Speaker 1: Lately than gentle manner. Welcome to the late debate. Good evening, Welcome to the late debates. I'm killed. Richard's with me on the desk tonight, Evelyn Ray and Lucy Zelig. Now we're supposed to be transitioning towards renewable power. Well are we transitioning or why are we just wobbling in an uncertain direction? Also tonight, when there's a lone wolf kind of terrors, such as the person that we saw in this horrible event in New Orleans killing fifteen people, how safe are we in Australia and could they be activated by what's happening in the Middle East? Those stories coming up. But firstly tonight, what are you going to do in twenty twenty five? Well, I know one thing for certain you'll be doing. You will be voting, possibly in March, but perhaps as early as April, it could be that early. And how are we going to vote? Well, it may depend on whether your twenty third pair of chromosomes are xx or x y. Because we're told men and women are interested in different things. Women more aggrieved about the cost of living than men, and there's a gender split on key election issues. Generally, men apparently more in favor of nuclear power and more concerned about left wing ideology, women more concerned about the cost of living and less inclined to trust governments. So, Lucy, is there a gender split in this election?
Speaker 2: My gosh, who would have thought men and women are different?
Speaker 3: Shock me, Kel, this is a revelation.
Speaker 2: What do we do with it? I mean, look, I was listening to Caroline de Russo talk about this earlier with Danika de Georgio, and I tended to agree with her line of thinking in that you know, I know that we like to argue, and I guess in many respects. Now we're a modern, involved society. The roles have changed in the household. I certainly still adopt a very traditional role in my household. I'm the one doing the groceries, the cooking, the cleaning, and all those sorts of things. And my husband is the hunter gatherer, providing for his family. God bless him. But you know, I'm the one that's seeing the daily costs. I'm the one going and seeing just how much I'm getting for one hundred dollars, which is barely two bags of groceries. I'm the one usually seeing the bills come in and all of those sorts of things. So and I also think to a agree that it's a lot of this fear mongering around nuclear that has very much kind of, I guess potentially scared women off and they've seen the surface level of it, and that's sort of, you know, really gotten to them. And when I speak to most women, and a lot of them very intelligent, a lot of them in the corporate world, et cetera. To be fair to them, a lot of them are as invested in finding out what nuclear is all about, right, and the impacts and you know, the safety issues surrounding it that existed were you know in the days of Fukashima and Chernobyl that we've evolved from that that we do have a plant in Lucas Heights, for example, that's been running without much issue. So I think that those are the key kind of fundamental points where we can see a bit of a divide there. But I'd encourage most women to have a look at nuclear and to really explore a lot around it, and you'll understand why very quickly that countries like the United States, why they have bipartisan support for something like this, and why it is the most reliable and stable form of energy going forward.
Speaker 1: Research that's been done, Evelyn suggests that the parties neither party has got policies that really appeal to women, that both parties are actually failing to reach women voters.
Speaker 4: What do you think, Yeah, it's an interesting one.
Speaker 5: I mean, if you look statistically, women tend to vote more left side of politics, and men tend to vote more right, which is why if you look at American politics, they, you know, the Democratic Party, focus so hardly on things that they think women are going to like, like abortion and those have viv I know that's very true, but you know, I think it comes down to like the nature. You know, you're not allowed to say this, it's taboo, but you know, men and women are different, you know, color it's shocking.
Speaker 4: I'm actually great grateful.
Speaker 5: That we're able to say that live on TV.
Speaker 4: Men and women are different.
Speaker 5: And I think the reason why perhaps women vote more left is because we.
Speaker 4: Are by nature more nurturing, more caring.
Speaker 5: So these socialist policies tend to tug at our heartstrings, you know, these things like well, we want to make everybody not be poor, and that's a noble and moral way for us to think. But I think the anchoring part is when you get like that you know, voice of reason or the reality check that that it doesn't actually work out that way in the end. And perhaps, like, you know, it's good that we're having these discussions so that women can learn more if they perhaps haven't heard about nuclear maybe their circles haven't heard the other side or the other opinion. And now that women are more aggrieved about the cost of living, which has come out of here, they can start having conversations with people outside.
Speaker 4: Of you know, their usual talking structures.
Speaker 5: And here, you know, the other side. It's not scary being right wing. It's not you know, we're not demons, we're not we're not this awful wing all come exactly. And so these conversations are really good because I think the women vote is so important for policies, and I think sadly we've perhaps got it so wrong because we've convinced women for such a long time that you know, anyone the right basically hates them, which is not true. So good, good that this is coming out and hopefully change can happen.
Speaker 1: Well, the political wonks are very fond of saying the liberal party has got a women problem, but this research is suggesting, Lucy, both parties have got a women problem. Do you think there's a failure of politicians to connect generally with women.
Speaker 2: I think it's a failure on the voter's part to be honest, because, you know, and I asked the.
Speaker 3: Women, Yeah, we'll just on voters in general.
Speaker 2: And I remember asking this question the other day on Talkbak radio with two GB and saying, how much do you know about the people you're voting for? And this applies to both men and women, right. I genuinely believe that a lot of people that are going to the polls, and we had this debate very much so last night about whether or not this is going to be a referendum on energy and how much the impacts of inflation, costs of living, et cetera, will wager into how they cast their votes come May, if it is May. But ultimately, for me, I think it's up to voters to really do their research.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I watched a shocking piece of footage on another program a couple of weeks ago in which they were interviewing people on the streets of Melbourne and asking them who the premiere of the state was oh yeah, and people went, I don't know.
