Speaker 1: Careers over since you did this in the he said, you know this is a fake. Richard R. W. Would never be seen in baggy jeans like that.
Speaker 2: For those listening at home, Richard exclusively wears jeans so type that leggings.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, when you've got legs like that, it's a good way to ensure that there's no more Wilkins children.
Speaker 3: Hi, and welcome to separate bathrooms. We would like to acknowledge the Gadigal people of the e Or nation, the traditional custodians of this land, and pay our respects to the eldest, both past and present. I'm Cam Daddo, I'm Ali Daddo. We are the Dados and you and us collectively what we're in for a treat today.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Obviously we're a relationship podcast, you know that. And we've been really fortunate to speak with people in all sorts of relationships and about relationships and how to be better in relationships.
Speaker 3: So as far as people in relationships go, we've had all manner of lovers and marriads, working relationships friendships. Today is a first a father son relationship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, chances are you will know them. We're really really excited to have them on It's Ozzie TV icon. Richard Wilkins and his fabulous son Christian.
Speaker 3: Rich has been in the industry for over four decades. He's interviewed the world's biggest movie TV music stars. He's an author and weekend announcer on the top rating FM station Smooth, A little Bit.
Speaker 5: Familiar, a little Bit and his son Christian is making his way very nicely too. He's been acting and MCing. He's made a major run at the Mirror Ball Trophy in Dancing with the Stars and worked his way into the hearts of Australians when he participated in the SBS Dooco, Filthy, Rich and Homeless.
Speaker 3: He's charitable, he's passion and building a reputation as one of Australia's most well connected, informed and well liked individuals. Together they're hosting a brand new podcast called The Apple and the Tree.
Speaker 5: Maybe we'll find out who is the apple and who is the tree. Please welcome Richard and Christian Welkins.
Speaker 3: Welcome men to the bathroom.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. Hi, Christian, Butler's in here. I love that.
Speaker 4: Gorgeous special stuff.
Speaker 3: You are our first father and son relationship, so a good thing. It is a great thing.
Speaker 4: We don't have to ask how you met and proposed he was in the hospital love at first sight.
Speaker 3: Was he there when you were born? Were you there when Christian was born?
Speaker 1: I was there when he was born. Yeah, it's funny. He said something quite deep the other days, said, you know, I've known you for all my life, but you've only known me for the last twenty nine years, which is quite amazing.
Speaker 4: That is right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of weird to think of your parents having a life before here like now, I'm obviously the center of his universe, but I just assumed that it was always that way.
Speaker 1: Good luck with that.
Speaker 5: You're always just the dream that he was having and you arrived. That's what I tell about my kids. It was like you were the sparkle in my eye before you were born.
Speaker 4: You're always there.
Speaker 1: He often walks into a room and introduces himself to people, say Hey, I'm Christian. I'm Richard's favorite child. I don't know if you're so so not, Well, you did it my my dad.
Speaker 3: My dad had a great ada. It is untrue, by the way, So my dad had a wonderful answer to body our youngest daughter, because she said to him Parpy, I'm your favorite granddaughter, and Parpy said, well, body, if you're in front of me right now, you are my favorite granddaughter.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: There's eleven grades.
Speaker 3: Eleven of them, and he makes them all feel like he's their favorite. Yeah, they are their favorite. Well, Christian, you mentioned that you know about your dad and knowing well that he had a life before you were born. How was it growing up with a famous dad.
Speaker 2: I always loved it because I always had that like entertainer inside of me too, and I always found what he did so exciting and I love following him around and he'd be like, do you want to come to this like Kate Hudson premiere And I'm like seven years I'm like yes, like adult things that I would have no real interest in, But I just I was always so inspired by him, and I loved the fact that he loved what he did so much, and that really motivated me to do the same thing with myself.
Speaker 5: Did you know that Christian was going to head into the entertainment industry early?
Speaker 1: I think so because he's very talented and he's very He was always interested in the business and knows more now about social media and about everything to do with it with the business. You know, he's like a little Wikipedia or a Google there. You know, he knows so much about so much of the business. But I think, yeah, he was always very theatrical when he was a youngster, and I did used to drag him off to things. But you know, if he was with me and I had to go to London for a Harry Potter premiere or something, or to do some interviews, you know, I use up some points and take him along with me sort of things. Many many, many many times, right.
