Speaker 1: Of all the things that I say, of all things that I do, all the things that I've learned, of everything that the kids have put me through. Kids just text you, They try you. There's nothing easy about being a parent, so let it be hard. Don't fight that. This is what parenting is, and the great irony is as you accept that it's going to be hard, ironically becomes a lot less hard.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Things you Can't Unhear podcast. I'm your host, Maritza Barone. Get ready to hear moments that will help you to see the world differently and inspire you to become the happiest, healthiest and kindest version of you. What makes a happy family? In this episode, we're joined by one of Australia's most trusted voices in parenting and family wellbeing to find out. Doctor Justin Coulson is a dad to six daughters, a psychologist and author, and the founder of the Happy Families Platform. In this conversation, we go beyond parenting tips and go into the heart of what it means to raise humans in today's world. We explore the mistakes parents make that they don't realize they're making. The truth about self belief and grades the schooling system, and how Justin believes changes should be made to help children thrive more, and how Justin himself has navigated it all while raising six daughters of his own. This is a powerful, honest, and emotional conversation about the kind of adults we're shaping and the kind of parents we're choosing to be. Doctor Justin Coilson, Welcome to the Things you Can't On Here Podcasts.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling really light today and I just want to I just want to mock you for sounding so serious when you did that intro.
Speaker 2: This is the things you can on here podcast We're not meant to have fun. We're meant to have like drop moments to change the way we think we did.
Speaker 1: You know, you're more likely to absorb really great information if you're in a good mood, like if you're laughing.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, and if you're hearing stories.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well let's start with that. Tell me your story. I want to know that moment when you as a father, the perception of you as a father, and a moment that changed everything in the way that you saw yourself as a farmer. Okay, and this may take the lightness out of your I was going.
Speaker 1: To say this, this kind of changes everything, so we kind of have to go back to my high school days, which is kind of annoying. I didn't become a teenage father or anything like that, but I just hated school and my dream. After I did work experience in year ten at the local radio station on the New South Wales Central Coast two go, I got to hang around in the studio and in the jocks room with all the radio announcers, and I was like, this is the best job in the world, because back then radio is a very different beast than what it is today, and radio announcers would literally show up for their let's say their nine to twelve shift or their six till nine shifts or whatever it was. They do fifteen or twenty minutes of prep, they do the shift, and then they had the rest of them they do whatever they wanted. There's something I'd get paid to play music, open up the mic and have a chat for fifteen seconds once every fifteen minutes, give away some money. We'd beat the bomb or the Mad Minute or whatever is that we're doing, and then I.
Speaker 2: Get to go surfing, right, and you probably get to talk a little bit too, which is probably one of your strengths.
Speaker 1: I do like to talk, and so I was like, I'm going to be a radio announcer, and I recognize that we're recording this pod in a radio station, so I need to tread gently with what I'm going to say. But if you've ever listened to the radio, especially the FM radio stations, you can tell straight away that the people who are on the radio didn't have to do well at school to be on the radio.
Speaker 2: You should tread to care except.
Speaker 1: For the news readers, right, they're very well educated. And so as a year ten student, I've just gone well, school doesn't matter. My parents had a different opinion. They were spending this is late eighties, early in nine as they're spending over ten grand a year back then to send me to this grammar school that I at it, and so I'm wagging school and going surfing. There was no such thing as mobile phones, and so my parents weren't getting that text message saying your son isn't at school. I was just could get away with much more, got away with everything, which means that when I finished high school in New South Wales, you have your HSC. I scored on the bottom. If you scored below a certain ranking, they don't give you a score, They just tell you that you scored this all below. And I scored in the fifteen or below range. Like I just it wasn't your thing. No, And it's not that I was well, I was not a great kid, but my purpose laid elsewhere. And I could see that my parents were freaking out. They were thinking, this is the end. He ruined his life because you twelve matters so much, apparently, and because everything hinges on that to see score it, apparently, And I just said, no, I just want to be in radio. And I went and had a really successful radio career.
Speaker 2: You know what I always say to my children, I don't care what it is that you do, as long as you're really good at it, if you really enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Being good at it and enjoying it are both really helpful. Yeah, yeah, it makes life a lot better. You don't have to be good at it or enjoy it. You can still get by, but that will make a difference for sure. Yeah. So I'm now in my late twenties. I'm working at Brisbane's B one O five. Well, we've played all today's best musical worked, and I'm really good at my job. And then I'm going home. I've got a wife and two kids. I'm about twenty six years old. We've just had a second baby, and we've got a three mager And it's so funny because and I'm sure that there are so many parents who get this right. Like, you go to work and you're confident, you're capable, you do it, you do it well. People come to you for solutions and answers, you provide them, you get the job done, and then you go home and you're just like, I am clueless. I'm so far out of my depth. This isn't working. My wife had a background an early childcare, so she was reasonably well equipped to deal with our three year old and our newborn. But what had been happening since everyone talks about the terrible twos, but three is way worse than too, And what had been happening as our daughter neared three was that her behavior was escalating. Her emotions were out of control. And I'm a radio DJ with no education, no understanding of relationships, no understanding of psychology, and not understanding of child development, and we just kept on getting into these power struggles, and I was pretty convinced that I was going to win no matter what, because I'm big and I can make her do whatever I demand. I remember one time, quick tangent. My grandma saw the way that I was treating my oldest with frustration and strictness and sternness and harshness, and she said, justin, and she said it as gently as she could. He said, Justin, You're very hard on Chanelle. And I said, you've got to be man, otherwise the whole run circles around you going to have me wrapped around her little finger. I was really proud of it, and on a reflection, I just cringe when I think of it.
Speaker 2: Oh do you think you were replicating how you were raised?
Speaker 1: No? No, I had really really loving, and I would say quite permissive parents who just wanted the best for me. My parents were far from perfect. And a quick hint, by the way, if your parents ever come to you and say, we feel like we've got a few things wrong, would you like to tell us Just say no, No, just say I know you did the best that you.
Speaker 2: Could, did the best you could because the.
Speaker 1: Way that they carry Oh my goodness, there's a guy that I heard say this recently and it stuck with me. You talk about things you can't on here, he said, because I was thinking about and I had been talking to somebody about how your parents stuff you are because they do like and every parent will, there's no getting around her. I know that I've made a mess with my kids in various ways as well, we all do. And as I was thinking about that, he said this thing, and it just, oh, it hit me so hard. He said, your parents are going to make a mess of things. Don't judge them, for here's the measure of a good parent. Did they do a better job raising you than their parents did raising them? Yes? And I thought, oh my goodness, my parents were great. It just it shifts it around because that's the model that they had, and if they've improved on the model, then they're doing it right, even if they're not perfect.
Speaker 2: I agree, that's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know how my parents my kids are going to go because they've had me.
