Speaker 1: From The Australian. He is what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Wednesday, October one, twenty twenty five. A complete Harmas surrender and the return of all hostages in return for the release of Palestinian prisoners. That's the core of a twenty point peace deal announced by Donald Trump and Benjamin Ette Yahoo, with the blessing of Arab and Muslim leaders. But what's in it for Hamas and does it have any hope of working today? Our Foreign editor Greg Sheridan joins me for his characteristically acerbic and hilarious assessment of what happens now.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, the presidents of the United States.
Speaker 3: I'm the Prime Minister of the State of Israel.
Speaker 4: It's called peace in the Middle East.
Speaker 3: Will have permanently ended the war.
Speaker 4: So the hostage is the coming back.
Speaker 3: You are the greatest friend that Israel has ever had in the White House.
Speaker 4: So it would be headed by a gentleman known as President Donald J. Trump of the United States.
Speaker 3: This can be done the easy way, or it can be done the hard way, but it will be done, will be done.
Speaker 1: Greg Sheridan is The Australian's Foreign editor, Greg. We all know Donald Trump likes a winner. It looks to me like Benjamin Ettania, who is the winner here? What's your rate of it?
Speaker 2: Well, it's a very very good deal if it goes ahead, and the Palestinians would be crazy to reject it. It's the best deal they're ever going to get. But I don't think it will happen. Trump is a tremendous impresario of these White House events, but he hasn't been that good on the follow through. You remember the summit with Vladimir Putin that Trump had only a few weeks ago, and nothing at all has happened. Trump has accomplished quite a few things already in this steal. He's got the golf Arab States on board, which is remarkable. But to do that, he got Benjamin Nettna, who to apologize to Qatar for conducting an operation on their territory and promise not to do it again. Well, I've been covering Netnahu for many decades, and let me tell you, you don't get many apologies out of Benjamin Netah. Trump has done a traditional American thing there, which is to reassure the Gulf States, and that normally empowers them to be more forthcoming to Israel. Now he's given netna Who an off ramp from this military campaign. If Hamas comes to the party, so nettna Who would be able to stop the major military operations. And if the extreme right in his government deserted him, probably he would get enough support from the centrist parties still to get the peace plan accepted. But the extreme right might just have the wit to stick with something that Trump offers them. The ridiculous premature recognition of Palestine by a number of states, including Australia, had led to a huge move within Israel to annex part of the West Bank. It was, as we all predicted, one million percent counterproductive, but Trump seems to have stopped net Nyahu from that. So that's an achievement for Trump. And now it's the best deal of Palestinians we'll ever get because it involves the United States directly in their future prosperity. This is certainly the best chance the Palestinians have had in a generation to get something productive. America is certainly not talking about permanent colonialism in Gaza. They're talking about a big international effort to restore, rebuild, and reform Gaza. But the Palestinian leader in its long history has never missed a chance to miss a chance, and Hamas of course has to go out of business to accept this deal, so probably they won't. But it's deeply unpredictable.
Speaker 1: Who would be able to convince Hamas to surrender? Do you think, Gregor? Or is it going to be a matter of musk taken out of there by members of this international stabilization force that Trump is talking about.
Speaker 2: No one can force Hamas to surrender. Hamas is a death cult infused with terrorist ideology, inspired by Iran, profoundly committed to the Salafist Islamist extreme view of the world in which Jews are a primordial enemy of all Muslims. And from Hamas's point of view, they like what's happened. They don't mind that there are tens of thousands of Palestinian instead, that's fine with them. They want Israel to be isolated internationally. So the International Stabilization Force only comes into existence if Hummas surrenders. Indeed, the International Stabilization Force is one of the long term weak points of the deal, although I think it's the best thing on offer now this deal. If Hamas rejects it isolates Humas instead of Israel. So that's another quite significant judo accomplishment by Trump. Really, he's turned around the dynamic of international politics all on his own. No one can force them to surrender, no one can force them to do anything, and they are being in this deal offered amnesty and safe passage out of Gaza, so they don't even have to give themselves up to death, but they have to give up all power, and they have to give up the lingering leverage of these probably twenty odd living hostages whom they continue to torture and mistreat. So Hamas has to behave like reasonable human beings, but there is no evidence so far that they have that within them.