Speaker 5: Were your mates or jealous of you that you were able to go do that, go meet Daniel Radcliffe?
Speaker 1: And yes or not?
Speaker 2: I feel like I was good at sharing the good times around. But I also think I was so grateful and had so much like admiration for Dad getting to do this that I think people just kind of liked the positivity that came with it, you know, Like I'd like to think that I was never kind of like a snotty, arrogant kid that was kind of bragging about it. It was always sort of in a very genuine, loving place.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Of course, was there a moment, Christian where you realized that maybe your dad was not like the other dads at your school.
Speaker 2: I remember being in kindergarten and someone coming out to me and being like talking to me a lot because my dad was on the Today Show, and like, obviously I knew that, but that was just like what my dad did. And I like went and told my older sister and she was like, well, you should have seen what it was like in the nineties when he was on MTV, because that was crazy. And I was like, oh, maybe this thing is not like the other.
Speaker 5: Do you have a favorite memory together? Is there something that out of your childhood or when Christian was little that or younger. Maybe it was you know last week. Is there a favorite memory that you have with each other?
Speaker 1: We've spent so much time together. Yeah, you know, we really have. It's hard to isolate any one thing. I think we've become incredibly close because we've just spent so much time together. You know, he moved into to my place when he was at school. His mum and I used to you know, we never argued because we both wanted him all the time. But you know, he's lived under my roof from the age oild were. I think when you moved in seventeen something like that full time, but always stayed, you know, the house, So we've become very very very close love it. I don't know, is there any thing that stands tall? Probably straveling around, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we were planning a big family holiday last year and it kind of got a little railroad some other things, but Dad and I ended up going and spending a couple days in Santorini and then going to Sweden for a friend's wedding. And there was one night, I think it was our last night in Santorini, where I just ran down to the local stock, got some euros and we just sat watching the sunset plane Jim Rummy, and that was a pretty beautiful moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Then we got on a plane the next day and flew from Santorini to Finland and then flew again to Oslo, rented a car and went to his best friend's wedding in Sweden, which was quite the trip, just him and I hanging out, trying to work out, trying to work out how to plug in the bloody electric car over that that was the favorite moment of the trip.
Speaker 3: Can I ask you, Richard, you know, as you know, we're both in the entertainment business, I spent a lot of time away from home.
Speaker 1: It was always a.
Speaker 3: Challenge for me to stay present in the kids' lives when I was away.
Speaker 1: How did you do that? How have you done that through your life? Well, I've got to touch wood, because the kids are all so wonderful and we have fantastic relationships with each other and them with each other and all that stuff. So something worked along the way. And even if I was away, I would always talk to the kids every day. I would always make a point of ringing, even if I'm in LA for a week or New York or something, always try and wring them on their time, just to even if it was just a thirty second conversation, how I'm thinking of your how's everything? How did the exam go? And just love, you know, and when you are together, just giving them the time, you know, really just connecting. I think that's not a secret, but that's I hope what I've done along the way. Just really invest in the relationship and in them, be interested in their lives and generous and loving and caring. It's clearly worked. Yeah, definitely, Well it's not there yet, still worked.
Speaker 4: It's always a work in progress.
Speaker 5: Yeah, where we're constantly working without older kids as well, Like you're still parenting them, you're still working on the changes in their relationship like that just sort of never gets put down in a way, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like how do you connect when you're away with the kids. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, again, Alice helped me a lot, especially when they were little, little kids, because I worked was working on the other side of the country. I was in Toronto a lot. I spent a lot of time in Canada working in al was with the kids in Los Angeles, so she had pictures of me on the fridge. I would call when I could. It's difficult if you're on set and there's set hours and they're on LA time and it was just all messed up. So but there was one thing that I did do when they were young, and that was I traced my hand on a piece of paper and I'd send that for facts that paper through back in the day. But I'd send the paper through with my hand and they would color it in. That was that was one thing. And then books on tape. I'd read, read the book and send the cassette tape with the book. Yeah, but the funny thing was one time I came home and I said to Ali, where's Lolo? And she said, she's in her room. And I stood out. The door was closed, and I stood outside the door, and I could hear my voice and if she was listening to the tape and reading the book. And I knock on the door and I said, hey, Lola, and she said not yet until she was finished.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful, beautiful I did was ring them. You did all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, sometimes I couldn't ring them though, And I'm having a bit of like right now, when you said I rang them every day, I didn't do that every I couldn't do it every day. And sometimes I go, I just I'm so deep in my own whatever, you know, actory stuff that sometimes I didn't ring every day. And and I think, I see how it's worked with you two, the relationship you have, and I know that. Like I've just gotten back from overseas and I haven't spoken to River yet. You know, I've been back a couple of days and I haven't spoken to him in probably a week and a half, and I'm like, oh, I want to, you know, And it hasn't wrung me either, So I'm like, I want to ring me, but I realized that I have to. If I want it, I've got to take the action.
