Speaker 1: Lately.
Speaker 2: Welcomely to the Late Blase Loo.
Speaker 3: Good evening and thanks for joining us on the Late Debate. I'm James Macpherson with Caleb Bond and back from her week in London.
Speaker 1: Liz Storer, Liz.
Speaker 4: How let go?
Speaker 1: You're at the art conference? I was tell us about it? What was the het?
Speaker 4: You was absolutely fabulous.
Speaker 5: Being from Sky News, it was like catching up with a pile of friends because we've had half The speakers were more than half, i'd say, on Sky News airwaves for many years now, so it was kind of like a family reunion.
Speaker 1: To be honest, there are some great speakers.
Speaker 3: Before we get into the night's news, just give us the highlights.
Speaker 1: Who did you really enjoy?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, that would be hard.
Speaker 5: But for me personally, it was Nigel Farage, just because personally he is someone who just exudes authenticity.
Speaker 4: At ARC, you've got a lot of the born to rule.
Speaker 5: Types, which well I call them that because they kind of are. But on a personal level, Nigel is someone that here's authenticity. He's down to earthners. He had the audience laughing more than anybody else, just because he is who he is and he stands for what he stands for and obviously being in the UK and speaking as the leader of the Reform.
Speaker 4: Party, he had everyone on the edge of his.
Speaker 5: Seat because you're quite possibly listening to the next Rome.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, and he knows how to give a stab speech, does not Oh yeah, baraj And he actually said it his sixtieth birthday party that he was the only bloke on gb News who does his show without auto Q because it's a bit hard to read when you're half pissed.
Speaker 1: Very good.
Speaker 3: Well, on that note, let's get into tonight's program. We all know that Donald Trump does not miss when taking potshots at his opponents. Wait until you see his latest meme taking aim at slackers within the public service.
Speaker 1: It's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Plus, we'll get to what's making news tomorrow, including more revelations from Tony Burke's citizenship extravaganza and the cost of living crisis doesn't seem to be affecting people in our national capital. Wait until you hear what the paper as a reporting public servants are spending on furniture. All of that when we look at tomorrow's news. But first, dignitaries gathered this week just gone in Darwin for the commemoration of the eighty third anniversary of the bombing of Darwin. Japanese bombs rained down on that city, killing two hundred and three thirty Australians and wounding four hundred. So it's a pretty important anniversary. And it began predictably, like landing a jet on Virgin Airways at Sydney Airport with a welcome to country. They're welcome to country went fully five minutes. You can imagine what that was like for people sitting in the Darwin sun. And then after that, well every guest speaker knew exactly what was expected of them.
Speaker 7: Jana nelivid no Niji respect, gelimerg and Billy Lira Daoba Nari.
Speaker 2: I give our.
Speaker 7: Respect to the Laroche of people, elders, men and women, to all first nations custodians present. I also pay my respect.
Speaker 5: Can I acknowledge the Larakaia people and pay my respects to their elders past and present?
Speaker 3: And I acknowledge also, of course the Larakaa people whose soil it also was if the adversary had succeeded or.
Speaker 6: Was lost, like to acknowledge the Larakaa people, the nutritional liners of the land on which we meet.
Speaker 8: We meet in Larrakia.
Speaker 3: Kadri and James, thank you very much for your welcome country, and I shee quite a few friends from the Larrakia people.
Speaker 8: Bila Bara, good to see you.
Speaker 3: Seven speakers in a row all felt the need to acknowledge local Indigenous people before they spoke about what they were there to commemorate. But then, like a cool breeze on a hot Northern Territory summer's day, the Chief Minister, Leo Leah Finocchiaro goot up to the podium and she spoke.
Speaker 9: I'd like to pay special acknowledgment to the veterans here today, to territorians, to serving men and women, to the families and descendants of survivors, ladies and gentlemen, but also importantly to our children well.
Speaker 3: Q outrage Labor MP Manuel Brown said the Chief Minister's failure to acknowledge Indigenous people was quote very concerning concerning how what was he worried was going to happen? What's he afraid of not to be outdone. Local indigenous elder Richard Fedjoe Senior told local media that the Chief Minister's o mission of acknowledgment of country was quote disgraceful. I kind of think that if you have to divide Australians into black and white at every public ceremony, that's kind of disgraceful and very concerning. But to the Chief Minister's credit, she did not take a backward step in the.
Speaker 1: Face of criticism.
Speaker 3: She told media and I quote, I'm proud to have acknowledged veterans at the bombing of Darwin, and as Chief Minister, I represent all Territorians. There is absolutely no need for every speaker at an event to do an acknowledgment of country. And in fact, the repetition that people are so used to under labor is less impactful. Caleb, she won the election last year, but when she's up for reelection, I'll tell you what, she's got my vote just on that.
Speaker 6: Well, though, you'll have to move to the Northern Territory first, but I look forward to you going through.
Speaker 2: With that promise so you can go and actually vote for it.
