Speaker 1: Welcome to How Today Afford That, the podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed and There's Always I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of Sugar Mummer TV, the financial literacy platform covering YouTube, podcasts, books, Instagram threads, TikTok and more. Hello, Canna, good morning. Can a quick little shout out? Not long now until our book comes out, Twelve Months of Financial Freedom.
Speaker 2: If you haven't pre ordered your copy, now is the time.
Speaker 1: And it does what it says on the cover. It is twelve Months to Financial Freedom. It is month by month helping you take control of your money.
Speaker 2: Right. We couldn't make it any easier for you to fix your finances and get you back on track and actually enjoying and being proud of the progress, because this is really about creating a shift and a breakthrough. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so, Twelve Months to Financial Freedom comes out in September, but pre orders are available now Today's episode and this really really interesting and this has the potential to almost be life changing. What we're talking about today. Most people I think they know well, they think they know what they earn, whether it's an annual salary or an hourly rate to take home pay, but it's not the full picture necessarily. And I was reading an article recently about the Fire movement. It was actually an article about Your Money or Your Life, which is the book that was the genesis of the Fire movement back in the nineties. And in the article, it was talking about the true hourly wage, right, this idea that we actually are all working for a whole lot less than we think. And once you understand that, and once you can calculate what you are actually working for, then it changes the way that you think about money. Money takes on a different value you and your time takes on a different value as well. So today the true hourly wage, best place to start is probably what is it? What is the true hourly wage?
Speaker 2: So this is where you sort of take your your gross salary, like one hundred thousand dollars a year, and then you go intoduct tax, and then you deduct all the work related expenses, like you know, getting to work, like bus fare or parking, fuel, public transport, if you have to wear like a special uniform, you know, the professional clothing involved, and that then you know, gives you obviously a net figure. And then you can look at the level of amount of hours that you're doing and that then gives you an hourly rate out of the interest. Have you ever done this before?
Speaker 1: No? No, I haven't. It is it is worthwhile. I've been a bit scared to do it. It's actually, yeah, because all of a sudden you think that you know the and a lot of these things, like when you're listing all of those expenses, they're not tax deductible a lot of those things like guion fees. But I mean like you're not going to be able to deduct the cost of the petrol that it takes to get to work and things like that for work.
Speaker 2: But no, there's a lot of things. It costs money to tone up to work, particularly when you think about things.
Speaker 1: Like childcare as well. Yeah, yeah, and your lunch and you're buying it at work. Stuff that's not.
Speaker 2: It works, you know if you have to wear a suit, yeah, to work? That expensive.
Speaker 1: All of these things. What about time though? Right, so that the focus obviously all of those things, they were all expenses. The actual financial expenses. But what about the time that you spend getting ready, the time that you spend commuting, all the time that you spend working when you're not supposed to be working.
Speaker 2: Yes, so that definitely factors in. So obviously, you know, the travel time, even like getting dressed and ready in the morning, you know, making yourself representable, it's the big one. Checking emails after work or you know, over the weekending up on project. All the extra hours that we have to do, you know, whether we've got to you know, we've got to travel, you know, say for a conference, so often people have to leave on a Sunday to make sure that they land at that destination and time. It really does it into our own personal time. All those hours really do add up, and we end up doing a lot more hours than say, like the forty hour week or the fifty whatever we've signed in our contract.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's how you get the two sides of this equation, right. You are taking your salary yep, take off tax, and then take off all of those other financial expenses.
Speaker 2: So the work related expenses and the time related expenses.
Speaker 1: But then with the time, right, so say you work a forty hour week, you then add on, say, say it takes you an hour to get to and from work every day, so that's another ten hours. And then you add on any time preparing for work or doing extra work at home or on the weekend. You add that, and all of a sudden that you have a sixty hour week.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. So the I guess the comment not dat a figure is getting bigger. So your hourly rate in the mathematical formula gets a lot smaller and quite depressing.
Speaker 1: How much lower? Like this is significantly lower.
