Speaker 1: Oh, get a team. It's bloody project. That's you, of course it is. It's Patrick, it's Tiffany, it's me, it's Jumbo in the studio. It's minus fifteen degrees in Hampton. I was rugged up like a bloody I was going to say an Eskimo. You're not allowed to say that. A what do we say? Patrick? Is it Inuit person in it?
Speaker 2: I guess it depends on where you come from. If it's North America or Canada. I think it's inwit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, And Tiffany and Cook who when she lasts, which she will in this episode, everyone you'll hear sound like a familiar cartoon character. Aka, there she is, There, she is, there, she is.
Speaker 3: It's Muttley.
Speaker 1: Muttley.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ucky races.
Speaker 1: There she is. Even Patrick can tell without being told, or like, listen to you. Oh gosh, I don't know what makes that resonance in your throat. I'm guessing it's phlem Ei no, no, Well, I wonder how many days of podcasts are going to be infiltrated by the bloody Martley factor. Anyway, we had yesterday, We've got today. Patrick, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good?
Speaker 2: By coincidence with the Wacky Races. My only nickname at school was Professor Pat Pending.
Speaker 1: That everybody as in Patent Pending.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Pat Pending was one of the characters in the Wacky Races. He was the Wacky Professor, and because in the Gadget's even as a kid, someone decided that Pat Pending would be a good nickname for me.
Speaker 1: Well, we might start calling you Pat from now on, although you are Pat, so maybe we'll just call you pp Pat Pending. How have you been it's been a couple of weeks. Well, other than bullying Craig Harper savagely before the recording started, both of you, honestly, yes, now you're lying. Paka, can I say everyone? It was about three minutes of just let's attack Harps and laugh at our own bullying by these two poor little defenseless Harps metaphorically in the corner, cowering, and these two standing over him, pointing their fat, little fucking fingers at me and laughing at each other with the barbs that they were each throwing.
Speaker 2: We were laughing with each other at you, not laughing at each other.
Speaker 3: We would never laugh at each other. Tif is so nice to me. She would never laugh at me.
Speaker 1: Great, all right, I'm bringing hr which is me straight after this.
Speaker 2: I think you'll find it's people in culture, Greig, people not here, Patrick, fuck people in culture.
Speaker 3: The only culture we have, your freaks.
Speaker 1: All we have is people. There's no culture. Now. Tips turned and might look at her. She's fucking just Oh she's thrown her spleen out onto the depths. She's put her bloody mute on him. Why did you put your mic on you? Did you nearly dislocate one of your kidneys? Again? I have to put that back in with a spatula? Fuck? What's going on with you?
Speaker 2: What did it say about my life? You asked me earlier? How how I've been? What does it say about my life that one of the most exciting things that happened in the last fortnight was Fritz and I walking along a new footpath that was made in our town.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's bland. I'd say that probably made the front page of the Balan Gallette.
Speaker 3: It was pretty pretty exciting.
Speaker 2: Is that was that? I mean, all honesty, What does that say about me? That I was excited to walk on a new footpath? Mind you, I've been here for eighteen years and we haven't had any footpaths in the time. Like you know, most streets don't have footpaths. My street where I live doesn't have a footpath, so having a new footpath going was quite big for an entire block as well.
Speaker 1: Well, it's good that you're telling everyone in Australia. It's because fuck, we're on the edge of our seats. But no, I think it's good. You know why I think it's good means it doesn't take much to make you happy. And that's a nice thing. Yeah, yeah, because a lot of people it takes a lot. Even when their life's great, they're still bitching about shit. Let me find let me look past all the good stuff to find something to bitch about. You know, Tip's dying over there of fucking some lung disease. But she's still smiling. She's still she's still showing up Mutley, she's still muttling. Speaking of Mutley, there's another dog on the other side. Fritz's Fritz the wunderdog, who hasn't spoken a word, but somehow as a co host if other than dying from the black plague. How are you?
Speaker 4: I'm feeling good. I'm good. Thank you?
Speaker 1: M are you better? Than yesterday.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I am actually and the.
Speaker 1: Day before Patrick or sorry, day before Patrick, we did a podcast and about halfway through the podcast, Tiff hit the wall and you could just see the deterioration. And every time I offer to bring her into the chat, he's like, nah, oh good. And then we had another podcast recording straight after that one. She's like, I can't do it. I'm like, okay, you go and lie down. So it's been an interesting medical kind of time over here. Let's talk about tech and such interesting things. Patrick. I actually spoke with it this one yesterday, but we'll cover it again quickly with David Gillespie about the lady who sued Meta and YouTube ended up getting a payout of six million. I thought it was three, but apparently it.
