Speaker 1: The experts with Jason Lauren, your vessel specialists who specialize in very special things.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Josh Murray and I'm an expert.
Speaker 1: Let's hear from the expert.
Speaker 3: Josh Murray was nine years of age when he started out with a few hens in his backyard. Fifteen went to Woolworth with his business, Josh's Rainbow Eggs. He's a Victorian from the Masidon Rangers. He joins us now on NOB one hundred. Josh, good morning, Good morning, Hey guys, how are you Josh?
Speaker 4: We're great? Thank you. How old are you now? Because I feel like I've grown up with you, like I've watched you on your egg cartons, from being a young man to a fully grown adult.
Speaker 1: Now we see him on the side of trucks, on big trucks.
Speaker 4: You're everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm incredibly I'm twenty four now.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, so old?
Speaker 1: So old? Josh?
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, no, I actually I try not too. But it is funny to think about how long ago I started this, and it's always been oh, you're so young, you're so young, You're so young. That continues, but it gets a little quieter every year.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, right, I mean, twenty four is still very young to be Victoria's expert. Yes, how did you get into this business?
Speaker 2: I wanted as much Lego as I could get my hands on when I was younger, so very good year for Lego in two thousand and eight. In two thousand and nine, my parents would only buy me Lego two times a year. I said, this is out landish. Have you seen the collection that they're selling. I need all of them? And they're like, okay, we'll figure it out. And I'm like, oh damn. My mother's like, hey, got forty chickens, you take care of them. You can sell the eggs. And I thought this seems manageable. And so that's really how we started.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, you're a little kid entrepreneur though, because if my parents said just work it out, I'd be like, okay, I worked it out on and I'm not getting the Lego.
Speaker 1: You just give right it.
Speaker 2: I don't think you've seen the two thousand and nine Lego star was I think you bring. I think you bring powerful emotions out of you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a Lego fan. I get you. Josh is eggs big business right now?
Speaker 2: As far as if there's much money in it. It's commodities, right, there's not much money and commodities, but I really enjoy it. It's really great and we get to give back.
Speaker 1: Right, how many eggs we were pumping out a day? There not?
Speaker 2: No, So it really depends on the week, depends how the chickens are going. But typically I'm getting about two hundred and fifty thousand eggs out of that.
Speaker 1: A day, a day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how many eggs?
Speaker 5: How many?
Speaker 1: How many eggs can a chicken lay?
Speaker 2: A chicken lays and egg every twenty six hours and that's the kind of peak.
Speaker 4: Yeah, came first the chicken or the egg?
Speaker 1: Jesus.
Speaker 2: Okay, so think about it. No, no, no, no, no, no, listen. Yeah, I think that at some point there was an egg laid that had the first ever like DNA accurate chicken in it. So it's got to be the.
Speaker 4: Egg, right yeah, yeah, of course, Well yeah, dinosaur lated probably, I mean chickens dinosaurs, they've been around forever somewhat.
Speaker 2: They're tangentially connected for sure.
Speaker 4: Right, I confess I hate chicken.
Speaker 1: That's scared. What about those little ones that are in the barbecue.
Speaker 4: Packet like chicken creamy chickens freak me out. I want her to collect eggs from a chicken coopment is the worst experience.
Speaker 1: They freaked me out.
Speaker 4: They just they chickens freak people out. And I want her to do it today show cross and they put me. I wore gum boots in this big chicken thing like to throw the seed around, and all the chickens came for me like fried.
Speaker 2: They'll do that.
Speaker 4: They'll do that, they say, skiky.
Speaker 2: You got to think about them as like they're not quite dog like, but they're like cat like.
Speaker 4: I make cats cats.
Speaker 2: They'll come by, they'll hang out, they make their little cloking noisies. You just got to appreciate the.
Speaker 5: Experience for My wife and I were having a fight the other day, Am I do I have to eat?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: So how long is it taking you? How long is it taking you to eat the eggs? Right? Because if you're getting them, if you're getting them done in less than ten days, who cares, right? But after ten days it's starting to the actual And you'll notice this. When you crack the egg onto the pan, right, it'll spread out. And that's what happens when the egg is a little older. So if you want to prevent that. If you want to eat your eggs, you know, two three, four weeks after you buy them, I'd absolutely refrigerate them. Josh, how do you like your eggs scrambled? For sure?
