Speaker 1: Live on Sky News.
Speaker 2: This is Sharry Good Evening, Massive show. Tonight, Peter Dutton joins me for a one on one interview where he.
Speaker 3: Hits out at the hostile press pack.
Speaker 2: Covering his campaign. He calls them biased activists, not journalists. He also gives insight into what his polls are telling him about who will win the election. My interview with Peter Dutton coming up in a moment. Also tonight, bombshell revelations that the Albanezy government knew well before this campaign started that Russia made military requests to Indonesia and Australia's triple A credit rating under threat from Labour's big spending agenda. Shutter treasurer Angus Taylor will be on live pass the debate over Welcome to Country ceremonies heats up four days until the election. These are the big issues unfolding now. I told you this would be a big week on the show, so right before the election and tonight alone, we've got Peter Dutton and Angus Taylor Duarton interview first this half hour, but first tonight, the Prime Minister who finds a television show terrifying yet refuses to confront the real and growing threat of adversaries like China and Russia on our doorstep. Today, these bombshell revelations that the Albanesi government knew well before the campaign started about a Russian request to use Indonesian airfields for long range military aircraft. Now, the Albanesi government was made aware of the request after a February meeting between the Indonesian Defense Minister and senior officials from Moscow. This is in Dennis Shanahan's exclusive front page report today. Now, this was no rumor, no speculation, certainly not propaganda as Albanzi claimed it was. This was hard in intelligence and it demanded a serious and thoughtful response from the Prime Minister to the Australian public. But instead Labour try to present this information as fake news despite knowing about the official request.
Speaker 4: And the coalition will try to raise a range of other issues. They raise issues about briefings on waiting for them to ask for a briefing on who faked the moon landing. The truth is that the Indonesian president made no statement. The alternative Prime Minister of Australia verbaled the Indonesian president.
Speaker 5: This is a complete smoke screen. To be frank, what the opposition of trying to do with this whole issue about whether or not there is a briefing is to find some kind of excuse for what Peter Dutton did last week.
Speaker 6: Wouldn't it be an act of good faith to just give them a briefing on it?
Speaker 7: Andrew, the opposition is asking for a briefing on something that doesn't exist. I mean they might as well ask for a briefing on the Lockness monster. This is something that doesn't exist, that they fabricated.
Speaker 2: Fabricated propaganda Murray Watts, as you heard there comparing.
Speaker 3: It to the Lockness Monster. Well, while Labor was making jokes, Russia was making moves.
Speaker 2: Now, Peter Dutton is a former defense minister who understands the reality of what it would mean if Russia had long range missiles just one thousand, three hundred kilometers from our mainland. Yet when he raised the alarm, the Prime Minister mocked him, attacked him, and claimed his remarks made him unfit to be prime minister.
Speaker 3: Well, no, Alban easy. What makes a leader unfit is ignoring such threats. What makes a leader.
Speaker 2: Unfit is belittling national security to prot affect political skin. Now, the truth is clear for anyone to see a stronger Russian military presence just north of Australia would pose a direct, immediate threat to our sovereignty, our security, and potentially to the safety of every Australian family. But Albanezi chose to trivialize it. He deflected, he chose weakness over vigilance. This is a prime minister who is not across the detail. He's out of his depth on the international stage, and at a time when the world is becoming more dangerous, he just doesn't take this issue seriously enough. And so today while threats gather at our doorstep, Albanezi stood before the media promoting a television series, a TV series called Adolescence yep that he said, this was frightening.
Speaker 4: I encourage anyone to have a look at it. It's scary. It's scary that these parents depicted not knowing what their young son, who they love, has engaged in. And there's a scene towards the end there where the father, who's brilliant helped write the show, says, we thought he was safe, he was in his bedroom, we thought he was safe. Well, it's had tragic impact for him, but a worse impact for his victim, and so this is something we need to have conversations about.
Speaker 3: He's talking about fiction there. Fiction.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't know how he had time to binge watch a fictional TV series during an election campaign. I certainly and he's the Prime Minister campaigning. But let's put that to one side for the moment.
Speaker 3: Now. Compare his response when he was asked.
Speaker 2: About a fictional TV show to his response about the revelations that his government knew about the request from Russia to Indonesia back in February. In March, were you told about the Russian request for air base success in Indonesia? O?
Speaker 4: Look, I don't go through again. I refer to my previous answer. What adults do on intelligence is receive them and not do it conduct it through the media.
Speaker 3: What we know I spoke about the importance of transparencies.
Speaker 4: What we know is I'm sorry, but adults, adults when it comes to intelligence, act like adults.
Speaker 2: So we can see clearly the Prime Minister appears more concerned about a fictional TV series than actual national security.
Speaker 3: A scripted fictional.
Speaker 2: TV drama, not Russia, not China, a TV drama. And then last night he couldn't even bring himself to say that, yes, China is the greatest threat to our national security.
Speaker 8: Should we be worried about China though it does China pose the biggest risk to our national security?
Speaker 4: Well, China seeks is the major power in the region which is seeking to increase its influence.
Speaker 1: Dub name China.
