Speaker 1: Thank you to all of our listeners who continue to listen to us. Look, if you're enjoying the podcast, just do us a favor. Hit that follow button on your podcast app right now. It helps us bring you great new episodes and make sure that you won't miss anything. Whether you're on Spotify, Apple Podcast, or anywhere else. Just tap follow or subscribe and stay in the loop. Anyway, Guys, cheers, Welcome to The John's Friendly Podcast. For another week we are here. It's been a wonderful week. We've all had our share of getting the lurgie.
Speaker 2: So if I think you escape, I'm clean. I'm good.
Speaker 1: I usually get it for a day or two. Then just shake it off.
Speaker 3: You know, you shuk it onto me. I told you, touching, breathing on me, facing me in that. I'm like, turn the other way.
Speaker 2: God, you are just I don't like to.
Speaker 3: I can't bear it if I can't break the nose. It makes me claustrophobic, it really does.
Speaker 1: Dear Lord, Dear Lord, can I just call the solicitor and make sure what are the the divorce details else? Now that you blokes are past sixteen, because let me tell you, if it's fifty to fifty, I'm hitting the road, bra.
Speaker 4: Probably it would be fifty to fifty, isn't it fifty to fifty?
Speaker 1: Always?
Speaker 2: She's got positions to you take it everything year got brother?
Speaker 1: So boys, can we have your plan after it? Where your blokes will just get there and say you're going to live with me? Say something?
Speaker 3: I don't think it counts when they're in their twenties.
Speaker 1: Honey, Yeah, I think you count for something.
Speaker 4: Well, if you reveal you have them, you haven't you going to let me speak?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Do we have a voice in here?
Speaker 1: See, that's exactly what I'm to get it.
Speaker 3: I'd like to point out what I was on the two Doting Dad's podcast.
Speaker 2: What About It?
Speaker 3: I was really good. I listened to it. Oh my gosh, I spoke so eloquently. It was really good, And I thought, oh, why don't I do that on ours? And you know why? Because you don't prepare, because you're staring me down, you're giving me filthy looks, and you're cutting me off.
Speaker 1: Because you get your because you're interviewed by two blokes, you've got nothing to major.
Speaker 2: Look good.
Speaker 1: Seriously, your good talent, We do talent, but in this room.
Speaker 2: You're on the bottom of them.
Speaker 1: You're the bottom of the talent bottom around. Hey, you film Cooper, you get a.
Speaker 5: Bit of a I'm just stopped, well, bro, not well, I just I've been working myself too hard this state of origin period for you guys, for the fans, for everyone, and it's I've just I suppose right now it's starting to wear me down.
Speaker 1: Of course, when you get a running nose, it's more like a snot tsunami. Given that, well, for whichever.
Speaker 3: One you are, it is a lovely Cooper and perfect. Don't you worry about him?
Speaker 1: Don't you start? Don't you bloody started?
Speaker 3: I love people, just support you.
Speaker 4: I love big nose memory what on women or men or whatever I just find attractive really.
Speaker 1: Hasn't got a big nose?
Speaker 3: Women?
Speaker 4: I keep my nose from because you two both have Italian Did you did your dad have a massive SnO?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Really it was like thug. Yeah, my dad and my mum the most beautiful, perfect nose.
Speaker 1: And so are you saying that is did he beats me out?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But your nose does grow still continually as you get old.
Speaker 1: That's ears, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Nose and ears are the only two things that continue to grow.
Speaker 1: To see when you're ninety.
Speaker 4: If if I get the fifty minutes still growing, I'm just going to end it.
Speaker 1: What we'll do will put a weight to your back. It's just the sort of level yourself up and ain't you fallen forward?
Speaker 3: It doesn't.
Speaker 1: It's like Strawberry.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful, gorgeous.
Speaker 1: I love Strawberry astimes.
Speaker 4: I get up in the morning, I catch myself in the mirror and I just I cry.
Speaker 1: Truce does that?
Speaker 2: It's your sixties? And then you look at not only is it big, but it's probably red from the way you're drinking.
Speaker 1: You're talking to me, bruh big. Thank you to Tommy Berry, by the way he gave us him and him and all the hoops over there in he's his colleagues, he's in the in the racing game.
Speaker 2: It's a helmet for anyone trying to listen to understand what it actually Yeah, let.
Speaker 4: Me let me paint the picture that dad just refused to paint.
Speaker 1: Most it's not a.
Speaker 4: Painter, is he He was a anyway? So it's a helmet, jockey helmet, and he's got all the group ones jockey's to sign it. We've got Tommy Barry obviously Hully moment, James McDonald, Karen McAvoy.
Speaker 1: My favorite hoop at the moment, apart from Tommy is Zack Lloyd good, young jock coming.
Speaker 2: Lloydy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Lloydy's good. Lloydy can ride a horse.
Speaker 2: A little bit in the studio now. It's awesome. It's a really it's a great addition about Tommy berry On.
Speaker 4: It's an invaluable piece and that why we've brought it up today is because thanks to Tommy to give it to us.
Speaker 1: But we're actually gonna auction it off.
Speaker 2: But seriously, thank you to Tommy because we had time on the podcast last year. So if you're new to the feed this year, go back probably about thirty EPs or so. I think it was a great episode too.
Speaker 1: He was really good, a terrific fella, and you know, he's dealt a lot in his life and his his mom and dad. He brought his mom and dad and his wife onto to the show recently. Mum and dad the most beautiful people. Really, yeah, really really?
Speaker 2: How long did you spend with them?
Speaker 1: Actually he spent the whole game. We're sitting there watching. It was the Thursday game, and I sat.
Speaker 4: With him for the whole game, so it's about ninety minutes.
Speaker 1: I would say, given half time, probably a little more than.
Speaker 4: Can you really Can you really get to know someone in that long Yeah, I would say fair indication.
Speaker 1: They get a sense of people. You can see they're hard working, honest people.