Speaker 6: But it's what she says at the end of that sentence that the repetition has made it less impactful, which is what I've been saying for so long that you know, if you had an occasional welcome to country performed by an Indigenous person at a major event, we'd all sort of move on and not particularly give a rats about it. But it gets shoved down your throat everywhere you go, and it's not good enough to have it once, You've got to have it twice, three times for seven times in this case, right.
Speaker 2: And I've felt this for years that you.
Speaker 6: Know, you have an acknowledgment at the beginning of an event whatever, but then everyone gets up afterwards and feels.
Speaker 2: Like they need to say it. Well, the acknowledgment has been done.
Speaker 6: I mean it's implicit in that acknowledgment having been done that everyone agrees that we've now acknowledged the people who are in the room, or perhaps not even in the room. You don't need to all do it. And the reason they all do it is not because they actually mean it, but because it has become the pro form a thing that you do when you get up to speak.
Speaker 2: And so if you're only.
Speaker 6: Doing it because it's expected of you, it literally means nothing. It's not an acknowledgment of Indigenous people. It's an acknowledgment of the fact that you are expected to acknowledge the Indigenous people. I mean, it's almost like rote learning. You just haven't see it into your brain. And then every time you now, if I speak.
Speaker 4: I'm and I add my respect.
Speaker 2: So there's no point. There is absolutely no point to it.
Speaker 4: Get over yourself.
Speaker 5: You don't have to add yours, just not while the first person does it, and call it quits. They had exactly the same situation.
Speaker 4: This years ago.
Speaker 5: I went to an ANZAC dawn service at Willara Council. Name and shame, baby, you guys ask for it, exact same thing. Every single person that.
Speaker 4: Morning wasn't about the ANZACs.
Speaker 5: It was about pain, respects, pain, respects, paying respect for crying out loud. I was ready to scream. This was before the days. I just started audibly booing people right. And here's the thing. It's at the particular events that matters, because what it is doing is detracting from the actual purpose.
Speaker 4: Of the gathering.
Speaker 5: You may have heard, if you're watching the Anti Semitism Summit, an audible grown when Drayfus got up and decided it was a good idea that it was an appropriate.
Speaker 4: Setting to do a welcome to country. No, it's not.
Speaker 5: You are co opting somebody else's worthy cause for your own little hobby horse.
Speaker 4: It is inappropriate.
Speaker 5: And when we talk about the Battle of Darwen, we are talking about to this day, the nineteenth of February nineteen forty two. We are talking about the singus biggest attack on Australian soil by a foreign power. The japsent two hundred and forty two aircraft in two separate attacks that bombed the port of Darwin to smither greens. Thirty of our aircraft went up in frames. Eleven of our ships were sunk. And this was of course during World War two, to make sure the Allies couldn't use it as a base anymore. Ports are very important. We know that what winds, wars, logistics, and nothing is more important than a port during wartime. So this is an important day. It is as sacred as Anzac Day, Memorial Day. And as you said, six out of the seven speakers waste time making it about like what we're on stolen land. For crying out loud, We were trying to defend it.
Speaker 6: Stop on the Japanese Joyce's point, you reckon, they would have cared about the local indigenous.
Speaker 5: I mean boom for crying out loud, Just boom when we are trying to commemorate, celebrate, recognize people who gave their lives for our freedom, et cetera.
Speaker 4: And so on.
Speaker 5: These kind of important events have no time for the people that try and co opt it with this nonsense. Maybe if it's NDoc week, there's a time and a place.
Speaker 4: This ain't it to shut up?
Speaker 3: This episode, though, proves why everybody does it, because the one person who does not do it, that's all.
Speaker 1: You hear about.
Speaker 3: We don't know anything about what the Chief Minister spoke about. In fact, we probably would have forgotten this event was on had it not been for the fact that she neglected to perform. And perform is such a great word because it is performativenowledgement our country. It's amazing how this has become compulsory in just a few short years. I remember, I don't know, I guess it was fifteen twenty years ago, working for an organization. They were holding a big conference and they were debating should we do an acknowledgment of country for the first time?
Speaker 1: The question once upon it was a question should And I remember.
Speaker 3: And I was ahead of my time. I sat at the desk and I said, just be aware if we do this once next year. If we decide not to do it, how will that go down? And of course now they have to do it every single year because the moment you don't, it's disgraceful.
Speaker 1: It's very concerning your erasis.
Speaker 6: And a maid of mine is on the board of an investment outfit and he was asked at their agem a couple of years ago to give an acknowledgment of country before he spoke to their investors, and he said, I'm not going to do that. He said, who do you think.
Speaker 2: Our investors are?
Speaker 6: You know, largely older Australians, mostly conservative people, and you want me to stand up in front of them and give an acknowledgment of country?
Speaker 1: Is it that?
Speaker 6: He's absolut ridiculous And so we didn't do it, and that's what we need to do.
Speaker 2: We need to push back.
