Speaker 1: It's another episode of the Daily Telegraph meror podcast. Adam Mob's here feeling a little bit off at the moment because rather than prep for this podcast this morning, I felt like an episode of Money News with Ross Greenwood, with you two casual employees talking about your your your thraughts.
Speaker 2: I'll open up with the wardrobe part of this show. Make your joy up you.
Speaker 3: That is a joy up that chirt.
Speaker 2: We have collars, we have standards podcast as we're lucky. I've got I don't know what is? You don't know what gant is? Going to David David Jones and have a look around for gant. Then have a look at the label. It's not a word.
Speaker 3: It's not work appropriate, is it?
Speaker 2: Do something about it.
Speaker 3: You run the podcast, the.
Speaker 1: Podcast, you're just leaning into the casual podcast relaxed feel.
Speaker 3: We want our viewers and listeners to feel relaxed at home with us.
Speaker 1: Well, I got to let Buzzy know what podcast is on, because you're on a couple of different ones this week, mate.
Speaker 2: I was on the Maddie John's Family podcast, which is a lot of fun. The New God Grandfather or I was a hardly figure was away and what he's got a nice house. I seen my message afterwards he said, oh, I said, your wife's a good sort. Your truth just lovely. It was really good fun actually, and Jack's are real smart too.
Speaker 3: It's really nice.
Speaker 2: Well, I've done your father.
Speaker 3: For long time.
Speaker 2: He's actually so well read, watches every freaking movie comes across this mad funny but he's really tell you well.
Speaker 1: I did get a photo from Peter Bdell twelve thirty am Paris time this morning.
Speaker 3: He sent me.
Speaker 1: First photo he sent me was of a rocket ship. I don't know if you guys can see that, but yeah, which I said to him, what the hell is that?
Speaker 2: What are you doing up at that time? Excepting cool?
Speaker 3: It was eight o'clock in the morning here.
Speaker 1: But the next one he sent me was on the set of the Maddie John's show at twelve thirty am Paris time.
Speaker 3: So where there's Maddie getting into him.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you two can't claim all the casual roughts for all the Paris hoping for us. I think he's just part of the Crown bomber. So, speaking of bombing, we're gonna get straight into this. Yeah, okay, parent.
Speaker 2: So you're back on the tools yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is this a safe space? Can I let it all out? Let's go. I don't know what to say.
Speaker 1: I've been a fan of this club for forty odd years and I don't think I've ever seen a season like this one where everything has fallen apart of it. I know you didn't have him in the top eight, Mickey, but I'm sure you didn't have him battling out for the Spoon and not the Spur. But then watching in the space of six weeks Buzzers, they lose the core of the twenty three Stuey Ball winning side, so Blaze Telungey quitting Paramatta for their bitter and most successful rivals Penrith. Ethan Sanders the gun halfbacks on his way to Canberra, so he didn't want to wait in the line behind Brown, Mitchell Moses and Dylan Brown. So he's gone to Camber where he's in line behind Jamal Foggerty and Ethan Strange.
Speaker 3: And obviously you've got.
Speaker 1: Matt Arthur, whose time at Paramatta was probably counting down ever since his dad was sacked. And obviously Hooker is a real problem position for Paramatter at the moment. So ever since Reid Marley left. It's it's very different to when Paramatter couldn't keep like some run into a corre or is Papa read Marney in the face of big, big money offs from rivals.
Speaker 3: But how did they allow.
Speaker 1: Three young guys to be off contract at the same time that they were going to be ready for NRL.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting. You say you've been following them forty years. Well, when Jack Gibson was there, he had a line when he took over Paramatter and he said, when he starts in the front office. And at that time, Dennis Fitzgerald was emerging as the gun new CEO in the game, not that Jack ran the club, not a CEO. So you got to who do we blame? And I've been banging on for a long period of time through their chairman Sew macklduff, through their CEO Jim Sarantinas, So they had a football Mark O'Neill and their directors. I think they've got to start accepting responsibility for what's happened. And certainly can't blame Brad Arthur, you know the coach they got rid of. And I know we're tyed with Jimmy Salmantinas and all that sort of stuff. But there's no foot in house at that joint and his mobs. He said to let them all off at the same time, to put these ridiculous I wasn't aware of this stuff. James has been going on about Mitchell Moss clause.
Speaker 3: It's public the clauses that the options are public on the NRL website. So but they've had lot, They've had players with too many clauses. Cibo has had a clause. Ryan Madison's had a clause. All these guys have had clauses throughout that time and they've got their six and seven with these clauses. Now, you know, you might be able to get away with one player and your roster having a clause, but not this many.
Speaker 2: But we're all saying the roster needs refresh and a reset and a recharge mate. I think as important he's a broom put through man, a complete broom. They have allowed this club to sink. I think it's their lower I know when they salary cap and they you know that they are an all time low there, but they're approaching that now. And you know the difference is it's structured now. So passionate fans who want to make a difference on board level. I think they'll find it's impossible to get in there and force change like the West Tigers fans were able to do last year when Justin Pasco and Lee Hadjapentalis we lose. They're just locked into this safe house.
Speaker 3: And then the governance is an issue. Well yeah, but you couldn't have what was going on before.
Speaker 2: You couldn't.
Speaker 3: Couldn't.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm not saying that the previous lot is Steve Sharp and that crab, but this, this is terrible. I think this is the this is the powerhouse of Western Sydney.
