Speaker 1: Life sharing, good evening well first tonight to the Albanezy government's humiliating back down in Parliament today.
Speaker 2: It was sparked by the Prime Minister.
Speaker 1: Allowing the most woke left wing government in the Western world to dictate his foreign policy. Remember when Jacinta Ardourn was applauded by the Canbra bubble for giving Scott Morrison a slapdown about his immigration policy.
Speaker 3: This is corrosive to our relationship.
Speaker 4: Scott Morrison, Cobbs and a dern Burn.
Speaker 2: Do not deport your people and your problems.
Speaker 4: Once you've done your time, we send you home.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: The coalition's policy was that if there's a criminal migrant, say a murderer or a child rapist, and they're a citizen of another country, well then they should be deported. But desperate to appeal to drn a widely popular young female, Prime Minister Albanesi capitulated to her demand.
Speaker 2: Absurdly.
Speaker 1: He was proud of the fact he was weakening Australia's immigration policy and our national.
Speaker 2: Security approach to appease New Zealand.
Speaker 1: The changes meant that thousands of criminals who held New Zealand citizenship would now be able to stay in our country instead of being deported. It was an announcement Albanizi made to much fanfare when he became Prime Minister.
Speaker 6: A Minister Adurn has certainly not been backward in raising these issues. I can assure you from our very first meeting. Where you have a circumstance where someone has lived their entire life effectively in Australia with no connection whatsoever to New Zealand, then common sense should apply and we'll act as friends and we'll work through those issues in a common sense.
Speaker 3: What we've been seeking is common sense and the spirit of friendship, and that's what Prome Minus to Albinizi has spoken to today.
Speaker 1: An Immigration Minister Andrew Giles boasted to refugee advocates about the changes that he said would appease New Zealanders in this video obtained today by rhiannon Down at The Australian.
Speaker 7: One of the big issues that we have built with as a government is to have regard to the ministry or direction that operates in respect of cancelized region, and have had close regard, particularly on the basis that discussions with their friends in New Zealand about how this can operate in a way that better reflects our obligation to people who've spent the majority of their lives in Australia as opposed to another country.
Speaker 1: Well, when he said there, reflects our obligation he's speaking about, reflects our obligation to criminals, to criminals who don't have Australian citizenship and who should be deported. This from the Immigration Minister, whose job is meant to be to protect the safety of Australians. But this is what happens when you appoint a refugee lawyer to the position of Immigration minister. Even the ABC has acknowledged that and I quote the former refugee lawyer was never a natural fit for the immigration portfolio.
Speaker 2: The fact Albanese won't sack.
Speaker 1: Him after the litany of disasters that have seen Australians attacked by detainees shows a deep problem with the Prime Minister himself. As The Australian pointed out today, it's been zero days since Giles's last blunder. Well, you'd want a Prime minister to demand a high standard from his team, but what we're seeing is Albanese's willingness to accept not even mediocrity but poor performance. He's made a judgment that so called stability of his front bench is more important than competency, which in this case means community safety. Albanizi is choosing the political outcome that is best for himself and his political advantage and not putting the community first, and thus this ongoing saga reflects equally poorly on Alberzi himself as it does on his failure of an immigration minister. All right, well, Former Treasurer Josh Fredenberg has said that he's not going to run in Kouyong, his old seat.
Speaker 2: But this idea that he shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Be allowed to run because a woman has put up her hand is identity politics gone too far. Of course, we need more women in politics, and not just politics but public life. We need women at the top of companies boards and in all leadership positions.
Speaker 2: One thousand percent.
Speaker 1: And personally it's controversial, but I actually support gender quotas I think it does fast track change. But the idea that any woman should be chosen over any man, irrespective of his experience or merit or talent is nonsense.
Speaker 2: Yet that has been the suggestion.
Speaker 8: He can make it comeback if he wants. There's a number of seats that are still open for pre selection of Victoria, and he should absolutely consider going for one of those. But demanding that pre selections reopen in seats that have already closed, where we already have candidates in the field is quite frankly ludicrous. Amelia Hamer is a brilliant candidate.
Speaker 9: I think that there might be some Josh Friedenberg fans that's got a little bit of a rash of blood to the head when they saw these boundary changes. But you know, quite frankly, our focus as a party should be on keeping Higgins.
Speaker 1: Your editor and journalist Christopher Dare wrote a brilliant and cutting piece in The Nightly, and in it he said, the idea that Josh Fridenberg, a relatively young moderate deputy leader and successful former federal treasurer, should somehow cede to an inexperienced, hopeful, articulate and educated as she may be, simply because she is a woman is ridiculous, he said. To suggest moving aside the untested thirty one year old, albeit with a great liberal name, to make way for Freedenburg, would somehow be a liberal hate crime against women is absurd. Now, one of Fredenberg's personality traits is that he's loath to upset anyone.
