Speaker 1: On Scornlands Ostrodia.
Speaker 2: This is the Wader Panalty Show. Good evening and welcome to the Reader Panety Show. Coming up tonight the.
Speaker 3: Leadership battles that will decide the future of the Coalision.
Speaker 2: Adam Crichton will be here to cover today's top.
Speaker 3: Headlines, including a proposed congestion tax for Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump secures the release.
Speaker 3: Of an American hostage from her mass as rumors run wild of a deepening rift between the US President and Benjamin Netting.
Speaker 2: Yahoo Josh Hammer will have the latest from the US and.
Speaker 3: Later in the hour, Kinsey Schofield on the overprivileged Miss Grants arrested at Columba Columbia University and Left is Losing.
Speaker 2: It features the.
Speaker 3: Former leader of the Free World. He ain't well of the.
Speaker 4: Projects, the benefits? How do you lead the world? Harv An ambusted instruction? How do you leave that? Of the best Healthcarenral?
Speaker 3: But first, the Liberal Party will vote for a new leader this week. The choice is likely to be between two contenders, Shadow Treacher Angus Taylor.
Speaker 2: And acting Opposition leader Susan Lee.
Speaker 3: Now the pair are locked in a tight contest, with both of them promising to end the so called civil war between the party's conservative and moderate factions. Ahead of tomorrow's party room ballad Angus Taylor has said he'll reward talent over factional allegiances, bring more women into the party's leadership, and make the Liberal Party campaign fitter, flatter, faster and more focused. Meanwhile, Susan Lee has said that if the party elects her as leader, it would send a very strong signal that we understand that things must be done differently. She also told colleagues that the Liberal Party must respect modern Australia, reflect modern Australia and represent modern Australia.
Speaker 2: Sounds like Malcolm Turnbull in a skirt.
Speaker 3: Joining me now for more on this is chief economist and senior Fellow at the Institute of Public Affairs, Adam Crichton. Adam, how do you see this contest?
Speaker 2: Look?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm not going to pick a personal favorite, but I do notice that in both their statements they've said nothing about policy yet, so I don't know who's going to have the best set of policy. They've just they've just made the usual slogans and a dine phrases. I mean, who do I think they will probably go with? I mean, I imagine Susan Lee because she's a woman, and it's sad that that's a factor. I think personally, I think people you know, should be choosing leaders on who's the best leader, not the sex of the person. But certainly, you know, the conventional political wisdom would be, you know, go with a woman because the Labor Party will find that harder to attack. But you know, I don't think the party generally needs a lot of unity at the moment. It'd be fine with me if there was a lot of debate, a lot of squabbles going on, both in public and private, so the party can work out what they actually stand for.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's been.
Speaker 5: A massive loss, there's no shying away from that. And my view is to get back to their core Liberal party, liberal party principles of low taxation, free speech, individual rights, enterprise and so forth. They seem to have lost that, and so whichever leader is for that, that's.
Speaker 2: The one that I would before.
Speaker 3: Well, the identity crisis is significant within the Liberal Party. Precisely who they are, what they stand for. That seems to be a confusing issue, and I think that was behind this really lackluster, weak, unprincipled election campaign where they were labor lite and they've had major donors tell them that and if you're going to run another labor lighte campaign, don't expect to see any donations from that group. On Susan Lee, who has added an extra s to her given name because of numerology.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic, isn't it. Wells just got a.
Speaker 3: Long track record of being on the wrong side of debates from the voice to the Middle East issue, to cultural war issues. This is just last year. Now some things you can say, well, she's changed her mind. That was five years ago, that was ten years ago.
Speaker 2: This was last year.
Speaker 3: This is her promoting the deeply flawed activist gender wage report.
Speaker 6: I'm pleased to see the scrutiny that is being applied today with the release of this data to organizations in Australia. My message to corporate Australia is it's not good enough to have a morning tea and cupcakes and pink icing.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: We had conservative women like myself Janet Albrigson, We had senators like alex Antique Mamcanavan picking holes in this ridiculous report. It had holes you could drive a truck through. Deeply flawed, and yet we've got the deputy leader going there and advocating it like an activist.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is my problem with her, that.
Speaker 3: She's led by the bureaucrats and she needs to be convinced that a position is an actual liberal position.
Speaker 2: The Voice is a perfect example.
Speaker 3: She was pro voice and then she became an outspoken critic when the party adopted that position.
Speaker 2: It's not exactly authentic.
Speaker 7: No, look, certainly that's true.
Speaker 5: And you know, to be fair, I know I've been away for four years out of the country, but Susan Lee has been around for a while, and I must say I don't really know what she does stand for. Whereas Angus Taylor, I could name a few things. I mean, he didn't run a great campaign. Yes, look, I think I think Susan's a bit of a weather vein in terms of, you know, whatever's to work politically.
Speaker 2: At the moment.
Speaker 5: And yes, you're right that report, you know, the so called gender gape, So the gender pay gap completely vanishes statistically once you measure everything properly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was what was troubling about that, and it was only last year.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: We spoke to Senator Matt Canavan on Outsiders yesterday and he talked about the tyranny of group think.
Speaker 2: It's what we saw.
