Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Daily Telegraph and URL podcast. Well, Dave and I have a spring in our step, and it's not just because we've got a lovely new studio set up here. For those that are watching on YouTube. For those that are listening, check out this episode on YouTube because it's very flash. But more importantly, don't worry mister glass House over here.
Speaker 2: I'm wearing black cove in morning.
Speaker 3: It should be in morning.
Speaker 1: Morning was one of the worst seen in Origin for the Queenslanders.
Speaker 4: It was was the worst first half we've sent for Queenslin. But you know we're going to the cold Caudron now, Mick, and that's.
Speaker 2: There. You've got to wipe it Stralia. You're good to move on. Dave. Serious, you can't win up there. Six of the last seven we won.
Speaker 3: Up there, so that will.
Speaker 2: We trust to quote Billy, we're Queensland.
Speaker 3: Whatever that means. Okay, so you've quoted Billy.
Speaker 2: That means well you should know what it means.
Speaker 3: What it means.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of weird ones from Billy throughout this series. First it was David defered, got dropped and took it like a true Queenslander. I'm not sure. I sort of get that a little bit, but it's a bit weird. Then last night he was asked a question if he's going to make any changes for the team for Game three, and he goes, no, I haven't thought about it, but we are Queenslanders, and then crad Walter, from to his defense, goes, what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: And Billy I just I.
Speaker 5: Just got the sense that Billy was just trying to get out of that press conference. He was swimming for answers and it's bizarrely that came out of his mouth.
Speaker 1: It was strange because the first bit of the answer was fine, yeah, no, you haven't thought about it.
Speaker 4: Let's get through this really big on beating the chest about being a Queensland and playing for the jersey and playing for the stadium.
Speaker 2: He always I get.
Speaker 1: That heys probably getting after getting punk, probably not the time, but even in his pregame, in his pregame interview with Cameron Smith, he spoke.
Speaker 5: About the how the entire state of Queensland are so proud of this side, and that was before the game.
Speaker 2: At times it feels like it's almost too much.
Speaker 5: I agree, don't think you should know you're the Queen like it makes us.
Speaker 4: I think he's done, like he's done an amazing job. That's not the part of that is this build building, this unity, unity, unity in the state behind this team and just constantly ever had a problem though well, there's been moments where you know, this whole, this whole furfy that queens has never turned on their team or coach.
Speaker 2: It's rubbish. Of course we did. Of course when we lose, like everyone does. We just haven't lost.
Speaker 1: Happened more cast let's wur cast now that we're onto this game three, pick and stick right, this has been None of this has been. This has been the fabrication of Queensland throughout origin's entirety. That New South Wales, they lose a game, they hang everyone out to dry. New South lost five changes? What do we budget in?
Speaker 3: How many changes will Billy?
Speaker 2: Mate?
Speaker 3: Mate?
Speaker 4: I think you make maximum two? I think maybe Dave for feed to get to look in. So when Cobbo comes back, who for well, for Feeder, probably for Sewer, i'd imagine. And then Cobbo maybe he's maybe he's on the bench and that bench roll again.
Speaker 2: I don't he won't.
Speaker 4: Make wholesale changes because we don't have the depth to make wholesale changes. Queens then don't have the options. You've got to remember no Fleggler, No Tommy Gilbert, no Tino And they missed those courts because they are the aggressive alpha males in that forward pack. They missed him last night Leam Martin bullied them, bullied them.
Speaker 1: We're just to stick on the changes for now, so you look at these are the potential guys that are in the mix.
Speaker 3: Ezra man does he does he come in for Didon?
Speaker 2: I think he's I think he's a chance.
Speaker 3: It was pretty close.
Speaker 4: I think it's a chance. It wouldn't surprise me if he brings an Azra as well.
Speaker 2: But I think I don't. As I said, I'm don.
Speaker 1: And I said this before game one, you guys ridiculed me. I would not be having Valentine Holmes in the team. His club form has been diabolic.
Speaker 2: Six tackles.
Speaker 3: Last night it transferred into the Origin arena bull.
Speaker 2: Before.
Speaker 1: We won't get will. I'll be picking picking what's that?
Speaker 2: Four changes?
Speaker 3: That's what I like.
Speaker 1: And that has been awesome for Queensland, right, but he's he's been so for the North Queensland this year and that form went into last night.
Speaker 2: Can you see Billy dropping him?
Speaker 3: Well ed, he's dropped that gag bay before.
Speaker 2: That was before the series began.
Speaker 5: From prior to Game one, guys Valentine Holmes was struggling up at the Cowboys and Queensland selectors certainly made contact with Valentine to say, listen, look, you need to pull your socks up. We want to pick you. Help us make you pick you, and make us pick you.
Speaker 3: And and you.
Speaker 5: Know, he came together with about two weeks remaining before Origin one and was able to get chosen.
Speaker 3: And I think I think everything that would.
Speaker 5: That they were concerned about as far as his defense is concern came to the fall last night.
Speaker 3: I can see him being changed. I agree.
Speaker 4: I don't think it matters what you do with the backs unless you find a way to match new said laws aggression and power in the middle of the field.
Speaker 1: There's only one player that can do that, Dave.
Speaker 4: Dave's not a explosively.
Speaker 3: But he's the guy that commands attention.
Speaker 2: I thought Dave should have been there from the start.
Speaker 5: It's a mentality, it's the aggression to mentality.
