Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That? The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. Oh Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed. As always, I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of Sugar ma'm a TV, the financial literacy platform covering YouTube podcasts, Instagram threads, TikTok and books like our upcoming book twelve Months to Financial Freedom not Long Togo now coming out in September. Are you excited about it? Can? I?
Speaker 2: I am? And if you haven't ordered a copy yet, you get onto it straight away because this is going to really transform your financial future.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: I'm really proud of what we've done. And it's so easy to follow along. Everything's broken down into bite size baby steps and is just clean and clear, like you'll know exactly what to do, but you understand why you're doing it and the benefit.
Speaker 1: And no matter where you're at as well in your life, career, money, there is something in there.
Speaker 2: For you and you take it at your own pace.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, anyway, there is a link to pre order in the show notes if but you can also just find twelve Months to Financial Freedom at wherever you order books online, go into your bookshop and tell them to order it in for you. Coming out in September. Anyway, today's episode Canna is very much I would say, driven by the that's a pun, but you won't understand the pun until you hear what the topic is.
Speaker 2: Unless you've read the title of the podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh that too, yeah, good point, good point. It is driven by the cost of living, right, and the cost of filling up a car with petrol or diesel, which really really hurt earlier this year when almost overnight prices shot up and what was kind of maybe one hundred dollars I'm thinking about my car diesel, right, yeah, and it was one hundred and ten dollars to fill the tank suddenly went up to two hundred plus and it hurt. It really really hurt. And perhaps unsurprisingly, electric vehicles have seen a big spike this year, and with them, there's also a lot of talk about the use of novated leases in order to get your hands on an EV. My confession is that I've never really understood car leases. It's always been a little bit kind of confusing. I get the concept I've tried to look into them, thinking that it might be a better way for me to do it, that I can use it to get a new car. I've never actually done it in the end, because I can't quite figure out if it's good for my budget, if I'm going to get the if I'm going to drive enough to make it worthwhile, all of these bits and pieces. So today that's what we're going to work our way through to figure out whether a novated lease is a good idea to get you behind the wheel of an EV.
Speaker 2: And of a fuel efficient EV. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, indeed, Okay, to help save money. Correct, let's start at the very beginning. What is a lease?
Speaker 2: So a novated lease is a three way agreement between yourself, your employer, and the leasing company. And it's a car financing agreement. And your employer makes payments on your behalf, which is deducted from your salary, a little bit like salary sacrificing. It's taken with pre tax dollars, but it's used to pay for the car.
Speaker 1: Okay, that is important that it comes out of your pre tax.
Speaker 2: Retax, so you're taking less in your net pay in order to package the car.
Speaker 1: In okay, and so how does that actually work? Then you make the deal first, or you go to it. There are companies that run novated leasing.
Speaker 2: The your employer will normally have a novated company that has a list of cars, and you select a car from their list available. And that's also really important because they may not necessarily have the car that you really want on that list, and then the lease company purchases it, but you then rent it over a fixed term, which is typically between sort of anywhere between two to five years, but I believe four years is the sort of sweet spot that most people tend to pick. But the thing with a novated lease is you're not just packaging the car, like the cost of the car, you're also including in it the running costs, so the fuel, the electricity, the redgio, the insurance, you know, the maintenance like ties. So it's all combined very neatly into one regular payment, but you more often than not have a balloon, or we call it residual payment at the end. So for example, you might buy a car for say sixty thousand, but the residual amount maybe say twenty thousand dollars after year four, year five, depending on the terms and conditions.
Speaker 1: Okay, In terms then of the costs you are going to be paying weekly, how much we how much are we talking? What what?
Speaker 2: What is in the cost of the car?
Speaker 1: Okay? All right, well, can we break it down then slightly a little bit more. What is included in this lease?
Speaker 2: So obviously the least repayments, then of course interest because these nobed lease companies I need to make money. Insurance, then regio maintenance, and of course a need sort of management fees that the no ed lease company may charge. And it does feel very simple, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's cheap.
Speaker 1: What about fuel, yes, assuming that it's sorry, assuming that this is not just a least for an ev yeah, and so all of the running.
