Speaker 1: I've definitely dated my fair share of douchebags. My time.
Speaker 2: Let's get tingling.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm spiraling. Oh my God, tell us.
Speaker 2: Everything flame emojis cleft, right and center.
Speaker 1: Matt loves a bit of God.
Speaker 2: And I need to text you back. I really need.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: I'm jealous. I'm the most jealous person ever.
Speaker 2: Relationships like a fart. If you have to force it, it's probably shiit Hi.
Speaker 1: City dot Com for you.
Speaker 3: I'll be a bloody single and alone with ten cats for the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Lie.
Speaker 3: On today's episode of Where's Your Head Out, we are jumping straight back into our Love Island tea spill.
Speaker 2: All right, I know, let's not fuck spiders. Let's get straight back into it.
Speaker 3: Where's Your Head At is a podcast that talks all things relationships, breakups, reality TV, trending shows, and everything in between.
Speaker 2: This is your new go to destination for laughs, gossip, intimate details, advice, and much more. All right, and so we've already spilt a lot of tea, a lot of tea. So we've asked you guys to ask us your top questions about Love Island and our experience. So do we want to jump in let's do it all right. So the first one is do you have access to the outside world at all?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: So you literally get off of the plane because we filmed in Fiji, and they take away your phone, your passport.
Speaker 1: You literally become a prisoner you do.
Speaker 2: So. I remember literally coming off the plane and the producer was standing there and she's like passport and wallet and phone, and I was just like, it's like, can I least say good to my mum? And she was like yeah, sure, and I was just like see your mom, see on the other side, and then just handed it over. I remember being in the car on the way to the hotel where we stayed out. I was like real stress, Like I was like, shit, this is real.
Speaker 1: Now, it's all becoming very real. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you basically away from your phone for seven weeks, which is crazy in itself because people wantn't get off their phone these days seven minutes seven minutes, let alone seven weeks. And when you actually get your phone back, the feeling is so bizarre.
Speaker 1: It just feels like a different world.
Speaker 2: I remember picking up my phone, like turning it back on and like I was looking at like their notifications because it was seven weeks of it, and I remember shaking, like my hand was shaking. I was like, I was like, I'm not ready for this, you know what I mean? And like everything had happened, people had seen everything that had happened in there.
Speaker 1: You don't know, and you don't know what they've seen, and you don't.
Speaker 2: Know do you remember that? Like the four of us we all just I remember just taking a phone charge and I sat in like the restaurant of the thing, and I just sat on my phone. I was like for two or three hours just scrolling replying back to people. I didn't even know where any of you guys were. I was just engulfed in it because I was like, what the fuck has happened? Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember calling my parents and the reception was really bad, and I was like, oh, I just want to talk to people normally and calling my best friends and then being like knowing who Josh was and like, how do you know?
Speaker 2: I haven't told you exactly? And I'm in the group chat with the boys. They're like talking about like cart hearing that, and I was like, what the fuck? You know what I mean? I was like, this is wild. They're like talking about her coming to like our parties in that, and I was just like, I was like, what the fuck.
Speaker 3: It almost feels like an invasion of privacy because you go on the show and you know it's being filmed. You know you're being filmed the whole time, and in the back of your mind to some level, know that people are watching. But when you get your phone back and they've actually been watching, You're like, oh my god. I remember when I first got my phone back and someone had sent me a clip and it was a clip of Josh and I in the shower and how do I describe this? They had cut me off just before the so we basically like are naked in the shower together. And I was like, oh my god, I am humiliated. And it had like millions of years, so I was shocked. I was like, what have I done that, I've ruined my life?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember that was wild. And then like the little clips I was seeing and I was like, I even don't even remember saying this.
Speaker 1: I was like, what the it's wild.
Speaker 3: It was next question that you guys want to know, do you agree with how they made you look on the show.
Speaker 2: We spoke about it before, Yeah, I do, I do. I mean, like I said, they pick one bit of your personality. They could have picked anything. I mean, I was the funny guy I should have been from the start, but the way it is, they made me the emotional guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the emotional model. Well with the sense of humor.
Speaker 2: I think at the start they wanted me to be a bit of like the player ahead and the player, and then I think they realized, quick spark that that's not my personality. Yeah, I'm not actually like the player, Like I come across like that, but.
