Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Friday, August seven, twenty twenty six. A United States military base in Western Australia. The Australians revealing today plans are well advanced to stand up a Navy presence of two than three hundred American personnel to support the aucas nuclear submarine deal. Ben Packham has the exclusive right now at the Australian dot com dot au. More than fifty four thousand people who are not citizens of Australia have used the federal government's five percent housing deposit scheme. Permanent residents are eligible for the scheme, designed to support first home buyers into property even if they own houses overseas, Emotions are running high at the Bondai Beach Massacre Royal Commission, with accusations of grand standing and the pursuit of clickbait, and even the commissioners getting fired up today how one Jewish leader found himself being cross examined about the actions of Israel at a forum many thought would be about easing tensions rather than inflaming them. Our reporter Bimini Plessa is here in just a moment It's nearly three years since the October nine, twenty twenty three protest on the steps of the Opera House, but the anger is still reverberating, not.
Speaker 2: Reality, because you had protesters proudly screaming if the Jews where the Jews. One individual screamed out, I'm going to kill them all. There were flares being thrown at the police, there were flags being burnt. It was a scene of international disgrace and infamy. It's amongst the clearest examples of anti Symberism we've seen over the past few years.
Speaker 1: David Ossip is a thirty four year old lawyer and former local politician who works at an energy company. He's recently got married and welcomed a first baby, and for the past four years he's been president of the Jewish Board of Deputies, an umbrella body with representatives elected by Jewish hospitals, schools, synagogues and community organizations. That's made Ossip one of the Australian Jewish community's most visible public faces, and this week he found himself being cross examined about the actions of the State of Israel.
Speaker 3: You understood, didn't you, and you appreciated the Palestinian Australians were likewise filled with deep fear with respect to what the future held for those in the occupied territory.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm not the best place to opine on what Palistinian Australians were feelings.
Speaker 1: Definitely, this exchange is from the Royal Commission into Anti Semitism and Social Cohesion, and covering the story is our reporter Bivini Plessa.
Speaker 4: When protesters decided to rally on that October nine, when the Opera House was to be let up in the colors of the Israeli flag, the Jewish community was rattled. They were upset. And then when language like fuck the Jews was heard at that protest and Israeli flags were burned, he said that was almost salt in the wound, or that it stole the chance for the local community to go to the Opera House and see those colors and mourn those lost in the attack.
Speaker 1: Also was in the witness box to give evidence about public protests and police responses.
Speaker 4: Tuesday was a little bit different because David also wasn't necessarily talking about his personal experience or the general concept of anti Semitism, and because it was about these protests and specific groups namely Palestine Action Group and the Australian Palestine Advocacy Network. They were in the limelight per se, and so their lawyers were given leave to cross examine David Ossip, and so they were able to ask him about all the evidence he'd submitted and the qualms he had with those protests.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was Dominic Toomey sc, the lawyer for the Palestine Action Group, that's the group that's been organizing the big city protests that have been going on really since October seven. And then Ragni matur sc she's the lawyer for the Australian Palestine Advocacy Network, an associated about different group, and they've been given leave by the Royal Commissioner to cross examine David Ossip on two parts of his statement. Why what about those parts? Were controversial parts of it that were specifically discussed in that cross examination were David Ossip asserted that the.
Speaker 4: Protest at the Opera House on October nine was planned to go ahead before Israel ever launched a a response to the October seven attack, and so that was definitely put to him in that hearing. In that cross examination, he definitely doubled down on that assertion. But As those questions were being put to him, he was asked about certain air strikes that the IDF supposedly launched against Gaza, and he sort of stopped the questioning and said, I don't really understand why on a day when we're focusing on anti Semitism in Australia and protests that impacted Sydney's Jewish community, why are we getting caught up, in his words, the minutia of a foreign military's actions.
Speaker 1: This goes right to the heart of this very hot debate that's been going on between advocates for the Palestinian community and for the Jewish community in Sydney, doesn't it. This is the issue.