Speaker 3: I wonder if making the Grand Final is the worst thing for this club because it sort of gave them a false economy in terms of the players, the coach and staff, and the management in a way as well. And they backed those players that led them to that Grand Final, which is potentially the right thing to do. But since then it's been a disars and they still have all these guys on big money and so you're blame on the players. Well, they've got they've got to take something. Everyone has to take accountability for this, right, I'm not I'm not singling out the players, but a lot of these players are on big money and not aiming up right, and you've got players and the issue with players is that the ROSSA does need a read, a refresh and a reboot. And then one of the players to lead that was Blaze and hundred percent right speaking of rival clubs yesterday, they're amazed that they had like the matter, like, the matter of the situation is different, right, Okay, Like I'm not going to pin this on the club. Okay, that Ethan Sanders won where you've got a guy that doesn't want to play behind two established halves, So that's a tricky one. Blaze isn't is You can't defend that right now. But the fact that they had those that Ethan and Blaze off contract at a time when they're probably coming into first grade is a blunder. And it's one of a number of blunders that they made with these options and the like. So there's no sugarcoating it on options.
Speaker 2: So they should have had Ethan Sanders locked in knowing that there's three new franchise come in. I think Dylan Brown will be pinched by a new franchise, will become a one point two million dollar players somewhere.
Speaker 1: Well, you have a look at when his options are coming up us next year around ten, he has to advise him the next one, he's twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 3: What's happening around twenty twenty eight?
Speaker 2: Expension sides they're leaderless too. I think they're leaderless.
Speaker 3: I think it's a big job for Jason.
Speaker 2: Ryan is at the moment, you know, just.
Speaker 3: Treating what everyone in that organization is trading water to get to the end of the year. And they hoping that come November one or whenever they resume pre season training and it's going to start a fresh whether or not it works like that or not, that's the hope there.
Speaker 2: But look at their body language meet compared to the Bulldogs. Just look at it.
Speaker 3: Look at it compared to Sourseuse's souse in a similar situation to the way Paramatta were in terms of the coach gone, interim coach, senior players out of form, and look what Ben harm has been able to do and turn that and the response from the senior players, right, the response hasn't been there from Paramatta senior players.
Speaker 1: But you know, you know what upsets me as an Eels fan is that, like you said, me, maybe the twenty two Grand Final sugar coated some things for them, But there was a bit of a gap there between that Grand Final and this talent coming through because, to Paramatter's credit, a decade ago they identified that their pathways were stuffed, they were not developing.
Speaker 3: There was no Tim Manners.
Speaker 1: You know, Tim Madder was the last Paramatta Bred origin player to come through.
Speaker 3: Before that, it was you know, the likes of Hayne and Copine and in Matao, all these guys that were a good cross player. And we've seen guys drip through.
Speaker 1: Will Penssin he's been good, Sean Russell's been okay coming through, but this was the golden generator. This is this was their group that was going to be the first of many to pump through. Because when you're looking across the road and seeing what Penwrith are doing going, well, we've got that north West Sydney area there, why aren't we doing the same thing and these guys are the next big things and we're.
Speaker 3: In crucial positions. Yeah too. That's the other thing.
Speaker 1: I've seen fans come and criticize and say, oh, well, Blaze Tlangy, Missus Tackles, he's not that great, they're eighteen nineteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're talking about keeping these guys. What are they going to be when they're twenty four to twenty five?
Speaker 2: You know, they missed tackles, Cantering missed more tackles than anyone. They're so hungry, so feel that they cover for each other.
Speaker 1: Ye And look, I think these guys were rushed in the first grade before they were ready this year because of the drama at Paramatta with injuries and whatever else. But they were getting experienced, so this year was a right off. But if you had them there going forward, and there's a good bunch of kids coming through now in that group that you have to wonder.
Speaker 3: What's tell you?
Speaker 2: What I find incredible is Jason Ryles didn't take on the Saint Georgia Lawarra job because Saint Georgia Lawarre in a position that paramattis now in. And I know I back the power Junior system. But it's a similar ship Sandwich, isn't it. It's just is Yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Is similar to the one that shame fun again inherited. I'd argue that the roster of Paramatters willbly be better, because yeah, it better. Well, you've got to have a look at the roster. Well you have a look at better than the Dragon's ross. Well you've got Mitch Moses. Sorry, like I'm talking about the squad. We're not talking about the one to seventeen here, We're talking about their roster as a whole.
Speaker 2: Well, Mitchell mooson Ben Hunt can nearly.
Speaker 3: Cancel each other, can not.
Speaker 2: It's not even say your bagging Ben Hunt now compared to Mitchell Moses, aren't you? The blaker said, can Canberra run us?
Speaker 3: Have you seen? I said bottom four?
Speaker 2: And whether I'm going to go back and get the tape?
Speaker 3: I said bottom four?
Speaker 2: I got some pretty powerful tech guys.
Speaker 3: I didn't they going to How many teams have got running last? By the way, does everyone think I've got everyone coming last? It's a good it's a good running gag at the moment. But if Mitch Moses, please, But my point is.
Speaker 1: What's disappointing about this is what I think beIN Hunt is a great player.
Speaker 3: Mitch Moses is far superior to Ben Hunt. Is he fast superior? You disagree? Currently? Yeah, currently we're judging on right now, Mitch Moses on the open, I can get someone. Dragons were playing one point five million dollars.
Speaker 2: What are they playing? Ben Hunt?
Speaker 3: Million dollars at the moment?
Speaker 1: There you go and see what annoys me about this with Paramatta?
Speaker 2: Just who would rather brown or gold? Brown? Thank you?
Speaker 3: Yes, you're you're conceding my point.