Speaker 6: It's okay to not have to specifically point out other people. And that's where the jig is up because they say, you know, indigenous manage. So it's a disgrace that I was not specifically talked about in that speech. Well what about every other person who lives in the Northern territory? They want special treatment? That's the point, Yeah, of all.
Speaker 5: The premiers, I mean she's the chief minister, but same thing if you're talking about the Northern Territory, of all the premiers Australia wide, to actually stand up to this virtues seedling nonsense, it's the chief Minister in the Northern Territory saying that I've had enough.
Speaker 4: To Germany now, where.
Speaker 5: They've just had their federal election and tell you it's a meal over there. They've got six hundred and thirty people in their Bundestag, which is their federal parliament. So unlike cass we've just got one hundred and fifty one in the House of Reps, seventy six in the Senate.
Speaker 4: These guys, there's a lot going on.
Speaker 5: But as we knew would happen, the Conservatives have come out massively on top. The Christian Democrats have gotten almost thirty percent of the vote. But here's the thing. They don't have enough to majority rule. They've got to now cobble together a coalition in order to rule. So you'd ask yourself, okay, what seems like the best thing to do at the moment. The former ruling party, the SPD, they won by such a landslide. They posted their worst results since World War Two. Talk about a historical defeat. You've gone from being the ruling party to losing so badly. They are now in tatters. So you'd think that the now ruling party, the CDU, would go, well, who came second, They seem like the best bet to form a coalition with and now rule. And in Germany, who came second was the AfD with about twenty.
Speaker 4: Percent of the vote.
Speaker 5: Now together they would form a very comprehensive parliament.
Speaker 4: And while the CDU is sent to right.
Speaker 5: And the AfD is considered far right, I just say they're legends, but it's a matter of opinion. The CDU is refusing. They said they will form a coalition with the party who literally just lost by a landslide before they even consider partnering up with the AfD.
Speaker 4: What a slap in the face to the German people. So the ruling.
Speaker 5: Party that has just been tossed out the window posted their worst results since World War Two. They have just been tossed out so comprehensively. And now the guys that did get up with almost thirty percent of the voter saying we're going to pony up with these guys. I mean, Germans must have their head in their hands right now. This election had eighty four percent participation rate. They don't have mandatory voting over there. Eighty four percent participation rate, which is the higher since nineteen ninety, which was the reunification of Germany. So everyone was like, let's get on board, let's get to the ballot box. Germans want to see drastic change in their country, most noticeably on immigration, that's no secret. And the CDU prior to this election, we're trying to tighten up the immigration laws. But they got newke by the SPD and the Greens, so now they're in power and they're like, we're going to team up with the SPD. I would be screaming my lungs out if I was German right now.
Speaker 3: It's amazing how the AfD that's the alternative for Germany, have been characterized as far right when really their key policies are they not. They want to be free of the European Union. Yes, Germans doesn't run their own country rather than be told by Brussels what to do. And they want to crack down on illegal immigration and particularly asylum seekers who are in Germany committing crimes. They have stabbings almost every week. There's been terrorism recently, and that's not an uncommon thing. Now, those wouldn't seem to be far right. And for people to say, well, you know, Germany's moved far right, I would argue, no, German leaders have moved away from representing Germans, and Germans simply want their country back.
Speaker 1: If that's far right, I think a lot.
Speaker 3: Of people not just in Germany but in western countries right around the world would consider themselves the same.
Speaker 5: In the Netherlands, Kayler, people were voting for geart builders. We heard the same in France when they were voting fully penned, they're all they're far right. Absolutely, Oh disgusting, it's nonsense.
Speaker 2: Well o F.
Speaker 6: Schultz who is currently the chancellor, and Liz was just telling you about how well he did last time and how bad he did this time. He's put it quite six sinkly before I carry on, take a look at this.
Speaker 8: The last time the election result was better and I was partly responsible for that, and this time the result is bad and I am responsible for that as well, and I want to say that. But what's important for me to say from this position is to congratulate the cd U, c s U and their chancellor, candidate Frederick Mertz, and congratulations on your election result, and.
Speaker 6: He mentions merge. There he he is saying we've won this election.
Speaker 8: We have won this election. I'd also like to say a word of respect for political opponents. Yes, the electoral campaign has been it's been necessary when it came to debates to really focus upon the many important issues facing us, the economy, foreign security policy, migration of internal security. But now we're going to speak to each other and as soon as possible we need to get a viable government together.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: As for why the cd you wouldn't join up with the AfD, I think it's got a bit of the whiffs of what may will happen in the UK between the Tories and Reform about it, where existing political powers don't want to seed ground to a rising rebel power that could well come in and take their power away from them, so they say, okay, well, instead of letting them in, what we'll do is actually marry up with who are essentially our ideological enemies in.
Speaker 2: Order to protect ourselves.
Speaker 6: Why would you not say, okay, these are the people who perhaps We don't agree with them one hundred percent, but we agree with them a.
