Speaker 1: Welcome to the mentor. I'm Mark Boris around Henry, welcome to the Mentor.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me. Mark Is, you're the.
Speaker 1: Co founder of I want to get the spelling right, the pronunciation right. I should say spellings in front of me is basis.
Speaker 2: Yes, So it's like a phonetic play on basis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I thought so. But it's basis as opposed to bassis because I saw the sis on the end the end, and I thought sisterhood, you know, feminism, et cetera. Because one of one of the things you're really strong about is making sure that and I saw it in the brief, is helping women and girls get out of that bad cycle. Yeah, that's a big thing for you. It's not necessarily about your business, but it's a thing for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I feel like, you know, there's so many pitfalls around owning your own business, you know, all the risk and everything. But I think one of the benefits is that you do get to have a bit of autom me around doing some things that actually matter. And obviously, you know, we're in the game of selling lifestyle accessories, so we're not rocking anyone's world from that perspective. But we kind of decided this time around if we could use the business as like a vehicle to do some good on the side, that that, you know, would help us to sort of have a bit more purpose in the business itself.
Speaker 1: As in like platforming. Yeah, I mean, I mean, is this your soapbox? I mean, in a sort of a weird sort of ways, this your soapbox down the domain in the back in the seventies, when I used to go down there and see guys and girls standing up on a soapbox and yelling and screaming at any audience I could find. Do you know the domain?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Did you ever go there and see that?
Speaker 2: I mean, I would have been an eighties kid. And occasionally there are there are still a few stragglers down there.
Speaker 1: That not much of an audience. No, But when I was university in the seventies, it was a thing. So you went to the domain at the bottom of the Mitchell Library. There just at the bottom there there was a there's a couple of big trees right at the bottom were at dips and that's where they used to stand and you would largely get them on a Sunday and they actually had a box, a wooden box or something like that, and they get up there and they would give us a sermon and a preach about politics, the economy, religion, just whatever it was that was wrong in society and culture right, and they were quite quite They could talk for hours, literally, and it was a thing. I often used to go down there, a weird very self go down because I when I went to the university, you know, there was no to study. So I see the Mitell Library and in those days had microfish.
Speaker 2: The old you'd sit there with the thing and going around in circles forever.
Speaker 1: Everything was put on a microfish, which by the way, was pretty modern at that time. And I would take get photocopies of this stuff, and that was why I could review my notes, because otherwise I was at When I went to the university, the books always went missing, literally at the beginning of the semester, and that was it. Someone would get the book and hide it. There'd be three books on the topic, and it could be constitutional law or something that'd be taken out and it'd be put somewhere else and you would never find it. And so I would then go into the Mitchell Iban. Anyway, after when I was getting bit bored, which is in a break, would walk down to the domain and listen to people talking. Sunday was my day at the Mitchell Library and I would study and stay Lowry in South Wales. And I wonder whether today the modern version of that is something like what you're doing. We put up a business and today we can use Instagram, Facebook, probably less, but definitely Instagram and make statements about things that we care about.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, I mean definitely. But I would probably cave it that by saying that there's always this kind of tenuous balance because there's a cancel culture out there as well too, so you know, you swing to in every duration's cancel consa and so it's hard sometimes because you do want to lean into something, but you kind of you're also worried about the impact it might have on the business if you're saying something that's like contrary to like, well, you know, the popular belief is so yeah, we I mean, the things that we do care about aren't that controversial. Like we want to lift you know, disadvantage girls that perhaps haven't had a good chance to just get a good education. I don't think there's anything that controversial about that.
Speaker 1: Well, there is if you blame if you blame someone, I guess if you blame a system, perhaps because the people who had to hear the system might say, well, and I believe in the system, because that outcome that you're trying to achieve is a consequence of a system. Actually that's true, and the system actually is, to be honest, is broken. It's sort of skewed in the wrong directions. Privilege tends to be a better education, and money buys privilege. Unfortunately, it's not can be earned. Privilege can be earned, but it's not as galitarians was when I was younger. We're not in Like, you know, I going a long time. But when I you know, university was free. In fact, you know, you can get I got school I had, I got I got paid to go to university. I won a scholarship. But like it doesn't matter those that and you know I had a bursary as well. Like you know, I didn't have to pay for books, I didn't have to pay for accommodation. I got some money every week towards my education was enough. I still had a job. It doesn't matter. It was something, and my education was free. Today education is expensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually that's very true. I mean my dad came from the Western suburbs of Sydney, one of five boys, the first and only one to go through to university and definitely wouldn't have gone through if it had not been for those opportunities them and it was and I feel like that obviously broke the cycle. Then that breaks the cycle then for the next gen coming through, because for us it was almost like a non negotiable like my sister and I would go to university and.
Speaker 1: No matter what, no matter what.
Speaker 2: So you're right, but it is it is a lot harder for the ones coming through now.