Speaker 4: They started showing.
Speaker 3: Photographs and the girl that I how old this person?
Speaker 5: We're talking like probably twenties, twenties to thirties, probably late twenties.
Speaker 3: And they showed photographs to this young woman and.
Speaker 1: Can you recognize this person?
Speaker 2: And you know what she said? She goes, she looks all right, And I went, what And these are people who are going to the polls that are going to decide the future.
Speaker 4: Of our country.
Speaker 2: That's why, you know, in America they espoused that view of you know, this is one of the most important and key elections of our lifetime. I very much feel that way about this election for us.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's our fault. Maybe it's the media. We are not communicating with the right people. Are we letting down that If young people don't know, right, if the twenty year old don't watch Sky News, if they're somewhere along the line, they must be getting information, and the old news sources seem not to be playing that role.
Speaker 5: I think a lot of younger generations kind of follow what their parents do, and I know, like, you know, my parents not Now I've radicalized.
Speaker 1: The fifteen year old sode exists to say no, Dad, you're wrong. That's what fifteen year olds do all the time. They don't follow their parents all the time.
Speaker 5: But I do think and statistics do show, particularly young women, they usually do what their dad does, what their father does. And so what our parents of our generation used to do was just basically do what our parents did and who our parents voted for. And once upon a time, you could trust the ABC, you could trust these mainstream media things. And I think now that there's been a shift, you know, they need to start going outside. I'm not telling to be disrespectful to your parents, but look at other different news sources like Sky and news like listen to us but you and stuff. Yeah, that's right, So that's an important one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's move on to what we will actually be voting on. And one of the issues is, as Lucy said, energy And at the moment, the big switch is meant to be on where there's this transition that is taking us in nice, steady, organized steps from the old coal fired power to renewable power. But is it happening. It's Chris Bowen's baby. He's supposed to be organizing this, and every time he talks, he says very confident things, but the energy bosses disagree. Today, the energy bosses have called for market certainty, that's what they call it, market certainty. As the nation switches towards renewables. Now they're saying they want to know what's going to happen, what the plan is, and what happens next. Why are they feeling uncertain?
Speaker 2: They've got every right to feel uncertain, kel because Anthony Albanezi a lah the Voice, hasn't done a very good job of explaining what this path to part of me to renewable energy is. Actually I'm not sure he knows. He doesn't, and it's the issue with it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: And the one of the key things that I took from this article that came out via the Australian Tales Great Report in response to the Australian CEO Survey twenty twenty five, the leading executives warned they were seeing investors pull investment from Australia into countries with more stable and supportive policies. So what does that mean? Most of the top perform economies economies in the world have adopted nuclear and very successfully. Right, And what we're seeing here is this petulance and this resistant resistance from the Labor Party side to acknowledge a they need to lift the moratorium, B that we need to have a transparent, educated and honest discussion surrounding what the best pathway forward is. We know that renewables aren't stable, we know that they're not reliable, that they aren't the cheapest form of energy, and that we need to start acknowledging these facts. Right. So there's a lot of issues surrounding this, and I think the Labor Party, unfortunately have been thrust into a situation now where they're being shown for who they are when it comes to this, which is very disorganized and incompetent.
Speaker 1: And these are the CEOs who sit in the board rooms and make the decisions about the money that will fund the sources of energy that we have. So them being uncertain, them being unhappy is bad news.
Speaker 4: It certainly is bad news. It's a massive red flag.
Speaker 5: But you know, if something is cheaper, something's more reliable, and something's more efficient, newsflash, you don't have to force it on people.
Speaker 4: People will willingly go to it.
Speaker 5: But the reality is it isn't cheaper, it isn't more reliable, and it isn't efficient. I don't know about people at home. I've said this example before, but it's a perfect one. We used to have dial up internet and then we went to broadband, and now.
Speaker 4: We have starlink. I have starlink.
Speaker 5: I think it's absolutely fabulous, especially because I live in the bush and I get perfect internet.
Speaker 4: Long thank you.
Speaker 5: But the thing is, no one had to put a gun to my head, or make legislation in the government, or make my life a living hell.
Speaker 4: To get me to that point.
Speaker 5: I willingly went to that point because it was better, it was more reliable, more efficient, and it was cheaper.
Speaker 3: It's that simple with this debate.
Speaker 1: And the force that does that is the market force. You put these things on the market and let the market decide what they want to buy and what they want to pay for. But that's not happening in this case. Because renewables are so heavily subsidized, we can't tell what the market wants, and these CEOs, I assume, can't tell what the market will take because of the huge amount of government subsidies floating in this area.
Speaker 2: But this is why, Kelly, you've hit the nail on the head. But this is why they're demanding more reliable and I guess clearer pathways forward on what this is going to actually look like. And unfortunately in Labour's case, in particular Chris Bowen's case and his insistence on pushing renewables onto the Australian public is that it's putting it's putting politics ahead of progress, right, it's not acknowledging that we do have another viewpoint, another argument in this debate, which is of course nuclear energy. And I guess that a lot of people have looked at it and you know some of their major concerns are around the timeframe, right, so how quickly will we be able to do this? And then it also broadens the scope to the other side, the darker side of the argument, which is depending on who you speak to. I mean I caught up with David little Proud from the leader of the Nationals Party, and when I put to him why it's important for us to remain in that Paris agreement, Why the coalition supports the Paris Agreement, given that we have some of the cleanest coal in the world, for example, and that we know that this time frame, this rush that labor really has a sin in the scare mongering that they have us in is something that isn't required. Right, we can take our time in that transition phase. But he pointed out to me and said, look, if we don't continue our I guess our partnership in our subscription to the Paris Agreement, what we're going to see is an increase in tariffs and that's going to hit Australian taxpayers hard in their pockets. So there's a lot of kind of moving parts to consider in all of this.
