Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That? The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed, And as always I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner and the founder of Sugar Mummer TV, the financial literacy platform that covers YouTube, podcast, books, TikTok threads, everything, including our upcoming book that we wrote together called Twelve Months to Financial Freedom. You're excited about it coming out.
Speaker 2: I'm really excited. I'm really proud, and I think this is going to make life so much easier because you've got literally a roadmap to follow, step by step, month by month, and you can take it at your own pace. And this is what creates real results, something that you can actually see and feel and enjoy. It hopefully inspires you to just keep going with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it deals with that issue that I always have, which is where do you start and if you hit kind of roadblocks, how do you get past them? We talk through all of that.
Speaker 2: And we share all of hacks and secrets and tricks, you know, and it's I think I must say it's life changing. Oh I like that.
Speaker 1: We shall put that on the cover twelve Months to Financial Freedom, which is coming out on the first of September, but pre orders are available now. A fun one for us today. Well, I think it could be fun. It should be fun for you as well. Because you have been a financial planner for quite some time.
Speaker 2: I think, like twenty four years. I'm feeling really old.
Speaker 1: That's that's it just means you're experienced.
Speaker 2: I got in the industry very very young. Yeah, and it was all males. I was the only female.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're the only four year old working as a financial.
Speaker 2: Best friend just paid for itself, that's all it took.
Speaker 1: Okay. I want to know today, the financial advice that's been around forever, like those the old advice that you hear about kind of save ten percent of your income and stay loyal to providers and they'll look after you. I want you to give me ten. Just the look on your face, the y heart is boiling, the eye rolling that is going on right now. Ten pieces of financial advice that don't actually work anymore easy, I'll give you twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I have managed to keep this at ten because you've worked with my OCD issues.
Speaker 1: Yes, you do make it tough on occasion. Let's go with number one.
Speaker 2: All right, just work harder.
Speaker 1: That's that is Actually I have heard that.
Speaker 2: You know what, Tom says that to me. Really, I don't know if we can swear, but it really pisses me off. He's like, I just shut up and work harder, just work harder, just to get a rise out of me. Really, maybe a pot thrown.
Speaker 1: And it doesn't work, doesn't necessarily because yes, there are times when just maybe changing your attitude to work is going to help, but it's not.
Speaker 2: But also like a lot of people, including myself, are already working incredibly hard and you know, and a lot of people are you know, also working really hard, still struggling, So it doesn't Actually it's not actually good advice at all, doesn't help at all. The reality is that today, you know, getting ahead is a combination of different things and essentially working smarter, not harder. But you know, it's a combination of investing, negotiating better terms and conditions, upskilling, investing in yourself, you know, building up other income sources, whether it be you know, a side hustle or even learning how to use technology. To add more efficiency in your life. So no, it's not about working harder, it's about working smarter.
Speaker 1: Okay, shall we put that one in the bin?
Speaker 2: Yes with Tom?
Speaker 1: Did you just put your life partner in the bin?
Speaker 2: It? He says it just to get a rise out of me. The love of your lifey and churist. That's his hobby.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good. See, that's probably why he and I would get on so well so well, because we share a hobby which is antagonizing you. Okay. The second piece of bad advice or outdated advice that can get in the bin.
Speaker 2: And that is buy a home as soon as possible.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So look a lot of people renting. Besting is actually the smart thing to do and actually works better for their their needs and their tastes. And you know where they might work their finances. That's where you live, rents somewhere and then buy a house as an investment property, you know where it suits your goals.
Speaker 1: Perhaps more affordable like a royal.
Speaker 2: Regional bub yeah, or you know an apartment in the city and whilst you go and live and rent a house. The other thing is you know some people and I know personally these people they don't want to go and buy a home. They don't want the responsibility that the idea of a mortgage creates a huge amount of financial stress, but also emotional stress, feeling that they are trapped, they're stuck. You know, they're going to have to stay living in that area, you know, for a long period of time, so you know, and for some people not the right timing as well.
Speaker 1: It's kind of the Australian default though, isn't it that you are going to buy a place at some point and live in that, whereas other countries, particularly European countries, that the rental culture is fantastic and that's all you will do, yeah, for life.
Speaker 2: And the rental rules also very very different as well. You can do what you want to the property. You can have like a ten year rental agreement if you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you've got that security, that stability over a long period of time.
Speaker 2: So I think it's about doing you know, if you want to buy a home, that's great, nothing wrong with it, but do it on your terms and conditions. You know, that works for your cash flow, your goals and of course your lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: At number three, loyalty pays so This obviously applies to things like employers, banks, insurers, utilities, but we've all seen loyalty tax is really expensive. Actually, I was talking about this with Ali from the Today Show because I do this segment every Sunday morning on my personal Finance, and you know, she said, oh, you know, Lord, you tax sometimes gets called lazy tax, and I said, you know what, No, I think's actually now time poor tax because we're all working so hard. You know, we don't have the time to often pick up the phone. You know, it's too overwhelming, but a long list of things to do with responsibilities, and you know, we just don't we find the time. But loyalty tax is really expensive. We are sadly being ripped off, particularly when you look at what your banks are offering new customers versus what you're currently paying.