Speaker 2: He's a decent human being.
Speaker 1: Yes, he wants to spend time with his family, and he is making a great contribution to Australian life from outside politics, as we saw with his documentary recently. But also presumably he wouldn't like to be criticized for asking a woman to step aside. But look at the bigger picture here. Peter Darton has a massive uphill battle to win the next election nineteen seats. He needs to form majority government and he admits that this task would go against the grain of history, even though.
Speaker 10: The first term government hasn't lost since nineteen thirty one, that the best outcome from a Labor Party perspective is that they could form a minority government which would include the Greens and the Tills and potentially, as you say, Muslim independent candidates from Western Sydney or perhaps elsewhere in Melbourne for example. The reality of that is that yes, they would be compromised even further in terms of their stance, and I think as we saw during the period of the Gillard government, where there was formal compact with the Greens, there was a drag to the left and I think that is at odds with where most Australians are. At Most Austraians, regardless of their religion or their location in the country, that they want a safe environment for themselves, for their kids, They want to work hard provide for their family. They want a good health system, a good public transport, good transport system, and they want to buy a good house and make sure that their kids and grandkids can enjoy more than what they've been able to enjoy. I don't think it gets much more complicated than that.
Speaker 1: And that was Peter Dutton on Sunday night. Well Tony Abbott won fourteen seats in the landslide of twenty thirteen after the Guillard Rudd era of leadership chaos. For Dutton to wear nineteen seats is a massive ask for him to even have a shot at wedding seats back not only from labor but also the till he needs the strongest possible candidate in every seat. Josh Fridenburg clearly has the best chance of winning Coujong from the disastrous Monique Ryan. The idea that Fridenburg wouldn't run or couldn't run simply because it would be ungentlemanly to ask a woman to step aside because of her gender, the idea that he wouldn't run because of identity politics, Well, this reason is clearly not in Australia's national interest now. Chris Daor in The Nightly urged Josh Fridenburg to have courage in politics because the path to the lodge is paved with the remains of those who tried and failed, all those who didn't try hard enough. Christo Vherdoor writes, Josh Fridenberg needs to look no further than the limp and lackluster leadership ambitions of Peter Costello, a fellow Melbourne Liberal with a lofty regard for his own talent, encumbered by destiny, incapacitated by debilitating.
Speaker 2: Desire, and at least one major personality flaw. He was gutless to the.
Speaker 1: Great amusement of John Howard. Costello never struck him down, didn't even try. Howard waited for the day it never came. Angry and entitled, Costello will never live that down, spooked by his own hapless brand of Hubris.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: The comparison with Costello, though, does have its limits.
Speaker 2: Costello is now chair.
Speaker 1: Of nine and I would note the judging by Costello's leadership of nine during the sexual harassment crisis at the network doesn't seem like Australia missed out.
Speaker 2: And much by not having him as Prime Minister.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 1: Also coming up on the show tonight, how Anthony Albanese's agency tasked with increasing the housing supply has spent thirty million dollars on executive and on consultants and executive salaries without building a single home. Thirty million dollars and not a single home built. This breaking news tonight. It's a farce, and Pettiwog refuses to rule out recognizing a Palestinian state even if Harmas still has a role governing Gaza. This is surely a confusing position for a feminist, given Hamas has raped girls, beheaded babies and slaughtered children in cold blood. Petty Wog is quickly developing a reputation as the worst foreign minister Australia has ever had. More on that with my panel later, plus drugs, alcohol and holidays, the ndis rots costing tax payers billions of dollars a year, and in an almost comical opening statement, Anthony Fauci denies trying to cover up the COVID publigue theory. We'll get to that with my panel in a minute. I'm a Speaker of the House. Bronwin Bishop, our National MP Keith Pitt joined me. Now, welcome to you both. Look, let's start now with what I spoke about at the start of the show. Immigration Minister Andrew Giles had to get up at the start of Parliament today and say that he's spoken to his New Zealand counterpart to tell him that he'd make changes, changes that ALBERNIZI was so proud of making in a press conference with Jacintha dern Keith, What did you make of this admission in Parliament today?
Speaker 12: How many more mistakes does this minister have to make? Firstly, it wasn't the fault of the change of director of ninety nine. Then it was the fault of direction ninety nine, and then it was the fault of the department, and then it was the failure of the dry and monitoring that didn't exist. And now we find that it's exactly what the opposition said. It looks like there was a deal done with New Zealand because they demanded it and the Australian government rolled over. Now, no matter what side of politics you come from. There is one fundamental role and that is to keep the nation and it's people safe, and they have failed miserably. And I think mister Giles his position is completely untenable.