Speaker 1: It is, in fact that's the problem. We think if we'll just pull out of the Paris Agreement, which is what Trump is quite likely to do, or abandon that zero but the way the rest of the world then reacts may be not good for us. So, as David little Proud was telling Lucy, we have to take our steps seat easily while we're talking about what's happening in Australia is not quite so serious, but it's still happening. There was a Melbourne couple who drove from Melbourne seventeen hundred kilometers to get up to Barren Bay. They went to a beach called Tiagra Tiger was a little bit north of Byron Bay and they'd heard that it was a nude bathing beach, so they went there. They took off their gear, walked onto the beach and people wearing swimmers came up to them and said, that doesn't happen here anymore. So the question is, are we becoming a nation of prudes? Nude beaches shut out in the nanny state? Now, what's actually happened in this particular case. It used to be under Barron Bay, a barren Shire council. They said it was optional, you didn't have to wear any clothing on the beach if you didn't want to. That was challenged, it was renewed, but suddenly New South Wales Parks and Wildlife discovered they controlled the beach. It was their beach, so they immediately said goes back to being a normal beach where your swimmers. So what do we do about nude beaches? Are we being a nation of prudes? Or is this something that we suggest say it's okay these days.
Speaker 5: I'm happy if you want to call me a prude, but I think it should be open to everybody. I don't think that we should have mid beaches. I happen to think that we should have a high public standard. You know, they tell the government to stay out of the bedroom. Well, I would like the bedroom out of public view, thank you very much. If you look at a particular nude beach Enviarron Bay, I don't know if it's the same one as this, but back.
Speaker 4: In twenty seventeen there were.
Speaker 3: Multiple reports about sex pests that were.
Speaker 4: Loitering around these places.
Speaker 5: There was a woman who saw people performing sexual acts, you know, and then another group in you know, with multiple people, like a group scenario. You had men blocking women on the path. I honestly think that the world will be better if we had high standards. If you reward bad behavior, you get more of it. And I think we should as a society have a high standard. And I'm more than happy you call me a prude, but I think nude beats beaches.
Speaker 4: Should be gone beach okay.
Speaker 1: And that's why there was a complaint. There was a complain to lude behavior and so they said, you know, stop it being a nude beach, and Buyern Council said no, no, no, no, it's still going to be a nude beach. But then Parks and While Life said no it won't be. So are we a nation of proof. I mean, as an old family man, I come from a generation that thinks when you make a beach a nude beach, it means families can't go. And so what you're doing is you're not actually creating a beach for people who want to be nudes, you're closing it for families. Am I wrong?
Speaker 2: It's an interesting one because you know, I have traveled a lot in Europe and it's really quite commonplace. It hasn't been uncommon to and I go completely nude. I'll just make that clear. But it's very normal to see women kind of walking around topless. I mean, you don't necessarily see men completely nude. But it's interesting how we have completely kind of different cultural views when it comes to this. I completely disagree with any forms of solicitation or issues or sex pests floating around. I think once that becomes an issue, shut it down. And the other school of thought also in this is that you know they're public beach is right, So I guess if you know that it's a nude beach, you know what you're going to be getting when you get there. But is it fair to completely shut down a nude beach?
Speaker 5: Actually also to find around nude that's anywhere else.
Speaker 2: Well, that's true, But you know, is it completely fair to shut down a beach and say, well, no, if you don't want to come here nude and be an exhibitionist, then you can't come.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's I have a view that if it's a nudist beach, I'm not going to be going there.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to be visiting there. You know, I'm not going to be.
Speaker 5: Going on gluing myself on the hard walk shut down on the nude beaches.
Speaker 1: But you want to know ahead of time if that's what you going to be coomed.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 5: But yeah, in a perfect well you're finding very quickly kell.
Speaker 4: Not hard to get.
Speaker 1: It doesn't take you long if you go there to work out what's going on. Let's turn to what's happening in the world of employment, which is also changing. We're told that the things that are happening in the world of employment will be different in twenty twenty five, and one of the things that will be different will be diversity, equity and inclusion.
Speaker 5: That's the de Well my band words we did this week.
Speaker 1: Well, they've said that there's a lot of hype about what's changing in workplaces and this will change. Now a lot of companies are now saying they're not so much abandoning diversity, equity inclusion the DEI, but they're going to change the way it operates, some very large companies, so they've announced changes to these programs so you won't be chosen for a job necessarily on the basis that you're the right gender or the right race or whatever. Are they going to really move away from DEI? Do you think, Lucy, or is this just a smoke scheme.
