Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Friday, December nineteen, twenty twenty five. Anthony Albanezi is pivoting hard to deal with the problem of anti Semitism. After an exhausting week in which we've all felt what Nicholas Jensen calls a continental shelf of rage and grief, the federal government will legislate a crackdown on anti Semitism and hate preachers from universities to border force.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: Yonnie Bachan and Nicholas Jensen join me to debate how things will play out from here. For this episode, I was joined in the studio by two of the Australians most thoughtful people, opinion editor Nicholas Jensen and senior journalist Yonnie Bashan. The first voice you'll hear is Nicholas.
Speaker 3: Everything still feels very raw and I think the emotion is kind of ratcheting up.
Speaker 4: What's been both your reads. I suppose that the last twenty four.
Speaker 5: Hours disappointment after disappointment after disappointment until today, I felt that the Prime Minister's announcements today and the government's announcement on what they were going to do were welcome, overdue and still clearly in development. They're clearly scrambling for answers to this. But I think these are solutions that should have been supplied months ago. I don't know why he had to wait another four days to announce them, but here we are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, overdue. I think a lot of people are thinking that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the Prime Minister's attitude from the beginning of this crisis has been shock and horror, like so many of us felt initially. But then I think he went very quickly and probably too quickly, towards But isn't Australia great. Isn't it wonderful that brave people stepped up and more lives were not lost. Then he started talking about gun law reform, and that's where I think he completely misread the mood. So it is only on Thursday, four days after the crisis, that the government, the Commonwealth Government, has begun talking seriously about recalling Parliament and indicated that they're now working on hate speech laws, cracking down on anti Semitism in terms of language and acts, new visa rules, and dealing with the hate preachers who have helped create so much of this environment.
Speaker 3: Yesterday I looked at the transcripts of some of the interviews he did doing the media rounds, and when he got up today at Parliament, he was reproducing a lot of those stock lines that he has about what the government's doing.
Speaker 4: And you do get the sense that he's.
Speaker 3: Kind of almost like an earnest bank clerk, is running through a.
Speaker 4: Checklist that he's satisfied that he's got right.
Speaker 3: But my sense is that he's not tapping into the mood or tapping into an emotional register that people want from their national leader. There's this continental shelf of rage and grief, and people want that reflected, I think in their leader.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the.
Speaker 5: Other grave misstep that I think he and other ministers have made is defending their record on this for the last four days, saying well, we've done more than any other government has done, and we've done this, we've done this, and we've thrown money at this and that, and then a few days later saying well, we clearly haven't done enough, and now we're going to scramble in, pull all these other resources together and enact all of the solutions that you've been asking for for months. I think that just betrays a leader and a government that is in a tactical war to try and bet this down, rather than a government that actually sees and diagnoses a problem and tries to fix it. I mean, if I had to use a word to describe the government over the past few days, it's that it's misdiagnosed the problem the entire time. I mean, what was the first thing that Anthony Albinizi did. He started looking at gun law reform. That's great, but that's scratching at the age. It's the root course of the problem is this anti semitism issue. And for whatever reason, and we all have our theories on it, the government's just been in and dial about how to handle this.
Speaker 1: It was only on Thursday that the Prime Minister admitted that he's done things wrong. He hasn't done things perfectly since October seventeen, twenty three, and the change in tone in twenty four hours is remarkable and I think I'd.
Speaker 2: Love to know what you guys think.
Speaker 1: There can be no denying that this is because Josh Frodenberg went down to Bondi Beach and made a speech that hit all the notes that the Prime Minister has failed to hit in the past few days. It was raw, it was angry, it was emotional, and it's set out very logically the intellectual progression from antisemitism as an idea to violent action.
Speaker 5: I almost feel in my cynical heart of hearts that talking more about ISIS and magnifying the role of ISIS in this provides an escape patch for the Prime Minister not to talk as much about anti Semitism, because Isis, yes, is anti Semitic, but ISIS is actually just she had us an anti Western and I worry that that has been strategic and possibly tactical in its deployment outwardly. What this government has done is push Israel away further than any other Australian government has done in generations. And that would suggest that Anthony Albinezi, which is talking about him, just doesn't like Israel very much. And he was also, i believe, the convenor of Labor Friends of Palestine several decades ago.
Speaker 1: That's right, This is student politics kind of for grown ups, isn't it. You know they were both labor from their adolescence and labor left, and one of the shibbiliths of the labor left is that Israel is a colonizing state and is illegitimate. Free Palestine is kind of what they bang on about at Young Labor meetings on university campuses. The difference in October seven, twenty twenty three is that that idea then spilled into the mainstream and became a thing on social media that Abby Chatfield was talking about. But why then, when most are the kind of sensible adults who are on that progression that you have from uni leftism to sensible center, why were they not able to go with the grown ups.