Speaker 3: Would someone dis I agree, I do it tastefully at least, what is being a player tastefully that Like, No, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, I'm not. I just yeah, I'm not like that. Then they realized that quick smart, and they're like, we're gonna have to like.
Speaker 3: Adapts adapt said, yeah, I mean, look, I definitely think my personality was shown. I definitely was seen to be doing a lot of mothering of cars, yeah, which is definitely in my personality, and very nurturing my relationship with Josh, like we were obsessed with each other, so that was seen a lot. The one thing they didn't show is if Josh and I had a bit of a fight.
Speaker 2: I remember that that was that like when we, like you guys were hating each.
Speaker 1: Other, we were having a massive fight.
Speaker 2: Yes, thinking the right time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I remember we were in the fight and Josh got on the bike and they asked a question about me and he said something cute and I smiled like just like a little bit, And that was the only part that they showed.
Speaker 1: And the whole time I was like, I was like in a bad mood. I was like this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: None of the fights of Josh and I was showing because they wanted us to look like this amazing couple who were so in love and would never fight.
Speaker 1: But that just wasn't the reality.
Speaker 2: So another question is is love and scripted? Do the producers tell you what to do?
Speaker 1: It's not scripted.
Speaker 2: None of it is scripted, none of it. We're out there doing our own thing. But the one thing they tell you to do would be where to sit to have certain conversations.
Speaker 3: You and you're constantly probed to talk about your emotions with people, even if it's been like ten minutes since you said that you like them. They're like, go have a chat and discuss how you feel, which is so uncomfortable and would never happen in real life, but.
Speaker 2: That early into a relationships totally.
Speaker 3: I think one thing that people don't really get a clear sense of is we obviously go into the beach hut to talk with the producers, which comes is edited into the footage that they have from the day or the week or whatever. And I think you get a clear sense of what the producers want you to say. And I think that in a way could be classified as being somewhat manipulated, because they might say to you.
Speaker 2: I remember that they never would straight up asking what to say. They would have a roundabout sort of way.
Speaker 3: Yet they would have an angle, and you could tell what their angle was, and until you said it.
Speaker 2: You're not getting out of that beacht. You're not coming to bed.
Speaker 3: So they'd be like, so, Matt, you like Isabelle and Jordan. You actually like Jordan more. But they would be like, but we think that you and Isabelle are so cute. Let's talk about Isabelle. And then in your head you'd know that they wanted you to be with Isabelle.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, which brings us to the next question, did the producers matchmake couples? And I think that I've told you. I think that was the only time that I was steered in one direction. Yeah, and they never told me who to pick, but the way they were talking, they steered me to Isabelle away from Jordan, which naturally I would have picked Jordan. Yeah, but I felt like I was steered in that direction.
Speaker 1: And you've told me that you regret that, right, Yes.
Speaker 2: I do regret not picking Jordan. Yeah, I would have picked her. She was definitely my flavor. Yeah. So next question we were asked is do any of the couples have sex on the show?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think a lot more than you'd probably think.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember when I first arrived into the Love Island villa and Matt's bed was situated very close to mine. I'm comfortably close, and there was a lot of noise coming from your bed. I was like, wow, like we're on camera, like it's the series.
Speaker 2: I remember when I got off what I didn't have any fants on and you were like fuck, Matt, I was like, oh, disgusting. Yeah, I think a lot of the couples did. But did it even show any of that sort of stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So they definitely don't show anyone having sex obviously, because it's not born, but it's implied. It's definitely implied, And some people got a worse edit than others. Like I felt so sorry for Margarita, Like people were getting up to serious mischief in the bedroom and they made it out like she was going crazy with Blake in the bed. So I was like, when I watched it back, I was like, I feel bad for Like, if I was targeted like that after seeing what everyone else was getting up to, I.
Speaker 1: Would be pissed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yeah, I went into the show being like, there's no way I'm going to be sleeping with anyone on there, Like.
Speaker 1: I'm never going to be having sex on camera.
Speaker 3: Like even saying that out loud feels so wild. But yeah, when you're sleeping in bed with someone who you really like every single night.
Speaker 2: You're only human.
Speaker 1: He'd be surprised what happens under the cover.
