Speaker 1: Good, your bloody champions, welcome to another installming that you projeck Tiffany and Cook's been away. She's been just wrapping up awards all over, winning prizes, putting on frocks.
Speaker 2: Very out of character.
Speaker 1: Will come to the lovely Amelia in a moment, but quickly we'll say hello, tiv, Hello.
Speaker 3: Hi, and we're read high heels. Don't forget those bad boys like a real woman.
Speaker 4: I know, Hell, did you?
Speaker 2: How did you feel in all of it?
Speaker 1: How did you feel getting out of your boxing gloves and your bloody, sweaty, stinky gym ware into a frock and high heels.
Speaker 4: I couldn't get enough of it. In the end, I wore some sequins as well.
Speaker 2: Fucking now, I'll call the cops and did you you were looking for? You were looking for.
Speaker 1: A cocktail dress? Did you end up going for a cocktail jumpsuit or something?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I wore the jumpsuit that I had for my previous event. Because it's very stressful shopping.
Speaker 4: Amelia, Is it stressful for you? Shopping?
Speaker 5: It's such a shit job it is. I hate it.
Speaker 6: I absolutely hate it, and I always end up ordering too much stuff and half of it doesn't fit, and then it's such a house sort to send it all back.
Speaker 5: But I do love a jumpsuit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a good little silky black one. Thanks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they work well.
Speaker 4: I have a complaint. Three buttons on the back of your neck like a little chocol You've got to undo them.
Speaker 3: To have wi Yeah, they have this little bit of you can't.
Speaker 4: I've had other people, strangers in the bathroom spending fifteen minutes trying to de robe me so I can have WII.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a little leakage accident waiting to happen, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I'll be back.
Speaker 1: I'll just go get a coffee, Like if anyone needs me, I'll be in the hammock.
Speaker 2: Don't let me get in the way.
Speaker 5: Don't worry.
Speaker 6: We're going there early, Craig, and we ain't we ain't coming back.
Speaker 1: Don't you two, Like for the first time in your life, don't you too? Just wish you could, you know, just zip down something at the front and for doush. Yeah, and then so much easier, so much, so much, yeah, so much easier.
Speaker 6: Especially after four children. Gosh you really yeah, after four children, the time between needing to go and actually going diminishes, and so you got to know where those bathrooms are and don't make me laugh too hard whatever you do.
Speaker 2: Oh jeez, now now I'm going to be thinking about that now.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm going to be honest to me, a jumpsuit seems kind of like fancy overalls.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's cheating, but everyone thinks it's a dress. Oh, you're not nice in your black dress. I'm not not a dress winning.
Speaker 1: Well and and they and will get to you emelily.
Speaker 2: You probably think. And why the fact did they ask me on this show. They haven't asked me a question.
Speaker 6: If you want me for fashion advice, I'm just going to hang up now because that's definitely not my area of expertise on my zone of genius.
Speaker 1: And now, tif you did? You did emty yourself in a little slam. It's not slam poetry. It's kind of almost like slam storytelling story slam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and of.
Speaker 1: Course representing team Fatty Harps and Team Roll with the Punches and Team TIV.
Speaker 2: Of course you brought home the bacon.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm partial to winning anything that I entered. I went in strong. I do love a bit of competition.
Speaker 1: Did you backstage just look at everyone else and go, fuck you.
Speaker 2: Did you just walk? Do you have a bit of that energy? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I was like, I don't know if you're aware, but I punched people in the face so it doesn't go my way. And the prize was a solid chocolate microphone. So these steakes got risen real high.
Speaker 2: Oh god, do they know? Do they know that you? Do they know about your addiction?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Exactly, the world knows. Are you competitive, Amelia?
Speaker 6: Yes, Oh my gosh, and like really competitive even with my own children, Like I won't let the three year old win, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty still that's child abuse. I didn't know that that's great parenting.
Speaker 5: I disagree with you.
Speaker 6: I think it's raising really resilient kids. My husband pointed out to me, I can.
Speaker 5: Turn anything into a competition.
Speaker 6: Like I'll literally be all right, ear all in the bath, I'll be okay. The first person out of the bath gets the big dry bath towel. The rest of you have to get the wet but small wet butt.
Speaker 2: A game child abuse? How old are your kids? What's the range?
Speaker 5: I've got four their age between.
Speaker 6: I got a twelve year old, a ten year old, a nine year old and are now seven year old.