Speaker 1: They get university had come out like I got four sons, and you know, they come out of university owing money and they go, what's the point of that? And the thing they can constantly, you know, aggravates them is that they're was more money than earn, the more HEX they pay, like last year in two thousand and twenty two, I think it was their HEX debt, we're not by seven percent. Then the government says, well, we don't charge your interest, but we charge you inflation. But let's say you had a fifty thousand dollars hextbat. It says, so you did a five years at university doing a commercial order agree something like that. Yeah, you could have a fifty grand bill. Your hextet just went I buy seven percent. That means now fifty three thousand, five hundred and then next year the inflation will be calculated, so it's compounding. Yeah, that's a bit of a difficult thing. I feel sorry for him. And then a lot of people disincentivised to get a university they say, well I can't afford Plus you've got to travel there. You know, you've got no money while you're there. You've got to live your life. I mean, like you know, then you end up working at wool worst whilst you're at university packing shelves, and then you fall asleep halfway during your lecture, so you don't get the best out of yourself. You don't optimize. So I actually the education system is broken for everybody, but women and girls in probably particularly, I would say where we come from in the West may have it even worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think when I was when we have a really young team, where a small team, there's only eleven of us, but it's a I'm the oldest of the group.
Speaker 1: So how do I feel.
Speaker 2: I don't know, they keep me young. I'm young at heart, so you know, I think sometimes they forget that I've got a good twenty plus years on them, maybe because I don't act that way when I listen to what they talk about. You know that. I think COVID for them, really also screwed with the structure of these degrees that they're coming out with as well too, so the quality, so they're paying a shitload for it totally, They're not necessarily coming out with the skills that are helping them when they've got their first job. So it's kind of like it's broke on both sides, both on the you know, the financial side, and then also the quality of the education side. So I think a lot of them are just really frustrated, and it's really competitive because they're spitting out so many of them.
Speaker 1: So and we do have I mean not that I'm bagging in, but because my parents have migrants anyway, but we have a lot of overseas competitive competition, and they have a lot more They've got a lot more skin in the game to survive because you know, they've left another country. A lot of them and they're doing their best to survive here and their best chances to get a degree, so they're going to probably do. They're going to work harder at it. You know, they generally speak of course they're paying more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, universities, I guess incentivized to take more of them on as well too.
Speaker 1: I have to to survive because the university is getting bigger. So it's a big complicated issue. But we're moving away from So you went to university. I did, And what did you do?
Speaker 2: I did a double. I did a law degree and a commerce degree, which unit at uts UTS.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I was like one of the first to do this, this sort of double. So spat out five years later with a law degree. Wasn't really hungry to be a lawyer, but got a job at Clayton Newts because I felt like that's the thing I should have done, and got an insight into firm life and realized pretty quickly that great for some people, I'm not shitting on private practice, but for me, I just wasn't passionate enough about the law to to stick it out.
Speaker 1: So give it. You should explain a little bit to our audience what that means. So now you're a young graduate uts commerce law degree. You turn up at Clayton Newts, which is in Bly Street behind my city office, and I see them all the time. They're in the same building as the government housed with the Prime Minister and the Treasurer and every want to hanging out, and pretty fancy building. And they're a good firm, don't get me wrong. I mean I know some of the partners there in the tax area, Mark Freezer for that for example, And I don't know if he's still a partner there, but he was the same law for my I was in when I was much younger when he first started actually, but he's gone to become, you know, big time partner in that firm. But I do know, because you know, I have family members who are doing exactly this at the moment, just finishing law and getting jobs in these sources of firms. I'm not saying Clayt News, but these big firms. And I do know that the expectation of the hours you work relative to the pay you yet. I mean, they get paid quite well, but the hours you work is crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And actually it's been so I'm twenty two years post that time, so I wasn't sure actually what it's like today. I thought maybe things had changed and hasn't changed.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're for a star, it's very competitive to get in if you get in one of the big firms, so you can like it's heavy, but if you get in, you don't really become a good earner until you've sort of been there for seven eight years. But the pressure on you to earn fees is crazy.
Speaker 2: It is. It was a real baptism of fire. I mean, I come from a really hard working family like my dad. You know, as I alluded to before, you know, he kind of broke the mold for what he wanted for us through sheer hard work. He was an absolute workaholic our whole lives and so it's in our dna. My sister and I wear just workhorses. So I felt like I was ready for anything. I've got that at a if you put your mind to it and just dig deep, you can really do anything. But it was a bloody rood shot and I got in there.
Speaker 1: And it's sort of not that interesting the work, No.
Speaker 2: And I was in general corporate, so I was a am I allowed to say, I'm a contract bitch, like I was just you know, a small, very small cog in a very big wheel and not getting to I guess get a sense for like the type of work. I think it would have been great for me to have had a bit more exposure to it through the course of the degree, to actually get a better understanding of what I was stepping into, which.
Speaker 1: You may not have stepped into it. Then probably you might have gone, might have tried to do something else. But a lot of times you don't have a choice. So you know, you move, you want to go to big firm because that's sort of like best on your TV. But the problem is going to get a big firm. You're one of a large number of people, and you're working for large organizations like as interns of clients, and you're going to get allocated the least risky work because they can't afford for you to stuff things up. And so that is like you're sitting right at the bottom of the tree. And unless you're patient, and I mean like seriously patient, you don't advance in the organization. Ultimately you'll leave.