Speaker 2: Was six three years three US conversion you no, No, it wasn't.
Speaker 1: I said that same thing and he corrected me because it was three and three for something else. Apparently. Anyway, it was millions of dollars. The matter, the money doesn't matter, but yeah, walk us through this.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: The thing is this has been in the courts and it's and it's pretty landmark because whence she have a test case in the US courts and something's been proven. In this particular case, this is a woman who's twenty years old. She had been on social media since she was a young child, so first it was YouTube and then she went over to the meta stuff, so Instagram. But she was claiming, and the jury have come out and said, well, yes, she's correct that she became addicted to social media and it impacted on her mental state, her sense of self that and it was the algorithms and the mechanisms behind it that are inherently addictive.
Speaker 3: So it was just that.
Speaker 2: And I know you have very strong opinions about this to Crago, and at the end of the day, we all make those decisions ourselves whether to flick or turn the phone off and put it away.
Speaker 3: Ultimately, in this particular instance.
Speaker 2: It may be a watershed case because it means that it's now open the way for potentially hundreds and hundreds, even thousands. Some of it may very well be legitimate. You know, people who are susceptible to things like addictions. Electronic addictions are definitely a thing, So you can see where there would be a whole lot of people, but we're talking that you know, there are potentially sixteen hundred plaintifs in additional cases, three hundred and fifty families, two hundred and fifty school districts. They're all watching what's happening here and potentially lots more.
Speaker 3: Cases of its sort. But I mean this is a drop on the ocean. Mind.
Speaker 2: You know, whether it's six million dollars US, that's not a lot of money to a big.
Speaker 3: Company like Meta.
Speaker 2: But what it may mean is they may have to change the way that they use their algorithms, they may have to change the mechanisms. So they're still defending themselves saying, well, we didn't do anything wrong.
Speaker 3: It's not our platform. And the same with Google and YouTube.
Speaker 2: So it could mean a lot of different things in terms of a more legal cases and b whether it could force these big tech companies to change the way they try to.
Speaker 1: People in Yeah, yeah, no, it is fascinating and there's a kind of an intersection of legal stuff and psychological stuff and neuroscience stuff, and yeah, what was interesting chatting with Gillespie because he's a lawyer, right, so he was with like the challenges to prove causation not just correlation, and then you go, well, if if all of these millions of people are using what she's using, but they don't have what she has. It's very hard to go this caused it when there are so many other variables. But apparently they figured out a way that I think the only I think it was the only kind of social media stuff she used, was that anyway, they found a way. The they found out a way to allegedly prove or to prove. So the judge ruled obviously in favor of the plaintiff, and now Meta has appealed it. So yeah, like you said, if that goes down and it sticks, David reckons, it could take five years in and out of court. So that's what they wanted to do. They want to they want to manipulate the system so they're not guilty just yet, or they don't have to pay out or And also, like you said, it's not about the dough because whatever it is, three or six million, they don't that's four minutes of work for them. But it's the consequences of if this sticks, then that's a nightmare for them moving forward. But staying in the legal space man court using.
Speaker 2: Sorry, can I just before you go on this one other little point that you may not have talked about and I guess got I mean, obviously the legal ramifications, but what I wanted to point out in this particular case is this was a young child, so that when she started using social media, and it kind of vindicates the fact that we've got a now a ban in Australia for under sixteen's. UK is now looking at taking this on board because we know that the teenage brain can be more susceptible. There's a higher level of plasticity, So if you are manipulating the teenage brain or a children a child's brain at a really early age, that's another factor that came out in this case. I think that's really important to understand that these are young people who don't have the ability to make those conscious decisions that we do as adults, because we've got our formative brains, you know, we can look at right and wrong, we can make decisions, but young people have a different sort of way of thinking. And I think that's the other thing that I don't know how much it's been discussed, but I think it's a very interesting way to look at the band that we've got in Australia and how other countries are now doing the same thing that we've done, and taking social media away from children under the age of sixteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two things. One I agree with the taking it away from them, so I'm not anti this. I agreed with you. But to manipulate the teenage brain or the child our brain happens constantly in life, with parents, with school, with peers, with television, with music, with influences with I mean, so to go to manipulate the brain. Yeah, but it's always been manipulated. It's always being affected or impacted. But yeah, I agree with you, and I don't know. I don't know what the answer is, but we'll see. All right, now, tell us about the bloke who got caught using smart glasses to get advice. This is so clever. So he's gone to court. He's wearing smart glasses and he's getting advice while he's being cross examined by the I guess prosecutors what it it's so smart?