Speaker 2: You're a perfect grapount or you've done all the studies. So with that frustration that you had with Chanel, and then was it your mum that had sort of said.
Speaker 1: No, I'm my grandma. Yeah, yeah, yeah. So here's the climax of the story. Climax of the story is as follows. I'd done this big Friday night at B one five, not on air, but doing some I don't know, promotional thing. Got home at about two in the morning, had to be back in the radio station at five point thirt to do a six to midday Saturday morning shift. I'm desrecked. I get home from that shift, trying so hard to stay awake till I get home. Walk in the door. It's a beautiful brue has been spring afternoon sun shining, temperatures like perfect for a nano nap. And I've said to Kylie, I'm beat, you know how late little sleep If I have an hour or two are going to be so good for the rest of the day and we'll have some nice family time. And Kylie said, well, that's fine. I've got to run out and run some errand because I've be waiting for you to get home because of the baby. The baby's gone to sleep Chanel three years old. She needs to have a nap. You put her down, I'll go out. I'll be back before anyone's working up. It sounds simple, sounds so simple, and I'm like, it sounds so simple, and again, knowing what I know today, I would have just done everything so differently. But I screwed this up monumentally, and I feel terribly ashamed. I sometimes I get weepy when I talk about it because I just hate how I blew this. But I said to Chanel, it's time to go to bed, and she now did what every three year old, self respecting three year old says. I don't need a daytime nap. I'm a big girl, And I'm like, no, you do. And the reality is she probably didn't, but I did, and so therefore she did. And we just escalated and started yelling at each other, and then I started calling her names and I and I squeezed her and I said, you've got to go to sleep. And I remember at one stage, as she's holing, I'm like, that's it, and I had her in my hands and I literally just chucked her at the bed, like chucked her on the mattress, and she sort of bounced on the bed a couple of times, and fortunately there was no harm done to her. But who throws their baby at a bed, right either three or a bed and then I slammed the door and I'm holding it on the handle so that she can't get out, and she's laying behind the door, and she's using your heels hammers, going let me out, let me.
Speaker 3: I'm not tired, and I'm like, you need to go to sleep, narrative and get the fuck yeah, And honestly, like.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been really emotionally elevated like she was, or like I was now and gone, Yeah, Actually I do feel like in that, like as if she was going to go to sleep, because I've taken her from like two to twelve out of ten. It was so mad. Shoved the door open even though she was behind and she was in the way. I like just barreled her out of the way with the door and I smacked her on the backside, like everything you're not supposed to do.
Speaker 2: It's so brave that you're even doing.
Speaker 1: I hate talking about it. Don't say that all get even more upset about it. But I just did everything that you're not supposed to do in my anger and in my single mindedness, like you need to go to sleep. And eventually I just locked her in a room and I held that door. I had this thought, and like it stayed with me for she's twenty seven now. It stayed with me for twenty four twenty five years. Had this thought she's a toddler. She'd behaving like, one, what are you like? You're an adult? What are you behaving like? It's like, oh, my goodness, I am getting this so wrong. And eventually she went quiet. She fell asleep on the carpet behind the door. She just exhausted herself, screaming. I was like, if she wakes up the baby, right And so I walked into the backyard because right now I'm not ready for a sleep. I'm just and I'm trying to process and go. Clie has been mad at me for getting cranky at Shanella a lot lately. My Grandma's been into me. I've had a couple of other people tell me that I'm a bit harsh. And I know it's not working. That's the biggest thing I know in my heart, and this is not working. And two things happened as I stepped into the backyard. And I feel that beautiful sunshine coming down. The first thing I think is this thing that my dad said to me once. He said, justin the only time the only time my father should lay his hands on his child is to bless them. Yeah, and I've just gone, oh my goodness, I'm not a blessing in my child's life. And then the follow up thought was, in fact, justin you are a bad father. Now I know that I spent a lot of good quality time with my daughter. I read a stories, We wrestled, we played, we went to the park. We did all the good stuff. But when she was not regulated, there was I. I was out of control and I was using my mighties right power to enforce. And we'd just gone to the Wiggles concert. This was back when the Wiggles were huge and we had all the original Wiggles. We'd just gone to a Wiggles concert and I was like, I reckon, it won't matter how many backstage passes I get throughout my radio career. If I don't have a relationship with my daughter, what's the point. And so Clytie came home. She was surprised to see that I was awake. She was also surprised when she opened the door to see shene laying on the carpet with tear stained cheeks. And I had this really hard conversation with it where I said, here's what happened, here's what I'm noticing, I'm getting it wrong. Clylie, who's really compassionate and kind and thoughtful and elevating and inspiring and all the good things, looked at me and you said, yeah, you are, like there was nothing nice about it. And she said, and I've been thinking about it for a little while now, I'm wondering how to bring it up, and you just have So you just kind of need to know that our family can't keep going like this, and if you can't change it, I'm going to have to. Like you're not the father, I hope you be, and I'm kind of going, well, this is a lot, and then she added, you're also not a husband. I hope you be. Things need to change. So that's kind of.
Speaker 2: You know, hearing that and people listening to this today on this podcast, we were all as parents, we will all identify with some.
Speaker 1: Aspect of that stuff because we also.
Speaker 2: Parenting is a frustrating game. I was watching my friend who's got an eighteen month old couple of days ago, and she'd set up toys and there were red bowls, green bowls, blue bowls, yellow bowls, and then little cars that with tongs the child is supposed to put into the correct colors. And you know, watching us adults are sitting around and he's sitting on the carpet and we're watching it. We're just like, that's what he's supposed to do, but of course he wants to just throw them around and do it. And so for us as parents watching that so frustrating. Put the red in the red, put the green in the green? Yes, And so, like I said, it's a frustrating game. We learn so much about ourselves as parent parents, and you sharing that, I can see myself in so many situations where I've let my emotions get the better of me. Do we need to regulate our own emotions to be better parents?
Speaker 1: Undercent like, this is how you become a better person is you learn how to respond to stress. There's what resilience is. Right, Do I have the emotional resilience? Do I have the capacity to absorb the stress that my child's placing on me and respond in a way that is going to help them feel safe?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Like, as a parent, you've got one job, and it's to holp your kids to be safe. It's true, and the great irony is that when we get frustrated with them, when we get them in trouble, when we threaten them, when we make ourselves into this gray, big, scary monster, they're now in this awful tension where the place that they're sposed to go for safety and security is not safe and secure. So where do they go? That's one of the biggest challenges that parents face is whether you're dealing with a toddle that won't go to sleep, or wants to eat out of the pink bowl and not the green bowl, or you cut the toast in triangles and they want rookie era. By the way, always go into rectangles first, right, because when they want triangles, you're sweet, right, But if you've gone triangles and they want rectangles, it's in the bin and going again. So, Or we're dealing with teenagers who are riding their e bikes without helmets as seventy k's an hour down backstreets with no lights with three people on them, and or they've stolen the car for the third time, or they went to the party when you said no, or you find out that they got someone pregnant, or they're pregnant, or they're consuming substances, like all the all this stuff is so big, and one of the hardest things for every parents to learn how to do is to work through that in a way that invites their child in rather than which is their child away. Because when we push our child away through our anger, through our correction and direction, through our ongoing command and control. The research is pretty clear things don't work out particularly well for our children, and it doesn't usually work out well for us in our family relationships either.
