the last known position, and as such a search was initiated from that vehicle and some distance away from that vehicle. So that area is a coastal location. The actual car park is right next to the beach, so the search took place on land, and there was a marine search and rescue operation covering the ocean there, so it was quite an extensive search. The mapping that was initiated at the time was pretty extensive, and I believe that that area was very well covered by search and officers and supporting units. At the time.
Speaker 2: There was some CCTV of Jasper's car dright or reported car.
Speaker 7: I should say, well, obviously we had what we had is we had a last position where we believed just as the vehicle was prior to going to Lanston, so that was his home address in Ocean Reefs, and then we had his vehicle in position in that car park in Lancelin that was believed to be where he had then taken off from his vehicle. So we or officers that were investigating at the time, they tried to track that vehicle back and they managed to obtain CCTV of what is suspected to be mister Jensen's vehicle leaving or going in the direction one would believe the vehicle to travel if he was traveling away from time address, and later some further CCTV from a different address that is again believed to be or suspected to be mister Jensen's vehicle traveling up towards lance On this CCTV footage, you can't see who is in the vehicle, and you also can't see the regio of the vehicle, and you can't even the quality is not great to the point that you can't even identify that it is his vehicle. But obviously, what we do know is that his vehicle at some point left his home address and then was located in Lancelin. So that is the two CCTV clips that were obtained, they would cover the route most likely or suspected to have been traveled by that vehicle. So although we can't one hundred percent say that's mister Jenson's vehicle. I personally suspect that to be his vehicle, and no other footage was located that could suggest otherwise.
Speaker 2: And so that footage was obtained via CCTV camera and obviously timestamps. So it was early on the morning of the twenty sixth of June.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was. There was a slight issue with the second I mean, did I deal with a lot of CCTV and it's quite vital in a lot of investigations, but unfortunately, quite often the time stamps are out on CCTV systems. So the best we we could actually formulate is that the clip where he's leaving or we believe his vehicle is leaving his home address or close to his home address, we believe that to be in the early hours of that Monday, and the next clip is when it's light in Lanceling, So we're unable to get an exact time on that clip, but it was in and around the time you would expect his vehicles to be traveling up there.
Speaker 2: And as you've mentioned, there was no way to be able to tell if John was driving that car or someone else was driving that car.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, I was unable to confirm during the investigation who was driving that big or even how many patterns.
Speaker 1: In that big.
Speaker 2: John didn't have a mobile phone, so you weren't able to ping it or trace it or do anything like that. Is that right?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 7: Unfortunately not That's usually an important investigative action for us. But yeah, unfortunately, he didn't have a mobile phone. I think he had a hands me down phone that was given to him in the past, but that wasn't something that he carried with him.
Speaker 2: Joe. Were there any other persons of interest in regards to the case of him going missing?
Speaker 7: No, there I can honestly say that that during the investigation, there's there's been There's been nothing, no evidence that has suggested anybody else was physically or even planning any involvement in this disappearance. So in terms of persons of interest, as with any missing personal investigation, you have to look at any any feasible outcome, so you might you might formulate some possibilities and look into certain routes, but there wasn't anything that stipulated to me or any evidence that was located suggested anybody was involved.
Speaker 2: And with that evidence, if there was someone you're investigating, would that evidence include you pinging their mobile phones to see there whereabouts on the morning, et cetera.
Speaker 7: We we can if we're doing investigation and we think that there's a possibility that somebody was in company with a miss in person, we there is legislation that allows us to investigate and look into the phone records of other people. Obviously we have to we have to make sure that we can form with privacy law on that. So only if we can start to formulate some kind of possible route or journey that he may have taken with somebody else, do we start to have a look at that. But we're usual these things not only to include people in an investigation, but also to rule it out, so you're not focusing on areas where you it's going to lead to a dead end. You know, there's all these possibilities that we need to look at, and sometimes that's a helpful tool for us to lose a reasonable suspicion that somebody else is involved.
Speaker 2: So knowing that Lancelom Beach Hotel, I know that area pretty well. There's a caravan park behind the hotel, there's a beach pretty much, you know, maybe one hundred and fifty two hundred meters away, which sort of has some shrubberry and bushland really you know beachy style of spring bushes as we used to call them growing up in that town. Were police dogs used to see whether there any evidence of mister Jensen walking down to the beach or anywhere else.