Speaker 3: At the last election, arguably, but where it was very difficult to ascertain what the difference between the two parties was. But we keep hearing these calls for unity, unity, disunity is death. You've argued, perhaps the obsession with unity can be counterproductive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, it certainly is. I mean, as I said earlier, I don't think they really need unity at the moment. They need to work out what they stand for, and not just what they stand for, but also to see, you know who on the backbench might even make a better leader than the two that we've already mentioned. There could be some talented people there, and if there's unity, they won't be able to speak out. They'll just have to do whatever the leader does. But we have an obsession with unity I think in the political system, I mean, the parties are actually can be a problem. I mean, factionalism is not a great thing. I mean, if you go back to George Washington or to Tokeville, you know they argued against parties because they're extremely confrontational and combative and they often don't work in the interest of the country, but they work in the interests of themselves and so sometimes I think it'd be better to have a Parliament of one hundred and fifty independents and not have parties, so they'd be actual debate in the Parliament rather the debate's already being sort of.
Speaker 3: Well, we were supposed to have the upper house, the Senate, be the states and have instead of having party allegiances, allegiancens to each individual state, but of course that hasn't happened.
Speaker 2: It's just gone down party line.
Speaker 3: So that's where the unrepresentative swill line about the senator began.
Speaker 2: And I think Paul Keating was spot on.
Speaker 3: I mean, how can you have someone in Tasmania whose Upper House vote is worth what twenty times of that on someone in New South Wales. Now let's have a look at this post election assessment from Federal Vice President of the Liberal Party. If you own a Scott, this might give some indication as to why the party has completely lots its direction under the current leadership, why they ran such a woeful labor lighte campaign.
Speaker 2: She's rejected comments made by.
Speaker 3: Former Liberal Prime Minister Tony Abbott and former Nationals Deputy Prime Minister John Anderson who said that not all cultures are created equal. I would have thought that was a fairly self evident statement, but she said there is good and bad in all cultures. It's ignorant to dismiss cultures or to rank cultures.
Speaker 2: It should be an aspiration for all.
Speaker 3: People to do better, to do better, to strive to be better, and to celebrate diversity and uniqueness. Are God, where's my bucket?
Speaker 2: Adam? The Liberal Party lost.
Speaker 3: In a landslide listening to that sort of advice, and it looks like those smaller voices are being emboldened as opposed to being ashamed of their contribution to that loss.
Speaker 5: Well, certainly, the empirical record is very clear some cultures are superior to others. Western culture, with you know, small government and individual rights, has produced extraordinary economic growth over the century. So there's really no doubt about that. So I disagree with her there. I think our culture is much better, just inherently. But look, you know where she might have a point is if you want to win elections in a country where thirty one percent of people have born overseas, and that would include many Muslims, many Chinese people, you know, maybe trumpeting how great your own culture is is not so helpful.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I don't think.
Speaker 3: It was trumpeting, And I would argue, if you've moved to Australia, particularly from a Muslim majority country, then there's a reason why you've moved here, and perhaps if those cultures were giving you precisely what you needed, whether it's in lifestyle or opportunity or freedom, then perhaps you would have stayed.
Speaker 5: Look a very good you work, very good point. That's a very good point. I just think that if a liberal party ever wants to win, you know, in ten twenty years those southwestern seats in Sydney, ever.
Speaker 3: Why can't they win by appealing to the fact that these people are one socially conservative when the labor has veered to the far left on those cultural issues and the Liberals are too terrified to debate them on it. And also, these people are, often particularly new migrants of this country, are hugely aspirational. They come here seeking a better future for their children. They want to work, they want to build wealth, they want to be independent, they don't want to be reliant on welfare. And that's again something else you can appeal to. But this election, we had the Liberal Party, opposing tax cuts personal income tax cuts.
Speaker 5: It's pretty I mean, it was a very center left campaign. I would say all this stuff about it was too trump is I mean, the point to a single policy that shows that it was very center left. So if there's a problem, then it's that, not not that it was too rightly.
Speaker 3: But the post mortem analysis from all the usual hacks is that they need to veer further left.
Speaker 2: Every time they veer.
Speaker 3: Left, they lose and lose badly. We've seen it with previous campaigns, and we've seen it in Victoria, wa elsewhere, and the learnings from it seemed to be completely missing. Now let's talk about Goldstein, your seat and mine. The former til MP there, Zoey Daniel. She prematurely declared victory. Remember that that was kind of hilarious. Look at her celebrating it.
Speaker 2: Was great, yay. Well, she seems in denial over the loss.
Speaker 3: Adam tim Wilson has declared victory.
Speaker 2: Everyone accepts that the media is reported on it.
Speaker 3: But Zoe Daniel, in her latest post on X has again refused to admit defeat, stating that there are still up to ten thousand votes to count, and she also said the AEC has not yet declared the seat, calling on her supporters to respect the process and voters until.
Speaker 2: A definitive position is clear.
Speaker 3: I didn't see her respecting the process when she was dancing around celebrating the Massif someone in her in a circle needs to have a word with her, maybever embarrassing. Maybe you, being a neighbor, I could just wreak across and go, Zoey, let's have a word.
Speaker 5: She must be pretty shattered. But look, she's going to lose a big salary soon. I'm not sure actually when the official date that it gets cut off. Maybe it's when it's declared, I don't know.
Speaker 8: But look, she'll be okay.
