Speaker 1: From The Australian. He is what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Wednesday, June seventeen, twenty twenty six. Treasurer Barnaby Joyce. That's the hope in One Nation as it lines up its star recruit to take on Jim Chalmers in the shadow Treasury portfolio, and Pauline Hanson lines up her talent. Hanson's addressing the Press Club today as she campaigns to be taken seriously as an alternative prime minister. A new revelation in the case of murdered five year old girl Kumanjai Little Baby, police believed her mother was at imminent risk of murder or serious injury from a domestic assault in the months before the child's disappearance. The Australians revealing today that during Little Baby's lifetime, police had been called to reports of assaults allegedly perpetrated by her father on more than thirty occasions. Those stories are live now at the Australian dot com dot AU. A night at the pub ends in an accusation of rape, and now the woman at the center of one of Australia's most controversial cases is turning her fury on the prosecutors, she says, let her down. Today, our National Chief of Staff, Ellie Dudley, is here for a close look at a deeply human story of trust betrayed. Stay with us. Ellie Dudley is the Australian's National Chief of Staff and she spent several years reporting a case that's absolutely intriguing. It's about a New South Wales woman who was at the center of a sexual assault case. Ellie, tell me this woman. You've given her the name Tina Styleman. What happened to Tina?
Speaker 2: So, Tina believes that she was raped. She was overseas and she came home one night earlier than expected, and she was planning to meet up with her boyfriend later that night. Before she did that, she went to a pub and she met with a friend of hers who she had met on Tinder a couple of years earlier. They had had various sexual relations, but they were just friends. She went to the pub, they had one beer, they had a second beer, they had a third beer, and then she doesn't remember a single thing until she woke up in his bed a few hours later. She reported it to the police. She went to hospital. She describes herself as the model complainant. She told a friend about it. She told her boyfriend about it quite quickly, and then it went through trial. So she spent multiple years going through the justice system to then get a not guilty verdict. Now that not guilty verdict, a jury found quite quickly within an hour that the man that she believes raped her actually didn't and that was something that she came to terms with. She understood that that was something that could occur. But the thing that was incredibly distressing to her was that a few weeks later, the judge in the matter delivered a cost judgment, which is effectively saying to the defendant, the man who she believes raped her, the government will pay your legal bills. And in that cost judgment he delivered a scathing rebuke of the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions in New South Wales for running meritless rape cases, that is, rape cases that never had any prospect of a conviction from the outset. They were never going to result in a guilty verdict. And for Dena Stehman, she went through this process. She trusted the prosecutors. She raised them multiple times, well I don't remember anything, I can't necessarily say that I didn't consent because I was blacked out, and she was hoping that they were sitting on a pile of evidence that would prove her believed perpetrators guilt. That pile of evidence never eventuated, and so she was instead left as a complainant in this case that was deemed meritless by a judge.
Speaker 1: A voice actor is reading excerpts of Tina Starhleman's interview with Ellie.
Speaker 2: I really felt like something else had been taken from me. I would not have progressed the matter if I had any idea that the prospects of success in terms of a guilty verdict were so low. In the few years that you've been reporting on this, this phrase meritless rape cases has really stuck with me, and I think I'd probably assumed that what it referred to was women or victims who were making complaints that were vexatious, that were clearly untrue. Your interview with Tina Stahlemlan, I think, brings a whole new level of nuance to it. She is so shattered by the fact that this prosecution went ahead when it didn't have a chance of succeeding, But she hasn't resiled from her belief.
Speaker 1: That she did not consent to the six that happened. What's happened in New South Wales and so many other jurisdictions I think is that we've got used to the idea that very drunk people cannot act actually consent to sex. That consent has to be active and ongoing. So help me understand here why it was meritless. She was quite drunk. She'd had at least four drinks I think, maybe fine five. He had had a similar number of drinks, but presumably was not as intoxicated as her. They were in his house. She went to the hospital straight away and got a rape kid. Male DNA was found in her genital area in her underwear. She had bruising on her genitals. But what about that is meritless.