Speaker 2: Look, I've forgot what your point is.
Speaker 3: You mate?
Speaker 2: You you obviously aren't getting enough sleep at the two barbs excuse me? And you are all over the shop.
Speaker 1: Mom, move this thing a moment, aren't you.
Speaker 3: I'm not. Let's move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, be respectful.
Speaker 1: So my issue with this, when we're talking about Paramount being at such a lower eb at the moment, is because they've now got these pathways and all that, they should be in a better position when they were going like bustards ten years ago, when they were getting spoons. Things are an absolute mess. Things shouldn't be a mess now. They shouldn't be in this position.
Speaker 2: So I'm saying to mate, So you head of football, it's the chairman, it's the board, it's the CEO. They are running the football operation. And when things fall over the way they have this year and the best kids they've have emerged for years ago walk out. You've got to make changes to the board. If I was Shawn macklduff, seriously, you'd put your hand up and just go. You really would. He's the chair of the club.
Speaker 3: It's there in a hole.
Speaker 2: The system has fallen over under his watch. They're in a massive home membership can't get to win because there's a brick wall that's gone up.
Speaker 3: Most clubs are like that, but now most clubs are like that. It's very hard to to get onto boards or.
Speaker 2: Top of board hold on. No one's going as outside of the West Tigers as bad as Power.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not defending them us and the players that they've got locked in long term aside side from Mitchell Moses right or the rest of them, if they hit the open market, their value would be a fraction of what they're except for Mitch Moses. Mitch Moses could command essentially what he wanted to on the open market, right. And I'm including Dylan Brown, And Dylan Brown's on money this year and he hasn't been great, and we saw not at all.
Speaker 2: And we saw when the finals last year when he played up and got suspended for eight boys. You look at the rest of those finals, the.
Speaker 3: Rest of those players who would earn more money than what they're on exited from Mitch Moses potentially.
Speaker 1: Will Pensini potentially, but not much else because we'retten. Kim mcgillard and Junior Barla are on massive coin.
Speaker 3: Charlaine Ryan, Madison, Hopwood probably maybe hop Goood, Yeah, give you that. But they have resigned him so with a boost. But he would have been the man in the open markets he looked until now. He did a couple more years, so two more, maybe three more. I'm not exactly sure.
Speaker 2: This question next week on your outfit, and I'm just looking at it. I'm gonna yeah, sorry, I just looked. I couldn't help himself go with it.
Speaker 3: I got a question for you.
Speaker 1: You reported that Paramatta would not wave the ten day calling off period. Are they intending on trying to convince a backflip out of Blaze to LUNGI?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I think it's just a matter of frustration. We've seen it. So the reason Penrith haven't come out and formally announced anything as a fact that technically, under the NRL rules they can't sign or formally sign a contract or the contract isn't valid until the ten day calling off period unless clubs wave the ten day calling off period, and we've seen that a couple of times. Penrith have done that with a few players that have left the club, but the Eels have opted against it. That's why Penrith aren't saying anything at the moment. But he'll be at the Panthers next year for the next three years. Three years, so three year deal for Blaze to join and his younger brother right may join him at some point too.
Speaker 1: It was also of contract. What do you think of calling him the Traboyevitch is a paramount.
Speaker 2: They're not the Traboys just yet, but they're potentially.
Speaker 3: There is paramount as paramatic can be. Cabramatta Junior is the dad coach is there? It's just yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Fans. Any hope we've we've I think we've divoded enough of my podcast to your club.
Speaker 3: Do we just get any Give them any hope? Moms, you of what something a matter time soon. Charlie Geimer was great in his inerial debut.
Speaker 1: He's part of that street ball team, seem Touvardi, Saxon PreK, Richard Penasini. He gets back from injury. But yeah, that's not it's not your spine all right, let's move on. Let's move on. You got that didn't help me at all?
Speaker 2: Are we've been too sensible?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Probably, well apart from we have to you have to balance it out when the when the outfit's not sensible.
Speaker 3: That mix got on.
Speaker 2: We're infotainment, they call it what they call it, so we give information entertained and we're talent.
Speaker 3: Allen doesn't iron. Talent doesn't iron. That was your best line ever on this podcast. I saw your suit last night on three.
Speaker 2: Sixty free suit, no wonder, he doesn't make canty gets eating for free?
Speaker 3: Hello tax man. I don't get to keep it.
Speaker 2: I just leave it there for blow me count the other day because I said to him, can I claim dry cleaning as I am talent on a show? Yes, and need to look the part. Wouldn't let me, wouldn't ley you? I said, it's a uniform, Yes, I must wear a neatly pressed suit and shirt. He said no justification for that, or just said I can't wow. What do you your stuff? What do you spend a week? I'd bake chances, an arm and a leg up at coming back.
Speaker 3: Him. The other big news this where Brian, what is going on? Mick Well obviously the rumbling starter during Origin camp. There's no doubt about that. And it's not you know, people have well, I guess doubts in his mind or the fact that he got to hang out with his mates again. Right, And this is not to disparage his relationship with the current players at the Panthers, but there's no doubt his closest friends. His four groomsmen at his wedding were Taruva, Lenu, Criyton and Loui. Okay, there were four groovesmen and the only and he'll be the only one there next year.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So and he's seen what the players have left the Panthers been able to achieve and how happy they are.
Speaker 1: And the lot of the West Tigers in Canterbury at the moment, are they well, no.
Speaker 3: One at the Tigers yet they're not at the Tigers. Louis, Yeah, but Crichton's gone good.