Speaker 4: Why was a.
Speaker 1: Protest held at the Opera House where there were chants alligedly of where's the Jews? Or fuck the Jews or maybe even guess the Jews? When Israel hadn't done anything that David Ossop's point, Israel had not yet responded.
Speaker 5: I want to suggest to you that you have seen nothing that has emanated from the organizers of the rally, namely the Palestine Action Group, which would suggest in any way that the rally was being convened to celebrate those despicable attacks.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately for the organizers. When you hold an event, you're responsible for what takes place at that event.
Speaker 1: Roima Tour took him to statements that had been made by the IDF, by the Government of Israel, by Benjamin Etnia who in which it was clear that they were going to launch offensive action against Gaza, even that power and water supplies had been cut off to the Gaza strip.
Speaker 3: The following day he declared war. And it's that statement, mister Ossit do you agree that it does not align with your assertion in paragraph.
Speaker 2: If no, I stand by my assertion completely. As I've told you before.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is a legitimate field for debate. What was Israel going to do? Was it legitimate for Palestinian people or their supporters to be angry or upset about that? The issue is was it okay for this to be happening at the Royal Commission? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, So David Ossip's real qualm and what other Jewish leaders have since chimed in on is this whole hearing block. It was one day. There was one day dedicated to protests and their impact on the local Jewish community. And so David Ossip and others were pretty frustrated that on that hearing, on that day, the focus was trying to be shifted towards Israeli military conduct.
Speaker 1: This exchange between Alsuper and Mature quickly made its way to social media, and Alex Riftin, the co Chief Executive of the Executive Council of Australian Jury, spoke to you about it. What did he say?
Speaker 4: He basically said that he was appalled at the lawyer's line of questioning. He felt like the Jewish community was given a chance to discuss why they were upset to see those protests happen here and how it affected them here, and so he took it far enough to say that the lawyers shouldn't have been questioning David Ossip, but the protesters should have been the one being probed on why they did hold those protests.
Speaker 1: Then and then Virginia Bill fired back the next days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Wednesday mornings hearing after opening statements went pretty quickly, Virginia Bell stopped the hearing and said that she disagreed because Alex's words were that the hearing was hijacked and the focus was steered away. Virginia Bell said it was not hijacked. And the line of questioning was fair enough because it was pointing to factual parts of mister Ossip's statement.
Speaker 1: He's David also being cross examined by Dominic Toomey sc Council for the Palestine Action.
Speaker 5: Group, addressing assertions that you have had and asking you whether you are aware of contrary fact that is that, indeed, on the seventh of October, air strikes had been commenced by the Israel Defense Force on the Gaza Street.
Speaker 2: I think I'm happy to address that again, but I think this line of questioning is very instructive.
Speaker 6: Mister Ossip. If the line of questioning falls outside matters that are properly before me, I will rule the question inadmissible. I have not made that.
Speaker 2: Rule absolute Comissioner. I fully respect that.
Speaker 1: David Alsop is a tough guy. I mean, he is out there in the public domain all the time, putting his point of view very forcefully. He's clearly someone who can hold his own in and debate. He held his own in the cross examination right, although there were objections from some of the other lawyers. Do you think he needed to be defended by Alex and needed to have it turn into a dispute with the commissioner.
Speaker 4: That's a fair question. I think it was clear in the hearing that he was pretty solid. You know, he didn't seem rattled by the questions he was there were being put to him. He did have things to say about them and question their relevance, but he seemed pretty sure of himself and his answers. I think the reason that someone like Alex and also the father of Matilda Bee, the ten year old girl who was killed at Bondai, he also chimed in with very similar frustrations about that focus being redirected. I think those came in from a place of being representatives of a Jewish community who lost people, and seeing a hearing that they felt was a chance to probe the social fracturing that led to that sort of conflict or that incident in December, they felt frustrated and aggrieved almost that the limelight was taken away there or attempted to be. And so I don't necessarily think someone like Alex was chiming in to defend David Ossip, but more so as a representative of a community that felt like the focus was shifted away on a day when it should have been here.
