Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That? The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed, And as always i am with Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of Sugar Mummer TV, the financial literacy platform covering YouTube, podcast books, Instagram, threads, TikTok and more.
Speaker 2: Hello, Canna, Hello, how are you?
Speaker 1: I am battling against the cost of living?
Speaker 2: You know what, you and me both, yeah, and everyone else.
Speaker 1: It's a universal thing right now. It is the big challenge from interest rates to particularly filling up the car right now. It is tough. It is very, very tough. But that's all the complaining. We're going to do, no more complaining.
Speaker 2: We have solution based. We are the glass half full type of people.
Speaker 1: Well see you are glass half full, one class half MD and we kind of balance each other out. We meet in the middle. But we are actually today going to focus on what works. It is solution based. We are focusing on how to actually improve the situation, what moves the needle and what doesn't, And then we're going to bring it all home with kind of five ways, a list five ways to cut the cost of living. This is all about improving the situation, trying to reduce the pressure on the household budget. Let's get cracking. Do you think that people tend to focus on the wrong things when we're trying to cut costs? Because I was when I was, when I was sitting down to prep for this, I was like, Okay, is there a risk that you focus on these the big picture or the small go too small on the cost of living when really the savings are to be found elsewhere.
Speaker 2: Look, more often than not, the best and biggest savings are quite often just under our nose, in plain sight, and we think, you know, we assume, oh well, the groceries, the subscriptions, the insurances, we assume they're fixed and we can't do things about it, so we immediately glaze over them and then go to the next thing.
Speaker 1: The way you're talking sounds as though they are not fixed.
Speaker 2: Well, not necessarily, but when you have been taught how to review them properly and to ask the right questions, quite often there are some fantastic savings in doing this hard work. So I don't think that anyone is necessarily looking at the wrong things trying to find savings, but rather they haven't been shown where to look and how to look properly to find the savings.
Speaker 1: Are you saying that you will tell us the right place?
Speaker 2: Is I believe I will?
Speaker 1: Well? Otherwise, what are we doing here? Really? Do you think? Then? And I'm assuming we're going to get to this list because we love making a list, and we're going to do the five kind of ways to cut costs? But is it more effective to focus on those kind of those big things, those big fixed that appear fixed costs, things like your home loan and those than it is to just try and cut like those little bits out of your everyday spending, because.
Speaker 2: Little bits really do add up.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, all right, again an incorrect assumption, good start.
Speaker 2: So I'd be focusing first as a priority on my sort of hit list of if I was attacking my budget, which I do on a regular basis, by the way, but I'd be focusing on the biggest expenses first because if you can find even a small percentage of those big savings, that's going to have the biggest uplift in helping free up some cash in your budget, but I would still also be looking at the most frequent expenses as well. And I think this is where a lot of people do get into the trap of thinking, oh, well, I'll just cut out my takeaway coffee because it's easier to do. But we put off calling up our banks, calling up our mortgage broker, you know, speaking to our property manager, looking at our insurance policies and what the finer details, because sometimes that can seem overwhelming, too much hard work, and we don't even realize actually, we could probably save twenty percent on our insurance premiums by taking out things that we are paying for what we don't necessarily need any more.
Speaker 1: But to be fair, cutting out the daily coffee is a lot less confrontational.
Speaker 2: That's the problem. This is where we need to really step up, be accountable, okay, And at the end of the day, do we want to save money or not? And perhaps you can find big enough savings by doing that hard, deep financial work within your budget so that you don't necessarily have to completely give up that takeaway coffee that perhaps brings you so much joy and actually makes this world a lot more livable and enjoyable as it is obviously an incredibly tough economic condition that we're living in and navigating right now.
Speaker 1: It is tough, really tough right now. Is there though, a risk of kind of like burning out right if you're trying to cut too much too quickly. Are you just going to get completely jack of it and just go no, I can't do this.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, And this is where people really start to fall off the track and sometimes even rebel and undo all their hard work by self distracting. It's got to be sustainable. So whatever you are trimming, you know, you've got to think can I actually get through this long term? And I think when it comes to budgeting, it's really about thinking coming from a mindset of it being intentional rather than restrictive. However, I'm also someone who's a big believer in mini challenges like bursts and spurts, where you go, all right, I'm going to tighten the belt for two weeks for fun, if you're up for a bit of a challenge, and see what can come from that. So if you want to do short, sharp bursts, of course, but the big picture needs to be sustainable and you need to be building a system behind the way that you're spending money and managing your cash flow and your budget. That actually supports you, not exhausts you.
