Speaker 1: Well, coups on back, mate, that's been Where have you been Washington? P and G and a terrible bout of influenza and you've.
Speaker 2: Come back with a terrible haircut on the way.
Speaker 3: Let me well, then those drone shots in P and G where it's happy with them.
Speaker 1: I looked and I just went, Jesus, the boys might have a point. But it will happen, mate, I'm too coop. It'll happen. Don't worry. I mean not that long ago. I was actually considering getting a perm at one point. And then suddenly what happens is it just starts. You start to see little things happen.
Speaker 4: So you you're trying to grow new hair.
Speaker 3: Now you get rid of my wife.
Speaker 1: She started buying all these concoctions, but it was doing nothing.
Speaker 3: It'll happen, mate, You'll be and I guarantee you.
Speaker 1: You give you one of those blokes that's got one hair and you'll just you'll put it around like a turban. And every time the Norris change happened, I'll be just this one here, just.
Speaker 3: Like a lassu.
Speaker 2: Anyway, the last three shows, you haven't been here to be in the highest rating, so.
Speaker 4: Continue it's bullshit.
Speaker 1: Continue bullshit a state of origin, big big difference, Coops.
Speaker 3: From your angle, what do you think.
Speaker 2: Well, it's almost like criticism sharpens the sword for New South Wales and praise just softens the mindset slightly. And in origin decider like if you just get a little bit of difference of what you've done for two games previous. I think New South Wales played the way that we probably all expected them to play throughout the series. They got it done in the biggest moment, I thought, clearly, obviously great painhas terrific. The back roll is just annoyed the New Queensland halves, and there's just a couple of errors at Queensland that just cost them big time. And when you give a bit like Game one, New South Wales had all those errors to.
Speaker 4: Start the game.
Speaker 2: Queensland dominated field positions called points and New South Wales did exactly the same thing.
Speaker 3: I thought. I thought New South bal was really simplified. They were attack to Coops, I thought, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, and I reckon, we see that the player that I think symbolizes that most was Nathan, you know, and Coops you were Nathan very very similar players, and Nathan plays in a system like your Melbourne system at Penrith at club Land, which is very complex.
Speaker 3: It's a complex system.
Speaker 1: There's you know, the players are like pawns. Everyone is in their exact right spot, hitting the gap at the right point. It's very hard and that but that and that type of system let people don't takes you a long while to master.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a couple of moments to me early on that said Nathan was in for a big game. When we ran out in the field, like he smiled, he looked like he was just dialed in and nothing was going to phase him. And there was a state when he scored that first try that was a statement. That was statement that New South Wales's best player is on in Queensland. You're going to have to go up another couple of gears to stop him.
Speaker 1: The similarities between you and you and Nathan, I see that through the difficulty in the past that Nathan and Teddy have had trying to form combination. I remember the first half of the year you guys played together. It was like you were playing one style of football, he was trying to play the other.
Speaker 3: Eventually he's got it right. And as far as.
Speaker 1: That relationship in this game, you know, we're playmakers and we have a playmaker bias. So I was always like, come on, Teddy, you've got to bend and Nathan, you got to play Nathan ball. On the other night, Nathan played more Teddy ball. It was like straight a lot of direct running.
Speaker 2: To talk about the system, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what system you're in place.
Speaker 4: If you're a spine.
Speaker 2: As soon as you get a quick play the ball, play north South, not east west. Take him on early and just react to quick momentum. I thought Payton Hass was brilliant, but it was just a big epic context like how good is origin as a decider. I don't miss football at all. But I'll tell you what, when the game kicked off, that's the type of game you'd like to be involved.
Speaker 1: If you look the Blues tries coops you said about playing North South, just about all New South Wales tries.
Speaker 3: Whereas the result of.
Speaker 1: Playing through Coinsland, it's very different to the first couple of games.
Speaker 3: And you know, I mean he's one right foot.
Speaker 4: That's a halfbacks stream to start the game.
Speaker 3: It is close.
Speaker 2: The line back roll comes off, sideways, run forward, beat them, score and that just set the time like annoying months to dear Lean Martin and clear is just you know, the beneficiuy of some pretty good interchange of passing. But it was a great start from New South Wales. Powerful and I thought Reuben Cotton made an error. It was almost like which team blink first, kind of made that era at New South Wales scored two tries.