Speaker 3: Look at easy?
Speaker 2: It isn't because he got caught. So it's an interesting case. This was in January and it was in the UK High Court and it was a Lithuanian guy who's a CEO of a company that was trying to battle insolvencies, so he was fighting against their insolvency ruling. But what the judge noticed that during questioning the guy would has for a few seconds and then start to answer and during cross examination, and so he was being prompted by smart glasses. And then of course once the judge realized and told him to take off the glasses, he became pretty obvious he was just being cheating because he went, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. So that was kind of interesting, you know. So it's funny because it is, and.
Speaker 3: I think that.
Speaker 2: But the interesting thing is now it's going to get more subtle because I saw an article recently. We can now get contact lenses are coming out that are smart contacts that can actually have.
Speaker 3: A little screen built into them.
Speaker 2: So it's going to get harder to work out whether or not someone's being prompted in a.
Speaker 3: Case like this. So that isn't it funny?
Speaker 1: I thought, So whether prompt's visual or auditory.
Speaker 2: On a screen. Now they were on a screen. He's got his smart glasses. It was projecting on the screen of the smart glasses.
Speaker 1: So was it generating like a script or something? No?
Speaker 2: I think no, actually no, in this particular case, it was through his ear It was the little speakers inside the smart glasses. So I think there may have been a second person listening and then prompting him, and he was hearing it, so he was sitting back and listening and then replying.
Speaker 3: In this petition, She's.
Speaker 1: Just worn an earpiece, way easier. Yeah, this is interesting. Victorian business is fine for telling influencers to lie about paid Instagram posts in first of it's kind penalty, and I think, well, to me, what that's I mean, every influencer that's selling this or that protein powder or that range of vite, you know, and they're like, well this is this is how I look like this. No, that's just not true. But it's almost like we know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right normally in those cases. But in this instance, what they did was they told the influences not to say that they received something in turn for the review.
Speaker 3: That's where there's that's all right, Yeah, so you're quite right.
Speaker 2: That's what influencers do. They promote a product, and it's pretty obvious that they got this. You know, we were sent this Tesla and now we're saying it's a great car.
Speaker 3: But in this instance, that's not what happens.
Speaker 2: So the company was fined thirty nine thousand, six hundred dollars. A company called Thomson consolidated and they have an online service called Photo book Shop, and so thirty six thirty nine thousand dollars for a smaller business is quite a significant amount. But it also, you know, puts the message out there about the way that you use influencers, in the way that products are disclosed, and whether or not the disclosed. They also changed someone's review as well. They were called out changing.
Speaker 3: A review that was a little bit critical.
Speaker 2: I think the review said something along the lines of the product was a bit clunky to use, and they edited that bit out.
Speaker 1: Wow, well you won't like the next one you or tip. Android brands face a rough twenty twenty six with more iPhone switched. In other words, people going to iPhone.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was.
Speaker 1: Distressing for you, you bloody Android groupie.
Speaker 2: Well not really because I've got a Pixel phone, and Pixel was the least problematic of the Android ecosystem, so Pixel didn't do too bad. They're looking like they're still tracking. Okay, it's the Samsung's huaweies and all the other phones on the market show me that sort of thing. But it is interesting that there has been a shift. Australia has a very big uptake of Apple products. I've got to say now the iPhone is very prolific in Australia.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it might be one in two, or it might even be more. I can't remember what the stats were. I haven't looked at them for a few years, but certainly Australia is a great adopter of Apple iPhones. People love iPhones in Australia. That said, that's how it's tracking.
Speaker 3: At the moment.
Speaker 2: There are concerns because of what's going on in the Middle East and access to chips, the chips that are used in phones, and it looks like that the production of Android devices and Snapdragon, the different chips in those, and there the tensor trips, the chips that they're being used by androids. Where Apple has its own little ecosystem, they have a different production line, and so it seems.
Speaker 3: Like there's more confidence in the Apple products.
Speaker 1: I thought you, how's yours gone, Tiff is in your phone being a bit problematic at the moment.
Speaker 5: Yes, I write today I would jump ship to an iPhone. My phone keeps dropping out in phone calls all the time. I don't know if it's a phone issue or a network issue or what.
Speaker 4: Maybe Patrick could help you.
Speaker 3: What is it? What sort of phone is it?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 3: Do you restart the phone regularly?
Speaker 4: Yeah? And I believe it started after I did an update.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That that can actually be really problematic.
Speaker 2: Sometimes when an update comes through, you can roll back updates.