Speaker 1: I mean, bron went, you know the whole idea in the first place. And this is part of the problem. This was Anthony Alberesi's decision to change the immigration policy to appease Jacinda r Dern, to keep more criminals in the country even though they're not Australian citizens. I mean, is it a surprise that incapitulating to the most woke government that we've got in the western world, it was going to end up like this.
Speaker 2: Of course not.
Speaker 13: But the problem for Albanesi is that is his problem. He did it and he used a Jiles to implement it. So if Giles goes, shouldn't Albanesi go also? That's his problem. But here here, and there's another problem in there, of course, and Keith, no doubt you started to see it or the Labor Party. Indians are starting to get restless. They are feeling the mess that they're in. There's no leadership, there's no direction, they're not achieving anything. For the nation, and as they look at the problems that are engulfing the government, they're starting to look at alternate leadership options. And who do you think leaked the story about a speech? Right for Bill Shorten? I mean it's going to be an internal hatchet job because he sees himself as being the leader that should have been elected Prime minister. But there are a lot of others in there who think they are too. So perhaps I use an unfortunate analogy in saying using the term I use to describe the backbench of the Labor Party, but restless they are and concerned for their own seats, and the redistribution won't be doing them all favors either.
Speaker 1: Well, Bill Shotton is dealing with some controver your topics at the moment. Of course, the speech writer three hundred and ten thousand dollars a year for two years. Also revelations at Senate Estimates last night that NDIS money is being used to fund things.
Speaker 2: Like drugs, alcohol and holidays.
Speaker 1: Here's what NDIS Head of Fraud and Integrity, John Datto said last night.
Speaker 11: And then you have participants where they've not understood what they can and can't agree to with a provider, so they're accepting things that they shouldn't be. Examples, just in the last week, a twenty thousand dollars holiday, at ten thousand dollars holiday, we had a participant that bought a car brand new seventy three thousand dollars. I have spoken to very recently a participant to would meet the provider at the ATM. The provider with withdraw cash and provide that cash to the participant for her to source of this at substances.
Speaker 1: I mean, these are extraordinary revelations, Keith. We know that there's a massive blowout of NDAs. I mean, it's on track to be the largest component of the federal budget. And yet then we hear revelations last night from the head of the Integrity Unit that money.
Speaker 2: Is being spent on holidays. What do you think about this shary.
Speaker 12: The trajectory for spending on indiis is just completely unsustainable. I mean, if we even thought about it or spoke about it briefly when we were in government, the Labor Party just tore us apart. Now what we see here is this money is being wasted on things which are just not necessary. Secondly, they appear to me to be illegal. And thirdly, guess who's missing out. It is those individuals who have the most desperate die need the ones that need the support because this money is being wasted on things like new cars for individuals that should be fined another way to pay for them. And this is Bill Shorton's issue. Not only has he got a really expensive speech writer, it appears that inside the NDIS there's some very expensive habits.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, most people would support an NDIS scheme, but what we're seeing here is just a waste of taxpayer funds.
Speaker 2: Brinwin, Yes, it is.
Speaker 13: Look, the problem is that Bill Shorten designed it, and he has to fix it because what he left was really badly designed. Look, the sorts of problems that have to be looked at seriously are You will hear people who were not on before the NDIS existed were paying save for particular service, say one hundred and twenty dollars for that service. As soon as the NDIS came in, they will paying two hundred and fifty dollars for the same service. And that's happened right across the board. So there are a lot of people out there making a lot of money out of the NDIS, and they have to start to look at caps, they have to start to look at redesigning it altogether. Now Bill shortened it was his design. It's up to him to fix it. But equally I can say, I mean, I've worked all my life helping in various charities. And I have a particular friend who is very badly affected by cerebral palsy, but she's got a great brain, and she said that the NDIS has made dramatic change in her life, and I can see it in her. She can speak now more clearly. She has someone with her who's she's got a lot more. It's a lot of good, but when you hear the stories that we're hearing, it makes it hard on those people. It's unfair for those people for whom it was really to be desired. Plus, the states have now it totally pulled out of delivering disability services and said federal government, it's your problem.
Speaker 2: So it's a lot a lot of work there and to a very.
Speaker 13: Expensive speech writer, it's not going to fix it.
Speaker 2: No, that's true.
Speaker 1: I mean the coalition says it works out to something like twenty two thousand dollars speech.
Speaker 2: You hope that they are good speeches.
