Speaker 1: Peter Quedlin Live from year twenty four.
Speaker 2: Good evening, welcome to the program. Here's what's coming up tonight on Kredlin, the war on Seniors, Labour's private health shakeup and the brutal tax hit facing pensioners who just want to keep working a bit longer. And you know what, all of this just puts more pressure on Medicare. In the air, I'll explain that in a moment. Plus a campaign to ditch the loophole that's allowed convicted rapists to keep their identity hidden, As critics worn Victoria's suppression rules must be reformed. Here everyone wants to dodge talk of one Nation and the Coalition working together.
Speaker 3: In the United Kingdom.
Speaker 2: There's a deal on the table between the UK Reform Party and Restore, Plus Tony Abbott's Operation Sovereign Borders British Style. The former PM joins me as Nigel Farage imports his Stop the Boat's plan into the UK and more. On the plunging property market two hundred and thirty billion now wiped off the value of your home and Coalition data that shows tens of thousands of Australians who bought a house with a five percent deposit or they're now teetering on the edge of negative equity.
Speaker 4: This is the result of Labour's.
Speaker 5: Taxes government ministers as you saw. Yes, they don't even seem to understand the concept of negative equity.
Speaker 6: The government had no idea this was going to happen, and then making it up as they go along.
Speaker 2: We will stay with Australia's housing crisis. If you think it's hard to be your first home buyer, try watching the value of your home slide into free fall, because that's what's happening as Australia hit with a once in a generation housing slump as the result of catastrophic tax changes in the recent May budget. So let's get our head across the scale of the problem. Australia's got a population of sub twenty seven million and across the country there's roughly around eleven point five million separate dwellings. So in broad terms, as a reserve bank will tell us, about one third of those dwellings are rented, about one third owned outright, and about one third are being paid off with a mortgage. Now, for most of us, me included, our homes are our biggest asset. Not only are they our roof over our head. But they represent financial security because we know if we had to we could liquidate our home, pay off the mortgage and potentially downsize, or so we thought.
Speaker 3: That's not guaranteed anymore.
Speaker 2: Because that any works if the home is worth more than what we owe. And that's the big headache for the Albanzi government, isn't it? With news today that two hundred and thirty billions being wiped off property values across the board, meaning some of us might have a home that is already in negative equity, a home where what we owe to the bank is more than what.
Speaker 3: We would get if we had to sell it.
Speaker 2: Today, the coalition released modeling that estimates that thirty four thousand Australians could well be in this very predicament. But embarrassingly, Labour's Assistant Minister about Filsalthwait exposed himself as not knowing the difference between negative equity and mortgage repayment defaults.
Speaker 4: Nine percent of people have met their repayments or are head on their mortgages, which means they can't be in negative equity because they're a head of their mortgage.
Speaker 3: It's true, that's not how it works, mate.
Speaker 2: No it's not how it works, sorry, Pat. That is not what negative equity means. Negative equity is when the value of your loan is greater than the value of your asset. In other words, you own more on your home than what you would get if you tried to sell it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Thistle Waiter, Labor front bencher, says on his CV that he's got an economics degree, So the level of ignorance and the government is staggering. Last night on This Network, former Labor Minister Stephen Conroy also tried to ridicule any suggestion that negative equity or falling house values in Australia were a concern.
Speaker 7: My economically illiterate argument about negative equity. Stop stealing from an American housing market. No one is trying to buy a house today and sell it tomorrow. Therefore they've suffered the full absolute drivel.
Speaker 2: Well, good try, Stephen, But prop track data says otherwise. Between March and July this year, and let's not forget the budget tax changes were speculated for weeks and weeks before the May budget, Australian home values fell some two hundred and thirty billion dollars. Further, there are fears that a ten percent decliners, some will predict could wipe more than one trillion from the market.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: What's also worth noting beyond the loss of value in any home you own right now, is increased liability that we all bear as taxpayers because of Labour's five percent home deposit scheme. All of us, every taxpayer or we now carry eleven billion dollars of property liability on the budget books. This scheme, that's more than quintupled since Labour came to power in twenty twenty two, is also controversial due to recent revelations that those accessing this taxpayer help do not even need to be an Australian citizen, and we know that there's some fifty thousand non citizens who've already got onto the scheme, something that Liberal leader Angus Taylor says he would not allow.
Speaker 5: I'm appalled by revelations in recent weeks that nearly fifty thousand non citizens have used Labour's first home by five percent deposit scheme. Labor opened this scheme to permanent residence in twenty twenty three, but such a loan scheme financed by the Australians taxpayer should be reserved for Australian citizens.
Speaker 2: Well spot on angus and as I discussed here in the program last night, incredibly this scheme will now help people get into a home even if they earned a shy of seven hundred thousand dollars, so three quarters of a million dollars per couple.