Speaker 3: There's a way to do it. You'd need to google it.
Speaker 2: But one of the things that you can solve a lot of those problems is to go into aeroplane mode for a few minutes and that or a few seconds and then switch airplane mode off, and that basically reinitiates the connection to the network.
Speaker 3: That may help as well, if that's going to be ongoing problem. That Yeah is good, didn't she Craigo?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, she's better than me and potentially better than you. I'm interested in this because my dad has sleep apna, and as do a bunch of people. Of course, the one hundred and ninety nine dollars Vita ring sounds almost like a drink. A Vita ring wakes you up mid apna before you ever know it. Happened, So what is that just vibrated on your finger or something does?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the thing that bear in mind is that one hundred and ninety nine is a special on Kickstarter in US dollars, so it's got just about maybe two hundred and sixty two hundred and seventy dollars. This is one of the first smart rings that I've considered getting for myself. I live by myself and Fritz never complains. Of course, then go around the other side, but no, he doesn't normally explain about me, you know, snoring or making any noises at night.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: This is an interesting one because for people who do you smart tech to monitor their sleep, say it's an Apple watch or whatever device or a Samsung, the problem is that generally you've got to charge them up every two or three days, whereas a smart ring like this has a lot longer in terms of its ability to track. But it's also less cumbersome. It looks nice or it's very solid. Like looking at this particular one, it's it looks pretty substantive, you know, it's really it's scratch proof, all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: And they have this system.
Speaker 2: So Vedas come up with this idea of alert, advice and act. So some of these health metrics that you look at are just monitoring and they don't actively do anything. So you wake up in the morning, you look at your smart watch statistics and it says, right, you had six and a half hours of really good sleep, but you tossed and turned for two hours or something. You know, I'm not eveentirely sure what the algorithm says, but in this instance, it monitors in real time and it looks like yours s patterns are and when it notices you potentially going into an appnear mode, that's when the vibration starts enough for you to be jolted to the point where you may roll over in bed or do something different just because of the movement. So it may not even wake you up, but it will cause you to alter your sleep pattern or your movement in bed. And this sounds really interesting. It's got a whole lot of different met health metrics, so seventeen different health metrics are being monitored.
Speaker 3: By the ring.
Speaker 2: But I can also see this would be great for older people potentially because they're probably more used to wearing a ring than a like a smart watch can becomesome for them and too technical, whereas this is a lot more subtle. And that's what I like about the idea of wearing something like this. I tried wearing my watch to bed a few times. I struggle wearing a watch to bed. What about you, guys? Do you do to health track it all?
Speaker 3: Tiff bed.
Speaker 1: I can't wear watches, old fashioned watches because they start, you know, the chronograph watches. If I wear a watch, the watch like within about an hour.
Speaker 3: What yep, yeah, litrically charged. What the hell?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've had it fifty times. I get a watch and put it on and the watch stops. Yeah. I know that's weird and that you might not believe me. Like digital watch is fine, but like old school watches, yeah, I can't work. That's why you've never seen like neither of you have seen me ever with a watch. I like watching. I just can't wear them.
Speaker 2: So what this battery powered and wind up So both you've tried both the battery ones and the wind up ones.
Speaker 1: That's a good question. I well, definitely had wind up ones. Yeah, but they stop. Yeah, I don't know. Well, I'm sure there's a reason for that. I was just going to say, Patrick, I could see you in a potential mister Patrick getting married and exchanging Vita rings at the altar?
Speaker 3: Did that at work?
Speaker 2: I do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like as long as he's a geek as well. Google's start shaming apps that drain your battery?
Speaker 2: How good is that? This is interesting? We'll see what people may not realize. Well, look, for most of us, we know we're in a new city or where somewhere where we haven't been, and turn on our GPS and use our phone to walk around and get around the place.
Speaker 3: Our batteries get drained pretty significantly. I don't know if you've.
Speaker 2: Noticed that before, but certainly using GPS drains your battery. However, what a lot of people don't realize is that lots of apps do lots of different things and use up different system resources. Consequently, they actually take up more power than other apps.
Speaker 3: So in this.
Speaker 2: Instance, what Google is now doing is it's rolling out in the play Store a little indicated to say how much that app is power.
Speaker 3: Hungry, which is kind of cool.