Speaker 1: Now Chris Bowen has declared that the next federal election will be a referendum on nuclear power. Well, it's going to be a referendum on cost of living, I'll tell you that. But nonetheless, Chris Bowen writes in The Australian that pro nuclear facts are being asserted with confidence that beaur little relationship to reality. Keith, this is your one of your areas of expertise.
Speaker 2: What's your response to Chris Bowen?
Speaker 12: Well, you should find Chris Balen's piece in the OS. I think from memory it was on the top right. Ignore it and move.
Speaker 4: To the bottom left.
Speaker 12: There's a piece there from Jerdah Sloan and it is absolutely on the money. It is a ridiculous proposition from labor. The idea that we can run this country on intermittent supply is just nonsense, and nuclear provides an option that works. It works around the world, it's used in other places. But Chris bon seems to have some sort of ideological opposition unless it's in a submarine. So how is it possible for labor to argue against nuclear on but for nuclear in submarines, against nuclear everywhere else? Because apparently you'll get three odd fish that you say on The Simpsons, but not in a nuclear submarine which will get every major port in the country. It's a ridiculous proposition, mister Bowd. He should just wake up to himself, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Well, it is going to be an issue at the election, but probably not in the top five, i'd say. Now, Dr Anthony Fauci, we've covered him a lot on this program. He faced quite a sensational grilling at Congress today. To hearing he denied allegations that he covered up the theory that COVID nineteen may have leaked from a laboratory in Wuhan.
Speaker 2: Have a look at how this unfolded.
Speaker 14: I don't think the concept of there being a lab leak is inherently a conspiracy theory. What is conspiracy is the kind of distortions of that particular subject, like it was a lab leak, and I was parachuted into the CIA, like Jason Bourne and told the CIA that they should really not be talking about a lable.
Speaker 2: Thank you now, Bronwin.
Speaker 1: It would be impossible in the space of time we have here to recap my investigative journalism that I've done in this area, but leedless to say, there were conversations and I've interviewed the other health official on camera that Anthony Fauci had the conversations with where they did decide to publicly downplay the lablique theory. There's also email evidence that points to this because they wanted cooperation from China.
Speaker 2: That's one reason.
Speaker 1: Another reason is that Anthony Fauchi's agency was actually funding the gain of function research in Wuhan. An emails show that he was worried he may have funded the research that led to the pandemic.
Speaker 13: Well, first, let's say your book was a very important part in opening up the lies that have been told during COVID, and any cold eyed view of what happened is clearly came out of the lab. And clearly when we say increasing the function, we're talking about making it more lethal. That's what That's what was happening. And then, for some reason, against all the preparations this country had made, we followed the Chinese model of lockdown, as has happened in so many other countries. So we desperately need his testimony. There adds to the conviction I have and many others have, that we need a proper royal commission here into what happened here, and the research that you did and made public made people understand that there was something rotten going on in this country.
Speaker 1: Now, my issue with those grillings, and I think it's excellent to be able to get Anthony Fauci in the stand and ask questions, but my issue with those grillings, and most of them are the same in the US Congress, is that it's all about the particular congress men or women you know, wanting to go viral on the internet. It's about their question rather than actually eliciting real answers from the person they're questioning. In this case Anthony Fauchier. Wish journalists would be able to.
Speaker 2: Do that instead.
Speaker 1: Roman Bishop Keith Pitt. Thank you both very much for joining me. Now, another big story today, Labor is planning to expand the eligibility criteria to allow foreign citizens to join our Defense FOSS. This is apparently to make up for a lack of recruits. No one wants to join the eightf anymore. New Zealanders would be the first foreigners to be able to join, and then there could be from January next year other countries as well. There's been mixed messaging from Labour today about exactly who will be eligible to join our defense.
Speaker 2: Foss have a look.
Speaker 15: As of the first of July, we will be enabling New Zealand citizens who have been permanent residents of our country for.
Speaker 10: At least a year.
Speaker 15: We will be allowing those people to join our defense.
Speaker 13: Folts.
Speaker 10: It goes well beyond New Zealand citizens, as you will know, and as broader application. Perhaps the Minister could provide us with the actual detail.
Speaker 15: What we learn, mister Speaker, from the question that has been asked by the Shadow Minister and from the interjection of the Leader of the Opposition now, is there are no bounds that they won't cross in order to run a scare campaign and blow any single whistle that they can find.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: Shadow Defense Minister Andrew Hasty joins me. Now, Andrew, thank you for your time. This is a big story today, your Shadow Defense What are your concerns about Labour's policy, Charry?