Speaker 2: It was never a question of did they have sex. They both agreed that they had sex. When he testified in court, he said that she actually came on to him quite aggressively, that she initiated the sexual intercourse. The reason that it's meritless, or the judge found it to be meritless, was that there actually wasn't any evidence to prove that she didn't consent. And when I spoke to her just recently for this article, she believes that she didn't consent, but she can't say it for certain. The only person she believes who will ever be able to say if she consented or not is her believed perpetrator. But for the judge to say that it was a meritless rape case, what he's saying is that there isn't any evidence besides her, Well, I think I didn't consent. I can't say for certain because I was black out, but I don't think I consented. There's nothing beyond that. There was no evidence beyond that to prove that the rape occurred.
Speaker 1: And I guess this is the point too, because you think, well, what evidence could there possibly be? I mean, there could be CCTV of them leaving the pub with him dragging her by the hand, for example, Or there could be an eyewitness who said that she was needed to be carried up the stairs because she was so drunk that she couldn't walk independently. Those might be things that would suggest that there were evidence that she didn't consent, But in most sexual encounters, it's one person's word against another.
Speaker 2: Isn't it totally And it's something that we've come to terms with over the past decade or so. Rape isn't a bad man grabbing you in an alley and forced to have sex. That's not where most rapes occur. Most rapes are. They're day rapes. They're sexual intercourse you didn't consent to or didn't want to have with someone that.
Speaker 1: You know, or you consent up to a point and then something happens that you're not consenting too, like the removal of a condom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. And this is something that we've seen a wave of laws across the country of affirmative consent laws saying that consent needs to be ongoing, it needs to be active, and both parties need to agree to have sex continuously throughout the sexual encounter. And that's a reaction to cases like this.
Speaker 1: Now the new South Wales government has answered the call, announcing a shift to what's called an affirmative model of consent.
Speaker 2: This is a major overhaul to sexual violence laws here in Queensland.
Speaker 3: Victorian government making consent classes mandatory in state schools.
Speaker 1: So the prosecutors didn't have any third parties, saying that they saw her being dragged up the stairs. They didn't have evidence like that, so the critique from the judge suggests that they should not have run this matter at all, which makes me wonder, how are these new active consent laws ever going to get before juries In cases where a woman or a victim believes that they have been raped and the elleghed perpetrator says that the sex was consensual, victims who were drunk are probably not going to remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's what makes sexual assault such a devastating and challenging crime, you know, it's he said, she said. It was interesting during the Bruce Lehmon Britney Higgins saga. It was something where during the criminal trial we never heard from Bruce Lehman. Bruce Lehman was the defendant and he had a right to silence. He sat there and didn't say anything throughout the entire trial. Brittany Higgins, however, gave evidence as the complainant. She was torn to shreds in the witness box, and we didn't hear anything from Bruce Lehman until he was in the witness box for the defamation claim that he took out against Network ten. He claims they destroyed his life by airing the first interview with Brittney Higgins in a case that saw him tried but never convicted of rape. If you bring a defamation claim, then you have to give evidence, you have to testify, and when he started speaking, you go, oh, hold on, a lot of his story doesn't add up, doesn't make sense. And then ultimately a federal court judge found on the balance of probabilities that he did rpe Britney Higgins.
Speaker 3: Justice, finding that not only did Bruce Lehreman write Britney Higgins in Parliament House, but that he would have got away with it if he hadn't soon network ten for defamation.
Speaker 2: And I think that illustrates that he said she said so well. In the case of Tina Staleman, her alleged perpetrator did give evidence. But in a lot of these cases you don't even hear from one side of the matter. Not to say that they should. The right to silence is an incredible important part of our justice system, but they're challenging their complex and I don't think it's ever really been nailed of how you get justice in these situations.
Speaker 1: It is very reminiscent of the Bruce Lemon Brittany Higgins situation.
Speaker 3: They were shocking allegations which rocked Parliament House, but tonight sexual assault.