Speaker 1: And it's so counterintuitive, isn't it. You would think that you have been loyal, that you've been with something for ten years, and you always used to see kind of like the three year no claim bonus and stuff through your insurer, and you would assume that that's because you've been really loyal over a long period of time.
Speaker 2: And it's actually not, Well, you've been very trusting, but unfortunately that is ultimately a sense of being naive and we're wasting money.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay, I like that one, but the way that you have characterized it there as a time poor tax one hundred percent because I think everybody knows that you can get a better deal for most things if you shop around, but who has the time? I know it's because we just need to work harder. Okay, Tom, all right, settle down number.
Speaker 2: Four, Get a secure job and stay there. And this is you know, something like our grandparents or if our parents did you know they stayed with the one employer for like twenty years, wrapped up that long service leave. You know, yes, when our careers are you know, a linear back in the day, but today it's so different. You know, we all know that the biggest and best pay rises we get now when we move companies, yea, even move industries. That's when we've seen the big step up in our earning capacity. And a lot of us have multiple careers, multiple income sources. I mean, look, I podcast, do television, I do keynote, speaking books you know, books, yes, books, books very important and lead with that, you know, so that it doesn't actually work like that, and you know, careers really do evolve, and also because of AI, we do need to adapt and change, you know, and pivot. And there's obviously contracting work that side hustles, you know, it doesn't that is not the world. Really, It's about staying in a work or a job that's actually enjoyable and fulfilling and satisfying and never getting to that dangerous zone of actually staying comfortable and lazy.
Speaker 1: I find that one interesting because that has been an evolution away from that. Whereas security was valued, it seemed above security and loyalty to an employer, that the employer was loyal to you and you had security for a long period of time. But that has changed, and it has changed over the last few decades. And I think one of the recent stats that I saw when we're preparing for the book was a statistic around young people these days can expect to have I think it is seventeen different jobs across three to four different careers. Yeah, isn't that credible? And that is there is actually something quite fulfilling out of that as well, that not necessarily staying in a job that you may not enjoy, that you're actually chasing satisfaction and fulfillment as well as just financial security, which I think is really rewarding.
Speaker 2: Definitely and you know, your creative of your own destiny. It puts you back in the driving seat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, number five on this list of financial advice that doesn't really work anymore.
Speaker 2: So deep breath, this one gets me annoyed. Saved ten percent of your income.
Speaker 1: That is actually a real that used to be a piece of advice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's still unfortunately has a bit of a heartbeat. But Okay, it's not that the ten percent is bad. Is the problem that it's an arbitrary number and it's not reflective also of where we are in the world right now and the economic and financial challenges that most of us are facing. And it's very circumstantial. And this is why I have a big issue with this whole budgeting system of ten percent should go into this account, ten percent should be in this account. That percent, I don't believe. I'm really very much about that Pigeonholing prescription. It's very subjective as to how much you earn, but also what your budget is, what your living expenses and lifestyle is. You know, for someone who's earning say three hundred thousand dollars a year, saving ten percent, you know, is obviously going to be very different from someone who's earning seventy thousand dollars a year. And of course, whether they have children, whether they have a mortgage, you know, whether they have debts in their lives, what their their lifestyle taste is going to be. But that also holds people back because what if you're in a situation where perhaps you've paid your home off that guidance of ten percent, it was actually going to hold them back because they can actually get capable of saving more. And then people who feel that they can't actually reach that goal of saving them being ten percent are going to feel deflated, you know. And it's not about saving, it's about investing. Like but Anya will come to that.
Speaker 1: I mean to play devil's advocate on that one. For me, that's more just about the idea. It is almost just about being almost responsible. It's just old fashioned being making sure that you are not just spending everything prioritizing a little bit of financial security, even if that is for your emergency money or you're putting it then towards investing.
Speaker 2: Well, look, it's the rainy day idea but I think it's more about creating the habit. But it's really not going to take you very far, particularly over the long run when you think about inflation. That money is then essentially sitting in savings account for ten years and it's not actually being used with any sort of purpose.
Speaker 1: All right, Okay, so save ten percent of your income or pop that in the bin with the others. So so far we've got just work harder, buy a home as soon as possible, loyalty pays, get a job and stay there forever, and then save ten percent of your income. Quick break, and back with the rest of the list. Cana. We're putting together a cracking list today of the top ten pieces of financial advice that just don't work anymore. And I've enjoyed these. Verse five. Give us number six.