Speaker 2: Costs, so you'd have to know roughly how much you how much driving you do per year, so they can work out the right amount of obviously wear and tear on the car, how much fuel, how often you need to get it serviced, and you know things like tires being replaced with brake pads.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then you are paying this weekly or fortnightly or monthly or whatever it is coming out of your pre tax pay. And then at the end of the least period. There is a balloon payment that you have to pay if you want to keep the car, but you don't have to keep the.
Speaker 2: Car, so no the balloon payment. You've got a few different options, and again it comes down to the fine pern and getting some advice. So some people will actually roll that over and take out a new lease on that balloon payment. Some people will hand the car back and pay out the difference. Some people will sell it. I've even seen a couple, not often, but there were situations where people would sell it actually end up with some money. But a lot of people tend to roll it forward, they'll upgrade the car.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Why are people so interested then in novated leases for evs at the moment it goes And it's a leading question here because I know that it does go beyond just the fact that there is demand for evs because petrol prices are so high. There are some other incentives.
Speaker 2: Well, the government incentives are probably the biggest one here. So in Australia, many evs that like or on a notivated lease are FBT free, so Fringe Benefits tax is not charged when you take a notvated lease on an EV and this can significantly reduce the cost because you're not having to pay fringe benefits tax, which is which is huge. Also, you know, obviously the lower running costs, no petrol, less maintenance. There's obviously, again not everyone agrees with us the environmental appeal, and you know, it looks like, you know, you are being very responsible and respectful to the planet. And you know, I've never seen so many smug EV vehicle drivers. Like even one of my girlfriends said, I've never been proud of the fact I bought a Tesla four years ago, Like I'd just sit down that freeway feeling really smug.
Speaker 1: Really smug. I mean, but that's also been that's been the case since the Prius first kind of drove around what twenty years ago or something. There's always been this slide kind of look in their eyes, going, I'm doing more for the planet than you are.
Speaker 2: Tax and centerves definitely can make something look a lot more attractive, but they don't actually, they don't necessarily make it the best option for you.
Speaker 1: Who is it suited to Because I'm thinking about me and I'm thinking about how much I drive, which is not actually that much anymore. I do a lot of working from home when I'm coming in here into the studio or jump on the train. Really, we're probably kind of ten thousand k's per year at most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm probably not too like I would be the same. I think I ever worked out between twelve to fifteen thousand a year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And so is it suited then to people who are doing more? They're doing kind of twenty thirty forty, they're on the road all the time for work, they're traveling around a lot more. Who is it suited to.
Speaker 2: The most important thing to know and understand what this novated lease is is you've got to have stable employment, you know, salary obviously to make the repayments. But if you leave your employer or you're made redundant, this then potentially terminates the novator lease, which means you lose the tax benefits and you've also got to pay out the car. So if you don't have money set aside for that payout, you could put yourself under serious pressure. So if you're going to do something like this, you've got to know you're going to be staying put with that particular employer for quite some time. Then of course, you know, and this is the bit of the I guess the I wouldn't say polarizing. But the controversial issue with these tax incentives is that, you know, a lot of people argue that these tax and centers are only for people in the top mondal tax rate because they're the ones that benefit the most from being fringe benefits tax free. So you could say, well, you know, they're the ones that will benefit first and foremost. Then of course, people who you know, value convenience because it is neatly packaged in one repayment rather than having you know, your CTP, your ohe CTP third party, but your comprehensive cover the petrol, you know, the maintenance. Everything is grouped in the one of payments of them, and it makes a lot easier to manage your budget, I will admit. And people obviously who do need a car, and a reasonably new ish car, you know, that's something that this may suit people. For example, not that I necessarily agree with this, but you'll see a lot of real estate agents tend to drive a new car. They don't. You don't tend to see them driving around in say a Karl like mine, it's like nine years old. Generally speaking, I know it's a huge assumption I'm making it. But people who do want because it's part of what they do, have a newish, smart looking car that with the latest technology. Okay, And it was of course, like having predictable expenses, like a good budget. You know that they're very they've got the cash photos to service this.