Speaker 3: Why are you raising this now? Because it was fine in Origin one when the stakes were desperate, but.
Speaker 1: Were desperate Origin one a little bit of a false economy too, considering what happened was absolutely and the loes wasn't that bad. You know who you're missing and it's not it's peak Forlice CAFUSI.
Speaker 2: R like, yeah, he had a bit of that, he's a bit of that.
Speaker 1: He had him definitely right, and that's no one's been able to find to get into that role again, Like Felice's best is obviously passed him.
Speaker 4: And Gilbert of the sort of god and they can all I get that performed that right, It's got a bit of that in him.
Speaker 3: No doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 1: But you're looking for someone like Felice and that that has gone past police now. Right with respect to Felice, it was an awesome player for for a long time. I don't know. I think they're the I'd be depends on how mars as well, and he's injury, but gag I straight in for mine. That's that's a no brainer. And I'm fine on a spot for Feeda and then otherwise.
Speaker 4: I'm not dropping. I know he had a poor night, but I reckon he's done the job. For a long time, and Dane did as well. But you've moved on from Dane. Why And I thought about this knee jerk reaction. I'm like, bring, You've got to bring gaggle in.
Speaker 3: Reaction from this is for mine.
Speaker 1: They've given vow, they've given him the respect of allowing him to play in the opening two games and he was so poor last.
Speaker 5: So the difference is this Fredy where you know exactly what the Blues are going to do. It is one of the most potent sides on the footy field, that left hand side Leui latrelle brian to and that's the same the identical left edge that was in twenty twenty one when when the Blues smashed them in Perth?
Speaker 3: Was it twenty one? Sorry correct if I'm wrong, But it is the same twenty one.
Speaker 2: Left edge trod and played in three years, So that's right.
Speaker 5: So the Marines know exactly where where they're going to come. Valentine's defense hasn't been there this year. It hasn't been there this year, so he can't just flick a switch. They're going to if he gets chosen again. Their role the dice on him doing a better job of defending against Latrell.
Speaker 3: That's a massive dice to roll.
Speaker 5: The gag guy is an out and out experienced origin center who has the defensive capabilities to potentially shut Latrail down loads.
Speaker 3: As I am to tip you how to pick a team.
Speaker 4: I was going to help you advice from a couple of most to.
Speaker 3: Me would last night. What do you mean Valentine wouldn't been in my team?
Speaker 2: Okay, look, that would have changed that, correct.
Speaker 1: That's it's like the loss is not on val As you said, ready, it's got to start in the middle of the field.
Speaker 3: They got to show some aggression.
Speaker 1: They got a match Leam, Martin, Payne, Harsh and my lord and you know, I think Michael.
Speaker 3: MacGuire was I had question marks over Cam Murray.
Speaker 2: Not as a player he was great.
Speaker 3: Not as a player.
Speaker 1: Obviously, right, but the fact that he played forty nine minutes since May at the beginning of May, comes out and plays fifty minutes straight last night, and the speed of his playable Andrew Johns was just banging on about throughout the converage last night.
Speaker 2: It was all downhill for them.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 5: Of course I'm going to give you another tip ready, just to help you out. You've got to flip your wingers because you can't have Murray to a lungey on Zach Lomax and Xavier Kate's on.
Speaker 3: Brian thought, well, I think I believe that's the least because and one where he got on a step ladder to lungy.
Speaker 2: Okay, can I give you this? What about this for an idea? How about when ship fell.
Speaker 3: To the wing?
Speaker 1: That's the play gag on. I was thinking that too. If you want to keep out, I think you got to keep keep him on the wing. You blay him on the wing, and which I would have an issue with.
Speaker 3: And then which is where? Which is where? He was the world's best winger at one point, and.
Speaker 1: He's good under the high like he's got that aerial reach as well.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have an issue with that.
Speaker 4: But I just think you've got to start. I think Dave, for feed out coming back is a lady down. He's got to come back date because he's big physical guy.
Speaker 5: As you said, get what you're saying, but I mean he's still waiting for the footy. He's only going to be He's not imposing himself on the Blues.
Speaker 1: He's not the player that they're missing to fix what happened last night. But he's dying to have Yeah, of course i'd have him in flight. It was weird that he wasn't even in the tween.
Speaker 4: Man's But the other thing is we're going to Sun called boys and as I said, we've won six of the last seven.
Speaker 2: There not many news teams have gone up there and decided and won.
Speaker 4: And as good as that win was the other day, some corps, you guys know, some corps a different beast.
Speaker 2: It's a completely different beast.
Speaker 1: It's a good challenge for this new, massive.
Speaker 4: Challenge for them and they can what we're going to say.
Speaker 3: I threw this out on Twitter last night.
Speaker 5: New South Wales has recovered just three times three times to win a State of Origin series after.
Speaker 3: Being down one nil.
Speaker 5: Right, They won Game two and Game three in ninety four, two thousand and five and twenty nineteen. And the Marines have also won nine of the past ten deciders, with the Blues just one, winning twenty nine eight.
Speaker 1: And how many of those were in Brisbane too? Maybe twenty four was definitely in Brisbane.
Speaker 3: They're huge statistical advantage for Queensland.
Speaker 2: They are are they are this was a bad defeat that the Blues will win though.