Speaker 5: She's going to get a job in the SOUL or the wind power industry, is the head of comms, or back at the ABBC sorry, or maybe even back at the ABC. So I think she'll be fine financially, but she's probably personally a bit shattered and embarrassed.
Speaker 3: That was It was now to an outrageous proposal by the Productivity Commission, the ironically named Productivity Commission. They're talking about imposing a road congestion tax on those visiting Melbourne CBD.
Speaker 9: By the twenty fifties, more than nine million people will call Melbourne home.
Speaker 8: Where As more and more people are trying to come into our cities, the challenges our roads get super busy.
Speaker 9: The Productivity Commission putting forward a proposal to bring in a congestion levy, a charge for motorists to try to limit the number of cars and trucks and encourage people to walk or ride instead.
Speaker 5: New York has just introduced such charge. What we've seen is that travel times have fallen on all the routes that are going into the city.
Speaker 2: Adam.
Speaker 3: The fact that this mob called themselves the Productivity Commission is absurd, as is the notion that this tax is working a treat in New York. Yeah, of course it's reducing traffic because poor people, ordinary working people can't afford to drive into the city anymore. So if you want to exclude poor people from the CBD from driving into the CBD, then go right ahead.
Speaker 5: Coletely agree with those arguments.
Speaker 2: It's very regressive.
Speaker 5: And also they're getting ahead of themselves. The traffic in Melbourne, it's bad, but it's not like Manhattan, I mean, so they just want to introduce a tax clearly they just like it.
Speaker 2: They're just anti car. Their anti car.
Speaker 3: They want to see bike lanes which nobody is using. They want to see more public transfer. You know what, you can't take home six bags of shopping on your bike, particularly if you live in Narry Warren.
Speaker 5: But the head of the Productify, the head of the PC, the Productivity Commission, she was a big champion of Lockdown's actually, of course, so I'm not surprised that she also supports this sort of tax. I mean, we need less tax in this country, not more. I mean, if they want to boost productivity, why are they talking about stamp duties in Victoria.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just bought a place.
Speaker 5: Have to pay fifty grand just for someone to go that's it.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 8: I mean, that's a.
Speaker 3: Shoe, and that prevents you from easily selling that property and buying something else.
Speaker 2: Because you'll have to pay it each and every time.
Speaker 5: A massive problem.
Speaker 2: But just silence for the productivity, the productivity.
Speaker 3: We need to have some truth in what people call themselves and their bodies, and calling the Productivity Commission that name is an insult to productivity and to the English language.
Speaker 2: Adam Crichton, thank you so much for your time. Thanks joining me.
Speaker 3: Now is a steem geologist and author professor in primer in Let's start with the ABC. Former ABC board member Joe Gersh has called on the taxpayer funder broadcaster to conduct a comprehensive review of its election coverage. Here is that the ABC will become a mouthpiece of government under Labour's supermajority, become I think we got there some time ago.
Speaker 2: Twenty eight thousand of those home Remarchael.
Speaker 10: What would your mother say hearing you interrupt her?
Speaker 2: Just I've been interrupted the entire time. Just please, it's okay. I'm unflappable, Sarah.
Speaker 10: I'm going to ask you one more time, and everyone is listening to me. Ask this question, how many social and affordable houses will you build?
Speaker 2: Well, we will fund social and for right.
Speaker 8: That's it.
Speaker 2: You're not getting an answer, You'll get an answer out of me. And who can forget this on election night?
Speaker 10: Let's just talk about this sensibly. Just into We saw you wearing a make Australia a Great Again hat at a time when Donald Trump poison to the world. We saw you give a speech in which you used a Donald Trump value statement to make Australia, Great together.
Speaker 2: Ian.
Speaker 3: When the ABC is critical of a labor government, it's always from the left, never from the right, never from the conservative point of view. And I would argue their conduct during the Voice referendum. Their coverage of that issue was far more reprehensible than what we saw during the election campaign. It was so relentlessly pro Voice and often hysterically so.
Speaker 2: It was pro Yes in just about every bit of coverage.
Speaker 8: Well, that interview was vulgar, it was partisan, and the ABC has been like that for a long while and the last time I appeared on the ABC it was an ambush. Of course, that is their standard tactic. Now. When Sarah talks about what would your mother think about this? I look at her and think, well, only a mother could love that. You can't behave like that on taxpayer funded television. That is just not the way you behave. And I think to set behavioral standards like that shows you that the ABC has got right to the bottom.
Speaker 2: It has.
Speaker 3: But even if they do agree to this comprehensive review, we know who's going to be doing the review, and we know what the recommendations are going to be.
Speaker 2: The entire exercise will be pointless because that will.
Speaker 3: Come up with no bias, no learnings, and just more of the same.
Speaker 8: Well, I can suggest some wonderful names for the review. Some of the people that are on this network, like Krager for exactly, plast think he would do quite a good thing.
Speaker 2: He would love that role. He would do it for free. He would do it for free.
Speaker 8: Hard Graves would be another way. So there are some people around who would take a very different view to the soft glove approach that a review would be. In the trick with the review, it's to appoint the people to do the review. You've got to drive that. Once you've appointed the right people, you know the way it's going to go. And that's the way the ABC review is going to be. And I was once a listener to the ABC, especially ABC FM Classic.