Speaker 1: Oh I like that supports, not exhausts. It seems like a good time to get into our list, because there is nothing more supportive than a good list.
Speaker 2: Right well, I'm hoping what we share will help people have a bit of a financial reset and help people, you know, I guess, feel a bit safer with where their money is going and know that there is an ability to at some stage, you know, stay on track to the best of their ability.
Speaker 1: So we're going to together a list of five ways to cut the cost of living. When I decide how many numbers, how many things we're going to do on all this, I do it basically to taunt you, because I know you have a bit of a thing with numbers, and you like it to be a particular way.
Speaker 2: It's not a particular way. I like it to be a particular number.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and five would not be very satisfactory to you, would it.
Speaker 2: I am feeling a little bit fragile and imbalanced right now. You like your it's not an even number thing, it's ten. I just like the number ten.
Speaker 1: Well, this is half. It's halfway there.
Speaker 2: It's just that I'm mentally coaching myself.
Speaker 1: Just make them all doubly good, and that way they will pretty much kind of equate to ten.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just going to focus on the richness that comes from these five and the doubling the value then then makes it technically ten.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is so satisfying. This sounds like such a victory for me. Okay, number one on the list of ways to cut the cost of living take it away all right.
Speaker 2: Obviously the housing, so whether you are renting or whether you have a mortgage, So this is obviously the biggest expense, according to the ABS, for most Australians right now. So if you have a mortgage, you've got to get on the phone and speak to your bank and ask them if you can if you can get a better deal. Otherwise you're going to look at walking. If you don't want to make that phone call, speak to a mortgage broker and if you're finding that money is particularly tight. A great thing about a mortgage broker is they can look at your loan term. Now, this is not something I would ever recommend unless you're in a serious situation, but perhaps you know you're ten years left on your home loan, but money is extremely tight right now and you're worried that you're going to default. This is the phone call to make to say, look, can I potentially look at changing the loan term? Not something I want to recommend, and I'm not formally recommending it, but these options worth considering that can actually help you stay on track still keep the roof over your head. And you know that's basically restructuring the loan and of course trying to get a better rate. And if you don't ask, you don't get because we all know that. You know, loyalty tax is expensive.
Speaker 1: And I've made that call to the bank to ask for a better home line and it was so much easier than I thought it was going to be because of the thing is they deal with these calls every single day. And the thing you need to remember is that you're not asking for the money out of the person's pocket who's answering the phone. They are representing a big corporation and they are trained in this process and it is just based on the numbers. They will look at it. They will look at how long you've been a customer with the bank. They'll look at kind of your repayment history and how much equity you have in your in your home. It just pays to ask, and the worst that they can say is no. And sure you feel a little bit sheepish afterwards, but you might also be way better off.
Speaker 2: But also you actually then can feel good about yourself that you've made that call and you had to go. Yep, you haven't left that stone unturned. And you are my exact You are the evidence in front of me about people not looking at the most obvious ones in front of you. You know you put it off for so long, because I know you put it off for so long. I hounded you for so long with it making that years.
Speaker 1: Yes, that I might be overdue to make that call again, Well.
Speaker 2: Every eighteen months is what my mortgage broker recommends.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm I'm at close to it.
Speaker 2: Make that phone call. Won't hurt past it?
Speaker 1: Oh God, I'm sorry. I've done you have you have, but I just sometimes accidentally disregard your advice.
Speaker 2: Now I want to talk about renting. I was going to ask you because this is important. Not everyone has a mortgage, and there are people who are renting but also rent investing as well. So, you know, I think speaking to your property manager and looking at your living situation and you know, perhaps it's time to look at perhaps a different area. Maybe it is time to look at moving, or maybe you can speak to the property manager or perhaps some people in situations where they're not dealing with the property manager, they're dealing with an owner directly, and they can speak to them about the loan term. What are there some things they can potentially do to the house to add value of the apartment, to add value that's going to help, or perhaps extend the lease so they've got a longer lease in place to help protect them. So having those conversations or perhaps you know, if you can't, maybe look at moving. You know, you look at walk what can we do with this space? Can we look at renting out the car spot, Can we look out if you have a spare bedroom, can you potentially look at that, or you know, can you move into a friend's house on the weekends and look at Airbnb if your property manager and the owner actually allows that. And I've shared this before. I did this with Tom when we were first got together. You know, we would take turns in renting our places out on Airbnb and it helped hugely, so you know there are options worth exploring.