Speaker 1: So what about Michael McGuire's five changes. Everyone said Michael mcgire hit the paddic button. I think we all agreed that, No, he didn't hit the panic button. And this was the side except for Latrell. Right, Patrol played himself into the side over the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: But a lot of people thought he should have been there for this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Mike mcgai didn't. No, outside of I don't think you should have either. Outside of.
Speaker 1: Outside of Latrell, those four other players Michael McGuire would have picked in game one, and I was as far to say, and you guys will well know they probably better than me that you know, a full picking an origin side in April, Michael Maguy's halst parent would have been Mitchell, Moses and Nathan Clear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, mate.
Speaker 4: So feeling that was terrific, wasn't He was.
Speaker 3: His best performance ever, his greatest career performance. Joey, you have it a nine out of ten.
Speaker 2: It was just about ten.
Speaker 4: Even defensively he was outstanding in his kicking game. I mean that's what they spoke we spoke about before when we were talking about him coming back in the team. Was his kicking game and how good his kicking game is, and it was light and shade compared to Nico in the first game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was.
Speaker 4: It sort of set the tone right the way he basically kicked him to death, and then it was just a carve up from there. I mean, you know, Mitch is probably it's probably had his daughters at origin level over the years, and he's never really grasped it or owned.
Speaker 3: He's pretty good, honestly, to be fair.
Speaker 1: But this night he did, and he produced a performance that Nathan Cleary hasn't.
Speaker 3: Yet on the original.
Speaker 1: That's a good call, Mick, And I'm not forecasting what's going to happen next year, whatever the case.
Speaker 3: Well that was interesting.
Speaker 2: Are you just declared that Moss be the TV to the clearing next year?
Speaker 3: Well that was interested.
Speaker 5: That was raised post match on nine and Joey John's discussed that how it's going to be a match race for the seven jersey.
Speaker 1: Well, if Michaelai has his way, there'll be six six seven.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but Joe, as Joey said, he's concerned about what that If that actually worked.
Speaker 1: Let's get three Game three but sorry, so I look at it, we're looking at the dynasty.
Speaker 2: Stop it.
Speaker 3: He was great, though, Mitch outstanding.
Speaker 4: It's so good. There's been difficult year with injury, difficult year of club level, but he just he just don own owned the biggest stage in the game.
Speaker 3: Para fans would be frustrated. Was that I'd love to see that every week?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably, He's been pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah a guy well paramatter fans would have been excited about a guy you wrote about in today's papers Plomax, Dave. Should he just put his hand up and say I am the world's best winger? Just leave me there?
Speaker 3: One hundred percent? He should?
Speaker 5: I mean, Zach just walk into Dragons training today and just say, Shane, you were right, you were rightologized.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, but you were right. Maybe you should apologize.
Speaker 3: Well, let's be honest.
Speaker 5: Let's break it down. He asked for a release because he didn't want to play on the Winner, took a pay cut. He's taking a pay cut and leaving Saint George Laulewarra to go play in the centers. Is it a fader complete that either Jason or was doing young Trent Barrett or Josh Hannay actually put this bike on in the center's at Paramatta.
Speaker 3: You can't cannot play him at center.
Speaker 2: Of course you can.
Speaker 3: He walks in.
Speaker 5: He is now, he's now the favorite to be the test winger at the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I picked I picked him last week. He's been outstanding.
Speaker 4: He's I understanding, he's been outstanding. But they've signed him as a center.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that was.
Speaker 1: What he the old coach Ke or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 3: And they have will Or Bensony and Lace to Lungy.
Speaker 2: The centers and his fullback.
Speaker 3: Maybe Zach to not move him. He's making such a difference.
Speaker 1: Even when he's played at the center for the Dragons this year through injury, he hasn't had that same interview. He I can't remember a winger you have to go back to like Wendo at his peak and LORDI at his peak. This is the type of performance that is producing at them. He's making. Bryan Told has been great, Josh had Carver, the years have been great. Brett Morris was the best wing I've ever seen, right, but not even those guys had an impact.
Speaker 3: On the game.
Speaker 1: You love the Morris bo Brett Morris best wing. I'm saying, okay, most complete wing on the.
Speaker 3: Issue with maybe.
Speaker 2: On it was Wendell.
Speaker 1: Wend was great, he was come on, man.
Speaker 3: The knock on Zach at center was it.
Speaker 5: He overplays and he's trying too hard to come up with a play that creates something for either his winger or himself effectively.
Speaker 3: But on the wing, he only has simple choices to make.
Speaker 2: Yeah, leaping leap like.
Speaker 3: He is the best leaper in the game.
Speaker 2: This was unbelievable.
Speaker 5: It's kick for the night. His yardage carries have power and strength. He can finish a try low to the ground. He has an enormous kick when he needs.
Speaker 3: To use it as well. He could win a daily end and some other realms of possibility.
Speaker 5: Well, if he's dominating for Saint Serious, Yeah, well, he'd be pinching all the majority of the points for saying.
Speaker 2: Ben Hunt's probably on a few, I'd say.
Speaker 1: Yea, but he's just I've never seen a winger than.
Speaker 2: Ben Hut would to pinch.
Speaker 3: In rounds one and two, Zach took out both man of them.
Speaker 2: Where was he on the.
Speaker 1: He's okay, but.
Speaker 3: I've never seen a winger have such influence on the game.
Speaker 1: Wingers have been great finisher or great carriers or whatever. He has been changing gamesaelgwy.