Speaker 8: This is a classic one where if you are wealthy enough, you have enough income coming through the door, you should not and do not need the assistance to get into your first time because likelihood is you can afford that anyway. And so the government is literally giving money away for no good reason.
Speaker 2: Yes, house prices are cyclical, but periods of rapid price increases tend to be followed by slow, well no increases. Rarely do we see big price hikes and then big price falls or big losses in value. But that's where it appears we are now post Labour's catastrophic May budget. Despite the spin from ministers like this, there's.
Speaker 4: Never been a better time to be a first home buyer, and not in my lifetime has there been a better time to be a first home buyer in Australia. I'm so happy to see more than two hundred and sixty thousand individuals and couples have made use of our five percent.
Speaker 6: Like, this is early days, and this is a reform which will play out not only over months, but over years.
Speaker 9: Over the long term, Treasury is very clear that there will be a sustainable increase in house prices, and the Reserve Bankers said than less than one percent of borrowers actually are facing any sense of negative equity.
Speaker 3: I don't trust them.
Speaker 2: Labor ministers wanting to assure use that house price falls are a good thing, that everything will rebound, well, that's no comfort. One of their own doesn't even know a term as important as negative equity.
Speaker 3: Right before I.
Speaker 2: Move into the news of the day, I just want to highlight just how patriotic so many of you are, because the flag images that have been flooding into my email account from you are assigned that our country is on a very different wavelength than what perhaps our Prime minister would have us believe.
Speaker 3: Now, as you can.
Speaker 2: See across the TV screens right now, we've got backyards, we've got front yards, we've got farm fences, branders, men's sheds, kitchens, lounge rooms, cars, utes, and of course flags right across our great brown land adorned with Australia's national flag, our only national flag.
Speaker 3: Let me make that one clear.
Speaker 2: The Prime Minister, well, he likes to stand in front of three flags, two of them belong to only some of us, and only one of those flags, our national flag.
Speaker 3: Well, that one belongs to all of us.
Speaker 2: Australia has many official flags, were they military flags or flags like the Aboriginal flag?
Speaker 3: Official?
Speaker 2: Yes, But only our national flag is protected with its own Act of Parliament and that's how it should be.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Nothing gives me more hope for our future than to see your response to our flag. And when I read your emails that accompany those pictures, and again they're on the screen right now, and I've read all of the emails. I promise you the reasons as to why you are flying the flag, what it means to you, and in many instances the special event or the family tragedy that prompted you to fly it as proudly as you do, well, that speaks volumes. It speaks volumes about the sort of good people who watch this program, but also to where the real heart and soul of our country years and as we all know too well, that's not in Canberra, is it? And it's certainly not in the Prime Minister's office. I promise you I have flags and flags for weeks to come. Let's go to Camberan Now for the headlines. Our political reporter Ribbon Spargo.
Speaker 10: Good Evening, the acting Prime Minister is playing down fears of a broader housing downturn. The Coalition claims thirty four thousand buyers who accessed Labour's five percent deposit scheme are at risk of falling into negative equity over.
Speaker 6: The time in which people would own a home. You see housing prices grow and they will continue to grow.
Speaker 10: Labour's recent tax changes are seemingly colliding with the three interest rate hikes this year. Independent Senator David Pocock is calling on the Treasurer to fix the budget so called widow tax. People who co own investment property can lose access to negative gearing if their partner dies or they separate.
Speaker 4: Terribly.
Speaker 3: Sorry for your lost please pay up well.
Speaker 4: I think that speaks volumes of exactly what Labour's toxic taxes can do.
Speaker 10: Pauline Hanson says, David Pocock and I don't always agree, but he's dead right on this. He shouldn't have to fight it alone. Australia's biggest betting companies are rejecting allegations of predatory behavior, insisting there is no systemic problem. Former NRL player Luke Bateman alleges gambling company staff offered to organize illicit drugs while cultivating him as a high value customer.
Speaker 11: There's definitely not a systematic issue with the offering of illegal products and there's no culture of that kind of business within the regulators licensed on Show Marketing.
Speaker 10: Labour's proposed gambling reforms are being examined as part of an eight week Senate inquiry.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get into all of that now with our News twenty four Political editor Andrew Cleanell Caday. Andrew, I heard you just before five o'clock. You took on Tanya Pleversek over the comments she made. I think it was yesterday morning that this is the best time to be a first home buyer.
Speaker 3: Now, Parliament's back next week. Across the ball, we've got.
Speaker 2: A litany of unintended consequences out of the budget, the House falls, We've talked about negative equity, the whole widow's tax debarcle. Obviously, this gives the red meat there for the opposition to run on now doesn't it?
