Speaker 1: Well keep squeaking closer and at the moment, I think the start of every show week so we've got to have a look at the ladder and outstarting to shake it. The shape up and as we said last week, points differential is so important. They look at the nature the ladder. At the moment, you've got the top four which is stantoning more and more settled. I mean as far as forms concerned, certainly are was pretty locked in. You'd think so dolphins sit there, they've got the ability to go up but still down. Then you've got Knights, Rabbit O's and Bulldogs that sit in the eighth. The Cowboys just outside with Manly. It's it's interesting like the Cowboys after the weekend, most people yask them just blindly. Do the Cowboys play finals? They said absolutely, no way, but they've got a dream run hand.
Speaker 2: Off the back of conceding eighty points. If you go have a look at that run like Titans, Eels, Tigers, they win those, they're back of the conversation when you look at that. I think it's starting tape show. I think the Canary Bulldogs ten weeks ago, I don't think we would have been very confidence saying the Dogs can do anything this year, No way, but I think they can now got back a bit of their DNA defensively with their line speed at work rate. But the big point for them is why I think they are a threat. They're halves and their back rolls. They were devastatingly good on the weekend and I think they can have enough threat there to cause some damage. They they play a good brand of foot foot they can unsettled penrate.
Speaker 3: The Roosters and the Warriors.
Speaker 2: South City for me, is the team that if it doesn't win a couple could be on the slide. Dogs versus House In a couple of weeks, there's a couple of big games that will determine. I think Cowboys can slip in, but if they beat the Titans this weekend, I'm gonna give them a chance. But I think it's all down to how they bounce back this weekend against.
Speaker 1: The big times. The best house than the Bulldogs, uh Souse has got paramatter, then they've got the Dogs. Dogs have got the Roosters there that house, that that that game that that when they come up against each other what they call an old fashioned four point.
Speaker 2: Penrith and the Warriors yeah, you go to start looking at those things as well.
Speaker 3: You do.
Speaker 1: It's interesting in playing the Roosters this week for the Dogs because you see sides to go in these great runs and when the loss, it sometimes burst the balloon. So it's a critical game for them.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I know you give the Dogs a chance against the Roosters big time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big time. The Roosters are exactly the side that's in their wheelhouse. They can They'll go with the Roosters and look to upset the Roosters with their rushing defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the Roosters with a lot of confidence with the eighty points. This is a game that the Roosters play the Dogs and then Penrith next week. I sit here thinking the Roosters have all the ingredients, but if they can't beat Penrith or at least play close enough to the point they rattled them a little bit, that is a huge game in their Premiership credentials.
Speaker 1: Penrith, you said, ignore that first couple of weeks coming out of state of origin. It's a little bit of tread water refocusing. Boy that they were good and clear. His performance. I just love the variation what he played with I don't think I don't think Ivan can drop Jack Cougar again. I just I just think it's what like, It's not just what Jack gives the football side, right, he gives them a very pragmatic they know what they're going to get with Jack Cougar. But what the great thing about Jack Cougar is what he gives Nathan. He just gives Nathan a freedom. I watched when Jack's playing in the side, Nathan, Nathan is a lot more hecky to say this. There's more variation. He's game, but he's more. He's more all in on plays. Sometimes I watch him sometimes, Nathan, and he doesn't he won't push himself too far into a set because he's got to look after that last tackle option and whatnot. When jackson the side, he's willing to really take the line on more and more and takes some risks because he knows Coiger can pick up the slack and finish the set for him. That makes sense, he doesn't have to nurse him through the game.
Speaker 2: I get your point about the variation and unlocking and things like that, but unless I think Blaze to Lungey holds a key if his defense is improved for me, he is back in because they don't need to improve.
Speaker 3: All that much to win the premiership. But Nathan for me, needs.