Speaker 4: You didn't, no, no, I said, China is the biggest country. Is the country that that seeks influence in the region to extend, and that is what we are doing. Well, I'm the prime minister of a country and how you deal as prime minister is diplomatically.
Speaker 3: And it reminds you of Sam Destillari, doesn't it. Yeah, that's his response.
Speaker 2: As a Chinese warship conducted live fire exercises off the coast of the Tasman Sea for the first time since the Second World War, and as a Chinese spyship circumnavigated our southern coastline, yep Albin Easy speaks with emotion about fictional tragedies while appearing alarmingly unconcerned about the real world dangers unfolding right before our eyes. At a time when Australia needs a leader with clarity, conviction and courage, we have one obsessed with television programs and stage managed soundbites.
Speaker 3: It's not just embarrassing, it's dangerous.
Speaker 2: Our adversaries are watching what he says, and what they see is weakness. They see a leader who won't even acknowledge a threat or call it a threat, let alone prepare for it by increasing defense spending. And history tells us one thing, it's that weakness invites aggression. Well, God help us all now. The Welcome to Country has become a flash point in the election campaign, and Peter Duarton is making the case that it's completely overdone, while Alban Easy rejects this suggestion for the.
Speaker 9: Start of every meeting at work or the start of a football game. I think a lot of Austrains think it's overdone and it cheapens the significance of what it was meant to do. We want to make sure that we can respect to strains, but not diminish the significance of a welcome to country, which I think is taking place.
Speaker 4: It's up to people to determine whether they have a welcome to country or not, but from my perspective, from my perspective for major events, it is of course a sign of respect.
Speaker 2: Now Dartin is suggesting that the welcome to country ceremony still be conducted at important and significant events like the opening of Parliament, just not overdone into nambagin for Price as back dutton In, along with Jane Hume and others. In fact, just Enterprice has been making this argument consistently since the Voice referendum.
Speaker 10: We've got to do more in that space as opposed to dividing our country and I want our kids to be proud to call themselves Australian and not feel bad in any way for feeling a sense of pride in our country.
Speaker 11: I think the issue though, is when they're become performative, when they occur before every sporting.
Speaker 1: Event or.
Speaker 11: Every meeting and in an office, it does become a little bit ridiculous.
Speaker 12: I think what Peter said last night in the in the Leader's debate is right. It's been overdone and I think it also can be very divisive at times as well, because ultimately we're all Australians.
Speaker 2: So what started as a respectful acknowledgment to country and to elders past has now been taken to absurd extremes. Many preschoolers parrot to welcome to country daily, yet they're too young to have any understanding of what they're saying. And Australian officials at climate conferences in Europe have acknowledged the owners of the land on which they stand when they are literally thousands of kilometers away.
Speaker 13: My name is Claire Anderson. I'm the group director of Sustainability Performance at Walley and I'm very delighted to be here today and to start, I might whilst we're not on Australian lands, I'd still like to start with acknowledging the traditional owners of Australia and the Torrest Trade Islands and pay my respects to their eldest past president and emerging.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, that truly is absurd.
Speaker 2: It's insulting to our intelligence. There's a difference between honoring and respecting the past and being made to feel like you're a trespasser in your own country. Because that's precisely the message the Greens and other radical activists are pushing every day.
Speaker 3: They say they're living on.
Speaker 2: Stolen, unseated land. And one of the most dangerous consequences of this message that really hasn't been discussed, and it's reinforced by overdoing the welcome to countries is that it erodes patriotism, that vital sense of loyalty to Australia and if you don't feel like you belong on this land, that it's stolen, then you're not going to risk your life to fight for the country. Now, on Thursday night, we discussed this new research that shows that only sixteen percent of gen Z said they defend our nation that they go to fight if there was a war. Now, this is a huge problem, as Liberal MP Keith Wallahan spoke about on the.
Speaker 3: Show disturbs me.
Speaker 14: Is the trend When this survey was last done, the numbers that were willing to serve were higher, So the trend is down. At the heart of that is a confusion, a confusion and institutions about ugly nationalism which no one likes. Millions of people have died from that. But healthy patriotism and we need to lean into healthy patriotism.
Speaker 3: And it makes sense.
Speaker 2: I mean, why would you risk your life for a land that you are constantly told you don't belong to and you're reminded of this every day. And this of course is also impacted on the Australian flag. Once a proud symbol of unity and freedom. The left has smeared our flag as a shameful and racist symbol, and many Australians are now too embarrassed to even.
Speaker 3: Fly the flag on Australia Day. Now.
Speaker 2: Friends of ours personally on the central coast of New South Wales put up the flag at their home on Australia Day. They do so every single year, and for this they've become.
Speaker 3: A target of local youths who.
Speaker 2: Turn up at their house and harass them at night on the Australia Day weekend. It's become so terrifying that this year, after the first night of the Australia Day long weekend, when they were again targeted by thugs, they had to hire private security to stand outside for the following nights or because they put up the Australian flag with pride. This is the climate of fear for some normal, regular Australians that the radical left has created now. Of course, the white supremacists who rudely interrupted ANZAC Day ceremonies in Melbourne are vile, disrespectful and have no place in our country.