Speaker 5: I said something interesting postmatch about how the mentality of Zach now is that he's going after the big moments and he pointed to his goal.
Speaker 3: He's goal kicking from the sideline.
Speaker 5: Nine mcg You've got to know all these goal kicks from the sideline, and I think that shows he's capable of handling handling the big moments too.
Speaker 3: Real maturity is game now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh no, no, don't. I don't disagree with Green. He's been outstanding this year, been fantastic. If they play him on the wing.
Speaker 1: If you're a coach at Paramatta, yeah, well.
Speaker 2: When you look at their options of the centers, So why is that going?
Speaker 1: What do you mean if Paramat are going to play him on the wing. He probably didn't think they're going to playmone when he signed.
Speaker 2: We got there's a better chance to win the comp there as well.
Speaker 5: Maybe, so he's he going to get the ships and leave Paramatta too.
Speaker 2: Well, you would hope not.
Speaker 4: He would hope not because he look a bit silly if he then turned around and backed out of the deal that he's committed.
Speaker 3: There honestly, really, if you're the coach to paramatter.
Speaker 2: No, I understand, I understand when you look at that team, but.
Speaker 3: Any team, like, how can you not pick him on the wiki? What was Zach Clomax on at the Dragon? I think it gets about eight hundred. Actually doesn't know he's now currently playing like an eight hundred and fifty nine hundred player. Yeah, and he's gone well for six fift and he's gone for six fifty.
Speaker 2: That's life, right.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you sometimes you make calls that, in hindsight probably weren't the best calls.
Speaker 1: You got any of those?
Speaker 2: Ready, oh man, every.
Speaker 1: Day every day.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I'm sure he doesn't regret he's going to a team that, Okay, they're running last at the moment, but I'm sure.
Speaker 1: There's a little bit of regret. Regret you're going to throw away min dollars.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you just need to put your ego in the pocket.
Speaker 2: Read man, he's got to live, he's got to learn to live with it.
Speaker 3: You've got to take oh.
Speaker 1: He hasn't complained though.
Speaker 3: Look, you know, he's created his owner decision and stuff. But that changes.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but he hasn't complained, and good luck to him for not making a move based on money. Yeah right, but yeah, if i'm paramatter, i am keeping him.
Speaker 4: It's good looking back line. That paramounta back line with him. You look at that back line they played till he had fullback and you've got Gutho and Penosini and him and Mitch and Dylan Brown. It's a it's a premiership challenging back line.
Speaker 2: I think I'm not sure about the Ford.
Speaker 3: Issue.
Speaker 1: So we'll put Ready out of his misery. That's origin chat done for a little bit tough morning.
Speaker 2: You don't understand, you guys, what it's like being Queens and we're not q.
Speaker 1: It needs a bit more to us, it always has, but we're not Queenslanders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't feel two weeks time, don't get origin.
Speaker 1: We don't get it.
Speaker 3: That's okay, what is it? What is that?
Speaker 2: I'd love him to explain what exactly, Well.
Speaker 3: You should try.
Speaker 1: You guys are best. Are the NRL news broke yesterday? Stefano Tookmano potentially out of the West Tigers. Ready, can you talk us through that situation?
Speaker 4: And yeah, So basically he's got those clause in his contract that have been well documented. If he doesn't play two Origin games this year and the Tigers missed the top eight. He's a free agent at the end of the season. There was obviously not gonna play two Origin games this year and the Tigers looked like they're going to miss the top eight. Sore at a meeting with Shane Richardson and Benji Marshall a Tiger's headquarters with his wife yesterday. Basically that meeting, Tina I said, I'm majority of my footy at the moment. I like the way the club's heading, but I want to see what's out there for me and I want to see what my options are in the open market. And the club rather than waiting until they're mathematically out of top eight contention, which is technically when he's a free agent at the end of the year, they go and see what's out there for you. Now they've obviously put an offer in front of him five years, four million dollars extension and come back to us in a few weeks and we'll tell us how you feel. So that's what's kicked off now. Tino Stefano's now or his agent is exploring the open market and seeing what's out for him and He'll have plenty of interests, is no doubt about that.
Speaker 1: I think a mature decision from the Tigers, smart decision the Tigers to not give up hope.
Speaker 3: But he knew this was going to happen.
Speaker 4: I think they actually left the meeting Mick more hopeful than they were before the matting. I think they heard some pretty positive things from Stefano and his wife about the club. No, but the issue for Stefanna was he's heard this same message now from Tim Sheen's justin Pascoe, Michael Lea.
Speaker 2: You know, everyone's tell him.
Speaker 1: The same thing.
Speaker 2: Vision, we're heading in the right direction. This club's going to turn, We're going to win. And it gets to a.
Speaker 5: Point where the history's against all that exactly, and the kids sitting there going well, I've heard this all.
Speaker 2: Before and it's not about money.
Speaker 4: For him, it was you know, he's he's got a significant offer on the table right now from the Tigers.
Speaker 2: He just wants to win. He wants to go somewhere and win.
Speaker 5: Joel Caine, a former West Tiger, was quite outspoken earlier this week, declaring that the West Tigers should never have had the meeting and should just pull the extension.
Speaker 3: Now, if you.
Speaker 5: Can't see where this or if you want to be if you don't want to be part of what we're building here, so bad off you are.
Speaker 3: Well, that's fine, that's fine, you just walk out the door.