Speaker 2: Right, So it's going to vary from situation to situation. And I've actually done this twice in my life. I did this a long time ago, actually when I was writing Mindful Money in my book, because I talk about the importance of having this awareness. I never went to that detail. I was more about looking at the negross salary minus your tax, and then obviously looking at you know, the hours. I didn't go into the I didn't even want to go into the detail of all the additional things out and how they add up, because it can get quite depressing. And then I did it actually ironically about six weeks ago, and it was very sobering.
Speaker 1: Is that how people usually react like, is it an eye opener? It is.
Speaker 2: It can be quite depressing as well, But if you are willing to sit through the uncomfortableness, I think it's very important because it allows you to see what you know at stop and question your value system and where you're actually spending your time. And I mean, this is going to be I'm probably going to rub people the wrong way, but you know, I think with this, I think it's great. I think it's very it's great to have the awareness because very natural for our brains to be driven by our egos and go, well, I own like one hundred and fifty thousand dollars a year. You know, I'm making great money. But when you actually do this, it forces you to look at the real numbers of your situation and actually how you're spending your time and the cost of showing up to work. And you know, this is why I have a bit of an issue with this, because you could go down a bit of a rabbit warren and add so many things to you, you know, to your hours. At the end of the day, we do need to get dressed up and go to work, you know, yes, it is part of our you know, to have a competitive advantage to be able to add value and be a great team player and you know, be a part of a great business or even run a great business. You can't just do the bare minimum of hours. You know, We've all got to put in strocim initiative, put in some effort and energy and passion into this if we want to get ahead. And that's supposed to worry whether this is this is a bit I'm going to get trouble for this, a bit a bit.
Speaker 1: Wokish, bit woke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I'm like probably going to get attacked for that. But I just I just feel like there's a bit of a cop out. Like I think it's encouraging. If you go too deep with this, it can encourage you to be a bit like my time's worth more like I don't have I don't need to do this. I'm going to luwer myself in society to check my emails and look, don't get me wrong, we all need boundaries professionally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also like, but I'm also assuming though that it's someone else's problem to fix right this to me, this is not about Okay, they're not paying me enough to justify the time that I'm putting into it. Your job is your job. Your salary is your salary. Yeah right. The things that you can change is the way then it approaches, you approach your spending and the mentality that you take into everything around it.
Speaker 2: And that's that's where I get worried that people get stuck in that and they can't question their career path, their question what they're entitled to the salary. They can get this like a bit of entitlement.
Speaker 1: They worried.
Speaker 2: It comes from this. But this is the flip side of it. Sorry about about Was I cutting you on?
Speaker 1: No? No, But I want to do though before we get onto the flip side, because we need to dig into this a bit further. But I just want to finish the calculation that we did before, because we had on one side, Yes, we had added up the you've got your salary and then you take all of the other bits and pieces off that and so let's use it add one hundred thousand dollars. Let's say it's one hundred and twenty thousand dollars only because I've just done some calculations and it's going to work better if I do that one hundred and twenty thousand dollars, but then you take off all of the other bunch of different things. Let's say you come down to one hundred thousand dollars, right, Okay, that's how much you're taking home tax wise. That doesn't work, but just turn a blink. One hundred thousand dollars. Okay, you work a forty hour week, So you divide you one hundred thousand dollars by fifty two weeks and then divide that by forty to get your hourly wage on paper would be forty eight. But if you're adding the extra time that you spend, say you're doing an extra twenty hours a week for all the prep that you're doing to get ready for work, and the commuting to and from work, and the extra shift that you do that is unpaid because you're working on a project from home. All that things something that you're working a sixty hour week. Instead of the forty eight dollars per hour that you were getting when it was a forty hour week. At a sixty hour week, it's actually thirty two dollars. And that's how you then calculate what this true hour wage is. What we're going to do now is take a very quick break and I just wanted to you just just unleash, yeah, because I can feel like every time you're about to say something, I've cut you off, and.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've said everything I need to say about my concerns of this. But then we need to seek about the positive signe of this.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was hoping thatd be a little bit more rage. Do you go like full sith? Just let the anger flow through you? Right? Quick break back in a moment, Canna unleashes. Can we are talking about the true hourly wage, and we've gone through how to calculate what your true hourly wages. We got little taste of your anger towards the potential sense of entitlement that it can create. Would you like to just recap anything that makes you angry?