Speaker 4: That was pretty soft, but that was the difference at the end of the beginning of the game.
Speaker 3: Quickly it's talking. I mean a lot's been said about it.
Speaker 1: It was there's no doubt like when you look at there was that angle where you could see it Flicky's fingers and they said, oh, but the other angle it went and you go, but hang on first angle the seats it touched off.
Speaker 3: Three key moments we'll do.
Speaker 1: My first key moment is that coops for the first minutes of the game, New South Wales were really under the pump. I thought that Queensland were dominating yardage that looked very good. And then sometimes just the tiniest thing will happen, just a little thing, just that little pebble in the pond, and you see the residual.
Speaker 3: Effect and it was Jack Bostov.
Speaker 1: Bostock just accelerates between defenders here like that is really simple, but okay, gets up, gets it six again and New South Wales could not get field positioned. Just that simple run, that tiny little penetration there give him six more. After that, New south Wales dominated yardage for the next for the entire person.
Speaker 2: If he doesn't bounce off his left and get through to defenders, Nicker rag dolls him backwards. Yeah, and that means they're what twenty meters off where the next play the ball means means they're twenty meters further away from the kick. One of the moments for me was Mitch Moses kicking game just in general, like if there was any field position or defensive lits win from Queensland, his kick made it neutral.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: And it was good play from Nathan just to say, hey, Mitch, whenever inside forty you take care of it. Because he was turning average sets into good sets, he was turning bad sets into neutral sets.
Speaker 4: He just kicked the absolute cover off the.
Speaker 1: Football and it really helped Nathan out because I mean, Nathan has suffered from soft tissue injuries and I got no doubt as a result of how much work.
Speaker 3: He put to his long kicks and short kicks. The alders to relieve.
Speaker 1: Himself for that long kicking game and just focus on the attacking kicks.
Speaker 4: It's exactly how we thought would happen.
Speaker 2: In Game two, we spoke about Mitch Moe's being the five eight and just doing this like honestly, like he's kicking a different football at times compared to Sam Walker and Monster.
Speaker 3: During this game, another moment for me was Stephen Crichton. Stephen Crichton.
Speaker 1: One of the things that defines to find the first two games was the innability of New South Wales right aage to control that favorite side with Nathan with Kaylyn just wing into the left. Crichton coming to the side was vital. There was a couple of defensive reads early and I think gave confidence this one. He just backs off a little bit, you know, he doesn't commit himself to a decision.
Speaker 3: Up another one here out banged. Now these ones.
Speaker 1: Really interesting good center defense. It was just the presence of him here. There is genuine opportunity there. But you see him just go up and that just spooked Monster again.
Speaker 2: They are only little body movements, but that's elite defense. Like those players at Queensland were thrown at him. That was pretty good. Cap Well Pong Munthster in and around it, and he had his head on a swivel and made some good defensive played. That is Stephen Krichton at his best. He is the best center in the world and defensively it is hard to get past. He's had some issues, but that game was a moment for me. I already said it was the rubn coottter error to start with in a big game. Origin decided these two teams were ferocious at each other and it's almost like who is the first team to blink? And Cotda is a beast, Codda is a worker and as soon as he dropped that ball, it was just a little win, a little victory for New South Wales.
Speaker 4: So I think that set the tide for the game.
Speaker 1: Kem Murray, there's another moment for me that Kem Murray try. That was just evidence of how New South Wales was winning the yardage game and how they're direct North South type of football was working. I mean, as far as Origin standards, I don't like the years that the word soft, but.
Speaker 4: That is.
Speaker 2: Adam Phil Blake came onto the field started causing some rough speed and the fact that is it Reuben Cottter there just allowed space. Kem Murray has the ability to move his body in a way that he can get through gaps and a meter out for the line to have Ruben Kotta just a meter off of space allowed Murray to spin turn and get that ball down. That was a big play actually, because it went from being a competitive game on the school board like Queensland school one, like they did before halftime, that one blew it out to a dominant start.
Speaker 3: Yep yeap.