Speaker 2: Ye gonna crack it or get angry about that. So another question is are there cameras in the Love Island toilets? Yes, sirious, there's cameras everywhere. You literally cannot get off camera the whole time. Yeah. I remember I was having a little silk one time and I was laying on the back and I literally watched the camera follow me get off, like sit somewhere else that I've tried to walk to another place, and it literally was following year and I was just like, fuck off. I was like, seriously with some time to myself.
Speaker 3: And you know what, every single person in there, literally within forty eight hours has had a mild to large mental breakdown, mainly on the large side, Like I think twenty four hours in I.
Speaker 1: Was bawling my eyes out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it just wasn't shown because it's such a foreign environment. You literally have a breakdown because it's so overwhelming. Like the feeling of being in there and being on camera twenty four to seven is, without a doubt, the most overwhelmed I've ever felt in my life. And I remember one so I was also having a bit of a breakdown and I just felt claustrophobic, like I felt like the walls were closing in on me and I couldn't get out, and I actually they could see me freaking out and I started crying and they took me out to the front of the villa just so I could have a breath because I was like, honestly felt like just an overwhelming I was basically heading towards having a panic attack, and I think they could see that, and so they took me out the front to just take a break breath.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, in saying there's cameras everywhere and you're aways on camera, you do forget though, Like I felt like I forgot that I was on camera.
Speaker 3: I mean for the first twenty four hours, I definitely was watching the cameras and kind of figured out where they were all places.
Speaker 2: See, how could you not they were standing there, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they were everywhere, And I think that was a lot to take in.
Speaker 1: But honestly, after the twenty.
Speaker 3: Four hours of your first being in their passes, totally forget, like it's such a far distant memory that you're on camera because.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of other concerns Other than.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of other concerns, like there's so much drama.
Speaker 1: You're constantly on edge.
Speaker 3: Like we used to always say the moment you felt like oh my God, like I can actually relax, something really bad would happen and they'd bring someone else in, they'd bring in a bomb squad, Like it was constant stress. Like I think for seven whole weeks, I was in a constant state of anxiety.
Speaker 2: The same I reckon I was as well. I used to like everyone used to be like, yeah, we've got a challenge today. Woo, I'm so excited. And I used to sit there like, fuck, what are they gonna do to fuck with me today?
Speaker 1: I just like, have I done?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was like, what the fuck are they going to do to me today? So with other challenges, I wasn't as stressed as the ones when I was coupled with Vanessa because I knew that they were going to try a driver wedge between me and her.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right.
Speaker 2: So the final question we got was did anyone have a breakdown?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think everyone had a breakdown at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely did documented that I did.
Speaker 3: I remember I actually because I came in with Phoebe and I remember getting in there, and I think I adapted to the situation a little bit better than she did. And I remember Phoebe just being like, oh my god, I know that I'm on a TV show, but I didn't expect it to be this full on, like I'm being filmed constantly, and she was right like it was insane, Like we would be in the shower number one. The showers were very communal, like everyone in the whole villa saw each other naked. There was no sort of privacy, and you have to remember this is people you don't know, and you're like trying to form relationships with these people.
Speaker 1: And yeah, Phoebe was just like I can't even shower.
Speaker 2: I remember when I walked out to the shower and I'd like look at the cameras and they'd like swing onto the shower and I'm like, fuck, just a little bit of privacy wouldn't hurt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, couldn't go to the bathroom.
Speaker 3: The only thing we were allowed to do is take our mics off to actually go to the bathroom.
Speaker 1: But there was a massive, massive camera.
Speaker 2: Remember every time I walked in through the bathroom, I was like, guys, you don't want to hear this. And I was like gotta be a big one, like strip the micro right off and throw it on the counter. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like, it was just constant anxiety, and when you're in a state of constant anxiety, breakdowns are inevitable. Yeah, like everyone's going to break down. It's really difficult. And as we touched on before, everyone's mental health issues really.
Speaker 1: Got brought to the surface. So we're going to talk about that next, all.
Speaker 2: Right, and let's discuss the mental health issues that come with being on a reality TV show. Obviously, before we go on, they do all the psychological testing. They have a psychologist watching us the whole time we're on there, and we have access to him. But that doesn't take away from the stuff that comes at being on that show.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I think they definitely, for their own legal purposes, have to have a psychologist watching over everything. But I mean, there was definitely a few times that I would see people hit breaking point and the psychologists never really came in to rescue anyone, but people were kind of just like talked off alledge in the villa because they didn't want anyone to leave.