Speaker 1: And it's just terrible.
Speaker 2: They pretle on piece of music.
Speaker 8: It wasn't it wasn't. So I think we've got to scrap the ABC except for ABC Regional Radio and put it out the subscription like Sky.
Speaker 3: Well, that's never going to happen. And the conservative so called Conservative Coalition governments who had plenty of opportunity to reign in the ABC to fund aspects of it to hold them account and will refuse to do so. And it would be I think her foolish to expect the Labor Party to be doing anything.
Speaker 8: WNG really what you say, and that's what's happened.
Speaker 3: Now, let's talk about these shock revelations about the Antarctic ice shelf. A study published in Science China Earth Sciences has found that between twenty twenty one and twenty twenty three, the Antarctic ice sheet, far from disappearing, has been experiencing record growth almost one hundred and eight gigatons or one hundred and eight billion metric tons of ice per year.
Speaker 2: How do we explain this?
Speaker 3: Because I thought these this was going to be the end of the world, these rising sea levels and everyone was going to drown, and now we've.
Speaker 8: Got record gross Well, we have cycles, and these cycles are where the ice sheds grow the ice sheets contract. Now in the Antarctica, you've got another parameter which journalists never meant. They never chase it up in questions, they never put it down in any articles about Antarctica, and that is there are one hundred and fifty geothermal centers and volcano underneath the ice sheet and if you're going to heat the ice from below, what's it going to do? It will melt a very slight temperature raised from the top of the ice sheet. If you raise the temperature from minus twenty to minus eighteen, the ice won't melt. But if underneath the temperature seven to fifty degrees celsius, it will melt.
Speaker 2: So when you.
Speaker 8: Ignore the volcanic factor, then you end up shock, horror, surprise. We have psychical climates on planet Earth. We've known that for over one hundred years, and nothing should shock you if you're aware of the literature.
Speaker 3: Oh well, well, you're speaking there like some sort of a geologist, some sort of leading john.
Speaker 8: What would climate? We've only been studying it for two hundred years and looking at four and a half billion years of what would What would.
Speaker 2: You know, Professor the implymer? Thanks for your time tonight. Thank you still to come.
Speaker 3: Matt Lefty's losing it plus as Donald Trump. So here's the release of an American hostage from her mask. Rumors run rife of a rift between the US President and Benjamin ettan Yahoo Josh Hammer.
Speaker 2: As the details.
Speaker 3: You're watching the Reader Panny Show, and it's time for lefties losing it. I'll be bringing you a Biden extravaganza shortly. But let's start with one of our favorites, stillan mulvainy who has made a creer out of mocking what he calls girlhood and this fight causing more than a billion dollars worth of damage and almost destroying bud Light. With an endorsement, he is now promoting another iconic brand for such a.
Speaker 1: I've never seen you in that dress?
Speaker 7: Sure, funny, this is the one that I always pull out on my relationships.
Speaker 2: Started to get a little serious.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, I'm sure they'll have the ladies flocking to buy those overpriced Versace garments.
Speaker 2: Well done, Donatella.
Speaker 3: Let's check in on a protest that took place in recent days where masked anti Israeli activists stormed Columbia University, taking over the library. They may have learned something in there, well, they weren't interested in sticking around the library too much knowledge there. It wasn't long before they were trying to escape with shouts of let us out, let them out, but security wanted to see id before allowing the protesters to leave. Remember the days when you needed to have an IQ above room temperature to attend university. Now, the most dangerously dumb seem to be recent graduates.
Speaker 2: I mean, where else will you hear something this silly? Do you have depict a country in the Middle East to live in? What country would you choose? I would say are On, but I know that it's not the best for women.
Speaker 1: Probably are On here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they want to live in an Islamist hellhole where women are second class citizens. Let's see what other profound insights these two have to provide.
Speaker 1: Are you guys ask for a free pastime?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, okay? So what is your favorite free pawsign? They chant from the river to the sea, palestign will be free? Do you guys know, like what river and what sea that chant? It refers to? Like the Mediterranean?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm gonna go Arabian for you?
Speaker 8: And what river like?
Speaker 2: I don't know river and ams, but I know it's the one that's near there.
Speaker 3: Let's hear from President Trump now diagnosing another Democrat, Chuck Schumer, this time with TDS trumped arrangement syndrome.
Speaker 2: What's here as jd.
Speaker 3: Vance cracks up, is trying not to crack up, but he's losing that battle.
Speaker 2: Trump really is the funniest president if you don't.
Speaker 8: And the Democrats are fighting it only because they want to fight. They have Trump derangement syndrome. You know, with somebody else. They wouldn't fight if you had a normal person, if you had some stiff sitting behind you, they'd be fine. But they have Trump arrangement syndrome. There. You know, Senator Schumer has become a Palestinian. Welcome. I don't know when they're going to give him the ceremony, whatever the ceremony may be. It's a terrible what's happened to the Democrats.
Speaker 3: Now to the ladies of the view, who were joined by former President Joe Biden and his wife, doctor Jill, and good lord, it was a sickly sycophantic love festing his nephew.
Speaker 11: Today here beyond happy to have you here today for a lot of different reasons.
Speaker 2: But my question is how are you looked like he was falling asleep there.