Speaker 2: Lot more than we agree with this mob over here.
Speaker 6: And sure they're rebels and they've come through and they've taken ground from the rest of us whatever, but that's where the future is going. And if it's all good and will to say, okay, well, we're not going to do it this time, or form a government with someone else. But I think in the long term you'll be punished for that in the same way that if the Tories don't wake up to themselves and go, okay.
Speaker 2: If we are in union with the Reform.
Speaker 6: Party, we've got a much better chance of a continuing to exist and b creating a government than that can defeat labor in the UK.
Speaker 2: Surely that is a good thing.
Speaker 6: Why would the CD you not go, well, let's join up with closer ideological mates to achieve better INDs for our country.
Speaker 5: And it's so shortsighted because and the same will happen if the Tories don't come to their senses in the UK is because.
Speaker 4: In three short years.
Speaker 5: Their AfD have doubled their share of the vote. They went from ten percent to twenty percent. Because people can see the decline of Germany at a rate of knots, and they want these people, though they're smeared as radicals, to turn the country around. Now you've got the CDU who were slapping them in the face.
Speaker 4: Should they just pony up with their SPD.
Speaker 5: People are going to get more of the same, okay. And so by the next federal election in Germany, as the AfD have already tweeted, because the writings on the wall, you won't partner with us. Come the next federal election, we are going to wipe the floor with you, as we did at the state elections, which is why Chancellor Schultz, Chancellor no More, called this snap election. He put up a vote of confidence knowing it would lose in order to call this snap election. That's how bad things had gotten. He was his own party had fallen together, the coalition that he had put together had fallen apart, and he was left.
Speaker 4: With no option but.
Speaker 5: To basically put up a motion of no confidence in himself called this snap election. So the AfD, noting how well they've done in the polls and seeing the writing on the wall and the state election, which is what caused this kerfuffle in the first place and just saying, fine, you don't pony up with us.
Speaker 4: You wait.
Speaker 5: Come the next federal election, Germany will be begging for us and we will answer the court.
Speaker 3: The other interesting thing about this is the Christian Democrats have won the election with twenty nine percent, but I believe that's the first time they've ever got less than thirty percent. So they've won the election, but I mean winning with a declining primary vote, and maybe the reason is because they're considering partnering with the Socialist Party who were just voted out, which is this conservative light that people around the western world are so frustrated with. To your point, in the UK, that's exactly the problem with the Tories, that they were conservative lights.
Speaker 1: In Australia, we're going to have the same issue.
Speaker 3: And if you don't want to well, far right parties will then take care of things like sovereign borders, take care of things life, listening to the will of the people rather than trying to please globalists. It's not difficult to head off the far right if you simply look after your constituency. Governments haven't been doing that. And one final point, the AfD you said they doubled their vote in.
Speaker 1: Just three years. Absolutely true.
Speaker 3: But I mean they only began in twenty thirteen, so in twelve years they've gone from not existing to having twenty percent of the primary vote. Shows just how much anger there is in countries like Germany about what's been allowed to happen under left wing progressive government.
Speaker 6: And it's anger at the people who've allowed that to happen for years and years and years and years and years. It's the same reason that Albanezi his government was elected with the lowest ever primary vote for a government in Australia, because there is declining confidence in those major parties because people can see in front of them.
Speaker 2: What's happened to them.
Speaker 6: But I've got to say, how good is the German language? Like I love that their parliament is the Bundestag.
Speaker 2: Mean, where else in the world do you get the kind of language you get out of the Germans.
Speaker 3: But those two guys the least charismatic I know politicians.
Speaker 2: Where was the German hood spa you normally get out of them? I better get up and go.
Speaker 6: And it's such a violent language in so many ways you would have thought perfect for being a politician.
Speaker 5: Having that calm interpreter steals from it make it.
Speaker 6: Look like you've got some passion when you're just saying, well, I went down to the shops today. Let's go over to the UK, which of course we're talking a little bit about before we brought you the story a few weeks ago that the Starma government in the UK was basically telling Apple that they had to hand over the data of all of their customers. They asked for a backdoor into the iCloud system that would allow the UK government to literally look at everything that you were storing in the cloud, photos, documents, ie messages, et cetera. The government would be able, with no questions asked to go in and look at anyone's data at any time. Now, Apple, to their credit, said we're not so sure about that. So they've come up with a workaround which has now come through in the UK, which is, instead of giving the government the back door that they wanted, which would have presumably given them access to your data in Australia or the US or wherever you might be as well, they have decided to end proper end to end encryption in the UK. So if you're in the UK and you're using an Apple product. You can no longer have proper end to end encryption, which means if the government wants to get access to your data, they can do so, but they have to go to Apple and ask for permission to do that, because if it's into end encrypted, it means not even Apple can access it. But this was a major plank of the product that Apple was offering, that you had absolute security of your messages and your photos and your data, etc. And no one else would be able to access it. Then mister government comes knocking and says, no, I don't like that. Now I can underst and like governments may not like that because of course it makes it harder to fight crime. But you've got to think long term with these things. Today it's because you want to stop pedophiles. Tomorrow it's because you've got a social credit system and we've got a backdoor into all of your data and we want to know whether you're saying bad things about the government. Good on Apple for not going the whole hog here and allowing them to have it. Elon Musk said on his platform mix that it would have happened in America if Donald Trump had not won, and to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised by that at all.