Speaker 2: But why did you sign for four years? He was the first one of them, He was the first He signed for four years because he probably thought that they'd all take dirty about his money.
Speaker 3: Well, how can you be dirty on his money when he's the highest paid when you're in the game it's six one hundred and fifty have been a surprise?
Speaker 2: Does he not read the rich one hundred every year?
Speaker 3: But he's the highest paid when you're in the game, right, I know, like you've got the matter happened.
Speaker 2: What would happen if the club went to him and said, look, you signed for six fifty, you've had a bad couple of years. Will knock you down to fourred.
Speaker 3: Because clubs can't do a good.
Speaker 2: Deal manager and all this, they were advised him to sign for four years. Why didn't he sign for two and then?
Speaker 3: But it's a good it's a good money deal. But it's a good money it's a good money deal because you know, on the open market, what could Brian to I had this argument last night, right, I don't think he's going to get colleagues.
Speaker 2: Fox went and looked at his quotes. When he resigned, he talked about what a proud moment it was twenty twenty two. He spoke at thank the club for giving him this opportunity. And now all of a sudden he's played Origin, he's won a couple of titles, and he's not as proud of me. You know, I don't like this.
Speaker 3: I don't like it either. I'm not I'm not saying it's a it's a good looking to do, but I just don't think it's all about money because Penrith have given him a good deal. They've given him a good deal, they haven't short changed him. He's worth essentially what he's on And you know people will say, well, what about Zachlimax Sacklomax's deal was signed as a fullback, right, so that's a false economy. Valentine Holmes's deal will signed as a fullback. Nick Kotri the other. He is the highest pay winging the game. This year. He was signed on that long term deal as a center to go to Canada with Canterbury. Canterbury is still subsidizing and this is the final year of his deal this year, so but next year he's the highest paid when you're in the game.
Speaker 2: But you know, you talk about all the groomsmen, they're all different clubs, so wherever he goes, they're not going to but the ones at bow Main, ones at Roosters, Spencer Lane, who weren't a couple of them at Canterbury.
Speaker 3: Where I get I get that, I do get that, But.
Speaker 2: It's if you're what you're saying is right, and would suggest internally at Penrith it's not quite as happy as it is a racket because the football they play, in the way they celebrate, I.
Speaker 3: Think there's not a division there. I'm not there's not a division there. It's just the fact that when he looks around, like in any workplace, money, in any workplace, or any school or whatever the case, you've got thirty people in a room, you're going to be closer with a pocket of people. And that's all it is.
Speaker 2: But what I'm saying is that pocket. He can't go and join.
Speaker 3: That if he's if he's well, you can join elements of it. But if he's on six hundred and fifty thousand dollars next to your buzz, what can he get on the open market?
Speaker 2: Look clubs that properly manage salary caps like Melbourne Storm and the Roosters and you know the Powerhouse. Yeah, well he's on the right money, so he can't be about money then well no, because Peraps is riding that West Tigers should pay a million a year.
Speaker 3: I know that's what he's I know that's what he's riding, and that's what people have suggested that's desperate. Okay, if anyone and this is no disrespect to Brian, but if anyone pays Brian to on more than seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars, they're not managing their cat properly and they're going to be in the If it's the West Tigers that do it, or whatever the case may be, they're going to be in the same cycle that has plagued them for the last couple of years. So for mine, it can't be about money. It can't slowly be about money because he's on a good If it was on four hundred, you could get seven hundred and seven fifty elsewhere. I get that right, But he's on six fifties. High paid player in the game, pay winging in the game.
Speaker 2: I'm a bit critical of managers and this too, and I'm going to write something on Sunday. The manager advised him to sign for four.
Speaker 3: Years, so it was a good deal. Didn't do to.
Speaker 2: And say let's you know, you might be better, Let's do another too. So the player, if it is money, says I could have done better. Well, he complaints to the club. What about the block ko advised him to sign it.
Speaker 3: But it's a good deal, buzz, He's got a good deal.
Speaker 2: Well, but me, I think we've established that money must be some part of.
Speaker 3: It must be a did he run with.
Speaker 2: Zach laimax or they all had separate rams and lack sax on A stupid girl for a winger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, eight hundred, but it's not comparable. But next year that doesn't earn that much money paramount.
Speaker 2: It's quite amazing.
Speaker 3: Still. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, if he's going to miss his mates over the road, I mean, doesn't I pick and stick guy? So seventeen years here your forty seven.
Speaker 2: Forty plate forty nine in.
Speaker 1: February February, So when you came across from the Herald, did you miss your mates? Did they want to come join you?
Speaker 2: Mate? Let's not go to your lack of loyalty. You started at the Leader, then you went to the.
Speaker 3: Same company, So that's going through a reserve rate the first grade.
Speaker 2: Then we threw a few extra bad I couldn't run fast enough.
Speaker 3: And if they threw a few, bob the other way and be.
Speaker 2: Gone, then you joined. Then you joined, and then you joined Fox Sports. And may loyalty ain't your strong point?
Speaker 3: I had it on my go on Triple and on Saturday.
Speaker 1: I.
Speaker 2: Can't. I made a mistake. I got on and I announced myself as the oldest debutant ever.
Speaker 3: Which you practice. I had to go giggle at that. I didn't practice, and that came to you, he thought about all the way in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I was thinking what am I even doing it? But then the producer sent me a message that Kerry O Keith was sixty eight.
Speaker 3: Carry okay George's own.
Speaker 1: Yes, there was a little bit of banter, but in the three well between the two of you and interesting mix, said a very motivational message to Buzz at about twelve o two pm on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Don't up so I have a listener. Bars switched over to me.