Speaker 3: Biden did struggle through the program with help from his handler Amina, his wife, doctor Jill, and he was not above engaging in more divisive rhetoric, painting America as inherently racist and sexist.
Speaker 2: Apparently that's the only reason Kamala lost.
Speaker 4: Well, I was surprised. I wasn't surprised because they went the route of the sexistuit of the whole room. I mean, this is a woman, she's this, she's a real I've never seen quite as successful and a consistent campaign, under cutting the notion that a woman couldn't lead the country and a woman of mixed race.
Speaker 2: Yes, he really said that.
Speaker 3: And he also seems to think that he would have besioned Donald Trump if he hadn't drummed out.
Speaker 2: I mean, there is delusional and then there's this knowing what you know?
Speaker 11: Now, do you think you would have beat him?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's still has seven million fewer votes. Yes, a lot of people didn't show up number one, number one, number two, the uh, they're very close in those those toss up states. It was. It wasn't a slam dunk. And so look, you know, every time I've been on the show, which you've been fortund I've been fortunate beyond more than once. Thanks for having me. Is that we talk. You guys don't focus on as much. And I think it's good pulling numbers, but thankful this way he's had the worst hundred days any presidents ever had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fact, that's a fact. Is a joy.
Speaker 3: The man who managed this solve the ruinous border crisis within weeks of being in office has had the worst hundred days on record. Even Old Joe, in his feeble mental state, doesn't really believe that, though he did try to blame his failings on the border on Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Listen to this lunacy you got on.
Speaker 4: The telephone, any call. Republicans do not support it. It's legal, it'll work, it'll make Biden look good. Don't do it. They backed off, They backed off.
Speaker 2: Impeached for something like that, Well, impeached.
Speaker 3: That's a new and imaginative reason to impeach Trump for things Biden failed to do. As Donald Trump showed, you didn't need the flawed border bill to fix the border. You just needed a president knew what he was doing. Unlike this, dude, Listen to this incomprehensible gibberish.
Speaker 4: All the projects, the projects, the benefits. How do you lead the world having best instruction? How do you leave the world without him the best health carerent role? How do you lead the world without having the best education?
Speaker 2: So, how do you lead the world and do not have that done. What do you say to that?
Speaker 3: Joining me now is Newsweek's senior editor at Large and Article three Projects Senior Council Josh Hammer.
Speaker 2: Josh, if the goal of that exercise was.
Speaker 3: To convince the American people that Joe Biden was and is cognitively sound, well it was a massive failure.
Speaker 7: Yeah, reader, at what point do we just start, you know, charging doctor Jill Biden, so called doctor job Biden. I mean, at what point does she just start getting charged with with elder ab so? I mean, that is clearly what is going on here. I mean I look at clips like this and I genuinely ask, and actually my wife and I were talking about this, like, actually, like what are they trying to do? I genuinely do not know what they're trying to do. Now, there are a lot of rumors floating around here. It's not entirely clear which rumors are true which are not true. Apparently the Biden family is actually hurting financially, and I have a guess as to why. It's because the big guy is not in power anymore and Hunter Biden is not able to basically use that Frank Flynn to bring money into the Coffers of the Biden crime Family bank accounts, Right, So there are all sorts of rumors that Biden is going to try and take a massive book contract nout, that he's going to write a single page of this book because he's looking for ways to make money. So I maybe maybe that's what's going on here. Honestly, I think that's probably going on here. Rita is actually even sadder than that. I think we're looking at as a man who has been in the public sphere here in the United States for more than half a century. Joe Biden first became a US cenator from Delaware in the early nineteen seventies. He simply does not know anything else other than going out before cameras, other than trying to be a public figure. The problem is that he's literally just not capable of doing it mentally, intellectually, physically.
Speaker 1: At this point there.
Speaker 7: And it's really, really, really profoundly sad. But I guess if you're Biden and you're trying to get a book contract and you're willing to basically embarrass yourself before Global TV lines to get a few more dollars into the Biden crime family coffers, I guess they're.
Speaker 3: Looking at this and thinking, well, we managed to fool the world for four years whilst he was the most powerful man in the world. We had the bulk of the media in on this ruse that he was in charge. He was cognitively sound, he was up to the job. And I think with these books coming out now about his time in office, and some of those books being penned by leftist authors, he's trying to counter that, but it's not working. Every time he's in front of the camera, you are reminded of why he should have never been in that role. Now, let's talk about US President Donald Trump announcing on the way he can that India and Pakistan have agreed to a ceasefire. He wrote, after a long night of talks mediated by United States, please to announce that Indian and Pakistan have agreed.
Speaker 2: To a full and immediate cease fire.
Speaker 3: Congratulations to both countries on using common sense and great intelligence.
Speaker 2: Thank you for your attention to this matter. Now, how tenuous is this piece? This ceasefire? Josh?
Speaker 3: And what can you tell me about President Trump's offer to work with these nuclear armed nations to come up with a solution over Kashmir?