Speaker 1: Of course. Yeah. Yeah, I've seen you two interact together. You might be talking about separate bathrooms, but you really are best friends, aren't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you have bathrooms?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Currently bathroom.
Speaker 4: It's nice.
Speaker 5: We've not had it many a time we've not had it, and it's much better for the relationship.
Speaker 2: Absolutely being able to take your time as you get ready, like I want my little makeup, count of my little beauty, count of.
Speaker 5: Nasty smells, no nasty smells.
Speaker 3: But also it's nice to have that that bit of mystique.
Speaker 4: I had to.
Speaker 5: Teach you that because you were always about like.
Speaker 4: Just poe in front of men't mind. I'm like, I'm not going to do that. I don't want to.
Speaker 3: I said those words.
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 3: So I grew up.
Speaker 1: I grew up in a he just poo in front of me, just pooh in front of me.
Speaker 3: I don't know that was might have meant that, but but my brothers and I we had because there were so many kids in our house growing up. In order to get through the routine of the morning, had to be sitting on the duney one was shaving and one was one was showering and the other one was each other off cycle through the bathroom like that.
Speaker 1: So not all of be cycling through the bathroom.
Speaker 4: No, but that's the way it was.
Speaker 3: It was like it was like a locker room. Yeah, and so it didn't My sister had her own place. So I'm not sure that I won't want you to put in front of him. I don't know that is important.
Speaker 5: Speaking of podcasts, how whose idea was it to come up with the podcast that you too have launched, The Apple and the Tree?
Speaker 4: Whose idea? How did it come about?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Why? I love working with Dadda.
Speaker 2: I personally present company excluded think that he is, you know, the best in the business. And it's any opportunity that you get to work with someone that's not only incredible in their field and you can learn from, but also someone that you genuinely enjoy spending the time with, that's an amazing opportunity that you know, very rarely comes up. And I wanted to create something that we could do together, and I really wanted to create as well, like an opportunity for Dad to be seen in a different platform as well, because I think that he is so incredible at what he does and he should be seen and heard by as many people and be recognized for that. And it's you know, it's kind of a combination lux of situation that we've been able to do it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there was the actors and writers' strikes going on, so you know, he moved to LA a week before the writer's strikes started, so yeah, timing was everything there. So you know, it's become a passion project that's really done well, is doing well, and it's open ended.
Speaker 4: We love it's really doing well.
Speaker 5: And the fact that you to get to still like you're in separate countries, but you're getting to see each other and interact each other. I'm sure that's a beautiful way to keep in contact as well.
Speaker 1: It's very cool. Yeah, we did the first few at home, which is we both love working at home. I do as much as I possibly can.
Speaker 2: There despite appearances, we're both actually introvert, so we love to be.
Speaker 1: Like, oh what if we did this at home? Yeah, you know, staying at home is a pretty good option. Mixing it out there in the mean streets wherever you are yeah.
Speaker 3: I love this idea of I hate to say it because the word's been used for me and my brothers. It's like a reverse nepotism happening with you guys, but the Christians actually come up with an idea on how to involve his.
Speaker 1: Dad in a job situation.