Speaker 1: I find that really interesting the idea of a value exchange there as well, that if you talk directly to your landlord or to the property manager and say, hey, I have these skills, I have the ability to do some maintenance, to repair some things. Is there an agreement that we can come to that might actually make it a little bit more affordable to live right now?
Speaker 2: You would be surprised how often I have had conversations with people who have done that. You know, you know someone is particularly good at handyman skills. They've fixed up things, or they've paid for the apartment to be painted, not at the owner's expense, or that you know, I've got a situation where you're not looking at extending at least, but they'll agree to stay in it for a longer period of time and I'm not going to make any changes whatsoever, and may even have you to look at a lower rand to make sure that they can stay longer and take care of the place. And you know, owners of properties, no, it's incredibly expensive to lose a tenant, even you know it's going to be time in between you've got to pay a property manager or leasing fee all over again. Get it photographed, get it, you know, repainted, recarpeted, potentially, it is a huge headache. Keeping people in your investment property is something that you want to do, and you can use that information to your advantage to try and negotiate some form of savings to help you keep your head above water.
Speaker 1: All right, so number one is housing. Let's jump straight onto number two.
Speaker 2: Food. Okay, okay, So keeping food more financially friendly is actually, I think a lot easier than we think. And the amount of people that tell me, oh, I can't keep our grocery bills under control, and I start exploring and go all right, what are we doing here? What are you doing? Tak me through how you go to the shops. Turning up to the supermarket with no list whatsoever. That is a you know, one way ticket to spend and waste a whole pile of money, you know, checking what you've already got in your freezer, your fridge and your pantry, doing meal planning, which you and I both know is really important, you know, buying in bulk obviously, keeping in mind with you at the storage for those particular things. Even this morning, actually, we were running low on cleaning products and I was on Amazon and I noticed one of the cleaning products we used. I could buy seven bottles of it for twenty dollars, and that normally cost me about five dollars a bottle from my normal supermarket. I couldn't believe it. So, you know, buying in Bolk can often be a great opportunity. Or if you don't want to necessarily buy that many, speak to your friends, speak to your neighbors, perhaps they need those items too, and you can start your own sort of mini cop if you like. You know, and keeping meals simple, and this is something we've really been doing in our family, you know, like I've got three kids, can sometimes be very fussy. They like one meal one night and they don't like it the next, but just keeping it very simple, not expensive gourmet ingredients anymore, just and there's some really great cookbooks out there, and there are so many accounts online, particularly TikTok, which my son uses all the time, where you can find some really budget friendly meals and inspiration that are actually not bland but really quite delicious and of course healthy.
Speaker 1: The one that we talk about a bit is for ingredients. Yes, the series of recipe books which is based on just four ingredients and you can add things to them from there, but four ingredients is all you need then to get the basic meal together. And it's just a great shortcut for when you're shopping. And we love to We do all of our groceries online because one of the things is if you're shopping on coals or woolies or whatever it is, you're doing it on the app or doing it on the website. You are not cruising around the supermarket, and you are not just being tempted by all of the sales, all of the special and kids aren't putting extra things in and just asking for more. You can just get what you need and you can see the tally of That's.
Speaker 2: My big thing. Yeah, I love the tally because I can we have a set budget each week for groceries, and I can see if we're approaching it and we've gone over, I can quickly review it and take things out and there's none of that embarrassment at the end of the you know, the checkout to cue of people behind and you're like, oh my goodness, I've spent way too much. It is easy, especially with clicking collect. You don't even need to pay for groceries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, indeed, so pay You do need to.
Speaker 2: Pay for groceries. You don't need to pay for delivery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, no, not paying for it's that's that.
Speaker 2: Would be a one way ticket to go to jail.