Speaker 1: All these problems seem like the same problems that have stopped peace since October seven, twenty twenty three. What is different about this deal? Why have Arab and Muslim states agreed to it? Why hasn't it Anya who agreed to it when they haven't agreed before.
Speaker 2: Well, there have been several ceasefires before, several ceasefire proposals that Israel has agreed to and Hamas has refused. But then Hamas never wanted the peace deal, so they found an excuse to pull away from it at the last minute. Now what's different this time, Well, a couple of things. First of all, all the Arab states, the Gulf States, and indeed other big Muslim majority states like Pakistan and Indonesia and Turkey have endorsed the deal. That's quite an accomplishment of American state craft. Iran is much weaker than it was before. It can't exercise the same leadership over Hamas that it once did. Hasbla is out of the equation. The Palestinian people in Gaza have suffered utterly, horrendously, appallingly terribly, and I am critical of Israel's actions in the last six months. Even though Israel has a right to wage war on Hamas, I think in the last six months there's been so little military benefit out of it. Now Israel will eventually hunt down every last Hamas member in Gaza and kill them if the war goes on. But there must be now pressure from the Palestinian people. Although Hummas always holds its own people in complete contempt. You know, when those people bravely had anti Hummas demonstrations in Gaza, they were rounded up and beaten or killed, so they don't care about Palestinian opinion. But you've got the whole Arab world, the whole Muslim world, except Iran. The Palestinian people all wanted end to this. Israel has prepared to offer an end to this on reasonable terms. They have a partial withdrawal and they allow the administration of Gaza to go over to an international authority. But the long term prospect of having the Americans take on Gaza's rebuilding and prosperity as an American project is just fantastic and unbelievably rare in the Trump Whitehouse. So the Palestinians would be absolutely crazy to reject this. But on the other hand, the Palestinians have rejected clear, concrete, generous offers of statehood at least four times in the past, if you also count their rejection of the original partition. Unlike the fatuous, nonsensical, idiotic, brainless, hollow burblings of our own government in Australia, Trump has offered both an incentive, a positive incentive. We're going to help you rebuild a prosperous Gaza, and he's offered a penalty if you don't do it. We back Israel's military action. Trump doesn't deal in sort of come by our statements of kindness and goodness. He's offering them a good deal. If they don't take it, they are terrible consequences.
Speaker 1: There's a real sense of New York real estate about this, Greg And I've wondered, is this what the Middle East has been lacking for the past couple of thousand years? Is a bit of sort of Manhattan property developer energy. Point one of the twenty point plan is Gaza will be a deradicalized terror free zone. Point two is Gaza will be redeveloped for the benefit of the people in Gaza. I mean, we're all imagining condominiums on the Mediterranean, of course, But in all seriousness, is there something about Donald Trump that is the magic factor here?
Speaker 2: I don't want to say that, Claire, because the deal has not been delivered, so he is now offering a very good deal. This is Trump at his best. But previous presidents haven't been idiots. You know. Bill Clinton negotiated a fantastic offer of a state under the Israeli Prime Minister Aehood Barakle, the Palestine Israelata state on ninety three or ninety five percent of the West Bank, plus compensating territory from Israel proper, the whole of Gaza, and a capital in East Jerusalem. Now that is the absolute maximal dream that any Palestinian state could ever aspire to. And they basically walked away from the deal. And Bill Clinton's chief advice to George W. Bush when the handover came was, don't trust Yasara Arafat, because they'll lie to you every time he opens his mouth. So it's not as if this is a unique Trump genius. I think this is what the Americans do at their best. They put incentives and penalties on the table. Trump is an unsentimental and brutal realist, and that's a big advantage. I think Barack Obama was misled by his own idealism or his own view of the ease of human nature. The less you know about the Middle East, the easier it is to solve. The closer you are to it, the more intractable and difficult it is. And even this deal good as it is, I predict on balance, the Palestinians will reject it. Hamas will find a way of killing it because they have no interest in peace. You know, there was peace before October seven, there was a ceasefire. Gaza was getting a billion dollars a year in aid from Katara, one of the Gulf states. Thousands upon thousands of Gazans were free to work in Israel proper every day. There was economic development. There are condominiums in the West Bank. You know, if you go to Romala, there are all kinds of brand outlets, stores and all the rest of it. The Israelis and the Americans have always wanted the Palestinians to have something they don't want to lose. That's part of the stakes of peace. But the terrorists within the Palestinian movement and fueled from outside the Palestinian movement by the likes of Iran and has Blah, always want to destroy that dream. They don't want peaceful co existence with Israel. So it'll be interesting to see how the balance of forces resolves the Palestinian decisions in this moment.