Speaker 1: Of course, Bruce Lemon was not convicted in the set Supreme Court. The jury was dismissed after a jura was found bringing research materials into the jury room. The prosecutors decided not to rerun that case. Bruce Lamon, of course, has always denied any wrongdoing despite having lost that defamation case. But on the balance of probabilities, just as Michael Lee found that Brittany Higgins was very, very drunk, he wasn't sure whether she had said no on a loop, which is what she claimed, but really he found that she was too drunk to consent, and that Bruce Lamon knew that. That makes me wonder is on the balance of probabilities the only way you're ever going to get a conviction in a case like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's what's so interesting about that case specimically is that I think for a lot of people there was a sense of vindication when Justice Lee handed down his judgment because there was finally an answer. But yeah, I actually don't know what the solution.
Speaker 1: Is In the Tenna styleman matter. Paul Tyler be accused. That's the pseudonym you've given him, because of course we can't reveal their real identities, denied any wrongdoing, pleaded not guilty, and was found not guilty by a jury, as you say, in just one hour. But it's a horrendous ordeal to go through being charged with a criminal offense, especially something like that. It would have had lifelong impacts on him. And that's part of the critique of the judge. Isn't it that it's on the DPP to only run prosecutions where there is a reasonable chance of conviction, because otherwise you're destroying two lives, creating false hope in the complainant and creating a shadow of guilt over the accused. As you mentioned, I've been on these cases, on cases.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I think we've had six judges maybe more who have criticized the New South Wales Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions from running these so called meritless rape cases, and those judges have criticized them. I've spoken to defendants, so men who believe that they were wrongfully accused. I've spoken and interviewed them. I've spoken to solicitors I've spoken to barristers, but this is the first time that we heard from a complainant. And I think what this story does is that it sheds a light on the fact that there is a woman most of the time, a woman at the center of these cases who has been given false hope, is believing that she's going to get justice, is dragged through the criminal trial system, is giving evidence, in this instance, giving evidence in the same building that her alleged believed perpetrator was.
Speaker 1: In and getting rigorously cross examined, no doubt by his counsel, which of course is the way it goes.
Speaker 2: Absolutely being put to her that she aggressively initiated oral sex with the man that she believes raped, only to then come out the other end and say, well, it was all for nothing and never should have gone to trial.
Speaker 1: It's a terrible story.
Speaker 2: It's an excruciating experience. I'm not certain. I don't think it was ever put to me that I was just lying because of my lack of memory. It was put to me that I'd been mistaken, that I'd engaged in a consensual interaction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really really tough. Well done on winning her trust. Of course, you anonymized her identity, but it's still a lot to tell this story at all. She didn't have to do that. What do you think made her want to talk Frustration?
Speaker 2: Probably she I think was frustrated by the fact that there would be people in the community who would perceive the Prosecution Office of being brave for running sexual assault trials that may not have enough evidence but might get there. Who knows. She says, it's not brave. It's been cavalier, and it's been cavalier with her hopes. It's been cavalier with public resources, but it's been cavalier with the justice system, which is something that we hold as such a central tenet of our society. The narrative has become far too simplistic that it's about being misunderstood, or that the DPP is being brave in some way by taking matters to trial that should not go to trial. That is not bravery. That is a squandering of public resources and just being cavalier with people's hopes. If I had my time over, I would make a sexual assault Reporting Option report, which is the anonymous online report. I would not participate in a prosecution.
Speaker 1: Do you think the DPP in New South Wales has changed its ways as a result of this controversy.
Speaker 2: Well, the other interesting thing about Tina's case is that it was her case that sparked a statewide audit of sexual assault cases. So the ODPP did an internal audit they run it themselves, where they looked at four hundred or so sexual assault cases that were currently before the courts to see if they had prospects of success. I think there was a dozen or so that were thrown out as a result of that audit. And we should say that the Office and its director, Sally Dowling, have always maintained that this isn't an issue, this isn't a thing, and they have taken two judges, including the one in Tina Stalman's case, to the Judicial Commission and have had wins in the Judicial Commission for saying that the criticism of the judges for claiming that these cases were meritless were baseless. But what I not through my reporting is that I've spoken to a lot of people who have been impacted by these cases and they've had their lives really changed by some of these prosecutions.
Speaker 1: Ellie Dudley, thank you very much. Thank you, Ellie Dudley is The Australian's National Chief of Staff. The names of the complainant and the accused in this story have been changed. You can read Ellie's work and all our average of courts and legal affairs right now at the Australian dot com dot au