Speaker 2: To touch the ball more than ever before. He doesn't need to have someone else to help him out. He's a gun like. He is an absolute the best player in the competition, so he doesn't need help. In my opinion, I think it's where the blaze to lungey. Its defense is good enough to bounce back. That's my key, and if he does that in New South Wales Corp, he is straight back in the team.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting one to watch Nathan's football with Jack alongside him. He hops in there, rolls the.
Speaker 3: Greend final when he came on the field.
Speaker 1: I get that he'll get him because as you know, Coop, I mean, you're a guy I had to manage to many sometimes for full field and as a playmaker. That's sort of playmaker. You need mental rest through the game.
Speaker 2: But you can have Cogger on the bench you can get that impact if the game is not going in your favor.
Speaker 3: I don't know that if they.
Speaker 2: Should start a game with Nathan moving in and out of the normal rhythm, I.
Speaker 1: Think what we're about to see with Nathan. Just watching him in that game on Saturday night, Nathan is about to take ball playing to another level that I don't think Rugby League or even maybe Ruby Nions have ever seen. Just some of the things he was doing, some of the subtle variations, the late straightens, the deception.
Speaker 2: You can tell, like even some of his kicks, that this isn't something that he's just oh, you know, I'm going to try this, Like he has been master in his craft for.
Speaker 3: Weeks and weeks and weeks.
Speaker 2: He's now got the confidence to pull out banana forty twenty kicks, stop steady ball playing, no looking sort of long passes. He's been working away in the background. Yeah, and I agree he's about to have a really good back end of these.
Speaker 1: Thinking about him after that game the other night, and thinking about certain things he's obviously been working on and little adjustments, some little experiments. I reckon you're going to see little there's going to be moments in Nathan's career where you'll see him take half a step backwards, like he's lost a little bit of form. But in my opinion, it's he working at working at new little ways of doing things that makes sense, Like I'm not a golfer koper at all, but I love Tiger Woods's book and it says about Tiger Woods once he was out there playing one day and he just he was winning majors, but he just felt that he didn't have full control. So he went to it to a swing coach and said, I want to change everything. And he said, are you willing to do this? It's going to this is going to set you back two years in your career. He said, I'm willing to do it because I want that subtle improvement. I want to actually be perfect. And I'm not saying that Nathan will. You know it's going to take six months there. But you see little last year at that started. Last year, his football just went back a little bit. But I think it was him trying to progress his football in the long term.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's the key part is chase perfection. I don't think anyone in this in world gets to perfection. As long as you've got a mindset to continually improve and get better, it just lives lifts the standard. And that's the point you're talking about. Like Nathan's not all of a sudden just trying tricks. He's actually doing the building blocks of ballplane and then doing the tricks on top of it, like his cake is multi layered compared to any other door player in the competition.
Speaker 1: Biggest threat to them at the moment the Roosters. I mean, there's there's sides closing in left, right, and center. You are the Roosters who are suddenly playing the best football seen play for a long one.
Speaker 2: Trent Robinson in when he's one, Comps has timed his run like that.
Speaker 3: They feel like they're timing.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about the Sharks in the second and the war. So those two sides are closing in as well the Roosters. The reason why I think the biggest threat is because they're they're a sort of side that tipify. That's that's saying on their day, that makes sense, like they come up against anyone and on their day.
Speaker 2: I don't like that comment because it depends on which side of the bed you roll out whether he can win or not. Right, But the one thing I like about the Roosters is the season has been trending in the right direction, and every decision around winning in September for me is can you beat Penrith. That's ultimately what it is, because if you're going to try and sidestep them, then it's hopeful thinking. I feel like most people talk about Tedesca and Sam Walk and rightly so. But if you look at Penrith, I think the far Who White and the Ford pack the Roosters have could be the team that just really dominates physically. The Panthers back Moses Lioda is a damn good player, Lindsay Smith the damn good player, Lim Henry's a good They're all good players. But the fact is Fisher, Harris and Leota have always been there and I feel like the far Who.