Speaker 2: He has some good stories about our man Adam Elliot as well. He shout out old add he's actually had a top bicep surgery or shoulder surgery. Yes, I think out for eleven weeks or something serious. We all know he's our favorite player in the main.
Speaker 4: I would say, yeah, Adam Ellen is probably by country my favorite.
Speaker 1: He probably is min y personality wise, he's.
Speaker 2: Got the best personality. And him Andoria Tommy are very close mate, so they've got some good stories about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are very close. So they went to school together? Brother, did they go to school?
Speaker 4: I think they just they spent heaps of school nights together when they were young.
Speaker 1: Who wouldn't do it?
Speaker 2: I would? You know?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: Can I just start today? I an email?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what happened.
Speaker 3: Some blow? Will I give his name?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I'm going to give his name just because what happens is if it's an abusive one. No, no, not get hate but he'll get off on him.
Speaker 4: So yeah, they're sick it.
Speaker 3: But can I just say refer to him as strongo?
Speaker 2: Is this?
Speaker 1: Is this a nasty review?
Speaker 3: Leet's consider it a nasty Okay, Well.
Speaker 4: People are loads nice reviews back for a while where we read out reviews and nasty hate comments about ourselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well this is aimed at the narcissistic. Narcissistic I should say whanka beside it?
Speaker 2: Apparently I'd better be spoken about.
Speaker 1: Not at all?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 3: Matthew sends it through to my email and I'm like, yeah, guess what, mate, I don't really want it anyway, Hey, John's I know you cannot help being a narcissistic one.
Speaker 1: Cute.
Speaker 3: However, a good beginning might be to stop wearing short sleeved shirts you do wear and looking at yourself in the monitor. What are you doing?
Speaker 4: You have been doing that lately, like you're interviewing. Like I saw when you had Brandon on the Sunday Night Show, you sort of looked at them, but then the camera, if there's a shot of you and your guest in it, you'll look away and look at the monitor and you'll be looking at yourself from.
Speaker 1: A destroyer and camera.
Speaker 3: Do you have to look at that because you're running the show and you're the host of the show.
Speaker 4: Is there a reason there's no teleprompter there?
Speaker 1: Right? You're really just it's all it's all trapped in the steel case.
Speaker 4: Would you call yourself a human teleprompter?
Speaker 1: Like you're it's all up there you can get I think I am.
Speaker 4: You're the only TV host reckon and who doesn't read off a teleprompter.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know any others that I'm not sure And I'll let you know what I got that off. I actually got that off Fatty. Over the years, I've had so many TV executives try to say, now we're going to put something in the d Q. So no, no, no one. Thing I learned off the fat is just that you've got to do it your own way and relax. And when you do audo a Q. For any budding TV presenters out there, when you do audo Q, what happens is the auto Q when you read, is a different party your brain than have a natural conversation. So it takes it takes a very very special talent, which unfortunately I have forgot to actually read and go blah blah blah blah blah and then turn it out now now Trish, and then go back to it.
Speaker 2: But also, elveryone doesn't let your personality sing. Good call doesn't let it sing?
Speaker 1: So what else you have to say?
Speaker 3: And that's what I mean. You can see the boys think you're a dicked, which one cheers, and he signs it with his name, which I quickly responded, as amazing as you sound, this is not the platform for your misdirected feedback, so maybe try shoving it up your ar all the best, Trish.
Speaker 4: That's good, Trisha didn't need that from him.
Speaker 1: It's not personal.
Speaker 4: Trisha's horrible with with hate.
Speaker 3: No, I'm very good with hate.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no. What I mean is your horrible insentive?
Speaker 4: Yeah, very sensitive when it comes to like there's been a couple of times when people have hammered.
Speaker 1: I don't know me or Jack.
Speaker 2: I remember who was getting hammered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably me, but she started replying the comments and don't be an idiot. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 4: You feed it, you don't get it.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I just want to slap I really do. But this is boso slash STRONGO. Hey, he's sent it from his email, So I've got his email. He's LinkedIn.
Speaker 4: What are you going to do to him?
Speaker 1: What you wearing?
Speaker 2: What are you push?
Speaker 1: What are you going to do?
Speaker 4: Nothing?
Speaker 3: Think she's colleating information, hasn't really protected himself.
Speaker 1: You've made a bad enemy. Brother. Look, here's the thing. Opinions like ourselves. Everyone has. Everyone's got one. Some people unfortunately are the so so I don't know what he's got against my arms? But tee, what is it? Just quickly?
Speaker 2: Is it hot? In?
Speaker 4: He?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I feel like this is what you get? What are you wearing.
Speaker 2: On?
Speaker 3: We're going to see?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Dad has got some Dad's got.
Speaker 1: A muscle shirt.
Speaker 3: Every time he wears that, he wears the gym.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, let's supposed now's the time to reveal to everyone Dad he's been he's been working out hard lately, and he's really in love with his body at the moment, like really in love with.
Speaker 1: Just search and destroy.
Speaker 2: You have a look at him.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing about it. When you've got arms like this, it's a crime to cover them in cotton. You just got to make they just burst out of it. Anyway, right, gardon question everyone, Jack Johnson, if you were a character in a Steven Spielberg film, what a director?
Speaker 2: He is pretty good?
Speaker 1: Who would you billion?
Speaker 2: Why I couldn't split my two of my favorite characters. One was Ian Malcolm, who's Jeff Goldblum in the Jurassic Park. I love Jeff go and too it was a little man from upstairs et you want to bet? Yeah, the extraterrestrial. He's a little freak I think. And I'm gonna be a freaking mood today as today I got my un loaded with segments at the back end of this podcast. I feel like a little bit of a freaky man today.
Speaker 1: Look forward to it.
Speaker 2: And the freaking man feels like he's hanging out a little freaky extra test.
Speaker 1: Okay and.
Speaker 4: Jack, Okay, send all your hate emails to Jack. This week I had a little talk about little freaky man. I had the Gremlin out of Gremlins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Steven Spielberg.