Speaker 2: You're a word smith, and you know all of the wonderful cliches that we have, and we discussed this earlier. If you polish a turn or put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig, and it's still a turd. I don't know that they're necessarily going to move entirely away from this. It's something that they have created as a pillar in an attempt to try and you know, showcase to everybody just how virtuous they are. I want the person for the job that is rewarded with the job based on merit, right, That's who I want for the job. And I think that's really critical and key you know, I speak to someone that specializes in government contracts and she said it's an absolute nightmare for her because she has gotten requests where she said, I look down at the paperents as well, we're looking for an indigenous engineer. Well, I mean, but based on what I mean, there have been job adds that again that I saw this week that are targeting specifically in people from indigenous communities, right, which I think is just it's a total kind of sham of a process then, because what you're saying is is that we're not valuing the quality and the skill sets that someone has in this role, where putting their ethnicity or their race, their heritage above all else. And you know, we saw DEI was a perfect example at the assassination attempt, right, those women in the Secret Service trying to protect Trump. If that wasn't the most glaring and obvious example of why we shouldn't have these things in place. And I don't know what is well.
Speaker 1: The d I apparently gave us Kamala Harris work out terribly well for the Democratic Party or necessarily terribly well for America. It is the case, though, that there are big companies Walmart and America as an example Evelyn, where they actually shut down their DEI department. It's gone. It does not exist in Walmart anymore. Might it happen?
Speaker 5: Look, I think that, to be honest, they've done such a number on people that people would be so scared to not do this, especially businesses.
Speaker 4: Like it's like a mob attack.
Speaker 5: If people don't do Dei HighRes, the mob basically comes with their pitchforks and their little fires, and you're done.
Speaker 4: But it's interesting. I think EI has been.
Speaker 5: Around a really long time, and I think it's only been getting it so much traction recently because everyone's sick of the woke stuff.
Speaker 4: But I witnessed DEI in the police. I probably was a Dei high.
Speaker 2: I was my job.
Speaker 4: I mean I was eighteen, I had.
Speaker 5: No life experience, but you know what, I was a female, so.
Speaker 4: I probably got in because I'm happy to say that. And that's the thing.
Speaker 2: I am good at your job too.
Speaker 4: It worked out all right. But you know what's funny.
Speaker 5: You know, It's something that I've noticed is that everybody says that DEI hires are fantastic.
Speaker 4: Everybody has to have it.
Speaker 5: But as soon as you say to someone you're a dee I hire.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I'm not. And they get offended by it. That's very telling.
Speaker 1: They want to say I got it on.
Speaker 5: Merit exactly, and that's because everybody knows within themselves that that's how they should be employed based off that and nothing else.
Speaker 1: Let's turn back to the story which has been dominating the news again today, the story of that dreadful attack in New Orleans where fifteen people died in a really horrible incident. Now the FBI now telling us it was a man acting alone, it was not a terror cell around. And the problem with these lone wolf sort of actors, these lone wolf terrorists, they could be terribly hard to find. Mike Puzzulo was the head of the Department of Home Affairs in Australia and he is warning us now that isis will quote exploit Palestinian anger after the New Orleans terror attack, So he's warning us to be careful. The terror rating in Australia at the moment is probable. That means over fifty percent. It is more likely than not we will have one of these attacks. And it's these lone wolf factors that it's so hard for the experts the intelligence experts, the police intelligence to identify it before they strike, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It certainly is. And it goes back to the conversation that we're having on last night's program right about you know, what can we be doing? Have you certainly agree that there's more measures that we could be putting in place to prevent these kinds of attacks. But we've always discussed very openly and honestly about the catalyst for these attacks and what we can attribute them to. And the fact of the matter is is that we've imported terrorism into our countries. Mass migration across the West, especially in Europe for example. I mean, you only have to look at Denmark, for example, who has some of the most toughest immigration policies in the world. Do you know who's scoffed at them? The United Kingdom, Germany and Sweden, by the way, all three of them are now in the grips and the throes of an immigration a migration crisis, right they don't know what to do with the crime. They've got open borders in Germany. I mean, it's an absolute circus. So the sooner we start admitting to ourselves what the root cause of this is and addressing that and recognizing that having strong borders in your country isn't a form of racism, that it is designed to protect your nation against entities that want to enter and espouse hatred for that specific country and submit allegiance to their own values above Australia's, for example.
Speaker 4: Then we'll start to.
Speaker 2: Have an honest conversation around it and a more logical conversation around it.
Speaker 1: Mike Pozzulo, is, the head of the Department of Home Affairs, was a man who was an absolute expert on this when he was in that job, very highly regarded. I'd like to share with you a quote of what he said today in that article. He said, we cannot afford to take our eye off al qaeder Isis and their spin off groups. These groups will also look for opportunities to exploit sentiment with large Muslim populations in Western countries. I tell you what, it was one puzzling me when I looked at that Penny Wong has taken a very strong pro Palestinian stance. Does that make us any safer or are we still exposed to these attacks?
Speaker 5: Look, I actually have a fairly different take, and I think what you know he said is one hundred percent. And from my experience in law enforcement, you know, this is an opportunity for a lot of things to potentially come from this. But I think that we can't just blame Isis, and I think it's really important that we remember that this problem would have still existed before these things happened. There are always opportunistic criminals out there. There are always opportunistic people who will, you know, try to influence and sway groups of people.
Speaker 4: But what we have to.
Speaker 5: Remember is when you import somebody from another country, you don't just import you know, exquisite like spices and different cuisines. You import ideas, You import loyalties to their motherland, You import ideologies. So regardless of this, I think the problem would have still existed. And one thing that I'm really worried about is that we're going to get the Palestinian protesters who are there to legitimately protest for the rights of the innocent Palestinian children, which is tens of thousands who are dying in this war.
Speaker 4: You're going to I'm worried that we're going to create.
Speaker 5: A problem where we're going to conflate people who are just legitimately from a Palestinian background, who are there and we're going to assume because of statements like this, or there all must be ISIS terrorists or they all must be you know.