Speaker 3: White is now growing into the alpha that.
Speaker 2: I feel like he could actually if you look at the eighty points on the weekend, go have a look at the tries that were scored, or the line break scored, or something that happened when it was Victor Radley and far Who what either one or two play the balls doing something in the leader. I think there's something that the Roosters have an advantage over Penrith. But the one thing that Penrith has over the Roosters is the record. Yeah, the Rusters have not beaten Penrith for a long time and in a big game, and there are I don't care how confident you are and how good you're playing unless this game in two weeks time the Roosters can do something that says we can meet you anywhere, anytime and will beat you as opposed to on their day. I think that game in two weeks determines whether the Roosters can win it or lot.
Speaker 1: Sam Walker is having He's had a real jump in his performance state of origin.
Speaker 3: Just a sugarhead of confidence that he needed right.
Speaker 1: And he came out of origin and he's just come out like that performance was something good. I like that. I like that when he's barking at Marke you Mark give it him a bit of a spray there. I think I think it's probably symbolic of where CMC's he's standing in the team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, but the.
Speaker 1: Big don't keep We're talking about the moment and I don't think it won't be a distraction for him. But it's good talking point. Ten years, What do you think? I don't like ten years. I don't like ten year deals for players and they like it for clubs. It's rarely that one party doesn't lose out. I don't like it. For a player because circumstances changed so much. You know which on field circumstances, whether it be injury. You don't think too much about form because some form doesn't matter who they are. Can have a little depth, but class always comes back. But even things that happen off the field, which a fact which effect on field performance. All those factors. He put up a good argument for ten years on the weekend, but I just don't. But I don't like it. It's a look I've said to people before. It's a cage. In Sami's case, it's a golden cage, but it's still a cage.
Speaker 2: Ye, No, I agree with you. I wouldn't be signing anyone to a ten year deal. It's just my personal circumstances. In fact, I'd be waiting into the game against better than two weeks time before signing any condrect, just to see how he goes. Like, if you think about a ten year contract, these are the little clauses or return on investment that you probably should get from ten years. You've got to play the majority, let's call it, three hundred games, Like you've got to be available, you got to be ready to play all those three hundred games. You've probably got to win multiple Grand finals in ten years. That's fair at multiple prelim finals and more than one, Like you've got to have one or two in the cabinet over ten years. And you've also got to be the best player both on and off the field, like you've got to set the training stands culturally, you've got to be the main guy that they lean into. So like Jerry Evans ten year deal, well, no real grand finals in there since his first year.
Speaker 1: Personal form yes, but as far as effecting the side now, no.
Speaker 2: Tal malolo like what he got Dallium two sixteen Grand final the next year.
Speaker 1: A couple of years where he was the Cowboys were going what are we going to do?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like the history of the game, is there anyone that's really return on investments those as we've spoken about.
Speaker 1: Delivering a couple of yours mates? Yeah, camera Jammy Smith's one definitely, Billy out a couple of years out, years.
Speaker 2: Out for his shoulder, Like he does play three hundred games for the Storm, but two years out is a big thing. Darren Lockier is probably a return brother directing your brother was a return.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so. I don't think I wouldn't sign him ten years like a lifestyle No. No, But for ten years there were injuries there. Joey had years, a couple of growing years where he was carrying injury. He got close. But but I mean Darren Lockyer, right, Darren Locke, you just sent me that's a there's an argument for Locky without a shadow of doubt like you had day doing close to eighteen months. We had a little dip going from full back to six and the adjustments of that that made it was only probably the back end of that premiership winning side into premiership winning year in two thousand and six that he went okay.
Speaker 3: Starting reinvented himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Freddy is one. He got sort of the start of the Super League war. He went from Penrith to the Roosters because the a r L Super League alignment. Freddie won a competition, got him in the competition in two thousand and two. We had a couple of tough years going in and.