Speaker 2: So it means that when you're loading up new apps on your phone, you can say, okay, this may be problematic, or you switch the app off. So you know that it's not going to cause problems if you want, you know, I like that. A lot of phones now go into a power save mode so you can set and this is an interesting one. If you're going to spend a whole day away from chargers and you don't want to waste battery, what you can do is go into power save mode. That will effectively turn off all the things that aren't necessary, so you'll extend the battery life. I was at a constant recently and a friend of mine his phone was dropped down to like about fifteen percent or less than that. And so I've got a battery share feature. So at dinner, I flipped my phone over and my phone can share my battery power and charge his phone.
Speaker 3: So that was kind of cool. We did that for a little bit. The Pixel phone does that.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure about other phones that can do that as well, but I can share my battery with other people, just kind of Can I tell.
Speaker 1: You something funny that is interesting? When it said I thought this said this heading Google starts shaming apps. I thought that were apps that shamed people. That's how I read it. Yeah, yeah, and I thought I'd created these apps that shame people and also happen to drain your battery. So I'm a fucking idiot, is the take home message. Chemistry student develops clear nail polish that turns your fingernail into a touchscreen stylust.
Speaker 3: How good is that?
Speaker 2: This is really interesting because I've observed now there's a lady who's a receptionist at a company I do some work with, and whenever she uses her smartphone, it does my head in because she's got really long fingernails. When she uses a smartphone, there's this really bizarre way that she has to flatten her hand to use the s because generally we just kind of broaden punch.
Speaker 1: Souse the nail gets in the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So this student and this I love this that this is a student at Centenary College of Louisiana and her name is Manside de Sai, and she noticed that it was problematic.
Speaker 3: So she is a researcher.
Speaker 2: In the area of I think it was like in cosmetic chemistry. So she had the smarts in that area. So she's come up with a clear nail polish that acts effectively as a styluss once it's coated on the nail, it becomes a styluss and it makes it easier for you to use on your phone.
Speaker 3: I thought that's awesome. Isn't it a great idea?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I see a couple of issues. So the nail keeps growing, right, and then you've got to cut the nail or shape the nail. Do you have to keep you must have to keep reapplying the stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I guess if it's just the one finger, you know, yeah, that's fine, You're right, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: It's not going to affect for the rest of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm just planning for my styluss fingernail.
Speaker 3: See, do do you let your fingernails grow very much?
Speaker 2: Because I get to a point where I have to cut them because I used to do a lot of rock climbing and these are way too long. I'm just noticing the talons at the end of my fingers at the moment.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's creepy. It's funny you ask, because I actually have an inch answer. So, as some people know, I used to play guitar a lot for a long time, but I have not picked up a guitar in ten years. And so the other day I took my guitars. I've got a few up to the old guitar mechanic and went, can you make these or razzle dazz or put some new strings on them? Blah blah blah. So a lot of guitarists, like people who play a lot. You'll notice if they're a normal right handed guitar player, their left hand will have no fingernails. Their right hand will have long fingernails, so they can pluck. You're right, and so right now my right nails are or my right hand has got long nails, my left hand has got short nails. So that's a weird little bit of trivia that people don't need to know. But generally mine is short, tip yours short? Sure its functional?
Speaker 4: Yes, because I'm learning guitar harps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I know you are. My nails down the female Tommy Emmanuel, you can maybe let the right side grow. Patrick, tell me about the ideal amount of coffee allegedly that's going to there seems almost a counterintuitive statement, the right amount of coffee to lower stress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't that interesting? This is not just an arbitrary study. So the researchers in China, and this is I find this interesting because it actually says China. I paid the most have ever paid for a cup of coffee in China. Was crap because Chinese generally don't drink that much coffee.
Speaker 1: And I'm not not renowned for it.
Speaker 2: No, paid fourteen dollars for a coffee like That's outrageous, isn't it?
Speaker 3: And it was terrible.
Speaker 2: It was Yeah, anyway, I should have gone back and got more, but any other language barrier. But so, what these researchers did at Fudan University in China, they took some findings, and it was findings from over four hundred and sixty thousand individuals over thirteen point four years. And what they did was they looked at the mental health at the start of the study and then over that span of time they charted how much. It was just self reporting, but they said, you know, how much coffee do you drink? And they seem that after the number crunching, those people who drank two to three cups of coffee a day were the least likely to develop mental health problems compared to those that didn't drink coffee at all or who drank more than three cups. So that sweet spot is two to three cups is what they found out. Now this again they were looking at other people's research and they collated it all. But it seems like, you know, nearly half a million people over such a long amount of time, and that's conclusions that they drew from that, you know, that number crunching of that data.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. One thing I would want to know is how many milligrams of caffeine per cup, because that can vary from forty into one hundred and forty to like one hundred. So but yeah, it's I don't know. I think moderate caffeine intake for me, and it is not medical advice everyone, but for me, definitely better, Like it's a kind of a good stimulant, not a crazy, out of control stimulant. Definitely an improved cognitive performance for me, attention focus for a period of time. And also just I like my little morning ritual Patrick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too, I mate, I mean I was running, I wasn't actually running late this morning, but I had a shower, I got ready because I've got to go into Melbourne on the train on the chu Chuo.
