Speaker 1: This is Business Now with Ross Greenwood.
Speaker 2: Hi there and welcome to Business Now on this Thursday. Thanks for your company. I'm Ross Greenwood. Coming up on the program today, Donald Trump threatens to Sackey's Central Bank boss Federal Reserve chaired your Own Power, labeling him as dumb and as a total and complete moron for not cutting interest rates.
Speaker 1: But Power for now is standing.
Speaker 2: Firm shares an accounting software company zero is slumped today after it raised money from shareholders to spend three point nine billion dollars in the.
Speaker 1: US business millio payments.
Speaker 2: And how Donald Trump's Big Beautiful Bill will play out here in Australia, especially the threat of that section eight nine to nine, which could add a tax burden to Australian investors putting their money into America. So all that and plenty more coming up on today's program.
Speaker 1: Now, a couple of other stories we think you should know about today.
Speaker 2: One of them is this reports this afternoon of surface of the world's biggest oil companies, Shell and BP are in talks to merge. If successful, it would become the biggest energy merger since Xcell and Mobile came together in late nineteen ninety nine. Shell, which has a market value of more than one hundred and fifty billion US dollars, is.
Speaker 1: The larger of the two companies.
Speaker 2: BHP's market value now around fifty six billion US. The reports of a merger first surfaced in the Wall Street Journal, but were immediately dismissed by Shell as market speculation. But below the surface here is the agitator investor, Elliott Investment, which previously targeted the Australian giant BHP and urged it to jettison its oil and gas business.
Speaker 1: It ultimately sold that business to Woodside.
Speaker 2: Elliot's accumulated more than five percent of BP shares and is again urging change.
Speaker 1: Much of that is to walk away.
Speaker 2: From a disastrous push into renewable energy sources, which dragged on the BHP share price for years, but BP already is seeking to sell its castrol oil business. In the past year, VP shares down twenty three percent, compared with Shell shares which have fallen by about nine percent. Both companies primary listings are on the London Stock Exchange, and today the Hong Kong Monetary Authority intervened into markets to defend the value of its local currency.
Speaker 1: Historically, the Hong Kong.
Speaker 2: Dollar is pegged to a narrow range of between seven point seventy five and seven point eighty five US dollars. Lace last week the currency fell to the low end of that band, and today saw sharp falls before the monetary authority stepped in and brought around one point eight.
Speaker 1: Billion US dollars worth of Hong Kong dollars.
Speaker 2: Though the PEG's been questioned for some years, there seems little expectation that China's authorities will do away with the PEG altogether, which some traders still urge.
Speaker 1: But look, let's get.
Speaker 2: Across the rest of the day's market moves with Edward board ed. Another flat day for our stock market here ross.
Speaker 3: It was another real flat day for the market. Most sectors were in the red, but mining companies were pretty strong, which kept them market really tracking sideways. The ASX two hundred finished the day down just eight points. And here's what it's done for the past five days. You can see it's gone hardly anywhere. The banking sector has been strong over the past week. It's up about three percent. Energy stocks have slumped almost five percent due to plunging oil prices. ASX is only up twenty points for over the past week. You don't see this flat trading very often. Liftier Miners, Pilbrim Minerals and Igo were some of the best performers today after the investment giant Vanguard bought a five percent steak in both companies to FIRSTI Fied Mine and Mineral Resources was up to a long with the four wheel drive fit up business AARB and porfology provider Heelius jump as well after Japan's biggest financial group Mitsubishi UFJ bought a five percent steak in that company as well. Card payments business EML was another top performer. Mining services business Parenti lifted two after it's secured a two hundred million dollar contract to conduct underground mining at a West gold mine in Wa. Retailer Premier Investments had a good day on the market.
Speaker 1: A and Zed was the strongest.
Speaker 3: Bank defense company Drome Shield it kept lifting after signing that sixty two million dollar contract yesterday. It was up almost twelve percent today. Gold miners were sold off led by Northern Star and Evolution waterering business tab Corp down as well, along with the online car retailer Car Group, Global Packaging, Giant amcre and Ross.
Speaker 1: That's another flat day on the market. Flap day on the market. It's a longgoing story. Thanks Ed.