Speaker 1: Well that's I mean, at least they're all kind of bundled. I mean, what's that a five year four?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I had four and five years and that was kind of I don't know what I was thinking at the time, but I just kind of we ripped the band aid off and just got them all out. And it's nice because we're in the sweet spot. We're in the golden period.
Speaker 5: I call it.
Speaker 6: We've got no unpredictable toddlers, we've got no moody, stinky teenagers. I feel like this is as good as it's going to get. I reckon, it's downhill from here, Tiff.
Speaker 2: I feel like you were screwing up your face then.
Speaker 3: I was just going to say, I think, Amelia, actually I think I'm in the golden period.
Speaker 4: I put a cat and the dog.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, true mate, No matter what. Yeah, No, you're so right. The problem with children is once you realize it's too late, there's a no returns policy.
Speaker 2: To Lord Smith, that's true. You probably No, you can't, Tiff.
Speaker 1: Did you hear Doctor Bill the other day talking about toxoplasmosis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I edited that and I turned half an ear away, so I didn't have to listen and think about that. I knew you'd bring this up with me and try and ruin my cat life.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just saying hashtag get rid of the cat, that's all. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: Do you know that? Do you know Amelia that?
Speaker 1: Well, they don't know exactly, but minimum thirty, maybe fifty percent of people in the world have this parasite in their body that once it's in your body, you never get rid of it. And it's from cats. It's from a few sources, but mostly cats. Shout out to our cat listeners. I'm not saying don't love your cat, everyone, I'm not saying get rid of your cat. I'm just reporting the sign, says per doctor Bill Sullivan. Yeah, so are you an animal person?
Speaker 5: We have a dog?
Speaker 6: Yes, I love animals, don't I must say? We don't have a cat, although I did have one growing up, So I'm sure that I'm probably riddled with this horrible sounding thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably not.
Speaker 1: All right, tell us about a little bit about you, so for my audience, don't know you. What's your job, who are you? What's your background? The Amilia give as much or as little as you want.
Speaker 6: Oh well, I'm a big fan of yours, Craig, so thank you so much for having me on the show. And I know we kind of share a lot of the same values, although you might swear a little bit more than me.
Speaker 2: But try harder, try harder.
Speaker 6: I've been in their health industry for twenty six years. I'm an exercise scientist by trade and a nutritionist. I've got a master's of Human Nutrition. I was the co founder of the Michelle Bridges twelve week Body Transformation, so that was kind of my main business for ten years. Prior to that, I owned a gym in Sydney in the city and I was a personal trainer for thirteen years way back, starting when I was seventeen. But then in about twenty sixteen, I really pivoted and.
Speaker 5: Got super excited about.
Speaker 6: Technology and technology in health, so kind of starting with wearables and when Apple Watch first came out, because I started to see how achnology and understanding our bodies better was really unlocking some of the.
Speaker 5: Most stubborn behavior change.
Speaker 6: So since yeah, since then, I've been really working in more of a functional health space.
Speaker 5: So I partnered with the.
Speaker 6: Most amazing integrative GP Dottyesmina detic Haagan. She's a functional medicine doctor, and so we now run online programs. I've kind of taken a lot of my learnings from, you know, running these big twelve week programs from twelve WBT, these these you know, big you know, thousands and thousands of people, and I've re taken that learning and then applied functional testing and longevity strategies, and I run these programs with dottyasmine and now using a lot more.
Speaker 5: Biofeedback, and it's just awesome.
Speaker 6: Like I never thought that I could get more excited about the work that I do. But just as as we evolve and as technology changes, and we just can learn so much more about our bodies.
Speaker 5: And I see that with everyday people.
Speaker 6: They learn more about themselves and then suddenly that stubborn behavior change actually is achievable for people. So like I'm tracking my sleep. I saw what alcohol was doing to my sleep, so I'm just not going to drink, And suddenly not drinking becomes a lot easier than if they didn't have that buyo feedback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really interesting the intersection between psychology and biology and technology, right, and the who's I talking with this morning.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right. I was doing a coaching session.
Speaker 1: With a guy and I was talking about the idea of listening to your body, like your body is a buyer feedback machine, essentially, it's always telling you stuff. But I feel like, in you Know, twenty twenty five that a lot of us, anyway, not all of us, but a lot of us have really disconnected from the wisdom that is our body, you know, And like your body knows when it needs food, it knows when it doesn't need food, It knows when it needs to hydrate it and knows when it needs to sleep.
Speaker 2: It knows when it.