Speaker 2: And there's always a degree of politics involved in there too. And I'm not really a game player. I don't invest a lot of time. I don't think I worked particularly smart, just hard, so I sort of could see what the path ahead looked like, and I kind of took the view that it was a great experience. Like, don't get me wrong, I think it just changed the way you do think even in everyday life now at basis, I sort of sometimes think to myself, Oh, I'm actually quite fortunate that I can look at this document and make a call just without needing to lean on someone else. But it's been big fees, and it's been very big fees, so we haven't had to use a lawyer. Touch would Actually I just renewed my PLAT practicing certificate. I don't know why, I'm just I can't let go so but it definitely then when I rolled out of that, out of that work environment, the amount of energy that I put into the first business that we had started, you know, working a fourteen hour day didn't scare me because I'd done a lot worse for a lot longer before that time.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and that's pretty normal in the big county firms, big law firms. Yeah, really, you are doing forty nowadays minimums sometimes Saturdays, for sure. If you're working on something. There's a deadline, you just got to work Saturday Sundays. I remember my brother also worked in a law firm. He's younger than me, and I remember I was only thing about the other day. On his fortieth birthday, my brother was working on the the twenty twenty Olympic stadium at Homebush a Dog twenty twenty two thousand Olympics working on the stadium. He was part of the team doing the encyc off the building. So it wasn't in twenty two thousand. We might have been in ninety ninety eight or something in order to get it ready by two thousand and on his fortieth birthday, we were all ready to take me out to the restaurant. We booked this ural Greek restaurant. Mom, dad, me and my sister, blah blah bah, everybody else, his wife, his family, et cetera, and we all turned up at six pm. He came in at six and worked from six till seven point thirty and then had to leave because he's in the middle of documentation for something that had a deadline for the following week, which by the way, did make the deadline because everything sort of kept rolling out we're rolled over a month and I'm rolling over months. But that was his fortieth birthday, and that's pretty typical working in a law firm, and at that stage he was a partner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think the hardest part is is that in that moment, you feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulder. You have to do it, you have no choice. But I don't know the older I'm getting, I mean in the last eighteen months. Sorry to take us off topic, but I was diagnosed with quite a serious illness last year and it was like I had I had cancer last year. No, that's okay, I'm all good now. But it took something like that to make me realize that, you know, there is nothing that's that important that you should be missing those types of really milestone occasions because you know, at the end of the day, you don't actually know how many you've got ahead of you, and you know, as important as that finance deal would have been at that time, I'm sure if he reflects back, maybe he wished he was sitting there smashing plates at midnight and not going back drinking beers. Beers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, it's funny you should say, because like if I then ask you, how do you How would you I'm sure it is reconcilable, and maybe you're something who can do it, but how would you reconcile? What you would say to a young woman. Let's say that particularly young woman's bride, bright enough to get ninety nine and hcor whatever they do the call of these days ata which will get you into a commis law degree today. Whether it's uts us to work, it doesn't really matter, which I guess is probably close to ninety nine something. What would you say to that individual if he or she thought, I'm just gonna drag. In fact, I'm going to drag. I'm going to do this because i want to drag myself and my family. I'm a first Australian generation, first generation strain. I want to be the first to get a degree in my family. It might be just astrained, it might not be in a first generation. I'm going to do this because I want to drag my myself my family out of the quagmire of poverty. And I'm going to go work for a law firm and I'm ready to be disillusioned after my five years of hard work. What would you say to that young woman or that young.
Speaker 2: Girl that's a really hard that is me that.
Speaker 1: Is twenty five years ago. Yeah, what would you say to yourself today? I mean, because there will be young people who listen to this, and or parents of young people listen, they will say, wow, that's good advice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'll.
Speaker 1: Share you with you. Would I would say to him as well? Okay, looking backwards, but you go first. Now, you go first, because the great thing about being in the chair is I get asked.
Speaker 2: Questions first, so I probably should qualify. So at the point that I had made the call that this was not what I wanted to do, I think, you know, notwithstanding that dud was we were working class family. We were working class family throughout almost my entire childhood and teenageing.
Speaker 1: Please define working class because I have a view on working class. Okay, I work for a living. They're from working class? Who myself? Boris you plenty of money? You don't work class. I work for a living, so I consider them. I still work every day, and I work hard. I still consider myself working class. So I think anyone who works hard right is working class. I think junior reinehard. Okay, I know she's rich. Woman in the country. But I think she's still working class. That's my view. I think anyone who's a straight back top has never done a day's work is not working class.
Speaker 2: So then maybe we need to coin a different term because so I guess from a socioeconomic definition.
Speaker 1: In terms of the level of working class.
Speaker 2: You know, he spat out as an accountant, so we're not talking blue collar, but but we didn't. We never wanted for anything, but we didn't have trappings. So you know, family holidays were an absolute privilege, and we never left the country because that just was financially out of the question. You know, he he obviously was taking his own risks in business. He ended up being really successful in his own right. But it meant that, you know, more often than not, for things that weren't education or you know, a meal on the table. The answer was no, Like we didn't have fancy clothes, we didn't drive fancy cars, didn't go on expensive holidays. It was but then again, we didn't feel like we were missing out on anything.
Speaker 1: I'm the same, exactly the same, actually, yeah, because I didn't know what I was missing out on. If I'm not missing out.
Speaker 2: No, And you know, we were in the Shire. We weren't exposed to what the alternative life looked like. So you know, it was only when I actually left the city exactly and I realized I was actually the only one in my intake that came from the South and everyone else came from the Eastern.