Speaker 2: Well, let's think about the US now in its economy. Donald Trump today had a major winners. Noto countries agreed to lift their share of defense spending. But Trump is not getting everything his own way at home, and especially not with the head of the US Federal Reserve, Jerome Pale, who continues to express caution about the impact of Trump's policies on tariffs and therefore inflationable. Trump has criticized Pale for months, for today came his most striving broadside. In another effort to cut interest rates. Today Trump Trump wrote, I've tried it all different ways. I've been nice, I've been neutral, and I've been nasty. Neutral didn't work. He's a dumb guy and obviously a Trump hater who should never have been there. He later said, in this tirerade, I don't know why the board doesn't override this complete, the total and complete moron. Maybe, just maybe I'll have to change my mind about firing him. But regardless, his term ends shortly. So let's bring in here. Mikhaela Fachilo, who's the chief economist at Jardon just to get some insight of this.
Speaker 1: Mikaela, good to chat to you.
Speaker 2: This is big, strong dispute between these two and it's going to end only.
Speaker 1: One way, and that is Jerome Powell is going to leave that.
Speaker 4: Office, yes, or he will cut one of the two. I think it's really interesting to see because we don't have clarity yet in the US or how the tarists are flowing through the data. In fact, inflation actually went down in May, it was quite contained, and goods inflation, which is the main one exposed to Tintario, hasn't really shown yet that prices are going up. But they're certain the right like don't forget we're in a pause and times talks will return in early July. So two of the board members of the FED are actually keen to start easing the raid in July. That was the headlines overnight. But he still thinks there's value in waiting and looking at the economy in the US. It's not really arguing or screaming for rad cards yet.
Speaker 2: So one of the things about this is that falling prices therefore falling inflation, don't always signal strength in an economy. In many cases, if companies can't raise prices. That signifies weakness in consumer demand and therefore weakness in the overall economy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I guess it's just a matter of the leads and lags in the psych right. Inflations normally stays a little bit longer in demand eventually falls through. But what we have seen on this one is there've been too any shocks policy support, then hikes, now tariffs, and so we don't really get a clear picture more consistent we wear activity sad. But in saying that the labormark is still in good shape, there's some measures of sentiment looking a little bit weaker, but we haven't really seen a major impact of any of these in the data in terms of inflation. So there's not really a strong case for the Fed to return to cuts. The market thinks at the end of the year we might see us many as too, but we shall see.
Speaker 2: But one of the reasons why Trump has come out with this strident criticism of your own power is when he broke down basically what other nations around the world were doing with inflation and interest rates, and they made the comparison back to America, where he doesn't think they're cutting fast enough. Despite Obviously, as you say, inflation coming down, other parts of the world seem more willing to cut interest rates, including here in Australia right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a really interesting one because finally we're seeing some diver divergence across different regions. Right Australia has finally got an inflation back into the target and we're seeing rates coming down, and perhaps the uncerventy around the US show it's what's getting the RBA to be pushed a little bit faster than perhaps domestic data is doing. But if you look at New Zealand, for instance, it's not very far from US. In the Central Bank in the last meeting mentioned that they're more worried about near term risk to inflation in their upside even though they cut. So it's just very very different depending on how this shock is expected to het different regions. But the clear consensus is that for the US attarists are suddenly inflationary, whereas everywhere else is more an issue of slower growth and how that feeds through the rest of the economy that is just recovering from a very very high inflation period.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, and that's also part of the history of inflation that just because you now have it suppressed, given the fact we've just had a breakout of inflation, the danger is, of course it breaks out again, and that is what central bankers, including Jerome Power, including say, for example here Michelle Bullock, are always highly wary of.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's also a matter of the mandates right central are targeting inflation, particularly at a certain level, which is in the US two percent. In Australia is a little bit more flexible two and three. But yeah, so I guess in Australia is a little bit more uncertain because some of the sectors of the economy still show some inflation being sticky, and that's a function of a labor market that's been surprisingly strong. So the RBA certainly has to be very careful. But in saying that, if the money is so weak and the private sector is not really moving and there's no spending, inflation should remain content just with a little bit of a lug.
Speaker 2: So, okay, mcalla just the final one, very quickly. How many right cats you got this year?
Speaker 4: I've got one in July, one in August and then a pause to see what those do, and another one in November. So a little bit more to come.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you it'd always good having the progrem MICHAELA for many Thanks for your time today, Thank you well. Coming up after the break, we stick with America and it's controversial section nine to nine bill which tax Australian investors when putting.
Speaker 1: Their money in the US.
Speaker 2: But despite that ruling, the New Zealand Australian accounting software business zero, spending three point nine billion dollars to expand in America. It is great to have your company here on business now.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Earlier this week, Donald Trump's One Big Beautiful Bill aimed at cutting US taxes past the US House of Representatives. Though largely a domestic bill, it does have a big sing in its tail for overseas investors in America, especially from Australia, and that's called section eight ninety nine. Now, this section could see an increase in taxes on dividends or interest earned in America, on profits repatri headed two overseas countries including Australia, and withholding tax on passive investment income. And all this comes at a time when there's record Australian investment into America, not just from our companies but also from superannuation fund and other investors as well. Now one of those investors perhaps affected is Katrina Burns, who was the lead portfolio manager at Wayam Global, who joins me.
