Speaker 1: After two decades at nine It's post boy, Karl Stefanovic has left the building, and for the first time, people who worked with him are speaking out.
Speaker 2: I spoke to about twenty different people who had known and worked with Karl over twenty six years.
Speaker 1: Journalist Tina Quinn has been asking questions about Stefanovic's rise at the network and what really prompted his podcast pivot.
Speaker 2: I was really trying to work out, I guess how it had gotten to this, you know, what exactly had happened, This man that had once called Lori Oaks his great hero, how had it come to this?
Speaker 1: And what she found was a surprising number of people willing to be frank about their views on working with him.
Speaker 2: As I continued to go on, it felt like roadblocks of people that weren't really at first wanting to talk, but then completely opened up to me. And then by the end, Yeah, it was just this incredible snowball.
Speaker 1: I'm Ruby Jones and you're listening to seven AM today, a host of Fourth Estate on tw SCR and Qriike contributor Tina Quinn on Karl Stefanovic's rise, what his former colleagues really think and what his future outside the network will look like.
Speaker 3: It's Monday, July.
Speaker 1: Twenty Tina, to begin with, in your conversations with all of these insiders at nine, what impression were you left with of Karl Stefanovic's place at the network before his exit?
Speaker 2: How much sway did he have and how was he seen well? Karl Stefanovic was the Today Show and was nine. That's how many people described him to me. The last thing that guests or visitors would see as they entered the soundstage of the Today Show at North Sydney was this large empot using portrait of Carl, which I thought was really interesting.
Speaker 3: It's of Carl.
Speaker 2: He's walking, He's sort of in silhouette and he's walking onto the sound stage, almost like walking into his domain, his kingdom. He'd been with the program for twenty one years and had outlived all eight of his female co hosts. He was someone that was seen as almost untouchable. It didn't matter how many scandals there had been, how many controversies, the network continued to back him no matter what, and I think people they're incredibly shocked that that era has come to an end. He was described as the network's Golden Boy, and.
Speaker 1: Before he kind of became the Karl Sevanovic of the Today Show, this sort of big protected figure at nine. What do people tell you about what he was like as a young reporter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that was quite interesting in itself, because, you know, I spoke to his first newsroom director at nine, Risbon. This is a guy named Lee Anderson. He said he was one of the most talented reporters I'd ever come across, you know, very charismatic. But I also spoke to other producers, more junior in that newsroom who were less than glowing, who said that he was quite lazy. That was a word that consistently came up across a lot of my reporting. He was very good at getting other people to do things for him. He arrived when he liked knowing that as quote, some Lackey producer would have you written his.
Speaker 3: Work for him.
Speaker 2: But he was very good even back then at sucking up to the right people. The exacts, although I thought it was really interesting. There was one particular news and Current Affairs director who was visiting Brisbane and there was an afterwork drinks you know, he said, I just heard this voice behind me, just really just talking himself up to the point of tedium, and I just you know, after about five minutes of listening to his dissertation on why he was so wonderful and excellent, I sort of turned around to Lee Anderson, the news director, and said, who the hell's this blow? And Li said, oh, this is our new boy Wonder, And that's when he said, well, he might be your boy Wonder, but he's a twenty four Carrent fuck wit. So you know there were people even back then that were less than impressed.
Speaker 1: So Carl his success becomes very entwined with the Today Show. And that is despite a number of scandals that might have affected the career of a different presenter, things like when he turned up seeming to still be drunk after the logis.
Speaker 3: That's one example.
Speaker 4: I didn't feel drunk when I work up the next morning, Otherwise I would not have gone on here. Now, I might like to think that I'm professional enough to have made that decision that clearly, from the vision that I've seen, I wasn't at my best.
Speaker 1: All of these things that happened, though they didn't damage him, they kind of seemed to just feed into his brand.
Speaker 3: It's going to ask Arctic.
