Speaker 1: I really.
Speaker 2: It is so time for ah let's go girl, I need chick chat too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, welcome back, ladies. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Got Abby from the newsroom.
Speaker 5: We've got producers Zoe and the question I'm going to post to you both this morning. And let's be honest, we at different phases in our life.
Speaker 4: I am a touch older than you.
Speaker 5: Both just to touch dum and I have four children and I have one and a half jobs, and so that's where I'm at. Zoe, you're in your twenty five, just turned twenty five, recently coupled in a new relationship yeap, and working here.
Speaker 3: And I'm thirty three and single as a pring girl.
Speaker 4: Oh this is speed dating right now.
Speaker 2: I do have two sausage jogs, though, which could be classed as children.
Speaker 3: I'm a single mother essentially.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and from someone who's such a giant outsider in this, that's why this works for me.
Speaker 3: I got three very very yes.
Speaker 5: So I want to pose the question to you both this morning. I've have very very very firm views on it.
Speaker 4: Can women have it all?
Speaker 5: I'll start being absolutely categorically no, I don't know. You've got one job and that's to prove press the button that you.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 5: I just think it's the biggest load of bs that we've been sold that we can be boss bitches as you like to say, Zoe, in the workplace, we can dominate here, we can go as high as we want in our career, and yet also we can have the perfect home life.
Speaker 4: What a load of crap.
Speaker 5: And I, in my experience, have found over the journey, at one point, one of them is going to give, one of them is going to suffer. You cannot dominate at work and then you cannot dominate at home and live like this parallel universe where everything's perfect.
Speaker 4: It's just it's a fallacy.
Speaker 3: Are you dominate at home and then bringing poor performances or Battle of the Bangers? So no from you, Jody, and you're the one with the most life experience.
Speaker 5: Well, I just feel like we were sold this fantasy when we were allowed to go into the workplaces, like women can do what you want, you can be independent, you can go to work. However, you're still going to do all the stuff at home, like no one else.
Speaker 4: Is going to do that for you.
Speaker 5: You might have a really you know, committed partner who chips in, but let's be on a statistics shows that women do most of the heavy domestic lifting.
Speaker 4: Still yes, so.
Speaker 5: Oh no, actually certainly not in my house.
Speaker 7: It greg's wonderful. How do you think, Yeah, I think it's a tough one. I was saying to you guys before that. Growing up, I think, particularly my generation, it was very much like, let's go be a boss woman. You want to have the best career and be killing it and everyone wants to envy you, and blah blah, that's kind of what you're aspiring for. So at twenty, yeah, I've got a partner for the first time in a long time, but I haven't even thought about a family. I don't want to have kids because I don't think I can have it all if I have got kids. So I think you can't have it all either, unfortunately. But also in this new landscape of whatever the world looks like now, I think having it all has got to be redefined anyway, Like what is having it all? You know? Like, is having it all having the perfect job and family and husband and all of it, or is having it all just killing your career or just having the family side or whatever it is. I don't think it's possible to have.
Speaker 5: Both yeah, and that expression you're a superwoman because you can do all that. Yeah, please give it a rest.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know any women who have fully got it together and are fully thriving.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and maybe the problem is that shouldn't be the expectation anyway, exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I which, weirdly I'm going to admit on this topic am kind of an optimist, which I'm not in other parts.
Speaker 3: I know people will be shocked with that.
Speaker 2: I would like to think, yes, you can have it all, but I think there's got to be things in place, like you've got to have a partner who steps up. You've got to have it that they say, you know, raising kids, it takes a village. So I think for me, yes, I would love to still have a career and then you know, down the track, meet someone and have babies and things like that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's a catch twenty two.
Speaker 2: I've also recently, instead of being we talk about you.
Speaker 3: Know, i'll be happy when I'll be happy when.
Speaker 2: I speak a lot about being content, So changing that perspective of oh, I'll be happy when I'm in my career, I've got kids, I'm married, whereas being more content.
Speaker 3: Maybe is better for us.
Speaker 4: Can I pull you up on something though?
Speaker 3: Of course, who's got a village? Well, that's it.
Speaker 5: We're all paddling madly underwater, trying to keep our heads up. I don't have time to help my friends out. Yeah, you know, I don't have time to help my neighbor out.
Speaker 4: There is no village.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're all just doing it for ourselves at the moment, and we're all just trying to bloody survive.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you were.
Speaker 5: Optimistic for the first time in your life, for the very first time.
Speaker 3: The visitor I killed my dream, Jodie. That's a good point of being a village.