Speaker 2: I mean, we talked about this a few weeks ago. The precedent it would.
Speaker 6: Set if the UK was able to get that level of access, because you can bet your bottom dollar, every other government would start asking for it. But the worst part of this is that we know that Apple has done this, but we don't actually know entirely why they've done it, because under the UK law, it is illegal for Apple to even talk about the fact that the govern came to them and asked for a backdoor into people's data.
Speaker 3: It is in such and that's the part that screams sinister right that even the government requesting this power has to be kept top secret. That should ring alarm bells everywhere. It's an amazing thing where Apple have withdrawn a product from the market rather than comply with a government request.
Speaker 1: And I suppose they had to.
Speaker 3: Firstly, for the reason you said that this would set an incredible precedent, not just in the UK but around the world, and not just for Apple but for all tech companies. But second, this is asking Apple to absolutely destroy their integrity with customers that they would offer end to end encryption, but then secretly comply with a government regulation requiring end to end encryption to be disclosed to government.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, hats off to Apple for doing this in order to keep their integrity basically.
Speaker 4: And trying to make a way around.
Speaker 5: This order in such a way that also that it's.
Speaker 4: Only exclusive to the UK.
Speaker 5: What the UK government was essentially demanding was all.
Speaker 4: Access to any data in the iCloud.
Speaker 5: So we're talking your text, your photos, your voice, memos, absolutely everything on your device and what's not on your device. If I have access to what is on your phone, I know exactly who you are, what your priorities are, what you google, what you spend your time looking at. I know what kind of toilet paper you buy. Because I have access to your bank codes, I have access to everything. So what the UK was asking for was this ultimate power to have access not just to the UK users data, but worldwide.
Speaker 4: So again, what Apple's pulled off here.
Speaker 5: Is saying okay, we've had to ditch end to end encryption, and to read their posts about this as well, they are so sorry. They are legitimately saying, hey, look, we fought as hard as we could. This is what we eventually came up with. But this is the best we can do by you. But it's UK users only. Everybody else's end to end encryption is still in tact, so it's it's a win for Apple, but everyone in the UK should be switched onto this because even if this failed completely, this is what I say about when our government puts up their misinformation disinformation bill.
Speaker 4: They've shown their hand.
Speaker 5: You know what they wanted if they could get it. You know what they tried on okay, and so UK uses now no, that is the extent to which this tyrannical government wanted to do this. Michael Schellenberger, a regular on Sky He tweeted today the UK seems like a free nation.
Speaker 4: It's not.
Speaker 5: It's run by a tyrant Prime Minister Kirs Starmer. Shame on him for his totalitarian demand and bravo to Apple CEO Tim Cook for defying the government. Please share this to warn the world that UK is no longer safe for free people.
Speaker 4: And sorry to say, but is he wrong?
Speaker 1: I don't think he's wrong.
Speaker 3: But while the UK government can't get access to people's encrypted data, seems like we might get access to Jeffrey Epstein's client list. Here's Trump's attorney general Pam BONDI have a listened.
Speaker 10: The DOJ maybe releasing the list of Jeffrey Epstein's clients.
Speaker 4: Will that really happen.
Speaker 10: It's sitting on my desk right now to review. That's been a directive by President Trump.
Speaker 4: I'm reviewing that.
Speaker 10: I'm reviewing JFK files, MLK files. That's all in the process of being reviewed because that was done at the directive of the president from all of these agencies. So so have you seen anything that you said, Oh, my gosh, not yet. I was briefed on that yesterday. I can't talk about that that publicly, but you know, President Trump is given a very strong directive and that's going to be followed.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, so a lot of documents. Yeah, all right, so people can expect actual movement on this.
Speaker 1: It's not just empty promises.
Speaker 10: Donald Trump doesn't make empty promise, right, I think. I think promises made promises, Captain. That's why we're all there to carry out his directive about making America safe and prosperous.
Speaker 3: A lot of people very excited about this list being made public. Although when I was fifteen years old, there was a TV special beamed.
Speaker 1: Right around the world.
Speaker 3: El Capone's secret vault was exploded open live on television. One hundred and eighty one stations broadcasted. You know what they found in his vault? Some dirt and some empty whiskey bottles and that was it. So I don't know the I thine thing could be a bust anti time.