Speaker 7: Yes, search dogs would have been used, I believe by sees. They usually use search dogs, and we usually have mounted officers there the areas. These guys, the sees and the assistant officers and assistant units are very experienced in covering areas and ensuring that areas are completely saturated prior to moving on. So there wasn't any evidence of him being in the location or any articles that belonged to mister Jensen being there. So unfortunately, I can I can look back at that search and you know, I can't criticize that search. That search was very intensive and very thorough from what we can see from the report. So I like to think that if mister Jensen was there, or any article was there, then we would have located it on the day. Unfortunately, we have the dynamic of the marine search now that's very different to a land search because you have the random nature of the ocean, and you can look at tidal predictions. You can look at that. There is modeling that takes place to predict if something or somebody goes into the water, where they may end up. But due to the Iraqic nature of the ocean there and the amount of variables such as marine life, such as the tides, it's very difficult to determine exactly where someone will go if they are to go into the water. So that was another dynamic that was facing them on the day and they searched it or sorry, the days of search, and they did as good a job as they could have done.
Speaker 2: Ugly Bell agrees that the search for a dad once she arrived in Lanceland that afternoon was without faults.
Speaker 3: Oh look does the sea search up in Landslon. I can't fault it, you know they I was even told if he was up here, we would have found him.
Speaker 1: You know, it was extensive.
Speaker 3: I want to thank all of the volunteers, you know, seventy honest yes people. What I mean you watch you watch them all horses and dogs, and I mean it's crazy, you know, you think all these people were trying to help find my dad. And at the time I always felt a disconnect. I didn't feel like Dad was up in Lancelin. So I was very grateful and I kept telling them police that I'm like, this is I want you to Can we not have just can we not focus on ocean reef as well? Like? But unfortunately, because the car was found there in Lancelin, the focus was in Lanceloin and they were told that they have to go off the first thing that I was told. They got off the first thing they're told, which was that my dad was suicidal. And I was like, what My heart sunk when my brother law said I had to tell him that, I had to tell him.
Speaker 1: That, and I'm like, what the heck are you doing?
Speaker 3: I didn't understand. And unfortunately that's what they were told up there. And I believe that that formed the.
Speaker 1: Tone of the tone, focus or whatever the investigation.
Speaker 3: You know, he was just saying even though two days, you know, he's reported from his doctor that he had no suicidal tendencies and you're not depressed, He's feeling fantastic. You know, they've taken the views of one person, you know, and when you have two daughters, I don't think they should do that. I think they should always talk to all family members, especially in situations not this. If you've got chalk and cheese, like, come on, black and white, talk to both of them, try and find out there's something wrong here. Let's surely you know, one of them saying something's wrong, something's wrong, jumping up and down. And we had a big meeting on that last day of the search with three senior senior officers. Probably I mean, there's no record of this particular meaning on the file and the brief, but we were like, what is going on? And we were told you know that I don't know, you've got magical power, magical powers, and you know, it's amazing what people want to do when they would want to give up.
Speaker 1: You know, it's amazing. Because I was saying, you couldn't have driven that far.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it was almost like that story of you know, you've been bitten by bloody Spider and you've got these special powers.
Speaker 1: It's like I was like, well, what is going on here?
Speaker 3: I was confused, But I was also told this has never happened before, and that was a known suicide location and there was going to be a massive investigation because I was told by them up there that if we if he was up here we would have found.
Speaker 2: Him in the next episode.
Speaker 7: The initial assessment of the investigation that continues to this day is that no evidence of any criminality has been located.
Speaker 3: It was odd that there was no blood at all found from this one particular area. You know, if he's walked out of the house, there would have been blood either through the lounge on the carpet, or through the tiles, or in the football of the the car, especially after driving an hour.
Speaker 7: It would be prudent now to look back and be able to swab the football, for example. But the critical decision at the time was that that was not necessary. And I haven't seen any corroborating evidence that says that would show anything different to what we currently have.
Speaker 2: What about your dad's bank accounts? Were they touched?
Speaker 1: That's a tricky one, that's true, and I've got to.
Speaker 3: Be careful what I will say. And I think it's important to say this, and I have a right because this is my dad.
Speaker 1: This is my story.
Speaker 3: This is what happened the friday before my dad went missing. I popped in on my way home from work. I was holding an AGM slip in his hand, and he's in bety. This person is a stole of my money.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to this episode and supporting this story. Independent storytelling that shapes the world is what podshape really cares about right now, There's thousands of people listening to this show and our other true Crimes, and they're completely engaged. More than ten million Australians listen to podcasts each week. If you've ever thought about advertising your business in a podcast, there's a link to reach out in the show notes, or head to podshape dot com to book a free call.