Speaker 1: Certainly some of the key performances Paynt hass was. I mean, it's very very rare that he doesn't have a dominant game. But what was interesting about this one Laurie had him operating wher in a wider field position to get at the east defenders.
Speaker 3: Haven't seen him use much like that before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, steamrolled Camera Munster a couple of times. He was enormous. He was so good. Nathan gets a lot of apps. But the couple of key performers for me is not necessarily the new South Wales halfback. It's this guy, but that that's one of one with a monthster on the edge.
Speaker 4: That is game plan.
Speaker 1: And then funny coops like we look at tackle counts a lot of times aren't accurate. I think attempted tackles should count because I mean, if you look at Pain every time he takes the ball up, you know he's basically until mostly he's got five guys attempting.
Speaker 2: Look at this, Sam Walker, like, can't get the body in front. Quick play the ball, the damage is done. Next look at this, Yeah, bump down the road, get down, play the ball. So when Paine starts tackle two on Sam Walker or Camera Munster, it might be a three second player the ball, but the fact is the next one's a three and a half second player. Then the try scored on a four and our second play the boo because Queensland defense cannot set so Sam and months to make a tackle. But as you said, it's the compound effect of that quick play the ball that paint Us generates that ends up scoring a try at some stage.
Speaker 3: And just rolling off that.
Speaker 1: If you're going to talk about Pain hats and that combination working, then Adam Faniel Blake, paint comes goes off the field, Adam comes on and we've been waiting. Well, I've been waiting for Adam to play his best football on that level because before the game, if you tell me Payne Hasse and Adam fanil Blake are really dominant, I just go, we're going to win it.
Speaker 2: Laurie Daly got this change exactly right, brought him on at exactly the right time. But credit to for noil Blake. His first four or five charges were like that, that is good sort of momentum, good statement.
Speaker 4: No, he played well, like just there was just moments. Look at that.
Speaker 2: That's a big body find the front, fighting through ageinst the offload. That's Adam fanil Blake at his best. Yeah.
Speaker 3: That late footwork is just so dangerous.
Speaker 1: You get big guys, you know where reached defenders and you get big guys running at you and you can handle them to a certain extent.
Speaker 3: At times, but when they've got late footwork made, it makes them so different. It's so difficult.
Speaker 2: One the other key performers for me mate from a New South Wales point of view, the Hudson Young Leam Martin. They were annoying physical presence. There was a Hudson Young gave Way penalty on Sam Walker which ultimately was a penalty, but I don't mind it because he's making a young halfback realize that I'm about to know the hell out of you for the next eighty minutes.
Speaker 1: They came as advertised and that both of them came out. They did, and just so we're going to go. We're going to go like and that was instructed, no doubt from Laurie to say, mate, come on, let's put this guy on notice.
Speaker 2: Take some kahounas to say that during the week and then go and deliver. We've seen a lot of people say things during the week like they're going to talk a big game, but then not back it up. HUDs and Young was great. Leam Martin's defense. He's intimidating as anyone in the competition.
Speaker 1: Yep, some of that shots he put on the times and like you said before, I once go far to say as so far to say, as you know, he's in Monster's head all the time.
Speaker 3: It's just it's just irritating.
Speaker 4: He's not it's just a good battle.
Speaker 2: But you could highlight clips and say months want of victory there, Lean Martin's won a victory there.
Speaker 4: But he is just he is just a He is a rep player through and through Lear Martin.
Speaker 1: And you see him in the sheds a couple of weeks ago, had him in the sheds. He was doing the breathing exercise and it was just evidence of how he gets himself up emotionally well.
Speaker 4: He knows he needs to.
Speaker 2: There's a guy that's the lead, that knows where he needs to be at and if he's redlining too much, he probably gives away a penalty here there, it costs his team. So those type of exercises, not only Martin, every player in the competition is doing it to try and get themselves in the perfect state to go and perform. And he was brilliant like that is a type of performance that has Lia Martin picked in every New South Wales team from here on out.
Speaker 3: We spoke on Mitch most as four coups and you got to give Laurier Rappi. He took some.
Speaker 1: He took some big gambles as far as selections, as far as not so much changing the team but keeping some of the guys in. There was the Tedesco situation that I thought he was under threat from Dylan Edwards.