Speaker 2: I'm curious do you think an element of fear helps? Because I remember my childhood. If I screwed up, I knew my dad was going to lose it. He was going So I was like, I don't think I'm going to do that because I don't want to screw up. I don't want to get in trouble. The element of fear, I think it sort of kept me safe a little bit because I wasn't as rebellious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so from a pure perspective, I would push back against that. Yeah, his why when my children do the wrong thing, who do I want them to go to? Right? And if they're afraid of me, what's the likelihood that they'll do it?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I totally understand. They go they're friends, they go to anybody but me, and yet who's the one who's going to help them the most? Ideally, it's it's got to be me, right, And so that's a challenge to that idea. In practice, they don't have to be afraid of us because we're going to get a nasty like In practice, maybe they don't want to let us down.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's exactly what, and so I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Call that fear. I'd call that a healthy respect and a love and it decided to do the right thing. But even then, like I said, if I wanted to be really pure about it, and forgive me for getting a little bit academic for a sec, when we or our children are doing something because of the way that it's going to affect people around us, we're working at a fairly low level of motivation. What I'm really interested in is helping kids to understand the why, the rationale, because if they can understand the why, then they'll endorse the behaviors, they'll endorse the activities they're going to lead to healthier, safer, wiser outcomes. Yes, so I can have my kids afraid of disappointing me yes. And I remember one parent I spoke to said that he almost remembered that day that his dad said, I'm so disappointed in your son. And he's said, I make sure that I tell my kids that I'm disappointed if they get it wrong, and I'm like, just stop. That doesn't make kids feel better in any way. They're going to behave a certain way because they don't want to let you doubt, not because they know that it's the right way to behave or because they want it to behave that way. So that takes a toll on the relationship. It's a manipular and it's coercive. So much better when the kids are like I identify the value in wearing a helmet, or wearing a seatbelt, or staying off alcohol and other drugs. I identify the value in it. Therefore, because I can see the value, I don't need my parents to be reminding me and standing over my shoulder and cajoling me. I can go to the party quite comfortably say yeah, I don't dream because I actually endorse that myself. It's not like I don't want to let my parents down and get caught tomorrow because I'm hungover.
Speaker 2: How you change the language around that though. And I've heard you talk about this beautiful sentiment of connection over control, right, and I love that and I've been preaching it in my house since yesterday. When child's connection not control, and you you that sounds very controlled. You're very funnily reminded me that that's controlling. I'm like, the control of the husband's okay, just not off the children. But I love that sentiment of connection over control because, like you said, that safety element is there. You're getting them to open up, you're getting them to speak, and you're making them think of what the correct answer is for themselves rather than telling them because no one knows. No one likes being told what to do, especially teenage kids. Right.
Speaker 1: Let me geek out just a little bit here. There's two different kinds of control. There's behavioral control and there's psychological control. Kids need behavioral control, like it's just not okay to do certain things. You're not allowed to throw knives at your sister with the apple on the head because you think that you saw in the movie and it's real and you can do it. Like there has to be a real control. And then there's psychological control and that's a lot of the the bribing and the threats and the guilt tripping and just the different ways that we Well, you can't go and do that thing unless you do the thing that I've asked you to do. As so, psychological control research is chine is pretty damaging. Behavioral control that's not damaging at all. That's actually good to kids, But it's not what. It's the how. And so you've talked about command. I sometimes use command and control as words, but normally what I do is I imagine that your relationship with your kids is like a bucket, okay, and what do you put in a bucket? You want a whole lot of water in the bucket. That's why you have the bucket. Seek and fill it with water. Seek and water the plants, or carry stuff or whatever. So you've got this bucket. That's your relationship and the water is the connection in any relationship. You want that bucket full of connection. You want as much water in that bucket as you can. The air in the top of the bucket from where the water stops and then all the way to the rim of the bucket. The air is correction and direction. Do this Do that not like that hurry up, Well I haven't done already. You're going to be late if you don't. How many times do I have to say? That's correction and direction? And the question that I always ask is, think about the morning that you've spent with your kids getting them ready for school. How much water to put in the bucket? Because if you're walking around with it, what if I asked you to carry an empty bucket all day? What would you eventually do with that bucket?
Speaker 2: Fill it up? Hopefully?
Speaker 1: Well, but I'm the one that's in charge of filling it, right, But I've given you the bucket. This is the relationship, and I've said to carry that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are you going to do? Probably just put it down.
Speaker 1: You're going to put it down and walk away from it. And that's what people do with relationships when nothing is connecting, but instead everything's correcting and directing. That's what happens in coercive control relationships. That's what happens with kids that are raised by really controlling parents. They're just like, I don't want this in my life anymore. This is abusiveful, this is toxical, this is just not helping me. And I'm walking away. But When you think about your standard morning with the kids getting the ready for school, it sort of goes like this, get out of bed. This is the fourth time I've told you, hurry up, get out of bed. I want you to put your uniform one go and get yoursues and socks I have. When you put your shoes, what do you mean you don't know you bought them home yesterday? Have you checked the car? Get me your lunch box? While you're finding your lunch is still in here from yesterday? Do you know how much bread costs? Right now?
Speaker 2: Gosh, are you listening?
Speaker 1: And so we go through this thing. What do you mean you can't find your jump? But this is the third jump of this year and we're not even a winter yet, and so we Our whole morning is because correction and direction, and we're on the kids case because we've got to get out of the door on time, because if we don't get down the road and through the intersection or whatever by seven forty seven, we're going to get those lights and that means that we're going to be late for everything. And so we really ride the kids hard, and do you reckon the kids? Get out of the car at school and go, well, that was a pretty busy morning. But at least I know that my parents are thinking of my best interest. No, don't, but imagine this. So this is how you make mornings magic. Imagine this before you go to bed the night before, you say to the kids, what's in the morning do you want to have tomorrow? Do you want to be rushed or do you want to be peaceful? The kids are usually going to say, yeah, let's go for a peaceful, chill morning. All right, great, what are the things that we can do tonight so that tomorrow can be peaceful?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What can we do right now to prep for tomorrow? Because your morning begins the night before. So what I've just done there is I've provided a rationale to my child your morning begins the night before, like if we have a nice, good bit of preparation, now, tomorrow morning's going to be easy. So the child's more likely to value and identify that this is an activity worth doing, so you don't have to course them and control them. Did you notice what else I did?