Speaker 4: I didn't even realize he directed Gremlins, Are you sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: He did Goonies, Yeah, but I had the Gremlins. Can't feed him after midnight? Cute little fuzzy little creature. Quite you until you feed him after midnight and they turned into little Sess Gremlins, which is my nickname for a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's amazing when he goes through the filmography of Steven Spielberg, some of the films that how vast they're like the movies from like Chindler's List to Jaws, to Goonies to Hook and things like. That's what a body of work was. I'm trying to say, what a.
Speaker 2: Body you put a body writer, director, producer, father, lover brother. I'm pretty sure he might have been like an executive or like one of the producers that helped, because I know there's like a little gang of them where it's like George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and a few others where they've all sort of worked with each other. So I think he was like a producer on well, he did Indiana Jones, Spilberg did he did, and then George Lucas I think was a producer on that. Then I think Spilberg might have done some producing work on the original Star Wars. Okay, so there's a little there's a little gang of him up there.
Speaker 3: It was just a movie about his love that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, recently, very good just shows you mate. No one, no one is immune to heart heartache, growing up and heartbreak. I don't know and hook oh did you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Because she was described as sportable, and I thought that would be about me and and I'd like to work with Robin Williams's starting that I would have liked to Well.
Speaker 1: You missed out there. I've actually gone for myself. Originally I wrote Jab of the Hut. Then I realized it was a George Lucas movie. So I've gone doc from Back to the Future Christopher Lloyd because impulsive, full of great ideas, which very few work. I've actually got one. Coop. I had you was Jack. I had you as Tom Hanks's character in Catch Me, If you Can, Detective Cooper. I had you as Leonardo DiCaprio's character in Catch Me If you Can, the ruthless comment, slippery conman whom I and Trish. I had you as Jab of the Hut. Then I thought to myself, I said, George Lucas, you know what the hell jab of the Hut and stripe.
Speaker 4: Sorry, true, I take offense to that because your your wife and my mom.
Speaker 2: She's a beautiful woman.
Speaker 4: As much as sometimes we pull her up for a poor storytelling or a lack of comedic time we were talking at the top of everyone, or as she you know, burns all the cooking, or how she sometimes can just annoy.
Speaker 1: Everyone, timing when to bring something else.
Speaker 4: Correct, dress sends or other. I could go on and on, but she is a beautiful time. She's a wonderful woman, and we love her much. And I don't like you putting her down like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, I take it all back.
Speaker 2: If anyone's jubbing the hard here core whereas the guy's showing way too much skin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, thank you boy, No problem, buddy you.
Speaker 3: I wasn't referring to you.
Speaker 1: Guys. We did our origin predictions last week. How do we go trush you?
Speaker 3: I think I got the scoreline correct, except in.
Speaker 1: Reverse the other way around reverse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I missed out just I had them by fourteen. They're not winning by about six twelve twelve twelve.
Speaker 1: I did the same. I went for New Southwest fourteen and they missed that kick at the end, damn it. I had a little wager on as well.
Speaker 4: I think I had them by two. We're all right, we all picking you. So I think you pick coins on.
Speaker 1: You were the first away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was going for Harry. Harry, I support, well, you put the mic on him.
Speaker 2: And disappeared.
Speaker 4: You've been going at Harry in the last couple.
Speaker 1: Of weeks, and I keep pulling up Harry is my man. No, he's not not anymore. He's sent. He's off.
Speaker 4: People said, you'll never do.
Speaker 1: Your show over again. Better arms than you, brother, That's I'd find that extremely hard to believe. I made to write him a nasty email, but no, no, I send email. I sent Harry because I saw people saying, oh, you know, Harry should have been I said, and you know, I let myself. I went over the divide. I said, Harry, don't worry a better mate, It's only game one, and he said he replied, thanks begam. I was expecting sort of longest, something like, oh mate, that really means a lot from you. And you know that's a great judge on the trader.
Speaker 2: You're a trader.
Speaker 1: No, I'm just a humanist.
Speaker 4: You're a human our weeks.
Speaker 1: Can we go to some personal stories? Because it was.
Speaker 3: What's stuff into the what's the stuff? I was driving along yesterday and I saw a big image of Ben Fordham and his radio show, come up beside me, What the hell's on his teeth? Someone had added their own personal touches to it.
Speaker 1: I saw that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you say to they're all red? Like is it a beetlenut?
Speaker 1: Is it puppy? Yeah?
Speaker 3: It made it look like he had been They.
Speaker 1: Did it with Chris Barth the other day. I saw one of the bathy and someone had give her in a black tooth, so.
Speaker 4: They just had like a red texture and sort of Yeah.
Speaker 1: Having said all that, he does like his.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what, if you're not used to having been on it, Jesus, it can take you out out of there a few times.
Speaker 3: You say that you're hopping on a plane once and the pilot is You looked at the pilot and his teeth were all red with the beetlenut, and you're like, get on this plane.
Speaker 1: That was an unbelievable trip. I still think about that sometimes we're going into the highlands of that was once in a lifetime. I appreciate it a lot then, but even more Okay, I who okay, personal stories, that's what we're doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, sure for the jump in, but you're losing your way as since taking the shirt off. It was our mate Brandon Smith's birthday over the weekend, took him out to a nice dinner. Look, this is fine. What's happened. What's unfolded this week has been a public smear campaign on myself. He was on James Graham podcast The Buy Around, managed to hammer me saying that he's never seen my wallet before out of me on your social media, saying he didn't know what my wallet looked like. It was a rare vision.
Speaker 1: Then he also rang the.
Speaker 4: Radio station and assisted in a campaign which saw the likes of Paul Gallon, Kaylen Pong are also ringing in saying that they've never seen my wallet.
Speaker 1: It's calling me a tight ass.
Speaker 2: That's surprised the shit out of me. Why the hell, what the hell does Gale know about you?
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, Gal, this.
Speaker 2: Is the thing.
Speaker 3: Those people don't see someone's wallet, especially in these days when they've got them.