Speaker 7: Well, this is an extraordinarily complicated and extraordinarily emotionally religiously fraught conflict bearer in the Cashi or Pakistan. India have been at lagger heads Rita, as you know, for longer than half a century. It has been a very, very, very long time. And both these countries our nuclear powers. Anytime you have two nuclear powers that are directly firing each other and not necessarily firing via proxy, as Russia and the United States have been doing Ukraine for the past three years, but literally just directly, no proxy, just unfettered, but you know, shots fired across the border that has potential to be absolute disastrous. So if there is an actual ceasefire and it's it's a very fluid connect situation. With the last I checked, it looks like things were a lot calmer than they were at least earlier in this past week, then that is news to be celebrated all throughout the world. I think that America, fundamentally, and Donald Trump is the right person to do this, has to reassess its relationship with these two particular countries. So back during the Cold War, India was part of the broader Soviet sphere of influence there, they were cozy with communists China, with a part tiight South Africa, and so war there. So the United States made a decision to ally with India's rival Pakistan. That decision might have been correct at the time, it has not been particularly sound, shall we say, in retrospects. Let's not forget that Osama bin Laden was actually found in Pakistan. Pakistan is increasingly a radical Islamist nation in there. America's ally in this conflict is no longer Pakistan. It really actually is India. America and the Western general, Australia, western style countries really ought to stand shoulder to shoulder with India.
Speaker 1: What my money's worked this conflict there.
Speaker 7: I think that Donald Trump's the right guy to make inroads there with Moody and the leadership in New Delhi, and I look for those inroads to hopefully continue.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump has announced that an American Israeli hostage held by HAMA since October seven, twenty twenty three, is coming home. Trump wrote, I'm happy to announce that Eden Alexander, an American citizen who has been held hostage since October twenty twenty three, is coming.
Speaker 2: Home to his family.
Speaker 3: I'm grateful to all those involved in making this monumental news happened. This was a step taken in good faith towards the United States and the efforts of the mediators Katar in Egypt to put an end to this very brutal war and return all living hostages and remains to their loved ones.
Speaker 2: Josh. This development comes out as.
Speaker 3: Reports of a growing rift between Donald Trump and Benjamin Netting Yahoo emerge. What can you tell me about what this means for the war between Hamas and Israel? Is there a truth that there is a rift between these two leaders.
Speaker 7: So there's an enormous amount of rumors, and it is very very difficult to know what exactly is certain and what is not certain. Now, apparently the asking price that Hamas essentially again this is just a rumor, This is not verified, but allegedly the asking price that Hamas asked President Trump and Or to free the last American hostage there was to put pressure on Netta Yahu to establish a definitive time frame to wind down the military operations in Gaza.
Speaker 1: The obvious problem is that Prime.
Speaker 7: Mister Naton Yahu and the Israelities are not ready to put a definitive time frame on the operations in Gaza because Hamas is not close to being eradicated yet. Now they are deeply, deeply hurting compared to where they were on October sixth, twenty twenty three. That should not be surprised to anyone there. But yes, I think it's fair to say that they're likely are increasingly signs of a rift. Maybe there is not a rift at this exact moment, but there are a lot of ten situations. The latest rumors over the past twenty four to thirty six hours are that Qatar, of all countries, might be gifting a Boeing seven forty seven to be an Air Force one backup plane or something along those lines. They're Qatar, shall we say, is a problematic country. They are somewhat infamous when it comes to double speak. They like to play the nice role of mediator when it comes to these negotiations, but they also are major funders of Hamas and the Muslim brotherhood there. The Trump Organization recently into big deal to develop a new golf course there in Doha, so it's a little difficult to know exactly what is going on here. At the end of the day, though, the American people and especially MAGA voters. Republicans really do stand overwhelmingly with Primauisternenti Yahu in Israel. So if for no other reason than that reason, Rita, I expect that US Isra relations will continue to be quite close.
Speaker 3: Now, a lot has happened in the recent days, is Josh. We've got a lot to cover, including the US striking a trade deal with the UK. This was pretty big news, but it was a long before the usual suspects in the media were out to downplay the significance of the deal. Let's have a listen to MSNBC.
Speaker 12: This is relatively low hanging fruit. If you can't get a trade deal with the longest standing and loyalist United States ally anywhere in the world over generations, you're going to be in trouble when you're dealing with some of the more obstruperous countries around the world, the ones that are more willing to resist your entreaties.
Speaker 3: Josh, if it's so easy, then why didn't previous administrations do it?
Speaker 2: Why didn't Joe Biden do it?
Speaker 3: Why did the Obama administration do it? What can you tell me about this deal?
Speaker 7: Okay, so this deal I believe really should shatter a lot of illusions as to a President Trump, MAGA more generally believe about trade and what they do not believe about trade. I think a lot of people look at President Trump, they look at him as the so called tariff guy, and they say, this guy doesn't believe in trade.
Speaker 1: He doesn't want to trade with anyone.
Speaker 7: He wants every single product, every good, every leg of every supply chain to be made here in the United States.
Speaker 1: It's not true.
Speaker 7: What nationalists, realists, what MAGA believes is to oppose these multilateral trade boondoggles, these World Trade Organizations style trade deals that loop in twenty thirty countries there and you essentially at some point lose control over the granular details as to what is being traded there.
Speaker 1: What MAGNA supports are.
Speaker 7: Prudential, specific, granular bilateral trade deals. Country A and Country B agreed to lower trade barriers in exchange for blah blah blah blah blah. That's the sort of thing that the US and the UK worked out. So the fact that this happened and happened fairly quickly, actually barely over a month after so called Liberation Day at the Rosegarn the White House there, that actually ought to be an incredibly auspicious and positive sign when it comes to other countries that.