Speaker 11: Well, it does. Let's see if they can do it effectively, and let's see if they can get mileage out of it, because I just think they need to stick to a couple of themes and really hammer away at them. And even look, I mean I said to Matt Canavan the other day that indexation on tax the where's that gone? One even knows about it? That policy. You know, the mistake I think they're making, Peter, and you're an expert in this field, is they are just not saying stuff until they want to vomit. And that's what you've got to do. And that's because they're freaked out by one nation who anything they say gets a run. But you've just got to you've just got to get slick of lines, and you've just got to keep hammering away at them, and you've got to come up with a couple of clever you know, Widow's tax is a good one. You've got to come up with these phrases that capture the imagination. They get the grab out there, whether it's a house price dump or house price disaster, or you know, they Angus and his team, they really like that. I think they've really got a bit of work to do on that front.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a bit like fire the lion, mate. I mean, you've got You're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: You've got to frame the issue. You've got to frame whether it's whether it's.
Speaker 2: A trust issue, whether it's goes to character, whether it's sort of a personality trait, or it's you know, your political opponent, frame them in terms of who they are. But also you've got to frame the issue because, as you know, governments profit from the complexity of some of these things. I mean, part of the reason that they've got a way with saying renewables are cheap is because people go, oh, well wind and sol are free, right, Well, the sun's free at least, but they're not once they understand and they are understanding this now it costs a lot to put the infrastructure in and get the power from the source to the market. Now now that they understand those complex issues, Australians are walking away from supporting renewables. But that's taken about ten years of dog and debate in the computity. And I just don't think the liberals hammer stuff often enough frequently enough, And sometimes I look on the TVs and I don't feel like they're out in the field enough.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 11: But you know what, governments can profit on complexity, but they can lose on complexity. Tax things are case in point, because people think that any old inheritance, not just capital gains tax properties are sorry, not just investment properties would be hit by this, and that's not true. It would just be investment properties. And it doesn't come until mid next year, so it's presumably going to be fixed by then. But if you follow what I'm saying, people just hear tax housing that they're not They're not in the weeds of negative gearing and capital gains. And therefore this is where I think the government could could find itself in a bit of trouble because I think a lot of people don't understand these changes and think they're more far reaching than they are. I'm not saying they're not far reaching, but I just think there's there's so much ground there. Like I mean Tanya's comment, I mean I couldn't believe it, really. I mean house prices a me and bucks median at laden Perth. It's so out of time, it's insane, and it's never been a worst time to be a first home buyer. And the problem they've got is they're trying to create this mirage that this is this is the thing which is going to make things affordable. If this was a thing to make things more affordable, it needed to happen ten years ago. Because the horse has bolted, they're never going to get the price down. So they're going to end up annoying two cohorts, right, They're not going to be able to satisfy the first home buyer or enough of them, and they're going to annoy the people with existing homes who see their paper loss.
Speaker 2: So you end up in a situation and there's a lot more at the ladder than the front, and a lot more at the ladder than the former.
Speaker 11: Even if you're doing it on principle, and I don't believe they are. I think they're doing it for the base and to pretend they're doing something. It's not effective enough. It's too late. That's the problem they've got. And so why the opposition can't go with this and the other aspect that the opposition needs to hammer away at. Excuse me, Petter, is I remember myself when I was when I was saving for a deposit, what do you do right? You buy shares. That's one of the things I did to save for a deposit all these many years ago. Young people do that, they're pretty smart. They buy these EFTs or ETFs or whatever they're called. The capital gains changes on that stuff. So then so even the saving up to the deposit is hurt by these changes. There's just so much room if they if the opposition just wants to be patient and hammer away and hammer away and hammer away. And I don't see a lot of that. I just see, you know, going to a small business round table getting asked again about one nation. Just not that real political skill. You need some skill in this business, and I don't think the opposition has enough at the moment. It's as simple as that. A guy like James Patterson has the capacity to do it. Not many others do. Hasty Hasty comes out with some good lines, but he's.
Speaker 12: A bit you know.
Speaker 11: You wouldn't you wouldn't put all your hope in him. Where's the great White hope for these guys? They don't really have it, and you mightn't need it except you've got one nation.
Speaker 3: Just quickly, I want to ask you about Luke Gosling.
Speaker 2: I saw that interview with Mark Butler, the Health Minister on the way can this limp justification that he doesn't have to stand down because he hasn't got a fed in con roll, he's only a special envoy. Well, if it isn't really that important, why do we even have it? And of course when Parliament returns, all the hypocrisy from Melbourne easy about others who have had allegations and still decide. And when it's happened, you know, to the Coalition, this folk's been charged and he's still in his.
Speaker 11: Job, that'll be interesting.
Speaker 5: So what do you do?
Speaker 11: Do you go more retail or do you go for that because you don't get many questions with the crossbencher way it is. I don't mind spending a day on Gosling because I'm like, you're such a hypoca on this stuff.