Speaker 16: This is a half baked, ham fisted policy. It was all over the place today. You had three separate ministers giving different information. There was no clarity around it, and it wasn't until this afternoon where they started to give us some clarity, but even so there are huge questions about how this will operate. New Zealanders can become citizens through the ADF from July one, and then January one, permanent residents from any country can join our ADF and then within ninety days be given citizenship. This is the biggest change to defense recruiting since federation, and the Australian people deserve to know how this will be done, what security processes will be followed, what return of service obligations will be imposed on people, And we need to know because these are the people we are entrusting to defend us, the most difficult and sacred task.
Speaker 4: We can ask of people who serve in our uniform.
Speaker 1: Well, what are your specific concerns about having foreigners and they might be from five ised countries like minded nations, what are your concerns about foreigners joining the ADF.
Speaker 16: There's a number of reasons why we are concerned. The first is Director General of AS Mike Burgess has said numerous times over the last few years that espionage and foreign interference is at unprecedented levels in this country, exceeding that of the Cold War, and we are about to attract a lot more espionage and foreign interference because of what we're embarking on with Orcus. And so we need to know that the people joining our defense Force are people who believe in Australia, who uphold our values, and who are working in our best interests. And so this will impose a big cost in terms of security making sure that people who join the ADF are legitimate and it requires us to verify their backgrounds. And so this is why we need more than just a drop to the media this morning. We actually need a debate. We need a discussion, and they need to explain how they're going to roll this out. They've done none of that. They've absolutely done none of that, and it really is shameful the way they're just treating this as just another run in the mill policy poorly executed.
Speaker 1: There have been reports that you personally suggested perhaps have some of our allies join the ADF.
Speaker 2: Is this correct? And do you think you will reject Labour's policy?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 16: Yes, Look you know I've got an open mind about these things. And we have a recruiting and retention crisis, Sharry. We're five thousand people short in the ADF and we're going backwards because we're not hitting our recruiting targets every year and we're losing people every year. So I'm open minded about how we boost our ADF numbers.
Speaker 4: We already do lateral transfers.
Speaker 16: In twenty twenty one, Sharry I board a Collins class submarine. The captain of the boat was a Canadian officer who transferred from Canada. So we already do lateral transfers with five eysed nations, and I'm open minded about five eyed countries as well joining the ADF, as long as they meet all.
Speaker 4: The stringent security requirements.
Speaker 16: But the government has gone far beyond that, and they're suggesting that we'll take anyone from anywhere in this world, and I think that has a huge bit clear.
Speaker 1: You would support it if it was limited to five yes countries.
Speaker 16: Potentially. This is what we're going to explore tomorrow in estimates. This is what we're going to explore. We're going to ask questions of the government and find out exactly how they're going to roll this policy out.
Speaker 4: We're doing our due diligence. Chrry.
Speaker 16: You never rush into these things, and like I said, I've got an open mind but the way they've operated today, the way they've announced this, does not fill me with confidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, there's been a lot of criticism of defense leadership. You know, one very well known example the suggestion that metals should be returned even though the soldiers had nothing to do with any allegations of war crimes. Do you think that these sort of issues have had an impact on recruiting levels?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 16: I think the ADF has had a huge morale problem for some years now, a political correctness, a sense of procedural fairness not being upheld. There's a range of reasons why morale is low. But under this lab government, under alb and Easy government, we've seen Army slashed in terms of funding and capability. And our diggers aren't stupid. They know when the government doesn't believe in the mission and they're seeing that with the cuts to capability. So there's a number of reasons why morale is low and our task is to get it back up and get our men and women believing in the mission.
Speaker 1: Andrew, there's also the fact that Prime Minister failed to stand up for our defense personnel when they've been injured or nearly injured in a couple of recent incidents with the Chinese. I mean, you know, on both occasions the Prime Minister said.
Speaker 2: He'd raised it at the highest levels.
Speaker 1: In the one instance he saw the Chinese president, she personally didn't raise it. The next there were no count There were no ministerial conversations at all. Again, do you think this where the Prime Minister can't defend even verbally, people who are literally putting their lives on the line for our country. Would this also act as a disincentive joining the ADF?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Absolutely.
Speaker 16: I think our national leadership has to be as tough as the men and women who take the risks on our behalf. And we saw our divers experience the sonar attack from the Chinese destroyer last year. We saw that Navy Seahawk have flares fired at it by a Chinese fighter. On both occasions, the Prime Minister did not pick up the phone and go into bat for those ADF personnel. And that sends a signal to every single person in uniform that our Prime minister isn't making that a priority.
Speaker 4: And I think that has to have an impact on morale.
Speaker 1: All right, Andrew Hasty, thank you very much for your time this evening. We've got a lot more coming up on the show tonight.