Speaker 3: I wish they didn't live here.
Speaker 2: But overdoing the welcome to country is also creating its own kind of division, bringing its own problems of making Australians feel unwelcome in their home and therefore less willing to stand up and fight for it in a time of war, at a time, at an age when our adversaries are on the rise, we need more patriotism and not less.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I spoke about these issues and much more with Peter Dutton a short time ago in Sydney. In our interview, he hit out it the hostile and aggressive journalists covering the election campaign. He accused them of being biased activists and not journalists. He also said the national polls, which favor Albanezi, were being used as a tool of campaigning by Labor and by the media. And he did say, in his words, there's a big disparity between the national polls and his internal Liberal Party research. They're tracking in key seats, and he says the millions of undecided voters will determine the outcome of this election.
Speaker 3: Well, here's our interview from a little earlier. Peter Dutton, thank.
Speaker 1: You so much for your time, pleasure show. Thank you.
Speaker 2: The demonization campaign against you from Labor has been intense. From Mediscare, the cost of nuclear even claiming that you're going to have overrituallyllion dollars in debt, which their own forecasts show. Do you think in future campaigns there should be some sort of election integrity Commissioner well Sarry.
Speaker 9: What it says to me is that if the government was so proud and so pleased of their last three years, if people were better off and this government had delivered for them, they'd be talking about that plan. But of course they're not, and that's why they're throwing mard, It's why they're running the scare campaigns, completely baseless, but people will look at it and superficially accept some of the claims being made. I just think we need to push back and we need to talk about our positive plan. But there's such a dishonesty and I've frankly never seen a Prime minister capable as Anthony Albenize is of staring down the camera and just lying repeatedly without blinking. And I think Australians though, sense that, and I do think there is a turning of the mood and I've since that over the last few days as well as we've moved around. As we've moved around the.
Speaker 2: Country, what about some sort of monitor though integrity commissioner, or even a truth in advertising for future campaigns, because some have argued that the scare campaigns against you are even more egregious than they were.
Speaker 3: Against Scott Morrison. You know the number they've done on you.
Speaker 9: I think, look, there can be a time for that debate. I think the focus now is on how do we win this election and how can we save our country from three more years of absolutely terrible government. How can we stop the Labor Green's government introducing the tax on unrealized capital gains. I don't think people have heard the message yet that if you've got shares, or if you've got a house and you have an increase in the value of those shares of that house, they're going to tax.
Speaker 1: You before you actually sell it.
Speaker 9: So you're going to be paying the tax before you actually realize the game. When people realize that the Prime Minister promise before the last election that he wouldn't change tax arrangements in relation to superannuation, but now will and how would you believe him in relation to the commitments on negative gearing or taxes around the family home. It's just I think is a real sharpening of the focus over the next couple of days. And if people look at what is on offer, they know that they can't afford three more years of Anthony Albanzi, and they know that we've got a positive plan to provide assistance now to clean up Labour's economic mess.
Speaker 2: Why not go negative against them with your own negative campaign on policies like you just mentioned on capital gains tax, but also even on medi scal I mean, we've seen Labor use your own line against you in their advertising that you'll need a credit card as well as the Medicare card. That was your line at our Sky News debate. Labour's now running ouds on that saying that you'll need your credit card under Peter Dutt.
Speaker 9: Well, again, I just hope people can see through the dishonesty of it, and for us, we don't need to resort to the lives and the trickery and the deceptiveness that the Prime Minister's running.
Speaker 1: This campaign in.
Speaker 9: So we'll call out the lives and we'll highlight the Labour's agenda in relation to tax. But I think this election is about how do we manage the economy. Who was best able to manage the economy, who was best able to keep us safe and as Austrainds focus on that, I believe very strongly they'll decide that that's the coalition.
Speaker 3: You've also faced a very hostile media.
Speaker 2: It's extraordinary to watch the daily press conferences. Albanize has often given what we all call Dorothy Dixon's whereas you face hostile interrogations.
Speaker 3: From the press pack.
Speaker 2: You've described the Guardian and the ABC as the hate media. Do you think that sort of media and others like them actually hate mainstream Australian values.
Speaker 9: I just think they're so biased and many of them just activists not journalists, that their position becomes counterproductive and they're playing to a particular audience to a Green voter. And frankly, as the Prime Minister's demonstrated, his whole government has been about how do we please the inner city Green voter in Sydney and Melbourne.
Speaker 1: That's why he's.
Speaker 9: Taken such a soft stance in relation to anti Semitism. It's why he's allowed the preferencing of Labor Green, of Green voters, of Green members, rather knowing that they're anti Semitic and knowing that they're Jew haters, that's the reality. And knowing that their economic policies are going to harm people in the suburbs and in regional areas, but try and confer some advantage on green voters in Graindler or in Sydney.
Speaker 1: I think people see through that, and I think the.
Speaker 9: Left wing media, frankly by polling day I think will be counterproductive of what they're doing.
Speaker 2: I mean, on the cost of living issue at the debate last night that was overwhelmingly given to alban Easy. Do you really think those voters were undecided?