Speaker 1: Are looking to negotiate.
Speaker 7: Though, by the way, you know, in response to that clip that we just heard from from that you know, you know, rather upset leftist shall we say there, I would like to just say one thing. You know, the UK and the US do have a special relationship, but the US also got it it's independence from the UK over two hundred years ago. And in fact, if you go back and look at the American founding, Alexander Hamilton published his report on Manufacturer and he presented it to Congress as the nation's first Treasury Secretary in seventeen ninety one, specifically making the argument that the United States had to be trade independent of Britain because otherwise it would not be successful nations. So it's actually a very long history of America trying to get independent from Britain. There, So actually it's probably a bit of a bigger deal from a kind of a longer form historical view than this kind of you know, hurt left wing commentator would care to point out.
Speaker 3: Shall we say, And I'm would say there's plenty of other countries, including my own Australia, that would think we are as bigger allies and to the US as the UK is. So for the UK to get this still first, I think we'll be wanting to be next in line to strike a deal. Are there other deals that are imminent? Are you hearing other countries are close to an agreement?
Speaker 7: Well, Scott be send the tradery secretary. I mean, he was in Switzerland this past weekend, so you know, he was meeting with the Chinese. Chinese counterparts in Switzerland there. Look, I mean Donald Trump put on social media, on truth social the White House actually put out a formal official statement saying that a trade deal had been reached with China. Now, there's not a whole lot in the way of details there, but presumably there's something because I mean this came out not necessarily just from social media, but the White House literally put it on white House dot gov from their verified social media accounts there.
Speaker 1: So hopefully we learn more.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's that's probably gonna happen in real time here in the next twenty four or forty eight hours or so. But it looks like US China could have an off ramp to this trade war sooner rather than later, which is probably a good thing for consumers. As long as Donald Trump and MAGA and America get concessions out of it. As long as there's something to actually point to and say this is actually a win, then I will be optimistic for it.
Speaker 1: But again, the devil will be in the details in that one.
Speaker 3: Now we're seeing more leftist officials being arrested. Funnily enough, when you break the law, you'll end up in handcuffs. Here is Newark Mayor raz Baraka, who was arrested at an ICE facility. That's the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention facility that opened last week. Josh, the mayor, claims he did nothing wrong and he's vowing to shut down the ICE facility there.
Speaker 7: You know, reader, if I didn't know any better, if I saw this clip in a vacuum of a government official storming, aren't storming a federal immigration facility there with anarcic intention, with the intention of undermining and subverting and dare I say, seeking to on a smaller scale, potentially overthrow one facet of the federal government. You know, if I were being a little bit more, you know, shall we say a little a little more diabolical. I might say this is that this looks a heck of a lot like an insurrection, because that's basically what it is. I mean, this is essentially a blue state mini insurrection there. And I mean, you know who the hecker of the Democrats, who the hecker of the left this year? You know, to say that Donald Trump and the whole January sixth and know this was kind of a republic threatening insurrection. I mean, what, just what incredible hypocrisy. But the worst part about it to me is that this says so much about the actual state of the politics of the Democratic Party, meaning what plays politically well for them? What is politically for the fact that the mayor of Newark saw fit to do this there, this means that he thinks this is politically beneficial because that guy wants to run for governor Jersey. He used this as a stepping stone for a state ride run. What does it say that a stunt like this, an insurrectionist stunt seeking to get arrested, a photo op and handcuffs that apparently makes you a star in today's Democratic Party? What does that say about that party? Obviously nothing particularly good.
Speaker 1: That's for sure.
Speaker 3: I could not believe the antics afterwards, Josh, because he was on every network playing the victim, pretending like this was political persecution. As you said, he invaded that facility, refused to leave. He was given plenty of choices and plenty of chances to actually get out of there without being arrested, and he refused. I mean, what, really, what other choice did authorities have in those circumstances.
Speaker 1: They had none. I mean, this guy wanted to be arrested.
Speaker 7: He literally had every intention of going there and being arrested for the cameras because he knew that he would get off their two tier assistant adjustice. Again, it's newer New Jersey. It's a very blue jurisdiction there, Democrat governor and on and on there. But again, he wanted this showdown. He literally wanted this because he thought that would play well for state wide voters. By the way, New Jersey is actually a politically interesting state. New Jersey's actually not quite as blue as people think it is. In fact, if you look at the twenty twenty four election, Donald Trump versus Kamala Harris, Kamala Harris wins that state. I forgot the exact margin, but it's roughly five points five five and a half points, which actually is really not a particularly wide margin at all, And in fact, Republicans have actually been making inroads in the New Jersey state legislature as some of these suburbs and ex serbs of Philadelphia, New York City trend a little bit rhtter in a more maga direction. There, there's a lot of people speculating that New Jersey could actually be in play at a presidential level in twenty eight or twenty thirty two at the latest. So you know, the mayor, you know, you know, the mayor might think that he is doing this as a as a political stunts to benefit his career there in the Garden States, but he might actually be in for a rough surprise, believe it or not.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for your time tonight, My pleasure Coming up.
Speaker 3: The overprivileged child of a Hollywood star among those arrested at Columbia University, Kinsey Schofield, is up next.
Speaker 2: Welcome back joining me now.