Speaker 2: I feel like the Ruses are damned if they do and damned if they don't, because if they don't, then I imagine he could get that ten year deal at X amount of dollars anywhere else, but you also want a little bit of a returner investment of clause or whatever it is. So I think I think the game against Penith in two weeks site is going to be a big thing for everything.
Speaker 1: We've got a lot to talk about it, but let's just stay on this for a second, because we've oftentimes being to talk about contracts and how things work. But I think this is interesting at the moment what we're seeing now in the game. It's traditional when you talk about contracts, they're looking to sign people say, you know, three year deal, three year deal, million dollars a year. Well that's starting to change now. What we're starting to see is that the very best players, the elite players, the halfbacks to be specific, agents now asking for a percentage of the salary cap, which is very interesting. So to let people know, you know how much we're going to sign for, you know, well, hit this player player A. He wants ten percent of the salary cap. So at the moment, the sellar cat's twelve point one million, that means he gets basically one point million dollars a year. Next year the salary caps up sixteen millions, one point six and so on, and the one that's really come to evidence and I'm not saying this in any way shape or breaking news, has been spoken about quite a lot a lot. Tommy did he's percent a sellar cap with the Cowboys. If the salary cap goes to twenty million, for instance, he be on two point four and so on and so forth. It's very interesting. I'll ask you this question, well.
Speaker 2: The other the alternative and what used to happen in a broadcast cycle where the sealer cap goes up. You might be on X and the broadcast your salary cap goes up by ten percent. Your X plus ten percent is a threshold or a lever that they put in contract.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's it's been around for a while.
Speaker 2: It's just a different way saying twelve percent of the overall salary cap versus a twelve percent increase on your current deat.
Speaker 1: And it's very interesting to explain it like that as far as salary cap, because it almost you start to okay, right, he really had a real feeling of how much a player is worth. Didn't's twelve percent? Okay? What is Sam Walker for this? For this rooster side?
Speaker 2: You know he's Sam, But salary caps are different because of different players.
Speaker 1: And already in the side things like that, because.
Speaker 2: The good clubs and like to be fair. Nathan clearly could walk into Penrith and say give me this now.
Speaker 1: Okay, well let me let me pose that to you. Right if didn't's on twelve percent Coops and Nathan's coming off contract and they're a situation Penrith, they say, look, Nathan, at the end of the day, mate, we can't give him more than thirteen percent. What could he get if he went to right, what do you think.
Speaker 3: It could get?
Speaker 2: Basically whatever he wants, Like if he came available to Perth or the p andng like, he's getting whatever he wants.
Speaker 1: Would you put would you push towards?
Speaker 2: But this is the point, Matthew, Like, you can go anywhere and get maximum value. If that's your drive, then the game is set up for you to be able to achieve that. But if your driver is to be great and create a legacy at the club, you're not going to get as much as what your market. I get that, So I think Nathan is probably doing it the right way compared to some of the other alternative ways.
Speaker 1: Of it being it'd just it'd be very interesting to see how far a club would push if you if you did, if Nathan was the sort of personality. So that right, let's get auction right twenty percent? Who would buy it? Who would take it? Because someone to take him at twenty And I'll tell you why, coop, Because what they'll say is it's going to be worth it, because he's going to get guys alongside him the worth six hundred, but he'll get on playing like nine hundred thousand dollars players.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: We have seen world Sport do things like that, like Beckham when to La Galaxy right for a sort of cheaper compared to what he was.
Speaker 3: On at Real Madrid or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: Roaldo correct, correct.
Speaker 2: And I feel like Nathan is, how can I say this a more subtle approach, Let's get this done and if it doesn't work out, let's respectfully go and have a conversation as opposed to shop front window give me eighteen percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's just an interesting thing what we're seeing at the moment. Yeah, it's just.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that happens at the top and then the domino effect of everything else comes in. So once you start chewing up a big party, a cap for twelve thirteen percent. Then that affects the other decision makers. Now, if you're Nathan, you can actually get return on investment because you'll improve the four hundred thousand dollars player to six hundred purely because of him. Now, part of a ten year deal probably should be a little clause on there. Do you improve the players around you or are you just a great individal your playoffs?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's what's expected in a ten you do, and.