Speaker 1: Takes a tight us and know are tight us?
Speaker 4: Yeah, apparently Gala's renowned as a tight ars. And then Dad's rang through making out complete lies about me as well. And did you say he said that I stole his credit card, which look, I wasn't going to add him on the on the thing because I get radio's radio and Fair played on. They ambushed me with a brilliant stitch up. So I just let the tsunami roll over me. But I was really hurt, particularly by Brandon, who's someone who I have had his back through thick and thinner.
Speaker 1: Him to turn on me like that.
Speaker 3: You shouted his birthday and his partner but everyone dinner.
Speaker 2: I know, I was surprised.
Speaker 4: I know, yeah, I bet you were.
Speaker 1: I bet you were. I was surprised.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't mind shaming him on this as well. You went to dinner, Yeah, on Saturday night and he was wearing this black jumper with like this white riding on it, and he slept here and he slept in that because he stayed the night. You want to go all the way back to these and so that was next morning he was wearing that. That night, he was wearing it on Dad's show. And then yesterday which was Tuesday, had James Graham. He was wearing the same jumper.
Speaker 3: And I love that jumper. Why did you give that to him?
Speaker 1: Because it was originally his?
Speaker 3: Why did you give it back to him?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 4: So I took that jumper off him about six months ago. And then the day of his birthday where we're going to go to dinner, he messaged me saying, you know, I'd be an awesome birthday present if he gave me my Junker. But and then I gave him back and showered him dinner. But then the boat war its, So he's like Jack.
Speaker 1: He's like Jack.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So this outfit you see Jack wearing right now, people that can't see it's a gray hoodie with a puffer vest, gray hoodie. Jack has worn a gray hoodie with a puffer vest for like the last two weeks straight. Refuses to wash it. Brandon's the exact same.
Speaker 1: He gets it.
Speaker 4: He gets an outfit in his mind and then he just wears it relentlessly.
Speaker 3: Until it takes a lot less thought, doesn't it? As long as it's clean and not smelly.
Speaker 1: That's uniforms.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't sit there in my room before a podcast and sit there and kick trying clothes on. What will make me look so good? I just do it.
Speaker 4: You know I don't either look at me, I'm sitting here. I look like Lumberjack.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: He didn't put much thought in I just put whatever's on.
Speaker 4: But I don't wear what I was wearing the last three days straight. You've formed that a couple.
Speaker 3: Of days because I love it and it feels like it is. It feels like wearing a cloud.
Speaker 2: It's cool top.
Speaker 1: I love cloud.
Speaker 3: That's my favorite bit of winter.
Speaker 1: I love when Cooper just said, you know, dressed like a lumberjack. As if Cooper Cooper doesn't do much exercise these days. He said to me, can run and what's on my face?
Speaker 2: Said?
Speaker 1: Sweat? That's that's it is true.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 4: I do exercise. I actually went and played were not played. I went and trained with the local team, the Harbor Devil's the other day.
Speaker 1: That was that was it was over a week ago, but I still thought. It feels like it was only yesterday. What was the reaction when they when they turned up Jacklin.
Speaker 2: They said, oh, right, well where they find this bloke off the street?
Speaker 1: They were, I'll tell you right now.
Speaker 4: They got that they won't win the calm.
Speaker 1: They're bloody dreadful.
Speaker 4: A little I was, I was like, the are these kids?
Speaker 2: So we did like a what a waste of facilities? Some kids are well, they're doing the opposed against the eighteens, so that they are Opens Bronze team, and they opposedgainst the eight and I hopped in with the eighteens and Cooper hopped in with them. The Opens boys trip played in the halves. Fair to say, Cooper started getting a little bit frustrated. I could see him starting to get the ships. And then when we hopped in the car, he just said, let's just get home, Let's just get I got the shit.
Speaker 4: With what with some of the boys competitives the same thing I did. My competitive juices come back and it's like they didn't know. And I get it, like the boys that they're not taken footy that seriously. But it was hard for me not to take it serious once I started to get back out there and they just I mean, the passes weren't hit in the chest. There was all sorts of dramas, lack of communication. It was just frustrating. And when I got back in the car, I was thirty eight.
Speaker 1: I was so filthy. Were filthy either Tiger maintain doesn't burn out.
Speaker 3: But can I just say a quick little story about how sweet Cooper can be?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Cooper has an eighteen year old went down to Melbourne the first time I went to visit him. He was coming back from New Zealand and like the first lot of paychecks it would have been, and he bought me perfume. That is that this whole story that was really sweet.
Speaker 4: Send it to the Daily Mail with.
Speaker 3: His first little paycheck. It was wor to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it was like, because I know.
Speaker 3: How much he loves his money, I love it.
Speaker 4: But to be to be fair, I am quite generous with my money still.
Speaker 2: Although I was keen to see the Daily Mail jump on the back of that segment earlier in the week with Carl and Jackie O the Pete, Peter's files, Peter's files and about your stinginess, but they didn't jump on the back.
Speaker 1: I think I'm surprised. I think they.
Speaker 4: Realized it was a joke, right, because I think they realized a lot of it was an ambush and.
Speaker 1: A lot of it were.
Speaker 4: They didn't A lot of the stories didn't really align, particularly when it come on to Gal, who think GALIVERI met probably a handful of times and Gal started handing having me going I've never.
Speaker 2: Seen his wallet.
Speaker 1: I was going, what is going on?
Speaker 4: Apparently Pete said for that segment. They if they didn't see it, they were they were ringing just basically anyone in the NRL or asking if Cooper was a tight ass. They also rang Ray Warren apparently rab they rang Rabs and apparently Rapped was like, oh, I don't want to get him. I don't think he understood what they were sort of doing you and Rabs was like, oh, I don't want to get involved in this kind of thing, you know, because then Pete come up to me and he goes, oh, does Rabs in your family not get along or something? I said no, and he goes, oh.
Speaker 1: He was really.
Speaker 4: Adamant, like not wanting to be involved in the segment, and like he thought it was like something happened.