Speaker 7: It's hard work. Being members of other people's villages is not actually easy. That's also time consuming and hard. But yeah, I think, yeah, that's where the redefinition comes from. Like for me, I will be a village member for most of the people in my life because I probably won't have kids of my own. I can help pick up some of the slack to help other people have it all. But then technically, under the real definition of it, I'm not having it all, you know, So it's got to change. The definition's got to shift.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, you're a wise little chicken. Aren't you what I love about you? Very very thoughtful?
Speaker 5: Thirteen twenty four to ten.
Speaker 4: Can we have it all?
Speaker 5: If you're a woman who's sitting there going, well, what are they talking about?
Speaker 3: I've got it all?
Speaker 5: I'd love to hear that, but I want to hear from you. You could completely and utterly disagree with me, Tana, if.
Speaker 1: You like, no, I'm not going to actually and I am not a spring chicken either, so I but I agree with Zoe. I think, honestly, how we define what it means to you have it all and be fixed and do all those things needs to be re evaluated and looked at, because sometimes for me, it's just getting out of bed, or it's just getting through the day, or it's just you know, finishing one small, tiny task. And this idea and expectation that women have to give one hundred and fifty percent to everything all the time is completely outrageous, Like that is not sustainable, it is not achievable. But that's the expectation that's been set up for us by dare I say it's the patriarch.
Speaker 8: Let's just put it out there.
Speaker 1: Gender expectations, gender roles, hundreds of years of history have told us that yes, we can have all those things, but it comes at a price, and you know what, like you said, it's the drowning price. And you do you feel like you're on your own, and you know, you look at all the women around you and they're so strong and they're brave and they're beautiful, and you're like, why can't I do it like them? But you know what, they're doing it like you?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, No one really talks about it, do they Tana?
Speaker 4: By the way, they don't.
Speaker 8: And this is such a good chat.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I'm going to cry and it's on the Really, that was.
Speaker 5: So articulate and well spoken and exactly how I feel about the whole situation. So thank you so much for giving us a call just so you know the patriarchy that's boys.
Speaker 3: That you.
Speaker 4: See what we have to do with. Thank you.
Speaker 5: That's unbelievably well spoken, unbelievably And I think she's said.
Speaker 4: One Jade, good morning.
Speaker 8: Good morning.
Speaker 3: Can we have it all?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: Yeah, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 8: No? I think I think social media right, Yes, woman's wise because it's this like it betrays this completely false narrative. You see all these women out there who are killing it and so successful and so happy in their relationships. Everything's perfect, And like the other lady just said, like you think, oh, why can't I be like that? But I know nobody's actually like that. It's just when you're comparing ourselves to things that aren't even through and it's not achievable at all. Like I said, I have three kids. I work four days a week, which isn't much. I'm sort of old school though, I'm like, I don't want my partners to have to do lots around the house. He works seven days a week, so then I'm trying to juggle all these things and trying to make all these people happy and making myself extremely frustrated and unhappy in the process. It's just I think we just need to chill out.
Speaker 4: Jane.
Speaker 5: I agree with you, and please don't ever say working four days a week with three kids is not much. It's that's the hell of a lot, and it's a lot on your plate. So you're doing really well. But on that social media front, hazy. I see these women who I know for an actual fact a miserable, miserable, and they're overworked in this stressed and yet I click on their social media and I go, oh my god.
Speaker 7: That's the pressure, isn't it. We're chasing an impossible Stce.
Speaker 5: What are you trying to say here that your life is perfection?
Speaker 4: And you know, yeah, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Anyway, Chloe Eve of morning, good morning.
Speaker 4: Can we have it all?
Speaker 6: I think that's going to depend on how selfish you are. If you're very selfish, then yes you can and you just take, take, take, and don't give. But then you come across as a terrible person if you don't give back. So really, it's going to depend on how you want to be viewed by people, if you want to be viewed as somebody who is very selfish or somebody that is not. So really, it's going to be in the eye of perception of other people what you want them to see.
Speaker 7: I think I agree, you can have more if you're willing to just take from the world and do what's best solely for you. But like we had this hit chat on the phone to us and I said, you want to give back. Life's about giving two.
Speaker 5: So well, that depends on what you want your legacy to be, right, Yeah, how do you want to be remembered Some more pressure.
Speaker 8: What do you want.
Speaker 4: Footprint to be?
Speaker 5: Do you want to be someone who, okay, killing it at work, allegedly killing it at home, but then people walk out of a room and go, oh, she's not a very nice person.
Speaker 4: Tricky one.