Speaker 2: We're going to look at.
Speaker 1: Pennywong's outrageous comments about Hamas, plus local companies say they're being hurt by labours Free for All class action laws. Senator Jane Hume would join me to discuss.
Speaker 2: Welcome back Well.
Speaker 1: Australian businesses are being targeted by international law firms with major class action lawsuits. In one example, a UK law firm Pogast Goodhead has started a seventy billion dollar class action against mining giant BHP after twenty fifteen dam burst causing a giant mud slide in southern in southeastern Brazil, killing nineteen people.
Speaker 2: The class action comes.
Speaker 1: As BHP spent more than eight billion dollars in an effort to rebuild affected communities. But it doesn't end with BHP. One of the founders of this fom, Thomas Goodhead, told the ABC that they would keep pursuing Australian companies for environmental crimes.
Speaker 17: Do you plan to launch new claims against Australian corporations?
Speaker 18: Yes, I mean it's something that we've been studying a number of cases. I mean we were contacted, I was contacted a couple of years back by communities in Papua New Guinea. Until these companies stop committing environmental crimes, then there's a role for firms such as mine to be seeking to hold them to account.
Speaker 1: And the Australian Financial Review talks about the firm's explicit intent to target local multinational companies by investing their time in high return class actions, which can be worth hundreds of millions of dollars. The coalition says the laws around class actions need to be tightened to protect Australian businesses or to discuss im Joined now by Shadow Finance Minister Jane Hume, Jane, welcome to the program.
Speaker 2: Look, we've seen that this law.
Speaker 1: Firm is currently going head to head with BHP. Do you think this is a case that shouldn't be pursued.
Speaker 9: This is a problem that's been going on for a while in Australia, Sherry, and it's been going on because of loose regulations, light to touch regulations around class actions. But I'll say this out on the outs said, I'm no lawyer. I've never worked in a law firm, but I have worked at a fund management at a fund manager, and I know that fund manager will always go to where the money is. So, of course, these large overseas firms, backed by large overseas fund managers are now coming to Australia having identified that there is money to be made here through waging warfare against the ASX. They are essentially profiting from other people's misery, using our justice system, clogging up our courts, delivering very little for those that are parties to the class action, and more importantly, sending that money offshore overseas to big law firms and big fund managers.
Speaker 2: And they're being quite explicit about it.
Speaker 9: They're even boasting about it on social media, and that is unacceptable.
Speaker 2: So how is this a political issue? You know, what laws do you think need to be tighted?
Speaker 9: Well, the number of class action lawsuits in Australia now is out of control. There were fifty three new class action lawsuits just last year alone. That's a two hundred percent rise on ten years ago. Now, of those new class action lawsuits, a large number were run by just one firm, just one firm, and that was Marics Blackburn. Now Morris Blackburn is also responsible for six members of the ALP, Stephen Jones, Mark Drefus, the Attorney General Murray Watt, and three others that are not on the front bench. So you can see how this one firm that what do you mean they're responsible?
Speaker 2: What do you mean they're responsible for those labor politicians.
Speaker 9: Well, those labor politicians have worked for Marris Blackburn and before they entered parliament. And indeed Marics Blackburn has now delivered two new Fair Work commissioners just in the last twelve months alone, so you can see why this is a favored firm of the Labor Party. The Labor Party has no incentive whatsoever to reform this space. Moreover, Marics Blackburn has been responsible for around one and a half I think many will be two and a half nearly two and a half million dollars worth of donations to the Labor Party since two thousand and nineteen, So you can see this very cozy relationship between class action lawyers in Australia and.
Speaker 2: The Labor Party.
Speaker 9: The worst part of this, though, sharing is that these firms, whether they be overseas firms or Australian firms, are clogging up our court system. They're grinding our businesses to hold, They're costing shareholders, they're costing tax payers and essentially they're profiting out of our justice system.
Speaker 2: That's despicable.
Speaker 1: Now, Jane, just before you go, you made some comments relating to Josh Friedenberg in the seat of coup Yong. I spoke about this issue at the start of the program and said that, you know, I'm all for I support gender quotas, but the idea that an untested thirty one year old can't be asked to stand aside for the former Treasurer of Australia should he decide to contest his seat again, that's absurd.
Speaker 9: Well, Sherry, I think you've missed the point here, which is that that's a decision for the Liberal Party in Victoria. We desperately wanted Josh to come back. We begged him to come back, and he chose not to contest that preselection Emilia Hamer, who is a highly qualified.
Speaker 2: Young but he's open to change his mind.