Speaker 4: I don't think he's definitively, definitively said I don't want to be part of it.
Speaker 1: But if you did that to him, you said a deadline, or you put these things on him and just go okay, yeah, sweet a huge market. With all due respect to the Tigers, Well, Joe Ka, I don't think that would have been the right player. The Tigers have done the right thing, the mature thing, where they said, okay, we know we're not going to make the eight. You haven't got those origin clauses. So instead of wait until September or August, laid August to make this decision, let's get some clarity in it. And that's not going to stop the Tigers from going around and trying to sign someone because if they do, that money won't be there. So they're doing the right thing as well. And there's no guarantee that if this drags on a little bit, that that money will still be there because the Tigers aren't sitting on their hands. The Tigers are doing the right thing.
Speaker 4: I think that's been made clear as well, that they've said him and his management go away, see what's out there for you. There's no guarantee that offer is going to be there. Will we might spend that money while you're while you're out.
Speaker 3: Who are some of the clubs that are circling.
Speaker 5: Ah, we've clearly heard. Look, I expect the Roosters, the Raiders, the Panthers, Storm Storm, Dragons, Dragons, Dragons, Doggies.
Speaker 1: Doggies, Yeah, yep, yep, Dogies.
Speaker 3: Potentially a long list. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The issue is he wants to go to a team it's a contender.
Speaker 1: Which does that rule out?
Speaker 4: Rules out a fair few. I don't think Camber helped their cause at the weekend. I think if Camber had come out of the weekend and given the Tigers a touch up, that would help them. But losing the way they did, I think that's probably hindered them a little bit. I think, you know, I think the Dogs maybe two months ago, I don't think he looked at them. I think the Dragons maybe two months ago wouldn't have looked at things that change.
Speaker 2: Both those clubs look as though there they're.
Speaker 1: On the app Dogs dogs are firing. Yeah, they're a prop and a half away from really competing.
Speaker 4: So I think that that's helped their cause. Pend with and Melbourne obvious ones, right, they're always in the mix. The Roosters as well, so.
Speaker 1: He'll are plenty of options a few other players that are on the open market at the moment. Angus Croydon sensational last night. Does his vay just keep going up or what like? It's such a strange situation where you know, the Roosters sort of stood by him last year and this year I was sort of not sure Dave Feeder was signed over the top of him, which would have squeeze him out that Dave Theeder's backley. Is there any sort of doubt in Angus's mind about staying at the Roosters or.
Speaker 2: I think there is.
Speaker 4: I think there was, Yeah, I think they're close to a deal now, but I think there has been no doubt, And I think at one point he was resigned to going, you know, he was on.
Speaker 2: The radio of other clubs.
Speaker 4: But I think he wants to stay and I think there are reasonably close to getting something done there.
Speaker 5: I know this deal is close to getting done, but Angus stops rising every week.
Speaker 1: The point in rushing and to re sign, well just because you're off contract to get it sort of certainly, and an injury happens.
Speaker 3: But you're right, Pa, last night he was so good.
Speaker 1: Just his physicality, well he just it hasn't been synonymous with angers, that physicality, like he's always been a good whole run over, but he man handled Blakes last night. And then finally, Entrepreneur, do you have an update on him as well?
Speaker 4: Well, he's just waiting for Angus to make a decision on his future and then he'll he's obviously gone to he's been given permission to go to market.
Speaker 2: They've had a look around again. Loads of clubs keen on still.
Speaker 1: A few clubs and Sport Confidential that you're interested in him.
Speaker 2: Well, man's the man.
Speaker 4: He's an obvious one that's quite keen on him because obviously he got the Josh Shuster money.
Speaker 2: But he fit in there.
Speaker 1: He plays plays an edge, whether the edges look what.
Speaker 2: Look can also move still he could play in the middle and they can.
Speaker 3: The Galeen Morning edge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so but he's got he's waiting for Angus Crichton's future to be resolved and then they'll go hard on the open market expansion.
Speaker 1: Boys just quickly another development yesterday.
Speaker 5: So it's been ratified by the Commission yesterday that we're going to twenty teams in the future.
Speaker 1: Well I don't think they specifically, but yeah, decided it will be. Yeah, it will be.
Speaker 4: They basically said, hey, come to us, show us what you got pitched to us.
Speaker 1: To consortiums will be eighteen per nineteen p twenty two determined.
Speaker 2: I suggest South Island, New Zealand.
Speaker 1: A second team in New Zealand is most like the Bears.
Speaker 4: What's happening with the Bears? Mick, Wow, you've been all over this. What's going with the Bears?
Speaker 1: There's obviously give them some hope. The hope is that people are still talking about them. But the Bears could lose the unlosable here potentially where the Western Australian government have essentially been told that the NRL's preference is that they partner with an East Coast team, and originally most everyone thought that was going to be the Bears, and then the Jets have come in the background a little bit and really gained momentum over the last couple of weeks a race horse shit John Singleton as he said, it's come on board and said he prepared to do what it takes. There's other investors now that are worth millions of dollars of multi millionaires and have come on and said they're going to tip in if it's just the Jets. And if you speak to the people in Western Australia, their preferences to go it alone if they're forced to go with the East Coast side, definitely their preferences the Jets. But there's no doubt the Bears have some heavyweight support led by the commissioned a ped of land Is and I think that's where the Bears have the advantage because the decision makers are those that want them to bring the Bears back. But the Bears just need to temper their expectations, i'd suggest, and Newtown aren't asking for anything, you know, maybe one game or definitely a preseason game. Henson or Henson's not up to scratch. I'll play it at Leichhard or somewhere in Sydney. But they're bringing with them lots of cash. The Jets.
