Speaker 1: This podcast is being recorded and produced on gadical Land.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this country and elders past present.
Speaker 1: We extend our respect to any First Nations Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people joining us.
Speaker 2: Today, always was, always will be Aboriginal Land. Welcome to close friends. Everyone gather around and gather round. Look, this one isn't really a rant, but I do want to bring something up. Yeah, I have got a new like little petty grute with the Internet that I wonder if you've ever picked up on or whether you've ever noticed so, someone I know recently just announced a pregnancy. They are pregnant. Congratulations to them. And you know what, I fucking can't stand when someone announces their pregnancy and they're like bub coming due February twenty whenever the fuck whatever they say beautiful, nothing against the pregnancy announcement, absolutely gorgeous. You know what pisses me the fuck off the bitches in the comments going, oh, so glad it's finally all out, Like so glad we can finally talk about this. Oh my god, babe, like so happy that you finally told everyone, Like we get out you knew, you knew six weeks ago. We get at babes like they go, oh my god, girl, finally it's been so hard to keep this secret. I mean, this is not about you.
Speaker 1: To add to that, to add to this rant, because I'm with you on that one. But also when someone does a gender reveal video, okay, and it's like long. Let's say the video is forty seconds long, and in the last ten seconds is when you find out if it's pink balloons or blue balloons, and someone in the comments comments congratulations on your girl with all pink hearts, and they fucking spoil it for anyone else watching, Like just write congratulations, don't spoil it in the comments. What the baby's gender is?
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure. Yeah, so with you on that as well, Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, I spoil it, Like, let me wait until the fucking massive cannons go off in the air that cost the price of a car. I want to see the reveal. I don't want to see you know how on Instagram you can see like the first two comments or whatever. If it's all blue hearts, I'm like, well, I'm not fucking watching it now, am I?
Speaker 2: Oh? Seriously, how funny moving on Did you say sixteen year olds are getting banned from social media in Australia? Did you? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So I'll tell what I have to say about this.
Speaker 2: Here we go. So wait, give a bit of context.
Speaker 1: Okay, So not forg know, is it the Australian government, Yeah, Anthony Anthony Albanesi has said that if you're sixteen or under, you're not allowed to use social media or under sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it comes into effect next year. And I don't know whether if you've already got social media and you're twelve, you can continue using it or whether you just they just a blanket ban. I've got no idea how they're going to police this either.
Speaker 1: And you know what my first thought is they are still going to use it. Oh for sure, they're gonna use it. That is how teenagers communicate through fucking Snapchat and whatever else. This is not gonna be successful.
Speaker 2: I'm also that girl, get your elbow, get your priorities right. Why is this the biggest problem that apparently we are facing.
Speaker 1: I get it for tax everything else. I get it for bullying reasons, like online bullying is relentless, especially amongst teenagers. So I'm all for it from that angle, But like, do they think that by saying that you can't be on it, they're not going to It'll probably just be like you have to put your birthday in and then you just lie and put your birthday. That's what I used to do when I was playing hab A Hotel. Yeah, when I was on Facebook, I lied about my age. Like kids will one hundred percent just still use it anyway.
Speaker 2: I just don't. Yeah, I don't understand how they're going to police it. I also it actually I think it's more of a parental issue than anything.
Speaker 1: It also makes me wonder as well, does this apply to babies and kids and toddlers that are in parents' content?
Speaker 2: Uh No, I don't think so. I just think they can't have an account.
Speaker 1: Right, But you could still use your twelve year old in your content, Yeah for sure. See that's a gray line, fuzzy line as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes no sense to me, and thankfully I don't think it'll affect us. I don't know if we have anyone under the age of sixteen listening to this podcast. Surely not unless they're in the back of the car. I know sometimes we have some parents in the back. Yeah, kids are in the back.
Speaker 1: I will say though, ever since like we took fate to TikTok and like started making TikTok videos, I have gained like a younger audience on TikTok because now, like the other day, I was at our Paramatt store and there was a bunch of schoolgirls walking past in their school informaly and I'm like, holy shit, like I've got tea fucking watched me again and it took me back to like the YouTube days when our audiences were teenagers. But TikTok has given me a bit of a younger audience again, Okay, but only on TikTok. And they're like, I love your tiktoks when that's like not the main thing that I do.
Speaker 2: Weird, Yeah, I don't think it'll affect me or my audience said, like so true, Like.
Speaker 1: My creators that have a predominantly teenage or kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing. Some of these some of these ones with like millions of followers out there, they've got kid kids as young as like eight years old watching them on TikTok.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to be interested, like all in all this whole thing, Like I'm all for kids not being on social media for bullying, because like, that's fucked up, Like the kids that bully other kids online behind Snapchat, what the fuck is going on there? And what are the parents doing in that scenario. But I just I'm interested to see how this plays out, because I don't see it playing out at all. I can see kids still just using Snapchat and Instagram and everything. Anyway.
Speaker 2: I just think it's a weird step for the government to be like, no, you can't do this, whereas it's like, like I feel like it's more of a parent thing, Like I feel like it's.
Speaker 1: More of a I feel like kids also need to be fucking punished. No, I feel like why what do you mean? Like, I feel like there needs to be more consequences to the actions of bullying on social media, Like I actually feel really fucking passionately about that, the same way I'm not going to ag the other day. We're going off topic here a little bit, Matt. Graffiti, Yeah, okay, graffiti. I hate graffiti.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's the ugliest fucking thing I've ever seen. Yeah, and to all the kids, hopefully it's only kids doing graffiti. If it's adults, grow the fuck up. But to all the people out there that do graffiti, the only other people that think it's cool is other losers that do graffiti. It's a bunch of losers trying to impress one another. It looks it looks shit, it's ugly, and I want to get a hand chopped off.
