Speaker 1: Hi, Welcome back to Bounce Forward with me, Tip Haul. I'd like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land in which I'm recording this podcast. There were andre people of the Cooler Nation. I pay my respects for elders past and present. Welcome to part two of my chat. We're going to pick up right where we left off. Did you celebrate with anything naughty after like you you won? Like did you were you craving something in particular?
Speaker 2: Like after?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I really wanted pizza and beer. But that was my main thing. And you know, it's often that thing when you can't have something you want. It's like, you know, or going to the supermarket when you're hungry, and then you just buy all this stuff that then you don't really want it anyway when you've had something good. So, yeah, I wanted pizza and beer. And I had friends that were living in Sydney, and I had a whole lot of friends that had come to watch. And so after the fight, I went and I did Roy and HD the Dream Yes, which was hilarious. They were fantastic, And then they were like, oh, we couldn't find a good pizza place open, so we went to the supermarket and we got you pizza ingredients and they had pizza. They made it for me, and I actually couldn't really eat much of it. So after all that wanting it, and I had a piece of pizza, I didn't really have. I had a little bit of champagne, I think, but I had so many bruises, Like I was really really injured afterwards, and I didn't want all the you know, alcohol really helped, like the makes the bruising come out. So yeah, I had a really bad hit to the groin that was just so bad, like really really really bad and actually it was your dad. I went back to the village and this is a bit too graphic. You might want to cut it out, but tell me the sportsmantheson doctor said we're going to have to drain it. This is like because it was like a hematoma that had come up from this kick. And so Martin and said, yeah, you can't go out like you just you have to do what the doctor said, you know they want to. And I was like, give me one night, give me one night where I'm not gonna like you can't. I just want a freaking Olympic gold medal. You can't put a needle, you know, in my vagina, And so I said, and so then I had all this arnica. So I had like anaab like I'm just like anything helped them bruising, and so it went down overnight and they said, no, you don't have to drain it, and I was, thank goodness.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Lauren, You've had so many injuries over your time, like And one of the questions I get asked the most is about from like members who are fit, you know, they get setbacks, They get setbacks with injuries and how do they overcome that? And you know myself from taekwondos wrists, knees, Oh my god, yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, it's you know, the knees.
Speaker 1: It's like you do taekwondo if you haven't done your A C L Like I don't know. So how how do you bounce back from having injuries?
Speaker 2: How do you overcome those setbacks in life? Lauren? Like you found you leading up even to the games, didn't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've had a lot, but I think I've had about twelve operations since the games, patching everything up. I don't know how many leading into the games, but I think even now this is something that I just you know, hold true always is you just show up and you do the work. So, you know, that was sort of drilled into me as an athlete, like if you can't you know, when you can't go, you can't kick, so you go to training and you just sit on the bike and you do what you can and you can't, you know, so then you're involved. You're not removing yourself away from the situation. I've had a really bad shoulder well, I had a shoulder reco and all sorts of things shoulder injury that does play up occasionally and if I do something now even it'll flare up. So I still go to the gym, I do the you know, recovery. I don't love doing the band, but I'm on the bands and I just turn up and I do the work and it just builds up slowly. And you know, even today I was at the gym and I was doing the you probably know what it's called, but you know when you hang and you do the rings and you pull yourseld oh yes, y rings. You know two a year ago, there's no way I could have done that. But here I was today doing the rings, and you know it depends like and so it's just like, show up, do the work, do what you can, even if it's you know, you go for a walk, or you can always modify and do something. And you know, I'm not talking about where you push yourself too hard or you do things that you shouldn't, or sometimes you need a rest. But I never really let an injury hold me back. And what I found early on is I had to I had both needes operated on at the same time, and that was probably the time the only time that I really thought about quitting. I just thought, you know, I don't have to do this. Why am I doing it? I'm not getting paid for it. I'm not like, I don't have to do this sport. So then I decided, well, if it was asking myself that question, if you want to quit, just don't do it. You know, there's lots of other things you can do in your life. But I had this really strong feeling I didn't want to quit. I loved it so much. I wanted to keep going. So I thought, well, if that's what you want, then don't complain about it. Just do what you need to do. So I got together with my strength coach Tony Hewitt, and we just rebuilt and I went to he