Speaker 1: Peter Quedlin live from year twenty four.
Speaker 2: Good evening, welcome to the program. Here's what's coming up tonight on Predline. Finally tonight, years of fighting a big sign of hope for Victorian farmers. It's massive Labour's intrusive V nine West transmission line is dead if Jess Wilson wins in November. The man who's spearheaded this fight, Farmer's Fight Back founder Ben Duckson joins me shortly. Pressure intensifies on Labour's MATCHO of his cuts to veteran health and that botched meeting this week. In question time today, the Prime Minister was forced to step in. We'll speak with the former fighter pilot who was in the room as veterans groups now demand his resignation. Plus more on the convicted child sex offender, a foreign national pleading to remain in Australia because he's homosexual, and claims of fake migration agents. Tony Burke. He's gone missing and still hasn't delivered that big reform speech he promised, and Labor today added again despite analysis, it clearly reveals pressure on housing and increasing rents. The Housing Minister wants you to believe that This is a government that doesn't lie. Only listen to the slip of tongue from her colleague.
Speaker 3: We should try to speak the truth in this chamber whenever, not the fictional world that's been created by those officers. Of course, this government closed the labor liar loophole, which meant that that many people doing the same job.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll do it again.
Speaker 4: Order the labor higher loophole, a labor higher loop.
Speaker 2: Hop Okay, I make it up. Can you for first calls for the resignation of veterans Minister mat Keo only intensified today now yesterday you recall the incredible report from the delegation of Veterans about their meeting with Keo after he was shamed into giving him giving them time.
Speaker 5: In his diary, Minister Keyo was forced to have a meeting with us at five point thirty. It was obvious he did not want to be there. He even let us know that he was missing an appointment with the Governor General, which he was very upset about. He walked into the room, refused to shake our hand, sat down with his arms crossed, and rolled his eyes when we started telling him about the effect that this cap already is having on veterans.
Speaker 2: There's two from the mother of a young naval officer who took his own life.
Speaker 6: Why would anybody want to join the ADF with him as the Minister for Defense Personnel and the Minister for veterans. He doesn't care about them. Let's call him out, Prime Minister. The minister's position is untenable and he needs to go, and you need to meet with us. You promised me in opposition that you would look after veterans. You are failing us.
Speaker 2: And then this exchange with our political editor Andrew Clanell.
Speaker 7: His officer have said to me he didn't want to trouble you guys to stand, okay, I'll see your reaction to that, and that he shook all your hands on the way out. What do you say to that, mate.
Speaker 8: We've met with various politicians and political and media people what we've been here, and including labor politicians who were great, They were gracious. Everyone has shook the hands of the veterans. Everyone has spoken to us with respect and we've shown respect. But it was a different scenario with Minister Keo. There is a disdain that I think when you speak to the veteran community and those serving. It's been obvious since he was appointed minister.
Speaker 7: What happened though in that meeting? Did he listen to your concerns about the Allied healthcare cap? Did he express any sympathy?
Speaker 8: No sympathy at all. He actually said to us at one stage that you know, if we see a veteran going through a process rehabilitation and say after twelve treatments there has been no improvement, why would we continue this?
Speaker 2: By mid morning today, the calls for Keo's resignation were only growing. By question time, he was clearly under pressure.
Speaker 9: He is the minister confident veterans would agree he is upholding the Covenant oath.
Speaker 10: Why on earth hasn't the minister picked up the phone to the CEO of the organization representing Australia's war widows.
Speaker 9: How can the Minister continue as Minister for the Veterans' Affairs and Defense Personnel if he cannot uphold defense values.
Speaker 10: Former Air Force fighter jet pilot doctor Tim Nelson spoke about the minister's behavior in a meeting and I quote he walked into the room, refused to shake our hand, sat down with his arms crossed and rolled his eyes. Yesterday, the Minister told the House and I quote, I don't agree with the characteration that you've just outlined. Is the minister calling this veteran a lyle.
Speaker 2: When the Opposition leader got to his feed, he laid out the minister's catalog of incompetence and failure. It was hard then to see how he could survive.
Speaker 11: Yesterday, the Minister for Veterans Affairs admitted he got it wrong and refusing to meet with veterans to discuss Labour's cruel cap on Allied health services. He also got it wrong on trying to put a use by date on medallic recognition. He got it wrong on refusing to support the Invictors Games, and he got it wrong on cutting funding for the family of fallen Victoria Cross hero Cameron Baird, vc MG. Why won't the Prime Minister sack this incompetent and disrespectful minister.
Speaker 2: Well, despite that, the Prime Minister backed him in saying this.
Speaker 12: I have every confidence in the minute.