Speaker 2: Look, I think it's great to have the awareness of how much you are putting into your work, but I think it's a slippery slope that can actually send land somewhere quite toxic for your mental health and not necessarily there to help you if used incorrectly. So the flip side of that.
Speaker 1: Is using it correctly, using it.
Speaker 2: Correctly to maybe get a greater understanding as to how you're using your time, and how you can maybe run your life a little more efficiently so that you're not doing twenty extra hours on top of your forty hour week, you know, clearing emails and working from home home and checking in over the weekend, and you know, doing a whole pile of prep and travel like. You know, having that awareness can maybe help you put some healthy boundaries in place, or can help you maybe look at your career path and maybe make some changes, whether it be investing in additional education and training to you know, to change jobs, or to renegotiate your contract and so forth.
Speaker 1: At its most simple level, does it help to reframe the way that you think about just what you are spending on. Surely you're going to be less frivolous with your money if you actually that's three hours of my true hourly wage.
Speaker 2: So this is the funny thing. So I did this recently and I felt quite it was very grounding. It's very humbling because you sort of go, oh, my goodness, look how much this gets stripped back to It's like is.
Speaker 1: It even worth it?
Speaker 2: So even I got into that kind of woe mentality, which is very unlike me because I'm I like to think of my someone who's got a lot of get up and go and I'm really passionate about my work and trying to live life. But I did this with my kids so recently. My kids, not my kids, My two girls are pretty wild. They do not listen to anything I say. And after asking them about thirty thousand times please don't play in the curtains, of course they go and play in the curtains and they rip down the whole entire rod that's like bolted into the ceiling. And it's very high ceiling, so it's not something I can just get on off a step ladder and fix myself with the drill. I've got to get a handy man out and we've they've snapped the rod and like like it's a long They've done a lot of damage basically. But I try to explain to them, like, you know, do you know how many hours it's going to I have to work to pay for someone to now come in and fix this and that, To try and put a bit of perspective into you know, where the time is and what it actually adds up to and what it when you don't use money wisely and carefully the damage it does, and you know, talking to my kids about that, and I was able to give them like a number of hours, you know, and now I'm like, that's time that I could be spending with you, playing with you, but now I've got to go and find the money to get this fixed. That awareness was really helpful. And like before, you're on a six year old for context, so of course, like you could only penetrate so deeply in their brain. But also with my son, you know, he wants a new bike, and you know he's putting a lot of pressure on me. I'm like, and we only recently, he only recently bought a bike. So I try and explain to him again that context of had you know, like how long does it take you to save that up with your hours? You know, bring it back to the hour, so you understand the important taking care of your items, the amount of work that's involved, how long it takes to save up. It's not like you can just pull money out of a hat. Just to have that grounding and that awareness as to you know, what you really want as well, because quite often when we get a context of okay, gosh, that's you know, three days worth of work, do we really want that new flashy thing. Is it just for our ego or is it just a short term satisfaction. I think that's where it can be incredibly helpful, and of course, like you can also go too far as well.
Speaker 1: For a very brief moment there, I thought you were about to say, pull money out of a rabbit. It sounds as you started to take a rabbit.
Speaker 2: Pull money out of a like a rabbit, like a magician.
Speaker 1: No, I figured that's what it was, and I just thought it was quite an intriguing image of where from a rabbit you would pull the money. Anyway, we'll move on, We will move on from that. One part of your money or your life and the fire philosophy is this idea of kind of the life energy and the that you are trading your time and your energy for money, right, And this kind of all ties back into back into this this trade off that you were explaining to your kids, the fact that this is these are our that you would prefer to spend with them doing something else, but instead you.
Speaker 2: Need now I need to go and hustle exactly to fix the curtains.
Speaker 1: Is that does that go too far? Can do you think? Because it feels like there. Yes, there is a little bit of use in reframing it. But we're all we all have to work, we all have to do something, and if you do that, you'll end up resenting your job.