Speaker 2: It's Prime Minister's character. It's less about Gosling and it's more about.
Speaker 11: It's humorous for large I mean, you know, one of the reasons I took this on as a journalist on Sunday is because I could scarcely believe that you know, someone who went on about standards so much is so failing and implementing stef So, I mean, you just can't let these guys get away with this, whether you're an opposition or a journalist in my view.
Speaker 2: But that's the whole issue with Gena Reinhart and the ABC. I mean, every single one of the ministers I've seen over last three days have said, oh, I haven't seen it, but I don't like the idea of what I've been told you, and I know they will have all watched it. Their officers would have watched it. Every minister's been briefed. There's clearly a line gone out of Labor Head office to say, don't acknowledge that you've watched it. Pretend you haven't seen it. Go to the principle hold the line independence of the ABC. You can personally not like it. I mean, I know exactly how the game is played here, but the Prime Minister can't crow about misogyny. He can't go after ditch the witch billboards and the witch is gone, I might add, dished by a labor man.
Speaker 3: You can't go on about that.
Speaker 2: At the same time as you can't say that someone like Gina Wrighthart, who isn't even in politics, deserves an apology and that stuff should be down right now off the ABC's platform.
Speaker 11: I think they're hardening any language on it, like I think Males was a bit better today. But yeah, I mean it's just it's disgraceful stuff, right, and yeah, again it smacks of double standards. So you've really got a bit to work with. The double standards on the Gosling and this particularly Gossling in my view, the tax changes. You can build the narrative. They don't really know what they're doing. They're collapsing the housing market. They're actually hurting first home buyers and young people. And you just push and push and push on that, and there's opportunity for the first time. Albanezy still ahead on two pp one, Nation's helping him with the Libs still got ninety four seats. That's where hubrist can creep in, and particularly when you know, I mean, I just think journalists need to go a bit harder frankly, I mean, I'm not going to be critical of other journalists, but I mean we've got a situation here where these guys have too much of an advantage and that's never good for a political system.
Speaker 3: I'm looking forward to you getting back to Canberra.
Speaker 5: Mate.
Speaker 2: I think you've been missing and are much needed. I'll leave it there, thank you, Andrew Clanell. Now to that extraordinary legal loophole that's allowed two recent high profile convicted rapists. These are in two separate cases in Melbourne. The loophole that has allowed them to retain their anonymity even after they've been convicted.
Speaker 3: Well, examine this right now.
Speaker 2: Tom Sylvanney was one and Ralph Carr, sensationally named yesterday, both found guilty of rape, have become the latest examples of convicted men who have applied successfully to have their identities suppressed, at least for a short period of time. Although it's been a while in Car's case. I'll get to that in a moment. It's prompted questions as to how defendants have been able to obtain suppression orders convincing a judge that exposing their identities will somehow impact their mental health. Savvy barristers, of course, have been taking advantage of this for some time. The critics say we've got to change the system. Justin Quill's a veteran media lawyer, partner of top law firm Thompson's, and he joins me now you've been on the front line of this justin for a long time. You've written across the news court papers today that this sort of secret justice carries all sorts of promises and issues, problems and issues.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry to say.
Speaker 2: Justice is supposed to be transparent. I get suppressing the name of the victim, fine, but why are in this case convicted perpetrators getting to keep their name out of the media.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well they shouldn't be. And of course we're talking about two high profile cases, but I can tell you there are dozens of them, not just rape cases. There's all sorts of defendants out there who have been able to achieve an ominity through this. I say loophole in the law and the way it's done. And I might say Car was for three years. I think Tom Silvanne across four different courts, the Magistrate's Court, the County Court, the Supreme Court and even up into the Court of Appeal, and twelve different hearings with two barrister teams, managed to keep their names secret for combined five years, three for Car, two for Slvanne. The way they do it is go along to a psychiatrist. Tell the psychiatrists a whole stack of things. The psychiatrist makes a report and says their mental harms in danger. That goes in and becomes evidence. We can't test what the psychiatrist has been told, and that's the psychiatrist's job to cross examine their patient to fact check what they're being told. So effectively they're able to get this evidence in by filtering it through the psychiatrists. And it's just wrong in my view, and it allows this sort of secret justice to happen. And I hate to think what what the victims think about it all.
Speaker 2: It's pretty bad in Victoria. Is Victoria the suppression capital of Australia.
Speaker 13: There's no doubt about that, no doubt about that. Let's look at the numbers. Victoria a wait for it, Victoria has more suppression orders made every year. It has done for a number of years. More suppression orders made every year than every other state in the country combined. That's probably the same for our state debt. I suspect, but every single state added up together doesn't have as many suppresion orders as we have here in Victoria. So I might say that's not just mental harm suppression orders. We're talking generally. So there's a real problem with these mental harm suppression orders. But there's a bigger, broader cultural problem here that means there's that many suppression orders made.