Speaker 2: Weakness will be Albanzi's epitaph. What started out as a lamentable decision by Minister mat Keo to refuse to meet the delegation a former military personnel who traveled especially to Canberra to meet him to appeal his decision to cut their access to Allied health services has now snowballed into a test of leadership for Keo's boss. Now, if John Howard were in the lodge, the Veterans Minister or he would be gone already. But rather than penalize weak ministers, Albanesi runs a protection racket for them. That's why his front bench is now crowded with individuals whose personal conduct and portfolio performance should have meant early retirement. It's not just the snouts in the trough, like Arnaca Wells, who thinks she's entitled to act like a D grade celebrity rather than a servant of the people. It's the fact that people like Koh are not held to the same standards that are now expected in the real world and at once we got from our elected leaders. Look at the case of Darwin based Labor MP Luke Gosling, the Prime Minister's Special Envoy for Defense. He faces the serious criminal chargers now after fourteen years in prison for allegedly assaulting the NT's Special Administrator, but he remains in his job. Compare that with the Sydney Swans. The AFL players stood down this afternoon, even before a concluded police investigation, and in the absence to date of any chargers. In the past, ministers went under the bus over a color TV, a Paddington bearer, a teenage son racking up a big phone bill, or a helicopter ride. Not so today. Indeed, under alban Easy is anything left a sackable offense. The Prime Minister thinks he wins p for being loyal, but loyalty should only be extended where it's deserved. Otherwise leadership is eroded excusing bad behavior in competence. This respect is not loyalty, in fact, it's weakness. It says that the party leader lacks the internal capital to make tough but necessary decisions with our caucus or party room repercussions. Albanesi has a massive parliamentary majority, and hanging on to deadwood or worse, ministers like Keo who are actually causing collateral damage to the government, well that breeds disquiet. Talented backbenches would not be happy that Albanese's willingness to excuse Keo protects the status quo and hampers their advancement. Understand too. The signal this sends to the wider ministry that underperformance will be excused and indeed tolerated. Now, this is a shocking outcome for voters. Legislating legislation caps the number of ministers in Australia federally at thirty positions only, and that should create a competitive force that pushes MPs to excel in order to gain or keep a promotion. But this benefit disappears if poor performance goes unpunished, and if bad behavior is protected, it means too that new talent doesn't get advanced. Once again, like his own disrespect towards the Japanese Prime Minister. All of this goes to Albanese's character as a leader and the character of his government. Words are cheap when the Prime Minister stands at the dispatch box as he did yesterday to commemorate the sixtieth anniversary of the Battle of Long Tan on Vietnam Veterans Day, but then sits on his hands while his Veterans minister shows them sustained and repeated contempt that Keyo must resign and if he won't, they're the Prime Minister must sack him. Now, believe me, if there is one group a politician does not want to go to war with. That is our veterans. They have been trained to put their lives on the line and to kill. I know who's going to win here, and it will not be the minister who can barely look up from the dispatch box. Let's head to Camberan now for the headlines. Our political reporter on standby cam Reddin good evening.
Speaker 13: The so called widow's tax is no more. The Parliament has agreed to amend it out of Labour's reform package.
Speaker 9: Shame on this government.
Speaker 14: I commend Angus Taylor, the leader of the Opposition, for sustaining this campaign to bring about change, and.
Speaker 4: I think those who have contributed to this debate and I welcome the passage of this and I know that Treasure welcomes the passage of this bill.
Speaker 13: The National Australia Bank, Ray White and the Labor Government have all sorts of play down suggestions the rental market is about to spike.
Speaker 5: I think there has been a lot of irresponsible and unnecessary scare mongering when it comes to the impact of the government's tax reforms.
Speaker 13: The Major Bank and Real Estate Agency have clarified reports rents could rise by up to thirty percent due to the tax changes. They argue, that's how much they would need to rise to compensate for the loss of property tax concessions. But it's not a projection of where prices will go.
Speaker 15: Is the Minister damn proud of making millions of Australians pay higher rents?
Speaker 4: So I just want to remind the Parliament that when they came into the Parliament yesterday they accused the National Australia Bank of saying the same thing, and then the National Australia Bank clarified this was not a forecast and it is important to note that we do not forecast rental yields seriously.
Speaker 13: Cameron Reddin, News twenty four Canberra.
Speaker 2: We'll stay with that' spin there from the Minister today Warnings from Australia's largest rent role manager, Ray White, who says Labour's budget could lead to a thirty percent spike in the costs for tenants. Now extraordinarily front pages there you can see of the paper showcases the surge of rents in the Treasurer's own electorate of Lily up almost thirty percent in some homes. Joining me now on my panel they both of course, News twenty four hosts James Morrow and Jamie Rodgers will stay with that issue there in relation to rents, James, because labor did this in the past. They famously reversed negative gearing in the mid eighties. It caused a spike in rents. They then had to drop it and reverse policy. Course. Now, Jim Chalmers did his PhD in Paul Keating. Didn't he learn anything?