was going to the gym every day like different, to the high performance center, and I then became stronger than I was beforehand. So it's that whole thing of you know, like that injury allowed me then to take time off the volume of training because you know, as you know, the Taekwondos classes are so aerobic, they're so physical, and so to just go I'm just going to focus on strength training and waits and I rebuilt my body in a way that I never would have had the time to do that and the load would have been too much. So I often reflect on that time about how, you know, every injury kind of allowed me an opportunity to get stronger in a different way and so and actually that was interesting with your dad as well. So afterwards I went to the club first, So the nationals were happening, and it was selection for the World Championships, and it meant that I couldn't compete, and I was so upset, like I was devastated. So the first one I'd ever missed out on selections and I was really really upset about that, and really it's probably the worst I've ever felt actually, and so I started back at the club to just move around on the mat. It was time to sort of you know, built a lot of strength, and so I'm moving around and he's like, just do some footwork, you know, do some you know, upper body anyway. So then I just throw a little kick. I'm like, oh, I can actually do I can do a kick, one kick with one leg, round house kick. I could do that, right. And I was like, I said, you know, Martin, I reckon, I can fight. I can only do one kick. And he's like, no way, You're not fighting, Like no, and I'm like, okay, give me, give me a week, you know. And so every day I came in and I did a little bit more and he was like, okay, I'll see if I can get you a late application. So we put in this application. So when I fought at the National, I could still only do one kick an ass and that's all I did. So every fight that I had, I did that one kick and I loved it because it kind of it highlighted what I've always known from the Koreans is that there's such a beauty in the simple techniques, you know, doing a kick that is so well executed is often unbeatable, you know. And I felt that before when I'd been at the in Korea training with some of these young kids. And you know, I remember training with this one boy. It was at a high school and he just had this back lag roundhouse kick that was so beautiful, and even though I knew what he was going to do, I could see him coming. I had all these different things that I tried to do to get even just move out of the way, and he scored on me every time. And you know, there's such beauty in that, you know, doing something that's just so incredibly elegant. And so that's what I felt when I was going through there, you know, this competition, and I even had someone say to me, you should write to your opponents and say, oh, I'm just going to do this one kick. Really it's all I had. But I won that nationals and made that national team, so that it made me really think about that. Yeah, the simplicity and beauty of doing the simple thing.
Speaker 1: Like Bruce Lee says, fear not the man that practiced ten thousand different kicks once. Fear the man that practices the one kick ten thousand times.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're not just Lauren Burns, your doctor, Lauren Burns. You are. You went on to do your PhD that focused on athlete lifestyle and mindset. Can you talk to me about your PhD and what you studied and all of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, I mean it started out as something different. The research Jenny is always a bit turbulent, so I guess Sport prepared me for that. But yeah, basically I did my PhD was in athlete lifestyle and mindset. And the first study we did, I interviewed ten World Olympic and Paralympic champion athletes, so really amazing athletes like Kathy Freeman, Ian Thorpe, Layne Beachley, Kerry Potthast, Paralympians Don Elgin, Tim Matthews, and so it was really fascinating because I was trying to get an idea about, you know, lifestyle. But really what came out of it was psychological skills and attributes are key, so you know, mindset is just so important. And some of the elements that came out about that are things like realistic optimism, being a knowledge seeker, having a really clear sense of self regulation, self confidence, and dominance, mental toughness, having a strong work ethic. So those elements were all really really key across all athletes and all different sports, and I purposely sampled them so i'd had athletes from small sports, you know, as in like individual sports, small teams, big teams, combat sports, you know, so I kind of wanted a really interesting cross section and athletes who, yeah, they had to have won a gold, Olympic gold medal, World championship medal, Paralympic gold or world cham Paralympic, world championship medal. So but then also what came out of it that I probably didn't expect is the importance of interpersonal relationships and connection. So that theme really sort of came out of the data, and I then delved really deeply into that work and wrote a piece for the British Journal of Sports Medicine about strengthening into personal relationships in sports. So that's kind of where I've really been focused a lot of my attention these days. I had some work commissioned by the Australian Institute of Sport and we did gold medal winning athletes and gold medal winning coaches to sort of look at characteristics of gold medal winning teams. Yeah, so it's been really interesting.