Speaker 2: You included them in the decision making.
Speaker 1: By doing what bym asking questions exactly? So by saying what can we do now? I'm not telling them what to do. I'm saying, what are some simple things. Might mean finding shoes, getting the sports uniform already, finding the library books because tomorrow's library day. It could mean pulling the lunch box out of the lunch out of the bag now and putting in the kitchen and washing it. It might even, depending on how far you want to go with this, and might even include putting down a list of what we're going to have for brecki and lunch tomorrow so that in the morning we're not staring into the refrigerator for two and a half minutes looking at nothing and trying to work out what I want to do here. Now, if you spend five minutes doing that tomorrow morning, the next thing you do is you make a commitment that you're going to get up fifteen minutes earlier than you need to because we stay up too long staring at our screens, doom, scrolling, whatever. But if you get up fifteen minutes early. Let's say you've got to get up at six, and you say, I'm going to get up at five forty five. I don't like anything at a five minute but I'm going to do it anyway. You get up, go through some sort of rising ritual. Maybe you make yourself that cup of tea or coffee, sit on the deck and just inhale and don't look at you for the first fifteen minutes, and then go and get on with your morning, so that by the time it's it's time to get the kids moving, you're kind of already done.
Speaker 2: You've emotionally regulated.
Speaker 1: You've regulated.
Speaker 3: It's also given yourself sometime. It's called margin, and we just don't have it in our lives, right. So then the next way to make your morning magic is to sit on the kid's bed about ten minutes before they need to get up, instead of yelling at them and saying.
Speaker 1: For goodness sakes, we got to go.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 1: You now know that they're almost ready, you're totally ready. You're still getting up ten minutes earlier, but normal anyway. And so you can give them a little tickle or a little snuggle, or you can say today's going to be a great day. What are you looking forward to? And as you talk with them, you're moving away from this correction and direction and you're moving into connection, which means that they're going to go to school with a really full relationship. Bucket Oh my goodness, what a difference.
Speaker 2: So many moments in that that were just absolutely beautiful. And it's definitely the way I think we communicate with our children that has so much power. I want to move to a different topic now and talk about schooling because I know you've transitioned with your kids. Tell me about your kids' ages now.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. So there are six of them that keep on changing. Six daughters, six daughters.
Speaker 2: Ages keep changing. Amazing.
Speaker 1: I know. I forgot to mention, by the way, when you were asking about my story after that big blow up, I went to Tafe in ninety four years at UNI and got a first class office it's like science. And then I did a PhD. And then I worked at the Union lectur and now I write books, a TV show, on a podcast and all that sort of stuff. So that's who I am.
Speaker 2: Well, everyone about that in the intro.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I just wanted to make sure that. Yeah, okay, cool. So so my youngest, and I'll start with my oldest. She's in her late twenties. She and her hobby live on the Sunday Coast, about ten minutes from where I am, and they've got a baby girl. Because we only do girls in our fare. Yeah, here's I'm a grandparent, Yeah, young the math's maths, yes, yea. And so she's two and a half. And then then the next one is about to get married, so she's in her mid twenties. And we've got an early twenties baby as well.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: And then our fourth daughter just finished high school last year and she's about to take a gap year. So she's having a gap year this year, but she's extending it into sort of two two and a half years, doing a bit of travel and working herself out, which is a huge fan of gap years. But that's the school conversation that's coming up. My fifth daughter is at school here on the coast called the Industry School. We transitioned her out of a regular school environment, homeschooled for a bit, and then in yettend she said, I want to go back to school, so we put her into the Industry School for a bunch of reasons we can discuss or not if we have time. And then my youngest we pulled her out of school I think in grade one might have been grade two, I think, and she's homeschooled, so she's doing year six at the moment at home, but realistically, because she's homeschool she's kind of doing like year seven maths, and she's doing year nine health and pe, and she's doing year whatever. Like homeschool just has been delightful for us and also very very taxing, but really good for her.
Speaker 2: And what were your reasons for transitioning to homeschooling. Is it the schooling system in general or was it your particular youngest daughter that you think thought might thrive in a homeschooling environment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Both. So we put our first four all the way through school the traditional way. They've gone all the way through to year twelve, and three of them are at UNI right now. Again because my fascination and encouragement of gap years, they've all gone back to Unich quite late and they're thriving because of it. The research shows that people pull the kids out of traditional schooling and put them into either ornative schooling or they homeschool them or distance it or whatever other options are there, mainly because of bullying. Neuudiversity is also really high on the list. And then there are just philosophical issues with the way the school system works. And I'm really careful to distinguish. I'm a massive believer in education. Education is so so important, and I believe that formalized education gives us a way of structuring and ensuring that we're not having too many gaps. So I'm big on education the school system have I work in schools almost every single day. I'm doing professional development teachers. I'm often working with students, and I do work with parents as well, so I do principal's conferences and all sorts of things. And I just think that the school system fails too many of our kids. So both of our kids, we pulled them out of school because they weren't quite fitting and because there was some pretty turgid bullying going on for one of them, and there was some university longes as well, and we just thought, we've persisted with four kids, let's just give this a break. So yeah, we got one at home, and like I said, Lily, she wanted to go back to school to complete her last couple of years. And when we talked about in the traditional school options, she was just like, none of them. There's so many schools, so many great schools near where we live, including both state schools and private schools, and none of them grabbed her. But this idea of the industry school. She's in grade eleven. Now she's got a school based apprenticeship, she's working with horses. She's just having an absolute ball doing stuff that she cares about, loves and wants to do. And we're delighted to see her thriving.
Speaker 2: What changes would you like to see in the schooling system?
Speaker 1: There are so many. There are so many. First of all, the whole system is so rigidly standardized. So secondly, the curriculum is both politicized and not always evidence based. Thirdly, we've got we've got really big challenges culturally. I spend a lot of time talking to teachers and school leaders at the very highest levels about what creates a a psychologically need supportive environment. And there are essentially just three factors, and schools tend to trample all three of them. So the three things that are going to help children. Education is not about learning anymore. Education is about benchmarks and box ticking. It's about rubrics and curriculum and just it's about evaluation, constant evaluation, and the devastating thing. Let's look at naplan or even a report card. What happens and this is something else that I will change. I just abolish grades. Yes, we're don't need grades. They're not They're not helpful at all. And I'll give you a counterpoint. I'll give you two counter points as to why. But when a child, I'll use napland as an example, a child submits themselves to the napland their parents so let school make them do naur plan. And then about four or five months later, because they've tightened it up it used to be six months. About four or five months later, they get this envelope from the government with their name and their scores.
Speaker 2: That brands them brand.
Speaker 1: It gives them a label. This is the band I'm in. And when a child gets that, whether it's on a report card or whether it's an official document from the government, well, let me ask you what does that say. What does that child internalize about what's on that piece of paper.