Speaker 6: Why do you think the bloke just magically died in prison. I don't think it was because he had some empty whiskey bottles of dirt in a vault somewhere. I think the bloat knew a lot, and that's why, of course they don't want this to come out. There must be people in the US, actually not in the US, all over the world, and I don't thinking about some people in the UK who we know have been linked to mister Epstein that would be looking for a new set of underwear at the thought that this list will be revealed, because we're talking about people who are associated with Epstein of course before he was convicted, but also long after he was convicted, Prince Andrew being one of them who was seen publicly with him after he was convicted.
Speaker 2: There is a.
Speaker 6: List, as long as you're arm, which hopefully we will see of the people who associated with a man by going to his private island on his plane, where he would entertain them, and the ways he would entertain them. I suppose we may well find out. We certainly know what he was up to on that island with his mate Gulain Maxwell. But these are some of the most powerful and richest people in the world. We need to see this list. We want to see this list because it's going to lead to some very uncomfortable questions. I suspect data that has been released though out of South Australia which has led to a stroke of common sense, would you believe it is exactly how bad the youth crime crisis is there. Of course we talk a lot about Victoria, we talk a lot about Queensland, but South Australia is in the grips of a youth crime crisis as well.
Speaker 2: Data that the Advertiser collected under.
Speaker 6: Freedom of information shows that nearly twenty five thousand children or teenagers were charged with a crime over the past five financial years, and so thank Heavens, Peter Malanawskis, the Premier, has personally vetoed plans to increase the age of criminal responsibility. Of course, the age of criminal responsibility at the moment is ten. There was a report done last year that suggested it should be raised to twelve. He has not that on the head in acknowledgment of what is going on at the moment. Good on him, but I suppose we should also ask the question what about Victoria, because they are raising the age of criminal responsibility from ten to twelve. There was then meant to be another increase to fourteen by twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Cindra Allen seems you've gone a.
Speaker 6: Bit cold on that now given the youth crime crisis she is facing. But the fact remains that they are increasing it to twelve. You've got a labor government in South Australia that says no, that's not tenable, but one in Victoria.
Speaker 2: That arguably has a worth you were sorry.
Speaker 6: Youth crime crisis, that thinks it's okay to increase the age of criminal responsibility as if a ten year old. And we're talking about here thirty children aged ten to eleven or twelve who were charged with sexual offenses.
Speaker 2: Which is shocking.
Speaker 6: But you can't me that tell me that a teen year old doesn't understand the basics of what is right or wrong.
Speaker 2: By ten, you know what is right.
Speaker 6: Or wrong, and if you are committing a crime that deserves to be charged and taken off to the youth court, then ten to eleven twelve, who cares you should be facing a court.
Speaker 1: It's a really good point.
Speaker 3: Anybody who's raised kids knows very well eighteen ten year old has a very good understanding of what is right and what is wrong. It might not be nuanced, but they know what's right and what's wrong. The other thing about this that I find hilarious is that you've got these left leaning governments in Victoria in South Australia who in the Act, who keep wanting to raise the age of criminal responsibility, and yet very much in favor of children being able to elect to have a sex change and take puberty blockers. So they can't tell the difference between right and wrong, but they do know they've been born into the wrong body.
Speaker 1: That's just an astonishing leap of logic.
Speaker 3: And of course, with these figures released Caleb, there's no way that they could carry through with raising the age of criminal responsibility when you've got data showing twenty five thousand kids committing serious crimes over just the last five years. You can't have that data and then say we're going to raise the age and then have the Attorney General, as he did today, say we won't tolerate groups of young people committing violent acts and putting the community at risk. Well, you can't have it both ways, so they've got to leave it at ten. In South Australia and Victoria, if they were smart, wouldn't go through.
Speaker 5: Well, it doesn't make sense for DEVI eight, does it. It's like a COVID thing. All the science wildly difference between states. Look either a ten year old nos or it doesn't, and therefore any state or territory that raises it that is a nonsense. Whenever this comes up, I'm reminded of the tragic case of James Boulger. It was a toddler who was murdered in cold blood by two ten year old boys in the UK. I believe it was in the eighties, but I'm always reminded of that case. Those boys knew exactly what they were doing, and this whole idea that kids don't and that they could carry out a heenous crime, oh, unbeknownst to me that it was wrong, is just factually incorrect.
Speaker 4: It's like asking us to deny that men are men and women are women.
Speaker 5: Oh, a ten year old doesn't know single ten year old who isn't aware at that stage that sexually assaulting someone like you say, insane amount of these assaults are sexual in nature, which begs the question, what are these kids being exposed to online on their TVs? This is a case of monkey see, monkey do. No child is actually like, Oh, I.
Speaker 4: Know what sexual assault is and I'm going to carry it out. No.
Speaker 5: No, they've seen something, They've heard something they've been exposed to.
Speaker 4: Their little minds have.
Speaker 5: Been exposed to something they shouldn't have been.
Speaker 4: And they're carrying it out.
Speaker 5: You could say the same of the boys responsible for James Bulger's death.