Speaker 1: So is that like about the people you surround yourself with. And because like I've been thinking about Ned Brockman and how he's accomplished amazing feats and mental toughness and all of that. I'd love your take on something like Ned Brockman, like how.
Speaker 2: Has he done that?
Speaker 1: Like what would you say with his support network? And you know it plays a big part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I don't know a lot about him per personally, but I mean I know what he's done, but you know, it was very It's really about who's on your team and that that's not prescriptive. So you know, for some people it's their parents. Some people don't want their parents anywhere near them.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: And so like Jackie Cooper, for example, would say, like I didn't want my mom near me when I was competing because you know, she's an aerial scheer, so you know, she'd always worry that I was going to crash, So you know, she didn't want her mom there, whereas other athletes were like I just had you know, I needed my mom and dad there or my parents you know, you know, would bring me meals or their support was so important. Some people it was a coach, some people it was a friend, some people it was a sibling, And so it's about creating that connection. And when I sort of delved into the research, there's a lot around how quality relationships attenuate our stress response, and you know, I really felt so, you know, when I did more work with AIS around this characteristics of gold medal winning teams, there's a lot around you know, trust and yeah, like that emotional management, and there was some work that I was looking at around just being near someone that you have a quality relationship that actually attenuates our cortisol levels and helps us to you know, to have like it's like our self red and our ability to cope with stress. So you know, that's something like you know when for me standing you know, at the court side about to go into an Olympic final or whatever, and if you've got someone next to you who's you know, you feel comfortable with, you're going to be able to self regulate a lot more than if you're more fraught. And so yeah, or just knowing, you know, knowing where people are in the stands that you've got you know, you've got that support. So yeah, it's so it's incredibly powerful. And then you know, now we know so much more about loneliness and how it's like a social determinant of health and there's just so many elements around relationships and connection.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is so interesting, so interesting.
Speaker 1: So your mum as well, and I really want to instill good habits in my children and keep them active and interested in sports. Do you have any tips for you know, moms out there to you know, keep your kids motivated, I don't know, get them active?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, you do this so well to if I've seen all of your things, you know, exercising in your land room with little kids around you and everything. You know, I think firstly, you know, we play the long game, and you know that's what I mean. I'm always talking with you know, my clients I work with about life plans and looking at the big picture twenty and it kind of puts everything in perspective. So part of it is, you know, one of the things we saw with the athlete research is when I was looking into all of that is unstructured play and early diversification is so important. So you know, it's not always you know, keeping them in this one sport that you've chosen but you know, giving them options, helping them to play, move their bodies, you know, and kind of that. It's like lifelong learning and lifelong movement and then also modeling it so you know, they they see that. So, you know, I've had my like my son is sixteen and fifteen, and he's been at the gym with me and I just it's so awesome. And you know, he would come along. We've been training together for a few years. He's now just moved on where, but at least he came with me and we've you know, I've got a great coach that I work with now, and it was about you know, so firstly he used to come along and what you know, and he just sit around. Well, I did my session, and then it started playing around on some equipment and then you know, my coach took a real interest in him and he created a plan for him that was around you know, like his basketball and putting on a weightfest and jumping and elastics and you know, so it was creative and it was specific, but it also then again built this trust and allowed him to learn how to use weights and his body more so then you know, and when you've got like my coaches quite buff. So you know, when you've got a big, strong guy going okay, let's lower that weight so that you can get better biceps or whatever, is you know better than your mum saying that's too y.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the problem I have when I try and train my kids. They just don't.