Speaker 5: The obvious topic that everyone discusses when we talk about expansion is is there enough depth in the competition to have more teams? And I think the Dolphins have proven just and I think it's proven to the Commission as well.
Speaker 3: It's open their eyes to the fact that this can work. There is enough talent.
Speaker 5: What the Dolphins have achieved is extraordinary, I believe in the first two seasons. And I actually go back to the last week's Under nine ENS game. I thought the standard of that Under nine NS game was that the path, pathways and quality of talent below NRL is ready to go.
Speaker 4: The only shure I have David this talk they'll go per twenty seven P and G twenty eight and to find sixty players in two seasons, I think you've.
Speaker 2: Got to space out a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: I don't I think maybe twenty seven to twenty nine. I don't think you can get twenty seven to twenty eight. I think that's too much strain on the player.
Speaker 1: And complicating that is that PNG's a hard sell. So if you're bringing the team in before PNG, which looks like the case, there's thirty players that they don't have access to and they're going to need all the help they can get to a track.
Speaker 4: Players, Well, they need to get their pathway set up and start churning out some footballers.
Speaker 1: They will just ten years away that best best case scenario. They are doing that in their defense. They are setting up those pathways and the like. Get us some questions, boys from Jym zap How do we change the seven tackle set rule so it only self flies to people deliberately kicking the board dead.
Speaker 2: Sure, mate, and this is my real change your burner account. That's burner account for him.
Speaker 3: If you've been listening, I think bigger things to tackle.
Speaker 5: See what happens is the questions come in and Mick Carry is our executive producer of the show, and so he vets them, but also categorizes them and ranking order.
Speaker 3: And he's gone with his rule.
Speaker 1: That's the most important question we've ever had.
Speaker 3: Support, Jim zapf. I've said before, and anyone else is listening, don't ring in, don't email.
Speaker 5: Don't text questions about rule changes unless it's about disruptor.
Speaker 2: What about how mixes is going? Support, he's your mate. You've got him. Said that.
Speaker 1: I didn't get Barbie your house, said.
Speaker 2: Jimmy, send it an email.
Speaker 3: And putting on question a person because is gone. If you don't see has with with house.
Speaker 1: Current resurgence, can we lay blame for their form slap slowly on JD's feet he left, they improved.
Speaker 3: No, that's no, they've got players back.
Speaker 1: They got players. That does help be doing a great job.
Speaker 4: But all on.
Speaker 1: Seriage wants to know, Hey, guys, would you rather your state winning, State of Origin?
Speaker 3: Your club winning the premiership? Would you rather club winning?
Speaker 1: Well, I know, premiership everything out of the work, that's what this guy is going to say.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what you don't get Origin.
Speaker 2: Origin every day of the week, every day.
Speaker 3: They don't want the Broncos to win the comp. I'd rather it's been a while, you've forgotten what it's like to win a comp. So hang on. So Queensland when this, when this is Origin series, you're going to go off.
Speaker 2: I'd rather Origin, you know what, because we are Queensland.
Speaker 1: Billy.
Speaker 5: Every discussion post Queensland winning this series, when the Broncos come up right about winning content, queens don't care.
Speaker 2: I don't care. It was the question was what's your preference for a Queenslander. It's always been in Origin.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's for your retort after winning the C series and we're.
Speaker 2: Gonna win the series.
Speaker 3: This is what's happening.
Speaker 5: If you win the on board, if you win this series, your retort should But it doesn't matter if the Broncos don't win this year won.
Speaker 1: The series performing mate, I'm definitely team Premiership.
Speaker 2: You don't get origin easily.
Speaker 3: Easily? Why can't I have both?
Speaker 1: John d wants to know why would a Perth JV partnership work when the Dragons and Saint George Laurior is shown they don't work. Both clubs have controversy to their history together. Dolphriends have shown stand alone is the way to.
Speaker 2: Go, Dragons run a camp.
Speaker 5: When in twenty teniers ever since, both joint ventures have been a mess. Johnsy is absolutely spot on they do not work. You cannot force marriages. Really knows this, No he doesn't, but that couldn't be happier. That's to your point. Around North Sydney and Perth. I think the Jets work because the Jets aren't asking for anything. They're bringing stuff to the table. Yeah, and that I think it's going to be a tough sell.
Speaker 2: I reckon the issue with the other yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: I think the issue is the Dragons and Tigers. They're both sort of fifty. The Tigers are more Western suburbs and Balmain.
Speaker 1: Well, the Dragons try to be fifty to fifty by the fact Steelers not having any money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's started all Dragons and it's.
Speaker 1: Slowly infiltrated to slight the fact the Dragon Sat George had all the money. Yep, Steelers. You know, they're covering the Steelers debts and the like. Now with win there, really Saint George Lee's club should have just bought the Steeler share out.
Speaker 4: Anyway, that's the Perth Bears. I mean, this is part of the issue with the Perth Bears. The Bears want too much and they're actually not bringing a whole lot to the table other than her name.
Speaker 1: And a.