Speaker 1: He's very sensitive about not trying to offend people. Like for him what we see as a joke, probably if he had a couple of generations before that would take it like you had been called a tight ass. You're not shouting at the back.
Speaker 2: It's a serious slur.
Speaker 1: Oh really yeah, serious? He be like, I can tell you what.
Speaker 2: That would have been brilliant if they got rapped.
Speaker 1: I don't know where Ray Warren goes.
Speaker 2: Oh, Cooper's biggest tieder.
Speaker 1: Well, we went to the chots one night and I said, yeah, I really like the look of this one pale face audios and he backed it. Bloody hell. I looked down. He snipped me for a five. He never give it back.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: We need to get Raps. Should should get him.
Speaker 2: On the potty.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think that's a great idea and letting people know. Of course, the day of the game, the big coming up on Monday is a mega game, which is going to be the Bulldogs up against Paramatta, and we're going to have Jacob Preston leading into their game on the Monday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so unreal good unreal episode Monday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's see if.
Speaker 2: He's good talent.
Speaker 1: He is good talent. Oh, we don't know.
Speaker 4: We haven't seen in front of him what you just.
Speaker 2: Did, Rabs and didn't you And he is good talent.
Speaker 1: He is good talent.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you don't know if someone's good talent till you get him behind the mic and just let him go.
Speaker 1: Like Treus, she's good talent. Yeah she is, look at it, she's lost. She's wearing a cloud.
Speaker 4: I did listen to your podcast. It was very good as well.
Speaker 1: Spoke very well, the old suck job going on now A right, come on then, son, let's get on with it because I just say, while we're on rugby league players and I know these blakes are copping little stick at the moment, and rightfully so because it's not winning football games. But we saw the Broncot We went and had lunch as a family with some friends on the Friday in it manly and we run into the Brison Broncos boys. Now a tear what they are A delightful, well mented bunch of lads. Unfortunate that doesn't transfer into wins, but hopefully it will soon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they are good bunch of boys.
Speaker 1: It's good to see.
Speaker 4: We saw one of Jack Sex teammates, Adam Reynolds Rendigity, one of my ex teammates, William Walters, Billy's son of Kevy, as he likes to tell everyone, terrific group. They've got a good group there.
Speaker 1: He's a tea, he's a champion like and he's so articulate and thoughtful his painhass, he's good man, he's a good man. Cornered him and I said, mate, Novocastrian. He's like yeah, yeah, because you know he's a wood rebook bloo Bill don't realize that he's from the coal fields and Newcastle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so now one the Newcastle let sleep away.
Speaker 1: Uh, well they had the opportunity. I think Broncos jumped on him early.
Speaker 4: Well, it's hard for new Castle to keep a lot of there because they've got such a big it's too much to pick from sometimes and it's like how do you how do you sometimes having a smaller group and like focusing on what you've got as opposed to trying to manage this huge thing that's very easy to proach from them.
Speaker 1: I said pain and I said mate me, and you got something to comment make When Avocastrians people sometimes think, oh, you don't live there anymore, you form an Avocastrians. But if you're born in that area, you're always an avocation in a form you.
Speaker 4: Know, you can't say that anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're not allowed to say it.
Speaker 3: What do you mean?
Speaker 4: Or like somebody said on the radio there and it was getting beat like you're not allowed to say it.
Speaker 2: Just in case.
Speaker 4: I think I think it's seemed like a yeah, distributory I suppose against now the.
Speaker 1: Term I think is Inuit.
Speaker 3: That's right in it I double land.
Speaker 1: New It t Inuits with the original occupiers of Japan.
Speaker 4: Really, that's right. Well, will fact check that.
Speaker 1: The Japanese, the Japanese people are a conglominate between between all the other countries in Asia. Really, really, you are just full of facts.
Speaker 3: And on these points. But some of the facts that you're not getting what are you raising your hand?
Speaker 2: You're doing?
Speaker 3: Put me up?
Speaker 2: They're intentional.
Speaker 3: Okay, So last week when we were talking about Birmingham, Matt likes to share his little tidbits and said, you know, oh, led Zeppelin, deaf Lefford from Birmingham.
Speaker 1: Not deaf Leppard, never Iron Maid.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, iron Maiden they're not led Zeppelin, London, def lepperd Sheffield and Iron Maiden also London. You know. But the thing is, Matt, you missed total opportunity because there were heaps and heaps or bands that came from Birmingham. You could have mentioned Black Sabbath, dread Ran, you be.
Speaker 4: Forty, you be forty from Birmingham.
Speaker 1: What do I always think they were?
Speaker 4: Like Jamaican they did that reggae, they called it blue Eyed Soul.
Speaker 3: Yes, so sometimes less he's more make it.
Speaker 1: Well, the lead to a vlo Jeff Lynn. He's Liverpoolian, so the band might be from Birmingham. But pick you up on one.
Speaker 2: Check that as well.
Speaker 1: What have we got now, film Vinyl people and I have got something very very special today. The film that what we're going to focus on is the career of Nicholas Coppola, otherwise known as Nicholas Cage.
Speaker 3: Now he us a Coppola though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, correct, yes it is. And I'm bringing this up because he is at the moment in the midst of making a movie. People who are sports fans all have played Madden the game he's actually going to play in the midst of making a movie on John Madden's life. Christian Bale, I.
Speaker 2: Think it might be either commentary partner or whatever he is, because I'm not too familiar with the NFL commentary team, but we.
Speaker 1: Will Jack talking about Navocastrians. The guy who started Fox Sports America or that took him there to really up the andy on the NFL and the baseball was David Hill, who was an overcasting from Newcastle from Mayfield, and we're asking him once about the great John Madden, and he said John Madden was terrified to fly. So they bought him a state of the art, the most expensive winter baga and a driver and he's and they used to drive, and he had a driver and they fitted out with screens and edits and everything within the winter baga, and he would drive all around America during the football season.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 4: So jeez, I was just about to say John Madden is basically the American Rabs, and then you see how much more they have in common because.