Speaker 5: Who's going to be manning seven eleven's today. I'm not sure about who's going to be matting seven eleven, but you might have to look at you might have to look at Cena Link as well.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: Tell me about why that was and what the effect of that was.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, you say it might have had a different effect on a different broadcaster, especially had it been a female one. I mean if Lisa Wilkinson was his co host at the time, and imagine if Lisa Wilkinson, married mother of three, turned up drunk to work on air, I think it would have been received very differently.
Speaker 3: Kyl had some very powerful backers.
Speaker 2: That is something I kept hearing time and time again, most notably David Ginjel who was at one time the CEO of Nine. You know, people like Paul Fenn, the Sydney News director, James Packer, the son of Kerry Packer who owned the network, Alan Jones, who wasn't at nine but was a very powerful Sydney media presence who loaned him it basically gave him the deposit.
Speaker 3: For his first house.
Speaker 2: So very powerful people in his corner who continued to back him. I think what was really noticeable to me. You know, he was brought on to replace Steve Liebman, and when he started at the Today Show, he received reviews that his on air performance was quite wooden, and someone wrote that he was he seemed incapable of sort of lighthearted banter on air, and you know, he was not well received, but he was continually given leniency over years and years of on air controversies and as you mentioned, would have ended another broadcaster's career, certain comments about migrants really inappropriate, in sensitive comments, all sorts of things that took place.
Speaker 5: Well, as we all know, I can be a complete tool, right, Well, yesterday I was worse. I was an ignorant tool. When I say ignorant, I truly meant.
Speaker 1: And I kind of Okay. So you've got this seemingly fairly untouchable presenter, with this lackable lark persona who after a few years at least, is doing well with audiences. Behind the scenes, perhaps a more complex picture of power and ego. Were there any signs, though, of where Karl Stefanovic was heading, any kind of early signs of what we are now seeing and in his current reinvention.
Speaker 2: Most of the people that I spoke to all agreed that this was not an ideological pursuit of Karl's what we're seeing with this podcast. In fact, when I asked one source, someone who is still at nine and who worked with Karl on and off for a number of years, I said, the views that Carla's platforming on his podcast, do you think they're his owner? They used that he has and shares and this person just laughed and just won't know. I don't it's exactly what you think. This is for clicks and the power, and he is very much a product of the industry that made him, and that industry is shape shifting and it is transforming in front of him, and he can see the writing on the wall, and he is trying to remake himself.
Speaker 3: And this isn't really driven by ideology.
Speaker 2: It's driven more by something that he sees will could possibly work in this market, something that we've seen very successfully done over in the United States, in the UK. It's something that he's trying to bring here to Australia.
Speaker 3: Coming up.
Speaker 1: Can car survive without the production support that comes with Breakfast TV.
Speaker 5: I think it's important that I keep campaigning and I keep driving forward with freedom of speech. If you don't like the way I do an interview, then don't watch it. It's my style, it's my show, and I.
Speaker 1: Want to teote. Right from the very outset of his podcast launch, there were things that Karl Stefanovick was doing that were quite clearly putting him.
Speaker 3: At odds with his colleagues.
Speaker 1: So he had that friendly interview with Charlie TiO, for example, who Kate McClymont did the series of investigations into. He also waded into the Ben Robert Smith charges defending him after his arrest. So how much tension do you think all of that caused within Nine Huge?
Speaker 2: You know, Nine spent millions and millions upon dollars defending those investigations. The doggared committed investigative reporting that Nick McKenzie and Chris Masters conducted over years upon years was extraordinary, and the amount of money that Nine spent defending that.
Speaker 3: Was not insignificant.
Speaker 2: The same with Kate mcclimont, with Charlie Teo to have one of its own stars.
Speaker 3: And look, there's a conflict in there.