Speaker 1: All right, then who should avoid it? And based on just what you've said there, if you have unstable employment, that's one.
Speaker 2: What else people with a tight cash flow. In the other day, someone actually who I know through work was saying, you know, should I should I be buying a new car? But I knew that they were on a really tight budget and had a lot of other things going And I was like, absolutely not. This is the last thing you should think on your list right now to because we'll think about it. You've got to find the repayment. If you don't have that money, you know, say two hundred and fifty dollars a week, or five hundred dollars a month, or seven hundreds a month, whatever it may be, you coult to make sure you can service that comfortably.
Speaker 1: So you treat it. You have to look at it basically just as as a.
Speaker 2: Loan exactly and didn't think of it as as well as a form of like a responsibility. It's a repayment to a certain degree.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: But also a lot of people don't realize this will impact your credit score, so it will then impact your ability to borrow and how much you can borrow. So if someone is thinking of you know, looking at say moving home and upgrading the home, or perhaps looking at a debt recycling strategy, or perhaps looking at buying an investment properties planning to take a new loan out, you know, a fifty thousand dollars ev on an ovated lease can potentially reduce your borrowing capacity by up to one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Now, yes, again we always get a mortgage broker and speak to the mortgage broker before you go and do this, But that's something you don't want to discover when you go to borrow money to buy property or you know, to look at debt recycling and originally you're planning on doing this at this price point, but suddenly your budget gets cut down significantly because of this one decision you made three months ago, six months ago, a year ago that you're kind of married to for the next two to five years.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to dig a little bit deeper into that, because I think it's probably something that a lot of people wouldn't be aware of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of people don't really understand the fine print behind these agreements. And this is the problem. It is. It's like you're getting something for nothing. You're getting a fifty thousand dollar EVY and you're thinking you're doing all the responsible things because it's going to save your budget, save your cash flow. But there are a lot of consequences.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we're going to go into a few more of those in a moment. Quick break back in a sec kin a very simple question today, should you lease an ev There's a lot more to this, as we've discovered novated leases. They do look good on the surface, having kind of one payment per month or a week or fortnite or whatever it is coming out of your pre tax pay and that covers kind of the cost of the car itself and the wear and tear, the maintenance, the red oh, the insurance, all of that. It does feel very simple, it feels very clean, but there's a lot more to it under the surface. As we've now discovered risks. The big one that you mentioned before was the risk that if your job changes, if you if.
Speaker 2: You lose your job, gett made redundant.
Speaker 1: That you are responsible for, you'll have to make a decision whether it's ending the lease yep, and having to pay potentially significant fees there the borrowing capacity. That is something that I hadn't kind of processed, and you don't take that into account until you try and get a credit product of some kind, whether it's a loan, you're getting credit card or something that all of a sudden that they are factoring in all of these liabilities responsibilities. Yeah, yeah, and not just the fact that if you've got a credit card that's got to say a five thousand dollars limit or so that and you say, on it's fine, I keep it paid down to zero. It's always at zero. No, no, no, that doesn't matter the fact that you actually have this five thousand dollars limit available potential debt there. That's going to count. Again, and in the same way that having a lease on an EV or any vehicle is also going to count.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so, particularly people who are looking to refinance as well, you know, not necessarily taking on new debt, but refinancing. You want to check this with your mortgage broker before you go and do this.
Speaker 1: What are the other risks here? Is that potentially, yeah, not going to get the mileage out of it, and therefore you're actually paying more than the value of what you're getting.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, but then there are actually bigger ones, more serious ones. So you know, with the fringe benefit tax, I know, well, this is why I'm so glad we're doing this episode, because normally I would er away from this topic being a depreciating asset that provides, you know, for a little benefit other than a lifestyle one. But you know, you're playing with your adjustable taxable income. So your employer, because you're now packaging a car, can only pay super the twelve percent super guarantee on your reduced salary. So say I'm earning fifty say I'm earning, say fifty thousand dollar a year, and I go and package a ten thousand dollars a year car. So ten thousand dollars are now being taxed at forty thousand dollars a year. My employer only needs to pay twelve percent on the forty thousand not on the fifty thousand, So I'm actually now jeopardizing what's going into my superannuation and therefore there is a consequence or repercussion to my final superannuation account balance.