Speaker 1: Needs more of this and less of that, Like it's it's incredibly intelligent. But because we have, like never ever before in the history of humanity, we have so much access to so much shit that we can just press a button either literally or metaphorically, and get something that tastes good, that's high sugar, high fat, high taste, low nutrition, and just press that dopamine button and bibdy Bobby boo. I feel amazing. And then I opened my eyes. And I've been doing that for ten years, and now my immune system's fucked and I'm unhealthy and I'm not in a shape or a condition that I want to be.
Speaker 2: And so I think in.
Speaker 1: Terms of tech, I really see tech as a way for people to help reconnect with the wisdom of their body and understand, well, what does it? What's heart rate variability mean?
Speaker 2: Like? What is what? Even even you know? Like what are micros and macros for the average person?
Speaker 1: You know? What is like just trying to understand if I have six hours sleep versus eight hours sleep for me, for my body, not the population, but for me, what are the different outcomes?
Speaker 2: Like what is that two hours more? What does that do for me?
Speaker 1: And I think, yeah, I'd so wish that we could get back in touch.
Speaker 2: With our body.
Speaker 1: And I think that you know, some of the appsent trackers and tech, I think that's a way to do it.
Speaker 6: It's so funny you say that, because I couldn't agree more. And it's almost counterintuitive because it's like, well, hang on, isn't someone could be listening and thinking, well, doesn't tech take us away from that you know, much more connected approach towards our body? But I actually find it almost does a full circle strategy where Okay, we're so distracted and we're so hijacked by all these external factors in our modern world, be it artificial light, be it you know, dopamine hits, as you said, be it you know, sugar, fat salt, that we have disconnected and so then we need these devices or these this technology to help us reconnect. But then it's really interesting because you then layer that technology with how you feel. So like a real life example I'll give you is wearing a CGM, a continuous glucose monitor. That might be an experiment that you do once, so you do twice. You wear this thing on the back of your arm for two weeks. And the feedback I get from people is that they understand now when they're having a hypo glycemi episode. So when their blood sugars are dropping so low, they go, oh, that's what that jittery, spaced out feeling means. And I really noticed that when I'm in that low state, that's when I'm really craving those you know, high carb, high sugary foods. And so once a once a CGM come off, they're now much more connected with how they're feeling. So it's almost like a scaffolding that helps you understand your body better and reconnect with some of these sensations and feelings that are happening inside you.
Speaker 5: So I think it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: I mean there would have been a time where I kind of went fuck all that because I'm a dinosaur, I'm a t rex and a T shirt, right, But I really think, you know, like you were saying with a CGM right, for example, so somebody gets a number or some data and then they can correlate that piece of information on that bit of tech with how they're feeling, and then eventually, over time, you just know, when I feel like this, my number is that or the you know, the tracker says that or whatever it is. But it's understanding that you know, when I feel this way, this is probably what's happening in my body. When I have that symptom, this is probably what's happening in my body. And I mean on a very fundamental level. Back in the day, when I opened my first PT center, which was nine a ninety so thirty five years ago, all of my clients wrote everything down so this is pre apps, right, So they literally wrote, you know what time they went to bed, what time they got up, you know what they ate when they ate it, you know, booze, coffee, tea, water, hydration sets, reps, volume runs, distance, time, heart rate, blah bah. And we were tracking stuff back then, and people the average punto who didn't really understand anatomy or physiology or you know, any of any of the stuff that we're talking about. Now, within six months they knew their body intimately, and they knew what what stimulus created, what response in their body, and what that meant. And so they would end up telling me, I only had six and a half hours sleep, and so this is how I feel, but I know exactly why I feel this way. So tonight I'm going to fix it by or I'm going to at least try and compensate by doing XYZ. Or you know, I've only had a lead of water today, so of course I've got a fucking headache, or my energy is lower, my brain doesn't work, or so people start to correlate these different factors with these different feelings or physiological states.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, and you can kind of put it into main buckets where you've got you've got the technology that is giving you real time feedback, which is some of the stuff we've just been talking about. Now, whether it's you know, you're wearable or stuff that you're tracking on every day. And I like this concept of you need to measure it to manage it. If you're measuring it, you're going to be managing it a lot better. But then the second bucket is also much more focused on long term health, on longevity and on health span, and that is taking a more proactive approach to your health and aging, where you're getting tests done ahead of time so that you can ward off some of the you know what we like to what Peter Ettia likes to call the four horsemen, which are the four biggest killers of the Western world. And so I like the two buckets where you got the everyday stuff and you dip in and out of that, and you sometimes you just throw your watch away and you're like, you know, fuck all that. I don't want to track all that. But the second bucket is super important because all.