Speaker 1: Now, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: As always, Katrina, your own sense on this, you'd have read it, you'd have looked at this is going to have an impact or not.
Speaker 5: Look, let's see where early days. Obviously it's gone through the House, still needs to go through the Senate, and even the House and Senate in terms of what's being proposed, they need to be reconciled. So there's differences there that need to see reconciliation before they can even go to Trump. Importantly, this isn't affecting capital gains unlike Labour's policies here, which you know we Wilson Asset Management very much against. So this is not capital gains. It is, as you said, dividends and income. So there's a difference there. But look, let's see still early days, but not a positive direction of travel, but much more water under the bridge still to come.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Australian capital going to the United States is taking advantage of high returns there as compared with in Australia. Now that is true for super funds who find a lack of opportunities here to invest in. There's simply too big, so they've got to put money overseas.
Speaker 1: But it also goes to companies.
Speaker 2: Many of those chief executives when we speak with here, simply say, look, sorry, we can't make enough money on our capital here in Australia.
Speaker 1: We have to go to America. So from your point of.
Speaker 2: View as an investor, you're seeking an opportunity. So anything that taxes the more, is it this incentive?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does.
Speaker 5: If it's to go through both the House and the Senate, it would disincentivize investment in the US, that is right, and it would cap reduce the gains that can potentially be made from investing in the US. All right, and I guess the other point the point in terms of the will still what still has to occur, and in terms of the dividend and income component though like you still yeah, there is still much more that has to be reconciled. So it absolutely would disincentivize and incentivize actually going to other countries are more so you know, you would be incentivized to invest less in the US and go more towards Europe, Asia, et cetera. So that is correct.
Speaker 2: Okay, So then you sit there and go that this is part of something that is much bigger. The One Big, Beautiful Bill is designed to bring down US taxes. What I wonder whether it's also a bargaining chip by Donald Trump and his administration to change the disincentives that we put in place in Australia against American companies. I'm thinking of Google taxes, I'm thinking of, say, the PBS system for our drugs. These are all things that Americans in the past have protested.
Speaker 5: Again, absolutely, and that could be a deal that is done that we give up some of the penalties that we're potentially putting on the tech companies, for example, in exchange for walking back the penalties that will would be put on Australia. So there's absolutely negotiation that will still likely go on, and we could come to a much more favorable resolution than what is being proposed at this point.
Speaker 2: Okay, But given even those taxes that may come as a result of this bill, does it still make it more attractive to invest in the United States, especially given future capital gains as compared with moving your money to Asia or moving into Europe or leaving it in Australia.
Speaker 5: I think it depends on ultimately on what the investment opportunities are. Still the US is an incredible place for innovation, and when you look at the companies, particularly in the tech space, for example, that are in America, there's still some wonderful businesses to invest in. Some of the best businesses in the world are in the US. So even with this potentially capping the returns that you can generate out of investing in the US, it still may well be the best place to invest. Even thinking about that the extra penalties we're getting here, and importantly, it may incentivize that companies that you invest in in the US to actually give more back to investors in the form of buybacks rather than dividends. And in many cases, in terms of tech companies, for example, in the US, they don't really pay much in the way of dividends anyway. So it actually in that case, if you're investing in a tech company in the US that doesn't really generate like pay out income and either does buybacks or doesn't even pay dividends, which is very often the case, there will be limited impact. So I think it really depends on what type of investments that you are making in the US.
Speaker 2: Trina, I've got to leave with them any thanks for your time, Portfolio manager at Wham Global. But looks section night nine nine hasn't stopped the New Zealand accounting software company Zero from making a huge bit in America.
Speaker 1: It'll spend three point nine billion dollars to acquire the platform.
Speaker 2: Millio shares started trading this morning after an institutional placement at a discounted share price.
Speaker 1: You can say that were down five percent.
Speaker 2: Eight Boyd put up with the Zero chief executives so kinda sing cassidy as they're doing this deal.