Speaker 3: But I do understand that you guys or Christian you particularly have a thought about that word nepotism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's I find it a kind of funny word. I find it this people label it like it's this big slight. Personally, I'm like, if I'm a nepo baby, which I a Napo baby, it's you know, it's and I fully acknowledge that, you know, dud was in the industry and definitely helped me get my start and get sort of awareness, and people were interested in me because I was going to stuff with ad. But I'd also like to say that I would like a bit of a napper baby refund because they also want to be like a Burbery model or like a Kardashian.
Speaker 1: Ideally, please, I'm a neo data now.
Speaker 3: I'm a daddo.
Speaker 5: But you would have liked Kate Master have been your mom, and ye.
Speaker 2: Can Kardashian be my sister, you know, like or like Dennis Quaid's incredible son who's in the Boys, you know, like one of those things would have been ripped off. Sweet, but I'm doing pretty okay.
Speaker 5: They never use that term though. If your dad's a plumber and your son becomes a plumber, they never go, oh you nepo baby, look at you getting into the same industry. Like it never sort of crosses into that sort of world.
Speaker 1: But why wouldn't you want to help your kids?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Absolutely your siblings, you know, it's like anybody's like, you want to you want to do that?
Speaker 3: Let me see what I can do?
Speaker 2: Of course, of course, And I think, you know, if that, if that's the worse that they can really say, than whatever. It's I'm proud to be Dad's son, and at the end of the day, I'd like to think at least that I'm sort of proving what I can do myself as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can help someone or teach them how to knock on a door, but.
Speaker 3: He's got to walk through it and.
Speaker 1: Be charming on the other side of it, you know. And I've got jazz hands.
Speaker 5: How do you find trolling and you know, what is the best way that you found that you deal with them.
Speaker 2: I like to go back with indifference or agreeing. Like one time someone told me that I should audition for the Muppets because I had a big nose. And then I tagged my manager and I was like, I'm going to fire you. This man's out here trying to get me jobs. What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Like, like where else do they go with that? Then?
Speaker 2: Like, if you start agreeing to be honest, it's I feel like, at least at this stage in my life, I have a pretty good sense of self and I like me, and I feel like you can't really water a.
Speaker 1: Seed that isn't there. Yeah, so yeah, whatever, And don't read the comments ever, you know, I mean people go down rabbit holes, said, but people go down rabbit holes and get you know, we all know people who How do you guys deal with the comments?
Speaker 5: My favorite thing is block and delete, Like they're my two favorite things. Is just I've clapped back a couple of times and it's never gone well, so it's just it's just delete, block, delete block.
Speaker 4: They're my favorites.
Speaker 1: I reckon James Blunt sets a good example. I was going to mention him. You know, James Blunt has no talent and no good songs, and he'll come back and say and no mortgage. Like indifference is fantastic humor.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 5: I know I don't sometimes I just don't have the wherewithal to do that. I've clapped back on some of the trolling that can scott those boxes.
Speaker 4: That's actually upset me more.
Speaker 1: When they when they attack your family, it does help much more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, and then it's harder to be indifferent than and I.
Speaker 3: Just like, I can't imagine anybody trashing Richard Wilkins.
Speaker 1: Just people that are jealous of his hair.
Speaker 3: What ahead of hair?
Speaker 1: You've both come on readable those things of me being arrested in parks and things all around the world, which his career is over since he did this, and then he came up with the best thing could he's he put one up somewhere and said, you know, this is a fake Richard R. W would never be seen in baggy jeans like that, which.
Speaker 2: Of those listening at home, Richard exclusively wears tape that leggings.
Speaker 1: Well, you know when you've got legs like this, children.
Speaker 5: That Yeah, and Christian you have been so beautiful and vulnerable and open about being bullied in your earlier years. And I know again you know, talking about when someone that you love is being attacked in some way. I guess the question for you is, actually, Richard, how was that? Did you know that that was happening? And how did you feel?
Speaker 1: No, I wasn't so aware of him being bullied at school, like physically bullied. I remember coming home from work one day when he was there and telling him about an article in the paper about him being the spoilt little whatever who had gone along to a function that I was hosting, the Mother of All Boars, with Brian Brown and Rachel Watt and their kids, and one of the gospel columnists wrote this hideous article and it broke my heart. Yeah, and I didn't want him to hear about it from anybody else. So, sitting on the end of his bed, I was disgusted by that, because that really is bullying public.