Speaker 2: I'm a chemistry man. I need to settle into a tune in on radio. And first up with Tony and Wade and Ryan Girdle and Brisbane. It's not as comfortable sitting here with you two, you know, like we bagged the tripe out of each other and now it's a jury up and same with three sixty your company. So you can't just march in. I am reasoning now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only reason when Gordy gives me a desk there. I'm glad. Still, I'm glad there's a camera, yes, so, but you know what I mean, it takes time to chemistry.
Speaker 3: Are you back on this Saturday? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I bet you're going to bang. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: We're going to get to listeners questions at some point. But it's ahow that you had struggle with a live read on Sunday too.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about, Carlos Piles? Are you serious?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: And Garlic told me there's not a pie left.
Speaker 3: I was just I wasn't listening.
Speaker 2: But that's very good. I've got freaking respect.
Speaker 1: I want to move on to this. I want to on the back of the Brian conversation. I want to have a discussion about the highest paid player versus the best player in their position, because I want to see if clubs are spending in the right areas or if Braith and Asta, James Hooper and Gordon tell us a right and you should be spending a million bucks a year on Brian.
Speaker 3: You were one out on that one last night, had no support a million Well, they started at me in Onday. I got him down to nine hundred last night.
Speaker 1: I texted him some support last night. He just turned around and bagged you and me.
Speaker 2: I'll go and replay it. I will use my triple to come back.
Speaker 3: I said, you're arguing with idiots. He goes, Yah, I do the same on Thursday. I didn't see that. I jumped back. I said, I'm on bloody brain.
Speaker 1: Get the text off yet, right, Okay, So I want to see if you agree that these guys as highest paid in the game are the best players. If not, who is and why so? Kle and Ponger top of out rich one.
Speaker 3: Hundred best full back in the game?
Speaker 2: No, no Dealan Edwards?
Speaker 3: Is Dylan Edwards?
Speaker 2: Pong's in the top three? You know what? I've had Reche walshly slip out of the top three. I think he's been disappointing. My top three would be after Dylan would be Teddy and Ponger in the Tommy Tommy is sort of oh yeah, Tommy. Tommy hasn't had a great year.
Speaker 3: That hasn't.
Speaker 2: But we're talking current form.
Speaker 1: Do you think opposition teams targeting Rethe Walsh through his size. I know Queensland and Brisbane complaining about him getting bashed out of the game, but he's definitely been targeted.
Speaker 2: I think people are working him out a little better that Sweetpee does, and they're more you know. Yeah, but I think he's dropped out of the top three at this stage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if we're basing at if what's the critter just formed this year? Yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 2: So we agree Edwards just the man schedules.
Speaker 3: What's on about fifty I think is his new deal. He's almost what's callan at one point four. Yeah, that's a significant difference.
Speaker 2: Good cat management by Penrith.
Speaker 3: They do a good job there and they're not spending million winger.
Speaker 1: Speaking of wingers, Brian toe top as far as a had a wingers price, which this is my argument that he is signed as a winger.
Speaker 3: I played the game like we're excluding Lomax and the next one. Yeah. Yeah, Bryan's our best winger in the game. Yeah, I'm comfortable with that, comforting with what he's earning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I don't see it as clear as you. I'd probably put him there fade out. I love zab coats in the air. He can return kicks, he can you know that, divey scot.
Speaker 3: So just I just love his meat eaters and he's.
Speaker 2: Finishing gosh coach spectacular.
Speaker 3: That Coats is awesome and he's.
Speaker 2: Got the Queens saying go roll. That was part of it.
Speaker 3: You know, he's a good player. But yeah, for mine, Tom very comfortable with.
Speaker 1: And even if you included Zach Lamax. I mean, it's massive money for a winger. But it's having a very good year.
Speaker 3: It's having a very very well, he's having a great He's probably last post origin, probably hasn't had the same impact that he had in the first half of the seas is, but yeah, i'd have Brian Todd there.
Speaker 2: Well, what about Center Vale Home?
Speaker 3: So this is an interesting one because we've gone back and talking about he's signers on fullback money. Well, the other one would be Joey Marner is the best center in the game.
Speaker 2: For mine, I am going to argue with you about Joey Marner. I think Stephen Crichton is the best center in the game. And if I was doing a top ten of Rugby league players, I'd have Crichton in the top five.
Speaker 3: I can't argue with that either the way he's been going, only because Joey has had his best season with injuries. Yeah, that's that's and the influence that he has vow hasn't had a good year at all whatsoever, So he's definitely not a form player in that position. But yeah, I think Buzz, that was.
Speaker 2: A good story you broke on vo getting permission.
Speaker 1: Would you sign Voal a few of the Dragons for the right price of wood because he covered, he takes a lot of what they need, center, fullback, goalkicker.
Speaker 3: Did he want to play fullback?
Speaker 2: It? I think so. I think he'd liked to have his I don't think he sees himself as a winger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just don't know if he's twenty nine, whether or.
Speaker 2: Not he's he's not as good a player as he used to be. No good player.
Speaker 3: He hasn't been great this year. But if i'm the Dragons for what they need, definitely signing him. Yeah. I just get no.
Speaker 1: I said this on Monday's podcast that I get the feeling that if this is one of those four year deals on big money that eyes play then pay, then you think, oh what are we doing the last two? But anyway, quick question is Stephen Crichton, would he be the highest paid center now with I still.
Speaker 3: Think Joey Mine who's probably got him, just I think, well, we'll cry. I think fifty year it might be a deal, but actually still a good deal. Can I backtrack and go with buzz on this one? You won me over.