Speaker 1: I've been through the exact exact same experience, and interestingly enough, I quickly adapted to their way of life me too, which I really pissed off about me, but it doesn't matter. It happened, and I take it as an experience. So therefore, what would you say to yourself?
Speaker 2: So sorry, that was a really long winded way of me saying though that by the time I had done that five year stint in the firm and circumstances had changed for my family unit, I had somewhat of a safety net. So when I made the call, fuck this, I'm going to maybe try and do something for myself or try and change the path that I'm on, I had the benefit of having parents who had said, you know, we'll give you a little bit of a safety net, and that was very reluctant actually, And to be honest, if my daughter, who I have a ten year old now, was to come to me, you know, at twenty five and say I'm packing this in, I'm going to try something else. I would have like reservations. So but I think I would tell that person, have you given it enough of a shot first to walk away from this and have no regrets? And if the answer is yes, that you you know. I think as females we stop listening to our intuition quite early. It's like we're programmed early on to do things that we think optically are the right things to do, and not listen in tuitively to what our God is telling us to do. So intuitively, I knew off the bat, even when I started at the second year of UNI that this was not for me. But optically and socially, I was like, well, no, you know, I found myself here and I've been given this opportunity. I just have to keep going. So that is I guess what I would tell a younger self. Have you given this enough of a shot first that you can walk away from this and you're not going to have any regrets about the decision that you've made. And if you feel in your guard that that is the case, then roll the die and take the step.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's very interesting, I particularly for women. And I'm only making an observation because I have no daughters, but I would like to make the observation if I can. I think our society is developing into, I can, a society where there's a level of acceptance of your credibility. And one way of establishing credibility is your ability to stick to something, do something that's difficult, even if you don't pursue it, and status credibility. If you go to university and do become an engineer for arguments, assuming that you know you want to do you have the ability to do that, and you want to study hard to do that, and you have a family capacity to do that and would support et cetera engineer, doctor, lawyer. You may not become a stay as a lawyer. You may not maintain yourself as an energy. You may not stay as a medical practition because a medical priditioner is not practition is not what it used to be, and any other profession for that matter. By the way, accountant, teacher, whatever I think of a woman today, a young girl should pursue that because unfortunately society still judges you and still attaches status to you. You don't attach it, someone will attach the system, will attach status to you. And I think you need to overcome that initial hurdle and you've got to do it yourself. No one's going to give you status. You've got to your family, don't give your status. You need to establish status. It's unfortunate, but it is the way it is. But you do you three years or two years or one year or five years. Once you've qualified, once you've finished your degree, then you go up and do whatever you want to do. Yep. And there's because between eighteen the day you start university and say twenty six twenty seven, and after you've finished your course and you've done a bit of experience in that period, you don't really know too much anyway.
Speaker 2: No, and no one can take that away from it.
Speaker 1: It doesn't leave you exactly.
Speaker 2: No one can take it away from you. And I think the only thing I've actually noticed of late is interestingly, we were interviewing recently for a content creation role, so and we had a lot of twenty something year rolds coming through, and more than a handful talked about the fact that the first thing they wanted to do was start their own business. And we listened patiently. You know, I really admire you know, people coming up with, you know, that sort of an idea early early on in their lives. So it certainly wasn't something that came to me early. But I think there's a danger out there, especially on social media, that there is a business, there's an engine that is basically advertising this idea of an alternate life that involves around running your own show. And it's really bloody hard, and I feel like it's it's really it's it's almost a bit misleading, you know, to tell you know, young kids that you know, without any level of experience or any level of business experience, that you can set up your own shop, and you know that millions await you. On the other side, that that is something reserved for a very small minority. It is a total falsehood. It is it is. It's these people peddling courses, not labeling anyone, but selling a dream that really is not attainable for the vast majority of people. So I think, I think it's hard. I think you're right, you have to cut your teeth because that's where you learn the basics.
Speaker 1: And you also learn that there's not what I want to do no. I mean sometimes that's pretty important to learn. I don't really cut out for this or this is not cut out for me. I don't want to do this. I don't want to be a lawyer. I don't want to work at an engineer. I don't want to be a school teacher or a university lecturer. I don't want to do that. I want to go do something different. But until you know, until you try it, you don't know. And I just think that if like, that would be my advice. Not, by the way, not everybody is cut out to go to university either, because there's some people who just don't learn the way universities teach or the way schools teach. Because not everybody is cut out to learn in the way the system sets you off for learning. You know, and some people might have learning difficulties. Doesn't mean they're not smart or not intelligent. They might and they're not hard work him. Some people have you know, they might be dyslexic, et cetera. There's a whole lot of issues around these, or they might have socio economic environment at home where they've got to get out and get a job to help the family. That's slightly different. I'm talking about people who are privileged enough, and I don't mean they're wealthy, just privileged enough to go to the university, sit for the exams, get the past required, qualify or matriculated with the words are these days to get into a certain course and have the ability to sustain themselves during that course, either working at woolies or whatever they're going to do, but sustain themselves during the course. I think those people should do the course and should complete the course, and try and complete the course of something you have some interest in. You know, you may have been someone might have said to you, become a lawyer, because you know your dad might have been a lawyer. Alternatively, your dad knew a lawyer, You got an uncle who's a lawyer, or you had an uncle who's an architecture, you go to architecture, et cetera. I just think it's still a good process for women because women will get judged. And I don't give a damn what you say. It is the case women get judged.
