Speaker 1: Approche production.
Speaker 2: This is not just the story of a missing man. It's the story of how ambiguous loss can not only hurt a family, it can tear them apart. Belle Wilma and her husband Darren believe her dad was killed for money. Police believe that he's missing presumed dead. You can head back to previous episodes to make your own decisions. In the last four years, John's bank accounts have not been touched, he didn't have a mobile phone, his healthcare card or any other documents that link to him have not been accessed. As with most missing persons cases, the public plays an integral part in helping police in the family get closure. It's the reason we put these podcasts together. We think that maybe we could reach a new audience, an audience that may have not heard the story of a missing grandfather from Perth. I asked the investigating officer, Joe from homicide in wa was assigned to the missing persons unit, if there'd been any signings of Jawn since his disappearance.
Speaker 3: For the media were very good at the time. The media really engaged with us as a police force and they were able to get the message out. The sisters will getting that message out to members of the public. We had some fightings come forward to us, people that suspected that they may have seen mister Johnson in and around Lanceton at the time, But unfortunately, despite our attempts, we weren't able to corroborate those titans. There was one or two that I felt were unlikely. There was one that was possible but couldn't be proved. And regardless of that, unfortunately, other than placing him in Lancelin at the time, they didn't offer anything that could lead to the resolution of the case or locating mister Jensen. So the members of the public were great coming forward, but unfortunately I couldn't corroborate or the opposites that were dealing at the time to not corroborate any of that. CCTV or any service Science.
Speaker 2: Talk me through the man that was spotted. I believe it was by someone that was riding a bike. Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think on the twenty fifth of June, about eight am, remember, the public was riding a bike in Lancelin. He saw a mail that wasn't this similar in appearance to mister Jensen. He said that the man was walking carefully, not boldly, as if he was worried about traffic. Remember, the public did say hello to this gentleman. He could never be identified by us, and there is every possibility that that was mister Jensen, but there's also every possibility that it wasn't. It's something that we couldn't We couldn't confirm. If this gentleman did fight mister Jensen, then we would know that mister Jensen was on his own at the time, but we can't take that as evidence then use that because we just can't confirm it. So it's frustrating from an investigative point of view because I'd like to be able to confirm that or be able to disregard it. And despite all the investigation that's taken place, I can't be sure that mister Jensen was the person that that gentleman saw on the day.
Speaker 2: Bill also confirmed a few sidings that led to nothing.
Speaker 4: I mean, there was a bit of a flurry I found around Facebook because obviously social media nowadays, you know, You've been a lot of comments and apparently the gardener up there looks familiar, all looks similar to my father. Quite a few people had said that, so I'm not I'm not sure but there was comments from one particular witness saying that there was a man dressed in black stating next to my dad's vehicle texting, you know, and then he was seeing texting again, you know, in the beer garden. Whether this person is is was possibly the one that dropped the vehicle off, I don't know, but no, there was no sightings off my father.
Speaker 2: When you have ambiguous loss and not knowing the answer, you you sometimes and I think we all do this, you look for answers. And one of the places that you looked for answers was with a psychic medium.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's correct. I mean, you know, it's something I guess, you know, you get desperate. I'm not the only one. There's plenty of cold cases where people have reached out in those situations, and you know, it was something that you know, you know, I've been interested in anyway, so back and you know, my sister even once had a psychic party years ago at her house and my mum was there, and you know what I mean. So we were just in that sort of stuff and my mum died. We actually went to see John Edwards together, you know. Again it was just more interesting or whatever, and so basically once a year to the day, popped up on my Facebook feed this particular medium which I can't disclose his name, but you know, I was doing a seminar at Tune Reception Center. So I thought, bugaret, you know, it was actually cheaping. Only these things are expensive. So I said to my girlfriend, why don't you come along, you know, why don't we just go?
Speaker 5: And and we did.
Speaker 4: But yeah, weirdly enough, my sister and O her husband were also at that same seminar, but we were obviously estranged by that point, so we did not go together as such.