Speaker 4: But it makes absolutely no sense.
Speaker 5: I'm glad it's been trashed in essay and every other state has all the data they need to go.
Speaker 4: This is fogus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to go to a break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we look at what's making news tomorrow, including fresh revelations about Tony Burks citizenship extravaganza that's coming up.
Speaker 1: In the moment. Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow. Okay, we've got the Daily Telegraph.
Speaker 2: Indeed I do.
Speaker 6: And what an indication of how far we've fallen from the biff we used to see on the footing field. It says on the front of tomorrow's Daily Telegraph that a couple of Canberra Raiders players are over in Vegas had a bust up with inflatable bats.
Speaker 2: Yes, you heard that right, inflatable bats. Sounds like five. They've been disciplined for that. Apparently.
Speaker 6: I don't know when I did that stuff as a kid. My parents were just glad I didn't have my fists out. But the other story on the front of the Daily Telegraph says Burt gave his own window. Home Affairs Minister Toney Burke directed his department to schedule industrial scale citizenship ceremonies during a window when he was available to personally preside over almost thirteen thousand people becoming Australians. Well well, well, the Home Affairs Secretary made the admission in a heated Senate Estimates hearing as a fresh war of words exploded over mister Book's citizenship bonanza, and the Teley goes on to say that they've looked at the data on where all these people came from who were sworn in over the weekend as Australian citizens, and almost all of them come from marginal seats.
Speaker 2: Happy it isn't that funny.
Speaker 6: And of course we heard today about how d Lee was not invited the member Independent Member for Fowler was not invited to any of these ceremonies, but the Labor candidate for Fowler was a number of other Labor MPs were invited along. But they said to die that she wasn't invited because it wasn't held in her electorate. But all these MPs came from outside of They came from their electorates to go to Home Bush. You know, you couldn't get any more blatant. And then they're putting up videos from the AEC instructing people on how to go and enroll for vote.
Speaker 2: Like you couldn't make it any clear.
Speaker 3: I thought the Albanizi government didn't care about citizenship ceremonies, didn't They say.
Speaker 1: To local goals as as you don't.
Speaker 3: Do it on Australia, just don't do it on the twenty six or whatever you want.
Speaker 2: It's up to you.
Speaker 3: You have the power to all of a sudden. They're seizing control and saying we will do it. This is not surprising at all that Tony Burker organized this when he was in town.
Speaker 1: In fact, he.
Speaker 3: Took three days off and he's got a pretty big portfolio.
Speaker 1: I must say them to have a.
Speaker 3: Spare three days to be an Olympic park shaking hands of new voters.
Speaker 5: Indeed, although I always laugh when people get really upset about this stuff, like Peter or people reporting it like really stern face, like isn't this They all do it? Okay, I hate to tell you your team does it too. It's like branch stacking, it's like pork barreling.
Speaker 4: They all do it.
Speaker 5: We love to bash labor and it's not our team. We love to bash the other guys. But don't think for a second the Libs don't get up too. Similar to the punk prage of the Herald Sun now wrong Track exclusive, Victorians reject SRL, ranking it last behind airport, rail, housing, and none of the above as state's priority project. The Allen government signature suburban rail loop project has been ranked last by Victorian voters in a new poll of most urgent state projects. Just sixteen percent of voters back to the multi billion dollar SRL, compared with thirty six percent who said the Melbourne Airport rail should be a priority. So support for it's at an all time low and this is costing them billion.
Speaker 3: The surprise to me in this story is that only thirty six percent of Victorians say that a rail link from.
Speaker 1: The airport to the city is important.
Speaker 3: I would have thought it would be a lot more people than that trying to catch an uber or a taxi from Melbourne Airport, or you've got that skybus which you get a lecture on the way into the city telling you that you're on land that has never been seeded.
Speaker 1: You compare that with Sydney. When you arrive at the airport.
Speaker 3: Here you get straight on the train or the metro as easy as you could imagine. Only thirty six percent of Melbournians think they need a rail line from the.
Speaker 6: APAs to it now and it's maybe the same when it is it's the same in Brizzy.
Speaker 2: You can get straight on the on the train there same.
Speaker 5: When he throw can I say jumped on the train? He throw half an hour straight off.
Speaker 4: And into the terminal. It was incredible that.
Speaker 6: You go the international city that is Melbourne Hey and the suburban rail loop. I think the original cost was what thirty four billion and then it would be another fifty billion to run it over the first fifty years. A billion dollars a year to run this thing. How sixteen percent of Victorians wanted? I mean, could you find a bigger waste of money?
Speaker 3: You know the funny thing when you mentioned the cost of the suburban rail link, you go googling trying to find what does that cost again?
Speaker 1: And you have to trawl through so many ucs. It keeps changing up.
Speaker 3: Stated just when you think you know, but there's been a cost flow out.
Speaker 4: Now it's there.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the front page of the Newcastle Herald.