Speaker 1: That's what separates great players from there, from the from the icons. The icons make everyone around the better players these I thought their performance on the weekend and I watch I watched the Titans being part of it with a more critical eye. And there's been times this year that with the Titans performance and you'd asked to coach Josh Hana disappointed in the effort. Bastually, I was watching the Titans on the weekend and I thought aspects of the game were good. That which shows you how good the Warriors were. The Warriors returning to that power based football, winning the spirit of the play the ball, getting more sixter gains, getting way Egan had a dummy half, you know, Chanel and Tomorrow Martin having you know, they had so much time to play. I thought I never knew. I never knew Tomorrow was that good a ball player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you won't like to hear this, but I felt it.
Speaker 2: I fell into the trap of loving what the Titans did against the Dragons and thought, you know what, at home, they are a sneaky chance. No, the Warriors are so consistent, so good at the hardest parts of the game. They've got a great players, great culture to Marty Martin good, But I feel like the best part of the Warriors game is the one two punch of Aaron Clark and Fisher Harris. I think they are playing like Fisher Harriws swapped, didn't swap, but got exchange for Adam Fania Blake, and most people at that time thought, well, Adam Vanila Blake probably has a bigger impact on the contest. I think we're starting to see why Andrew Webster got Fisher Harris. Yes, he's a great performer on the field, but he is driving this team to September and they are They are thereabouts. I had a little bit of a dip at different stages, but their consistency and savage line speed defensively to Martin, Martin Good, the only question mark I have around the Warriors is there centers Pompy and layer Tower defensively Can they stop a Penrith machine or Sam Walker or.
Speaker 3: Tedesco on their day that that that for me will be the key. But that they are, they are, They're good.
Speaker 1: Wade Egan was good off.
Speaker 3: The back of Aeron Clark and Fish hours.
Speaker 1: Doing his punching through. Mate. There was a couple of bits. It was I think with about twelve thirty minutes ago for a half time he did a little play dummy, then went up and just a little hangball. It was just pure class. And even the one we was tomorrow did that beautiful short pass near the line. It was just as good as short pass you see anyone throw. But if you look at what created that space, it was why doing his typical thing, get out, look short and just roll the wrists over.
Speaker 2: And if I give, like Victor Radlin a far who wired a chance of taking down Penrith, I definitely give Aeron Clark and Fish horis the same thing. There is not many chinks in Penrith, but it is maybe their physicality truly through the middle. If there is a big bop on the other side, and that blazes to lungy left edge defensively. That's the only two chings I can really find him.
Speaker 1: It was interesting yesterday watching the Sharks play Coup was how animated in the box.
Speaker 2: Was very reserved, very sort of subtle guy, but definitely banging on the glass more than ever before.
Speaker 1: One of two things. One is I think yesterday was the game that in the last couple of years they would have lost. Yep, would have dropped, but I'll see you. The other one, I think that he has no problem with the camera's been on him. I think he is. I think he's sending a message by his reaction players to his players.
Speaker 2: So there was a piece of his press conference where people are saying, oh, are you in a better position than ever before to win the comp and he's saying things like, oh, the outside think that, but my feeling for this team has not changed. And knowing Fitsy, it's exactly that he's.
Speaker 3: Not talking to the paper.
Speaker 2: He's talking to his players, saying, hey, we're playing well, but I've always believed in you. Because if they get to another really final and that's it, Well, if you just keep doing the same thing, you're going to.
Speaker 3: Get the same outcome, right yep.