Speaker 3: Moses is the.
Speaker 1: Big one because that second game he struggled in that second game, but more than that that the follow up performance against Sow Sitting in that Friday night game, it was as bad as you see Mitchell play, and.
Speaker 3: He looked out of sorts. He looked a long way from fit.
Speaker 1: I asked Lori again, and I said, picking Mitchell, did you have a conversation with Mitchell before Game three?
Speaker 3: And did you consult Nathan? And he said no, I didn't.
Speaker 1: He said, I picked him in game two even though I knew he was one hundred percent fit with Game three in mind, because you want there one nil up in the series.
Speaker 3: He knew how Portny was going to be.
Speaker 1: He said, if I knew I picked him in game two, he might have been a little bit off, but I was backing to be right for game three.
Speaker 2: That's like for every rat that Billy got last year, for what dropping Cherry Evans bringing in did and ultimately won the series, Laurie deserves exactly the same credit because that was a balancing Do you bring Ethan Strange in?
Speaker 4: Do you stick with Moses?
Speaker 2: And I'm going to give mos a big rap here for a guy that has confidence, likes to be the main man. He realized that Nathan was on scored the first two tries.
Speaker 4: So what's Mitch to, I'm going to kick us to victory here.
Speaker 2: Every time we're in a bad spot, I'm going to be the guy that kicks at sixty on the fly and we're going to start winning this battle because winning for New South Wales is way more important than someone being the big dog on the night. So he definitely played second field. But it was a class act performance from Mitch.
Speaker 1: Let's as we look at Nathan Cleary's all these sort of quality touches and touches throughout the discussion about him. I think there were two types of commentary going into the game, and I thought both were inaccurate in some ways. The first one was, oh, Nathan made if he does name up here, he's never going to be remember it as a great origin player and.
Speaker 3: Spot might be that's wrong.
Speaker 1: To the other one, that was wrong too, mate, Nathan's got nothing to prove, He's got nothing to prove gun in the state of origent. I thought that one was wrong as well, wrong right, mate, And what he did, if anything he had to you could see he wanted to prove it to himself that he could take his domination, which he does at club level at Penrith and do it at State of Origin level.
Speaker 2: I don't think could play a couple of poor Origin series and I still believe he's one of the greats, Like he is a freak of nage. The way that he's been able to develop his career control some really brilliant moments. And the one thing for me that worried me during the week and the lead up was him owning a performance, owning a bad performance when an elite player can sit there and go, you know what, Yeah, I wasn't good. I didn't deliver on x Onye and Z, but I'm going to work on that and I'm going to deliver in the next one. That is the sign of a gunplayer. And you just know the way that Nathan plays that two bad performances are never consecutive. There is a big gap between a bad performance and his next one. It just happened to be an Origin decider and Queensland with a victim of his performance and will.
Speaker 3: Done to Isaiah Ah two. He was captain of the series.
Speaker 1: She had a lot of great leadership going into game three. I thought I thought a lot of people thought that'd start with Murray, but Laurie stuck with his skipper there.
Speaker 3: So made he was terrific. And coming out of that series.
Speaker 1: I look at, you know, Penrith in the last month, during the origin period, there has been a lot of distractions.
Speaker 3: It's a roller coach for those players.
Speaker 1: But coming out of that series, the way the Penrith players performed, you just got made. They're going to take some sort of stopping three players coops you thought, and enhanced their reputation.
Speaker 2: Sam Walker, yeah, definitely elevated himself from a potential REP player to a REP player, but Game three knocked him back a little bit and Nathan went to another level.
Speaker 4: He needs a final way to go to.
Speaker 2: Nathan's level went on the back foote.
Speaker 3: For me, yeah, big time.
Speaker 2: I thought he was Queensland's best player across the series. If you're give in Queensland's best player, that was Selwyn and Hudson Young before the game. Hudson before Game one. Hudson would have been if he plays while he's in the side, but if he doesn't, maybe Ola Kawa t Martin fits in. His performance consistently and particularly Game three, he's now elevated to He was probably already elite, but he's very much intrenched into elite status.
Speaker 3: I'm with you, Sam Walker, it was an obvious one. Saw and Cobo as well. I also had Bradman best down there.