Speaker 2: Oh, you won't get pushed back from me. I totally agree with you. I also think that you know the reality is from this perspective of studying for these kids. It's not even the subject matter, it's just the act of putting your mind to something following learning how to learn, learning how to learn. Yeah, and and and being aware of the fact that there's a lot out there that you don't know. The more you know, the more you don't.
Speaker 1: Know, the more you respect what you don't know totally. And I think that that's a big issue. But we probably I do want to talk to you about basis. So I'm going to go to the break. When we come back to the break, can you just take me through what your thesis was when you before you start a basis and what is the moment you decided you want to start basis and what was it that inspired you or maybe motivated you to start basis. But I'm going to go to the brain comes straight back. I'm back you with Ariana Henry and we talked about a whole lot of stuff in the in the first part of the So, but I do want to ask you, now, do you remember the time when you thought, hang on, I'm going to it up this business ultimately call basis and it's time for me to do it. And what was it? What was your surrounding, what was happening in your life that made you think that way.
Speaker 2: So without wanting the clock back too far, I had After I left law, I established a business in the fitness industry, of all things, and ran that business with my sister, who I had persuaded to come along the ride for me. She's an accountant, so the two of us cut our teeth.
Speaker 1: And you could, you could sort of compliment each other perfect.
Speaker 2: We stayed out of each other's lanes. She was all the engine room in the back and I was in the front. And we had that business for ten years, and that's where I learned all the mistakes of small business. And and you know, I can look back now and say it, you know, without coming off as sounding arrogant. But that was a a pretty special journey for her and I And we ended up selling to fitness first and exited that business at the age of what was it, thirty six, and you know, gave ourselves a pat on the back and earned the right to put our feet up for a little bit and started thinking about things like family. So that's where I was at the point in my life when the idea for Basis came along. I lasted a rite twelve months and I got so itchy and I sat there. I remember having countless conversations with my sister because she had been fantasizing about the idea of, you know, doing yoga every day and you know, becoming she's an exercise junkie, And we realized really quickly that, like so much of what gets us out of bed in the morning is like, you know, firing the signapses and having a challenge. So we knew we wanted to do something, we didn't know what that something was. The previous business was a franchise based business, so it was very labor intensive. We had really like strong relationships. We had eighty five franchisees, so it was the type of business that we knew we didn't want second time around for the next chapter of our lives. And around the same time, a very dear friend of ours who actually was our former marketing manager. She had come back from New York. Her husband's a pilot, and I remember we went for a walk around Centennial Park and she was talking about the trip and she just said, you know, over there, you know, they're far more progressive in terms of what they're doing in the retail space, and personalization is very big over there. We had a conversation about why, you know, why we thought it was taking off over there, and around the same time, I guess we had realized that there were already players doing leather goods in the personalization space. But we sort of felt like personalization actually has a role to play with everyday items. I mean, there's a benefit to having your name on certain things, you know, things that you take with you everywhere, you know, your water bottle, your coffee cup, those types of things. So the genesis kind of came out of this idea of, well, okay, if personalization is a trend which is emerging in the retail space, is there a world where we could marry you know, designing really beautiful everyday essentials and then giving the power of personalization to the customer, but doing it in such a way that it's not you know, you do it you wait six weeks that we really you know, make that sort of process a short and sharp, easy process, so that it's no different to going to the shop and buying something, so.
Speaker 1: Sort of more instant yeah, which we're.
Speaker 2: Really proud to say we turn things around within three business days. So we have actually been able to achieve that. So that was that was It was a walk around Centennial Park me realizing that I was bought out of my brain at the same time that a dear friend had sort of suggested that this was something that was happening a lot more in the States than it was happening here.
Speaker 1: Did you do the usual thing though, Okay, great idea, write it down, talk to your sister or whoever you talk to about then started thinking about how should all the problems always? Yeah, did you because you know, lawyers unfortunately pull things apart, not unfortunately, that's how it works. And and then you start pulling and paying, Oh my god, that could be a problem manufacturing. This could be probably like there's a series of problems. Did they become an and did any states have become overwarming? And if so, what did you do?
Speaker 2: So? Uh, the genesis of other idea from Jess just your sister, No, Jess is the friend yep. So as the conversations evolved, we decided if we're going to do it, we were going to do it as a threesome. Because Jess comes from a really strong pr background. She's a she's a marketing weapon. So we thought, okay, well, let's see if this thing's got teeth. Actually, of the three of us, I've got rose colored glasses, so I optoms. Ah, I'm such an optimist, and it shits my sister to tears because she is. She's glass half empty. She's the one that pokes the holes in everything. So very quickly she was looking basically at the products themselves and doing back of envelopes sort of gross margin and saying, wow, if we can't make a seventy six percent gross margin on these products, this is a business just couldn't fly as soon as you start layering in all the overheads and everything. And I think, for me, that's why I mean to be honest, like she's the reason we're still here. Like the first time around, she was so young, but she cut her teeth on that first business, understanding the importance of cash flow, the importance of you know, preserving things like gross margin that are coming into it. In a second time, it was almost like we had a bit of a head start in terms of what the formula needed to be. So there was a good three months of starting to familiarize ourselves with this space because we didn't know anything about it from a retail perspective. We had a really strong feeling that there was a consumer appetite for it. The problem was could the numbers stack up?