Speaker 4: And picking on children.
Speaker 3: So how did how did you? How did you do that? What did you say to Christian in that moment? I started from telling him about it.
Speaker 1: I'm doing I'm sorry, there's a horrible piece in the paper today, but I want to tell you about it. Do you want me to read it to you or I just want to ignore it? He's I can't even remember where we went from them. But you know, I don't think you read it to me. I don't know if I needed to be read it. Well, whatever, I think I read it, I wanted you to be aware. Yeah, so that's pretty awful. You hate seeing you know, people you love, you know, child or anybody being treated badly. It's just as simple as that. And for a person to attack a kid in such a public forum, I think I just hated that pretty much. But I wasn't aware of what was going on at school. I think he pretty much kept that to yourself, didn't you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I told mum because I guess teachers knew. I think it's just I think it's sometimes easy to actually forget how far we've come in quite a short period of time. You know, I'm only twenty nine, and sure we have lots of representation and diversity now, and it's you know, people are very encouraging and they're very aware of the language that they use. But still, when I was in you know, year three or four, I remember girls teasing me and telling me that I was gay, And you know, that's at an age that I knew that I was different, but I didn't necessarily know why I was different. And it's definitely far beyond any sort of sexual feelings develop and you know, it's still being pointed out that you are different because of this thing. It's it definitely that planted a seed for a while, you know, and it's kind of plants that seed of you're wrong for this reason and that's a bad thing. And I think that that kind of often develops in a lot of queer people to be a sort of self hating thing because that's what they're told as kids.
Speaker 3: And how do you think you've evolved that or how did you evolve that? Because clearly that's you don't seem to lack confidence or value in yourself.
Speaker 2: I definitely think a large part of it is my family and my parents. You know, they always very much encouraged me to be whoever I wanted to be. The conversation was always very open. I never needed to come out. I never needed there was never this straight until proven otherwise kind of mentality. And because they gave me space to sort of explore who I was, and small things like dyeing my hair and wearing different clothes and stuff like that without question or judgment kind of allowed me to resettle my feelings and kind of discover who I was. And I'm forever very grateful for that.
Speaker 1: We just let him be who he is and what a great result.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right, that's right. We talk a lot about our son and very similar mind.
Speaker 5: He's a beefcake now, you know, in short shirts, loves gym, but when he was a little boy, like he just really loved to wear women, his sister's clothing, and was if it was Halloween, it was Lady Gaga, it was the Good Witch of the North, like he always chose.
Speaker 1: The West. He did hang out all love him.
Speaker 4: He's awesome.
Speaker 5: But what I remember so vividly is, you know, someone asked him he had this big twirly skirt that he loved to wear, and someone said, why why are you wearing that? Reven He goes, because it just feels so good on my legs, and I went, yeah, like that makes so much sense to me, like why can't he wear this?
Speaker 4: You know, not that he didn't.
Speaker 5: We never ever, ever said no to any of that, and you know, and my mum and dad God loved them. They just thought it was delightful. And you know, they take him shopping at the costume store and it was straight.
Speaker 4: To the princess, to the princess outfit.
Speaker 5: It fells outfit, yeah, just better like it was just yeah.
Speaker 4: And I think that's really huge to hear.
Speaker 1: That he was very fond of. Really are the best to dress up in and the scotsmen have been doing it for centuries.
Speaker 4: Yes, and they're as sexy as Helen. That is kill.
Speaker 1: You went on that family trip to.
Speaker 3: Dudes in their to me, it was more about the pipes. What's Richard? Give us an idea of some of the things that you've you've learned from Christian.
Speaker 1: Wow, I've learned a lot about myself from watching the way he operates. I mean, even with our podcast as recently as the last few weeks hearing him. He's just got such an open, inquiring mind which I just admire, and his sense of humor is second to none. I've learned how to be a good friend. He is the most wonderful friend to his friends, who are mainly mainly girls he went to school with who were such a great bunch. He got lucky there. He's a very very good friend. He's very generous, he's very carrying, he's a very good cook. I've learned the value of family, I think through my kids, you know, because when they're born, as you know, this whole set of emotions develops or pears that you didn't know you were capable of. Yeah, I agree with that, And suddenly you're not so selfish anymore, and there are other people to care for and look after and nurture and protect and advise and teach. So I think, you know, I've learned to be a better person. My parents were beautiful people. I never saw them have a fight. I never saw them have a cuddle either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it was very It.