Speaker 1: Rabs is terrified, terrif flying.
Speaker 4: What is going on there?
Speaker 1: The other one was arsen Vega, the coach of Arsenal like rarely flew the other side of Europe. He'd want to drive.
Speaker 4: As a coach, Yeah, coach will commentator where you've got to be at the games every everybody week. And in America he would have done some ridiculous case right my work, because you could be commentating one game on the East coast straight to the.
Speaker 1: West right the West coast and that's what he would sleep in there and just do all its cuts for his commentary within the winter.
Speaker 2: Back how many games a week would RABS do.
Speaker 1: Usually cover Back in the day jack he used to do because it used to be the Friday game and the Sunday game, so he'd do Friday Sunday and then later on I think they would they sort of just put him on the really big games. Yeah, just when he called a game just sounded.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what was my thing. I was like over the weekend. If you had to do it too, like go one part of the country to the other or whatever, it would be geez, that'd be hard to quickly travel.
Speaker 1: To Martin Ifaire, who interviewed him, he said one of the reasons why he wanted to come and play in the NRL was because he wanted to be called by Graham Hughes and Rex Moss. And it was the same Like I remember the first time playing in a TV game and watching and having Ray Warren call your name.
Speaker 4: It was like surreal, Oh well you see now, like even even kids that wouldn't have even listened to Ray Warren call a game. When you in personal commentator in Australia, typically you do the RABS voice. Yeah right, that's typically what you're going to do. I would have rich, I would love to. I would love to play Rabs in the movie Ray Warren movie when they do it. Just putting that out there in case anyone wants to.
Speaker 3: Or even Ray Warren the musical, Yeah, I could do that.
Speaker 1: Matthew to Andrew John's the Matthew variety. Is that very clever? You know what? I another?
Speaker 4: Sorry, a little tip for comment young commentators coming out there. I listened to a podcast Raps did a long time.
Speaker 1: Ago, and he was talking about.
Speaker 4: How he would closer to the closer the team would get to the try line, he would repeat the name more so it'd be like, you know, out in the if they're attacking out their own end, it'd be like, you know, Matthew goes in, but if you're attacking the try line in order to push the like intensity out and excitement to be like John's John's John'sta Taho, David.
Speaker 2: That's a very race coally type of thing, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Because how he taught himself he was originally race caller Jack. When he was a young kid, he'd have a handful of marbles with all different colors, and he would write down the colors of the marbles and he'd roll them. He'd roll them down his driveway and he would commentate on the marbles.
Speaker 4: A blue, blue, leading red red from the backfield by.
Speaker 2: The last commentary would have heard anything like that would have been Ray Hadley. He did a game two or three years back. I think he might have done a bit of a guest appearance. He did one game and on the coverage, on the TV coverage, and he was like that he did it, like he did it, like it made me think, Oh, it's very race.
Speaker 1: Course, yes, like yeah, well, back in the day the commentators, a lot of the commentators were race callers as well.
Speaker 2: For people like watching the game for the first time, they've got to realize too, like that when a team's attacking the line in terms of like if you're a fan of the defense, it's a very high stakes part of the game, like if you know, he let a try and so when commentators do that, I actually don't mind that.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: I like it, like when they try and perceive it like you know, it could just be one pass to the other down close to the tryline, but the stakes are high. You got to feel it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do feel it, my word, and you pick up the excitement. If you listen to a commentator who is flat like oh yeah, it actually takes away from the atmosphere and the excitement of the game.
Speaker 2: With the European commentators. You know how they go.
Speaker 1: They go on Martin Tyler and yeah, do you like that? Trish? I heard you have. I was just watching you. Look around the room.
Speaker 2: We've lost Trish.
Speaker 4: Ladies and gentlemen, we have lost Trish.
Speaker 1: So he was born. He was born in Long Long Beach, California. Nicholas Nicholas Coppola changed his name to Nicholas Cage, cousin of Sofia Coppola, who of course made Lost in translation. His acting style has been described he invented an acting style. Well, he was labeled. His acting style is nouveau shamanic, which was an impulsive build into crazy.
Speaker 2: That is absolutely Christian Keys, Christian Bale. He's got nimerous kids.
Speaker 1: One of his sons Western If you're in he plays in a death metal band which has a residency at the moment Whiskey a Go Go. Trish knows that place you thrown out of there.
Speaker 3: He just would let me back in.
Speaker 1: And the first movie was Fast Time as at Ridgement Ridgemont High, which he did with Sean Penn and the guy who made Happy Gilmore almost almost famous. What was his name? That the writer for Rolling Stone Magazine Iconic. Yeah, that doesn't matter. Let's move it. Do we love Nicholas Cage.
Speaker 4: I can, I be honest. I like him as a person, like he seems like a good blake. But when you said you were doing Nicholas Case, I sort of had to look through a lot of his movies.
Speaker 1: Not a lot of good stuff. Oh you must be joking.
Speaker 3: A lot of the oldest stuff.
Speaker 1: I think he is in some of those movies all times.
Speaker 4: I think any movie passed like two thousand and two when he started to go into like ghost Rider and that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, the one.
Speaker 3: Recently was The Unbearable Way of Massive Talent. I liked that. That's my number one actually seen it.
Speaker 4: So maybe maybe I haven't given that it was.
Speaker 3: Him playing himself.
Speaker 2: He's making I don't know if he's made a comeback, that's a huge, well massive cool, I'll say, I reckon. There's been a few comeback to Nicholas. But I do love him. I love his style. I love it when he goes crazy.
Speaker 3: He does crazy, Well.
Speaker 1: What's the one where he goes the bees?
Speaker 4: Many of his movies we got aloud this plane, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Give us your goals from Bronze to gold.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I've only seen a bit of it leaving Las Vegas at number number two conn Air, mainly because of the song Trisha would sing, how do I live anyway?
Speaker 2: He wears a single copper he does.