Speaker 4: Sympathetic to ISIS.
Speaker 5: So what we have to be careful of is while this information is true and I've seen it with law enforcement, and there will be opportunistic moments from this, we need to be very careful to separate the two and be very careful not to label everybody who is going to be protesting for Palestine as ISIS sympathizers or they've already got their foot in the door, because I think there is.
Speaker 4: Loyalty to homeland.
Speaker 5: If you're Palestinian and you're seeing things, of course you're going to be on the streets for that. If you're from Israel and you're seeing all this stuff, you're going to be doing the same thing.
Speaker 4: It's it's in us to do that.
Speaker 1: So the one thing we can take out of this, and sometimes some good comes out of evil, is that we're now more aware, and certainly the authorities, the people in responsible positions in our country are now more aware and will be more alert and will take more care. Let's turn to the question of who owns what In Australia. For a long time, the villains have been the baby Boomers. Baby Boomers born nine forty six to nineteen sixty four were sought to be thought to be the people who bought property cheap, and now they're all millionaires because property has gone up so much in value. They've occupied the positions that have blocked promotion to everyone else. Well, it turns out it's not quite the case anymore. The next generation to come along is Generation Next born nineteen sixty five to nineteen seventy nine. They are now australa His wealthiest people as the boomer started to retire. This is an new report from KPMG, the huge accounting company. They say the wealth is being transferred from one generation to the next generation. I wouldn't be surprised about this. Just seems to me to be a fairly natural progression that happens.
Speaker 2: I agree, and I don't think it's necessarily an accurate depiction of what's really going on. Whether you have people who are passing away and then leaving that certain property to members of Gen X, you know, I feel that it's not necessarily, as I said, an accurate reflection of what's really happening. So ultimately I missed out from all of this, but I think about six years so I'm not able to share in all of that wealth.
Speaker 4: Share a whole millennial London.
Speaker 2: I've made this point a million times right about my parents. You know who came to this country. My dad came here with eight dollars in his pocket, was able to create a very successful company. Doesn't have to worry about money. I keep saying to him, Dad, go and spend it. I'm not waiting for them to pass away so that I can live. And I think that a lot of people are kind of relying very heavily, and sometimes by no fault of their own, but relying very heavily on that inheritance because of just how difficult the pressures are in the cost of living and to enter the housing mind.
Speaker 1: Can I say, if you are a baby boomer, the policy you should adopt his skin ski in spend the kids inheritance. Now, get on with it now. Robbie Williams British entertainer, hugely successful, hugely popular, worth about ninety pounds sterling, so a lot of money. He appeared in Sydney New Year's Eve, he's just given a concert in Federation Square in Melbourne, and he was sad, we say, not entirely polite at that concert. He's accused. He's attacked his critics who accused him of over promoting his new movie during the ABC telecast New Year's e Fireworks, and he did he's got a new movie coming out, so he gave it a mention. He said, I am here to sell my If a movie you twitch, you book Robbie Williams, you get Robbie Williams. And he's in the business of selling his movies and selling his records. You're Robin Williams. A Robbie Williams fan.
Speaker 2: I don't mind him. I didn't have much issue with his performance. V I don't know about you. I was okay. I thought it was a bit tacky when he was talking about, you know, his film and all the rest of it. But you know, sometimes I don't want to get caught up in and we can be guilty of this at times of just finding fault with everything. We've become grenches, like you know, everyone was hammering in for what he said and his performances. I tended to find it a bit humorous and quite funny, especially his quote where he said the menopausal audience I attract. They are violent efforts. You never know when they're going to go off. I mean, this is a man ev that's got all the money in the world. As Kel mentioned, he can do what he likes and say what he likes, and.
Speaker 1: We would expect him, nevertheless, to show some respect for the audience, which hep is not to have done. You are Robbie Williams fair evalent.
Speaker 5: My dad is and he doesn't watch me on the TV, which we'll talk about later. But but my dad, so I grew up listening to him.
Speaker 4: Not huge fan.
Speaker 5: To be honest, if I heard him, I probably wouldn't listen. I'd flick the channel or something. But I have no problem with him saying this. You know what, I'd probably react the same way of annoying menstrual women were.
Speaker 4: Snagging at me for something. I go, I don't really care, so no problem from my end.
Speaker 1: Look, if he wants to plug something, that's what he does. He's in the business to earn money. So the movie was actually shot in Melbourne. It's a bioo pick that tells the story of his life and if you get if you're in that position and you get an opportunity to plug your movie or your book, or your new CD or your new album, whatever it is, then you do it. I mean, I've had a new book come out and every time I appear in the program, I'm holding up the cover and flogging the book like crazy. It's what do you do?
Speaker 2: And again we have to be able to laugh at ourselves. The only thing I will say is don't miss with a woman and her allmans and I know what.
Speaker 1: It's not safe now as Australia is going to has already been the legislation's past Parliament access to the social media for under sixteen year olds as a model for the world, but the world following talk about that next the social media story at a moment, but first in Britain, there's a call for a national inquiry into child sexual exploitation. The request has been rejected by the Starma Labor government. Despite a long and ugly history of young girls being groomed and raped by gangs of mostly Pakistani Muslim men in cities across the North of England, abuse that was ignored for years by authorities who feared being labeled racist. One estimate says that in Rotherham alone, something like one thousand, four hundred young girls were abused over a sixteen year period. And that's just one of a number of cities, mostly in the North, where the police and the care services are accused of serious failings. Now Evelyn Elon Musk has now brought into this debate. What's he had to say?