Speaker 2: And did the psychic say anything?
Speaker 4: He did, look, I didn't sort of get a reading. It was sort of one of those, you know, fairly intimate little settings where you know, he'll go around reading people. And I kept putting my hand up right at the very end, and you know, because I was keen to try and get it ready, I was just in I didn't know what to expect, you know, a bit dubious, I guess, you know, I've never had a connection or anything, you know, but I thought one not, I really know, I put my hand up writer yet and then he and then he pit me and obviously you know, sort of started sort of connecting or whatever, and then you could see him instantly, Yeah, look quite ill and just when what what's happened? And then he goes, was your dad murdered? And I said, well, it's still under investigabe me know, he haven't found his body. And he goes, I can't talk to you about this in front of everyone else, you know, I'll talk to you after the seminar geographic sort of information that was coming through, and so yeah, he was kind of enough and he said, look, I didn't want to talk to both of you as in a sister and myself, you know, after after the fact. So finished up the show and yeah he had private reading. And yeah, the information that was told to us that night, it's not the sort of fluffy, airy fairy, lovey dovey information that you know, traditionally psychic or you know, medium sorry, you know, would tell you. You know, so this guy's been pretty blatantly honesty. You could tell it affected him in terms of the information he was trying to pass on. But yeah, he made it very clear that you know, dad has met with foul play and you know, openly telling it to both of us and sort of giving us details, graphic details that you don't want to hear. Obviously as the daughter, obviously he didn't want to tell us. But but yeah, it just sort of cemented my It's cemented my theories.
Speaker 2: I guess my thoughts.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, I knew he had passed obviously, and I knew he committed citicide. And he was very clear with that ressage. He goes, I've been doing this for so many years. I know when that for me to suicide, you know, And I know it's a weird topic. It's something that's very out of the ordinary. It's very you know, some people you know my sort of.
Speaker 6: I'm naturally skeptic. And yeah, the things he said, you.
Speaker 4: Don't take it lightly, you don't take it.
Speaker 5: I don't know who.
Speaker 6: Would say those things anyhow, But yeah, it's but he also said many things as far as money and all that, which very much rained true.
Speaker 5: So for Belle was very much a confirmation.
Speaker 4: Was just a confirmation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is not the first time that I've talked to someone who suffers from ambiguous loss and that has contacted a psychic. You don't have to be a believer to understand that when someone your love disappears without a trace. You'll do anything to find an answer, even if that goes against what you've believed for most of your life. Bell has passed over a copy of the recording that her and a sister made with a psychic medium in Perth on the twenty sixth of June twenty eighteen to recap Both Bell and her sister, who at the time were estranged, happened to go to the same psychic medium at a reception hall in Perth after seeing an ad on Facebook. They sat away from each other and never interacted. During the evening, Bell raised her hand and in Bell's words, the psychic knew that something had happened and he said that post show they should meet him private. Bell's sister also attended this meeting backstage. The following recording is the actual recording of that meeting, which is being played with the psychic medium's permission. His website says he's a well respected psychic medium in Australia and he's passionate about helping others. He starts by talking about how Jawn is coming to him.
Speaker 7: Because that's the way that he cuts through the way that he showed me as well and I need to be honest as well.
Speaker 5: It's like he was.
Speaker 7: What's what's that? What's what's an ax? He keeps showing me your next. Was he hit with an ax?
Speaker 1: Was he murdered with the ax?
Speaker 4: There was blood at the house. We don't know what happened. It's been analyzed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, cause he keeps showing me your next.
Speaker 7: But this is the way that that uh, I don't know if there was something to do. But he's also showing you people taking or people have got him or.
Speaker 1: There was males that have got him gender.
Speaker 7: Yea, what people are getting him or or taking him or have abducted him.
Speaker 1: It's like there's a group of males.
Speaker 5: That have got.
Speaker 1: It's all known.
Speaker 7: He's deceased, but the way that he passed or the way it's like somebody has taken him or got him.
Speaker 1: That's what I mean when he was alive. Kakay cause this is like foul play.