Speaker 2: Their belief system about their ability to learn and to be educated and their intelligence is based on that, and that's what they tend.
Speaker 1: To believe, right bingo. So there's this guy called Alfred Benet. He's a Frenchman. It's nineteen ten ish. He gets approached by the French government and they say, we've got all these students, we've got universal education, we've got all these students falling through the cracks. We'd like to advise a test to identify which ones aren't doing well so that we can support them and help them to do well. But they developed the very first ever IQ ten. So let me ask you this. When you do an IQ test, what do you get you hit the school, and what does the school tell you?
Speaker 2: Well, it tells you whether you're intelligent or you're not.
Speaker 1: And that just rolls off our tongue, right, it's just how smart you are. And the school system is designed to filter and sort and prepare children for stepping into careers and industry and that kind of thing. And it's just not designed for learning. It's not designed for passionate, it's not designed for education, it's not designed for discovery. Bene actually said. He said, a few modern philosophers assert that intelligence is a fixed quantity that cannot be increased. And check out this line. He says, we must protest and react against this brutal pessimism. That's right, And he talks about how we practice and with method and we can actually improve our intelligence. We can become more intelligent than we were before by learning how to do new things. But what the system does is it says, well, you're an in nine, so you have to learn about surds, like do you know what a serd is?
Speaker 2: And I may have been taught, but I did not retain that information.
Speaker 1: Second laughter came home one day She's like, Dad, what's a surd? And I'm like, are you telling me a toilet joke?
Speaker 4: Here?
Speaker 1: Like where is this going? And it turned out that she asked three different people with degrees if they knew what serds were, none of the beer. The only adult that she knew who could describe what a sord was was a maths teacher who was teaching her about serds that day. Now, so it's important. They probably are. From what I recall, there something called an irrational number. I don't know if that just means they're disgrigulated.
Speaker 2: Important to somebody the problem, maybe not to the majority of people.
Speaker 1: And see, you fall in love with learning when you're learning something that feels purpose for, something that you endorse, something that you see the value in. And that's why I failed high school because I didn't see the point. Because I was going to be a radio announcederent and I just needed to know which celebrity was in town and what they'd been up too lately, so if I could entertain my audience, I got really good at that. So if I was to change the school system back to your question at number one, oh sorry, in addition to the things that I've already said, I'd be looking for more more autonomy in in the way curriculum is crafted. And autonomy doesn't necessarily mean freedom. It doesn't mean carte blanche. It means that kids feel like they're choicefully in doing the activities they're doing. So it might be that everybody does actually need to learn how to write an essay. Essays are important. They distill your thinking, they help you to explore ideas well. But let's make sure that they understand the rationale and that they're writing about something that they care about, so that they can have that sense of Okay, I'm endorsing this activity. Therefore I'm doing it choicefully and willingly. Therefore it feels autonomous.
Speaker 2: It comes back to that questioning. When you're at home, you're giving them the options.
Speaker 1: Yep. So the style of parenting that I teach is called autonomy. Supportive or needs supportive parenting, and the same needs that I'm talking about that are absent in our school system, sorry, that are diluted and trampled on in our school system are the same needs that cans have at home. So the first one's autonomy. Again, that's not freedom, that's an understanding of why this matters and a choice to do it powerful. Secondly, it's relationship, like do I feel good with the people I'm around? We were talking before about connection. Here's my definition of connection feeling seen, heard, valued, accepted. So when I step in that school gate, is that someone that says, hey, come sit with us. Because if that happens, I feel seen, heard, valued and accept it. And if I don't, I don't want to be there. It's like you and me with the in laws. Right, if you don't get on with the in laws and it's Christmas lunch, I do not feel seen, heard, valued and accepted. Why don't you go? Hn, You take the kids, I'll clean up the house and get it ready for dinner. I've been a big morning. Yeah, right. And then the third, the third one is a sense of competence, capability, mastery, or a sense at least that I'm progressing. And what happens when you get a grade on a report card is now you feel like the teacher is evaluating you. So getting judged and judged. Yeah, so that's not good for relationships number two. And some people might say I'm straining. There's a whole lot of other things that we can talk about. We're time crunch So that's enough. Their competence. You find out real quick with your competent, not in the eyes of the teacher. Oh quick. Story about report cards. My fourth daughter, Annie, who just finished high school in grade three, she came home and handed her report card and started crying. And I'm like, you know, it sounds like you've got a bad report card, and she said, dam I did. And I had a look at the report card and there were a couple of bees and even at C or two. And I said, you know what, don't really care about the grade, just care that you tried.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I say.
Speaker 1: That's what every parent says, because that's what we've kind of been conditioned to say.
Speaker 2: Not all you'd be surprised, Well, I.
Speaker 1: Get from it. Yeah, that's true. I did get a bit of pushback on this, but anyway, I said that because I thought it was the right thing to say, and I got a peroge to do a psychologist, so therefore I've been a good dad. And then she burst into tears again because she got a C for effort in one of her subjects, and I said, well, what happened here? And she's through her heaving sobs, She's like, I tried so hard, but the teacher's perception of her effort.
Speaker 2: Exactly and exactly what happens in our personal home.
Speaker 1: So I haven't looked through it card since then. Well, I literally just for all the kids were still at school, and when the report cards came in, I said, I don't care, not interested. My interest with you being at school is do you have friends and you're happy to be there? That'll do me And I guess what. They're all contributing, and they're all doing really well in their lives, and it didn't actually harm them at all. I think that it benefited them. So we've got a sense of mastery and confidence, we've got relationship and a sense of choice. They're the three big things. And if I could change anything, it would be that I would make schools feel more need supportive and they're just unfortunately for too many, not all, but for too many of our children, they're not. I want to give you a quick example of a cutting edge, very very thoughtful school leader in Sydney that I met with just a couple of months ago who's changing the way they're doing reporting. And I should highlight this guy's working out one of the most prestigious and old and expensive private schools in Sydney, so they're moving away from the traditional reporting, right it needs to happen. And what he's doing is he's saying in his classes and across their school. Now they're just trialing it, but they're saying, here's where you were at the start of the year, here's where you are now, and here are your next steps.
Speaker 2: Brilliant.
Speaker 1: So instead of a grade or instead of a fixed quantity or evaluation, it's just an indication of progression. Are you improving? And your instant response is brilliant. And I've thought about it NonStop since he talked to me about it, because I really like to pick at what schools are doing and talk about how they're getting it wrong. And I can't see anything wrong with this. I love it. And at an adult level. I've just started with a PT I'm trying to get in shape. I've let myself go for too long and enough. Well it's only a couple of months, but I'll take it.
Speaker 2: You're a grandfather, now this is great.