Speaker 3: Celebrity and royal commentator Kinsey's Schofield. Kinsey, the daughter of Maggie Gillenhall Gillenhall, Ramona, has been arrested during the chaotic anti Israel protests at Columbia University last week. She has reportedly been given a desk appearance ticket for criminal trespassing.
Speaker 11: Yeah, nepotism is so en rate now, Rita, It's not just a mug shot anymore. It's a headshot for her next roll as Misunderstood Nepo baby number three. What a fascinating social experiment here in the States when your last name gets you into night clubs, move and courtrooms all in the same week.
Speaker 3: Now, Alex Baldwin's wife, Hilaria has penned a new memoir titled Manual Not Included, where she talks about life with her Hollywood husband and their seven children. Let's look at her ridiculous antics.
Speaker 2: With the paparazzi. Who I suspect she organized herself.
Speaker 1: You have a book that just came out.
Speaker 6: How are you feeling.
Speaker 5: I'm feeling good, feeling.
Speaker 1: Good, busily that's true, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: The kinsey.
Speaker 3: Of course, we all cross the street holding books in that manner. I mean, the whole thing was so absurd. Who's she kidding with these antics?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 11: Hilaria now claims in her new book that her fluctuating Spanish accent is due to a medical condition ADHD in dyslexia.
Speaker 2: Oh, I have to ches.
Speaker 11: Marco well before I would ever believe this. Hilary from Boston is giving Blue Origin energy right now.
Speaker 2: This is Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I think I'm going to have to get you to read this book and just tell us the low lights and talking about low lights. There's been a lot of conjecture about Meghan Markle's podcast appearance with her good friend.
Speaker 2: Particularly about this point of.
Speaker 3: The interview where she appeared to be wiping away nonexistent tears.
Speaker 2: Have a look.
Speaker 3: Now, different commentators have zoomed in on her face and they say they can detect no tears.
Speaker 2: So what was she wiping away?
Speaker 8: In ZI?
Speaker 11: This is so disappointing coming from Megan Michael, who has gloated in past interviews that she just needs three seconds to secrete a fake tears out.
Speaker 2: Of her left eye.
Speaker 11: You'll notice her in Queen Elizabeth's funeral that there's only any type of saltwater discharge exiting her left eyeball throughout the entire event. She's just being lazy here. I think she probably doesn't want to ruin that electric spraytnd of hers.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, apparently it was a makeup free appearance. But yeah, I think her acting skills may be slipping because I did not see a tear there.
Speaker 2: Maybe if I.
Speaker 3: Looked closer, one would appear, but I don't think so. Now the Sussexes have copped it from comedian Colin Just on Saturday Night Live. He's showing that one of the conditions of Trump's new trade deal with the UK is that Harry and Meghan have to go back.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cruel, Kinsey.
Speaker 11: Look, there's no way President Trump would accept that deal. He's called Megan Markle nasty and says he feels sorry for Prince Harry because his wife is a lot to deal with, you know. Trump says he hates the way that Harry dealt with the Lake and judging by his friendliness towards King Charles, he won't appreciate the way Harry continues to run his mouth against the monarchy today and say what you want about the Trump dynasty, but they are incredibly close and loyal to one another.
Speaker 2: Now more troubles for Paul Megan.
Speaker 3: She has been threatened with a ten million dollar lawsuit after a woman suffered catastrophic burns allegedly from the Duchess's do it yourself bath salt recipe.
Speaker 2: This is a recipe.
Speaker 3: That Kinsey featured on her Netflix's show What else can you tell me about this?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 2: I could tell you.
Speaker 11: I spoke to two attorneys about this. Both said this potential lawsuit could no pun intended have legs. Attorney Christopher Melcher, who's ally based on Hollywood, here that Netflix could have and probably should have, put a disclaimer on the screen to save their own skin, saying, you know, consult a doctor or seek medical advice if you're looking for something specific. Meghan foamd this is crazy, he said. She's willing to resolve the matter without litigation if a financial settlement can be reached. Feels like a little bit of a shakedown, but if her demands are not met, she intends to launch a lawsuit seeking settlement damages of a minimum of seventy five thousand dollars to cover medical expenses.
Speaker 3: Ah, this is going to be fascinating because if there is some sort of a settlement, I expect to see a lot of other people coming forward with their own stories. You don't want to incentivize that kind of behavior if it's not genuine before you go, Kinsey acted. Tom Cruise has shut down questions about Donald Trump's movie tariffs. At a recent press event in Soul for Mission Impossible, the Final Reckoning, he told the Tends that he'd rather answer questions about the movie.
Speaker 11: This is why I think people like Tom Cruise, why he has this longevity when it comes to his career, because he's like, I'm not going to get political. I want to focus on the facts. I'm here to promote my movie. And I think that that's why his career is as long as it is.
Speaker 3: He's had plenty of bad press, Kinsey, particularly with his personal life scientology, but he's still a box.
Speaker 2: Office hit, and I think you're right.
Speaker 3: Part of it is he does big films, but part of it is he steers clear of politics. He lets other people worry about that so he doesn't alienate half the population with his political views, whatever they may be. Kin Ziscofield, always a pleasure. Thanks for your time tonight, and that's it from me. Up Next is Newsnight. I'll see you at eleven tomorrow night.