Speaker 1: Do you do research for that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we use a lot of like trend analysis tools. We did from the outset. So we sort of said, okay, well, we're only going to start with five products. What would those five products be? We jumped onto Google trends. We started to look at search volumes per month for the types of products we were looking for, and to be honest of the sort of ten or so that we had ideas for five of them, they didn't even touch the sides. I think it was like, you know, five thousand people a month are looking for it. I'm like, well, we're never going to be able to make it work with globally in Australia. Yeah, so we started with Australia. So we narrowed it down to five that had a really healthy what were they doing? Yeah? So the water bottles was one. I think this was coming into this hole.
Speaker 1: This is this comfort bottle or as a water bottles.
Speaker 2: An actual like drink bottle.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this was all around this whole rhetoric around disposal of getting rid of single use plastics, and so we're like, okay, well there's going to be potentially a drive in this direction. Maybe we should see if there's legs for it in that sense. So reusable coffee cup was one, the water bottle was the other. There were obviously some like reusable travel accessories that came up in the pipe at the beginning, and we're talking like two hundred three hundred thousand searches a month for the category, and we sort of felt like that was a safety zone for us. We didn't want to go, you know, trying to sell something to people that they weren't looking for to start with.
Speaker 1: And then in terms of the design, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that was probably the greatest, the deepest part of the learning curve.
Speaker 1: What people want, What people.
Speaker 2: Want now it's easy. So like, for example, last week, we know the product that we want to do, we put together a survey. We've got a database over one hundred thousand now, so we flick the survey out and we ask them what they want and we just come up with, you know, five really simple questions and the answer always reveals itself so clearly, and it's almost always not what I thought. So, uh, everyone jokes that if I like it, there's a very strong chance that I won't work. I'm the litmus test for what we shouldn't do. So that's that's it's brilliant now, But in the beginning it was a bit yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so you're I did see in the notes that somehow Oprah winfy I had one of your drink bottles or something. What's the story around that?
Speaker 2: I know, I mean, I feel like I feel like it's one of those things that you think, oh, that just doesn't ever happen to anyone, but it actually did.
Speaker 1: How did she get the bottle? You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we haven't launched officially in the States, and we still haven't where. We don't like spreading ourselves too thin. I don't know if this is the right or wrong strategy, but we really want to nail things down hard here first before we go. So I think we're right at the cusp now. I think we've ironed out all the kinks in our so we're ready to roll. So it still blows my mind that she did stumble across it. She obviously has a team. Her event manager was organizing a birthday party for Oprah's best friend in Hawaii, and so we got a corporate inquiry because we almost half of our business now is corporate merch which is growing a lot faster than any other side of the business. And so it was an order for I think sixty units, which is not big for us. We didn't really pay attention, but it was O W Enterprises was the invoice out to get.
Speaker 1: Who picked it up? None of us, many of you where your staff, no one.
Speaker 2: We're our print manager printed Oprah to the bottle and we still didn't flinch. And then one week later, I think it was Oprah is doing a story on Instagram and she's holding the bottle in her hand and says, I've discovered one of the best bottles and it's got my name on it, and she's holding our bottle. And so the only way we actually found out was that our SEO manager rang up and said, oh, what's going on with the website, because you've just had the biggest spike of traffic. It's like the mount everest of traffic to your website. And we did a bit of digging in. That's when we worked it out.
Speaker 1: So what are your product lines now? So Manhammi SKWS, do you.
Speaker 2: Have so we're up to thirty SKUs. We've got eight coming before the end of the year, so we're really at the moment now we think that the where the growth is coming from outside of market growth is really getting fat depth of product range, because we've got a really healthy repeat customer rate and so obviously we're fortunate enough that the customers are liking what they see and so we want to hold onto them.
Speaker 1: Giving your stuff is fairly sustainable in terms of environmentally sustainable, et cetera. That sort of suggests to me repeat customers wouldn't be a thing because you make something that lasts a bloody long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, actually, so funny should say that, because one of the very first things that my sister Anthea said when we're talking about the business is she's like, it's not consumable. This is shit. Thinking that it is important to have a business that has this sort of like consumable element to it.
Speaker 1: It needs to be repeat business. That's a difficult question. Investor will say, why would your people keep why would someone keep coming back and buying more from you? Because you don't want to make something so good no one ever needs to buy another one, but just sort of do it. It's a bit weird, but from a's point of.
Speaker 2: View talking about it, it is I think, So I guess that comes back to the depth. So you get them sticky on the first product, hoping they'll come back.
Speaker 1: For more, buy one for their friend as opposed to one for themselves, or they might have lost their own. But it's not something. It's not because they've got destroyed or anything.
Speaker 2: No, and we've become a very strong gifting element, so we do. We were geeks when it comes to the data, and overwhelmingly we are a gifting product. I think we're trying to price point everything where we can fifty bucks an under because in this like in this climate, you know, the reality is people don't have the capacity to be splashing cash around, and so our premise is it's good quality, but we make it as lean and mean as we can. That's why we run such a lean chip because we're not in the position we don't want to be adding.
Speaker 1: For controlling overheads. Yeah, which means it disallows you from being able to maintain a price point, or at least being able to maintain your margine. You're seventy four percent margin and your sister likes to see. Yeah, how many past you say you had again? Coming up to thirty and you're going to release five coming up eight before the end of this year. And are we still talking about as gifting means? I could go on to your website. What's your website by the.
Speaker 2: Way, So it's basis dot com, b B.
Speaker 1: E y S Basis Basis dot com. I could go and then I could give something for well, Father's Day and Mother's Days over and most of my birthday's family birthdays are over. Christmas is coming up, I guess, so I could so corporately going there and say, let's I want to give all the staff something. What are the sorts of things that you'd be looking at?
Speaker 2: So, actually, corporate has been a real driver in how we're pivoting a bit with exkews.
Speaker 1: So I want to give everyone a Christmas present, okay? Or a gift at Christmas?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, what would you typically give your.
Speaker 1: I don't know the answer to that, so, but you know, be honestly, Okay, that job is someone in the organization and they put up four or five different things to me and say, what do you reckon? I wouldn't even get to see they'd just make the decision. But like, I'm up, what would you say?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we've got practicality. It has to be about practicality, but with an edge, you know, like we're not creating products that are mind blowing or groundbreaking. But for example, so we've got tech, So we've got beautiful laptop cases, we've got air podcases. From a stationary standpoint, we've got notebooks, leather bound notebooks. But we've gone and we've we get a team of industrial designers to come up with just trying to put a bit of a creative edge on what is effecting. Make something beautiful, make something beautiful, tactile, exactly.
Speaker 1: Nice to touch, nice to look at. Yeah, there's something I'm happy to and I'm more likely like do you do a yoga mat? For example?
Speaker 2: You know what that's that's a personalized one of the ones and really, well we're debating about it. We've got do you think that's good?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I would like that. I mean I would do that. I would give that to my female Well, I give it to a male stuff? Do I would? I would say, you know, hopefully someone in your family can use this.
Speaker 2: Yea, we might need to do a mark for a limited edition.
Speaker 1: But I actually a bit a good quality one that's been like an industrial designer that what you're talking about, who can look at what is best for it in terms of yoga mat because a lot of my crap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean this is the problem now, like we've got, you know, the likes of TEAMUS hitting the of the market and really really contaminating.
Speaker 1: I get so disappointed by something I do anyway because I go, fuck, it didn't look anything like yes what I saw on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like it's like going on a bad day, you know, going into it. And then you're like, I should have known.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we won't go down that train. But but it's it's got me plenty of times. But like it was like for me anyway, a yoga mat would be I think, I mean, I don't make that decision in my business because I'm hopeless, so that's someone also make the decision. But I just think that would be a great gift to give to people Christmas. Even if you don't do yoga, you will know somebody does do yoga, but pro can't personalize it then, But but how would you personalize it? Does it say? Does it say, have your name on the individual's name on it. Is that how it works?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So on the on the website, you've got about we say, we've got three hundred personalization options. So you put your text in. You can pick the placement of your text, you can pick the size of your text, you can pick the font. So you know, when you put that all together, you basically, aside from the fact that you can't write, you know, love and peace on one of the items, the character limit is the only thing that really stops you from making exactly as you want it.
Speaker 1: Can you can you say a little like a little could you put a like a little phrase?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we get so many phrases we actually don't have Like end of month, the fulfillment team will pick out something that you know, either made them love. I mean, there's some really controversial stuff that gets printed on our yeah I can imagine. Yeah, a lot of a lot of X rated stuff as well too, which I don't know why you ever want that on your water bottle, but people do so. Yeah, so it's really anything the sky's the limit.
Speaker 1: That's good because that's funny. I went to a place the other day and they gave me I was just trying this joint out. I won't say what it's called, but I was just trying to place out and they gave me a water bottle and a water bottle and a hoodie because it was the middle of winter at the time, but they had their brand all over it. And I won't wear it for a whole lot of reasons because you know, I don't advertise anyone else's brand for commercial reasons. But if it had had if it had to be personalized to me, like if they knew I was coming, they knew I was coming to the singing they and if they have given me water, going on to your website and ordered this in advance, and then it had you know mark, you know, welcome to whatever it is. I don't know whatever they put on there, but it was more personal to me, and as well as the hoodie. If it was personalise to me, and they could have asked me, you know, perhaps what what could have asked someone in my team what it would is what I would like to have on there, for example, I would be more likely to wear it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now I.
Speaker 1: Honestly I gave it to Saint Vincent's like I thought, I'm not going to wear that. So I had to actually put in one of those collection bins, you know, And I felt like real dead shit, like I thought, were you you but id because I've already got hoodies. But I thought ungrateful bugger, you know, like. But then I thought, no, but I'm not going to use it. I'm not going to leave that story in my cupboard and never wear it. It could sit there for twenty years and there be somebody out there who'd probably think is good. So I'm also give it away for free. But it become a hassle for me because these people gave me something to become a hassle for me. I started thinking about it. I started guilt tripping about it. Then I had to go on my way to drop it off, like the whole process, and I was just thinking something. I never thought about that at the time, but what you offer, but your offering is much more practical and smarter. It's actually a better out on for me because I would have been much I would have thought that was much cooler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't know. I think there's something about personalizay. I mean it appeals to the ego, right, like we want to see out something about ourselves, like on our on you know, things that we have even.