Speaker 2: It's interesting. There's a key we Joey Marner palm in the Dolphins boy if Farnworth mm hm and played for he's a Samot one three non Kangaroos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Five eighth camera monster. No, well you can't this year based on injury, you know, the peak of his powers yet best five eight in the game. I think Jerome Wi has been outstanding this year.
Speaker 2: I agree, I'm getting scared twice.
Speaker 3: Agreed, but you turned me on the last one.
Speaker 2: Ja. Yeah, he's the He should on what he's done this year, should be the highest paid, and he will nearly be next year.
Speaker 3: I think he'll be seven next year though, he'll be in that number seven, but of course he'll be competing against the next guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Nathan Cleary.
Speaker 3: So how do you judge him? Right, he's easily he's the best player in the game. Missed lots through injury, didn't win Origin for the Blues, the best. He's the best player in the game for Mine's not.
Speaker 2: That far behind him. My view this year or there's one this year. He's actually had a better year than clearly, which is Jerome Hughes massive year. So we're doing it on this year. But with Cleary.
Speaker 3: It's so hard not to right. But Jerame has been the best half back this year. Yeah, played and like, how what do you got him in.
Speaker 2: Your rich list?
Speaker 3: I don't have it on the top of my head. He'd be edging a meal now. Yeah, but yeah, he's been outstanding this year, buzz. But Cleary played one game You'll still be like, how can he played that one game?
Speaker 1: And against the Dolphins and he was a little bit clunky finding himself.
Speaker 3: And then just last.
Speaker 1: Week you would have thought he'd been playing consistent forty for three months. The way he performed unbelievable.
Speaker 2: He wins ce daly m they've done a Jerame Hughes, he shure think so.
Speaker 1: I think so, prop Adam Fanel Blake, buzz. I'm sure you can't wait to get him a cronellin next year.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look at the moment, i'd probably have Fisher, Harris, Spencer, Leaner, Payne hass. I don't think Fanilla Blake again, you know.
Speaker 3: I don't think Fisher Harris was great to start this year.
Speaker 2: Either, what about Spencer and has.
Speaker 3: Been outstanding and paint Hass has been outstanding. Yeah, they'd be the two for mine, ahead of Phenol Black. Fenol Black glimpses again of his elite talent, but you know, hasn't had that consistency that we've seen from the last couple of years. I think Fisher Harris probably hasn't met at his best either this year to start the year. It's better. I think it is a great player has been outstanding. Controversial take.
Speaker 1: I think Fanila Blake has more impact on games than paint Hass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because of his footwork and his ability to.
Speaker 2: I would but Payne Hass was sensational and Origin three.
Speaker 3: It's more consistent. But if we're talking highlight real plays for Blake has more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got I'm just looking at the highlights of paynehas thinking why the Broncos going with the going? But anyway, second row, so David forfeeda Tobo Harris still on a big contract in the final the final year or.
Speaker 2: This an easy run from Angus Crichton.
Speaker 3: Tick, no debate. I think it's crying outstanding.
Speaker 2: Billy kick out in the argument he was Sensation last first ten rounds.
Speaker 3: And started the year in reserve grade. That's crazy to think, isn't it. We alongside Connor Watson.
Speaker 2: And he couldn't get a run in Vegas? Didn't he go to Vegas?
Speaker 3: Kind of? Watson played reserve grade the next week while the RUSS had that week off because of from Vegas out at St. Mary's. Whoever they played?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And who coaches the Ruses there?
Speaker 3: Brett Morris?
Speaker 2: Do we need to give Brett Morris.
Speaker 1: And forgetting an origin back roller bout.
Speaker 2: He's send him back ready to play? Didn't he didn't he?
Speaker 3: Just?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: What about Locke?
Speaker 1: This is You've got Cameron Murray, Jake Traboyovich, and Jason Tamalala all around that same coin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't have any of those as the form locks of He has been Carrigan, Yeah, probably Patrick Carrigan just ahead of at the moment, you know they haven't. Murray has been injured a little bit, which hurts obviously, so I would have Carrigan just ahead of you.
Speaker 1: Has been playing prop and off the bench. I mean it's still middle, so I still work and obviously Jake's Jake just assuming keeps getting the job done and hooker.
Speaker 3: So does Harry Grant with his new deal, go to.
Speaker 1: The number one highest paid hooker this season, ahead of his former teammate Brandon Smith. There and work all these going through the I think hooker one of the most under represented positions in that rich one hundred.
Speaker 3: It's that surprised me.
Speaker 2: So yeah, do you should be on more.
Speaker 3: Now? I'm not saying anyone the form hooker of the competition. I don't think Harry has had an exceptional season. I don't think Brandon's had an exception there. So has read many been the best hooker this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Him and Robson Reece, Robson.
Speaker 3: Wade Egan if he stays on the field like he's just had to interrupted for Wade, you know, I just I think Jeremy Marshall started, you know.
Speaker 2: And he turns out was good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we keep sleeping on happy when he just he keeps producing weeks Cookie at South Yeah, that's probably the hardest one to pick, maybe say Reid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I definitely Marshall King was.
Speaker 3: Michael King was outstanding for the Dolphins earlier.
Speaker 2: But now I'll tell you he's playing hooker now for Max plas a great Max Plats is a good play having great season found utility.
Speaker 1: I think from what Reed Marny went through last year to how he's producing this season, this is the Reed Marney that we saw at parap and.
Speaker 2: I reckon he's twice as good a player as he was at Para, well a little bit more. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his roles explided, hasn't it, And he's taken it both.