Speaker 1: For whatever reason, we underestimate him, Like whenever you think, right, we're going who we're going to pick and you go Stephen Crichton, Latrelle and have all these other guys. Bradman gets forgotten to a certain extent, but he always aims up. And the other one I've got is Max Plath. Yeah, I thought I thought Max was just fantastic through that series.
Speaker 4: Something about Bradman.
Speaker 2: He just likes the big stage right, like at Newcastle on a Sunday afternoon. Sometimes he comes up with some poor decisions defensively, but Jesus he's got it right. Particularly if you can get it right at an origin decide at suncle can play well, you can get it right anywhere.
Speaker 3: Coops club Land.
Speaker 1: Firstly, Draaan Leua the Leuis situation been released from his final year the contract before he joins P and G.
Speaker 3: Has it surprised you? Yeah?
Speaker 4: It has.
Speaker 2: Him probably taking up that option and going didn't. But the Tiger's moving him on is a surprise. There's something something shifted at the Tigers, because you go to the first third of the year, they were playing pretty good and probably finals bound.
Speaker 4: I thought, yeah, it was on the horizon. There's something that has shifted.
Speaker 1: They look like I looked at them coops, and I just thought, mate, the way the game has evolved in the last eight of the months really suits their football.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think like when they played well in the first third, it was almost like the arrogance in a good way, confidence that we can play and no one could beat his type. Thing like Benji had that as a player, and it was Loui's got that as a player. It started feeding through the to the to the Maze and the Feinus and all the rest of them. But then it hit the skids six weeks ago. There was a like a brotherhood at the Tigers that was building. It feels like the Louis departure. Maybe it's p Andng, maybe it's not. I just don't know what to make of it. I would have kept Loui. I'm Benjing the Tigers. I would have kept him the guys one Grand Finals. The guy's played our You can get information and learnings for those next gen.
Speaker 4: I would have kept him around for twelve months.
Speaker 2: I get that you can free up money and provide for those other players, but I think those other players that you want to upgrade are going to be better with the example of Jerome around.
Speaker 1: I totally agree, and we'll get to Paramatta on that in a second. But it's a really complex question. Buying Lui hasn't been a success. Well, if you look as far as results concern play finals football, it hasn't. But I think as far as changing the perception of the club and helping sign others, it has been.
Speaker 2: The players have resigned and recommitted and come to the Tigers because of Jerome and the way they're playing, particularly in the first third. That's why I I don't think I would have let him go. Like, if you're Jerome now you've got this big paypacket coming for P and G.
Speaker 4: You've got twelve months, what am I gonna do?
Speaker 2: Yes, Paramatta is there, Yes he'll get some big money thrown out, But going home to Penrith is not a bad idea. I'm going to put myself in his shoes. I'm going back to Penrith. You know why, because P and G I'm gonna earn a.
Speaker 4: Lot of money.
Speaker 2: I'm probably gonna have to build a club before I start winning more games and lose.
Speaker 4: And Penrith is home.
Speaker 2: It's almost just going back and putting your comfy clothes on and getting back some familiar relationships winning games. And he could actually probably be a better play by when he goes to P and G going to Penrith with Tiger's going to top up some of his money, right, so he's going to go for a little bit.
Speaker 4: But if I'm Jerome, I'm going back to.
Speaker 3: This is It's a really interesting one because.
Speaker 1: At what point, at what point does to do the Tigers maybe say, hang on a second, we're not being offered enough money here. I mean, the last thing that Tigers want to be doing throwing six hundred thousand dollars. I mean, you got them, can't You cannot do that. So if Paramatter or the Penorists or the Perth Bears don't come to the party, it could be a situation where you say, guys, I mean, it's untenable really to say, actually we've changing your mind.
Speaker 3: Now we're going to side. We're going to keep you for that last year.
Speaker 1: I don't know you would think that negotiation is a fair way down the line, but I don't know if they are one year at Paramatta. They did it with Jonah. I think there's more value in one year with Jerome all the things we're talking about, as far as you know, helping the younger players.
Speaker 4: Well, if I'm.