Speaker 3: It is just throw out of the slammer. And I'm giving just because I saw it most recently, the goal to the Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, because I just thought it was a very interesting concept playing himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very good. Me my Bron's the Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent Pedro Pascal. I thought that was hilarious. And if you're a Nicholas cage fan, highly recommended My Silver is the Rock with Sean Gonnery.
Speaker 1: Great, very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the great movies.
Speaker 4: Do you need to watch something? Is that?
Speaker 3: The one about the San Francisco Yeah, Alcatraz?
Speaker 1: Alcatraz.
Speaker 2: It's very good. May give that a go. And then my favorite, and I recommend people to watch this. It is not a Nicholas Cagey style movie. It is, but it isn't. He plays very good. Is Lord of War two thousand and five? Plays like this Arms Dealer. It is a great flick. You have seen it before.
Speaker 4: Highly and I have seen that is brilliant. Didn't even put it on my freaking list, Bronze.
Speaker 1: This is going to sound stupid.
Speaker 4: The Sorcerer's Apprentice, You're right.
Speaker 2: He has the voice of that.
Speaker 4: That's the guy who's like he's always in like Seth Rogan Jona Hill movies.
Speaker 1: He's like the nerd.
Speaker 4: He goes like, come on, Seth, we need to go.
Speaker 2: You know who he is is that he plays the cartoon of the How to Train the Dragon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he's yes, he does to Train the Dragon, So that real whiny voice. I like him though. Anyway, he's like a he's an expert wizard who's teaching this young sorcerer anyway, So ship yeah, Silver National Treasure only because it was one I'd seen me and Jack's childhood. A lot of people our age would have seen it.
Speaker 2: That's he's highly his highest rated on.
Speaker 3: What is it about?
Speaker 4: It's like it's kind of like think like Indiana Jones, but like more modern and less good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Perfect for kids. They've got a map they're trying to find treasure.
Speaker 4: Gold conn Air. I'm a big fan of Connair.
Speaker 1: I do like he's very good.
Speaker 3: I did like that too.
Speaker 1: I've gone Bronze Face Off with John travolda great movie.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a bad one.
Speaker 2: He plays Roy. It's even very good. Nobody plays the villain in that. He played a very good villain. He's actually over the top, really as you expected Nicolas Cage, but he's very h.
Speaker 1: Connie Silver fantastic Gold is Lord of War, which is a true true story. It's insane. It was on. It's based on the life of Victor Boot who was a guy who when the Berlin Wall came down and communism nded went around and was taking all stuff off the Russian army and then selm to were African and Third World countries. It's a phenoms incredible, it's a great movie. Okay, who's up next? What have we got you?
Speaker 2: Recipe of the week?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, come back, old mate.
Speaker 2: Welcome bait, old buddy. Today I'm doing with hit winter and in these in the New South Wales state, things are getting a bit cold in Queensland. I'm sure you're nice and toasty still, but I've gone with a The other night I made potato and bacon soup. How was it good? Had it yesterday? For had it yesterday for lunch as well leftover. So what we're going to do is, guys, we're going to cook some bacon. You know all these You remember how I went with like teaspoons and milligrad. Screw it, do it yourself. Figure it out. Cook some bacon until crispy on a pan, remove and set it aside. So I take some onions and celery in the bacon fat. Let it, you know, add some garlic and thick and cream at the same time and stir very well. Die some potatoes and mix through its thoroughly. Throw it in and now chuck in three cups of chicken broth in stop chicken stock ice, use stock cubes. Chucked it in and made three cups of it, and then bring it to a boil and let it simmer. Obviously, chuck the bacon in now at this point and let it simmer the potatoes for about but I said twenty five minutes. Let it cook, and let the potatoes cook nice and fine. Add some salt and pepper at your discretion, and then keep stealing it around boom as yet to the end. If the potatoes don't mash enough, just give them a little bit of a something help along, let it, let it thicken up the soup or the broth at that stage, but then it turns into a soup, and then serve with some bread.
Speaker 3: It is delous, Chris, crunchy bread with lots of jaco can. I ask, did you leave the skin on the potatoes?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 3: I peel, Yeah, I did, because I've had one before with the skin on, and it's actually quite nice to get that through the cua.
Speaker 1: You've got to rip the skin off, you go. You got a sizzler mate with the potato were they were left his kin?
Speaker 3: Soup weather it is and it's economical to you.
Speaker 1: Said you washed? You ate it the next day? A question? What food do you think is the best? Second and third day? Pizza is good pizzas I don't. I don't like pizza. I just found it heat it up too sloppy.
Speaker 2: You know what I had the other day and it was surprisingly good. Cooper. I picked Cooper and Jam up a night sometime a couple of weeks back, and we're coming back and they picked up apple pies and we got here and neither of them ate them, so they were put in the fridge. You know that, Matt McDonald's used to I sweet, And the next day I saw them in there the next night, like the twenty four hours later, and I went, oh, they went Jack's. I didn't even heat them up, outstanding the question.
Speaker 1: There's a bit of an urban miscounting around that it was actually rubab.
Speaker 3: The urban myth was that they were chokoso because Jaco apparently and in other apple pipe things too, because it was a cheaper version and it takes on the flame cold cold.
Speaker 4: The next day cold tie is very good too. I don't even need to heat it up. You just have tie the next day.
Speaker 1: A Mongolian lamb the next day. Chinese food the next day is straw.
Speaker 4: It's something about when you letting that msg just simmer overnight under duress and the cold.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: You know what reminds do you guys remember that old commercial Jack just talking about chicken broth thro one, Chicken tonight, Chicken tonight.
Speaker 3: I like chicken tonight, Yeah, that one.
Speaker 4: And then the kid goes, Mum, can I have chicken tonight tomorrow? You remember that tonight?
Speaker 1: That? Yeah, that's what I just said.
Speaker 3: You said tomorrow. You didn't say tomorrow night, I have chicken tonight tomorrow.
Speaker 1: N I don't watch when the ads are not going urinate or go.