Speaker 2: James Debry, who's the Shadow Attorney General for the Liberal Party in Victoria, he says there'll be what does a reform look like? What needs to change justin Quill.
Speaker 13: Well, look, firstly, just on this mental harm suppression order issue, it's really simple. The law that says you can make a suppression order to protect someone's safety, which is being used was never thought about as mental safety but is now being used that way just needs to be changed to physical safety from another person. So where there's an informer giving evidence against a crook or a bikey or someone and they are in danger, sure they should get a suppression order to protect their physical safety from someone else. So that's an easy change. Beyond that, there needs to be cultural change in Victoria that just limits the number of suppression orders being made. That's obviously a bigger task, but I hope this does become a real election issue. It should.
Speaker 2: And just before we go over it, expecting the release of an IBAC report related to Daniel Andrews and the Firefighters Union that's also been the subject of debate and legal action to keep that from the public domain as well.
Speaker 13: Yeah, absolutely all. I appeared in the Tom Silvanni and Ralph Carr matters, but I also appeared in the Operation Richmond Suppression Order hearing as well. That felt a little bit like going into a boxing ring with one or two hands tied behind my back because I wasn't really able to see the material that I was trying to argue against, so it was very, very difficult. Ultimately, we were able to identify unmask who it was that was trying to keep that report secret, but we weren't able to unmask what it is that they're trying to keep secret. So looking forward to that. Finally, I think it's it seven years or maybe even nine years since these allegations were first occurred, and we still haven't had this report alway, so I'm really looking forward to seeing that.
Speaker 3: Do we have a release date? Have you got any understanding where that might be?
Speaker 13: I hope it's tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I don't think it is.
Speaker 13: I don't The short answer is, I don't know, Peter, but I hope it's sooner rather than later.
Speaker 2: I'm getting tomorrow in my year as well. Justin quill thank you, thank you very much. I thank you for your fighting for transparency and free speech there as well. Right after the break, they say imitation is the greatest form of flattery. So what does Tony Abbott make of Nigel Farage basically doing a cut and paste of Abbot Stop the Boat's policy, operation Sovereign Borders and will it work for the mess that is the English Channel? John Howard too on multi culturalism. Abbott says it's failed. Where's Howard on this?
Speaker 3: That'll be interesting. We'll talk about that one after the break. Welcome back.
Speaker 2: I'll g got you the latest on the Spanish border crisis, including an emerging conspiracy that the Moroccan government orchestrated, the whole thing that's coming out with Sophie Illsworth. But staying on the issue of illegal migration, Overn eight of the UK, Nigel Farage and his Home Affairs spokesman Zia Yusuf laid out their vision to stop the stream of illegal boat arrivals into the UK once and for all, and Australia seemingly has provided the blueprint.
Speaker 14: They tried offshore processing, they tried a number of things and in the end, what worked was towing the boats back to Indonesia and since then hardly a boat has landed in Australia. I am entirely confident, but under a reform government, within a fortnight there would be no more boats.
Speaker 2: Let's discuss this now, former PM now, of course, Federal Liberal Party President Tony Abbott, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know about the fortnite.
Speaker 2: He has got a big problem and the channel is narrower, and I don't know that France is as accommodating as Indonesia was in the end to us. But you know they've got to do something and it is almost every single element in this plan from your Operation Sovereign Borders.
Speaker 15: You're right, Peter, it's a carbon copy of Operation Sovereign Borders. There are two elements that are absolutely essential. The first is being prepared to send boats back if needs be, send people back at unsingable life rafts, which is what my government did. The second is disrupting these people gangs on land and largely with the cooperation of the Indonesians, that's what we did. And the issue for the British government is how much cooperation will they get from the French. But it has to happen by hook or by crook. It just has to happen, because what's happening across the English Channel now is a peaceful invasion.
Speaker 3: And of course we saw those shocking scenes out of that Spanish territory.
Speaker 15: Too, And this is where Europe collectively has been incredibly weak. If you lose control of your borders in the end, you lose your sovereignty. And Europe has now tolerated what amounts to a peaceful invasion for over a decade.
Speaker 2: Last night I discussed the question of religion, particularly the Jewish religion on the twenty twenty sixth census, and I've got some of the history wrong. It wasn't a ticker box option, as I said in twenty twenty one. In fact, the ABS is clarified it. They've always Jews have always had to write a tick other and write in Judaism.
Speaker 3: Now I wish that would change. I'd like to see that change.