Speaker 2: I never understand because I just I've never in my life been compelled to draw on something permanently, you know what I mean, Like, I've never in my life gone I want to pick up a permanent market or a spray pan, a spray can of paint and spray it on a wall. Never in my life have I thought only enjoyment.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's fucking sick. Is the other idiots to do it as well? Like you just all try to impress each other and you're all losers. I reckon. There needs to be more consequences for the graffiti. If you graffiti, you get your hand chopped off.
Speaker 2: You reckon. It's extreme.
Speaker 1: Penalize these people.
Speaker 2: I think it's also weird how much dead I have to give them. I have to actually give graffiti artists some credit, some credit here, because when you think about it, no one's going to the lenks that graffiti artists are to share their with the world. Is it because you see it underneath the fucking bridge? How the fuck did you get there to spray paint.
Speaker 1: That top of a bridge as well?
Speaker 2: I used to catch the train down to Sydney from the Central Coast and there was an area with no reception, nothing but trees and tunnels for the trains, the tunnels covering graffiti. I thought, how have you? You can't drive out there. You can't, you'd have to bushwalk. I feel for like kilometers and kilometers to get there to draw a fucking word that I can't even read because you've done it in bubble text on a train tunnel. I just say they've got a lot of work ethic or something to be able to get a lot of.
Speaker 1: Spare time, is what they have.
Speaker 2: Actually, they've probably got now up.
Speaker 1: I think graffiti is fucking so dumb. I hate it, and it makes everything look ugly, like you go through a CBD, like in Newcastle CBD. All the poor fucking businesses that get graffitied every day, then that business has to pay to have it cleaned off, Like it's just disrespectful, like graffiti your own bedroom walls.
Speaker 2: I will say I think, like, obviously, I think the problem is when you are damaging someone else's property. I guess there's not many places you could graffiti that didn't. But I'm saying the people who like graffiti a fucking shop window, Like if someone graffiti the front of Fate, for sure, fuck off. That's just disrespectful. But like you know, out in the bush on the train tunnels, like, I guess that's not really harming anyone. But I'm also like, what's the fucking point. I just don't understand that.
Speaker 1: It's to impress other people that do graffiti that are in a different group.
Speaker 2: Who do you reckon? People are sitting on the train then going past, and they're going, fuck, that's a.
Speaker 1: Nice fucking yes they are, they are No.
Speaker 2: And then you see the ones at like the top of a damn or like just somewhere that you can't even reach. I've gone. You have literally put your life at risk to spray paint this word on a bridge, on a on a building, on a and how did you get up there to do that? I got to give them some credit, but.
Speaker 1: Also creativity, and it's a bit creative. It's a little bit of art, but fuck off you're making this like Newcastle, CEBD is just fucking full of graffiti and it's disgusting.
Speaker 2: Which it must be so bad that like the council can't even be bothered painting over it because it'll just get done again. Like is that the vibe?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I don't know, I just hate it. I hate it. Get your hands chopped off, fair enough? Okay, bring back fucking stuff like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, let's bring back execution. Let's do that. We may as well or just go all the way to the top and sort it out. And like, so more punishments is what you're wanting in the world, Yes, Like, if.
Speaker 1: Someone's fucked up enough, fucking bring back punishments. And like I've seen the whole kids being banned from social media thing. So they can be banned from social media until they're sixteen, but they can go to jail when they're ten.
Speaker 2: Mm.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: Okay, but that's it's a slippery slope pee because I will say in high school, when I was in high school, social media was just coming about, you know, teaching about because what do you call that instead of prevention, you call it something else, like similar to safe sex, Like teach safe sex instead of teach don't have sex because kids are gonna have We'll not kids, but who knows. But anyway, people aren't gonna People are gonna have sex, so we want to teach them to have safe sex, not to not have sex because it's gonna happen. So I'm like, instead of just banning social media, we should be teaching them how to use it. But I will say in their defense, like we were taught I don't know if you were taught in high school, but we were definitely taught about But we had a big scandal at our school, which actually I probably Nova wouldn't let me talk about it on the podcast, but it had to do with the sharing of one's photos. I will say around the school. It was a big.
Speaker 1: Scandal in schools Now, yes, what is going on?
Speaker 2: We had to we had, like our school had to take action on that and teach us about internet safety and bullying online and all the rest of that. So we actually learned a lot. I don't think it stopped any once people were still all so I think I think this might also be a last resort for the government. But also I'm still like, it just doesn't seem right to me. And I'm not like someone who's like, yes, every kid should have social media. I just think wasting our time implementing this band.
Speaker 1: They're still going to go on it anyway.
Speaker 2: I just think it's like a waste of and I haven't seen many people say like, yes, this is a good decision. I'm like, this is what governments do, aren't they. We go, hello, we're starving, we can't afford groceries, we can't afford rent And they go, well, guess what we're gonna do. We're going to ban social media for kids. It's like, thank you back to the rental crisis. Just think it was in poor taste to make such a hulla baloo about the whole thing when I feel there are more issues at the top of the pyramid for our government to reflect on. But anyway, we're not a political podcast. We're a pop culture podcast. So I don't know why we spent close friends talking about all this. Anyway, Should we wrap it up?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Nice? Well, thanks Gay, thanks for listening. Scroll to see you next Tuesday.