Speaker 1: Was a very straight You talked about sending things in the mail. My dad used to send me when I was at boarding school. He used to send me letters with long division on them. There was no dear rich or anything. It was just long division to practice practice.
Speaker 3: I guess that's the way. He just making sure you knew how to add up all the numbers of all the money you're going to make it down the line.
Speaker 1: So it was kind of it wasn't tough love, but it was just sort of strict sort of love. But they were really good people. And I've often said I want to be more like my dad because he was just a just a good, decent person. So that's what I don't send me long division though, please, Yeah, I've already posted it there. I want to be a better make myself a better person all the time, to be when I fall off the perch. You know, I'd like people just to say he was a great guy.
Speaker 4: I'm sure they will. I'm sure they do it. I know they do already.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure you're talking to That's the same for everyone.
Speaker 5: For you, Christian, is there anything an equality in your dad that you hope to emulate?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think from both my parents, I've learned the value of authenticity and being genuine to who you are. I feel like both of them are very unapologetic in their existence, and I think that that's a wonderful way to be. And I think that they're both extremely loving and they're genuine with their love. You can I feel like you can feel their love and the people that they love around them, and I think that that's it's a beautiful space to grow up in and I feel very grateful for that.
Speaker 1: It's nice. Thank you though you're welcome.
Speaker 3: Is there a favorite way that you guys support each other.
Speaker 1: I think we just show up for each other. Yeah, it's just unconditional you know, yeah, can we do this? Yeah, of course, let's go sort of thing. Yeah. Yeah, it's just unconditional love. There's no secret to that. I don't think we just we're just there for each other totally. And we almost have like a shorthand now where we can be at a situation and something can happen and we can look at each other and we both know exactly what they are the ones thinking. I know one of them is asking a question.
Speaker 2: I'm like, no, no, that's fine. Like it's there's so much unspoken that I kind of I love that almost telepathic.
Speaker 1: I know we'll go soon, I know.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you just feel the energy come up towards you. Is like, yeah, I have that with my eldest daughter. She's been away for over a year now. But it's I love that language where there's actually just an eye roll or like you just say say one word and they.
Speaker 4: Immediately get it. I love that. It's so good.
Speaker 3: Now it's not just with lotus because when I so, I've just come back from overseas and and last night we're sitting there and body and you shared an eye roll at each other, and I've caught it and gone, what's that? What are you doing?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 3: I know? I was like, what have I forgotten.
Speaker 1: About you?
Speaker 3: What have I missed? And for both just goes Dad. I'm like, am I supposed to know that you're on holidays? Still?
Speaker 5: Yes, we've told you a few times.
Speaker 1: Yes, just remember stuff.
Speaker 3: Then I have to write it down.
Speaker 1: Do you have to write it down? Yes? I have a diary.
Speaker 3: Remember I have an old school diary. I write it down in my diary.
Speaker 1: And if it's not in the diary, it doesn't happen.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, you guys are twins.
Speaker 5: Seriously, all I hear Itch is like, is cam go is it in my diary?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I didn't read my diary. Where's my diary? Like it's the running joke in the family. It's like, is it in the diary?
Speaker 4: Honey? Did you put it in the diary? It's not in the diary, so yeah, it doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: I do just exactly right, diary. I can't believe it missed it.
Speaker 1: I take my diary everywhere.
Speaker 2: One of my girlfriends is a dialist at Channel nine and she was trying to organize for dad to go out and buy some new suits and stuff. And she's like, okay, well you've organized the state. And I was like, did you see him write it down? And she's like, no, I didn't, And I was like, go back, get him to write it down. Otherwise it's not happening exactly.
Speaker 3: But the question is how many black suits can one man own?
Speaker 1: Well, that's a good point. We're going for a bit of a cover change nice and trying to expand the horizons.
Speaker 4: Right Ryan Gosling change, Well.
Speaker 1: Not quite as radical as Ryan, but you could rock a Ryan though. We're going for some grays and light blues and right dark blues.
Speaker 3: Color.