Speaker 3: I can't believe just said that. Can you cut that out to anyway? I love it.
Speaker 1: The chuo choo that you do. Did you do yeah?
Speaker 3: Did you chose a direction?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Nah?
Speaker 1: Fuck that. Let's know, let's leave that all in yep, go on. So what's your coffee ritual?
Speaker 2: Well, this morning I had to have a coffee before I came in, and you're probably not going to be you might be able to see it. It's a really cute mug that I've got. Can you see that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, loved by a schnauzer, loved by someone gave.
Speaker 1: You've obviously heard Dame Edner's or watched the video about if have you ever seen Dame Edner talking about his wife schnauzer? Yes, viewers, Viewers, you probably if you haven't, viewers, listeners, if you haven't seen that, just Dame Edner. It's on Park Parkinson.
Speaker 3: Liz Patterson. It was Liz Patterson.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's right, sorry, Les Patterson. Exactly right. Yeah, very very funny. New psychology research reveals the cognitive cost of smartphone notifications. Oh this is see.
Speaker 2: This is an interesting one because we talk about the impact of using your phones and being distracted by technology, and it seems that it's not how long you spend on the device. It's how often you're distracted by the device, is what this particular study. So this was a study in computers and human behavior, and what they looked at is how your concentration gets broken by notifications. So one of the things I realized many many, many years ago was that every time I was using my computer and Outlook was checking for emails, I'd get a ping and that would be distracting because the first thing that you do when you hear the ping is you rush to your inbox to see it might be a new email. It's that kind of reward, you know, the ping is the notification. The reward is to see if there's a new email. So I turn off my Outlooks ability to check for emails so that only I choose when I want to check for emails. So I kind of take it away from there and I'm not distracted. But smartphones do this all the time when you look at your notifications. You know, I always turn notifications off when I'm teaching or I'm going to be in a meeting. One of the loveliest features, my favorite feature of my phone, my pixel is I like that when you turn it upside down, it goes into do not disturb mode, and I find that when I go into a meeting or I'm talking to someone, putting your phone fail down is also a very visual queue that I want to talk to you and not be distracted by my phone. I think that says sends a clear message when you're somebody, because there's nothing worse than having a conversation and the person picks up the phone and you think, are you talking to me or are you're looking at your phone? And I know people who are like that mid conversation will start looking at their phone. So it makes a lot of sense when it comes to being distracted. You think about all the different ways you're distracted during the day. Tip do you have notifications on what pings on your phone? What you know, what's your computer doing?
Speaker 1: It's not a fair question because she's got ADHD. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I turned all my notifications off and very few of them will show the.
Speaker 4: Red dots, and I hide things.
Speaker 5: But I'm still stupidly addicted to still pick it up, pick it up all the time. Check I'll pick it up for one thing, and I opened four other apps first, and then I forget what I picked it up to do.
Speaker 3: It was a landmark court case recently, Tiff that you may be with the leaving readjob.
Speaker 4: We're thinking about it.
Speaker 2: You can retire six million US. Holy crap, that's worth the case, isn't it?
Speaker 4: No mate, I'm on big bucks at type. That's not worth it for me.
Speaker 2: We do in fact, Craig Didy double my, would I get for the Joe this year?
Speaker 1: You're too okay now you go? Yeah, fucking idiots. That's what I had before the start of the show. Everyone, I expect me to pay them. Get good and we might talk about it. AI software for smart glasses wins a million dollar or a million pound prize for technology to help people with dementia. I might have to get some for some people that I know quite closely.
Speaker 2: This is interesting because you know, there's lots of talk around smart glasses and the use and applications, and there's the centers in one sense that call them glassholes because they can film things when you're not sure about. But this is actually a really interesting one and it kind of comes to heart to me because Mum had dementia and what they're talking about is embedding AI software into smart glasses so that people wearing them can be prompted whilst with verbal cues, and that's really good. So think about maybe, you know one of the things that happened with mum. Dad still worked and Mum was at home, and if there were a few times where there was one instance where Mum turned the burner on on the stove and put the plastic kettle on the electric kettle. Oh yeah, and that's the reality of how dementia can work. And you know, keeping people at home safe is really important. So potentially the smart glasses could be monitoring what's happening on a day to day basis and if you went to you know, if you could imagine then turn the gas off, if those prompts were being able to be given to the person with dementia, it could make their life so much safer. So there's no there's no surprise that they've won a one million pound fries.