Speaker 3: But now he's got this, He's got some really good foundations. I know he's got He goes to the gym with a friend and you know, I trust that he knows how to lift better. So I think, yeah, there's a couple of things. One is that unstructured play, early diversification, get them trying different things. Obviously keeping them in the sport that they're in as much as you can. You know, like when they don't want to go to class, you know, just okay, let's go along, or let's just try for the first bit and then you know, once they get there, they're happy and they go along. So and yeah, really sort of modeling, I think, you know, healthy habits and doing and doing hard things, and doing things when you don't want to do them. So often I'll say that like I really can't be stuff going to the gym, or I don't want to go and I go, and I just showing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's really showing up.
Speaker 3: Do what you can.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I try and teach my son, Arnold that he's seven and he does taekwondo at Hall's. But oh, I doesn't want to go after school. He's tired, and he doesn't want to go. He just wants to, you know, watch TV or do something. I say, no, we're going out, put on my dough box and we go and I, you know, I assist in the class with him, and he just loves it.
Speaker 2: So once you get there, it's okay.
Speaker 3: Once you get there, yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But despite your move, you have to keep moving. Lauren, thank you so much for owning me today. I all loved seeing you and catching up like it's I.
Speaker 3: Feel like we've barely touched the surface. I mean, I remember you. I just have to say I remember when, you know, because I was with Martin for so long and one of the things, like I talk about this relationships and you know, trust and you know, one of the things about your dad is that he I always felt like he had my best interest at heart. So no matter how hard he pushed me or what he challenged me to try, and you know, stretch myself and you know, develop and grow my mindset that he wanted the best for me. But then, you know, you were so you and Bridget were so young sometimes and you know, your mom would be picking you up and taking it at different things. And I just sort of think of it in a different way because he would drop anything for any of his athletes, you know, like you know, I'd bring him and say, can you meet me at five am at the club for you know, I just want to work on this one kick or something. Yea, yeah, sure of course. He loved all that stuff. And after he had a young family and you know he has.
Speaker 1: Balance was as well. Like I know, he was always so dedicated to his fighters. But you know, we were there, we were at the club. We were we were exposed to elite athletes and Olympians and you know, like we got to witness that elite level of sport and it was so good for me the role modeling, to see you training, and like I grew up in it, like women weren't really doing the sport when I was, like when I was really young, like mum was one of the first women to earn a black belt in Australia, Like it was just it was just awesome to see you on the mats, Like I can't tell you.
Speaker 2: It's just shaped so much of what I've.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean it from your family.
Speaker 1: I just yeah, I just I love taekwondo and it's just been so good to talk to you and like be able to chat about it, because yeah, I bring taekwondo with me wherever I go, but not everyone gets.
Speaker 2: It, gets the view of.
Speaker 1: The mindset and the body connection, which I think is so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, martial arts is I think so important and it translates to so many different areas of life. And you know, I think it really depends on their instructor, but it doesn't depend on the martial arts. So you know, whether it's judo or karate or whatever it is, if you've got a good instructor, and then the the discipline of martial arts is just you know, it's really powerful.
Speaker 1: It's so powerful for your studies and everything you do. It's just it's helped me in life, and you know, I just love it. So if you're out there and you're interested in secial arts, go do some taekwondo.
Speaker 2: Yes, martial arts. It's so Thank you so.
Speaker 3: Much, Lauren, awesome, Thanks TIV.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for listening to Bounce Forward.
Speaker 1: I love having your company, So please DM me on Instagram at tip Haul, Underscore Exo and let me know what topics you'd love me to cover. Don't forget to rate and review me on your podcast app, Speak soon, Happy days,