Speaker 1: The preselections could reopen if there is a redistribution. The idea that he's been shut down and told that he can't even consider this because there's a female standing, isn't this pure identity politics.
Speaker 9: I don't think that that's what he's been told. I think that he has if he has been told, and I haven't spoken to Josh, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Saying be told privately.
Speaker 1: I'm saying that is the message that's emerged publicly by you and some others.
Speaker 9: I don't think that that was the message that I delivered, Sharry. In fact, I'm pretty sure it wasn't. The message that I delivered was that you can't reopen a pre selection based on boundaries that are draft. Now, when those boundaries become confirmed, well then that's something for the party to consider.
Speaker 1: But you'd be open to reopening the pre selections. You'd be opening having an untested thirty one year old stand aside and having the former treasurer re enter Parliament again.
Speaker 9: It's a decision for the Liberal Party. It's not a decision for Jane Hume. What I would say, though, is that Emilia Hamer contested that pre selection against three other people, one of whom was akc, one of whom was a surgeon, the other with whom was a fund manager. It was a hard fought pre selection and she won it fair and square. The idea that you would then step aside is a big deal. She's been campaigning for very successfully for a number of months now. She's doing a great job. So I think that there is another side to the coin. We would love Josh to come back. We've been saying that for my but he chose not to. He chose not to. Now, if there is changes to the boundaries that would be significant enough to reopen those preselections, that's a decision for the Victorian Party, but not until the boundaries are confirmed. In the past, draft boundaries have changed quite significantly to the or final boundaries have changed quite significantly to final to draft boundaries.
Speaker 1: All right, and still an open question the seat of Higgins.
Speaker 2: So you're saying it's still an open question of Higgins.
Speaker 1: Depending on the final redistribution boundaries, you might still reopen.
Speaker 2: The pre selection process are change and that.
Speaker 9: May well be a chance. But I don't know when those draft boundaries will be confirmed. It could be as late as October, and we could be facing an election as soon as November. It could be as soon as August, and frankly, if the economic outlook is as bad as it seems to be is we've discovered in estimates, it may well be sooner rather than later.
Speaker 2: We're out of time. Jane Hume, thank you. Very much for joining us.
Speaker 1: The Prime Minister has made clear though that he does intend to serve the full term, which is until next year.
Speaker 2: All right, coming up.
Speaker 1: Pennywong refuses to rule out recognizing a Palestinian state even if her Musk still has a governing role in Gaza. Plus the eye watering amount housing Australia has spent on consultants without building a single poem.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned, welcome back well.
Speaker 1: In an alarming development, Foreign Minister Pennywong would not unequivocally rule out Australia's support for Palestinian state even if Hermas retained a governance role in Gaza. The Foreign Minister said this insenate estimates.
Speaker 3: So when you say there is no role for Hermas in a future Palestinian state, that's what I mean. So there will be no recognition by Australia if Hermas remains in any position of governance.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to be drawn into.
Speaker 17: Questions of detail around negotiations around which we are not Party two.
Speaker 1: She also refused to say whether the decision to support the UN motion to recognize the Palestinian State had been through cabinet.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a reason she couldn't say that.
Speaker 1: It's because, as I exclusively revealed at the time, it was a captain's call by Anthony Albanesi. The PM made the final decision on that it should hardly come as a surprise, seeing as he has been a pro Palestinian activist since his very early days in Parliament. Here was Anthony Alberesi yelling into a megaphone during the Second into Fada when there were suicide bombings killing bus loads of innocent civilians in Israel at the time.
Speaker 13: Israel tru.
Speaker 1: Ing well, he was an MP at the time. This is a morally corrupt government led by a Prime Minister who supported Palestinians during the Second into Fada and a foreign minister who may support recognition of a Palestinian state even if Hamas is still in control. Let's bring in tonight's panel, Sky News host Kayler Bond and Sky News contributor Sam Crosby. Cayleb Pennywong is the worst foreign minister Australia has ever had.
Speaker 2: What do you think I mean?
Speaker 5: This is so weak, isn't it?
Speaker 19: You?
Speaker 9: Head?
Speaker 5: Last week, the Prime Minister on Josh Frodenberg's documentary on anti Semitism, saying all the right things, and if you had not heard a word that had come out of his mouth till that point, and you hadn't heard a word that had come out of Penny Wong's mouth until that point, you might have come away from it thinking, Gee, where's this Prime minister's gang ho on all this anti semitism stuff. He agrees that it's a real problem and something should be done about it, but we know that this government has flipped on this issue more than a kid working on the burger line at McDonald's. One minute, they're sucking up and saying, yes, yes, anti Semitism is a problem. Next minute you have us over at the UN agreeing that there should be a road to statehood for Palestine, and then the Foreign Minister saying this week, sure you know that there may be a way that there could be a Palestinian state recognized by Australia with Hamas still in power. The statement she made there that you showed that, oh, I'm not going to get bogged down in the detail of negotiations to which we are not party. That wasn't the question. The question was whether Australia would give recognition to a Palestinian state. If Hamas still had a life of power. The answer to that should take abou zero point five of a second to come up with, and it's no. We're all committed if we believe it, We're all committed to getting rid of Hamas for a two state solution. There is no two state solution with Hamas still in.