Speaker 3: It didn't seem like it.
Speaker 9: Well, I was a little emotional because there was one journalist out of the Cidney Morning Herald that gave it to me that said, I the election and it's about.
Speaker 3: The nicest thing election.
Speaker 9: Certainly not the election, but that was unusual. I was the kindest thing they've said about me during this campaign. So look, I felt good about the election. I think sorry about the debate. I felt good about our policy that we're putting forward. And yeah, look I think there's a long way to go in this campaign.
Speaker 3: On national security.
Speaker 2: I mean, you said a moment ago that this is about Australians feeling safe. We saw the revelations today that Russia did put in a formal request to Indonesia back in February and the Albanese government knew about this yet publicly the Prime Minister has described this as a fabrication, as Russian propaganda. Other labor ministers have even said that if you believe it, it's like believing in the Lockness monster.
Speaker 1: Well, is this a.
Speaker 2: Prime minister who doesn't think the Australian public deserve to know about our national security risks?
Speaker 9: I think what a dem streitch is that this prime Minister's prepared to lie about anything and those around him, Murray Watt and Katie Gallaher and others are prepared to go along with this cover up.
Speaker 1: There's been a.
Speaker 9: Boat arrival on the evidence that we've seen. They don't comment on it, they don't provide any information in relation to it. Australians deserve to know this detail before they vote. And if the Prime Minister is being deceptive about our national security, what else would you be deceptive about, well, most other things, it would seem.
Speaker 2: And again on China last night, he couldn't even say that China was Australia's top national security threat. That's just an obvious fact. Do you think he's trying to appease China here? And this sort of submission towards a hostile dictatorship?
Speaker 3: I mean, is that even an appropriate from a prime minister?
Speaker 1: Sherry.
Speaker 9: What I think it shows is people understand that this prime minister is weak. As John Howard has rightly said on a number of occasion, people leaves Anthony Elbanezi to be out of his depth as Prime minister. And I think the deception and the lies are now on full display for people to see the character. I also think people hark back now to the voice and they remember the deception that took place there. The fact that people will promise the detail from the voice. The Prime Minister this day hasn't provided.
Speaker 1: All of that detail. So there's a lot that is at stake at this election.
Speaker 9: And I hope for the sake of our country that we can change the government so we can restore integrity, that we can manage our economy so that we can bring inflation down and deal with the cost of living crisis. Deliver the twenty five cent a letter cut in fuel, Deliver the twelve hundred dollars tax rebate.
Speaker 1: And keep our country safe.
Speaker 9: And I don't think Anthony Albanezi can look the Australian public in the eye and say to them that.
Speaker 1: He's going to deliver cheaper anything.
Speaker 9: I think what is obvious is that the only thing he could believe the Prime Minister on is when he tells you that the cost of everything's going to continue to go.
Speaker 2: I think one of your best policies on the cost of living was the idea you mentioned to Hold Kelly and Dennis Shanahan about indexation of tax brackets in line with inflation. Why not put this forward earlier in the campaign and have it a key feature And are you serious about this?
Speaker 9: Very very serious about it, because it's a thief in the night, and people when they get a pay rise, or when they work some overtime, or when they get a promotion a work they've moved into the next tax bracket, they pay more for more tax just for doing the same job. That's unfair and we do need to address it, but it comes at a very significant cost. And when John Howard and others were introducing tax reform, they identified the savings alongside that expenditure. They never promised to reform the tax system from opposition.
Speaker 1: They did it when they were in government.
Speaker 3: Do you worried about budget repairs?
Speaker 9: Well, I'm making sure that we do it in a responsible way and I'm making sure, as we've said, that we can clean up Labour's mess, that we can get the budget back to balance and then into ser and along that journey we can introduce support for income tax relief.
Speaker 1: Don't forget that when the Prime Minister.
Speaker 9: Talks about stage three of tax cuts, it was a coalition government that legislated and implemented stages one and two, and legislated stage three and had the ability to work out how we were going to pay for it. The Prime Minister has claimed all of that as his own, but that was a liberal government, a coalition government that introduced that tax reform, that tax relief for Austraans.
Speaker 2: Do you think I mean, you've indicated that there is a disconnect between the national polls and what you're seeing in the internal key seat tracking. Is this still the case four days out from election day? And also do you think the narrative from the national polls are being used as a tool of campaigning by Labor and the media.
Speaker 9: Well, I've got no doubt about the second point in relation to the first point. Yes, there's still a big disparity between what we're seeing the track polling in marginal seats where we've got hard work local members, where there's a lot of anger against the government, particularly in outer metro and regional areas, and I don't think that's being picked up in the national polls. And for many of the media companies it's very expensive to do that seat by seat polling analysis. The political parties obviously are doing it, and it paints a much more positive picture for us than what the published polling does. But there's a long way to go, many millions of people who are still undecided and will make their decision over the course of the next few days.
Speaker 2: Do you think this could be a repeat of twenty nineteen? Are are you hoping that you can still win well?
Speaker 9: I was speaking to Lucy Wicks today up on the Central Coast in Robertson. Now, she's been around politics for a long time, she's seen.