Speaker 1: Mate, you've got blue eyes, Well yeah, I quite like blue. But you know, in the television world, when so much of what you do is pre records and blah blah blah, I just wear the same thing for continuity. So you can throw it to an interview you did two weeks ago, and you're going to be wearing the same clubber smart.
Speaker 5: See, what are some dreams or aspirations that you have in the future, whether it's together or.
Speaker 4: On your own. I'm sure Christian, you've got some thing. Is that your way over there in La I do?
Speaker 2: I mean acting has always kind of been the goal, and that's that's why I'm here. But things that I've always wanted to do together. I've always wanted to host an award show, ideally the Arias together. I'd love to do that with data or even present something with data the Arias, And I've always wanted to when I ideally make it whatever that looks like, I've always wanted to do it, like proper sit down interview with data. I just think that would be so much fun. Well with me interviewing you or you interviewing me.
Speaker 1: Oh you're interviewing me? Now you like me to interview? Yeah? Would you really?
Speaker 2: I mean not now, I haven't got much to say.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that would be awesome, wouldn't it. There's Christian, how was it you know when you one year Emmy or what was.
Speaker 1: It like getting up there and accepting your second Oscar?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Was it as satisfying as the first one? Stuff like that exactly?
Speaker 4: How about for you?
Speaker 5: I mean you've you've hit so many goals, it seems is there more that you want?
Speaker 1: Oh look, part of me would have loved to go to the States seriously and give it a crack as well, you know, But I became a parent at a fairly early age, and coming to Australia was a big deal at the time. I came here in nineteen eighty with my little band. You know, part of me wishes I'd kept going to la or London or something, but I fell in love with this country and I can't imagine living anywhere else now. But you know, I would have loved have had a sliding doors opportunity to go over there and see what would happen in the world. In fact, you know, when your brother started working at MTV, I was hosting MTV here and I went over and did some stuff in New York and they offered me a job over there. At the time I was in nineteen eighty seven, I said, I've only just started back in Australia, you know, and I can't come and live here anyway. But I worked for I think two months or a month or six weeks or something. Over the Christmas break when all their regular vjays were off, and I love that, and I think they liked having an Aussie there and I think that's maybe part of the reason that your brother got to start over there and did really well. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, so I would have quite liked to have done that. Someone said to me the other day, what's your big regret, And I said, well, I stopped writing songs, And then they said, well, that's just a stupid thing to say, because you can start again, you know, because I stopped. Some of them are getting quite good. But also in recent times, I'm really looking forward to taking some more time out for me and the family because I've always worked so bloody hard. Yeah, never took holidays because you're sort of protecting your patch of ground there. You don't want a dato filling in for you because it might be too bloody good.
Speaker 3: So I've realized in the last seven years, so I.
Speaker 1: Want to spend more time, you know, and take some more family holidays stuff like that. That's definitely on the two do list.
Speaker 3: Love that well, I mean, you've done an amazing job throughout the years and so consistent, you know, and.
Speaker 1: Might look that way, it doesn't necessarily feel like that all the time.
Speaker 3: No, it doesn't.
Speaker 1: It doesn't.
Speaker 3: It doesn't feel like that, and I understand that though the truth of it is, and the reality is is that you've been part of the Australian landscape for forty years.
Speaker 1: I know I've worked hard. I do know that consistently. Yeah, you know, work hard at doing a good job and enjoying it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's excellent. All right, guys. We do a thing called a two minute shower. You ever had a two minute shower? Christian? No, who spends more time looking after their hair?
Speaker 1: Him? Oh? Actually? Him? Oh come on, I washed my hair last Wednesday. It stinks yuck. I watched it every second day. Seat eager.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, well, we do a two minute shower. So it just basically means keep your answer short, if possible, far away honey.
Speaker 5: Okay, what's something that you love about yourself that you wished more people noticed.
Speaker 4: Or saw in you?
Speaker 1: Long pause?
Speaker 2: You finally came up with a question that shut us up. I feel like I'm smarter than people give me credit for. Ah yeah, even yeah. I even said that to Dad when we're on holidays. I was like, enough with the Christian stupid jokes, now, thank you.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're stupid, silly thing. I think I wish people knew how much I care about them sometimes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you have a very very very kind heart, and I don't know if people know.