Speaker 1: Name, but maybe something that they ring my team up and they said, my team likes Mark likes I know, Koalas or an image of a gorilla on there or something, right, that would have been cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Well, actually some of our big corporates have got cottoned onto that. So what we do as a service is we actually build a page which is unique to the corporate and so then you know, we've just finished this for a very big bank which I won't say which one, And basically they were giving four hundred gifts to employees that have performed particularly well, and so they actually just gave them all a QR code. We built a bespoke landing page for them, and every employee went on and they put exactly what they wanted on it. That's cool And then obviously that is a bit more legwork for us. But in terms of the impact of.
Speaker 1: If you charge with the bank will pay for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And at the end of the day, that meant that everyone was a winner, really, I mean, we obviously were, but it meant that the banks were not just pissing money up or wall. They were gifting something that was genuinely going to be used and valued valuab.
Speaker 1: I mean that's very interesting. Where to you from now? So you launching your new range?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we are off to the States. This is like the next the next part of the equation. We're actually at this crossroads obviously, you know, because we're this is in our first rodeo. We know it's a it's a it's a big deal. We want to get it right. We don't want to you know, stuff it up. So we're currently working out strategically who we potentially partner with to do it.
Speaker 1: So be a collaboration in the US.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think in an ideal world, we might find an investor that helps take us there who's done it all before. But you know, we're at that exploratory phase at the moment.
Speaker 1: We're going to go in to the US.
Speaker 2: Well, we we've been using again Google as our litmus test. We ran ad campaigns actually in the top three states that we thought might be our market, and Los Angeles by far and away as a city, well California obviously as a state is by far and away. It performs like three times return on our ad spend than any other state over there. So I guess we'll go where the money is telling us off to the valley. Off to the valley.
Speaker 1: It's going to be great. But it's pretty exciting though.
Speaker 2: It's really exciting. I mean, this is the bit that gets me.
Speaker 1: Really be Seeing Clayton Utes in Bly Street now and just like signing off on some big piece of advice that someone's been seeking and charging fifteen hundred bucks an hour.
Speaker 2: I peture I wouldn't have even made partner.
Speaker 1: I reckon it would have. But like you so lately, where would you rather be?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't even know that I need to answer that question for me personally, this stuff like there is never a day I wake up and I'm like, I don't want to go to work.
Speaker 1: So well that's pretty cool. Yeah, so you actually wake up, Yeah, I want to get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know we're still in infancy modes. So it's not like the like, if I can be honest, like, it's not the money that's getting me out of bed, it's this this adventure fire. Yeah, and even last year having to step out of the business to get back on top of things health wise. The thing that ate me up the most was the fact that I couldn't go in and I tried my hardest to where I could.
Speaker 1: But yeah, maybe the thing that propelled you for just continue on with getting better was the fact that you wanted to go back to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really did so well that.
Speaker 1: It's a great story. By the way, I'm glad you've recovered. You're everything's in remission.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got the all clear in at the end of February, just this. Yeah, so I'm fresh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well dangerous, You're very dangerous. And that your sister outside, No, that's.
Speaker 2: Just that's the genesis of the idea, Jess.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well, and your sister's still involved with which is.
Speaker 2: Back in the office doing the month end reports, and.
Speaker 1: Well, the three of you are killing it. And it's great to see, by the way, after all this period that you're still and the trials and tribulations as you've gone through personally, it's good to see that the three of you is still involved together. Yeah, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I think we I mean in terms of Anthey and I, because they always warn you, you know, you don't go into business with family or friends, and I've both basically broken both of those rules and I won't lie. There's always teething issues in the beginning, just everyone I guess getting comfortable with their place.
Speaker 1: But I mean there's no ego. Then you've got to get You've got to smooth your egos out, you do. I'm in business of my brother, and you know there are moments, but because he's my brother or I'm his brother, like we tend to forgive each other much easier where the type of brothers. But it can be extraordinarily frustrating because you know, it's a it has other consequences if you're arguing.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean, my sister is my best friend. And I feel like our first business experience, we a couple of times we got so close to the why that we were like, you know what, if this is going to cost us our relationship, we shouldn't do this again. And we got through that hurdle. So now we're on the we're on the home straight in terms of the business relationship. Now it's just about digging deep and trying to get this thing really churning.
Speaker 1: Well. Good luck to you, Arianna Henry. Arianna, your mum named you or Ariana because in terms of the story she told you at least, and it's a good story is that Arianna was the daughter of a goddess, a Greek goddess or something like that was one of the first feminists around or something.
Speaker 2: Like that, where that story goes, Yeah, mom, so mummy is Greek, and she she, she said, I gave her such a horrific time through pregnancy that I was going to be a ball breaker coming out, and she thought the name was appropriate.
Speaker 1: So well, good on you, and good on you for standing up for what women should be doing and what women can do and actually leading by example.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much, Malcome, Thanks for having me