Speaker 3: Really sad story much loved fishermen had shark online when pulled overboard police say shark dragged man over and I guess that's why it makes front page. I mean, it's a sad story when anyone drowns, but the factor shark was involved. And curiously, there's not the suggestion that he was eaten by the shark. He was just dragged into the water by the shark. Fast moving currents have hampered the search for the missing fisherman believed to have been dragged overboard by a shark off Port Stevens. He was involved in a game fishing tournament when he apparently hooked a shark on Sunday.
Speaker 1: The fishing gear.
Speaker 3: Became tangled around him and he got dragged into the water and his body has not been found. So really sad story in a really strange way to.
Speaker 1: Die.
Speaker 5: I do love the way that Ozzie's rally in these situations though, so because of the currents, the search area has blown out to fifteen hundred nautical miles that's very big, and forty boats of just everyday Puntz have joined the police, spreading out trying to cover every inch of it to find him, but no success.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I always think in these cases, what must go through your mind when you see that coming, Because of course, if you've been dragged overboard and you're all tangled up in your line like you know something's about to happen, it's not like you just got hit like a bus like that all over and you don't really remember, like you've actually got to face the fact, then you're probably about to die.
Speaker 2: I just being more terrifying than that.
Speaker 6: Let's go to the front of The Australian Tomorrow, where a funny story law firm staff.
Speaker 2: Fury at email pay leaks. You may have seen a bit of this over the weekend, but we have a development.
Speaker 6: Legal giant Slater in Gordon has been forced to set up a formal process to deal with angry staff who have been able to compare their pay and performance ratings with those of their colleagues thanks to a quote unquote malicious email the firm suspects was sent by a disgruntled current or former employee. The top ranking class action firm has called in police and foreign experts to investigate the origins of the email, purportedly sent by interim Chief People Officer Marie Ruitz Matheson, But of course missus ruitz Matheson on Monday said that she didn't send it and claimed that a cursory examination of the email and its attachment gave a clear indication as to the likely identity of the sender.
Speaker 2: On and on it goes.
Speaker 1: I don't think it.
Speaker 6: Particularly matters at this point who sent the email. The fact remains that everyone and Slater in Gordon now knows what everyone else is earning and what their.
Speaker 5: Performance All nine hundred and six.
Speaker 6: Can you imagine what their weekends would have been like, the phone calls, the text messages.
Speaker 2: The emails flying around.
Speaker 6: It's possibly like the worst thing from an HR perspective, that could ever happen in a workplace.
Speaker 4: What a way to leave?
Speaker 1: Where to go to a break? When we come back?
Speaker 3: Donald Trump's latest meme about the public service slacking off does not miss will show you that in just a second.
Speaker 1: Welcome back.
Speaker 3: One of the things that amazes me, Liz about Donald Trump is that he can do so much. I mean, he's making all these executive orders, but.
Speaker 1: He's still got time to tweet memes.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's the new language of the future. If you don't know how to treat means, are you a world leader?
Speaker 4: You would have heard that DOGE is.
Speaker 5: Going through the federal employees books, booting as many people as they possibly can, in some cases closing down entire department. Seventy seven thousand federal employees have to date accept a Doge's offer just to be bought out. You'll get eight weeks pay. They're literally paying you to leave. And so Elin muss issues and new edicts to those remainings, saying explain what you did in your line of work, in your department. Explain what value you brought to the table over the last week. This, of course, sparked incredible fury amongst federal employees who are convinced that they do earn their dollars.
Speaker 4: Which was cut short.
Speaker 5: By Trump's meme which he said to truth social list of there's a picture of SpongeBob SquarePants. If you're not familiar with him, what have you been doing with your wives? But there's a list saying got done last week, parodying what these federal employees would then be forced to hand to Elon Musk. Point one cried about Trump, point two cried about Elon. Three made it into the office for once, four read some emails, five cried about Trump, and Elon some more so. While the conservatives are laughing about this and the Trump administration and Doge is enjoying every minute, Elon Musk has in fact tweeted that if he doesn't hear back from these employees justifying their existence in the employee of the government, he will.
Speaker 4: Assume that they too have resigned.
Speaker 2: And they're all.
Speaker 1: Crying about this.
Speaker 3: But Trump won an election promising to cut waste. You'd think if you were a manager in the pub service, you would have implemented a productivity component to justify your existence.
Speaker 2: Two things I wonder about.
Speaker 6: One, when Richard Dawkins coined the word meme to talk about genetics, did he ever think it would end up becoming an engineered joke? And two, In the Art of the Surge, which is a great documentary looking at the inside of the Trump campaign for the presidency the second time round, he's often shown directly dictating to aids what to post on social media. I want to know if Trump actually came up with this himself and read it out to someone and said make the SpongeBob meme and put.
Speaker 2: It I reckon.
Speaker 1: I probably did.
Speaker 3: That's all we've got time for tonight stick around.
Speaker 1: Coming up is The Reader Penney Show. Good Night,