Speaker 4: It's amazing. I think, Bib I'm in depending on you. I think we probably shouldn't take questions, or would you like to take a question or two from perhaps a friendly Israeli reporter if there's sexual.
Speaker 3: That's a very very tough proposition, but I would think, mister President, that I would go by your instinct that this is.
Speaker 2: We'll have enough time for questions. Let's settle the issue first.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Coming up. So, how does Tony Blair fit into the picture. I'm curious about the Tony factor here, Greg.
Speaker 4: And one of the people that wants to be on the board is the UK former Prime Minister Tony Blair good Man, very good Man, and some others.
Speaker 1: Since leaving office in two thousand and seven, he's been a Middle East envoy. It's kind of become a real calling for him to try and get a solution here. I mean, he does have some runs on the board with the Good Friday Agreement finally bringing peace between Northern Ireland and the United Kingdom. What's your sense of Blair's role so far in this and what it means that he's supposedly going to be involved in this Board of Peace.
Speaker 2: I think it's useful. I wouldn't ever state it. And nobody in international relations is really a magician, not Henry Kissinger, not Tony Blair, not Donald Trump, not Richard Holbrook. Blair is very capable and he has a lot of credibility he's a little diminished in retirement because he's been pretty promiscuous about the way he's made money for his founder and for himself. But at the same time he is a serious, capable, credible person, acceptable to both the Israelis and the Arabs. He thens a bit of prestige. I mean, it looks good. I mean, forgive my terrible world weary cynicism, but you know, you remember how good the Oslo Accords looked as well. But on the other hand, you can't just speak, you can't just say, well, there's never going to be any forward movement. We've all just got a grind beary. I think this is a pretty good offer, But of course, even if it's accepted, implementing it will be enormously difficult. Now let me draw to your attention what the obvious first difficulty will be. So say Hummas accepts this, and Israel conducts a partial withdrawal, the Hummus guys lay down their weapons and go off and live in Qatar or somewhere else. And then the International Administration gets up and running and a lot of aid comes in and so forth. Are still going to be thousands and thousands and thousands of Ghazan young men who believe in the Islamist ideology and who believe that Jews are a plague upon the earth, and.
Speaker 1: Who are traumatized by this very conflict or radicalized at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true, but I don't think you can be mechanistic that way. You know, the ira was traumatized by adam Is British occupation, but they didn't have a profound ideology that the British were the work of the devil. So when they made peace, they made peace, you know, and the Republic of Ireland became one of the most peaceful, law abiding states in the history of the world. But this Islamist ideology is a very dynamic, proactive, serious, long running ideology and movement with deep historical roots, you know, long before the Muslim Brotherhood, but given a modern application by the Muslim Brotherhood. Now now they believe that Americans are the work of the devil, but they believe that Jews are particularly an element of evil in the world. Now, the point I'm making is these young guys will still be in Gaza, and at some point or other one of them will say, I'm going to find glory by killing some Jews. Now what happens then with the International Stabilization Force. Does an Indonesian soldier or a Jordanian soldier, or a Katari soldier or a Turkish soldier shoot a Palestinian terrorist to prevent them attacking Israel because if they don't, the Israelis will. And you know, polacekeeping forces in the Middle East are good tourists and they sometimes play a symbolic role, but they have no history of actually enforcing anything. So that's not a reason not to give it a try. But that's going to be one of the moments of truth. And Natanyahu said in the White House press conference Israel would retain security responsibility for the foreseeable future. So after October seven, Israeli is not going to let Guarsan terrorists come and murder Israeli civilians. But preventing that will be a huge task for the international force. You can rest assured that the Palestinian leader who makes peace with Israel will be a number one target for Islamist terrorists, and so far we haven't seen anyone brave enough to paint that target on their back.
Speaker 1: Greg Sheridan is The Australian's Foreign editor. You can read all Gregs analysis plus the takes from our experts around the world, and keep up with every development in this conflict anytime at the Australian dot com AU