Speaker 5: Well, it's interesting he actually tweeted free Tommy Robinson and then underneath that tweet he's attached a documentary. Now, this documentary was one that Tommy Robinson released which basically gets into the nuts and bolts of this particular type of crime that is rampant across the UK at the moment.
Speaker 4: Tommy Robinson is now.
Speaker 5: In prison because part of him releasing this documentary was him being in breach of court orders. The police told him to not post this he would be in breach and he posted it. This is kind of what has flared this situation up. So Originally in twenty twenty two, an independent inquiry was made into this type of thing. Now from that there are about twenty recommendations that were given. Now as a result of that, people are saying it's not good enough. Because nothing has happened since this independent inquiry and so they've tried to resurface it again. Now as a result of this, you have absolute online outrage at just the information that is coming ahead. We also have Kemy Badnock, who was called for a national inquiry and she has come out and said that she wants an inquiry into the grooming scandal that took place across the UK towns and cities, arguing that one was long over due. So she's come out and said that, which is massive, which is really good, which hopefully.
Speaker 4: Will get things happening.
Speaker 5: But I just wanted to go through some of the information that has come out as a result of this, because it's amazing the CEO what the owner of Twitter can do, because it took someone of that magnitude to just put a comment on this issue for it to go viral across the world and stories have been flooding in. And one story is that it's actually close to over two one hundred and fifty thousand white girls over the last twenty years, and that's what we know of that have been involved in these grooming rape cases. To just let that sink in, over two hundred and fifty thousand that we know of. There is a story of a thirteen year old girl who was arrested for being drunk in an apartment with seven Pakistani adult men. Now how this came about is a neighbor heard a scream. Police have attended and upon attending found a nearly naked thirteen year old girl at the scene who was drunk. She was arrested and she was found guilty in court. But the worst part about this, and what everybody is saying, is that every time this is spoken about, is that their feared being called a racist.
Speaker 4: There was a girl by the name of Samantha Smith. She went on gb.
Speaker 5: News okay, and she spoke about the gangs in Telford over there, and the next day police attended her address and knocked on her door and intimidated her.
Speaker 4: To stop talking about it.
Speaker 5: There was also an MP who shared a tweet basically saying these girls in Rodin should shut up and that they should shut their mouths because of racism.
Speaker 1: On the top of all of those stories, the thing that is really staggering, Lucy, is that the Starma government won't act, won't actually say let's have a national inquiry and a child sexual exploitation. That's hard to understand, isn't it?
Speaker 2: For what reason?
Speaker 1: Kel?
Speaker 2: I mean, when you hear a story like this, and if this is the first time, apologies viewers, because it is very confronting. But if this is the first time that you're hearing this, it will be incredibly shocking and off the back of that when you put it into the context of the entire story, and then you've got someone like who's very bright, by the way, I love her very much, Chemi badnock and very strong when I host.
Speaker 1: Can I just say for people who don't know, she's the leader of the opposition, correct, the leader of the Conservative Party, So that's who we're talking about, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, and she was appointed last year the head of the Tories. You know, when you see issues like this come about and you see government resistance to launching an inquiry into this to get to the root cause of it, to get to the bottom of why there was this systemic failure from authorities to act in this regard. I mean, a thirteen year old girl in an apartment, of.
Speaker 5: These Sathers who were arrested, who tried to take their children back, I.
Speaker 2: Just I feel sick at the thought of this. This is disgusting. Our children are our most vulnerable and they are the most worthy of the greatest protections that we have to offer them. This has been a catastrophic failure. It's a huge scandal. It's probably why they don't want to launch an inquirity into it, because they feel as though it's going to make them look like failures and they are.
Speaker 1: Some of the people who did this have been caught. By my account, there's something like fifty nine men in Rotherham who have been charged with mostly with multiple offenses. They're now in prison. They're serving a total jail time of two hundred and nineteen years. So there's a sense in which the people who did it have been caught. It's the people who covered it up and who ignored it that's the worry, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Everly, it's certainly a worry when you have law enforcement, the people who are supposed to protect you from this basically saying that, you know what, I've deem racism as a bigger threat than the threat of being ganged rape.
Speaker 4: That's very dangerous, and that's.
Speaker 2: Instead of being a racist there they are of doing their jobs, and that's right.
Speaker 3: Young girls.
Speaker 4: Shame on all of you exactly.
Speaker 5: The fact that fathers who are trying to intervene were arrested as well, Like, it's astronomical, the outleabit interestingly, and I'm making no suggestion here, but there are lots of people online who are sort of saying that the reason why this wasn't dealt with properly is because who was in power during these years, who was in charge of the public the prosecution department. It is, it's a snowball, and to be honest, I think they're afraid of what's going to be at the end of that, which is why there's so much censorship around it. But coming from law enforcement, and I worked in child sex crimes as well, it's I feel like this is the tip of the iceberg and that's what terrifies me the most and needs an inquiry.
Speaker 1: Well, now you know what's going on, you've heard of what's happening in Britain. I mean, you could be part of it by going online and simply if you want make your voways heard as well. And at least there are people now calling, such as the leader of the Opposition, Andy laud Musk, calling for that full National Public Enquiry. How long can that be resisted? We'll see. Let's move back to the subject of social media, because that's where all of the news about this case is being spread. At the moment. Social media in Australia is now not open to anyone under the age of sixteen. Well, the law doesn't come into effect for a while, but the law has been passed by our federal Parliament and when it was past we were told this, we're leading the world in this. This is the model for the world. The world will follow, But it appears the world is not following. Let me tell you about Peter Kyle. He is the UK's Technology Secretary and he has abandoned any plans to introduce social media age bands. He's looked at our legislation, He's looked at our plans and he said, not for us just yet. Why the hesitation do you think losing?