Speaker 2: I noticed he's dropped off a little bit with his chatter the last few weeks after that's the opposition.
Speaker 3: The players are just ignoring a bit better. I don't know, yeah, but he doesn't.
Speaker 1: I did hear a little rumor that a certain Daily Telegraph reporter who was on three sixty on Tuesday night it might have been a little concerned because he was in the green room. It was meant to be in the green room the same time as Reid Marney, and he might have written a column that was maybe not too complimentary about Reed Marny.
Speaker 2: Sam you called his column bulldog's bite, and I guess when you call a column bite, you got to bite. And he just smashes inappropriate some of his commentary.
Speaker 3: Mixed Segment Listener questions. This is from Peter. Do you remember the first player you ever interviewed? And who was it? Buddy Moty third player.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what I did. I was here late at night as a copy boy and one of the journals left his contact book on the table and I went flicking.
Speaker 3: Through it and I got a story on that too.
Speaker 2: And I South had a big game on that week, and Gary Stevens was doing the news, so I pinched Gary Stephens and I rang him. I said, oh, garyot's Phil Field from the Telegraph. How are you? He said, who the telly? I'm given Bill and he's hand.
Speaker 3: I have a question. That so neurvous when I when I left the Leader, I might have taken some phone numbers out of a colleagues phone book.
Speaker 2: I knew would have interviewed Football's leader, wouldn't.
Speaker 3: You, heaps? Yeah, my first one that the first I did a year six school project on the Dragons and I interviewed Johnny Raper and Lee Murphy really so to contrasting sort of careers there. But Johnny Rape used to come into mum's work or something and she lined it up for me, and then Lee Murphy came to my kins cults presentation. So I got Dad to go back home and get the video camera and I'd love to see that footage if it ever existed. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what about you?
Speaker 1: Well, when I was still at UNI in two thousand and one, I was working in a little paper called The Valley of Voice in Canberra, little community thing. Yeah, it was in Manarica there, and I was walking down the street to grab coffees because I was sent for the coffee run. I walked past Anthony Munday and his dad I was sitting down there with remember Brian Clark, the old attic boss, and they was sitting there having a coffee, and so I just Jesus may as well, walked up, introduced myself. I said, hey, do you mind when you're done if we could have a chat. I wouldn't mind having an interview. And Chock said, Bra, we've got something going on. Come see me in twenty minutes. So I went back upstairs told the editor, who said, what are you going to ask? I said, I've got no idea. So I got my notepad, went down and sat down with chopping hard.
Speaker 3: And you would mean like so nervous to approaching right, But how nice was he oh, best bloke in the world, and.
Speaker 1: All three of them were terrific, and I said, whatever else you need and yeah, will never forget that.
Speaker 3: Terrific is always always good to me. When I was at the Leader Chock and that was when I was the peak of his hours, you know, win Stadium, wind Sock. I heard all these names linked to Flano, Safiti, Homes, Lodge, Takiyaho. Are there any of them going to actually happen? I haven't heard of Takyaho linked to the Dragons.
Speaker 2: The isn't he lame as well?
Speaker 3: He's had a year. I haven't played a game of foota this year.
Speaker 2: And I think he played four or five. Yeah, yeah, I think Saint George needs to be doing a bit better than that.
Speaker 3: Lodge is no Holmes is a maybe Daniel Seferti. I'm still not as convinced that he'll end up at the Dragon. You buzzy.
Speaker 2: They haven't trouble with track done a good player, aren't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's probably been more difficult than I think they all thought. M hmm.
Speaker 2: When signed everyone at Cornala, he had Gal go along with him and Gal was the new South Wales captain. And then when he got wide, and then Ernes could see that it's.
Speaker 3: He hasn't been able to do that, hasn't been able to to get that big fish to attract the others power legends. Just wondering why to so many people not rate the Sharks at all. Have been constantly around the top four since Fitzkimmon took over.
Speaker 2: No X factor simple. Dave Rick wrote recently, you need four point nine origin players to win a camp good story. They don't have an origin player.
Speaker 3: They had two mckinnison.
Speaker 2: For one game, which was up belted in.
Speaker 3: Viewed as a soft draw.
Speaker 1: And I haven't made it past week two of the finals yet, so he's got.
Speaker 2: To get over that final underfits agree there's no X factor there.
Speaker 3: I think the the X facts that will come next to him. For Blake, I think they're four I was created or their four. I just thought they were a bit the same same. Royce Han's been good since the sort of test of the market and it has provided a point of difference.
Speaker 2: But played near down last week. Yeah, didn't get didn't take the towns, and I think he'd been crook and then he came good and they kept him down.
Speaker 3: Here Ryan one teams like South so desperately in need for middles and not going after players like Stefano salary cap Ryan. I think they're the full brim. And when there was talk around John Bateman going to Souse next year and South like, well, if you want to come from minimum age, we can take him because we don't have a dollar left in our cap.
Speaker 2: Essentially, even Wayne's kind of struggle them with their current front row. But the last time I bagged the club about lack of front row depths was the Bulldogs. You know, we all said it, too many utilities snow front Now half look at them?
Speaker 3: Look at them all right? Some emails from data are all the grounds the same dimension or some of the suburban grounds a little skinnier? Win Stadium and Brookie have noticed the game seems a little compressed compared to the big stadiums. Is this an illusion or what's going on their buzz.
Speaker 2: The field? I didn't do my homework there. I think they're all the same size. I haven't heard there night. I think the crowd's been closed.