Speaker 5: Those diseases, the four biggest.
Speaker 6: Killers of the Western world, which is cardiovascular diseases the first one, so think heart attack, stroke, Then you've got neurodegenerative diseases, Alzheimer's, dementia, then you've got metabolic diseases, mainly type two diabetes and then you've got cancer. They're the four horsemen. Now they doos don't appear from nowhere. You can be testing and looking for those early warning signs. And that's the other type of technology that I'm also pretty fuzzy about. And you know, I really want to make sure that most of our members are doing all those tests as well ahead of time, not waiting for the doctor to say, oh, you've got type two diabetes. But hey, hang on a minute, I was insulin resistant for fight for the last five years and you never even told me because you weren't measuring the right markers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that finally, maybe, and Melia, the ships starting to turn, that people are starting to be more proactive and not reactive. It's like, so for so long, so many people basically waited until something broke. Yeah, you know, Oh I'm sick, I should do something. Well, how about you do something before you're sick, and maybe you won't get sick, or maybe we'll push that sickness back a decade or two, you know, And let's like, what even though you're relatively functional and operational, now, let's have a look at your diet and you sleep, and your lifestyle and your habits, and you're you know, blah blah blah blah blah. Let's look at all those variables and it's not about self loathing, it's about self awareness. But what can we do to take you from being a seven out of ten to nine and a half? You know, And let's do something before we have to so to speak.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, a great example like our flagship program, which is called Inner Vitality, and we measure fifty five key biomarkers and we call it the Sleep Well at Night Measurement because we're measuring things that are silent, like inflammation, like inflammatory markers, like kidney function, and like you know, some particular hormonal markers and so often these are silent, or we measure for insulin resistance. We have a special score called your homer IR score, which is kind of a calculation of a bunch of other metabolic markers. These can all be simmering away beneath the surface and you don't have those signs, those early warning signs. But you can get these measurements done and go, oh, actually I have got some chronic inflammation. Know why don't I just make a few little tweaks while I'm younger, rather than wait till disease sets in MMM.
Speaker 1: And so within kind of your You're exactly right, it makes great sense within the middle of your kind of your model, but also just more broadly your.
Speaker 5: Philosophy, right, I guess, yeah.
Speaker 1: Obviously I saw you had Paul Taylor on the other day, by the way, love Paul the great man. And so we're both doing or he's just handed. I think he's just submitted his But I'm also doing my PhD in psych and I'm about three or four months behind him. But QUI, yeah, thanks, Yeah, we're both obviously very interested in well, the role of the mind, you know, the relationship between the mind and the body, and you know, managing our thoughts and managing our choices and managing our actions and reactions and what you're thinking about that. What's the you know? And I know it's very much. It's not so much in the stuff that we can see in poke and measure, but the role of the mind in all of this for you.
Speaker 6: Oh so so important. But I guess where I've become a little more nuanced, and I don't have the answers, and I'm definitely not a psychology expert. But is the chicken or the egg? Because if I have to be honest, I think I've switched a little bit where I was always like, oh, it's the mind that drives the body, and you get the mind right and the body will follow. But as I'm going through perimenopause, and I don't know, tif, you look way too young to be anywhere near this. But as I'm going through perimenopause, and as I'm learning a lot more about I guess biochemistry, I'm realizing how much our physiology impacts our mood and our mindset.
Speaker 5: And so I'm a.
Speaker 6: Bit confused if I have to be honest right now at chicken or egg? Because I have so many ladies on my program that when we get their physiology right, we measure that. We measure all the mark a whole bunch of markers that are you know, particularly relevant for cognition and mood. You know, ferotant, vitamin D for example, and thyroid markers, and we see them really low and depleted. We measure cortisol. We do what's called a car test, which measures a quartersole throughout the day. When you rebalance those and you get those levels at least normal and not insufficient or deficient. Suddenly their mood improves. So I really think it's this delicate synergy. And you can have people, say obviously going through perimenopause, who suddenly, you know, get strike the right balance with their HRT and suddenly that brain fog lifts, or that you know, those really depressive symptoms or the rage just dissipates. It's so important, it's so so important your thoughts. So you like, mind drives a body, body drives the mine or are you.