Speaker 4: Yep, I knew it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And that's what Dad showing me. And it's like people coming in and and and it's not giving me, Oh, this is what that child and that's why do you wanna talk about it? But it's like, I mean, getting you that he's talking about it in the boot and and he's gone his his life, that that gotten rid of it?
Speaker 1: What's with the boot? What's in the boot? Did that find in anything in the boot? Just he felt how how like you think? Okay?
Speaker 7: Because he keeps talking about in his boot. I don't know if there was blood or he was in the boot, but they cause I feel like here the way that he come through is like he's taken or his beat he's beat bashed. And that's that's what I keep seeing him. Okay, hasn't he been found or what's what?
Speaker 4: No? Not everything.
Speaker 1: That flood in the house. Yeah, he's I'm gonna be honest. It's he's been dragged out.
Speaker 7: It's like somebody has has taken what three guys have come in and take me and they and that's what what he keeps seeing. And he keeps seeing me. I don't know if this is know him is my man? Here's something there's a connection there, yes, with you. And there's also what he keeps showing me is with his acts.
Speaker 1: This is how old is going be. Please be honest, because they're wacking the moment there. Yeah, and they're waking him in the back like the wacky movie. But it's like he's gone in he in the ditch.
Speaker 7: Or he's buried in blush land because he's showing me bushland, or like he's uried. You're not gonna find what he's he's saying, but he's what he showing.
Speaker 1: He is, Like, what's with the kitchen? Is it? Did you find it?
Speaker 4: Was? He was bothing his feet out near the kitchen area.
Speaker 7: It's okay because this is where they've come in and this is where they work and it's free grise and this is what And that's why I said.
Speaker 1: I can't talk about it in front of the room because it's like he's been.
Speaker 7: Was taking every gus. But these guys that did it, they were cleaning up that. It was like they made sure where where the mess was and where the blood not to have it everywhere.
Speaker 1: Were there and.
Speaker 4: It wasn't on the part of it, not in his car, but.
Speaker 7: There was struggling with him, but there was three three guys. But they keep whacking in over the back of the head like they keep knocking him out.
Speaker 1: And so that's that's what your day.
Speaker 7: Keep sure when you say it was found played, does he give you any hints of to to why or or outlaither. Way that he's talking about is is like it's not just somebody's just disappeared.
Speaker 1: There's it's about like there's there's something there that there's.
Speaker 2: Something but was it?
Speaker 5: Was it robbery or was it It's like your.
Speaker 1: Dad or your father knew knew of them, or new friends that knew of them.
Speaker 7: And I don't know if there was money or owing money or something to do with money, And what's I don't know if there was a bank account. Actually there was some money gone, but it's had to do with that, okay. And what's April?
Speaker 4: I keep saying an April, Dad, April, we have a big falling Easter.
Speaker 2: This psyekic does not know the sisters. There is a chance that he could have read some of the details about John's disappearance in the paper, but it would be unusual for him to have any information about the kitchen and why it was important. Also him knowing about the significance of April and the fact that money or missing money was a possible motive. He also makes a claim that in his contact on the other side with their dad, the dad is saying, one of my daughters thinks I went missing. One of my daughters thinks I was taken, and she's right.
Speaker 7: I don't know if what he believe one story will believe that that's not the way to happen. What are you saying, is like one of the daughters or one of the girls that liked him, this has happened, like what I'm saying, Yeah, I thought, and he's going and she thinks that someone it is if someone's coming in. But yeah, people come to me for private roads and stuff. And I have no idea what you guys come for. Like you sit there and I just got a little of it. And there's so many times ago we believe you. Then what because everything you say matches of yea, yeah, and this is the way. It's like, that's why I couldn't talk about it, because but your day keep showing me your next.
Speaker 1: For me if I see I say it, and that's what what you don't keep showing me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll never give up though, So it's not over.
Speaker 2: The psychic medium's final claim this was not suicide. George Jensen was murdered, most likely for money.