Speaker 2: I feel like he is pumping up his team, making sure they're dialed intoing all the little things because I think he believes that they actually can go past the prelium final. But it is a big, big opportunity if they don't or do, because if they don't, he's as to make some changes, and if they do, he's found the right recipe.
Speaker 1: It's interesting with Fitzi. My coaches have to have a certain amount of discipline to be the person they have to be to get their side to win a competition or perform. He has some coaches who are pricks, or most coaches are pricks, and but what they do is they have to have the discipline to be have that bit of bedside manner to get the best of their players. In my opinion, Fitzy, it's the opposite. Fitzi is such a great guy that almost he's got to have the discipline to not be his natural self, you know what I mean. At his run into the finals, Nihi is interesting, Coop. You know, we look at Nicolay, he's playing better football now than he won the Delian medal in my opinion, him and Tricky and Blake Braley, that combination just working beautifully. Will Kennedy too, But Niko always with Nico, you know Niko very well. He's a guy, you know that the confidence doesn't come natural as natural as other guys. But I think symbolic that he's on top of his game as if actually thirty two from thirty two of his goalkicking, I think that's.
Speaker 2: And the guys, Yes, they spoke to him after it and they said, is it in the back of your mind? And this is a little bit of the mind shift of Nico Hines. He goes, well, normally I'd try and avoid it, I try and not talk about it, but you know what, stuff, it's there and I'm going after it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That is symbolic for him about playing generally, like yes there's milestone there. Yes there's a sense of accomplishment. But normally he would go, oh, I don't know if I can do it. Maybe hopefully it works, please please, whereas now he's going, you know.
Speaker 3: It's stuff, it going, I'm kicking good. Where were the balls on the field? Is try a score?
Speaker 2: I'm going after it is a bit of a shift in Nico's mind and it's making him play the best he's ever played.
Speaker 1: The Knights went over the Broncos. The story coming out to most people with the Broncos the Broncos, he's further evidence that they're going. They're officially out. I mean they've been out the last month. I think the story with having a Navocastrian bias, I think it was the Titans Knights.
Speaker 3: Because the Knights and now the Finals, you jump back on board.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so if you look at the Knights versus the Broncos, I just thought I described it like this. I thought the Knights had a sharp threat and I thought that the Broncos had a soft threat. Now let me explain to this. And when I say soft threat, I'm not talking cowardice or anything like that. I'm talking the fact that what's the way the Knights attacked. Everything that the Knights did not fletcher sharp, No, I mean sharp, decisive. Everything they did cook, The way they moved the ball around, every sequence, every play had a direct purpose if you know what I mean. They've worked it somewhere and you knew what they were doing. The fact that was very deliberate what they're doing, given the fact there be someone looking to run that nice straight line and everything was beautifully synchronized. Watching what I mean the soft threat from the Broncos. The soft threat is using talent and just moving the ball around the field hoping to find something. If that makes sense, Yeah, I thought that was a difference between the two sides could.
Speaker 2: Well explained completely understand it. I took one thing out of the Knight's performance on the weekend is Caylen Ponger is a real deal. He's been a great player for a while and he's won a dally Am and everything, but he truly has the Knights hopes dreams in the palm of his hand, not just through his performance but his leadership. He's actually now understanding his influence in the game. And if you go and watch every try that is scored by the Newcastle Knights on the weekend, watch Kaylen in the background, he's yahooing and clapping the guys that actually created the momentum and the opportunity. Feel like when he gets in those positions, he's as deadly as anyone.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to talk. I want to talk about the Dolphins there, but the Dolphins actually, as I said, I'm back on the Dolphins. I thought the weekend people going, oh you know, that wasn't a greater performance against the Dragons made it. The Dragons are starting to play some very decent football. I don't worry too much into that. We'll talk about that next week. More. We've got to think about the dally Ams. We will talk about next week. We've run out of time. There's so much to talk about, so much to talk about, so little time. Anyway, you guys just once enjoy the replay three six. Do you have a good mind