Speaker 2: But I'd also like to see an option to Tony to tick the box on Christian because if you look down that list and your particular Christian church is not there, and a lot of churches are not there, or if you're another church going Christian, but you still are of the Christian faith. You've got to sort of be told it's okay to tick other and write in Christian And I think there's a game on to make religion disappear in this country from the left, and I'd like to see this fixed on the census.
Speaker 15: Well, there's no doubt that the green left establishment is deeply uncomfortable with Australia's core Anglo Celtic culture, with our foundational Judeo Christian ethos. I certainly think that if Anglicanism and Catholicism and Buddhism and Islam are specifically nominated on the form, why not Judaism because Jewish people and people of Jewish faith have been part of modern Australia since the first fleet from.
Speaker 3: Page to The Australian.
Speaker 2: The other day, John Howard said that this debate about monoculture versus multiculturalism is pointless. The inference didents specifically say, but the inference is that it's sort of a false debate. Now, I support a monoculture. I think we should all have a unifying, singular culture in this country. You say multiculturalism's failed. Are you at odds here with John Howard.
Speaker 15: Well, if you read John Howard's article as I did, he said that he had never been comfortable with the term multiculturalism, he had tried to avoid using it. In the end, I think he settled on something called Australian multiculturalism to distinguish it from Canadian multiculturalism, which is I suppose a product of Canada's unique history. Personally, I've never been very comfortable with the term multiculturalism. And as you know, Peter, I've contrasted the concept of Team Australia, where we are all barracking for this great country, with the concept of Hotel Australia, where people are just living here and making the most of the facilities. And I just think that we've got to remember that we are all part of Team Australia. And if we're not part of Team Australia, why are we here? I mean, that's the big question, isn't it now. John Howard, to his credit, often said that the things that unite us as Australian should always be more important than anything that divides us. And right now I'd like to see a lot more stress on our unity and a lot less on our diversity.
Speaker 2: I think, though, from the time of John Howard and Tony Abbott, there's been a real project from the left to tear us apart. I don't remember identity politics right down to denial of biology issues like that and three flags behind the Prime Minister being such a feature of our country like it is now.
Speaker 10: You're right.
Speaker 15: And again this is where how it was right to contrast the post war immigration where people were referred to as new Australians and they are encouraged and expected to integrate from day one and to assimilate as quickly as possible with the post Whitlam concept of multiculturalism, which in this era of ethnic grants and all the rest of it, can easily become a form of ethnic separatism. To use Jeff Blaney's phrase, we can become a nation of tribes, often hostile tribes, and we just have to get right away from.
Speaker 3: That quick one.
Speaker 2: You're a former health minister. There hasn't been enough focus. I don't think on this decision by the government to strip away the extra rebate that people over the age of sixty five got to help them keep private health insurance.
Speaker 3: And I'll tell you why it upsets me, because the government.
Speaker 2: Says It's a sure, it's a tiny saving, but it's not a real saving because that extra money from the rebate is nowhere near enough to look after these older Australians who will cost more given their age in the healthcare system. They will cost more because the moment they drop their PHR their private health insurance, as you know, they'll end up on Medicare. But the flippid response from Mike Butler on the weekend really got under my skin.
Speaker 1: Have a listen.
Speaker 16: Our independent modeling done by our officials suggests that maybe at most forty four thousand people out of several million would drop off private health insurance because of this measure. That's a very small percentage, not even one percent, not even half a percentage point at a time when insurance is growing, and obviously you know most of them wouldn't be using the public hospital system anyways.
Speaker 3: Now it's eight.
Speaker 2: Hundred dollars a year minimum if you're a single. Once you lose this rebate, the hit sixteen hundred dollar or more if you're a couple. Where do you think the pensioners, sorry people are going to get this month.
Speaker 15: Well, exactly right, Peter, Particularly pensioners and superbrannuans. They can't just go out and earn more money to cope with this extra hit. In my time as Health minister, this was something that actually saved the government money. It was a genuine investment because by helping older people to take out private health insurance, we were actually reducing the costs on the public health system.
Speaker 3: Yes, so let me make that clip of people at home.
Speaker 2: So if they were getting a thirty percent rebate, so thirty percent back from the taxpayer, they were still paying seventy percent of it themselves. Of course, if they're not, if they're on Medicare, it's one hundred percent paid by the taxpayer.
Speaker 14: Correct.
Speaker 15: So this was one of those occasions when judicious governments spent can actually reduce the overall costs to government. It's the old story. If you've got a government which is essentially a tax addict, and Anthony Albanez he is a tax addict, they take away benefits, they increase costs, your economy goes downhill and in the end the whole thing is a long term doom loop. And that's what we're on now. Thanks to the alban Ezy government.
Speaker 2: Yep, we can hit the oldies can't we but we can pay childcare for someone on half a million dollars a year at stinks, Tony, haven't.
Speaker 3: I'll leave it there. You're at arnam Land. I think I've got some pictures to put up on the screen. He was in nam Landing.