Speaker 1: Good and bad elections.
Speaker 9: It's her assessment, as it is frankly of a number of other marginal seat members.
Speaker 1: For herm I have a great deal of respect and.
Speaker 9: They've been in different campaigns who say that the sentiment on pre polling is much more positive than it was at the last election, and it would have to be more negative to reflect the polling at the moment. So ultimately, people are going to vote on what they believe is in their best interests and in our country's best interests. I want to make sure that we can keep Austraian safe. I want to keep our country safe.
Speaker 1: I want to.
Speaker 9: Reduce crime in local communities. I want to make sure that we can restore the dream of hime ownership, provide immediate relief to taxpayers who are really doing it tough at the moment, and also sort out the energy wreck that Chris Bowen and Anthony Albanzi have created. That that is just destroying the economy as we speak. And I don't want the changes around the abolition of negative gearing and the tax on unrealized capital gains that Albanzi is proposing in this election.
Speaker 2: Just finally, four days to go until wholing day. Many of your supporters are worried you can't win.
Speaker 3: I'm part of the Jewish community.
Speaker 2: Many in the Jewish community tell me that they can't take another three years under Penny Wang. Tony Burke and Anthony Alberinezi that even talk about moving overseas because it is so deeply personal and they think it is a national security threat for their children at Jewish schools. What's your message to those voters and others who are worried that you're not going to get there on Saturday.
Speaker 9: Say to those Australians, please keep the faith and please continue to spread the word. But say to other Australians who are undecided going into the next few days and right up until six pm on Saturday night, listen to the experience of the Jewish community. Listen to how they were treated by this prime minister. Listen to how they were sacrificed in the pursuit of political advantage from green inclined labor voters. The Jewish community was treated absolutely appallingly like nothing I've ever seen in my life, and certainly not in my time in politics.
Speaker 1: They were treated.
Speaker 9: With disdain and the abomination that was the anti Semitism ricking ball through our national security and social settings in this country has been one of the worst examples of government that I've ever seen. And the Prime ministers should be held to account for that. And if you know somebody from the Jewish community or you in disbelief as we have been at the treatment of people in the Jewish community. This is not the time to reward Anthony Albanezi for it. This is the time to hold him to account for the way in which he treated Australians of Jewish heritage with complete and utter disdain and at this election he should pay a price for that.
Speaker 3: Really appreciate your time.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, Thank you, Sherry, very much. Thank you.
Speaker 2: So that's Peter Dutton and he still believes he is in the game and that this is a competitive election. We'll see in a few more days, and don't forget you can watch and must watch Peter Dutton right here on Sky News and a no holds barred Ask me anything with Paul Murray tomorrow night, right after this show at nine o'clock. Now, let's return to this issue of Russia's involvement with Indonesia and what the government knew and when and joining minaw Australian Strategic Policy Institute Senior analyst Malcolm Davis.
Speaker 3: Malcolm, great to see you again. Look, is this concerning that the.
Speaker 2: Albanezy government knew about this security threat from Russia that they wanted more military long raise missiles on Indonesian territory, but they kept it from Australians.
Speaker 15: Well, it is concerning, but it's not surprising in the sense that the government would not want to talk about such a development because it would completely undermine their policy of essentially a drift forward in defense spending up to around two point three percent by twenty thirty three. If you've got Russia deploying long range bombers that are nuclear capable a mere thirteen hundred klometers north of Darwin, that would really send a strong message that the government does need to do a lot more about defense spending. And I'm really getting the strong impression of this government doesn't really want to do anything about defense beending beyond this steady, slow drift upwards to two point three three percent by twenty thirty three. That's inadequate, it's not good enough, and I think that's the reason why the government really didn't want to talk about Russian bombers operating out of Biak Island, and.
Speaker 2: Perhaps why they why the Prime Minister wouldn't even mention in the word threat last night when it came to China. Yet we have seen very clear aggression from China towards our defense personnel. Some have been injured, others at risk of a serious collision. Do you think the sort of response we've seen from the Prime Minister is adequate?
Speaker 3: Here is this about winning votes?
Speaker 15: Look, I think we need to as a nation, we need to understand that Australia is in a pre war period. We are in a period leading up to a major confrontation in our region, potentially within this decade, between China and the United States over Taiwan. And I think that the Australian government, the current Australian government, has not done enough to prepare the nation for that continuency if it should emerge in the next two to three years time. And I think that for the government and for the Prime Minister to essentially say, look, it's important to have balance and it's important to maintain stabilization.
Speaker 3: Can I just pick you up on that.
Speaker 2: Sorry to interrupt, Malcolm, but can I just pick you up on that. I mean, the thinking has been as you say, that China could be making a move in Taiwan in the next two to three years.
Speaker 3: That's been around.
Speaker 2: But now there's the question of whether Donald Trump would come to Taiwan's defense.
Speaker 3: At all, and even.
Speaker 2: The extent to which the United States would come to Australia's aid. I believe America would come to Australia's aid, but certainly it's not conclusive that the US would back in Taiwan, and so it might allow China's continued rise in the region.