Speaker 2: This is why I said. It can become quite toxic and also you can become it can become very limiting. Like you know, you think, oh, well, I kind of fool that because that's x amount of hours, Like it doesn't take into consideration the intangible value, the priceless moments from doing that particular activity or spending that money, you know, you know, such as a holiday. You know, you think, oh, well that holiday is going to take your momth's save up save up for it. Well, then I won't do it. You know, that's too much. But you're forgetting about what comes from that holiday, the memories, the moments, the bonding, the connection that you venture, the excitement, the journey. Yeah, you know, having your eyes open to see another culture. You know, that's the intangible value that isn't factored back into here, you know, and that could take your hourly way from being twenty two dollars to fifty two dollars. You know, and you know you can miss out on a lot of things if you get too fixated on.
Speaker 1: This, Where does it fit into the broader fire philosophy in that case, because this is a fire is all about financial independence, retire early and about getting more of that time back for yourself and to live the way that you want. It feels like it's actually all about a trade off, about working really hard now to give yourself all of those hours later.
Speaker 2: I think the thing with this is it's very much about the awareness, and I think it stops at that and how you choose to use that awareness in a positive way. You know, being aware of the time, being aware of you know your expenses, how you use money, Also being aware of the energy. You know what you're using to increase your energy, where you spend your time that depletes your energy, and of course what your lifestyle is. And this is a big component to the fire movement. Obviously, if you've got a expensive, extravagant, lavish lifestyle, that's going to need greater financial freedom to be able to support it, whereas if it's less it's obviously easier and faster to build. So finding that sweet spot that works for you, and again, as I said, this awareness so that you can work understand you know, obviously what the true hourly wage is for yourself, but actually build something that's meaningful and relates to what you want, what your value system is, what you want to intentionally build.
Speaker 1: If somebody does go through this process of calculating their true hourly wage and they don't like the answer and they don't like what they discover, how do they have spirally, how do you avoid becoming resentful of your work? What do you do? Is there a positive way to reinforce that?
Speaker 2: Well, it's about solutions and about stepping up and taking action to make those changes so you don't stay stuck, you know, looking at negotiating your work, you know, can you negotiate saying two days a week from home that you're not traveling as much? Can you look at spending some money on some additional training and qualifications so that you can look at changing jobs or apply for a pay rise or a promotion, you know, is it time to look at maybe a side hustle, you know, so you can start sort of adding back the you know, the top line figure to help get your you know, how much you actually walk away with as an hourly rate up?
Speaker 1: Again?
Speaker 2: You know, can you look at reducing your working hours. I remember when I first launched Triggle Mama TV and I did a video about this, and a woman wrote to me and said she changed her hours so that she could do longer hours at work, but then immense she got a whole day back at home, which was great for her but also manage. You got a whole day back at home with her young children and didn't have to pay for daycare. So that awareness is really really powerful, you know, looking at okay, like how do I run my life necessar I'm trying that this awareness to build intentionally build something that reflects back to you. So there's lots of different things. You've got to look use the awareness to look to the solution and understand what it is that you want to build it. You don't want to stay stuck because you become bitter and resentful and old and angry.
Speaker 1: This ended up being different to what I was expecting because I thought it was one of those things that you do it and it changes your life. It changes the way that you see your money, and it changes your approach to spending and to your job and all of that, But really it doesn't as such, and I think your advice today has actually been a good reality check on that that in the end, there are certain things that you actually just we need to work part of life.
Speaker 2: It also the intellectual stimulation that we get from work, you know, the value and the service that we add to others around us, the connection of working with work colleagues, you know, the community, you know, being a part of something I think is really important.
Speaker 1: And while it is a good exercise probably to do, just an interesting exercise to do, just don't go too far down the rabbit hole.
Speaker 2: It's very grounding and humbling, as I said, and it's nice to check in, but it's not something I recommend you become fixated with.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, Where do we find you if we want more information?
Speaker 2: Sugar on my TV, on Instagram or Canna Campbell Official.
Speaker 1: And you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business news. You can use. Thank you for listening to how do they afford that? Remember to follow on the podcast. That's very important and the best thing that you can do is actually tell somebody else about the show. Word of mouth is very important, and keep an eye out for our book twelve months to Financial Freedom. Available for pre order now. It is coming out on the first of September. Thanks for company. Join us togin next week. M