Speaker 6: Well, when you think about Zero, our ambitions are global, as we've talked about, and we play in many critical markets. One of those is certainly the United States, and it is one of the largest SMB markets in the world, so it's no surprise there we have we would say, loved accounting software and the opportunity to take many more customers and increase our share. But in order to do that, we really feel like we need a value proposition which is even richer and fuller, and we often talk about our strategies being what we call the three by three accounting, payroll and payments together in an into platform. We have that here in Australia, but in the United States we really wanted to anchor that value proposition with bolstering our accounting software with a big payments player, and thus we acquired Milio, which really manages workflow for small businesses and accounting and payables.
Speaker 3: How long have you been in the US market for Is it a really tough market to cracking too?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, look, it's a market worth cracking into. It's one of the largest sm B markets in the world. Of course, many people who know Zero. No, we started there almost ten years ago. I think we have been building our presence. Today we have about four hundred thousand subscribers in North America, but there is no doubt that we are playing for more and I think thus the acquisition of Melio, which is a leading bill pay providing the United States, attaching that software. It is zero software, so customer can come in and do both accountings invoicing bill pay on the zero platform. Certainly we believe is a step function in our US value proposition.
Speaker 3: What attracted you today, Ladyship team.
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, you've got serial entrepreneurs who have exited, built and exited tech companies to some large global players. Maton bar built his first payment software company and makes it did to PayPal, and then stayed there for six years and built a leading consumer peer to peer payments platform. So he brings all that knowledge to Melio, which he spent the last seven years building, because, as he would say, small business workflows they're just not great in the US. There's no workflow software that makes it easy to manage bills, schedule bills, choose which ways to pay and get paid, then of course process the payment, and then on the other side, reconcile it to things like your accounting software. And I think it was on that vision that he built Melio.
Speaker 3: How are you going to be able to merge the two platforms together. How long is that process going to take?
Speaker 1: Well, you know it won't.
Speaker 6: Take that long. Milio is built as a very extensible platform. In fact, they don't only run their own site, but they already embed their software in leading sites in the US, like leading bank sites, Shopify, Gusto, and so embedding their technology on zero is relatively seamless. Now we still imagine. Of course, we want to create a great user experience, so we'll take some months to do that. But we've talked to the market about integrating within the first year and then being able to drive accelerated growth off the combined platform.
Speaker 3: How big a risk is this for you guys at zero taking this big punt?
Speaker 6: Well, look, I think you always when you make an M and a move of this size, as you know it's a several billion dollar transaction. On the one hand, you want to do it thoughtfully and wisely because it's all in the execution. On the other hand, when we look at the tam of the US market, when we look at our starting position with great accounting software, when we look at the traction Melios built and it's loved positioned by customers, and then we look at the I would say, the big tailwinds in digitizing payments in the US, I would say, we feel like it's an acceptable level of risk for the outsized opportunity and reward.
Speaker 3: Has the economical business risk environment changed much in America since the Trump administration started. It think's a little bit more unpredictable now than they were before.
Speaker 6: Yes, Look, I think I think one can say in the US, you can see kind of the volatility i'd say, of moves, whether it's tariffs or other things, reflecting some of the macro volatility around the Trump administration. But let's come back to that core thesis, which is, regardless of the administration, small businesses need help managing their cash flow. They're already thirty two million small businesses in the United States. So and zero has always been a macro resilient business resilient, you know, things like COVID, geopolitics. Look, our job is not to predict where an administration is going. It's to serve our customers.
Speaker 3: One thing our treasurer spoke to Scott Besson about yesterday was Section eight nine to nine, a potential revenge tack on tax on Australian companies in America. You worried about potentially paying higher taxes on your earnings and revenue coming out of the United States.
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, I think I am not our CFO admittedly, but you have to remember we're a New Zealand headquartered company. We definitely have different jurisdictions where we have different subsidiaries, tax losses, places where profitable or not, and I count on our very smart team to figure out how we optimize any tax we know, tax burner we might face in any of our acquisitions or organically.
Speaker 3: Where do you say that the economic risks right now in the United States?
Speaker 6: Look, I think in the United States, you know, it's and I think this is continued as tariffs have shown up. I think what you see as an environment of uncertainty, but the signals from the market on unemployment, on small business productivity are still relatively healthy. So I think what one can say is it's an uncertain environment more than it's a taxing environment. But you know it's taxing for small businesses uncertainty, so our job is to help them manage that.
Speaker 3: And how confident a small business is right now in America?
Speaker 6: You know, I would say that small businesses throughout the world, as I said, our data shows and the small business Sentiment Index in the US, would would say that uncertainty is high. But again, the actual signals labor productivity are solid.
Speaker 1: Secindi, sen Cassidy, thanks so much for you toan thank you. That's it for today. We'll see tomorrow.