Speaker 15: Well, let's look at those two scenarios. I mean, I think there are people in the Trump administration that would strongly support the US intervening to defend Taiwan. And if the US did that, then the US would expect us to step up and support the United States and other allies, including Japan and the Philippines, and so we would find ourselves in a war with China. If, on the other hand, you have the scenario where the Trump administration chooses not to support Taiwan and basically China is allowed to take Taiwan unfettered, then you have an emboldened, aggressive China that can start to push further outwards into Asia, including towards our direction. And I think I have a scenario is bad, but I think the second scenario is worse because you don't have that US support.
Speaker 2: Indeed, all right, Malcolm, and I've got to commend you on your fashion choice.
Speaker 3: We're matching in maroon or merlow. You're in the color of the season.
Speaker 2: Thanks for your tom Thanks and still to carve Australia's triple A credit rating under threat from Labour's big spending agenda. Angust Taylor will be on the show live plus. Bronwan Bishop gives her prediction on who will win this election and by how many seats.
Speaker 3: That's after this quick break. Welcome back, well for our election week coverage.
Speaker 2: Let's bring in now former Speaker of the House from Bishop and Sky News' host Joe Hildebrand. And it turns out this fashion theme is continuing tonight.
Speaker 3: We're all in book run a.
Speaker 8: Unity ticket, Run a unity ticket.
Speaker 2: I want to get your reaction first to my interview with Peter Dutton tonight, Bromwen, what did you make of his comments, particularly about the hostile press gallery, about Labour's smear campaign and the fact that he says internal Liberal party polling is so different from what the national polls are reflecting.
Speaker 16: Well, I thought he was wrong in what he had to say and I have to say on the ground where I have been whether it's in West Australia, or whether it's in my old seat of mckller, or whether it's not other seats, I find a different attitude. For instance, on Antack Day, I found a lot of people came up to me and wanted to raise the Russian question because they did not believe the government and they were threatened by it, and they were right, and they were right as it turned out to be. So I think there are many When I look at the polling results and I see one nation on eight percent, I think is that because there are certain seats where they're polling very high, which then distorts the rest of the primary votes, particularly with regard to Liberal So I'm also interested in the fact, and you've pointed it out that the Polster for News poll is actually the Labor Party's Polster and has been since two thousand and as far back as twenty and fifteen credited with the strategy for overturning Perite. I just wonder how that interaction works would.
Speaker 3: Be so I experiency around.
Speaker 16: That, and I think, as I've said again and again, that I think is being used as a tool.
Speaker 2: And Dutton, by the way, I put that to Dutton tonight if you heard any immediately said absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 16: And the idea is pump it out there a bit like they did with Kamala Harris to try and get the money pouring in on a regular basis. Then if you say, look, they're going to win, they're going to win, get on my bandwork and don't worry about anyone else. And it is to me definitely a tool and different from what it's been in the.
Speaker 2: Past, because there are some pragmatic millionaires in billionaires who wait to see which way the election looks like it's going before they decide who to back with their money.
Speaker 8: They're already backing the tials, not all of them.
Speaker 2: But Joe, I want to ask you though about this welcome to country, you know push from the coalition. Do you think that's a way to energize the base or bring back some voters who might have drifted to one nation and the other cons.
Speaker 8: Look, I think it will energize the base, but I don't think it will bring any undecided voters to the coalition's banner. And I also think I think there's a really legitimate debate to be had about it, and that debate was ongoing. But to sort of pick up on the coattails of a bunch of neo Nazis who.
Speaker 1: Boo and hissed misleading.
Speaker 3: But everyone's condemned the neo Nazis, everybody.
Speaker 8: But I don't think you give them it's like saying it's like saying after October the seventh, you know, you know, look, I don't agree with what hermus did, but they do have some points.
Speaker 3: Is not the same at all. Everyone has condemned those Neo Nazis said it.
Speaker 8: Was absolutely but I think now I think, in.
Speaker 3: Fact, it was disgusting to what It.
Speaker 8: Was absolutely disgusting to watch, and it was disgraceful, and I think to reward it by then sort of saying, oh, but they do make a good point. I think that is, I don't.
Speaker 16: Disgusting to listen to a veteran express his concerned do conflict is listening to for the Labor Party. And now you cannot say that a veteran who is offended at a service for Antac Day is somehow, in any way, shape or form associated with people who are declared nero Nazis. Do not say this was the cause of it. There is a genuine concern in the community and to try and push it off with that spin line is not really it lets you down.
Speaker 8: Have you ever heard can I ask honestly, have you ever ever heard or seen behavior like that at a dawn service ever before?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 16: I haven't.
Speaker 8: And now you've decided at the right time to have a debate about the issue that those protesters were pushing.
Speaker 2: But as I said, just Center Price, Just Center Napa, Chipper Price has been raising this issue since during the voice I mean she's she's continually said that there are too many welcome to countries, that it's creating more division because it turns people off them well.