Speaker 7: The way that they did it and then everything else is it's like they covered and you're not going to fight like it's.
Speaker 1: You can keep looking, you can keep but you know what, when.
Speaker 7: It's your turn to pass, Dad will be there waiting for you, and you will and you know what, you guys were meant to be here tonight, and you work because I can only tell you what I'm seeing, what he's passing on, and that's the confirmation about the nation as well.
Speaker 1: So for me, that's it comes through, very very sure that it does.
Speaker 7: I've never felt like this before a show, and the way that it's like this was definitely your dad.
Speaker 4: I can't help pilip so many.
Speaker 7: But he keeps showing you the back and like somebody go out of that bang bang bang.
Speaker 2: Whether you believe in mediums or not, you can only imagine how shocking this would have been to hear. For Belle and her sister. This medium is saying that a dad was taken by three men and was bashed. He says, her dad knews amen, and after they attacked him with axe, they buried him in a ditch in the bush. Bell has been very careful in our chat, and as I've mentioned before, we're not making any suggestions that anyone has done anything wrong. We're just presenting the facts as we know them. In saying this, I didn't want to beat around the bush with Belle about asking her a question that I think I already knew the answer to. What does Bell think happen to her dad?
Speaker 4: No, I, one hand, on my heart, believe he was murdered, and I believe the fact that, yeah, there's red flags that sort of point to why he could have been.
Speaker 2: What do you believe a possible motive would be for someone taking a dad's.
Speaker 4: Life money he had nobody left to take. He told me the friday before that he was only down to ten thousand dollars, you know, with the money next to his seeing it, And now I know maybe he was just keeping me in the loop. I don't know, but it was weird why he felt like you need to tell me that it was only down to ten thousand, you know how, I said, he normally have about eighty thousand, and he realized he was only about down to ten ten And I found out later that apparently it was only four when it was taken from the house. But even if we say four thousand, that's still doesn't make sense why he would have gone to the atm that many times, especially after the four if he did, you know, having that four thousand next to his bed. Dad did have a will and it was fifty to fifty for both of his daughters. And that's the other thing. That was three phone calls Thursday, Friday, Saturday leading up to my father's disappearance from unknown numbers. And I still don't know who those people are. I still don't know why he's random. Three people, random numbers been called my father just happened to be the three days before. I don't know. They don't even check, you spone until I had actually flagged with him, probably about May nineteen or something like that. I said to you please check his phone, his phone records, you know, because things weren't adding up, and I just I really wanted to. Yeah, so I've I don't know. I would love it if if they did, and I could at least have an answer, because you know, he had certain friends, and I said to the police, you can easily analyze his you know, telephone records, because it's other than me, sister Phil. You certain certain people that he calls, you know, So these three phone calls are out of the ordinary.
Speaker 2: Bell How has this affected your life.
Speaker 4: I'll never been same. You know, I've had people people part the in front of my house. I've been followed. I've even followed someone because she was down to the front of my house. I remember I went to go get fish and chips with my daughter. I had her in the car and I realized, all this is weird and and I'm not chasing this woman because I knew she'd been out in front of my house. And then I turned around. O shit, I got my daughter in so Spain. I've got my daughter in the car, and then I looked at her face and she was panicking on what am I doing. And we've had another incidents where, you know, we've had a scare the day we went to see a barrister. You know, we've had two people drive past our house and intimidate us and we went into hiding. We pulled my kids out of school and we went into hiding. It's we've got a house on alert because we are worried for our lives. And why would we have this worries if you committed suicide, why would people care? That's what I don't get. But there is something not right, and yes, it's affected my life every single day.
Speaker 6: It has affected us as Belsen, where you have had people park outside our house. But there was definitely this one day where I was in the kitchen and I held this very loud music coming from a car which was straightened for our street when a cold sacks an area and whatever else and older people in the streets and that it just got my attention straight away, and I went straight to the front of the window and there was this old commodore parked out the front.
Speaker 5: Of our house. They were staring at her house.