Speaker 3: To further develop this.
Speaker 2: So it's called cross Sense and but quickly you wear it and it's a chatty assistant. It's called Wispy and yeah, it's able to give you prompts and feedback during tasks, so verbal cues and now you can even have text floating in front of your eyes and you can ask questions to it, you know, and engage in conversation. So even the loneliness factor of somebody suffering from dementia, they may be able to combat that as well.
Speaker 3: I think it's awesome. This is really exciting stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think one of the I think that's brilliant too. One of the challenges is like my mum's you know, she's in that space and she's eighty six and she's had an iPhone for like that I buy every few years a new one, like for the last ten years, and she still doesn't know how to use an iPhone, like and she taps it with her finger and I like a fucking woodpecker. I'm like, Mum, you know, just just put your index on, you know, just use your finger, not your nail. And it's like if she comes the higher she comes from, like if it doesn't work, then she taps it harder, you know, Like it's like force is going to make I don't know, like it's.
Speaker 3: A capable as you can buy now that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get that. Let's get some of that for her. I wanted to talk about this one because I and I wear headphones all the time when I'm about has it as substances found in all headphones, Oh my goodness, tested by the tox Free Project.
Speaker 2: So this was an article in The Guardian a few weeks ago, and it really kind of frightened me a little bit because I do wear headphones all day long. I have in my office and they sit on they literally sit on me all the time. But that means that that plastic is sitting against my skin and so it heats up and it cools down. And so this organization, this tox Free Pronchi, is looking at what actually happens when we come into contact with plastics. And I know plastics are the whole new Achilles Heel of the human race at the moment, and it's frightening to think that, you know, I mean, how long has plastics been around for It's a petroleum product, that's you know, and it's in everything. But now they're saying that even the top level brands. This is what the report said in the Guardian, bows Panasonic, Samsung, sen Hi. So we're found to contain harmful chemicals because of the way the plastics are made. So the formula of the plastics which they're actually made of, and there's nothing regulating what sort of plastic is being used in manufacturing, so there is somewhat they call not medical grade, I think they call they call it medical grade plastics. So they're designed to be used in medical products or they're safe safer to use, so whether it's being used in a microwave or being used to store food. But that's not necessarily the case with headphones. And this is where the industry is now home under scrutiny because these plastics are in contact with us constantly, and that's the concern because we've got them in our ears, we've got them.
Speaker 3: Vibrating against our jaws or whatever, or over ear headphones.
Speaker 2: And now they're kind of saying, well, there's no immediate health risk, but what they're concerned about is the long term exposure. So don't throw away your headphones now. But they talk again about vulnerable group groups like teenagers, as children are growing, what are the impacts of having chemicals like coming out of these plastics that potentially could be influencing because they're even talking about affecting young males, and with some of the plastics mimic hormones as well, so they have the same effect that hormones do on young forming bodies here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they're called end to crime disruptors, and you're exactly right. So, and what we know is the softer the plastic, the worse because it's more permeable. And so you get a bottle of water, you leave it in your car and it's day. You should absolutely not drink that absolutely also somewhat distressing for most of our audience that I'm about to share with. Think about a warm or a hot coffee, or worse, a black coffee in a takeaway cup with a plastic lid. You put your lips on the plastic, and then you have this heated liquid coming through the plastic into your mouth. I think, and I've never heard this theory, this is mine, maybe somebody else came up with it. I think we're going to find out that's a big fucking problem down the track because you've literally got this stuff that can permeate a that's a very vulnerable type of plastic that and we're drinking through that plastic. That's a pretty easy entry system into your physiology. So either drink out of a mug like a ceramic mug or whatever is my advice, or get yourself a steal keep cup.
Speaker 2: Now that's interesting you say that though, because I've got a glass keep cup and we thought, oh yeah, glass keep cup.
Speaker 3: That's a bit of option. But the lead is still plastic.
Speaker 1: That's right, and that that is an issue.
Speaker 3: That's a more plastic though, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It's that's very very hard. I've got the same I've got a steel keep cup and the lid is like steel plastic. It's still I'm not, I'm not. It's great, but I will often take the lid off anywhere and just drink out of the you know, like unless you need it to be hot for ouse. We've got to wind up very quickly because we've all got to get out early. Is today, let's do one more tell us about mini brains replacing lab animals. I do not even know what that means.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is yeah what I love it being a vegan.