Speaker 3: It's often said that since he's been PM that he is trying to find a more consensual position and more centrist position. I should say that appeals to a broad Australian electorate and not be too politically left or so on. But I suppose when it comes to issues like Israel and other things too, you do wonder whether the old activism is just below the surface.
Speaker 5: My take on it is they don't hate Israel. Yeah, they like Israel. I don't know why Anthony Albanezi hasn't just gone to Israel. That really amuses me. I'm still confused as to why Penny One went to Israel and didn't go to the southern villages. That just makes no sense to me. I don't believe that these people despise or dislike Israel, and they definitely don't feel that way about Jeus.
Speaker 4: I think they like Jews.
Speaker 5: I don't think there's any reason for them not to. I just think they're political animals and they want to win elections, and I think that's what this is about. At the end of the day.
Speaker 1: One of the saddest things that's unfolded in the past couple of days is seeing people being targeted for either being Jewish or for helping Jews. Mister Ahmed, the hero to back and as who crash tackled the shooter, has been criticized by people in his own Muslim community for helping Jews. Jewish businesses a smoke salmon bagel shop in Bondi, Various bakeries have been publicly targeted with one star reviews or zero star reviews just because they are Jewish. And you can see that there is a targeted campaigning going on. You told me earlier today about businesses you know who you feel are retreating from public Jewishness. Is that a new development because of the violence, or is it exhaustion from seeing no action being taken and resulting in this.
Speaker 5: I don't think we can discount the exhaustion, that's certainly true. But what I can tell you is that after October seven, and I'm talking about in the months after October seven, Jewish business has experienced a wave. For some it would have been a trickle one. For others it would have been a wave, but they would have received a lot of hate either of their eyes, you know, people spitting in front of their shop, or it would have happened online in the ways that you described. And I think the difference now is that whereas then the worst that could happen is words can never hurt me. It's you know, unlike sticks and stones. After an incident like we had to over the weekend, we know that this is much more real than any.
Speaker 2: Of us have dreamed.
Speaker 5: And so I think that's why people having second thoughts about how they want to express their identity publicly. I think that's one of the saddest parts about all this.
Speaker 1: The Prime Ministers now appointed David Gonski, who is proudly Jewish. He's a very senior Australian businessman. He's been Chancellor of the University of New South Wales for twenty years to lead a review and a forward looking report recommending how universities should handle antisemitism in the future.
Speaker 2: God, there's a lot to do in universities, isn't there.
Speaker 4: Nick, Yeah, there is. I know we've all spoken a lot about it.
Speaker 3: I suppose on the Gonski appointment, from what I've read and can see, is that he probably hasn't been at the spearhead of university leaders speaking very openly and vocally about this. Two weeks ago, Jennifer Westercott at Western Sydney University spoke out very very strongly about these things and actually was I think probably the only university leader that spoke in great detail about how students were being sanctioned and they were taking discipline reactions.
Speaker 4: So that's kind of my take.
Speaker 1: How does either Anthony Alberanezi or Josh Freedenberg persuade Australians that they're going to have to accept some limitations on free speech? For example, are we going to be allowed to chant globalize the interfata anymore? The UK has now banned that phrase and said that people will be arrested.
Speaker 5: And by the way, who else chances that phrase the Union movement Unions for Palestine will hold up science saying quite globalized, the anti fighter, but Unions for antifarter that's awkward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've already accepted the banning of Nazi symbols of the Heil Hitler gesture. Yeah, so now it's about persuasion for Albanize, isn't it?
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 3: But I think this problem exists right across the spectrum. I think there's also a massive reckoning here on the right. It's a massive reckoning among those that might identify themselves as say classical liberals or of a kind of right wing philosophy of that kind. And you know, I broadly associate myself with that, And I think that means that you have a very high bar for free speech, and that means you have people like David Irving allowed to come into Australia, you know, probably the world's most infamous Holocaust denio.
Speaker 1: Who has been banned over the past forty years from entering this country.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then also we had Candae Owens that recently got knocked back to some extent. The old classical liberal line essentially goes from the assumption of these people are provably wrong on their substantive points, their falsifiers of history, and what they are spouting is perversion. And I think in the past that position has kind of been okay because social media didn't really exist in the same way, and I think a lot of people could assume a consensus, mainstream opinion out there that would know these people are wrong. Now I do not think that exists, and I'm not coming here with answers to that, but I think this is part of the problem, is that everything is now so shattered.
Speaker 4: How do we stop what happened on Sunday?
Speaker 3: People are going to have to change, you know, maybe that some pretty fundamental things about what they believe.
Speaker 1: Coming up more of my conversation with Nick Jensen and Johnnie Bishann't.
Speaker 5: Can I ask you, Claire, you know one thing I'm seeing, and I know I'm echoing the views of a lot of people, is that we're seeing more conviction out of Chris Mins than we are out of the PM. And there are certainly some people out there who would be thinking to themselves, why isn't that guy our prime minister?