Speaker 1: Indeed, theft. Okay, that is number two. Food. We're going to take a very quick break and come back and get three, four, and five, and we are running shorter time, so you are going to have to probably speed through hammer through these tips back in a moment, Cana. We are talking today about five ways to cut the cost of living. So far, we've had number one, which is housing. Whether you are you have a mortgage or whether you are renting, there are ways to save on both of those. Number two is food, trying to cut the grocery bill. What's number three utilities?
Speaker 2: So most people don't realize loyalty is really rewarded, particularly with banks and utility providers. So calling them up say I'm thinking of leaving the shop online. You can use all the comparison websites as a bit of ammunition up your sleeve. I do this every year for financial I do this every year for frugal February. And I think last this year I saved was it ninety dollars on my energy bill and maybe thirty dollars per month on my gas bill. Like that's a huge savings to bank. So make those calls, and that I've shared before as a quick hack, have the number saved in your phone, have against the number your account number, so it's quickly and easily referenced. You can do it sitting on the bus on the way to work. You could do it, you know, while you're maybe folding laundry on speakerphone. You know, just get make those phone calls and ask and use those comparison websites. And there's some great government websites as well to help you compare different plans and what's right for you.
Speaker 1: It's another one of those that it's just it pays to make the call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right.
Speaker 1: But I don't know about you, but I find electricity quite dense. I understand. So when say with your mortgage, your home loan, it's quite straightforward to say, okay, this bank is offering this interest rate and it is for a thirty year loan. All right, I understand that. But all of a sudden when you are comparing electricity plans, it doesn't feel like you are comparing apples with apples. You are suddenly comparing different on peak and off peak rates and kind of there's the shoulder periods and all these other little incentives and things that are in there. I find that quite challenging.
Speaker 2: You need to understand, you need to have a copy of your most recent bill so you can look at your usage and also consider see what time of the year we're in, you know, is it have we just come out of a really hot summer where you're located and you've been cranking up their conditioning, or you know, perhaps you've been away and you know your usage is misleadingly low. Perhaps, So that's really important and like getting someone to compare your usage.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but the key is have your bill there, because that boils information. Yeah, okay, that's number three power bills and gas so utilities, number four.
Speaker 2: Transport obviously in particular, you know, trending topic fuel prices, you know, so you know, looking at you know, when this is actually kind of ironic. Literally on the weekend, someone had a conversation with me about buying a new car when they should buy a new car, I'm like, no, hold on to that car. You know. It is like avoid these larger expenses as much as you can until the dust cells. You've got greater sort of financial clarity, you know, particularly when you're if you're this person was complaining about how expensive everything is right now, how tight things are, you know, being really strategic with your fuel usage. I'm curious to know have you changed the way that you use your family car since fuel prices have skyrocketed.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we are trying to use it a lot less.
Speaker 2: I'm being so much more strategic where you know, if I have to pick a child up, I would normally just go pick a child up and then maybe delay picking another one or go to the supermarket later on that day. It is now one very efficient, sometimes very stressful with three kids a trip where I try and just do it all in one swoop, because I mean it is just painful filling up petrol now and just seeing the impact on you know, your budget and where that money has to come from, where you've got to find it to help keep petrol in the car. Obviously, then there's the obvious ones like public transport, you know, avoiding obviously you know, long trips if you can. Car pulling is another big one that I've been doing a lot with my friends, you know, avoiding, you know, if we're meeting up somewhere, we all go in a separate car, you know, like we previously did, or each got our own uber if we were you know, drinking alcohol. Perhaps now it's like, no, I'm going to swing by and pick you up and we'll all go together. And then the other person obviously shouts the uber home and you know, public transport, like it's just fantastic if you are in a position where you can access public transport of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, number five, what have you got for us? Because it feels like you've actually covered all of the big areas that I could think of. This is a real mystery.
Speaker 2: So it's actually medical. But I also want to be very careful here because obviously access and options aren't always of you know, equal value opportunity. But not everyone necessarily has this like the luxury of a medical center around the corner or a doctor that they can in their local town. But you know, looking at certain situations perhaps where you can maybe access telehealth or a bulk billing service, you know, when you go to the chemist and you're filling scripts because I know a lot of people she's skipping filling their scripts from the recent studies that have been released, which is really frightening and really concerning, is you know, is there a generic medication that they can switch to without compromising on the quality. And also taking a proactive approach in managing your health and wellbeing so that you avoid having to go to the doctors in the first place. And by no means what I ever say, don't go to save money, That's far from it, but you know, just taking I guess a more mindful, intentional, holistic approach with managing your health, staying fit, getting outside, having the power of connection with your community, you know, understanding when you do need to go to a doctor or when it's such too much more serious you need to go and see a specialist. And even saying to your doctor, I'm on a really tight budget. Is there any chance you can actually tick a box sort of on a scan or can you ask the doctor if they do in thing bulk billing, because they're conversations I've definitely had and it has saved me money.