Speaker 2: You. I finally introduced it into the conversation and there was a bit of seguey there, no, what the idea is that they're now lab growing cells.
Speaker 3: That's tickled fancy there by the.
Speaker 4: Way look on that his face is.
Speaker 3: Just it is.
Speaker 2: I wish we could if you show this to our listeners, because you know he does get that. Look, wait a minute, he's going to pick up his shabby now and wipe his face.
Speaker 4: I think you just swap into his smart glasses so he.
Speaker 3: May put him at the start of the show.
Speaker 1: See what I mean? Everyone, what I mean bullying? Bullying? It's subversive, it seems low level, and they gang up on me like that all the time. Yeah, the comments are going to be boo fucking who harps? And then that makes you a bully as well?
Speaker 3: That boo who harps?
Speaker 1: Is that the title of the episode. Yeah, boo boo, poor poor fragile jumbo. I'll survive, all right, tell us come on.
Speaker 2: So obviously, mice and rats and pigs have often been used as the animals for bio research. Now we can culture and we're talking two hundred million animals used in labs every year, and if we can combat that. And the thing is, you know, we've cured cancer and so many different mice, but is pothetically identical to us. So the reality of it is, even though we're using animals that are very similar to us genetically, they're not identical to us. So if we can culture stem cells that then grow into say a brain culture, and then we use that for study and research that has a lot of merit because they're human brain cells, not a pig or a chicken or whatever it is using. So it has this double benefit, one being that you know, two hundred million animals may not necessarily have to be experimented on, and we're closely aligning whatever we're researching with what's genetically much closer to us.
Speaker 1: Well, that's good. That's good for a range of reasons.
Speaker 3: The win win, isn't it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: It certainly is? Patrick. Where can people find you and you know, come and see you and employ your.
Speaker 2: Services websites noow dot com dot au and if you have anything you want us to talk about. If you think we should be bullying Craig regularly on the show, please feel free to contact me and I will pass it on.
Speaker 1: I will accept it. I will take it now because it's all about getting uncomfortable. It's okay, I'm okay with it. You're bullying equals my resilience, So have at it. You just you just let lose you too and bully TIF. What have you got to say for yourself?
Speaker 4: Nothing?
Speaker 1: For me?
Speaker 5: I think you're fabulous in your floating today and it's been a pleasure.
Speaker 1: So you don't try and you can't wind it back. Now what's done is done, and don't worry. It's it's locked away in the fucking cognitive vault. So don't you come to me for any favors. Ah, we're just gagging. We love each other everyone, so don't think, oh my god, there actually is a if there's no fucking riff. I always say to people, if I pick on you, I love you. So if I don't pick on you, oh.
Speaker 3: Sorry, can I just tell you a quick quit thing? I know we shouldn't do this. Ah, when I was in Italy.
Speaker 1: Fucker now, it's like you know, when you've said good night to your mum and she still keeps talking on the phone night and you're not fucking getting.
Speaker 3: So we're gon.
Speaker 2: We're on a golf buggy tour of Rome, right, so three of us in the back of these little cabs at the back of this thing. Anyway, we're twenty minutes into the tour and the tour guy turns around and says, you guys must be really good friends because you keep giving each other shit.
Speaker 3: It's like, because that's what I do with my friends.
Speaker 2: And it's true, isn't it When we rip each other and do all that, we don't really make it because we love you.
Speaker 1: Do you know who's not as good at it?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 1: Ladies? Ladies? Ladies like a lady.
Speaker 4: And then I realized you weren't talking about me, as I'm old lady.
Speaker 1: No, no, lady, Well you know that you've said that, But what about you know, Diane comes up in a new Frock and Gail goes, that is fucking horrible, Like, what did someone pay you? Is this a bet? What's going on with that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Because ladies are more I guess, caring and empathetic, and they'll lie their asses off to make someone feel good. Am I right? You're not like if you think that something's fucking horrible, you're a lady of friends, you know, I don't. I think some women would go I would tell them. I don't know though in the real world, ladies, let me know. Am I wrong or right? Go to the Facebook page? I think because you want to make people feel good, so you'll tell, as Mary would say, a little white lie, a little white lie, because you don't want to hurt people's feelings. See, but blokes We're like, nah, fuck you, you look like a bag of shit. All right, great story, great ad, by the way, fucking hell that'll go down. Then in the fucking the trophy cabinet of typ do you.
Speaker 2: Reckon anyone's even listening, because we already kind of signed off.
Speaker 3: See you guys, see Craig, see t Bye.