Speaker 2: Wasn't the talk fest, Garma. He was actually out there on the tools doing some good work with Nova Peris to build facilities that you can see them on the screen. All right, quick break after the break. Is there a deal between Reform and Restore to defeat Andy Burnham? The new government of the UK.
Speaker 3: It's climbing in the polls. We'll get to London in the mind moment.
Speaker 2: Welcome back coming out of parment a unity ticket with Chris Mins.
Speaker 3: This is about terror laws. We'll get to that very shortly.
Speaker 2: But out of the latest on Spain's illegal migrant crisis, authorities in ses tens of thousands of migrants who surged across the border have now returned to Morocco, but new reports say the crisis is far from over. Migrants are allegedly using jet skis to reach mainland Spain. Thousands remain hiding and surrounding hills and the precious mounting on the government over whether it's really regained control and these impacts of course the people movements between Spain and Germany and Italy and all the other countries in the EU which move to quickly suspend internal movement laws. Here to get us up to speed, News twenty four contributor News Corps Australia's European correspondent. So he deals with so if It'santiago Aspergal, he's the leader of Spain's hard right Vox party.
Speaker 3: He's been down to the region and he's.
Speaker 2: Called for the border with Morocco to stay permanently closed until Spain can guarantee it won't happen again.
Speaker 17: Peter, this is incredibly in concerning these reports that have been coming out, seeing all this surge of illegal migrants acrossing here, and it's put a lot of fear here in the UK that these illegal migrants will eventually arrive here in Britain, and it's just reignited the debate that Europe and the UK do not have control of their borders.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 17: There has been talk from Spain that a lot of this reporting has been driven by false information or amplification on social media and a lot of criticism of that, but Peter, there's no doubt that this crisis is far from over and those images that we've seen spread around the world. President Donald Trump has described it as a catastrophe and has put europe leaders on high alerg.
Speaker 3: What do you make of.
Speaker 2: Those reports that suggest Morocco's deep state may have deliberately relaxed the border controls as some sort of pressure tactic against Spain.
Speaker 17: Well, of course that has been one of the allegations that's come out of this, Peter. But there's so much information of flying around, with so many political points on this, it can sometimes be difficult to ascertain what is actually fact or fiction regarding this crisis. But again it comes back to the point that prime ministers and presidents all throughout Europe and here in the UK are now discussing the issue of illegal migration right up a top of the agenda because there are elections coming next year, including in Italy and Italian Prime Minister Georgia Maloney being the leader that knows this is one of the very key issues that will be a hot topic.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's by Nigel Pfarrage released Reform UK is basically carbon copy of Australia's southern borders over the weekend. Did they jump on the timing of what's happened in Spain because they know it's top of mind with voters.
Speaker 17: Peter, There's no doubt that Nigel Frage has pounced at this time because this crisis is making front pages here in the UK. The weather, as you can see here behind me, is beautiful. In England, it's been glorious for weeks on end, very warm here, great weather for illegal migrants to cross the channel, and there has been criticism that since the new Prime Minister, Andy Burnham came into office, thousands have continued to cross that channel. He has not spoken about this law of getting a handle on the issue of the English Channel between England and France. So again Nigel Frage is really seizing the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, feels like there's a real conspiracy in the British media in the way that we don't in Australia, where they just don't raise topics, that they don't want to do anything to assist reform. A lot of it, you know, as you know, has come down to Elon Musk or social media or Nigel Farage himself going out there to kick an isshoe along or get it into the public domain. There's talk now of a deal between Farage and Restore Britain.
Speaker 3: What can you tell us, are Sophie.
Speaker 17: Well, that's right. There is this discussion that Restore UK and a Reform UK may join forces coming into the next general election, which must be held by twenty twenty nine. But Peter, I highly doubt this will come to fruition. Rupert low the leader of Restore, Nigel Farage, the leader of Reform, had a huge falling out. Rupert Lowe was booted out of Reform. They despise each other. I cannot see how this will work. It's been described by some commentators here as a very bad marriage if they were to join forces. But we did see in the latest poll here in the UK lead here in the UK, Peter that Labor twenty five points ahead of Reform at twenty four points. It's the first time there've been ahead of them in quite some months. They're saying it's the burn and bounce, but will it last?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: Leave it there, You're right, that weather looks glorious, So let's you get out and get amongst it.