Speaker 1: Kind of will let TIF talk in a minute too, because she's gone through some stuff. But I think you're exactly right. I think it's an integrated two way system. And I think there are different times when you know, it's like the whole oh, you know, just get your mind in the right place. It's like, no, fuck you, my body's my body's running the show at the moment, so sticky positive. Yeah, yeah, yeah, just try harder, Brian, try harder, Sally. Yeah, fuck you jump in my body for ten minutes and you'll change. So yeah, I mean, I mean, I think I'm fortunate in that I've trained hundreds of women over the years who've been going through menopause or perimenopause, so as much as a man can understand it, which is obviously not like you two can. But I've been around it a lot, and I've had thousands of conversations about it ten with people, and so, I I mean, your body can totally hijack your brain and mind, you know, And it's like it can. If so, you've been going through your own stuff lately.
Speaker 3: How are you, mate, I'm in the middle of the perimenopausal car crash, amelia.
Speaker 5: It is if that's a great just script up, it is shit.
Speaker 3: Are you rolling with the punches or even rolling with the punches but they are landing and the bell is not ringing.
Speaker 5: What's going on for you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Just energy?
Speaker 3: Like I just hit a wall with the ability to recover from training right now, I've gotten all point where cardio has been put completely out of the equation. I'm just tired all the time, and moments of anxiety over nothing like anxiety in my body with no relevance to anything like lots of yeah, lots of.
Speaker 6: Stuff unexplained as well as and you're kind of like, who is this person?
Speaker 5: Because I'm tough, I'm resilient. This wouldn't have.
Speaker 6: Bothered me before, but now I'm getting this almost like palpitation in have you ever woken up in the morning and you're kind of in that like daisy as you dazed out? You just wake up, You're like, Okay, what year is it?
Speaker 5: What day is it?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: My god? What have I got on today?
Speaker 6: And you get this feeling of like I don't know if I'm going to be able to get through my day, Like I get do you get that anxiety?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yes, And it's like so it's so it really challenges everything you think or thought you know.
Speaker 4: About who you are. I'm like, why, Like where's that girl gone?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: What's this?
Speaker 6: I am so with you? And look, everyone's journey is unique. But can I just say that what has been a game changer for me surprisingly this year and also now because I'm so fusy about it, I've been getting a lot more of our members on it is Creating.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm on it, You're on it has helped.
Speaker 3: You've been on that for quite a while, so before this really ramped up as well.
Speaker 6: Okay, so you were on it before it ramped up, because yeah, and I feel like with Creating, I feel like for PERI women, it's just worth trying, and you're on it for six to eight weeks and if you notice a big difference, keep taking it. If you don't notice a big difference, maybe your body's natural saturation levels were good, but mine must have been depleted because I have had so many great benefits from that.
Speaker 5: But you know, depending what stage of.
Speaker 6: Perimenopause, there's early stage, there's late stage, and then there's the menopause transition. Depending on what stage you're at, you know, different treatments are available and can work.
Speaker 5: Have you started experimenting?
Speaker 6: Are you at the point yet where you want to go and get some whether it's progesterone or yeah.
Speaker 3: So I a year ago went and started got a prescription for HRT, and then I had to go get whole breast exams and stuff to get the clearance, and then I I just got my sleep in order and I hadn't. I started taking it for like a week and then I had stopped have those tests and got clearance. But then I just didn't go back on it until a couple of months ago and I went back in this is not it's frustrating, and I went to a menopause specialist doctor that I'd searched for and got recommended, And I went in yesterday and said, I need another prescription for that, but also I want to look at testosterone. And she said we need to take a blood test. And then as we were sitting there waiting, I said, what was my testosterone last time? And she said, I didn't test it. We don't test that till we need to it. I am dumbfounded how a woman can go to a menopause specializing doctor and say, my hormones are tanked?
Speaker 4: Can you test them?
Speaker 3: And they don't think that testing all three is relevant? Like, I'm so infuriated by this process.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and also this is this whole concept of why wait till it's broken before you test and track it. I say to a lot of my members, we do this a lot in bone density and women as young as forty and forty five for bone density scans. I'm like, I don't care if it comes back perfect. I'm glad because there's a healthy baseline now we can track over the next twenty years. You've got that healthy baseline, your testosterone comes back tickerty boo. That's amazing. This is that's proactive health. This is true biohacking. That's unfortunate. And the thing is where I understand that that's not medicare rebatable because we go broke.
Speaker 5: As a nation.
Speaker 6: But at least, like, I'm happy to dip in my pocket and pay for that test because I want to be able to track a healthy baseline and track those changes over the years. So yeah, we have a long way to go, don't we.
Speaker 3: And then when they do get the results, like with the other hormones they're tested, they were like, oh, you know, like you're in normal range, but that doesn't mean anything, so we'll do this anyway. And I'm like, well, why do I have to jump through seven hoops that you then don't actually reference at all anyway, which I am guessing will happen with the testosterone. They'll go, it's within this range, but the symptoms are what we go by. Oh good, So you just wanted me to have seven more appointments in the meantime.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you know you're a highly educated, health focused individual. Imagine if you weren't, and trying to navigate that that's why we get so many women. I call it the missing middle that fall through the cracks. But I think if you're listening to this and you're going through perimenopause, or you know someone who is and they're just their mood is down and they're lacking in energy, at least go and get the fundamentals measured. So, like I said, you're vitamin D, your iron levels, your inflammation markers, your metabolic markers, because if even one of those comes back in sufficient or deficient, then you've got some quick wins. You've got something to work with. And then, yes, hormone tracking is a lot more complex, and the blood tests don't always show what you know. It's tricky and complicated because there's just not enough research on women in that stage yet. But that's why you do try to find yourself the best women's health practitioner or a doctor that you can to help navigate it.
Speaker 5: And even then it takes time.
Speaker 6: It does take time, and it might not work and you might need to change your doses around. But there's lots of options that do make a difference. And I think you know, the big resounding message of hope and it is a good news story compared to what women you know, our parents' generation were going through, is there is so many options out there.
Speaker 5: So it is a good news story.
Speaker 6: We've just got to do a little bit of the work to find that balance.
Speaker 2: And I'm back.
Speaker 1: I just got out of the jacuzzi. I don't know, have you two been good? I mean, I've just been gone for ten minutes to have.
Speaker 2: A good time.
Speaker 4: We've been, say most right through menopause. Now you took that long to come back.
Speaker 1: No, I love no, thank you. That was actually really good to listen to both of you. I appreciate you being that honest. Hormones are a weird thing, right, And I'm not an expert anyone in hormones.
Speaker 2: I know a fair bit about it, but I'm definitely not ago in that.
Speaker 1: But it's just it's so funny that, like, especially when it comes to testosterone for both men and women, you'd think you'd think you were asking for heroine the way they all rick, Oh.
Speaker 2: We don't what what I'm like, Well, you know, it's a naturally occurring hormone in men and women. I don't want cocaine or dope or speed or crack.
Speaker 6: That fine significantly with age that the tanks run and low.
Speaker 1: And we also know that there are very real, sometimes serious physiological consequences.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: We have a guy on Amelia, doctor Jeff you know doctor Jeff Tip from Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: Ye, and he's great. He's on I don't know, once mon or something. And last time it was on, I said, can I ask you what you take? Like this is alive?
Speaker 1: He's like sure, and he just reeled through everything and he's like, I think he takes a bit of growth, he takes a bunch of peptides, takes a bunch of vitamins. He's like TRT buth blah blah blah blah, right just in there like there's no there's no shame, there's no He's like, well, why wouldn't you, Like he's like a sixty year old dude. He's like, well, why wouldn't you you know? And I said, Wow, in Australia, you will. You most will just try and get heroin. It's easier, you know, because over here. I think a lot of people think that I've said this before, but like when men or women using testosterone, the picture they have in their mind as bodybuilders who look like freaks and take a million milligrams of everything, and then that's people's idea of what it is to take testoster and people don't understand like therapeutic application and benefits. And I still think it's unfolding.
Speaker 2: We're still getting educated.
Speaker 6: In I'm again, of course, I'm not a doctor, and everything we talk about today needs to be taken up with your medical professional of choice. I probably am a little bit more conservative where because I come from that functional medicine and functional health background. I like to really focus on the complete picture, where medications or you know, hormone therapy supplements definitely a part of the picture, but they're not a silver bullet. And you know, even me mentioning CREA team before and you know how amazingly it's worked well with me, all my other levers are being pulled at the same time. It's not like I'm sitting on the couch eating junk food. I'm exercising, I'm doing all the things as well. So this for me, I'm in that category of probably a lot of your listeners you call the two percenters. You know, we're already pulling lots of health leavers and we're doing pretty well. So that's where that's where these other interventions you know, can really help. But I am a big fan again of measuring to manage. So don't just blindly go and take your supplements or go and take your vitamins unless you are able to measure, and not all of them you can, so creatine, for example, unless you want to go and have a nice, painful muscle biopsy and find some lab, you can't. There's no way of knowing what your muscle saturation levels are. But other nutrients you can, you know, like a whole bunch of micro nutrients, you can measure and know what they are. So at least start with what you can track.
Speaker 1: Creatine's getting a bit of air time at the moment, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's every second. Maybe it's just my feed.
Speaker 6: But it's like everyone you're right, And isn't that funny from us dinosaurs who were in the fitness industry in the nineties. Don't you remember when it had its time in the nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well I worked for the guy. There was a couple of guys who started massashe you remember.
Speaker 5: Massage, Yeah, yeah, total.
Speaker 1: And I'm also I've been sponsored by Maxes, so Paul and Keith who owned Maxes for one hundred years. And yeah, I've been using creatine since before people even knew what creatine was.
Speaker 2: Probably you too, but yeah, and I.
Speaker 6: Never touched it because it was always for the bros and US ladies because of the potential of water retention.
Speaker 5: But back in the day, all the research was.
Speaker 6: Around muscle and performance in strength and explosive and so US ladies just were like, nah, not for us. We don't want to feel like we're retaining fluid. But of course the more recent research around cognition mood is why it's having its moment. And I was, in fact, someone mentioned it like eighteen months ago and I was like, oh no, yeah for the bodybuilders, and then suddenly started to look into it and I was like, oh no, there's some really interesting emerging research outside of the gym.
Speaker 2: So I got my dad on it. I got my dad on it, eighty five year old Ron.
Speaker 1: I'm like, get this into your on because and I mean there's been it's the most researched supplement in the world, you know, and it's and like you said to merely, it doesn't some people, it's like really really significantly great and for other people that aren't, it doesn't do a lot. But I think for the majority of people, they'll feel some benefit for me. The main benefit for me is just cognitive function is clarity, is mental acuity as memory is just like and I take about I take about fifteen grams a day, which that's not a recommendation.
Speaker 6: Higher than the recommend Yeah, I'm about ten grounds a day, which is a little bit higher than the recuity you do.
Speaker 4: I do a little bit higher as well.
Speaker 3: Someone actually this morning sent me one of my friends sent me a little real that was talking about benefit cognitive benefits of taking higher than the recommended dose. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think, Look, there's and again everyone has merely said, go chat to somebody who's not us. None of this is advice or recommendation or prescription, Bud. There's quite a few smarty pans professors getting around, I mean actual scientists, not bro scientists on fucking the interwebs, but suggesting fifteen to twenty grams a day for optimal kind of cognitive function.
Speaker 6: But again, I got no kidney issues, and you've got no other health issues. There's very little downside except for the cost. And it is actually very affordable. It isn't affordable, it's easy to produce. So I just think it's worth experimenting with for six weeks, and honestly, the proofs in the pudding for me. I noticed that in three main areas. The first one was in the gym and performance. I do CrossFit, and I'm very consistent. I kind of know, I can you know in a ward you got burpies in your wad. I know, I get to about six or seven burpies and that's when I start to feel the labor kicking in, and that's when I start to slow down. And then I you know, know how quickly I usually have to recover if I'm doing you know, keeping pull ups or something like that. And I just was noticing I was get to six or seven burpies expecting that to kick in, and I just kept going. And it wasn't until I was getting to twelve or thirteen, but I was starting to and the same with the kiping pulls. And then I was noticing I was getting sour after strength in a good way, so I was able to go heavier in my dead lifts. And then the second thing I noticed was my focus. I have to do a lot of writing and a lot of hard, deep focus, hard work, and I get distracted, and I was just noticing I was like kind of coming out probably a bit like U the PhD.
Speaker 5: I was coming out of like two hours of being.
Speaker 6: Just deep in the in the focus bubble, going wow, like that's unheard off for me. And then the third area was my mood. You know, I was having a bit like you, Tiff, Like I've always been such an optimistic and can do kind of girl, and I was having these really depressive sundays where I was teary and grumpy. And it was tim My hubby that said to me, geez, you've been in a good mood the last few weeks. You haven't had any of those really tiery, moody, grumpy sundays.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that's why I was like, Okay, I like this stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm getting so to see bring you breakfast in bed and it's a cup of cretane.
Speaker 5: I should thank it in my brownies.
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 5: Some pancakes.
Speaker 1: There's you said a sentence or a phrase that's never been said in nearly two thousand episodes of The You Project, and that he's burpies in your wad. Oh now, seventy percent of our listeners are like, what the fuck does burpies in.
Speaker 2: Your word mean? Stiff?
Speaker 1: Knows, I know, but it sounds like like a parasite in your poo.
Speaker 5: In my wad.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, oh yeah today.
Speaker 1: Yeah god, the one I was leaning over the ball and I had a burpies in my wad.
Speaker 6: Oh god, oh my god, no, Creig.
Speaker 5: Work of the.
Speaker 2: Day, yes, so burpies. Everyone.
Speaker 1: You know that exercise and ward stands for workout of the day, which is happens. Hey, you're great, We love you. Just one or two questions before we go, just because what I'm interested. Tell me to fuck off if if this is stepping over the line.
Speaker 2: How old are you?
Speaker 6: If you don't mind mouse, No, of course, I'm forty six years young.
Speaker 2: Wow you look young? You do? Look you look away. I'm not just saying that, Oh you look young.
Speaker 5: You it's my day.
Speaker 2: I'm coming back if you do. I don't know. Maybe it's the filter. Maybe you look shit in person, but from here I've got.
Speaker 5: The young I've got the young filter.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, you definitely you don't look shit anywhere. I'm sure.
Speaker 1: No, you look very young. So good work you. Just I like knowing what the experts do. Just how often do you do cardio?
Speaker 2: What is it? How intense? How much, how often? What type?
Speaker 5: Okay? So I train five days a week.
Speaker 6: I do one longer run between ten and fifteen k's my prozac, my mental health runt.
Speaker 5: I do that one day a week and then and then.
Speaker 6: I actually do run on all five days, but my three CrossFit days I run for twenty five minutes.
Speaker 5: Before the CrossFit class. So I will do that.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I run five days, one really long run, three shorter runs just before CrossFit, and then I do one kind of mid you know, seven to ten k run, and then I do CrossFit three days a week.
Speaker 2: Great, And do you not that you need to but all your strength stuff, all your strength needs get met in CrossFit correct? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So we'll do in cross fit one or two strength moves very heavy, usually like Olympic lifting, so squats, front squats, deadlifts, bench, and there's period at periodized program.
Speaker 5: And then twice a year I do smaller of Junior.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you've ever if you've heard of the smaller program, it's a great app So like last year.
Speaker 5: I did squats and deadlifts.
Speaker 6: My goal is to deadlift double my body weight and I got there last year, and to deadlift my yeah, my body weight ten times, so I use smaller if I need to kind of get over a strength plateau. That's a three week program. Yeah, and yep, and I love I love that. You know you could do I could always do some more strength training, but I've got four kids and run a business, so you've only got so many hours in the week.
Speaker 1: Well, there's someone else on this call who does reps on sixty kilos on the bench and it's not me.
Speaker 5: So wow, TIF so serious.
Speaker 6: Inching your body weight or you know thereabouts? Pretty excited, respect my friend.
Speaker 5: That's amazing. That's so incredible, Amelia.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you.
Speaker 1: And I genuinely feel today like I was the third wheel in this conversation. So we should extract me next time. Just leave it to you two girls. We'll call it the You Project. I'll intro and outro and then you two can.
Speaker 6: Just I did admit I was fangirling around Tiff before. So yeah, sorry, Craig.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we love you.
Speaker 2: Too, whatever, whatever, too power.
Speaker 1: Oh she got bloody stopped at the airport by a fan.
Speaker 2: Ah. I love it.
Speaker 5: I hope you got a selfie.
Speaker 4: Shout out to Adrian, by the way, shout out to Amelia.
Speaker 1: Where can people connect with you, find you, follow you and find out all about you?
Speaker 6: Oh look, Instagram's the best, So underscore Amelia, underscore Phillips. I've got a blue top on in my profile pick. I'm pretty good on DMS and I put lots of free stuff and education up there, all around health, longevity, health span, lots of tips and tricks, so you can, yeah, visit.
Speaker 5: My podcast healthy her Craig.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry it's kind of for women, but you're more than welcome to come and fig around in.
Speaker 5: We're actually going to get you on in a couple of weeks, so I'm excited. I'm excited to get on.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you, ladies, what's up. Don't worry about that.
Speaker 5: You're going to put you in the hot seat, my friend.
Speaker 2: I might have to borrow I might have to borrow tips, jumpsuit.
Speaker 6: And ready hells, Oh my gosh, I would pay to see it.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: You're not the only one I will say goodbye fair But Amelia, you're great. We appreciate you, and I look forward to coming to have a chat with you on your show.
Speaker 5: It's been fun. Thanks guys,