Speaker 2: I remember when I was having one of my first big breakdown in the beach Hut and they offered him to me, and I said.
Speaker 1: No, oh, okay, So they did offer him.
Speaker 2: I thought of it as a sign of like I was like, no, I don't, like, I'm not that bad, do you know what I mean? Like, I didn't want it to be portrayed because if I thought in my head, if it's that bad. Imagine how it's going to look, do you know what I mean? So I was trying to, like myself, talk myself out of it, but obviously it got aired and I was pulling my eyes out.
Speaker 3: So that's interesting because I didn't know that. So when you were crying in the beach Hut and really upset, normally only when everyone because literally you weren't the only person. Every single person had those moments. But they've just aired yours because they were going along with Matt Cryes all the time, that type of vibe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they aired mine, and they probably didn't air anyone else's I don't think. Which was not about Vanessa. That crying, if you want to know the hot goss, it was not about Vanessa. I was missing someone on the outside and I was crying about that. It was bringing up old emotions from that. Wow, And then they made it out like it was Vanessa.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I was crying about my ex and they made it out like it was Vanessa because it was bringing old emotions to the search.
Speaker 1: That's some serious tea. Just yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I mean, look, and I think for anyone who has never been on a reality TV show, which is most people, they run you on not a lot of sleep, Like I reckon, we would be getting three to five hours of sleep at night mat max max. So there was times when the sun was coming up and we were only just going to bed.
Speaker 2: So when we film those beach huts, when we're talking to the camera, that's after a full day. So when we're in our going like our dress up close for the night, that's we don't have any concept of time either. Don't forget that, but that was probably between three to four am in the morning. That's why we look so like tired and what we're saying is actually complete garbage if you think about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So just to touch on that more, we don't have any clocks watches like obviously phones with time on it, so we basically rely on their time schedule.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which they would change, I'm assuming to keep us guessing, because I remember sometimes dinner would be when there was sun. Sometimes it'd be like felt like hours after the sun had set. Yeah, it was wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I mean, yeah, we were definitely overly emotional because we were running on a lack of sleep. And I remember coming out of the villa and everyone had a meeting with the psychologist, and he said to me, don't be surprised if you sleep for like a week or two weeks straight, because you've not actually been getting a lot of sleep in there.
Speaker 1: And he related it somewhat.
Speaker 3: To people who have gone away in the army and haven't slept for days on end, and then they'll come home and do a massive sleep And basically that's what he told me. So even psychologically, I was just like, what, like that sounds bizarre, And he was right. I came back from Fiji and I slept for like a week and a half straight.
Speaker 1: I was exhausted.
Speaker 2: I was actually the opposite. So I was still going off that sleeping pattern. I was going to sleep at all hours of the morning, right, but I was going to a lot of things, like a lot of events in that and I would like come back and I like wouldn't fall asleep till god knows what time, and I'd wake up randomly in the morning, like an early time. So it took me a long time to get back into my normal sleeping pattern.
Speaker 1: Probably still running off a lot of adrenaline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, something that I wanted to touch on which I've never really spoken is coming off of Love Island and my mental state because I was not in a good place.
Speaker 1: I was very dissociated.
Speaker 2: What does associated me, So.
Speaker 3: Being dissociated is when you feel very detached from your environment and the people around you or your body. So when I actually came off of Love Island, I felt like I was watching myself from above. I felt so distant from myself, and I think it was because number one, I came off of the show and I was like, it kind of blew my mind that people had watched the past seven weeks of my life and were really invested in it, which I knew was going to happen, but when it actually happened, I was like, what it felt like a huge invasion of my privacy and it was just really traumatizing. I just felt like I had ruined my life.
Speaker 2: So now that you've said that word, I one hundred percent felt the same. So it was like the lights were on, but like no one was home, so like I was just going through motions. I was like meeting people. I was like I was doing everything that I was meant to be doing, but like I wasn't there, Like I was like, what the what's going on? Like I'm like it wasn't like a shell of myself because I was still myself, but like everything just felt not real. It's just really trippy.
Speaker 1: And you were dissociated.