Speaker 4: This just for the week?
Speaker 5: What is it about men's that makes him different from Albanesi in terms of how he feels about this and why is he more believable and credible.
Speaker 2: He's phenomenally articulate. Mins.
Speaker 1: He's in the labor right as opposed to the labor left, so he doesn't have a position to defend in terms of Palestine. Josh Frodenberg was critical of Chris Mins though that was a moment for Mens. Frodenberg said, well, Premier, the marches over the harbor Ridge happened in you state.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he did try and stop him.
Speaker 1: Yes, but as Fredenberg said, he did try and stop it. The police went to the Supreme Court and got rejected. Frog said, will change the law. What have you thought as everyone says, wow, Christmas is amazing this week.
Speaker 4: Well, he just seems to.
Speaker 3: As we were talking before about the kind of emotional register or trying to trying to capture the mood of the public, he seems to do that in the way Albanezi just can't. And he speaks very fluently, and also before this crisis though whenever there were questions about anti Semitism and even other issues, he doesn't seem tightly managed. He seems like he's someone who's prepared to respond on instinct, and that serves him very very well.
Speaker 2: He never talks about the rules based global order, does he, or.
Speaker 4: Programmatic specificity or anything like that. But contrast that to Elbow.
Speaker 3: I mean the thing with Elbow to some extent is that he can reach that emotional register. Take, for instance, when the Pope died, it was very clear that he was deeply moved by that.
Speaker 1: He was very articulate too about the social media ban for under sixteens. He spoke about the grieving families who'd come to see him and begged him to take action, and he was doing it. You don't often get two opportunities in public life, Yanni. Do you think we will see him visit Israel in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 5: I think it would be prudent if he did. I don't think any harm would come if he didn't. I've always wondered, again Penny Wong, our foreign minister not going to the southern villages in Israel. I don't understand what political capital was gained or held by doing that. I saw only political capital being burned. I saw nothing good having come out of that. And I feel the same way about Anthony Albanezi. What is lost by visiting Israel. What is betrayed by visiting Israel? But what is given up by not going? Well everything, No one believes that you truly identify and connect with this issue if you can't go and shake hands with Bibi Netanyahu and visit the Southern the Southern village.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I see yourself. I know that that's important.
Speaker 3: But I would really like to see whether he might go down to the Great Synagogue. I'd really like to see what would happen here if he did that. Now, if he did that, now he went to.
Speaker 2: An interfaith service at the Catholic estrue.
Speaker 4: He did he did? Now?
Speaker 3: Actually, I think yesterday was kind of a big day, I reckon in the history of this country.
Speaker 4: Had a lot happened.
Speaker 3: You know, Friedenberg's down there delivering this huge speech that seems to be a landmark. We had this extraordinary moment on the steps of Saint Mary's at this interfaith service that you referred to, where the archbishop is chiding the Prime minister. I mean it's huge. It's like Daniel Mannix around the time of the referenda for World War One, criticizing our Billy Hughes say, it's a pretty extraordinary thing.
Speaker 2: Nick.
Speaker 5: In many years from now, we're going to be looking back on these events. You'll be recounting them to maybe your grandkids. Even what is the most striking memory of Sunday that you're going to be recounting to them.
Speaker 3: One image that I won't forget is of one of the gunmens seeming to water away are passers by as he was shooting into the crowd of Jews celebrating Haneker, as if to say, I'm not interested in killing you, I'm only interested in killing Jews.
Speaker 1: That's the moment that shows that this was connected to anti Semitism, right that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, can be no other can be no other response to that.
Speaker 1: I suppose I'll never forget people sprinting in terror from the sand at Bondai Beach.
Speaker 2: We've seen shark alarms before.
Speaker 1: We usually think the peril is in the water and we've all got the jaws them in our head when we go to the beach. We've seen people run out of the water in fear. I've never seen people run from the sand in fear at this place, which is you know, so deer all of our hearts as Australians. It's holidays, it's summer, it's Christmas and you know, Australians were terrified en mass for really one of the first times I've ever seen.
Speaker 5: I think I'll remember Ruven Morrison, one of the older gentlemen who didn't know he was being filmed and confronted one of the gunmen with a brick and he threw it at one of the shooters. He was one of the fatalities. He was one of the people who was murdered. And I'm just awestruck by the bravery of him, and obviously the bravery of all the other people involved, but particularly a very elderly gentleman who put himself directly in harm's way, may have even known that he would have died doing what he was doing and throwing a brick at a gunman, knowing that it's not going to be a great consequence, but trying anyway.
Speaker 4: I just think it's outstanding. Well, Thanks Johnny, Thanks Claire.
Speaker 2: Thanks me.
Speaker 1: Thanks Nicholas Jensen is the Australians Opinion editor and Johnny Bashan is a senior journalist. You can read all the latest on this developing story right now at the Australian dot com dot Au