Speaker 16: Well, you know, it's interesting when you say that he did his doctorate in Keating. I think it's more than he is doctorate in Keating ology. He did not do his doctorate in economics, so I think he'd like people to think he did. But it was all about just sort of the politics of Paul Keating, not really about, you know, the economic reform that Paul Keating drove. That Paul Keating being a fairly different Paul Keating of course than the one we see these days. If he had learned anything from that government though in his time is treasure, it would be that this sort of interference in the market is going to have all sorts of unintended consequences. It's having it with rents, with the wealth effect, with people feeling less confident in the economy. But Peter, what do we overall expect. I mean, this is a government that things food come from the supermarket and that money grows on trees. So of course we're in this situation here, and it's going to cause all sorts of problems. Before they start unwinding.
Speaker 2: It, they could say, oh, they like that rents are not going out, But if you are in a property and you've just got to notice that the landlord's hiking the rents, if you're outside your least term, Jamie, the government's basically adding insult to injury. They're telling them, you know, the gas lighting you. And we can see from that analysis today of his own Seat of Lily, rates are hiking, and the hiking fast.
Speaker 15: And we also see it online, Peter. There's people that are constantly writing saying so much for treasuries modeling of rent only going up by two dollars a week, when we're seeing it going up by five dollars or ten dollars or thirty dollars in some cases. And to your point, it's the government that are just continuing to gaslight the voters. But also just take us all for mugs. We need you to be serious on what's going on in our economy. And when we're seeing reports that investor home loans as well as first buyer home loans are all on the decline, it shows that something isn't working right now, and when you want something that's more of it, you don't go out and tax it. And we're also still not addressing the underlying issue that is facing our housing crisis, and that still supply construction have got red tape and make it incredibly hard to go out and build. It's expensive, and we're seeing construction companies going under and of course record numbers of people coming into this country. So we've got a real supply crisis here, Peter, and it's not being addressed.
Speaker 2: Jamie. I'll stay with you if I can. I know you're involved in a footy club. Of course, it's another code than the AFL. But that news today that those Swans players have been suspended, it's for club related breaches. At this stage the police investigation into the claims from the weekend is still ongoing. But I want to call out this lecture from Labour's Tanya Plebisik. Now she's gone out there with a whole lot of high moral ground language about these allegations. But last week she was out there defending the Prime Minister and his appalling conduct. She wasn't just silent on his podcast conduct, she defended it. I mean, this is rank hypocrisy, It really is.
Speaker 15: Peter and Madeline King was also on with Kieran Gilbert during the day, also talking about the Sydney Swan situation. And it's unfortunately the reality that Anthony Albanezi has put his female MPs into this position because Tanya Plibasek should be out there standing up for women and defending and standing up against poor behavior. But unfortunately now when she's doing that, you should see the social media comments that are underneath that post that you just showed. Is scathing if people saying, hang on a second, you're calling out institutions that shape young boys and that they should set a standard, and yet you've allowed a standard within the leader of the Prime Minister to just go unnoticed or go and defend it. So the Prime Minister also needs to be setting a standard of what's acceptable behavior in this country. He is the leader and unfortunately now every time one of his female MPs tries to stand up for women. This is the hypocrisy that they're now going to face.
Speaker 2: Not all disrespect ends up in violence against women, but all violence against women starts with this reptipt, and that's the nexus I think the Prime Minister needs to remember. Let's go to that announcement for One Nation yesterday. They want a serious cut of the excise on tobacco James I went it down by seventy five percent. They want to tackle obviously the black market, but in particular organized crime. Reports today that the coalitionians also looking at some sort of cut eighty percent, and very strange bedfellows here incomes New South Wales Premier Chris Mins.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 17: Well, to be honest with you, I've been calling for the same thing for about a year, so it'd be pretty disingenuous to come on after one nation agreed with that policy and say they're wrong. So I'm not going to say that. I mean, the grim reality is that the excise has pushed up the legal cost of cigarettes in our economy, and at the same time the black market has exploded.
Speaker 2: Yet again. James, I mean all credit to mens here. He's decided to play the policy game, not the politics game. He has argued for it. He didn't try and walk away from that today. And I think this is the debate that the robust adult debate we have to have about tobacco pricing in this country.