Speaker 2: And the thing that I don't know if you remember this, but do you remember coming through Melbourne Airport? It was just you and me and we had just grabbed our luggage and we're coming through customs. Do you remember the customs police standing there? Do you remember? I don't know if you know that. They started whispering to each other like there's Anna and Matt and before we even came through the gate, and I remember thinking to myself, what the fuck? Yeah, like, how do they know who the fuck we are? You know what I mean? I was like I remember like pushing our trolley and I was like, this is wild. And then you rely when we came through and everyone was like pointing at us and.
Speaker 3: That yeah, and then there was the paparazz si and it was just like an unreal experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like it was weird.
Speaker 3: It was like we left our life and then we came back to it and everything was different and no one could understand how we fell, even our friends and family.
Speaker 2: I had no idea like I remember I was putting my luggage in the boot of my dad's car and this car just broke pulled over, and like these people got outside taking photos of me, and I was like, what the fuck. I still shake a little bit about it. It was like weird. It was like, why do they care? Yeah, it's strange.
Speaker 3: I remember I got home to my parents' house and the next day I stayed at their house and the next day my dad was like, let's go for a walk and I was like, no way. Like it honestly felt like the scariest thing ever. And I didn't leave the house for like three or four days after I got home because I was so afraid of someone recognizing me, Like it felt traumatic, which sounds ridiculous, and I understand now that that sounds totally bizarre, but I was like, I don't want anyone to recognize me.
Speaker 1: And I remember my.
Speaker 3: Close friends threw like a little get together party for it was literally five or six of us and it was so unlucky. But I left the house and as I was leaving the house, this big group of teenagers was walking past and they went ballistic, and I think that was the moment when I realized I was really feeling dissociated because it was like I was.
Speaker 1: Watching it all unfold.
Speaker 3: They were all screaming and running up to me, and I was like, oh my god, like my life is never going to be the same again, which it is now and it's fine, but in that moment, I was like, Wow, this is terrible, and I remember getting into my friend's car and balling my eyes out.
Speaker 2: How do you know that? Yeah, yeah, a pack of teenagers were the worst fact.
Speaker 3: Then yeah, And I mean, Matt and I have spoken to all of our cast members. Everyone went into therapy after the show. So I think that if you are wanting to go on to a reality TV show, number one, your mental health has to be at its optimum.
Speaker 1: If you're having any sort of.
Speaker 3: Mental health issues, I would say steer well clear of a reality TV show because you are going to be seriously tested coming out of it. I had an amazing edit, like my fights with Josh weren't even shown, and I struggled to the maximum. I know you struggled to the maximum, and I think if my edit wasn't that good, but but yeah, I mean I think, Matt, I just wanted to talk to you guys about this for anyone who's thinking about going on a reality TV show.
Speaker 2: With the new season of love Aland coming up as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just being mindful that it will really test you and it's not easy.
Speaker 1: It looks like a fun time.
Speaker 3: It looked like we were having a seven week holiday and everything with sunshine and rainbows and like social media.
Speaker 1: It was not, as it seems.
Speaker 2: No, get ready to be tested. Yeah, but some people are stronger and some people can go through it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, And I mean, look, there are some amazing things that have come from it. Obviously we have our podcast now, which I'm super grateful for, our friendship, you know, we have all of this great stuff that's come from it. But it was very testing mentally at the start and obviously like not something that we would wish upon.
Speaker 2: I feel like going through that, though, did mature me so much. I believe I matured so much when I came off the show because I was put in situations environments that I wasn't used to and I had to like handle myself in a certain way. So I feel like I developed in leaps and bounds and I would have if I didn't go on the show. Yeah, I'm grateful for that as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I mean yeah, I think any sort of testing situation does help me grow. Like we've spoken about with our testing relationships, the show was testing and we both come out the other end.
Speaker 1: But you know, some people are still struggling. I know that for a fact, so it's.
Speaker 3: A little warning, but also like once in a lifetime experience that we both have some amazing memories from.
Speaker 2: All Right, guys, so I hope we answered enough of your questions. If we didn't, make sure you head over to at Where's your Head at pod and ask away and hopefully we can get to some more of them.
Speaker 3: And on next week's episode we are talking about surviving rejection.
Speaker 1: And the I yeah, Matt's got a lot to learn about the ick.
Speaker 3: Okay, guys, until next time, we will see you later, so bye.