Speaker 2: I always s when I think of that for some reason. Remember, there was like this, there was like the Italian sauces, you know, like the creams for lasagna and stuff like that. And then there's the two puppets. There's the two puppets that would like sit there and they're like, honestly, like the most is.
Speaker 1: That the one you get the Yeah, it was like prob it.
Speaker 2: Was just so hardcore Italian and.
Speaker 1: Yeah Domio.
Speaker 3: Giving everyone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there is something so good about an old jingle on an ad like Chicken tonight that's stuck with me for years, like that stuck with me for ages.
Speaker 1: And tong. Yeah I love that. I love the old guy that.
Speaker 4: Walks through and goes go hungry, thirsty, dead.
Speaker 1: Susted or Canton was making can tong doesn't take long for the mood together around.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yes, yes, yes, I do remember that. Yeah, I'm just giving you some support and nobody was talking about you guys.
Speaker 1: Remember I was in an l c M commercial as a kid.
Speaker 3: Did we've actually see it on the screen?
Speaker 4: It did, but I was in the background of the LC commercial you remember I was at the Fizzy Bubbler. I was set at a school and I would have been like fifteen maybe, Oh god, no, Cooper was younger, twelve or like eleven. And I walked in and I was an extra in the background, the main kid like he didn't have the talent that I did. Clearly they had talent. What's he doing these dayshit talent? He's so he's hosting the morning show. That was Larry MdeR. But I was in the background and they my outfit, my costume, as we say in the industry, I was like a sort of a bucket hat with one of those long strings, and I'm down. My first take, I was down and like I was beating the camera, just me and me in the back. I'm down drinking out of the bubbler and I'm going They're like, say, they're about three seconds and then run off, like you're gonna go play soccer on the oval. Oh and sweet, I can do that. I'm down there and I'm going one, two, three, and I hit my time and I go to run off the bottom of my bucket hat gets caught on the bubbler and I go bus and it pulls me back nearly broke my neck and I've fallen on the ground.
Speaker 2: Is ready to go?
Speaker 4: Fucking Todd.
Speaker 1: We got some dead shoot in the background ourselves an asshole.
Speaker 4: I remember I got paid one hundred.
Speaker 1: Bucks for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was stage mom sitting out in.
Speaker 4: Going come on ty bright, punchy Cooper did they did not? She was like, it's only one of those dance moms.
Speaker 1: At the end of it, you did Tom Hardy and worry what I said? You win me to wined with bucks.
Speaker 4: But I never actually I stopped doing commercials after that. May remember I didn't.
Speaker 2: I think I was embarrassed after that.
Speaker 3: A few auditions and I think you didn't like the rejection.
Speaker 2: He doesn't hate reject I really.
Speaker 3: Hated it when they made you go all the way out to Fox Studios or somewhere like that traffic.
Speaker 4: Look at me for an audition. Look at me now.
Speaker 1: He doesn't get out of bed for anything more than a fifty pineapples.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, now we have our quiz today. I'm hosting. I've done one for a while. What okay, Cooper? I want you to keep score for me, if that's possible. Playing Today's quiz is on Nicholas Cage. Yes, it's quite good for our listeners too, because I think there's been a lot of hints at the answers here for them so they can sort of figure it out. Call yourself by your name and here we go. Are you ready? What is Nicholas Cage's real last name?
Speaker 1: Matt Matthew, Nicholas Coppola.
Speaker 2: Well done, Matthew. One point, by the way his family, Okay. Second question, what is what treasure? Is Nicholas Cage hunting in national treasure? Yes, and he says that if you don't get it, is it gold?
Speaker 1: No over create the golden fleece.
Speaker 2: No true duels. It was the declaration of independence.
Speaker 1: To hunt who kissed? Well, maybe people that are trying to be free from oppression, emancipationient.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's going to make a difference. I think we need more than that.
Speaker 2: Thanks, it goes no your history, Know your American history? Which nineteen ninety seven action film features Cage and Vault swapping face Matthew face off, Yes, ding two points Matthew mil to other very.
Speaker 1: Fast, fast and most anticipation. That's how you got pregnant.
Speaker 2: Perspiration number four. What movies does Cage as a stunt motorcyclist who makes a deal with the devil.
Speaker 4: Ghost Rader, Yes, ghost Rader.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The next one is A A B C multiple choice. Here we go. How many movies has Nicholas ca Is done?
Speaker 3: Trisha?
Speaker 2: Yeahs, I'll give it to it because she hasn't got a point yet. A seventy eight B ninety eight see over one hundred, see ding ding ding? Tris John's two to one one, He's over.
Speaker 1: It would have been a few bloods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay. What movie features Cage escaping Alcatraz?
Speaker 1: Cooper?
Speaker 2: The Rocky Lda.
Speaker 1: Well, the French version?
Speaker 3: I can't win.
Speaker 2: Question seven is the final bonus answer? The boys are tied up? No, no, tri I'm sorry, you're out. The boys are tied up? On two? All we need hear? This is the deal breaker? Okay, film heads on?
Speaker 4: It is on?
Speaker 2: What film has Cage? Sorry, restate that, what film has Cage playing a fictional version of himself? Matt Matthew?
Speaker 1: The unbearable weight of being great?
Speaker 2: Wait? Wait, Cooper, you can come in with the steel here. We've been saying it all ever, so I'll give it to you. It's the unbearable weight.
Speaker 4: Of the unbearable weight of massive talent. Yes you are, okay talent.
Speaker 1: Someone fed in the lines lines.
Speaker 3: Good stage mother.
Speaker 4: See there she is the l CM commercial Cooper type pride. Kick those hands up.
Speaker 1: Pride and make them hay, get out of hay. Okay, excellent. See your paper right, people, you got something kind of abrupt.
Speaker 3: No, no, I've got to blow my nose. I'm trying not.
Speaker 2: To, like, well, turn people off. Not true.
Speaker 1: She's got to get off the babe. Okay, have a good week, guys.
Speaker 3: Good Bye,