Speaker 16: Well yeah, I mean, look, we are addicted to excise taxes, not just tobacco taxes, but alcohol taxes as well of other syn taxes in this country. Yes, of course, I mean the basic economics of it are such. Again, it goes back to labor Chris Men's accepted failure to understand, you know, the way the economy and taxes work. There's a thing called the Laffer curve where it shows that at a certain point, if you raise taxes so high, then the revenue drops off. We long ago hit that there's billions of dollars missing in the budget from tobacco excise tax because everybody who smokes, all the people I know who spoke, they're all buying illegal cigarettes. And the law enforcement, the bureaucracy that, you know, all of the stuff that Chris Mens's government has to deal with in terms of enforcing the laws here. He doesn't want to have to deal with this. So yeah, okay, fine, maybe a few more people might smoke, but this way of taxing smoking out of existence. You have to admit that it's been an absolute failure. So yeah, good on Chrispins. I'd like to see the coalition come along for the ride on it. But ultimately I'd like to see the federal government look at that and also, you know, look at other syntaxes which are again some of the highest in the world when it comes to buying a beer or a bal of spirits in this country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have an issue, and I've long had an issue with a discrepancy between the taxation on spirits and the taxation on beer. I'd like to say, and wine. I'd like to see a bit of equity there. Let's go to this story about battery fires. This has been coming. We've warned about this. There's an example in the press today about a huge battery fire at a home in Wa. It happened a day after this Bowen battery was installed. Jamie, this has got Labour's pink bat scheme written all over it.
Speaker 15: To me, the really concerning number within that article, Peter is sixty two percent of bat trees that were assessed were deemed to be substandard. And it ultimately did come down majority of those two incorrect labeling, So off the back of that, the government has now put in force that you must then provide upload photographic evidence to ensure that there is correct labeling, something that you would have thought was probably going to be in place before this battery program was rolled out. But when we look at the sheer volume of numbers, five hundred thousand batteries have been installed, the program is blown from two point three billion to more than eight billion, and it poses the question was the priority to get the program right and ensure that regulations were all ticked off appropriately or was the plan just to quick roll these out as quickly as you can and then sort out the regulation later on, And I fear it's the latter.
Speaker 2: Thank you to you both, James and Jamie for more. Now on the pressure facing the Veterans Minister, who stands accused of showing disinterest, even rolling his eyes, refusing to shake the hands of veterans all over a meeting as they can to Canberra to lobby against his cuts to their allied health services. One of the people in the room at the time former rapt fighter pilot doctor Tim Nelson. Now, of course a medical doctor was there and I'm pleased to say, he joins us now, Tim, thank you for your time. I'm sorry I'm talking to you under these circumstances, and I think many of my viewers had the same disgust, really that you have to go to Canberra with a begging bowl to get services that we all think veterans should be entitled to. The Minister admitted he got it wrong when he didn't give you that meeting from the outset, but he doesn't share your criticism about how he conducted himself in the meeting. There's been no apology in relation to the claim that you have that he was petulant, that he didn't shake hands, all of that. Do you stand by your comments per better?
Speaker 5: I call it as it is. I had three other veterans in that room with me with over eighty years expeace sperience in the defense at the highest possible levels you look at I'm not a liar. I call it as I see it. My job used to be flying fighter jets. It was a fighter combat instructor whose role was to pick up minute errors that were made, recall those errors, at times flying a nine G in the aircraft, and also then being able to come back recall those on the ground and being able to debrief those so to Actually, it's a bit of an insult to think that I've mischaracterized what actually happened in that room and what the other soldiers and Naval clearance divers in that room are also confirmed.
Speaker 2: Seeing it's blown up to a national news story in the last forty eight hours, what's been the response of other veterans through around the country.
Speaker 5: Complete disgrace. I mean it's coming from everywhere, all in the socials, all throughout the military network, the veterans network. No one can actually fathom that the minister who was in charge of defense personnel and veterans could be so petty and to be coming in and making accusations about decorated veterans, mischaracterizing what they saw.
Speaker 2: In a room from their leader.
Speaker 5: Everyone's in art of disbelief, and it really just consolidates that across the community. Everyone's saying he is not fit to be in office.
Speaker 2: You know, it did strike me when he was complaining that he was missing an event with the Governor General. It wasn't an appointment as he described it. It was a ceremonial drinks event. There were dozens and dozens of other MPs out there. I suspect he wasn't even missed. But I thought, my friends who are in the military, I think of people like you. I think of all the things you've missed, you know, the funerals, the birth of children, you know, just even kids' speech nights when you serve overseas. And he's upset that he misses a knees up at Yarralumla with the Governor General and wouldn't give you a meeting in the first instance. You listen to the litany of failure in that portfolio. He hasn't been there that long. What has he actually done that deserves credit from veterans?
Speaker 1: One hundred percent?
Speaker 5: Peter, I mean, when you sign up to these jobs, when you signed up to defending your country, these are just things you accept. You accept that you're going to miss on on those crucial events. You accept that your families are going to suffer. You accept that you're going to miss key events, families, friends, births of children, loved ones, funerals, and to hear from other members across the community the art of disbelief about well, firstly the fact this minister holds off us but Secondly, to hear that the Prime Minister has come out in defense saying he's got one hundred percent support is just astonishing.