Speaker 3: Fan base and the like right where it.
Speaker 2: Don't need them, don't need them. The Bears need Perth. Perth don't need the best.
Speaker 1: And this is why P and G hopped off the Bears bus straight away because I like, this is all too much. We don't need you guys. So that's where the Jets are bring in but not taking. Yes, So that's so John T. One hundred percent ride. It's going to be very interesting, Johnty.
Speaker 2: When I actually keep going, I tell the story. Okay, good johnsy rides to creep. Just think I look like him?
Speaker 3: Could you feel like him?
Speaker 2: Is magnificent?
Speaker 3: You see the email.
Speaker 2: Less power or glasses?
Speaker 1: Hello, there are some emails. I got lots of emails this week, so thank you for all that. I haven't wants to know. Just wondering why there's been no talk about Malmininger for the Paramattic coaching job. Is he not interested in coaching in the NRL. I think I think that all.
Speaker 3: Went pear shape when Male was connected to the Sawski, which.
Speaker 1: Was only a short term Stinter. I don't think Mal's going to be. Male's not an NROL head coach anymore. That's south Stin appealed because he was only going to be for the rest of the year, and obviously he'd come at something like that, but not an NROL head coach. So that's why he's not linked there, and he's very happy coaching the kangaroos. All right, this was a long email, so I've just paraphrased this for Matt. He's been an Eels fan for forty two years. Remember for twenty five years. If they're being counters at the Eels club, he's been listening to hoops old. Mat think sacking Brad Arthur is a solution to the dramas. They aren't too smart. How did the current board keep their jobs? The fans and members had enough, They laughing stuff the NROL. I'm thinking of getting rid of my memberships for me and my three kids. Well, Matt, don't do that, Matt, I think says stays strong, make good time becoming. I think getting rid of Brad been sacked was the right decision. And now they're on a path to finding someone else, and I'll judge. I'll judge these guys on who they appoint next, because Brad was already there when most of the current management structure came in. So Matt, be patient and have some faith. I've got some faith in the guys making the decisions out.
Speaker 5: Maddie, I just take this into account. I think your question is speaking to you delaying the inevitable. Brad Arthur wasn't going to be the coach at the Paramatteriels in twenty twenty six, and so therefore the Paramatter board thought if that's not the case. And given the amount of players off contract on contract and when you need to make decisions on players' careers, they believed it was better to go now, knowing that he wasn't going to be there much longer, So rip the band aid off, get it done, and start this process for the future right now. And yes, it's painful, and yes, I could understand why Brad feels like that they went too early, given the amount of injured players that were on the sideline at the time of his sacking. But it honestly, I think deep down in Brad's mind he knew that he wasn't going to be there potentially potentially even next year. So I think I think it's a case of getting the train rolling now instead of delaying it another twelve toweight ten months.
Speaker 1: All right, interesting question here from Chris. The dominance of the Storm and the Roosters for the past decade, in my opinion, comes down to stability at the head coaching role. So both Robinson and Bellamy have been far less ambitious for new challenges than the previous generation was. In your opinion, what type of coach is more successful those like Robinson or Bennett who have stayed Robinson and Bellamy, or those who have sustained success in a long time, or those have gone for different clubs and brought success like Bennett. It's interesting, right where do we rank? Because I think Wayne Wayne ticks both boxes, Okay, because he's had success at Broncos for twenty of us want to comp at the Dragons.
Speaker 4: Yeps coach in the game's history.
Speaker 1: Arsel got into a prelium and then it fell apart, and now the Dolphins the eight this year has been an ausus.
Speaker 2: He's the best.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't necessarily think he's the best right now, but I think he's been. If you if you look at someone's career, he's been the best coach and teams of his career.
Speaker 2: But I think right now, Craig and.
Speaker 4: Robber, you can argue a potentially potentially better coaches than him right now.
Speaker 3: Look, I believe Wayne's the best coach we've seen.
Speaker 5: And I say that because of everything that Chris is talking about, how he has moved around to different clubs, found success at those clubs.
Speaker 3: Not every club.
Speaker 5: The Knights was a bit of a battle, but he did take him to the finals, and I think that's the greatest test of a coach to adjust.
Speaker 3: At a new environment. I'm a massive fan of Craig Bellamy.
Speaker 5: I think he's a champion fella and clearly an outstanding coach. However, I can't get away from the fact that down in Melbourne they are isolated, they are out of the spotlight. Craig can run his own race as far as training without any issue, no speculation of this player, that player's injury.
Speaker 3: And it's one of the major reasons.
Speaker 5: He didn't get to the Brisbane Broncos because he would have been coaching under a spotlight. And I think that's a major factor when you actually, you know, you think about every little.
Speaker 3: Miniature factor that makes up coaching.
Speaker 5: To do it in an environment where you can just do it on your own time, I think that helps your cause.
Speaker 3: And that's where Craig has at Melbourne.
Speaker 5: Robbo has had a hugely supportive board and financially savvy leader in Nick Politis to have a strong roster every single year.
Speaker 1: I think with the reason Wayne is the greatest, who is because of the reasons that Chris mentions, the fact that, you know, how do we judge it? I think there's something that can be said for Craig and Lay doing it for twenty years. If that's hard to try to stay relevant at the one but because can cherry pick, you can go to another club and just implement the same try and implement the same things. And there's a freshness to that anyway. But to stay fresh at the one place. But Wayne's been able to.
