Speaker 1: This podcast is being recorded and produced on gadiicol Land.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this country and elders past present.
Speaker 1: We extend our respect to any First nations Aboriginal and Torres Strait island of people joining.
Speaker 2: Us today, always was, always will be Aboriginal Land. How do we start close? Friends, it's been so long? Do we do anything?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do a little intro at the start.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you found in your gives friend? Fuck it, it's close, friends, Let's move on. Let me tell you I was saying in the main episode that I wanted to do my Matt's round of the Wig. Now, Hannah produce, Hannah, please if I may, do we have a better fucking song? We don't.
Speaker 1: By the way, no one has messaged me about that little song. Has anyone messaged you?
Speaker 2: No? What about like the math.
Speaker 1: Of the work, Like, no one has said anything about it?
Speaker 2: Is it still on every episode that I do a rounds on the broadcast channel?
Speaker 1: What is there on? Think of it? Let's just play it now for fun, go.
Speaker 2: MAT's rid of the Week. Oh my god, Like it's actually it's the most off brand thing I think I've ever seen in it makes.
Speaker 1: It so funny. We need to get a little snippet of it so you can put in the broadcast. Now.
Speaker 2: I wanted to talk about this in my rant of the week in the main episode, but we've saved it for Close Friends. I can get into it. It's about a trend that I saw while we were on break and I couldn't wait to come here and talk about it. But of course with my rants, it's always a little different to I think where you think it's going to go. And I have something to say, which I've actually not been brave enough to say on the internet. I have made a video two with this opinion, and then I've thought, you know what, do I just hold off a little bit because maybe I don't know how people are going to respond to this. And as we've said, what have we said.
Speaker 1: Brittany, this is the close Friends.
Speaker 2: Oh I was gonna say that this is a podcast. I feel like I can't get canceled for anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I mean. Like this is the little quiet corner of the Internet.
Speaker 2: Yes, safe, safe, little pocket, safe space, safe space. You know, we listen and we don't judge. So we need to talk about the TikTok tan line trend in Australia. And you know what, I have an opinion on this that might shock you. This might get me canceled. Okay, I don't care. Three words, doll, I don't care.
Speaker 1: Okay, more context.
Speaker 2: And what I mean by that is if you are dumb enough to go out and sit in the sun in UV thirteen with no sunscreen on so that you can get your little tan lines on your chest. So many people on my full you page out baking themselves in the sum sun, all summer, all.
Speaker 1: In the name of getting a tan, all in.
Speaker 2: The name of getting a tan. And I think my opinion on this might shock you. And I still am a little nervous to talk about this because the thing is is that I have seen Daily Telegraph came out and they were like, you know, influences should be saying more content creators need to say more promote sun safety. I will say this and hear me out. Listen to the full episode before you cancel me. But like, I actually don't care. I couldn't give a fuck about these people. Not my job to tell them about sun safety, is it?
Speaker 1: Because like that everyone already clearly knows.
Speaker 2: They fucking should. And I understand that there are probably some very niche people or you know, certain groups of people who maybe not like maybe you.
Speaker 1: Maybe they have no idea.
Speaker 2: Maybe you have no idea because you don't speak English, or you weren't brought up with the messaging your whole life here in Australia. Maybe you are a tourist, so you don't know. Maybe I don't know. There's probably some instances where people don't know. But that's not who I'm seeing on my for you page.
Speaker 1: I'm saying I'm seeing twenty something you're on that definitely know better and like cancer and melanoma, yes, but yet they just actively choose. They're like, I think genuinely they would say, I don't care. I want a tan.
Speaker 2: If I was like, hey, like you know you can get a melanoma, they'd go, yeah, no bad, But like want I want to look cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just don't cares. That is ignorance.
Speaker 2: They don't care, So I don't care. That's what I'm trying to say here. So I just love that like sometimes like these things happen in Australia around the world and everyone goes, well, the influences should be saying more about it. My job, love. They already fucking know, they already know.
Speaker 1: There are influences like the ones that are getting called out.
Speaker 2: Well true, actually, these.
Speaker 1: Are influencers that are doing this and getting the defined tan lines all in the name of what all in the name of just having a tan. You know that you can just do a fake tan. Yeah, hello, you can just do a fake tan. And also, I'm gonna come out and say it. Tan lines are fucking ugly right when I see these TikTok garlies and they've got a little single on and then I can see their whole to neck white and the little triangles that ruins every outfit you wear. Honestly, I'm gonna come out and say it. It doesn't look good. The only people that it looks good to is other idiots that go out and get those stupid tan lines.
Speaker 2: And I liken it to people who smoke a pack of day and then get lung cancer. You know what I mean? No, stick stick with me with you if you have never smoked a cigarette in your life or not many cigarettes, because I think we all probably have a fucking perfect one point. But like you know, you're not a full time smoker or whatever. You had a cigarette here or there and you end up with lung cancer. I'm devastated for you. That is that is horrible. I'm so sorry that that has happened to you. Cancer is a fucking horrible thing. I get it. I'm not saying I'm I'm not saying I hope all these people will get cancer, because that's not what I'm saying. All I'm saying is, you know, lung cancer. If you smoke two packs a day, like one of my family members, he smoked all of the time. He hands up with lung cancer. We all go, well, you took the wrist, Dalin. We're not like, do you know what I mean? I don't know whether the same goes.