Speaker 2: So if you could have a prime minister's ear, what would you say to the Prime Minister? Does he need to go? Doesn't Prime Minister need to sack him if he won't resign.
Speaker 5: One percent one hundred percent, So nobody has confidence in his abilities. There's systemic changes within the Department of Veteran Affairs, progressively things that are deteriorating veterans. My patients, serving members are all telling me that things are getting progressively worse under his leadership. It needs systemic changes, and these systemic changes are beyond his capabilities. I believe if I had that opportunity to talk to the Prime Minister, my first recommendation to fix this issue that we're sold that we're situated with would be to scrap the cabin and to ensure that the Minister is moved upon and get somebody else in that position who is capable of leading and instigating all these changes. We need to improve the system within the Department of Defense, Polgice, Department of Veteran Affairs.
Speaker 2: I'm going to get you to expand on why the cap is such a problem in a moment. But just going back to the Prime Minister. Part of the damage control from his office immediately after you spoke the other day was for his staff, the Prime minister staff to get you to come around to speak to you, to try and hose this thing down. I'm told you were offered a meeting with the Prime Minister. Has that been scheduled.
Speaker 5: Not at this stage. No, there was an offer today to go down and meet with the Prime Minister. Unfortunately, we funded ourselves to get down there as veterans, we have commitments, we work, we serve veterans, so we had to leave last night to come home, so we were unavailable to get back down there. As I understand it, the office of the Prime Minister has extended an invitation to catch up with him, and we would be very keen to. We really want to get down there. I've got nothing but the utmost respect for the Office of the Prime Minister and for those that were in that meeting.
Speaker 1: With us earlier this week.
Speaker 5: They were very open, they showed a lot of courtesy, they showed a lot of respect as we did to them, and we were very interested as were they in the issues that we have identified, and they really seem keen to fix the system, to fix the problem, and they appear very open to be willing to consider whether this cap needs to be scrapped, which obviously is what we're advocating for. So in short, I believe the Prime Minister will Rechamp.
Speaker 2: Sorry to jump in there, I've got a bit of a delay here, but I want people to understand you are now at the pointing and you are a doctor dealing with a lot of people, including veterans. Why is this cap that's been imposed such a problem.
Speaker 5: The big problem with it is because it hasn't been thought out. The big problem with it is that there's no clinical basis for what the Department is actually saying is behind it. It is very clear that this was just a budget saving measure. It was even advised to us by the Ministate during that meeting that it wasn't his decision, rather it was the government's decision, not a Department of Veteran Affairs decision, a government decision. The justification that was provided was that in order to increase the payments for ouried health providers, they needed to be a reduction in the usage of those So by just logical thought, it makes sense that it will limit care to veterans. Even the justification that's been provided is unjustified. There is no plan in place to be able to expedite anybody that would go over that cap. And history tells us any time you need a prior approval process for the Department of Veteran Affairs, at the very best you're waiting two months. I'm aware of one practitioner who has been waiting almost two and a half years for a prior approval process, and the department just goes silent on you. As we saw from the minister when we try and getting there to see.
Speaker 2: Him, the fish rots from the top, Tim, the fish rots from their head. So I support your call for his resignation. Thank you for joining me, Thank you for your service, and let's hope you get that many with the Prime Minister. And let's hope that minister sent to the high jump bar. Thanks Tim. Right after the break a fight of an entirely different kind. There's a potential win here for farmers. Finally, the liberals in Victoria have seen since not going to review it, they're going to scrap it. The v and I renewable scheme if elected in November. More on that. Next coming up calls growing f Islamic hate preachers to appear before the Bondai Royal Commission. And just a quick mention, I think at the top, did I say Ranken or did I say Lily Jim Chalmers seat in Brisbane. If I got it wrong. If I did say Lily, it is Rankin. But first to an issue I've covered extensively here on Kredlin, the fight back from Victorian farmers in regional communities against the role out of massive transmission lines and renewable projects across some of Australia's best farming country. We're talking about, of course, the controversial V and I West transmission line that were set to rip across land from New South Wales to Victoria, and it still will if Labour's not booted out of Parliament in the November state election. Now this is an issue I cared deeply about. It was set to impact the little mally town of Woodship Proof, where I was born and bred and where you will recall we went up and visited with locals last year, talking to farmers and towns who faced economic devastation if there's billion dollar pro was forced upon.
Speaker 18: Them, so it's renewable, Angie, at the expense of their food securityve Look what one hundred and fifty years of agriculture, how tough that's been. Mother Nature she's pretty powerful. We've maaged to work with her, fight with her. But we're still here after that. So absolutely we can take on Mother Nature and make a living. We can take on netzero Anthony Albanezi, doesn't matter if we're going to win.