Speaker 16: And also there's confusion between welcome to country and acknowledgment of country, which is totally different. Now every morning, as Speaker of the House, I used to read an acknowledgment of country, which was to acknowledge tribes who had been in the Canber area as custodians. Custodians is a word that doesn't imply ownership.
Speaker 3: It says you.
Speaker 16: Looked after it. And then there's welcome to country and taken to extremes by people who that demand rent and reparations and sovereignty. Sovereignty is a Western concept developed probably in sixteen forty eight with the pretty of Westphalia. You can go back to fifteen fifty five if you like.
Speaker 1: But it did not.
Speaker 16: It came to this country with settlement. So there's a lot of confusion in the language it's used, which makes no sense at all.
Speaker 2: All Right, I want to while we still have a couple of minutes left, Joe, get your feeling for where this election is headed. How confident is alban easy feeling? How many seats does.
Speaker 3: He think he's going to win this election in the eighties? Is that what he is?
Speaker 8: I wouldn't think in the eighties now, but I think in the highest seventies, I think it will be majority government. It's seventy eight now. I think that the seats that they lose will probably be offset by a couple of seats they could pick up. This Yeah, Brisbane, I think they will definitely get. They definitely want to get Griffith. They are pretty optimistic about seats like Bullwinkle, stirts of possibility in South Australia.
Speaker 4: And I think.
Speaker 8: That the polls show that. I don't think there's any reason to cast dis versions on the integrity of the Poles. That's not like there are other Roague poles that point to a coalition victory. All the poles are saying pretty much the same thing. That includes News Pole, that includes red Bridge, that includes you, Gav, that includes the tracking pole that News Corp Is doing with red Bridge and extent, which shows that support for the coalition has gone from fifty two percent in February to forty five point five percent and that's in the twenty marginal seats, So that is not a national pole. That is all in target seats, and that is the second week in a row that that exact same result has come out, and that is a turn around from a fifty two to forty eight coalitions way.
Speaker 16: Very interesting when Alberanzi himself said that none of the other poles mattered except Newsbowl Labours, which is.
Speaker 8: Label because it's always a minute less get.
Speaker 2: The official predictions from both of you. So, Joe, you're predicting labor majority government. Ye can you what about You've said high seventies for labor. What about for the Liberal Party?
Speaker 8: Look, it's hard to know. I think, to be honest, it's a quick prediction. Maybe they get to sixty sixty.
Speaker 3: You think they pick up three seats.
Speaker 8: Maybe maybe more, maybe more.
Speaker 3: When what about your seat prediction?
Speaker 16: Well, I think if the voters determined and don't come by the way, a liar in the lodge, and I think Dutton can get up to thirteen seats, so.
Speaker 2: He gets to sixty eight high sixties and Labor down.
Speaker 16: To well could be on the same high sixties.
Speaker 2: So hung parliament scenario there right, Well a week from now, will be here what it's all right? And obviously we already saw Peter Dutton's response to the national polls the appointment.
Speaker 3: Joe was just saying that Dutton disagrees with it.
Speaker 2: He says they're a tool of campaigning and it's not what internal liberal tracking is showing. We will know on Saturday Saturday night here on Sky News. I'll be in Brisbane by the way with the Dutton HQ. I'll be there with Paul Murray. All right, Roman Bishop right now still to come. Trump has loomed large in the Australian election, but has he had an even bigger impact on candidates?
Speaker 3: Kosher data will join me later.
Speaker 2: Plus the Albereze government risking our triple A credit rating.
Speaker 3: I'll talk about that with Angus Taylor next.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, and let's bring in now Shadow treasurer Angus Taylor. Angus, thank you very much for your time on this final week of the election campaign.
Speaker 3: I want to ask you about the.
Speaker 2: Australian newspapers analysis today of alban Eazy spending compared to bill shortens in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 6: Well, it's clear that alban EASi has spending huge windfalls four hundred billion dollars of revenue windfalls that have come in since Labor has come to power, and they're spending all of that. And in fact, what we've seen today with their costings which have come out ours have come out in a couple of days, is that they're continuing to spend. And in fact, what we've actually seen is a pathway towards one point two trillion dollars of debt. The deficits over the next four years, including this year, come to one hundred and eighty just short of one hundred and eighty billion dollars of spending Shari. And this is a Labor party that inherited monthly balance. When they came into power, we were seeing balance in the budget. They're taking it over a cliff now. S and P is telling us the Rating Agency that there's real risks now to our ratings. If our rating has dropped from triple A, we will see impacts on interest rates in this country, impacts on government interest rates, but also interest rates for the economy more generally. And that's a very dangerous place to be taking Australia. It's why we've opposed over three years, pick you up at one hundred million dollars of bad labor spending.
Speaker 2: The Credit Agency SMP has wind against big spending, but it also had a pretty harsh message for the coalition as well on spending.