Speaker 2: Jason Ryles, obviously like they need elite players and Jerome fits that Moses and Jerome have played together before. But if I'm Jerome, I've got a huge paypacker coming. I think I'm going home to Penrith.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, Daniel two Po three hundred games you played alongside him.
Speaker 3: I say it on the show last night. I'd realized sort of at the end of the game, when you know everything was going on.
Speaker 1: I've never heard Daniel two Per talk.
Speaker 3: I never have.
Speaker 1: He's been in such a long time. But he's so shy and humble. I've never ever heard him interviewed.
Speaker 2: You don't hear him, but you see him both on and off the field. Right, you won't call a play playing with him, But I'll tell you what, when you need someone to turn up, he'll do it. He'll take that yardage carry, he'll score that try. Game three hundred scored three tries. The funny thing is, like he's third on the all time try list. Right, you got Ken Irvine and Alex Johnston in front, who.
Speaker 4: Are out and outstars.
Speaker 2: But there's an argument to say that Tupo's a better winger overall than those two because he's got just as many tries. But for the runs and the meters and the tough carries, Tubo smashes them in terms of stats, So he should He's probably not in the conversation for best winger, but he should be in the conversation one of the best wingers this game is ever.
Speaker 1: One of those guys easy to underestimate for whatever reason.
Speaker 4: Is he a good fella, terrific fella, You wouldn't mind him.
Speaker 2: Matthew is a bit of an undercover brother, so one of the boys that likes to be shy, but when he lets Lucy's a good man.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's good. I like that. I really like that.
Speaker 4: But you're not undercover, by the way.
Speaker 3: I just with that air, you can't go anywhere an open book. Shark sixty six nil.
Speaker 4: Seriously, how.
Speaker 3: Like we've spoken in.
Speaker 1: The last couple of months in around the Dolphins when a game winning streak, and we're going this is it teems that can win the competition.
Speaker 3: I don't know what to think.
Speaker 1: Now, you can't ignore that, but you can't ignore the eight game winning streak either. I mean, yes, they had some key men out. I understand all that, but.
Speaker 2: Well, weeks before that key man out and Scratch Claude Fort never gave up their goal line like they did. You don't need to be an Origin player to tackle and work hard. And the fact is that those sixty odd points that Sharks scored, the players of the Dolphins defensively didn't stand up for Christian Will's fundamentals.
Speaker 4: Defensively. That's a worry.
Speaker 2: Now you can bring Izy car Tar and all those rep players back in and yeah, that school line doesn't happen. But there is a systematic flawed defensively from the players outside the best to the next crop that just didn't get it right.
Speaker 1: And we're not giving the Sharks enough credit. Nico Hines has been really good the last couple of weeks. What I like about Niko's game, the last couple of performances in your seat here, we always said Nico made he plays his best when runs the football, but you just can't run the football blindly. What I like it about it, He's running the football, but he's got he's got.
Speaker 3: An outcome in mind. It makes sense.
Speaker 1: He's leaving one defender, he's running to that target defender and and you know, either drawing him in or showing a goa.
Speaker 3: And he's been doing a lot.
Speaker 1: I just for me, that's the best part of Nico's game, and he's doing a lot of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is. He's scored thirty points in the weekend. Two tries, eleven conversions. There's three games that Nico should go back and watch. That one on the weekend.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: There was an All Stars game where he played really well. And there was a game in the preseason that I thought, you know what, Nico set for a big year, not because he was running around teams, not because he was setting up five tries. Because every time he ran the ball, his hips were north south.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What I mean by that he wasn't drifting overs. He was going forward first and his intent was I'm going to run. Then if the defense opens up, he keeps going. But if it closes, then he steps left to right. It becomes a ballplayer. Those are the things. When Nico plays well, he is north south in the direction he runs first, as opposed to trying to create something on the outside.
Speaker 1: Coops, it's good to be back, and we welcome the ratings back as well, and thank you very much.
Speaker 4: There was a definite spike in the ratings without you.
Speaker 3: It was I've been talking a lot as soon as.
Speaker 2: People turn on the TV and see that head with that.
Speaker 1: Haircut, Coops, I'm telling you now, I've got a lot of feedback from the fans, and the show was going sound
Speaker 2: H