Speaker 4: We've been at these guys for nearly two years and nothing we've done has changed their their stance, their plans.
Speaker 13: Land values depreciated, Our most valuable lands not even attractive anymore.
Speaker 14: We're probably going to be struggling to even sell it.
Speaker 2: After huge protests on the ground and in Melbourne. It looks like those wonderful young farmers. Isn't it great to see young farmers have a reason for some hope. Confirmation today that the Victorian Liberals and Nationals, if elected, will now abandon this much hated project. This is a big day for Victorian farmers and country community communities, but also for this man who joins me now the founder a farmer's fight back Manu local Ben Duck said, Ben, I'll tell you what I'm jumping for joy for you and everyone else I spoke to in those series of programs from up my old Way, up your Way. This must be good news for you and your mates.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, thanks very much, Peter.
Speaker 19: We're usually talking to you after we've had a flogging from the government or Vicgrid or V and I West.
Speaker 1: So it's it's a fantastic day. It's taken a lot of work.
Speaker 19: It's been a lot of people behind the scenes, and we started the farmers fight back for the very reason that.
Speaker 1: We weren't being heard.
Speaker 19: We weren't being heard federally, we weren't being heard in the state. But over the last two two or three months the federal coalition has come out. Matt Canavan was down here three months ago promising to get rid of V and I West, and then today we hear the VIC Libs and Nationals coming out against it as well. So it's a good feeling. We know only fifty percent the job's done. We've got to get rid of WRL as well and make sure they scrapped that zero. But even to yourself, last time I was on here, you promised that you do everything to make sure this happen, and it has come through. So I started getting messages about one twenty six this morning, so I haven't slept since then, and it's been a big day. But thank you to you, thank you to our farmers fight back people, but thank you to all the people in our group that have spent four years. We're four years in fighting this.
Speaker 2: I'm nothing if not relentless.
Speaker 12: Mate.
Speaker 2: I said to you I would fight and fight and fight. And when the Libs came out and said that they would, well, sorry, before that, all credit and and Webster from the Malley. At a national level, I think she really led the charge. She got the National Coalition, the Lives of the Nats to oppose it, and I think that paved the way. But when the Libs in Victoria said that they would review this thing, you heard me here saying there's no way we're going to copy review. It must be scrapped. It's only except if it is scrapped. And that's where they came out today. And all credit here to Jess Wilson because she also told me that anyone who's been fined under those draconian laws that just into Alan ran through the Parliament in the middle of the night. Any farmer who's fine, and you know many of them, they won't have to face court and they won't have to pay those fines if there's a change of government in November, so that's even better news as well.
Speaker 19: It's fantastic And these are fantastic people.
Speaker 1: You'd know some of them as well.
Speaker 19: And you know Colin Mary Fenton in their eighties, you know, never done a thing wrong in their life, always just turned up done their job, being great community people. Rob greg and Robin Roberts in their seventies as well, same sort of thing. They would have done nothing wrong in their life. And then the Bourbwins who you've had on here as well, who called the police when vic Grid Liaison officers were actually trespassing on their property and actually got booked, got charged themselves by the Victorian police. So they've overridden are really immoral and dirty tricks and sustained attack on farmers and this attack needs to stop this and we thank Jess Wilson and Danny O'Brien and the Nationals because farmers are here to support the cities in food, fiber.
Speaker 1: And agricultural products. We love what we're doing.
Speaker 19: We just need to be allowed to get on with the job, and that's what we want to do. This was going to be horrendous, not only for food security and affordability, but this was horrendous if they got it through on energy costs as well. The cost of this is just blowing out. It's not needed. We've always said that there is alternatives, that we're an energy rich country. We need to make sure that we have an energy policy for the next one hundred two hundred years that makes our country thrive. So yeah, I can't thank yourself enough. And all our farmers fight back supporters one hundred and thirty three thousand. We've actually sent eleven thousand emails to Carol within his first week, Ben and Ben Carroll's just Daniel Andrews just in her Allen three point zero so and within Jacqueline Sime's first two days, she was issuing fines to these magnificent farming families. I had him in my woolshed, about five of them here last week, and they're innocent, they love what they're doing and they just want to get on with farming. But all of them said, I've never been to court I don't know what I'm in for, so we've still got that fight to have.
Speaker 1: It's great that the Libs and Nashes.
Speaker 19: Have come on, but you know they've got fines hanging over their head that we're going to have to fight.
Speaker 1: But make it known that we have one.
Speaker 19: Hundred percents of support behind them and we will fight this as hard as we can.
Speaker 2: I just want to mention too, you know, I looked at the IEMO paperwork online and from what I can discern, and it wasn't updated after the twenty sixth of June, so I'm going on that date. But it would appear that funds in relation to the V and I West project have not yet been released by the Victorian government. Now. It would be unconscionable given that there is an election only a couple of months away now, and that there is a very different policy from the opposition, and every chance, if you look at the polls, that that opposition will be government and scrap this thing. For the labor government in power now to throw billions of dollars to sign contracts that will have to be scrapped and penalty is paid by taxpayers. The fight is good today that You've had a win, mate, but it's not over until November, is it. I think you might have dropped down on me. Ben, Yeah, we've lost you. Okay, I'll leave it there. There is I think a QR cod that will punch up on the screen for you. Now. Please stay in touch with Ben as I say, the fight's not over until November. And there's another line. I think he's focused on a little bit further across in Victoria. But thank you to everyone in that fight. After the break, hate preachers will get into that, the politicians who should be at the Royal Commission, and more an a visa outrage, the convicted Charles Sex offender who wants to stay in Australia. Welcome back. Let's return now to the pressure mounting on the Prime Minister now to sack veterans Minister Matt Keoh, particularly after those excoriating remarks of course from that veteran at the top of the show joined me now shot a defense Minister James Patterson. James differing events between the diggers in the room, the veterans in the room, the former military personnel and how they say they were treated by the minister and the Minister apologizing for not putting the date in his diary, but certainly not apologizing for his conduct. I just spoke to doctor Tim Nelson, a former rath fighter pilot now medical doctor. He was there in the room. He said he does not lie. He says the Minister must resign and if not, the Prime Minister must sack him. That he's lost complete confidence, the complete confidence of the Australian veteran community. I'll get your response to that, well, Peter.
Speaker 14: I met doctor Nelson and some of his colleagues when they came here to Canberra. I thought it was a priority to meet them, unlike the Minister, and I was astonished to hear how badly he treated them, first not taking the meeting, second taking so under pressure, and then complaining in the meeting that because of them he was missing an event with the Governor General. For your viewers, that's the address in reply. Ceremonial function. It's a strictly optional and frankly social event. It's not like the Minister had a personal meeting with the Governor General. And many members of Parliament don't go for much less mundane reasons than meeting stakeholders in their own portfolio. So this is just extraordinary behavior from the Veterans Affairs Minister. But as we learned in the last parliament and Theobenezi has a very high tolerance for failure. You will remember how hard it was to get him just to move aside Claire O'Neill and Andrew Giles, despite their shocking failures in their portfolios, despite the harm being done to the community. So I don't think Anthony Evans is even contemplating sacking Matt Keo as Veterans Affairs Minister. And so really it falls to Matt to do the honorable thing and design, particularly if you cannot get the government to ax the cap, this five thousand dollars cap on Allied health, which is the whole reason why these veterans have had to come to canber to beg for the care that they deserve, given the service they've give in our country.
Speaker 2: Well, don't forget Luke Gosling. I mean he has been charged. He faces criminal charges, serious criminal charges. He has not been stood aside. I looked to the case the Sydney Swans. Those men have been stood aside. There are no charges to date. There's just been the breaches of internal football club rules, but they are now not playing. Why is Luke Gosling still on the front bench.
Speaker 14: I have no idea other than this surprime minister who's unwilling to admit failure or fault. And I think he must think it would be some kind of admission of failure of fault that he appointed Luke Gosling now that he faces these allegations of criminal assault. This surprime minister who is just unwilling to enforce even the most basic standards that he himself demanded when he was in no position. In fact, I remember coalition ministers who were not facing criminal charges, who weren't even facing police allegations, who he demanded resign. I mean, it's just extraordinary that he won't apply those standards to himself. But we shouldn't be surprised from Anthony AVENEZI I think it is a revealing character insight, though.
Speaker 2: I see it as weakness. James. I want to get your reaction though, to a story that has really taken hole with my viewers. It was on the front page of The Australian yesterday. It pertained to a convicted child sex offender, a foreign national, a fifty year old man from Sierra Leone, who may get to stay in Australia after his psychologists argued before the Federal Court that he would pose less of a risk of offending of raping children if he was granted permanent Protection visa status, if he was allowed to stay here. Now, I'd say there'd be zero risk of him raping a child if we simply deported him. Where's the Minister Tony Burke on this.
Speaker 14: Well, exactly right. He would be no risk to any Australian if he's no longer in Australia. That's a self evident point. It's the purpose of our immigration system and the integrity of that system is absolutely critical. If we allow sex offenders child sex offenders to stay because somehow it will be of psychological benefit to them and they may be less likely to commit crimes than we are making a mockery of our whole migration system. Tony Burke should remember what happened to Clara O'Neil Andrew Giles. The Prime Minister's hand was finally forced when their failures on community safety came so demonstrably clear. He shouldn't want the same thing to happen to him, and he should stay and make sure this person is deported and deported without delay.