Speaker 2: I don't know, and I get the sense that the panel has a different view to mine when it comes to this. I know that there was certainly a lot of issues, concerns and questions raised around the Albanese government's intention to move forward with this particular legislation. In our Australia, but it did have bipartisan support. Peter Dutton and the Coalition supported his decision. Where I start to kind of lend my feelings in all of this too, is when you hear things like and we've seen such a rise in it, but the most recent case where a mother in Townsville admitted and revealed with everybody overnight that her daughter, Addielle Boyd, a twelve year old, beautiful twelve year old girl, took her own life over cyberbullying. And it's a really difficult conversation to have because I'm a parent and I've got a daughter, and I often wonder about what this young girl might have been exposed to and what our young children are being exposed to in the deep dark web. You know, my children have on occasion just watched a YouTube video and it's gone on and on and on into another area and I've only overheard it because I've been in the kitchen or something and there's been swearing, there's been violence. There's been videos that as you go down the rabbit hole that have emerged that I've gone, this is entirely inappropriate for my daughter to be watching. So I got rid of it. So there's the school of thought where you say, as the parent, I did the right thing, and it's up to me to censor my child from what I deem to be inappropriate for her. But at the same time, I think that when you allow your child to have access to social media and to all of these platforms, I think it's a big risk and I personally will not be allowing my child legislation or not to have any form of social media until they come And that's the point.
Speaker 1: It's the responsibility of parents to make these decision.
Speaker 2: But mquel it helps having that line where because I know and a lot of other parents have complained of the same issue that have had the similar stance to mine, where they've said, it's all well and good for us to have this view, but then they go to school and other parents don't have that view other parents, and then that's easy for you to then turn around and say, well, that's the rule in our house. But then what that creates is an environment where your kids start going behind your back and being sneaky. I don't want to have that issue, And at the end of the day, what it does is act as a safety in it where you can say it's illegal, you can't have it, and that's the end of the conversation.
Speaker 1: So the problem is kids are kids, and we know what kids can do, and you tell them you can't do that, and that's like a red ragtua bull. And the argument has been it will be unworkable. It will be unworkable because it will be unenforceable. I mean, kids will tell lies about what their age is when they go on to websites, and the kids who don't tell lies will know friends at school who do tell lies, and so they've got it on there iPad. It's really hard to see how it's going to work in practice, and in fact, I don't think the Obelize government has worked out how it's going to work in practice.
Speaker 5: I think they've made some suggestions how they're going to put this into practice, which is what's the scary part about it.
Speaker 4: I agree with everything that Lucy said.
Speaker 5: I think that social media should be banned from children. I think that, you know, it's just.
Speaker 4: Law or not. That's a rule that will be in my house as well.
Speaker 5: But I don't for one second think that they care about the kids. And I'm sorry, I care about the kids. I know everybody here does, and I'm sure most of you at home do. I do not for a second think that any of this legislation is about the kids. I think that it's the trojan horse every tyrants, every tyrant comes digitized dressed as a hero. That's what happens. And I think that if you look three years before they tried to do this in Australia, they tried to do it to adults. They tried to make adults upload one hundred points of ID for their social media.
Speaker 4: It got absolutely blasted.
Speaker 5: And fair enough, and fast forward three years and they're.
Speaker 4: Like, Okay, we'll do it through the kids.
Speaker 5: Because if anyone at home says I don't want this legislation, it looks like you must hate the children. And that's exactly what they want you to think. But how they enforce this, kel like you said, is through digital ID, is.
Speaker 4: Through the parents.
Speaker 5: Who's like, who's going to do this and doesn't even say he wants facial ID to do for this.
Speaker 4: So, you know what, I think that social media is bad. I'm all for education.
Speaker 5: I'm all for you know, getting it out there why it's so bad, and perhaps educating schools and parents in how to do this. That's great, that's fine. I'm not for legislationating it. That's the family sphere is for mum and dad.
Speaker 1: You're not studying. Don't give me the answer. Okay, this is Kel's answer. I'm quite appointed that Dutton and the Liberals decided to back this legislation because I think it is unworkable. There's a better way to go. What you what they should have done is to make it illegal to sell a smartphone to anyone under the age of sixteen, or for anyone under the age of to own smartphones. The reason why that's fun to hang on. I know, I know you. I was talking when you were interrupting it. That's very root of me. So I shouldn't do that. But what the model is is we don't allow kids to buy cigarettes, so we say kids can't buy smartphones. They buy dumb phones. Dumb phones mean they can send texts to their friends, they can be contacted by mum and dad if they need to be, but they can't get onto the web. There's no little screen there on the dumb phones. Now, if you passed the law about legislation that said we're classifying dumb phones and being like alcohol like cigarettes, people under sixteen can't have them. It seems to be that might actually be workable and might be enforceable, where I can't see how this is enforceable. You see the.
Speaker 2: Point, But you've just it's another problem, right, It's you're putting down one mole on the mountain and then another one's popping up.
Speaker 1: Let me know that we have a model when the model is the model is how we deal with cigarettes a right, it's.