Speaker 1: And the other thing is if you do have health private health insurance is to have a really good look at what is on offer through your fund and there there are often benefits there that you may not have actually used, and you may not be aware that you might be able to get, say a portion of your gym back, for instance. Or the one that I love is that if you're in a capital city, a lot of the big private health insurers now have clinics that are based on eye care, dent and care where you can take the whole family in get a check up, get an eye test, get.
Speaker 2: It clean, fluoride, and they'll often be no fee, no fee, or it's a fraction of what you'd pay. And I mean, I'm very open when we are with HCF and I use the dental clinic for all of us. And you know, there was a bit of a communication breakdown Thomas spending a fortunate the dentist and it wasn't til I cottoned on and saw the bit invoices that I was like, no, you get it for free. And he's been doing it ever since. He's like, this is brilliant, this is great.
Speaker 1: Hopecially for kids. How much trouble did you get in well?
Speaker 2: And you know what I am to blame because it was a communication breakdown, so a lot. Yes, I could both from travel.
Speaker 1: All right, okay, all right, that's a good list. That is five good things. The other thing when I was well, let me recap the list. First number one was of course housing. Number two is food. Number three utilities so your power bill and your gas bill. Number four is transport and on that. I had to get the car service recently, worst possible time because it's just transport costs are going through the roof. And again it was just being really upfront with the mechanic at the outset. Basically, I said, I just need this to pass red Jo, I just just do what is needed for that. And all of a sudden it went from us. It went from a major logbook service down to just a small service enough to kind of pass. From four new tires, it went to two tires and things like that, and all of a sudden, still ridiculously expensive, right, but it was also just a little bit of being upfront right from the outset can actually save you a lot of money. And maybe when things ease, when the pressure isn't on the household budget so much, I can go back and kind of do the rest of those things later. But rather than having to find the money now for all of those things, just being honest from the.
Speaker 2: Outset, you start to come from place, you start opening up the conversation around solutions. Examples of getting new ties. Perhaps they go okay, well in that case, knowing that about you, why don't we just brutate the tires and put the back ones on the front, and then you can get another x amount kilometers. So just you are kicking the can down the road a little bit, but it just helps you get through the next couple of months, which was what we're all needing right now. It's short term solution indeed.
Speaker 1: Indeed, and the last one, of course was medical and that completes our list. We are over time, but in thirty seconds or less. If someone is feeling completely overwhelmed right by rising costs, they're just coppying it from every side. What is the first practical step that they can do right now to regain control.
Speaker 2: With awareness, Stop buring your head in the sand and ignoring this. It is everybody needs to be looking at where their money goes, their budgets and their financial goals, and quit the judgment. We're all in this together. You know it's really hard. I mean, the abs have come out and said, you know, the biggest drivers of inflation right now are housing, food, energy, So everybody is under huge amounts of pressure and stretched. You know you are not alone, but we also need to be kind to ourselves, like drop the judgment. And when you get some clarity as to where your money is going, it gives you back a sense of control. And the smallest tiniest changes in your budget, particularly when you can implement them on a consistent basis, can definitely transform your financial position over time. So please don't ever turn your nose up. But oh well, why would I bother for ten dollars a week saving you know what? Ten dollars a week is over five hundred dollars a year. That money I'd rather be in your pocket making you feel better?
Speaker 1: Well said? All right? If people want more information from you, where do they find you?
Speaker 2: The best place to get ahold of me is always on Instagram at Sugar Mama TV, and you.
Speaker 1: Can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business news. You can use thank you for listening to how do they afford that? Remember to hit follow on the podcast, and the very best thing that you can do is tell somebody else. And if you know someone who might be struggling with the cost of living, then send them a link to this episode and they can hear some of these little pearls of wisdom for themselves. Thank you very much for your company. Join us again next week.