Speaker 1: I can't wait until I've got grandkids and I can say, let's see, you can do more push ups. Anyway, I'm looking at this at a PTE level, and I was in the gym a couple of weeks after I had this conversation with this school leader and my PT. I'm doing these calisthenic sort of things, so there's a lot of weights, it's more body weight things, and I'm doing this really challenging thing and I'm finally at a point where I'm like, oh, I got it, and the PT is like, high five this pump. You did it. That's great. You know three months ago you couldn't even do this, and now you've going to boom boom boom. He literally make you feel. I was like my top of door, I know. And then he said here's what we're working towards, and he demonstrated the next thing and I looked at it. I was like, I reckon, I could do that. And I got down on the four and tried to do it, and I fell in a heap in half a second, and I was like, I'm so motivated because that is a real challenge. But look what I've done in three months. That's the model that that school is going to. And in terms of psychological theory, in terms of motivational theory, in terms of well being, oh my goodness, Like if we could just run that across the nation, that would change schooling forever in profound ways.
Speaker 2: I think all of us who have been through schooling and the ones who are still there are haunted by grades at that received. So I'd love to see some type of evolution there as well. And I'm the same as you. I don't well, I look at the reports, but I don't discuss them really with my children. I was I was sort of stupid, and I probably am pretty much like you and go to the effort level of like where where's where's the effort grade? If that's pretty much the one that I'm concerned about. But I thought I was stupid too. I always thought I was stupid. Funny, because my brain has told me that I was not that clever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, isn't that tragic? Because what I've discovered is that there's no such thing as smart or dumb. There's just people who get stuck in and figure it out, and people who don't, and.
Speaker 2: People who can retain information better, people who some people pass street smart, people who are books smart, people who are creative.
Speaker 1: That's just because they've practiced it, right, Like I can't retain any information about how my car or my lawn mower or my computer work. But that's because I only have to try to deal with those issues when they come up. I don't know once ever, three months, six months, nine months, if I was doing it every day, I'd retain it. I'd know how to feel you cared about it, and if I cared about it, yeah, So again, I don't Howard Garden to come up with this under of multiple intelligences, and that's been just proven pretty thoroughly. Basically, if you work at something, you get better at it, and if you don't, you don't. And we have applied these words like smart and dumb completely unfairly and inappropriately. Anyone can kind of pretty much almost not I would say almost anyone. Some people really do have some limitations and Unfortunately that just that's a real challenge for them and their families. But if we can move beyond our limited beliefs, it's extraordinary what we can do. I thought I was dumb, and then I got a PhD and became a university lecturer and people pay me to talk to them about stuff that I know, Like, hello, can I just talk about this for one more second about boys?
Speaker 2: You can, But I just want to ask you one question. Do you still think you're dumb?
Speaker 1: I don't care. It's not all that day anymore. Yeah, Like, do I think I'm smart and dumb? I don't think about it. I just figure stuff out or I don't, based on whether I care about it or not. And so if I care about it, then I'm smart enough to figure it out, because all humans are.
Speaker 2: That's the beauty of age as well. Yeah, caring what other people thing tell me about boys. I want to bring this up because you are you are writing, or you have written already now a book specifically on boys. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I don't want to turn this into a plug for the book, although I will just mention that it's twenty seven percent off right now, both you dot Commada, you and pre orders really matter and it comes out in June, so link in this show. There we go. But no, that's not what I wanted to bring it up. For the reason I wanted to highlight it is because when it comes to education, our boys are falling behind. In fact, on almost every metric that we look at, boys are falling behind. And some people will say, well, go girl power, that's fantastic, and I would say, yeah, that is fantastic. I've got six daughters. I want my girls to succeed and have every opportunity. But the world doesn't work if one gender is falling behind. At the risk of being a little bit sexist about this, especially if it's boys, Like we can't have thriving, happy women if we do not have thriving, happy boys, when we have non viable boys socially and economically, when we have boys who are non thriving, they unfortunately can be quite destructive and quite harmful.
Speaker 2: Is this a new thing that's being seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well we've always We've always had boys struggling in various things. That's just the way of the world. But girls have also had their struggles. But over the last ten or fifteen years, the data has become increasingly concerning, so much so that there are governments around the world who are looking at the data and saying, oh, my godness, if we do not help boys, especially in education, especially with their mental health, especially with their physical health, especially with their employment prospects, their earnings, and the list goes on their involvement with criminal behavior, their addictions, and their substance use. If we don't have You know, a male is between three and four times more likely to die by suicide than a female will is. Nine people are day straight as suicide. Seven of them are men. Now any of them regards that the gender is too much, but two women, seven men or boys. Every single day, like yesterday and today, and tomorrow it will be another nine and the day after, and every time it happens a family, it's just obliterated. My nephew died at twenty. He took his life about two and a half years ago, and so having experienced it, as you can tell, it definitely makes me emotional. And so much of this goes back to not all of it, not all of There are other factors like what happened pre natally and personatally, and what happened with alcohol and their families and whether their parents are functional and all that kind of. There are so many factors, but the one of the big contributing factors to boys thriving and becoming both economically and socially viable is their ability to do well at school. And here's the thing. For every ten girls in primary school, every ten girls in primary school who was suspended, and that's a pretty serious thing, right, there are fifty seven boys. Research shows that there is and I hate saying this for any teacher who's listening. I'm so sorry to say this, but the data is really clear on this. There is a bias against boys in education because we want kids to sit down, be quiet, listen and take note, to pay attention, work with one another. And you're not what boys want to do when they're in class. They want to stare out the window. They want to kick the seat of the person in front of them. They want to poke someone in the ribs. They want to put a spit water in a pen and flick it across the room. They want to do anything except learn about serds. Right, And so what happens is the boy plays up a little beer, the teacher rouses on him, and you know what it's like like when somebody starts to annoy you, you become predisposed to respond to them more quickly and more sharply. And the data shows that teachers will speak in shorter, more clip sentences to boys than to girls. They turn their body towards girls more when they talk to them. There's this full open stands, whereas with boys they might look over their shoulder and say a short command like correction and direction right. And what we see is that by the time they get into high school, we have around about ten For every ten girls who graduate, we have about seven point nine to eight point three, depending on the state boys who graduate high school. Now, this is a challenge because when we get into the university setting, a straight I think has forty four universities, and in forty two of those universities, girls out number the boys. Girls are going to university at much higher rates. For every ten girls in the university, there are only six point nine boys. For every girl who graduates university, there are approximately six boys I should say men, because by the time they're graduating there well into their twenties. And so what we see is research around dating is fascinating. The research around coupling shows that women, in spite of all the women's movement stuff, and this even happens in the most militarian countries in the world, like your northern Scandinavian countries and the Denmarks and Swedens, who are just totally all good with let's be equal women. In fact, women in those