Speaker 2: Power, Well said, Caleb Well said. Now.
Speaker 1: In a breaking news story on The Australian, Simon Benson, the Political editor, reports that Housing Australia has spent thirty million dollars on consultants and executive salaries without building a single home. He writes at the agency task with delivering Anthony Albanese's ten billion dollar affordable housing fund for low income families paid more than twenty four million to external consultants and six million in annual executive salaries last year despite not having yet delivered a single completed house under the scheme. Sam Crosby, you work with homeless people. There is a housing prices. This is an outrage.
Speaker 19: It's hard to defend, Shari, It's hard to defend. And I say that, yes, obviously I work at Buddy's and yes, obviously I'm the husband of the new South Wales Housing Minister. So I'm a little bit conflicted here, but I think it's hard for any federal government to defend setting up a thirty million dollar bureaucracy, the vast majority of which is spent with external consultants. You know, each of the states have their own housing bodies already set up, already ready to go, already delivering thousands of units and dwellings each year and homes each year. So I just don't know why you wouldn't have a very small team of economists dividing up the money according to whatever the formula is and getting the money out the door into the community.
Speaker 2: Sam.
Speaker 1: I went to the city in Sydney the other weekend and I saw a homeless man sitting on against a building. You had a little girl, maybe about six, sitting on his lap.
Speaker 2: It was absolutely devastating.
Speaker 1: How common is this that children are now out of housing?
Speaker 19: Look, thankfully, not that common at all. There are many, many programs that exist to ensure that no one has to be homeless for any time. There are phone numbers that you can call state government phone numbers. There are housing providers like Saint Vincentabule that will ensure anyone, especially children, especially children can get a house in a bed tonight. If you're out you can call you know and get seen too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Caleb. I'm sorry we only got to you once tonight.
Speaker 1: Your comment was worth its weight in gold, though, and Caleb will see you back at ten o'clock tonight. Sam Crosby Caleb on, thank you both very much for your time. Now after the break, Just Center will join me on why she says Australia needs major reform. Stay tuned, Just Enterprice Live, welcome back. Well, let's bring in now Shadow Indigenous Australians, miniesot Just Enterprise, who is leading call for.
Speaker 2: Reform of Native title. Great to see you. What needs to change here?
Speaker 17: Look in terms of Native title, while it was well intended and it's all very nice to be able to have access to your land as a traditional owner to fish and hunt, it was very narrow in terms of what else Indigenous Australians could do so ideas such as economic development, economic independence, the opportunity to generate wealth from one's own land, it was very limited scope to be able to do that to begin with, and I think it's why we have some of our most marginalized Indigenous Australians exist in you know, in remote places like the Northern Territory. So I truly believe when inform when it comes to Native title and in terms of the Northern Territory, the Land Rights Act is also is requiring reform as well to provide these opportunities that are really needed for many of our most marginalized.
Speaker 1: Have you started this conversation yet with Linda Bernie, your counterpart in the Albanezy government.
Speaker 17: Well, look, I've had these conversations certainly with my counterparts within the Senate, with Melanderry McCarthy. I've made it very known publicly that these are issues, of course that I think require reform. I've always said that traditional owners, you know, well the land rich and dirt poor and need to be able to be job creators in their own right on country instead of continually but being dependent on well found on government to go out and create supposed jobs out in communities, but you know, effectively land locked in how we can and cannot use our land.
Speaker 1: And do you think the government is open to having this conversation and looking at reforms working with you to do so.
Speaker 17: Look, I welcome the fact that the government has decided to put five hundred thousand dollars toward reviewing native title itself. I would happily work with the government toward that, and I would also encourage them to take a really good look at the Land Rights Act within the Northern Territory as well. I know that many traditional owners across the country feel it's time that we looked at how native title is or isn't working to its best, to its best for the opportunities for traditional owners.
Speaker 1: An important conversation to have Disne Enterprise. Always love having you on the show. Thank you for your time, and I reckon Arry would probably pick you as his Prime minister.
Speaker 2: And here's poor here's Paul Murray.
Speaker 4: Now m