Speaker 1: Did you know that I did not kill now? Well, to be fair, I also haven't tried to take out one. Now, that's a good reason.
Speaker 2: And same issue could increase your hex s debts as well, not increase your head stets, right, increase your HEX repayments, the minimum repayments and also if you qualify for any sort of subsidies like childcare, can also impact that as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, the end of the lease. We talked before about the balloon payment, and so you need to be prepared for that as.
Speaker 2: Well, right, Yes, So you would need to factor into your budget to have like a regular savings plan over the course of your agreed term so that when and they would give you a figure as to what the balloon payment would be, so you know in advance, you know, I'm going to have a twenty thousand dollars balloon payment in twenty twenty nine, and you wouldn't want to save up for that so that when that comes you can pay the pay off the car, the balloon payment, and then obviously you get to keep the car. But as I said, some people like to refinance this. They'll go to take out the remaining balloon and turn it into another lease or a lot of people get caught into this trap I'm going to say, where they end up just trading the car and getting the latest model.
Speaker 1: A balloon. Payments subject to inflation.
Speaker 2: A good question. I think it obviously would come down to the terms and conditions and the fine print. But I believe it's fixed in the contract. But they've already factored in that anyway, so they're already charging you interest that would take into consideration.
Speaker 1: So balloon inflation.
Speaker 2: It was just a joke, Okay, I didn't Sorry that went over my head, and I'm hoping the listeners went over their head too, so that.
Speaker 1: They should appreciate that that was comedy gold here and I'm just not appreciated. Do you think people fully understand what they are committing to when agreeing to an ovator? At least certainly there would be some But there's a lot more to it.
Speaker 2: There is so much more. There's so much the devil in the detail. And I think also with everything. There's so much talk of petrol prices. You know, it's almost like the new property topic that people talk about. And I think a lot of people are. You know what we've seen in the headlines, you know, this knee jerk reaction of people getting rid of their cars, you know, going and buying an EV. A lot of people are now on wait lists for EV. So there is there has been Potentially when you see these figures, it would potentially indicate there's been an emotional rational reaction to the petrol prices and shifting towards EV. I'm not judging that at all, but perhaps some people need to do things differently. And ironically, I'm in a similar situation too. I have a car. I own it outright, it's nine years old, and it's getting towards the point where time's like, I think we need to change. But now I'm wondering. And I never would have thought about getting an EV because I have got three kids, I need you got three big dogs, I need a big car. But now I'm thinking, well, no, I don't need a big car because that's going to be so expensive. Perhaps, you know, I need to look at my lifestyle and maybe you know, hang in a bit longer where all three kids are out of booster seats and car seats which take which require a big car and make it last a little bit longer, and you know, not necessarily by a new car, just yet try and hold out and also then see what happens to fuel prices as well. They may come back a bit. So I think it's one that you need to enter in very very carefully, looking at all your options, doing your research, and you know, even looking taking time to look at the actual car, because there's also lots of information coming up about how long these cars actually really do last, how many kilometers they state, versus how much the evidence is showing.
Speaker 1: And we did remember we had Trent Nikolic in the studio last year when we were talking about.
Speaker 2: What to look for, said to me, don't get an ev with what my lifestyle is actually about. But you know, I think you just like, hold up, do your research, ask all the question, look at the fine print, and really question whether it's the right time what you really want. And perhaps so there are other ways to help bring down your petrol prices rather than just rush out and buy a new ivy.
Speaker 1: Okay, if people want more information from you and want to see where you what you eventually decide to do with your car.
Speaker 2: Best place to get in contact with me is at Sugar Mama TV on Instagram.
Speaker 1: And you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business news. You can use thank you for listening to how do they afford that? Remember to hit follow on the podcast, and why not pre order a copy of Twelve Months to Financial Freedom? There is a link for that one in the show notes today. It's available in bookshops from September one. It available for pre order out Thank you for your company. Join us again next week