nations tend to move more towards more traditional gendered roles. Interestingly, but I digress women across the Western world, and even more so not in the Western world, they look to partner economically and educationally across or up. In other words, generally speaking, women are looking for somebody at least as educated as them and hopefully earning more than them. They want somebody who can provide and protect and education and income make you economically viable as a guy. But you're more likely to be economically viable if you finished high school than if you don't. If you finish high school, you are going to earn approximately three to four hundred thousand dollars across the lifespan. More it's probably even more than that. Now this is a twenty nineteen report, than somebody who doesn't finish high school. Finish high school, your earnings are going to be about fifty percent higher than somebody who doesn't finish high school. Like that, three hundred thousand must have gone up since Sam, because if you do university, your numbers go up even more. Right, So girls are getting all this education and they're becoming really economically viable, and unfortunately they're looking across and going, I'm not sure what's really on offer, Like show me the guy who's going to be a bonus. I actually had a conversation with a woman in her forties. She was divorced. She was a friend, so I was appropriate that I had this personal conversation with her and I said, are you going to get back into the dating thing it's been a few years, and she said, no, I can't think of a single man that has shown up in my app who is actually going to be a bonus in my life. I'm going to be the cook, I'm going to be the cleaner, I'm going to be this, that and the other. I'm looking for a guy who'll be a bonus. What she's really saying is, I'm looking for a guy who is going to be economically and socially viable. And while over guys are hanging out in a moment over boys are hanging out in mom and dad's living room or in their bedroom and they're vaping, or they're gaming and playing Fortnite or nicking off and just turning into being a man child. They're not going to be able to distract the kind of mate who says, hey, let's make this work and let's go and create a viable family unit. All of that to bring it back to your question is how do we help school be better for boys? And the things that we've talked about are the kinds of things that will do that for them. Helping them to see the relevance, helping them to see the purpose, helping them feel like they're progressing, confidence, mastery, capability, having great relationships with teachers instead of having teachers who are biased against them, and having a sense of choice in what I'm doing, like I'm doing this because I'm interested in it. The data still shows, even in twenty twenty six, the boys really just want to get their hands dirty and move their bodies.
Speaker 2: I love your passion around this and I love that you Is this what your book is entailing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, I know much of that you're.
Speaker 2: Delving into deeply in the book, which is so important I think with boys too, know, the young men that I've been around and when I talked to my mother in law about my husband and when he was a teenager and growing up, is that they tend to communicate a lot less than girls and disclose how they feel and able to verbalize their emotions. And I mean she has three sons, each of them are a different experience, but just talking about one in particular, yeah, the one that I live with, and men like I just feel like in particular, in general, men struggle to share emotions and communicate more than women do. And are you finding that can be an underlying issue with some of the bigger issues that boys are encountering in their lives.
Speaker 1: This is partly a skills issue. Unfortunately. The research shows that when we're emotionally inarticulate, when we're emotionally illiterate, the risk of depression goes up, the risk of anxiety goes up, the risk of suicide skyrockets because we're feeling these things and we don't know how to communicate them properly. And men, far more than women struggle with that, particularly men in their forties and fifties. They're the cohort typically in most nations that are most likely to die by suicide. But you think about it, I'm a let's say I'm a forty or a fifty year old man, and I haven't been particularly emotionally responsive. I'm a little bit disregulated. I show my emotions only when I'm angry. I've had Everything's fine, I'm fine, not bad. Everything it's fine, and so and so. For whatever reason, I'm not getting along with my wife. I'm not getting along with the kids. My wife says, let's pull the pin, and I've had enough, let's try a separation. Now I'm living on my own in a unit, so my relationship need I don't have anyone around me because all of my friends were actually the husbands of my wife's friends, because that's often how it goes for guys. So I'm relationally that needs not being supported. I'm feeling incoonfident because my relationships are a mess and the rug's been pulled out from under me. I didn't choose this, this has been done to me, and so my basic psychological needs through the floor. And then I start drinking too much alcohol. Maybe I start taking other substances as well. I probably get way too involved with pornography, but basically I'm just feeling like I'm crap. And this is why we see so many men in their forties and fifty struggling if if we can help boys and men. A lot of people say, oh, you're feminizing boys by getting to talk about their emotions. You don't have to talk about your emotions. What you do need is an environment where you feel safe and secure and to.
Speaker 2: Be able to verbalize what is going on in here, so it's no longer just simmering inside. And I think a lot of the problem comes from when it's simmering inside and people around you are unsure of what's actually going on. What are they thinking? Is it about me? Is it something else? Can I help? Yeah, that conversation is so important.
Speaker 1: We're moving away from parenting a little bit here, but it's worth relationship. Yeah, it's worth the boy becomes the man males and females. Females already do this naturally, and this is why it's tricky because men, whether it's socialized or not, whether it's nature or nurture, is irrelevant. Men are not naturally predisposed to having these kinds of conversations. But if a guy's got a couple of maids that he can get together and have productive not beer drinking, let's just hate the world. Let's not turn into in cells here. But if he's got a couple of mates that he can have productive conversations with, that is life.
Speaker 2: Saving, even for teenage boys.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you know what, it was really interesting going back to boys for a sec emotionally when it comes to empathy, when boys have this massive testosterone spikes. So there are three testosterone spikes in a boy's life that are life changing, and this is why boys and girls are different because of this, Like this is the hormone that dominates us and divides us.
Speaker 2: So what are those age groups?
Speaker 1: First of all in utero, so girls also have a testosterone spoken in utero, but boys have two, three, maybe even four times as much, just massive explosion and that sets the brain on its path. The second one is about six months of age, there's this other boom, massive explosion of testosterone, and then as puberty, onto the puberty, boys at that point have between twenty and thirty times the testosterone coursing through their system, as do girls. Twenty to thirty times. Right, this is why they turn into both heads. What's going on? I don't know, well, why did you just hit your brother? Because right? But what's going on actually is that their empathy because of this testosterone drop. Their empathy as sorry, this testosterone surge, the empathy drops. There's two kinds of empathy. There's cognitive empathy, Oh, I get how you feel. And there's effective empathy. Oh. That must have been so hard. I'm feeling it too. I'm crying because you're crying that kind of thing. And what the data shows is that for boys, they're cognitive empathy. It's kind of steady and low from about the age of twelve or thirteen through until their late teams. For their affective empathy, the feeling part, it drops once testosterone surge hits and it doesn't recover until they're mid to late teens. Now, no, it's not like it's absent. We can still teach empathy, and in fact, I would argue it's even more important that we do. But this kind of explains why when you say to your teenager you need to talk like or why did you how do you think your sister feels when you call her that name and part of it. He kind of does know, but he doesn't care enough to bother putting in the effort to explore it, because the empathy is solo. It's fascinating everything that's going on with our boys versus our girls as they as they grow up, and then you chucking technology and all that sort of thing, and it just expounds the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so interesting. I'm very impressed with your ability to retain statistical information.