Speaker 3: Do that plus have success.
Speaker 1: And also when and if he comes out and wins a comp at South Sydney, like, no one's wont to camp as a coach at three clubs, right, that would be the ultimate my greatest clinice. Right, last question, boys, at what point from Josh, at what point does the NROL need to make sure that coaches aren't taking the mickey we're naming the team sell Anthony Seaboard named Tommy Tall on the wing, but played him in the halves. Cane Lord and Lord and a halfback played him in the back row. Jackson Barlow at center played him on the wing. Ohla blah blah blah. What's the difference in naming your front rowers on the wing At this point, I don't have an issue with it. It's a bit of like if it became a thing where every week they'll just name different players in these positions. But I actually don't mind those games a little bit where it's not clear.
Speaker 4: Like, you know, no one picked up the Tommy's I was playing in the halfs except you, buddy on the sideline, you picked it up.
Speaker 1: It was uit pretty obvious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was quite obvious.
Speaker 4: But mainly yesterday and he said, yeah Tommy, Tommy actually played school boys.
Speaker 1: And YE.
Speaker 3: Played Yeah that he started.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it was a little bit like I had the head start because you'd mentioned the fact that it might happen, and then when I.
Speaker 3: Was doing sideline, I saw it.
Speaker 1: I watched for it, right, But yeah, I don't I don't have an issue with any issue boys.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's right. That's not that's the thing, because that was.
Speaker 2: Taking the mickey to be an issue, But I mean.
Speaker 1: Voyage on the wing, you'd be like, what's going on, But the fact that there was such an unknown about that side. I think it works in that instance, but if it becomes a weekly thing, i'd be If it happens once or twice, you actually don't mind.
Speaker 5: It, to be fair, mate, You're using an example during the State of Origin period where mainly had a huge influence on both teams, and you know their changes were never going to be clear anyway, and given their current in jury crisis.
Speaker 3: As I said, it's not right throughout the game.
Speaker 5: Certainly coaches do it, and obviously the impact on gambling and when you're having a bed on a on a game, you want to get its close to the team that runs out. So if it was, if it was right throughout the game, but have an issue with it, but.
Speaker 3: Joshua with you just not yet.
Speaker 1: If it becomes a trend, then you know we'd definitely jump across it. All right, Boys Dinner, Women's Origin. Tonight's get to be a beauty so down watch that'll be awesome. So we get a chance to have Thursday Night forty to It's weird if there's no Thursday Night for you but been a Thursday Night forty tonight? What are we watching? What are we eating with it?
Speaker 5: Well, Thursdays are tough for me because it's it's the.
Speaker 3: Last caring, but I get around them.
Speaker 5: It'll be something easy. I think we're going to go just down the chicken wrap path. Now you know when you go the chicken wrap, do you go the full lebonones bread.
Speaker 3: Or the Woolworth style rap depends.
Speaker 2: On what.
Speaker 4: Pe Lemonese bread. It's too thick, it's too yeah, have that sort of thing bread. Yeah, because I'm.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I love so lucky.
Speaker 3: But I'm not just going to box chicken rat which.
Speaker 2: What are you on?
Speaker 3: No? No, it's you get a little bit of homits on there. Oh yeah, and then some roasted yeah. Touch and chili. I love chili fresh chili there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, it's almost like a barn me.
Speaker 3: You're getting closer to know anyway.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: About you, Rednner.
Speaker 4: Yes, oh, I'm sorry so last night no no, no, sorry?
Speaker 3: And what did you do for original I dinner? We had a good feed.
Speaker 1: Why say? This is a Greek dish Clara made like I used to making ashes taken over. It's called cleptical, which is stolen lamb. It is amazing stolen lamb.
Speaker 4: We just steal it from the theft.
Speaker 1: So good, I'll send you there. It's actually easy to cook. I don't know why it's called stolen lamb.
Speaker 2: It's just marinated and something or yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like in a castle rolled dish. It's slow cooked and it is with cheese. This like this feta cheese and this other Greek cheese. We're on air, which is awesome. It is so good.
Speaker 4: We had I had chicken wings in their forg and stuff because my yeah not Christian enough but chrisp what sauce, buffalo and a little bit, a little bit.
Speaker 2: Smoky barbec. So my sister in law was down with my nieces.
Speaker 4: My brother in law stayed in Brisbane, his blood Adam, but the sister was down with the kids. And the youngest daughter plays rugby league. Okay, so she's going to want to watch the women's game. So I think what we'll do.
Speaker 3: Is you want to watch the women I want to watch it.
Speaker 2: But we'll probably go out for dinner. I think we might go to.
Speaker 4: Alice is dumpling and manly, which does Chinese. I love dumplings, Yeah, it doesn't. Doesn't just do dumpling.
Speaker 2: It's Charlie dumplings. Yeah, dumplings are very good. So I think that's what we'll do. We'll have to go out for dinner.
Speaker 3: Alice, she's a good chef.
Speaker 2: Alice is outstanding.
Speaker 3: What did you have last night? It was rare.
Speaker 1: We were home for origin, which is very rare.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well I had a MUSLM and curry.
Speaker 3: Oh lovely chicken. Yeah, that's the buzz area. Is that like a takeaway? Man made? That's it.
Speaker 1: So thank you for joining us for another edition of the Daily Telegraph Errol Podcast and ready to go to blues h