Speaker 1: Josh Clink's been waiting to get that question out for the.
Speaker 3: Last I just as an egg guy, I want to know how how the big fella.
Speaker 2: Likes his eggs. So it's actually not just traditional scrambled day. So what my dad would do is he would make so it's scrambled eggs, and then what you do is it's how they do it in Turkey is you have yoga with a spice mix and then also I believe it's chili oil on the top scrambled eggs and they'll do that with like a fakata and that's the best way to have eggs in my opinion. That's a hell I'm willing to down.
Speaker 4: Hey, what's the most amount of yolks you've ever seen in an egg?
Speaker 2: Three?
Speaker 5: Three?
Speaker 1: Now just questions. You can still like, yeah, on the double yo because that's safe.
Speaker 2: I can tell you we get double yolk is mostly from our younger chicken. So what happens is right when a chicken starts laying eggs. Their body is still think about it like muscle memory for an athlete. Their body is still trying to figure out, like how to lay eggs correctly. Inside the Filippian tube, a second egg is accidentally released and joins the next day's egg, and then they are formed together. And that's just basically like a misprint. So the egg is the same.
Speaker 4: Just thinking about chickens filopians, you know.
Speaker 2: Just because I was thinking about that before I said the word eggs.
Speaker 4: All there's nothing wrong with very important, but I like just thinking eggs or eggs, and they're not.
Speaker 1: But think of the scramble.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: I thought the eggs were laid out of their own norse.
Speaker 4: How if there are no what do you mean?
Speaker 1: They don't come out of the norse. That's where I thought the eggs came out.
Speaker 2: They don't have a noose.
Speaker 4: Where do they put from their mouths?
Speaker 2: Is one?
Speaker 3: It's it's it's it's a multi purpose hole.
Speaker 1: It's a.
Speaker 2: It's called the hatch.
Speaker 1: Open. So I don't know what. You don't know what's going to come out, and.
Speaker 4: The philopian tubes merge and it all comes out of one spot.
Speaker 2: Imagine the body doesn't have an issue keeping those separate.
Speaker 4: I don't like chickens.
Speaker 2: You're talking to the wrong guy.
Speaker 4: I like eggs. I like eggs. Do you eat chicken? Do you like roast chicken? Do you like chicken parmers?
Speaker 1: You don't have to answer juxtaposition now, isn't it.
Speaker 2: We'll take a breather so I don't give anyone whiplash. Yes, I love chicken. Nugget chicken, maybe a beautiful food.
Speaker 1: Even look out the farm scene running around. Imagine him in crumbs. No, sorry, with their multi purpose a.
Speaker 2: Bit, Okay, laying hands aren't really multi purpose right there. They're pretty much.
Speaker 1: Just for laying out of the one hole.
Speaker 4: Hey, I'm shook by the one hole.
Speaker 1: It's a hatch. Sorry, the hat hatch, the hatch, not the.
Speaker 4: Hey, when will the egg shortage be over? Because we are starving?
Speaker 2: Oh dude, I know we didn't get Avian influenza, but our business isn't running better because of the egg shortage. With the chickens lay the same amount of eggs. Yeah, I'm looking at I've been talking to some people in the industry. I think it'll be August is what's going around August in the industry right now, it could be a little sooner. It looks like things should start getting a little bit more normalized around that that, you know, July August period.
Speaker 1: Josh, Just one more on the scramble. Where do you sit on Fetter in the scramble?
Speaker 2: You know what I have to be honest with you, a moment of vulnerability. I've never tried it.
Speaker 1: You must try. You go cook. We'll stay on the air and wait for your absolutely better scramble.
Speaker 2: Well, next time you guys have me on, I'll let you know how it was.
Speaker 1: Stay with us Melbourne to Fetter or not Fetter, that is the question.
Speaker 4: I've learned things I never thought I needed to know today.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Jos Josh, mate, congratulations on your success. I love seeing like young entrepreneurs, you know, following their dreamer and you're absolutely killing it, mate, And you.
Speaker 4: Love seeing your trucks on the freeway with your big face on them.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys. It's wonderful to talk to you. I had a really good time. Lauren wake up feeling good on number one hundred.
Speaker 4: Lauren on Socials