Speaker 2: There's a real conflict in the fact that Nine and Fairfax merged a number of years ago. Right, and there's journalistic sensibilities that are conflicting there as well. It was a huge conflict within nine because to have one of its own big stars denigrading the work of people like Kate mcclemont and Nick McKenzie and Chris Masters, it definitely stoked conflicts and also nine's own reporters, like Channel nine, the TV network itself, I think there were a lot of reporters that felt they were sharing a lot of concerns about the way people would perceive them because of the views of one Carl, because I think they were very concerned that it somehow took away the credibility from their own reporting to have again this big network star being able to go and platform people like anti vaxer Pede Evans, Pauline Hanson, Barnaby Joyce. Then of course afar right fascist who is on Australia's Terra Watchlan is not allowed into this country. I'm talking about Tommy Robinson here. I think that was something that was proving very anxiety driving within nine's own stable.
Speaker 5: I see on sky News UK Sky News important difference that he's a threat to society.
Speaker 1: Musk anyone who believes in free speech is affected their society, because their society is about control. They want to control speech, They want to control everything, every element of your life.
Speaker 3: They want to control. That's their future, that's the Left future.
Speaker 1: And obviously that's all led to him leaving the network. How do you think it's going to go for him from here? Because he's obviously you know, he's good at TV, He's a gifted broadcaster. But while at nine and while on Breakfast, he's got this huge production machine around him. There's all these people who are paid to make him sound good. So how do you think he will work without all of that?
Speaker 2: I think it will be well. Look, it will be interesting to say something that a number of produce even who were working up with him up until the present day, consistently said they called him hard to produce for at times because they were often doing the brunt of the research and the work. He was often not across his breeze. He was hard to get a hold of. They compared. Some compared him to Lixa Wilkinson, who liked to be She was seen as much more meticulous, She really liked to be involved with stories. She was much more generous with her time. Karl was not sometimes, as I said, difficult to get a hold of, wouldn't respond to the research that was provided for him, and he'd sort of go on air and.
Speaker 3: He'd wring it.
Speaker 2: But that's easy to do when you've got a huge production team. I mean, the Today Show is a huge production. There's a lot of money behind it. I think people would be surprised to know the number of producers that they would have working on one particular show at any given time. He doesn't have that on this podcast, and I think he got into such strife interviewing someone like Tommy Robinson because in some ways he didn't interview him. There was a lot of backslapping and yeah mate, this made and the sort of stuff that Carl has kind of been able to get away with over his career because those interviews were still peppered with what we were seen as hard hitting questions that were written for him by producers. There was a lot less of that in that interview. I mean, there was no accountability at any given point during that interview. Very strange from someone who once named the great political journalist Laurry Oaks as his great hero and inspiration in his LOGI speech in twenty eleven, and so I think we're already seeing the result of him having less support around him. If you watch any of those interviews, they're not particularly enlightening and they're in no way hard hitting. They're not the work of a journalist that you would expect of someone like Carl who fronted a leading breakfast show for over two decades. Story telling about the level of talent he really does possess in that area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny. It's like his kind of grappling with the tension between casting himself as this outsider and then the reality of what that actually might mean for him to be on the outside of the mainstream.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's always interesting hearing from these guys who always claim that they've been silenced and they've been canceled. You know, they still seem to have these very loud microphones and podiums to talk about that from Tina, thank you for your time, Ruby, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Also in the news, the United States has launched fresh strikes against Iran after at least two American troops were killed by an Iranian attack on an air base in Jordan. Since the war began, sixteen Secon service members have been killed and more than four hundred and thirty wounded. Donald Trump says the deaths are very sad, but came in service to their country, and Shadow Housing Minister Andrew Bragg says he does not agree with comments made by Liberal Party president Tony Abbott. In a video posted to social media, Tony Abbott claims that multiculturalism has failed and diversity is not a strength.
Speaker 3: Bragg also hit.
Speaker 1: Out at comments from One Nation lead NA Pauline Hanson at a conference in London that authorities are stupid for giving rights to transgender Australians, calling the comments insane.
Speaker 3: I'm Ruby Jones.
Speaker 1: This is seven am. Thanks for listening.