Speaker 1: That, if they only heart. Thank you, Thank you for that. Ali.
Speaker 3: By the way, if they made a movie of your relationship, what genre would it be and who would play you?
Speaker 1: Romance?
Speaker 2: And I want Laura down interesting choice. She's tall, she's lanky, she's got weird movements, she is funny.
Speaker 3: I did do a film with her, and she's funny, funny lady. And she's right, she is very tall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've always thought I'd like Whoopy Goldberg to play me in a movie.
Speaker 4: Okay, not my first choice, but.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's the genre?
Speaker 1: The genre would be a love story.
Speaker 3: A love story between Laura Dern and Whoopy Goldberg class.
Speaker 1: I said in a Formula one motor racing circuit, it's got oscar written all over.
Speaker 3: It does directed by Rennie Harlan.
Speaker 4: I said something directed by him the other day, and I was like, I know that. Note it was a really.
Speaker 3: Bad film too, the Pirate movie.
Speaker 4: No, he's done something recently, I sho Cliffhanger.
Speaker 1: Was that him?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I get better ones, wasn't it?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: All right, sorry, the shower is still running. Okay, last question. Can you describe each other in one word?
Speaker 1: Magnificent? Oh cute.
Speaker 2: I'd say lover, but not in like a weird sexual way and like a kind of like he spoke to He's a big lover of people and has a big heart.
Speaker 1: That's more than one will. That's okay, that's in the world with an explanation.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Christian and Richard Wilkins. You are our first father and son on this relationship.
Speaker 4: Podcast, our favorite father and.
Speaker 3: Our favorite fund. Thank you so much for being here with us.
Speaker 1: What a great chat. It's well, we've loved you so much. I've loved it. If you loved it, Christian, I have, I have. I can't see anyone. I wish that I could, but and listener.
Speaker 3: That's because Christian is in a studio in Los Angeles living his best life and his dream and mate, go, well, yeah, thank.
Speaker 1: You so much. I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: What's just just quickly, what would be your absolute dream role?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I love I would love to do something with Ryan Murphy. I just think that his representation of diverse voices is so spectacular. And it inspired me when I was younger and continues to do so, and the opportunity to work with him would be a real dream come true.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's out, it's out in the universe.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's manifest that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now go splash some water in Santa Monica Bay over yourself down at.
Speaker 1: Ocean, Hannah, I'm making a splash. You go and wash your hair.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thank you, love you guys, Thanks so much.
Speaker 3: Did that surprise you in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 5: I mean, I knew that they were fabulous, both of them.
Speaker 4: There's just a.
Speaker 5: Warmth there that really comes across in person, like I said, you know, with Richard. But what didn't surprise me is the love between the two of them that comes across all the time to me, the way Richard always talks about Christian and vice versa in the public arenas, always with so much love and respect. So that didn't surprise me. I love that about those two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it didn't surprise me because I know them and I've seen them together in Richard's house. I see how they are, how they relate to each other, and how supportive they are of each other. And as we sort of talked about or we did talk about people don't know he's firing questions. Mostly when we see him on TV is just how lovely and warm he is.
Speaker 4: That really comes across.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love sitting with him at events, and that's when we first started working together at Smooth. I didn't really know Richard, but over ten years or more now working together at Smooth and spending time with him, I always look forward to seeing him and hanging out with him.
Speaker 5: You know what did surprise me is when Christian said that we're both introverts, and that always it's always amazing. We're people in the public eye and often people who are you know, Christian's very exuberant, and you know, to say that he's an introvert, it's like Grant Danya. I remember when we had him and Chezi on that He's like, I am actually an introvert and like to be home and be quiet, and you're like, wait, what you know? And it's interesting when people have that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess they're in public. They expand so much energy and then that's got to be that yang to that yin and its need to recharge and I know that or Richard's home is like a I was going to say, Fortnits is not a fortress, but it's like a retreat and it's a beautiful retreat he has there and he's really generous with that too, with his pals. Yeah, so that's great. Father and sons love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great relationship to explore it is.
Speaker 3: We'll have something new and exciting for you on the next episode of Separate father Rooms.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening.