Speaker 1: From The Australian. This is the weekend edition of The Front. I'm Claire Harvey my guest today.
Speaker 2: Writer Charlotte Ree has earned a loyal following for bearing all when it comes to heartbreak, fertility and all the beautiful complexity of being a single woman in her mid thirties. Exploring these topics in her columns published in the Weekend Australian magazine, Reid taps into the deeply personal and for a lot of women, the deeply relatable. There's a feminist bent to her writing that's familiar, celebrating ideas around choice and agency and some pretty new ideas too, like why your ex should foot the bill for egg freezing. Charlotte's here in just a moment. Charlotte Ree is an author and columns with The Weekend Australian and Charlotte, we've talked previously on the Front about your decision.
Speaker 1: To freeze your eggs, your big desire to become a mother.
Speaker 2: It's a big emotional conversation. I'll try not to make you cry. I know, I like i've probably last time you made Mekra. You've gone ahead and started the process of freezing your eggs, and I think I knew anecdotally that that was a really tough process from knowing women who've been through it, but reading your story, which is published in the Australian's Weekend magazine today, really opened my eyes to how tough it is. Tell me about what you had to do to harvest and then freeze some of your eggs.
Speaker 3: I honestly think it's the worst thing I've ever done. And one of my friends said to me, the best, You mean the best.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's the worst, most hardest, most difficult thing I've ever done.
Speaker 3: Essentially, you are injecting hormones into your body every single day in order to fabricate your body thinking that it's over producing eggs as a woman. Each period you release one egg. This is design to make you release multiple dozens of eggs.
Speaker 2: Ideally, it's simultaneously incredibly expensive and also largely do it yourself. Like you'd think for the tens of thousands of dollars that you're paying, that someone would come around to your house.
Speaker 1: There's not a nurse in my home, exactly.
Speaker 2: I love that you describe yourself as having a sort of lineup of vials and powders in front of you, like you were running a small time drug operation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it felt like that you really are doing something completely unnatural and something I really struggled with throughout every time I was hurting myself and injecting myself and bruising myself and putting these big needles into my body that felt, you know, way too big for me. You're kind of thinking, but why, like what is this process? And it felt so unloving I guess, like the complete opposite way to how I thought, you know, I would be having a baby. I thought it would be love and passion and instead its forms and paperwork, and you know, seven pm alarms going off to tell me I've got to do it all again.
Speaker 2: This is the mirror of science, of course, that is hopefully going to give you this longed for baby. Did it make you regret having chosen to step into this path at all?
Speaker 3: I think every day I did. And that's something my mum had to keep reminding me every day, and I am really grateful to her, but she just kept saying to me, you know, you're not being grateful and acknowledging what science is affording you, like the opportunities it's giving you it's giving you the chance to be a mum. And I think in the brain fog which definitely comes with hormones, I had forgotten and lost sight of that a bit.
Speaker 1: You went through this ordeal of the injections at home and then the retrieval in a hospital setting, and then you got the results. So how did it go?
Speaker 3: So I sort of came out in a complete haze of an atheesure and I was told I had that they'd gotten sixteen eggs, which is a really great result, and I just remember being complete shock. I think I went in just saying to myself, you just need one.
Speaker 1: All it takes is one.
Speaker 3: I kind of had seven in my head because I love that number, and then when they said sixteen, I just couldn't believe it. And I remember the nurse wrote it on my hand. I think there's a way to sort of say, like, hey, you're I was saying, can I have my phone to text my mom? She's like, you're absolutely not allowed to have your phone.
Speaker 1: Yet I was thinking, why can't I have my phone?
Speaker 3: And then my female gynecologist came out and I said to her, you're such a beautiful man, and I thought, that's why that phone cut change. But I, you know, my best friend sort of picked me up and she was waiting for me when I came out, and and I just held my hand up to her and I think, you know, I still can't believe it, and we both couldn't believe it. And then later that afternoon they call and they say, you know, you had surgery this morning, and we got sixteen eggs and twelve had made it to the freezer. But I guess it sort of came crashing down to reality when I had the follow up call.
Speaker 1: And even with twelve, because they're eggs.
Speaker 3: And they're not embryos which are fertilized with sperm, they have less likelihood of defrosting in a viable manner. And so my stats are even with twelve, I have a sixty seven percent chance of one baby, and I think it's like a twenty nine percent chance of two. So you need to sort of have thirty or forty if you want to have the sort of more comfort, I think in actually having a viable pregnancy so you.
Speaker 1: Could go through this experience all over again. How does that feel?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, I mean I've spoken to my doctor about it, and I know I likely need to. I think at this point in time, I can't fathom doing it. It really threw everything up in the air for me. It just totally dysregulated me. I think, you know, I've worked so hard in the past six months to sort of be in control and feel like I was doing all of these right, amazing things for myself. And as my mum said, she said, yeah, but you chose to freeze your eggsit this time. You know you could have waited. But when all of the science and all of the appointments are saying you've lost, You've got no time, You've got a hurry. You're thirty five, You're going to be in first. The longer you wait, the less eggs you're going to get. What else are you going to do? But sort of go in guns blazing. But the idea of doing it again and doing it alone is really scary.
Speaker 2: I've got to admit the alone part is very significant, isn't it. Something else I learned from you is that you can't freeze an embryo unless you have this sort of partner there with you volunteering for that as well.
Speaker 3: Or it's having donor sperm from someone that has done counseling and psychology appointments to say that they approve their sperm being used. They've signed off on a form to say that they did so. The only way that you can freeze embryos is with a known person, so not just a partner, but if you had a friend that was willing to donate sperm, there's a whole process they have to go through to be basically allowed to do it, and you both have to do sort of counseling to get to that point. You cannot freeze embryos with donor sperm in Australia, which is something I learned, and also there's a sperm shortage in Australia. In there I say this. I saw this hilarious ivy of Australia out of a guy with a megaphone speaking to guys growing saying donate today, and I was thinking, God, that's one marketing campaign and one way to do it.