Speaker 1: It's called the Royal Commission into Anti Semitism and Social Cohesion in that order, I think there are some people in the community who would prefer it to be focusing also on Islamophobia and discrimination against Muslim people, or maybe on the conflict more generally. The Jewish community, by and large, I think regards as a bit of a truth telling process, though.
Speaker 4: Don't they on that islamophobia point. When Virginia Bell stopped the hearing on Wednesday to discuss this, she pointed out that the Council for Apan running Mature had been hit with a barrage of emails in the less than twenty four hours since that hearing until Wednesday that were, in her words, like vile, abusive, islamophobic language. And she really did make a point to say, in the same way that people like David Ossop who get up and discuss how anti Semitism has impacted Jewish community, no one who is Muslim or even representing a group that might be affiliated with Muslim people should be targeted by Islamophobia. So that has been touched on in the commission.
Speaker 6: It doesn't reflect well on those who make either anti Semitic or islamophobic attacks on the interests that they seek to promote. I'll say no more about that.
Speaker 1: The hearings have been now going for three months and the point of a Royal Commission is to deliver a report and some recommendations to the government. But really I think the point of a Royal Commission is the public hearings. I mean, this is where Virginia Bell can make her impact. I know they're being very closely watched around Australia, getting great numbers I think for the Royal Commission on their website. But it's an important debate to be having. Where is it going now?
Speaker 4: In the past few months, we've heard a lot about the impact of anti Semitism, but recently we've turned our focus towards what's driving those attitudes and extremism generally. So Sarah Meger from the University of Melbourne spoke on Thursday about how deeply ingrained misogyny is in a lot of variations of hate, including anti Semitism.
Speaker 1: That's interesting, isn't it. We hear a lot about Andrew Tait and kind of the manisphere, but I've never heard it linked directly to anti Semitism.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was interesting because she did in her testimony touch on the fact that students in schools have been known to be influenced by figures like Andrew Tate. She even mentioned instances of teen boys making rape jokes on campus. But what was interesting was the way she said misogyny is identifiable in almost every kind of hate that researchers see coming up in Australia. She also said negative attitudes or violent attitudes towards women were kind of key indicators that a young individual might have violent tendencies or might be prone to finding an interest in extremist ideologies in Australia.
Speaker 1: One very masculine movement is the neo Nazis in Australia. They did a very memorable protest out of the front of New Southalest Parliament late in twenty twenty five. That was when a whole bank of them stood in black clothing holding up a sign saying abolish the Jewish Lobby. The government was clearly shocked and kind of scrambled to change the law after that. What have we heard about that protest?
Speaker 4: So that protest did form part of Tuesday's hearing when we were looking into protests generally. A representative from New South Wales Police said that the higher ups simply did not know the protest was coming. So even though there was a Form one submission from the White Australia Group, which is quite notorious, that literally said that these sixty men were going to hold a banner saying abolish the Jewish Lobby, that wasn't mentioned to senior police or the state government. So it wasn't until the few hours less than twenty four hours before that protest that key figures in the state government and the police actually knew it was coming.
Speaker 1: That protest left a lot of Jewish people feeling afraid and shocked, especially as you know you mentioned the Form one in New South Wales, like in most lial democracies, the police's job is to approve and then manage protests.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so even though the police, these people do have a right to protest, so the police just have to manage that safely. But what the Commission heard on Tuesday is that there was an intention to inform the Jewish community that this protest was coming, that these things might be said that they may want to steer clear or at least just have a heads up, But due to a breakdown in communication, that notification never happened. So community representatives were not told and Jewish people were really caught off guard by such an extreme protest directed pretty clearly at them.
Speaker 1: Well, Ber, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Thanks having me.
Speaker 1: Buni Plesa is a reporter with The Australian. You can check out our coverage of the Royal Commission live at the Australian dot com dot a u