Speaker 2: How can you deliver and bring down recommendations in relation to anti Semitism if you do not speak to the people that were on the ground and in charge of our intelligence services of our government at the time the massacre occurred. We haven't had the Prime Minister front the Royal Commission. We haven't had the Premier. I think it's incumbent on all the heads of our agencies to give evidence if required. But I also think the hate preachers and the Muslim leaders in Australia should also front the commission. Why is that not happening?
Speaker 14: I want the Royal Commission to succeed Peter, but right now I think it is a grave risk of failing and being judged very harshly by history. Now, to be clear, the primarily responsibility here falls of the government because they gave the Royal Commissioner such a short time frame. But if the Royal Commissioner asked for an extension of time, I think the government would have to grant it. It would be inconceivable that the government would refuse a request from a Royal Commissioner for more time, and more time would allow the Royal Commissioner to haul in the Prime Minister, to haul in the Home Affairs Minister, to haul in the Foreign Minister, to haul in all the relevant ministers and grill them and cross examine them on what they did and critically what they didn't do in the lead up to those horrific events on Bondai Beach. Particularly unexamined, as far as I know, are all the ridiculous and unnecessary changes they made in the Home Affairs portfolio, taking azo in, taking the AFP out, putting them back in again, reporting different ministers, or the conflict between the ministers of those differing responsibilities. Those are questions that must be examined rule so that public knows, and so the Royal Commission can make recommendations so it never happens again.
Speaker 2: Senator, thank you. There courses that get back to the Parliament quick breakout for break the wonderful kel Riches back, of course on Wednesday. It's not the Credlin Show, it's the kel Richards Show. I'm just the warm up act, he joins me. Now from Sinnin is beautiful make believe, but we believe it's real. Library. I bet it's like that at home, kell, Hey, we've got some good ones. We've got some good ones today. One of the viewers, Susi's written in and says, I want to know the term cloud nine? Where does it come from?
Speaker 12: From America? And in the late nineteen forties, the the United States Wheather Bureau started in its reports classifying clouds according to their level, and they numbered the levels from one up to nine. So the highest level was level nine. Chem alone nimbers at about thirty to forty thousand feet and they look like huge white mountains in the sky, kind of dreamscape. And once we're talking about level nine clouds. From the early nineteen fifties, Americans started talking about being on cloud nine. So blame it all on the Weather Bureau in America.
Speaker 2: It's relatively new. It's relatively new. Yes, yeah, what about this one? I do often use this one myself. The best thing since sliced bread. John wants to know about this expression.
Speaker 12: Well, the very first sliced bread in the world was sold in June of nineteen twenty two by the Chickcoa Bakery in Missouri because a machine had just been invented to slice bread. By nineteen thirty three, eleven years later, eighty percent of the bread in America was sliced bread. And this it was seen as being a huge breakthrough, a great convenience, a labor saving technological breakthrough, which was really significant. So it was seen as a historic landmark. Hence, from the early nineteen thirties, Americans started saying best things sence, sliced bread.
Speaker 2: Now this one, and I'm with Lenn absolutely on this. You'll tell me what the grammatical term for this is. But when people are putting an adjective ahead of a word which by itself doesn't warrant an adjective, it's happening more and more. I listened to people on television, particularly newsreaders and others, who do this to ad nausean. The word we're talking about here is unique, right, Unique by itself is standalone word. But people are adding in very unique, and she says that's wrong, what do you say?
Speaker 12: Well, in fact, what our viewer Linn says, and what you said is very intelligent and highly literate. Our problem is we don't live in a very intelligent, highly literate society. The result is that people have wanted from that. The word is a counting word. It does mean one comes from the Latin unicus, which means one, and you can't be very one or almost one. So it was always said to be a word that should never be qualified. All the grammar books said that, and that's still the grammatical rule. But I was starting to Professor Pampeeds about this, and she said she thinks the meaning of the word has changed. People are not using it correctly. It's now become very widely used to mean special or very very very well, so you could start saying very special, almost special, or something along those lines. She thinks it's a battle we've lost. So I'm sorry, but intelligence and literacy have lost this battle, and we might just have to shrug our shoulders and wear it.
Speaker 2: I heard you say qualification. That was the grammatical term I was hoping to learn. You've reminded me the nuns in grade six would be happy now that I've caught up, caught up with my grammar again. But you're right over qualification or a qualification not requiet. Thank you, kel. We'll see you next week. We're going to do a country mile next week. I want to know that one myself, as I know a lot of you do too. Thank you for your company, See you tomorrow night. Here's Andrew