Speaker 2: Like prohibition, and we've seen what's happening with vapes. They're still going to be able to access them. A black market's going to pop up. I'm just saying that it's another problem having yourself in another area. The only point I'll make is, you know, we're saying that it's unworkable and that we're just going to get kids who are going to access phones and whatever else. Maybe in the short term, right, maybe in the short term you'll see that it will be really difficult to convince the kids that have either had it or on the cusp of having it, that are excited about having it, and maybe they'll do the things under the table. And that's where as a parent you kind of have that responsibility to really pull them through that transition phase. But the longer this legislation sticks, the longer it goes that, you know, the quicker than it will, I guess, become normal a part of the status quo. I agree with your points about how challenging it's going to be to put it into practice, and how you know it's not going to be as workable as we would like it to be, and that that rests with Anthony Albansi. But to have that safety and that comfort and that ability to be able to say to my kids, guess what, it's illegal.
Speaker 5: So that's what I don't like, because I don't want to normalize the fact that the government have more power or end authority over my kids than mom and dad.
Speaker 3: Can you said that you don't want them to have it anyway?
Speaker 1: Say it doesn't reassure me when you say it rests with Anthony Albersi for some reason that is true.
Speaker 4: We can all agree on that kel.
Speaker 1: Very quickly before we go. Barcodes are about to change. We've had barcodes on products since nineteen seventy four, and they're about to upgrade them to I suppose barcodes two point zero, and they could be useful to us, so that if you've got a barcode in a shop, then you put your phone over it and it works like a QR code and it will tell you things about the products. Is it a or it's just another part of the conspiracy.
Speaker 4: It is definitely another part of the conspiracy. I'm sorry, sorry, but it's true.
Speaker 5: Look, if you look at the fine print of all of this, you're basically going from what looks like a normal barcode to what looks similar to a QR code and what that does. You can have a lot more information. You can only have about twenty five to forty characters for the old barcodes.
Speaker 4: This can be up to seven thousand.
Speaker 5: How they're selling it the trojan horse, I'm going to use that one trojan horse here is basically that you know, we can tell you what allergy is there, we can basically tell you whether it's off or not. We can do stock take, we can do this. But if you look at the fine print, it's about climate. They've said that you can monitor climate footprints and all these things only have.
Speaker 4: To go to Europe.
Speaker 5: Look at Europe how they've done carbon footprints, how it's bumped up prices of certain food depending on that.
Speaker 4: I think that's where this is headed.
Speaker 5: And I'm all for it being innovative, but I think this is going to head in a wrong case for our meat.
Speaker 2: I'm a farmer, I'm right, how's farting all the emissions? We're in big trouble here.
Speaker 1: Everybody a red meat or not. The fact is this is going this. We've got no control over this. If they decide they go to change the barcodes into these QR codes, they will. It's going to happen after the break. Billionaire Clive Palmer is applying for trademarks on some very odd themes. Tenuine a tip. Billionaire Clive Palmer has applied for copyrights patents on the word teal, which is the name of the color which is the brand of the Climber two hundred group, and also on a party that he wants to call the Clive and Pauline Party, apparently without asking Pauline Hanson's permission first. They're very odd things to get trademarks on. What on earth is he up to?
Speaker 2: I don't think anyone could answer that him and he's billionaires. They're just their kookie, aren't they? And they've got the capacity to do it. When you're worth over twenty billion dollars, you can do and say as you like. I think he's deliberately trolling the tea. I think he's got certain plans for it. And you know funny that he also then included Pauline in the name of the party without even asking her again.
Speaker 1: Without asking her to the bottom of that. Okay, I'll kill you by solution. My solution, Clive, is I'm going to see if I can trademark the expression Clive Palmer, and you can buy it back to me after I've trademarked it. Let's move on to this woman, because there is a woman who has been an actress. She's been a working member of the royal family, she's been a non working member of the royal family. Now she wants to become Nigella Lawson. Meghan Markel is doing a new television show in which she cooks. It's called With Love from Megan, It's just Big Mocked actually described as the fakest thing I've ever seen her new Netflix show. Take a look at this little preview.
Speaker 6: I've always loved taking something pretty ordinary and elevating it, surprising people with moments that let them know I was really thinking of them.
Speaker 1: What this is probably one of the most glamorous moments of my life. Now, Evelyn, do you want to learn how to cook from Megan Michael?
Speaker 5: No, I don't, But to be honest, she looks like she can cook amazingly.
Speaker 4: I have no issue with that.
Speaker 5: I just it is it looks very scripted. It looks like she's acting. And this is the problem. You don't know if she's acting or if she's genuine. And she's kind of created this because of, you know, her being known as a bit of a homewrecker. And I'm not going to be watching it. If any off I do, it's probably just because I want a sticky beak and see whether there's any sign of, you know, a nice cake.
Speaker 4: I might bake for myself. But that's about it, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Harry and Meghan are struggling to find a career because their career was bagging the British royal family and you can't do that forever. So Harry's made a documentary series on Polo. He was mocked for that, and suddenly Meghan wants to be Nigella Lawson.
Speaker 2: Oh she's got to do something right. I mean, I think it looks quite lovely, to be honest. She's trying to reinvent herself. She's got to deal with Netflix and she's got to justify right, so she's got to produce content. Good luck, Megan.
Speaker 1: Indeed, in fact, if you'd like to know all the royal news that is coming next when Caroline Derresso will be here with the Royal Report for the time being, that's enough from us and we thank you for your company tonight. Good Night,