Speaker 3: I think sometimes the sidelines closer to the defence of what it is and the dead ball line. There was a time when the dead ball lines are all different as well, but now we.
Speaker 1: Make COMBA, they're very close to the sideline there too.
Speaker 3: You know, Buzz, there's some homer for you for next week. Then Buzz will come back to you, David Mark, Can you or Buzz explain why the last three Grand Finals Grand finalists Robbert, o Ils and Broncos have fallen off a cliff.
Speaker 2: They're called hangovers. And I read Andrew Johnson's column today in Arrival newspaper. I'm not sure if you guys did. He spoke of the Broncos hangover and said similar stup to what I wrote last Monday, that he goes adulation. Yeah, he spoke about the same thing. And I think a lot of the players might have thought, you know, we were a premiers for sixty three minutes there and we only have to turn up.
Speaker 3: The most concerning ones, probably the Broncos, I'd say in that because their goodness, well well I think Paramatta were out their peak. That was their opportunity. You know, Souths had that Adam Reynolds there and you know, but the Broncos where you really a young side who should have been able to sustain it and and get back to that position if you look at that ross I so I think the Bronco has been the most disappointing of those three. Then probably the Rabbit O's and then the Eels. I'd say in.
Speaker 2: Terms of what I wouldn't have been that order, Well, how would you go? Uh, probably Para when you're the complete capitulation with the best. If you want me to get a crissis made out, they bagged me when I get.
Speaker 3: A made around. No, No, that's not what I meant. What I meant was that that side that premiership we talked about premiership windows. That was paramatters. Now at the other end of it, they're in a much worse situation. But I think Brisbane should still be top four side this year where paramount. All Right, David wants to know why is Belmore not as hyped as like her?
Speaker 1: Well, I think Brent Reid thinks of him about the same level.
Speaker 2: Look, that's a good question.
Speaker 3: Good question.
Speaker 2: More sports ground. I hold days it was so atmosphereic.
Speaker 3: Wait for Sunday so much.
Speaker 2: You know what I've got footy tap punters they still do fully tap. I'm going to give you the better the weekend. Right now, there is an ambulsh happening at Belmo on Sunday?
Speaker 3: Is it your man, Ricky?
Speaker 2: Ricky's going to do an ambush? What price they are you?
Speaker 3: Look on the radar?
Speaker 1: Is he posting a Michael Carriana's preseason predictions.
Speaker 3: Thing on the wall up there to motivate the truth?
Speaker 2: Yeah, one would think. So, I smell a massive ambul You just wanted that to have it?
Speaker 3: So brakleaves you alone on Monday night.
Speaker 2: Just se him film me on Intersesta during the week.
Speaker 3: Makes me laugh every time.
Speaker 2: Three work experience. One was a full time and the boss was in just making sure everything. They put this green stuff on my cheeks and then Mate loves it.
Speaker 3: He does.
Speaker 2: He loves making a fool of me.
Speaker 3: Here he goes thoughts on the rookie of the year. I'm starting to think Jack box Stock has his nose in front like you Gallan missing out due to suspension.
Speaker 2: I got around Jake box box stuff. You've got one coming, I've got one. I coached against him, oh the old tag. I coached Cornala and he played for did you and he can't? Also coached against Joseph Mate. I was pretty good.
Speaker 3: I was half time sprays.
Speaker 2: Like that make their kids. We're not playing for sweep stations.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I used to tell them, like Ted Gloss and the entertainers, go and enjoy yourself.
Speaker 3: Parenting style, not my parents on my coaches.
Speaker 2: What was the question? Is a rookie of the year?
Speaker 3: Mob?
Speaker 2: He nearly Galvin? Isn't it is?
Speaker 3: He can't be because of his suspension.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bostocks had a great season, isn't he? I'd say blade slangy, but he's hurt me too much.
Speaker 2: I don't agree with him being No, he hasn't done as much as his publicity would suggest.
Speaker 3: View All right, back to your mobsy, Bostocks had a great year.
Speaker 1: Oh you're done with this? So did you have a Rookie.
Speaker 3: Of the year?
Speaker 2: Good questions?
Speaker 3: Oh, good questions? Yeah, it's nice. Yeah, lots of emails, lots of emails about Paramounta. But I applied to the people, say we're going to talk personally. You people take the time out, and then applied. I always get back to ye.
Speaker 2: I told the John's family about the jungle chicken carriage, and I begged the tripe out of Ready's lemon, rosemary, rose garlic.
Speaker 3: Yes are they?
Speaker 2: I got tacos tonight. My daughter's coming home and yeah for a meal, and we're doing yeah, not far off. I've got this thing. I've got to go and get a box from Ballies. It's yeah.
Speaker 3: Nice. We're having all the talk. And I spoke about the lamb recipe last week. Leftical. That's what we're actually having for dinner tonight.
Speaker 2: So I'll send your father technical we are now we need to print that menu.
Speaker 3: Actually keep people keep asking for you do some video for us.
Speaker 2: We can add it to this. I can ask Clark if you want, can I just finish up? Seriously? Talk to me, Buzzy, Can you a bit better next year? Next week with.
Speaker 3: Thongs?
Speaker 1: I would pay you to being a single because you get older than anyone on.
Speaker 3: I'm going to turn the temperature.
Speaker 2: They don't have a budget here for makeup or wardrobe. I'd just like to try a bit harder.
Speaker 3: And when I'm on the in the studio for abe, so I'm always.
Speaker 2: Showing my toes off because I get gout and a little bit smiling.
Speaker 3: They are enjoy your dinner, folks. So