Speaker 2: Price I do the thing that you do best, because never has Australia needed a hand as much as it does now.
Speaker 3: But it is it's like you are already in this like limited pool of pain, and then you just get smaller and smaller and smaller. As you realize how sort of limited your options become as a woman doing it on your own.
Speaker 2: It's a very common experience for women to kind of step into feminism or discover feminism as.
Speaker 1: They get older.
Speaker 2: Yeah, has this experience kind of enhanced your understanding of what feminism is about?
Speaker 1: I feel enraged.
Speaker 3: I keep getting in the algorithm these men on their Instagram accounts, which are mainly aimed at men. In this one in particular, is this guy in California with a receding hairline who starts every video by going, I a thirty.
Speaker 1: Six year old, single income, no kids, man, and this is a day in my life. And I just think, oh, you prick.
Speaker 3: You really are marketing why men should just be unattached and avoidant. And I feel like doing these other ones, like I'm a thirty five year old woman, single income, no kids, and this is also equally how great my life is. But it's hard to see that when my ex hasn't had to do any of this. And you know, I've got friends that are having babies and are married and coupled, and it has felt so isolating, and I suppose it has made me feel more vocal and I guess wanting to speak up about these things that do feel like an injustice in some ways, like yet again women are getting this sort of raw end of the deal. But it really is like there's no sugarcoating it. If you even are in a couple, most of the man has to do is get his sperm tested by you know, ejaculating into a cup, and the female has to go through all of these blood tests. Internal just sounds and I just think of men sometimes that are just like on this even keel and we're kind of doing this the whole way along as we're navigating the bumpy roade.
Speaker 2: It's been a couple of decades now that egg freezing has been marketed to women over the age of you know, twenty seven as the ultimate insurance policy. You know, get to the other side of the egg freezing and then you can take a breath and then you'll be able to step into relationships with a bit less pressure. Yeah, you're there now.
Speaker 1: How does it feel to be completely relaxed?
Speaker 3: And on the other side, part of me is like I just want to put that behind me now and just go on with my life. I don't want to be that woman that got dumped and just desperately wants a kid, and that's going to form the rest of my interactions. I'm just having this real pivot my thinking where I'm just understanding that I've done what I can now, I've done every option available to me. Yes, the option is there to have a second round and have more, and do I want that to be the defining factor in my life and how I relate to people, And I don't. I want to be open minded, I want to be thirty five. I want to have fun again. You know, I've been feeling so sad and so serious and so unlike.
Speaker 1: Myself, and I just want to be myself again.
Speaker 2: It's the separation of love equals marriage and a baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah too. Love is one thing and a baby is another thing. Really, isn't it. That's supposed to be the freedom?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's something that in the history of humanity we haven't had. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Really, well, no, I feel like it's the first sort of generation that you have a choice about what you do and whether you do. Become a mum and you know, I rang my mum recently and I was a bit emotional because I said to us, you know, someone just told me that they were pregnant and had to put on this brave face.
Speaker 1: And then I was in the car and my mom said, but you could be. You could be.
Speaker 3: You've got the eggs on ice. You could be having a baby, but you're choosing not to. And she's just she's taking the tough love approach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mom is stepping up to you.
Speaker 3: Is just taking the tough love approach with me and my emotions lately. And I think I could be and I'm choosing not to be. And I suppose that's the thing. I do have options. That's the beauty of being in Australia. It's the beauty of being able to afford it, and it's the beauty of feeling like I have choices again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and feminism is supposed to all be about choice, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: The one thing I do mentioned in the column is that I want people to feel like they can ask for that in a breakup, they need to ask for some financial support if they need it. People talk about divorce settlements all of the time. Perhaps egg freezing should be a part of that, particularly if you're of a certain age, because I do wonder how women do afford it if they are on their own. It ends up being nearly twenty grand in the end, and that's an enormous amount of money. Even after my surgery, I got an invoice that was unexpected. That said, because I'd retrieved between eleven and twenty eggs, I got twelve that I needed to pay an additional thousand dollars And it's just like, are you kidding me? So? Because I've been so successful, now I'm going to be charged for that. So I do want people to feel empowered.
Speaker 1: When they read this.
Speaker 3: I want people to feel like they have agency, because I think a lot of people when I had written about this for the magazine previously, strangers either on Instagram or on the Australian Comments, had said how privileged I was and that I was remiss in not acknowledging that. And I think that's the word that I kept coming back to as I was doing this, because I kept thinking, there is nothing privileged about this position, and to see it that way feels like completely off.
Speaker 2: Well, I think generally women are too busy to comment, and I know that all the women I know and all your followers are wishing you all the best and whatever this turns out to be, and You're already there.
Speaker 1: You've already achieved something incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that's sort of what I have to sit back and realize is that I did it, you know, against all odds. I've sort of done this thing that felt like it was this sort of shawl that I wasn't reaching. It felt like I was kept swimming and the water was lapping, but I wasn't getting any closer.
Speaker 1: And now I'm at that shoreline. Thanks Charlotte, Thanks Claire.
Speaker 2: Charlotte Ree is a columnist for the Weekend Australian magazine. Pick up a copy of the Weekend Australian or search for The Australian's Weekend magazine Anytime. This episode of the Front was hosted by me Claire Harvey and produced by Jasper League. Our team also includes Kristin Amiot, Lee At Sammerglue, Tiffany Dimack and Joshua Burton.