Speaker 6: You know what's your response to s sure they haven't seen that well, I would say, take a look at one hundred billion dollars of spending that we are posed, both on budget and off budget. One hundred billion dollars is spending and these are important decisions that we've made along the way. We're not going to build twenty eight thousand kilometers of transmission lines like Chris Bowen wants to do, criss crossing our beautiful agricultural country across Australia. We don't need to do that. In our energy plan, which is a lower cost energy plan, we're not going to spend money on housing programs that have not delivered a single house that Australian family is living in Shari when these are programs that make no sense. We're not going to go with Chris Bowen's green hydrogen dream that is not delivered and won't deliver manufacturing programs where they invest in quantum computing companies out of the West Coast of the US, and this is not how Australian taxpayers money should be spent. You'll see that in our costings. You'll also see lower taxes, tax breaks for small businesses to invest. We won't be hitting the Australians with a superannuation.
Speaker 3: Tax just on your costings.
Speaker 2: Do you have an earlier time frame for when you return the budget to balance?
Speaker 3: Can you tell us what that is?
Speaker 6: Well, what I will say now is that you're going to says sneak preview of what you're going to see in the costings this week is that it'll be a stronger budget position than labors. And we'll also re establish the fiscal rules, the rules around the budget that have in place since the nineteen nineties but Jim Chalmers threw out in his first budget, and of course there'll be people watching this tonight, Shari who run businesses, and of course everyone's in a household and you have to have rules to manage your budget. People understand that it's just common sense. Well, Jim charmers throughout the rule book in his first budget, and that's why he's losing control. He's got no control over his colleagues. If they want to spend, they spend. And it's why we're seeing our budget going in exactly the wrong direction under a treasurer who's had no private sector experience. He's out of his depth and he's out of touch, all right.
Speaker 2: I spoke to Peter Darton earlier about the policy of having indexation of tax brackets, and he says, in his words, he is very serious about this policy, described racket creep.
Speaker 3: As a thief in the night. Are you committed? Are you as committed to this policy as he is?
Speaker 6: One hundred percent. I mean, what we've seen under labor is a three and a half thousand dollars per person increase in the taxes they're paying because of Labour's homegrown inflation. That's what we've saent already now that will continue to go up in the coming years and the result of that is Australians are paying a lot more personal income tax. Now, the truth is we've got a budget now that is a complete mess. One hundred and eighty billion dollars of debits on our way to one point two trillion dollars of debt. So we've got to do the hard work of fixing it, as liberals do. This is what we do when we get into government. And at the same time we've got to fix the household budget and make sure we've got money to defend the nation and protect the nation in the most uncertain times since the Second World War. So that's a balance, but we'll be re establishing that balance because that balance has been lost under a bad labor government.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the thought of a trillion dollars of debt is truly terrifying.
Speaker 3: Angus Taylor, appreciate your time. Thanks so much. Now, don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: How Donald Trump's popularity is faring with Americans and abroad.
Speaker 3: And how is impacting on the Canadian election? Koshergata would join me next.
Speaker 2: All right, well, I'm joined now by Sky News contributed Koshergada Kosher. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Khney is now reportedly looking to be re elected in his own right, despite the challenge from Conservative leader Pierre Polyver. I mean, much like here, Trump has overshadowed their campaigns. So how is the Trump factor playing out in Canada's election.
Speaker 17: Chary, It's been a pretty stunning collapse in terms of the polling, where Pierre poliev has had some twenty point lead just three months ago and it's sort of flipped now where he's four points underwater.
Speaker 14: That's quite remarkable.
Speaker 17: Some of that consolidation is expected to happen always in polling is he get closer to the date, But the Trump effect is definitely a big part of it. Tariff's very familiar story right now, big deal for Canada because so much of their economy is reliant on exporting to the US, and he didn't seem to really be able to harness that message and show enough contrast I think from the incumbent party. And then the other thing is I think the Trump effect just has created this external bogeyman that allows the left wing the Liberal Party to point to and deflect away from their own issues where they've really not been very popular in recent years under the Trudeau years. So it's given them an escape hatch, if you will, and that seems to be coming into play and it's sort of been a life saver, I think for that party and being able to flip around the election.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Trump had an historic meeting with Zelenski over the weekend, just one on one. They were in Rome for the Pope's funeral. What can you tell us about their meeting and how it did lead to a boulder response from Trump towards proto.
Speaker 17: Yes, it's very interesting. It was reportedly only fifteen minutes. I think the iconography and the imagery that's come out of it is something that's going to go down in the history books because you've got the setting of the Vatican and the two men with their different staff sitting there and sort of it's a backdrop of peace, if you will. It was also interesting that President mccron of France was meant to be in the meeting and then at the last minute was asked not to be. Reportedly, and the empty seat is visible, but it does seem like we don't know. They haven't given any specifics, but PRIMEA, which has been an issue with Silanskin Trump have been at loggerheads about the willingness to how much of a concession to give Russia on that matter. It sounds like there's been a little bit of headway made in that effect, and maybe that's given Trump the right to go back in a more aggressive stance to Russia. But I think there's a lot of wood to chop left before we see how this story ultimately ends.
Speaker 2: Perhaps not having jd vance in that meeting led to a better outcome for Ukraine as well, Right, Koshagada, appreciate.
Speaker 3: Your time, Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: All right, make sure you tune in tomorrow night at eight o'clock. Big shows every night this week before the election on Saturday. But right now, stay tuned because Paul Murray is up right now