Speaker 3: SOPHI.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining me after the break the security cordon around One Nation leader Pauline Hansen perhaps two candidates. Is that going to help them politically or hinder them? My panels up next, we'll go back now to the latest on the major anti terrorism debating. New South Wales Premier Chris Mens has vowed to close a legal loophole after the Supreme Court refused to place supervision orders. I'm yak and Ben Shabah, the nephew of slain isis terrorist colored Sharof Sharof if you remember, had the children and the seven head well. Ben Shabiah was convicted this year over a twenty twenty four assault of a gay couple. Was later charged while on bail over the alleged case of pro isis material before the charges were dropped, and was released in April after successfully appealing the sentence of the twenty twenty four assault. The premier says New South Wales anti terror laws should err on the side of public safety. Here to discuss that and a whole lot more of my panel New twenty four contributor lucy's Zelek and One Nation Senator of a New South Wales Sewn Bell will tell you what Lucy, I'm on an absolute unity ticket here with Chris Mins.
Speaker 4: I dare say many of us would be Peter great to be with you.
Speaker 3: It's not often that we'll agree with Chris.
Speaker 4: Mins, but on this front, I think copletely in his response to Bondai massacre, he's someone that has been leading away politics aside on all of the regardless of which gode of the old use if I think, would be that what Chrismians is advot cating for something that we should get behind, and basically pointed to the fact that he said we need anti terror architecture in South Wales that is strong and earth on the side of keeping the public safe is on the right trajectory. Here we've seen so far the new South Wales government made free attempts to try and slapp terror control.
Speaker 12: Orders on this particular individual, but because of ambiguity in the wording of the law, that's why we now find ourselves in a situation where this individual walks free and without any supervision orders.
Speaker 4: The question is when are we going to grow up as a nation, When are we going to recognize that in order to put our citizens first, we need to rejig our legislation as it stands to ensure that the people in this country don't have to endure another BONDAI massacre.
Speaker 3: You know, wrong, recall of Parliament. Crack on with it, Chris.
Speaker 2: Men's let's go to that footage we saw last night of your boss, Pauline and said in Melbourne, not just obviously where you had to do your launch, it was it where you wanted. You wanted the steps of the Parliament, Sean, but also the scenes in the Melbourne suburb of Hawthorne.
Speaker 3: You know John Howard.
Speaker 2: I was in a car with him many many years ago when he was PM and we turned up at an event and there was a whole lot of really angry, radical lefty union types and I said, oh god, this is this is terrible. That's going to make the news is tonight And he said, well, I hope it does. That's exactly what ordinary Australians need to see.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Is this a good thing for one nation do you think?
Speaker 2: Or is it going to make you hard, make it more difficult for you to get around and about and talk to voters in Victoria?
Speaker 1: Look, Peter, if people turning up and doing this had any effect of one nation's capacity to get our message out to Australian people. We wouldn't be doing as well as we are. I mean, this is something that they have tried on us for many, many decades and it will continue to fail. I mean, nothing exposed is the intolerance of the radical left, like the way they react to a peaceful gathering of conservatives who are here standing up for the best interests of Australians and Victorian's. I mean, that was what we were doing, is we were participating in democracy. And nothing infuriates the radical left more than people who disagree with them participating in democracy. And unfortunately, I think a lot of this is tacitly supported by their labor politicians. I mean you hear them often talk about turning the temperature down, and we have seen some terrible tragedies that occurred around the world with Charlie Kirk for instance, and yet you don't ever see the Labor government telling these people to turn their temperature down. So look, I will want to give them a thank you for helping promote the event. You know, the haters are just the type of fan But no, it's not going to affect us. We've got a thick skin and you know where he to deliver for the people of Australia and the people of Victoria that they were trying to prevent us helping.
Speaker 3: Lucy. Just for a while ago, I spoke to Tony Havebnitt. We talked about.
Speaker 2: From the alban Eazy government on older Australians who've got private health insurance. What about this one today? A report that says people on the pension if they want to do a little bit extra work or stay in the workforce a little longer, they're really hit hard. They end up with an effective margin or tax rate of some one hundred and six percent. It feels to me they're being punished.
Speaker 3: And I made the point with Tony.
Speaker 2: If you want childcare help in this country, you can get it even if you earn half a million dollars.
Speaker 3: But we're going after pensions.
Speaker 4: It's devastating, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Peter.
Speaker 4: I think it was the late Pope Francis who said that a civilization is judged by how it treats its elderly and the place that it gives them in community life.
Speaker 3: And right now, the place that we are.
Speaker 4: Giving them is a one hundred and six percent marginal tax rate. If they earn over sixty five thousand dollars and have two hundred k in super It's a disgrace and this is something that needs redressing immediately from the government because the way that we're treating our elderly now, we are failing, not wrong.
Speaker 3: And they've paid taxes.
Speaker 2: I'll remind everybody they've paid taxes all their lives. Lucy Sean, I'm sorry it was a bit abbreviated tonight. Thank you very much, See you both next week.
Speaker 3: That's even me.
Speaker 2: I'll see you tomorrow night. More flags too, I've got a lot. They'll keep coming.
Speaker 3: Here's Andrew