Speaker 1: I must be really smart. No such thing, but if it matters that you.
Speaker 2: Are throwing out, it's so interesting to know that you retain all of that.
Speaker 1: But that's because it matters, right, And because it matters, you just learn it.
Speaker 2: Justin what does a happy family look like?
Speaker 1: Oh? Three l's three l's love limits laughter. Love is very the very core, right, Like there's this saying. I don't know who invented it. Who invented word for saying? I don't know who coined the phrase first. It's been around for decades, like fifty sixty seventy years, but somebody once said to a child, love is spelled t im, Like I get weepy thinking about it. I get really emotional about it, because when you think about the very best times. If you ask your kids what are the best times we've had together, They're never They're never gonna look at him and say about last weekend when we all watched YouTube, Oh, that was the best. Or we went to our rooms and we got the game for an hour. That was the best day of my life. I don't say that. They say that time that we went for the walk along the beach and we found the thing and we had the adventure, or the holiday that we went on, or I remember one dad he had a little consult with me back when I still one on one stuff. His family was struggling, and I said, why don't we just why don't we just talk to the kids about the best thing in their day each day at the dinner table. Let's just try that. And he asked his daughter, what's the what's been the best time, the best thing in your day to day? And she was like, right now, I know I'm getting where you beat. Stop it. And so love, love is vital. There's there's one more thing that I want to say about love, because sometimes we look at our kids and we're like, I'm not sure if I love you at all right now, Like you're really taking me off. Over the years, my children have given me all sorts of challenges because that's what kids do. Just because you're a parenting expert doesn't mean that you have perfect kids. And I'm far from perfect as well. But I learned something when one of my children, in particular, they she put me through the ring in a way that I just have never experienced. This was the hardest two or three months that I might have ever enjoyed in my life. Clylie and I were like like we were questioning everything, questioning our marriage, like this was just exploding around us. And I'm thinking, I teach this stuff for a living, and I don't know how to deal with this, Like what what did everyone else do? At around about the three month mark in this ongoing saga with this child, I had this realization, and it was that she felt judged, she felt evaluated, She felt like there was too much correction and direction. She felt like she wasn't allowed to be herself. And I was at the I was the problem here. I am pointing a finger at her and saying you're the problem. And I was teaching a seminar about love, limits and laughter, and I thought, she's not feeling love. I can say I love her all day long, but if she's not feeling the love, the fact that I love her is irrelevant because she's not feeling it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So I sat down with her and I said, I've made a pretty big mess of things for the last couple of months, and here's what I need you to know. And then I share with the three most important words that any parent can ever hear there, any child can ever hear their parents say. And those three words are I love you. No no, bird, oh no, No, it's not I love you. It's the three words that come next. I said to her, I need you to know I love you no matter what, absolutely, unquestionably, in every way, regardless of anything that happens.
Speaker 2: And there's a huge difference, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unconditionally. Some people like, oh, there's a difference being conditional and unconditional love. No, there's not. If your love is conditional, it's not love. So hopefully that's something that you can't un hear, right, I love you no matter what. And I've used that line more times than I can count over the last ten or fifteen years with all my kids, especially when they don't deserve it like at the hardest times. Recently, I had the opportunity to say not just that to one of my children, but she said, yeah, but Dad, I've made this mistake that I've made is so big. And she held out her arms like she was showing me how big it was, like, this is how big the fish I caught was that kind of thing. And I said, that is a that is a really big mistake, like that is a big, big error. And I said I've got some good news for you, and she's like what And then I put my arms out as why as they go, Oh gosh, I'm getting weeping, And I said to her, your mistake is this big, but my.
Speaker 4: Love for you is this big. It's a big ache. Yeah, so I can I can envelop you and the mistake and we're still good. And so when I say kids need love to thrive. That's what makes a happy family, Oh my goodness, they need that. You don't always have to be soppy and make people like me cry because of the stories.
Speaker 2: Feel so bad because I came in here feeling so loved and now I've made you cry.
Speaker 1: I'm sniffling into the microphone as well. That's disgusting.
Speaker 2: So beautiful to see your dad wearing his heart on his sleeve like this and cherry. It is absolutely a moment that I won't forget seeing it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: So anyway, we have to have limits, and we set limits better when we set limits together rather than autocratically. And we have to have laughter. Like the happiest families, they have fun. They splash in the water, they go to the beach and they go to escape bowl, or they throw off frisbee, or they.
Speaker 2: Even light humor in their house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they tell you. My daughter gave me this one the other day. She said, hey, Dad, what's an HD? Let me ask you what's an HD?
Speaker 2: I'm asking the questions on this podcast.
Speaker 1: I said, I don't know, and she said, I don't know whither. But the doctor said, I've got eighty of them.
Speaker 2: Hang on, got it? Got it. It's terrible, but I got it.
Speaker 1: And those kinds of things just so fun. I was looking at the ceiling in this podcast studio. I'm sure our time is up and I should stop talking, but I was looking at this. I thought, that's a great ceiling. I mean, it's not the best in the world, but it sure is up there.
Speaker 2: What I haven't even looked up. Thank you for making me look up and find a new perspective. And I think that's what you've done today.
Speaker 1: You missed the gag though, but I have.
Speaker 2: I'm terrible with and justin if you have to explain a joke and means it's not funny, it's not the best in the world, but it sure is up there. But honestly, I got it. I got it now. I'm sorry, is pointing now? Pointing now? But you have given us so many different perspectives on parenting and a reframe that I think so many of us need sometimes And for me, you know, big takeaways are asking questions, getting children involved in decision making, making them see what the right pathway is for them by asking the right questions, and of course showing them so much love. As you know the name of the podcast, it's things you can on here and I want you to share just in wrapping up, one thing is you can't unhear moment that you had that you learned about parenthood that changed the way that you saw the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think has got to be the no matter what stuff, of all the things that I say, of all things that I do, all the things that I've learned of everything that the kids have put me through. Kids just text you, they try you. There's nothing easy about being a parent, so let it be hard, like don't fight that. This is what parenting is. And the great irony is as you accept that it's going to be hard, ironically becomes a lot less hard and you.
Speaker 2: Went back six times so that it's great at the same time, right, and love.
Speaker 1: Them no matter what and make sure that they know it.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for your time today. Please check out doctor Justin Coulson's podcast. It is brilliantly such a resource there and I've recently listened to a couple of episodes which I wanted to bring up today, but they're all completely new topics that I think we should be delving into around schooling systems, ADHD, medication, boys, and so much more. Again, thank you so much for.
Speaker 1: Your time, so much.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the show. What did you think and what did you feel? Let us know by leaving me a message on the things you can't unhear Instagram community page and if you can give us some rating glove on your favorite listening platform.