Speaker 6: They started tooting the horn like crazy, and a couple of big, sort of hairy guys in the car and they just stared up at the house for a while and then they just gunned it off.
Speaker 5: Took off laughing. They looked each laughing at this.
Speaker 6: It was designed to get our attention, and it did. We immediately went into hiding for a few days. Immediately called Joe birth, the person in charge of our case, which he took it seriously. As Bell said, there's an alert on the house so if anything does happen in the future, where you can make a call and the police will be there straightaway. I hear noises in the middle of night and I've got to get up to see if everything's okay. You could look after my family. I now sleep with a small axe next to my bed. I don't know what I'm going.
Speaker 5: To do, just be was a bigger man of than me.
Speaker 6: But yeah, we're not making this stuff that someone has tried to attendidays, They tried to get our attention, and that doesn't happen with suicide.
Speaker 5: This has affected us greatly and it still will.
Speaker 6: And we get scared on what to say sometimes because even doing this was a big deal, because we think some serious people have been used to get rided bells down to get regressed for money, and it's a scary thought thing.
Speaker 5: Those people are trying to scare you off. So it's yeah, you're a you're a husband, you.
Speaker 6: Want to protect your family in every way, and yeah, that's constantly on my mind, constantly on my mind, and it's not fair to live like that. Yeah I'm not easily shaken, but yeah that trok me for sure, Belle.
Speaker 2: One of my final questions, is there any chance that your dad drove from his house for an hour and seventeen minutes parked his car at the Lancelod Beach Hotel walked down to the water and drowned himself.
Speaker 4: No, absolutely not. No. Wait and if anyone else would glad to challenge me on that, please step forward. You know, I've been vocal, I've been honest. I've done my Facebook page, I and everything. If there's anybody else that can tell me contrary to that, then please speak up, like I'm uh, please prove me wrong.
Speaker 2: The Facebook page is called Justice for Jessper.
Speaker 5: How can people help?
Speaker 4: Already? The amount of support I've had just when the general community has been overwhelming, Like it's not something I ever expected to have to do, you know, but I've sort of reached five hundred likes, and I just people can just help me buy continuing to support me. You know, they've been sharing my posts, they've been you know, just offering support. And the amount of people that have reached out, like you know, and I've had brib investigators reached out. You know, I want to help you for free and thinks because obviously they no, we don't have the money. And there's this there's some beautiful people out there that restores your faith, you know, But it's just if you know something, say something, even if it's little. Even if it's something small, I just want I just wait. Silence is not what you need when you have this type of ambiguous loss. You need people to speak up. And there are people that know what happened to my dad. So if there's people that know, please just support any information other than that, you know, the support that they keep receiving from everyone is just overwhelming, and that's all I can hope for. I just I'll never give up.
Speaker 2: Joe Burr, the investigating officer in the case of John Jensen, may not necessarily agree with Belle and Darren's view on what happened to their dad, but they do share the common goal of finding an answer.
Speaker 3: The best way for anybody to give us some information that we previously don't know is the contact crime stoppers. Crime Stoppers they are excellent and collating information that comes into them and feeding it through to it in person. So any intelligence that comes in is automatically then transferred to us and a sign to us as investigators to follow up on. If anybody out there did have some information that we don't currently know, or do you think that we may not currently have to know, I'd be more than happy to look at that because although this has gone to the coroners, that's by no means the end of the situation. I mean Bells are and the rest of the family They've obviously still living this night there. So anything that can help us bring that to some kind of inclusion for them and help them move on from this whole situation would be very much appreciated and something that we would be easier to hear.
Speaker 2: If you know anything about John Jensen's disappearance, you can contact crime stoppers on one eight hundred, triple three, triple zero. Thanks for listening to this episode and supporting this story. Independent storytelling that shapes the world is what podshape really cares about. Right now, There's thousands of people listening to this show and our other true Crimes, and they're completely engaged. More than ten million Australians listen to podcasts each week. If you've ever thought about advertising your business in a podcast, there's a link to reach out in the show notes, or head to podshape dot com to book a free call.