Speaker 1: For like if you're laying in the sun and you know that you can get melanoma, yes, Like yeah, it's like we're gonna feel bad if someone gets melanoma, Like we don't wish that upon anyone. Yes, but like what do you expect if you're baking yourself in the sun on purpose?
Speaker 2: And that's what I mean by I don't care. Go out there, it's your funeral. Rest in peace, Stalin. Go out there and break yourself in the sun in your UV twenty five with your tanning oil on and all the rest.
Speaker 1: Of that can lines. Look shit, I'm sorry, I'm just gonna say it. It ruins your whole outfit. You can have a cutest outfit on. If you got those white streaks on your chest, outfit ruined. Sorry, just do an even fake ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I get what you're saying, and I'm with you, Matt. I think the one thing and like why we see people saying like influencers need to speak about it more is like for the younger, younger generation because like obviously when we were young, skin cells in trauma, like that is ingrained into our head. Like you remember all those ads and it was like skin burning in the sun and.
Speaker 2: It was like I still sometimes see them though.
Speaker 1: For ages. But the thing is these little twelve year olds that are following the twenty year old TikTokers that are promoting tan lines, Like it's those kids that don't know and like they're following these influences and they have influence that we didn't when we were young. Like when we were young, we couldn't look up to fucking TikTokers because it just didn't exist, like we had Britney Spears on Rage Hits on a Saturday on our TV, so like, there's so much more heavily influenced now than when we were young, and yet it's on their parents and or caregivers to educate them. But they're looking up to people that are just promoting this shit. So I really think the one that we need to be pointing fingers out as the ones with the fucking tan lines. No offense, but grow the fuck up. Also, you're gonna look disgusting when you're older. The week now it is rand of the week, Make me and my own song. Yeah no, i'na like the number. Like, Okay, we're living in a world where everything is anti aging. We all want to look as young as possible. The number one way to make yourself look gold is to bake in the fucking sun. That is the number one cause of aging.
Speaker 2: The second is probably like you're vaping and you're smoking. You see all these people do in the ten step skincare routine and all the rest of them, then sucking on a blueberry skin at the club on.
Speaker 1: A weekend skincare routine with retinol and everything doesn't matter if you're vaping and laying in the sun, that is out the window. Literally throw out the fucking retinal and your salacilic acid. If you're laying in the sun and vaping, there is no point in doing a skincare routine.
Speaker 2: Just saying literally, oh my god, round of applause. Do so in saying all of this, speaking about it, I guess I have fed into the Daily Telegraph article that I saw about people having to you know, like calling up on influences.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're are here on the poet promoting at the end of the day. Yes, slip slap, slap, wear sunscreen, don't lay the sun.
Speaker 2: It's more now it's slip slop, slap, slay, slay. No, there's something else. Go Google girl. That's my first. Go Google girl. Of twenty twenty five. There's there's five of them. Now. I think it's slip slop, slap, spray or something like that.
Speaker 1: Seek shade and slide on sunglasses. Say that, quick, Matt, Go slip stop slap, seek shade and slide on sunglasses.
Speaker 2: Slip stop, slap, seek inside. Wait what yeah, slip stop, flap, sleep inside inside.
Speaker 1: Oh, I thought it was the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Slip stop, slap seat, slide, slide, slip slap slap, seek and slide, Yes, seek shade, slip on your sunglasses, slap and bong here so it's two slips. Slip on a hat, slap on clothing, Slip on clothing, slop on sbs, slap a hat, seek shade, slide on sunglasses. There you go and smock up as well. Get when a Lauren Curtis is smock up, smock smock? What the smock? She should have called it?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 2: What the smock? Sun? Safe driving things? Which the gloves? Yeah, I mean fun very niche.
Speaker 1: Though makes sense though, Like again, like look at like truck driver's hands, Like there you can see the sun damage because our hands are just so exposed to the sun. Like I every now and then we'll put sunscreen on my hands when I remember, but I always forget. So I'm all for like protecting our hands or like even your right arm, because you always put it, like on the window.
Speaker 2: Aren't windows like UV protected them? No they're not.
Speaker 1: No, whoa wow, even if it's tinted, it's not.
Speaker 2: I've learnt so much today that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Actually, Yeah, even like older people if you look at their arms their right arms always more freckly and like got more sun damage just because we naturally put our arm up on the window without even realizing. Ah, so I'm all for like a driving room.
Speaker 2: It's funny though, older generations, I reckon like my because my granddad always did the driving and my grandma didn't really drive much, so her left arms probably because she was a passenger.
Speaker 1: Her left arm a passenger princess.
Speaker 2: I have to look at Grandma. I'm seeing her this week. It's actually today when this close friend's episode goes out to be granddad's anniversary from passing way. Sorry to bring the mood down everyone, but if you're listening to this on Friday, I'll probably be at the cemetery. So was it melanim and nobody did have that? And so he had like six different cancers? Was he wasn't smoking though he was a good boy. Never got the lung cancer, but he got the prostrate and the melanim and I can't remember what else. Fuck cancer, but yeah, fuck cancer for sure. Anyway, that's enough of that. Don't sit out in the sun, you fucking idiots. And God bless him be gay.
Speaker 1: We'll see you next Tuesday.