Speaker 2: Pay off your mortgage before investing. Now, this may have been sensible when you know you didn't have the opportunity to perhaps say, look at something like debt recycling, or you didn't really know about investing, wasn't something available to you, or they weren't sort of the options there. But most Australians are able to actually tackle both of these goals of paying down home loan and investing at the same time, And the fact is actually really efficient way of achieving two goals, diversifying outside of the family home, starting to build a long term growing passive income, obviously the compound and growth opportunities, and even obviously the benefits of debt recycling. But you know with the tax deductible interest, but you don't have to do that first. You're actually there is actually a danger of doing that because you're missing out losing time.
Speaker 1: Because just just through the timing of it. If you were to say, put all your money into paying off your mortgage and instead of thirty years, you're able to do it in twenty years, that is still potentially twenty years of investing and compound interest and growth in your investments that you will have missed out on during that time because you've decided to do them one then the other rather than at the same time. And it doesn't need to be big.
Speaker 2: Well about to say, it doesn't need to be aggressive. You don't need to go and borrow hundreds and thousands of dolls. You can start with a very small amount and slowly and steadily increase it over time as your mortgage comes down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and when you mentioned debt recycling just reminds me that that's a fantastic thing to talk to a financial planner. It's a slightly more complex, it's been.
Speaker 2: More sophisticated, but it's very it's a very powerful strategy if you're in a position where you can do it. It's worth knowing and understanding about it so that when the time comes by you'll know orry actually think we should be looking at this.
Speaker 1: We're ready number seven on the list.
Speaker 2: You need to own a property to be calm, wealthy, oh dear. Yeah, So it's deeply embedded obviously in the Australian culture, but there are lots of people that have built enormous wealth through ches, through ETFs, through investing in businesses and of course supernuation. In fact, some of the wealthiest people I know don't own a home. They know worth millions of dollars sometimes even hundreds of millions of dollars and don't own a home.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, oh wow, really cool.
Speaker 2: And of course you know superannuation as well. But you know, property is just one path and you know it's not the only path. You know you want to be building on, you know, focus on building assets that not just about necessarily collecting properties and you want assets where your money is working for you.
Speaker 1: And I suppose yeah, the property investing scenario.
Speaker 2: Has changed changed, yes, hugely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it is worth going back and having a listen to the episode that we did recently on the property and property investing for passive income as opposed to this idea of the short term benefits of negative gearing and the tax incentives. Okay, number eight, Well, this is one of my top five lists I reckon that you have put together.
Speaker 2: All right, cut out the coffee and the avocado toast.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's one that always gets people a little bit riled up.
Speaker 2: So yeah, drives people wild.
Speaker 1: So it feels like it's the just work harder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does have a very underlying vibe about that. So it's not just the you know, the small expenses. You know, we obviously do need to remember was it tiny leak sink ships still, But at the end of the day, you need to be focusing on the biggest expenses first to look at saving money. So if you can save obviously we've got to say two thousand dollars expense, and you can save ten percent of that, which is say two hundred dollars a month versus saving ten dollars a month expense saving you know, ten percent off, that's a dollar. Like, you've got to look at the efficiency. Hit up your biggest most expensive expenses first for the biggest amount of savings and the impact, like.
Speaker 1: You call up your bank and talk to them about a better deal on your homeland. Exactly.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean. Sometimes the biggest savings are right under our nose, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So we don't have to cut out the coffee, we don't have to cut out the avocado toast, and we can pop that whole piece of advice just straight in the bin with the rest of them.
Speaker 2: Number nine, keep your money in the bank where it's safe.
Speaker 1: I just love how you just loaded that with so much just sarcasm and judgment. So this is what I think of this advice.
Speaker 2: Well money, Okay, First of all, inflation mean if your money is not all the time obviously it depends on the economic climate, but inflation, and they also you've got to pay tax on the interest do you earn, and then you add inflation, sometimes your money is actually going backwards. And you know, we saw was it during COVID We had those bank guarantees that came through. No was, it wasn't even it was before COVID actually where the banks had to start guarantee They had guarantees on savings deposits to help protect your money, and then the limits started reducing and reducing the GFC. GFC, yes, I knew there was a major economic event. So like, obviously it depends it's where you deposit your money, but it's not guaranteed. It's not obviously it's highly unlikely, but it's not one safe.
Speaker 1: But also it's not necessarily the best use of your money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want something that obviously gives you the financial security, absolutely, but you also want something that grows with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the.
Speaker 1: We do have one of the best banking systems though we did compared to compared to elsewhere in the world. The stability and the strength of Australian banks is it extraordinary.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, And that's why I said it's a very very small risk. But we can't bury our hits in the sand say there's no risk, because that's not technically correct. And oh yes, emergency money must be in cash. Absolutely, short term goals, yes, it must be in cash, but you know particularly, and I've seen this backfire with people in retirement because they've had that mentality and then they're wondering why they're savings account is now dropping at a faster rate. And you know, this is the heartbreaking side of inflation in the environment we're living in the moment, is those people that are left with their wealth diminishing away at a rapid speed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah. Emergency money is an interesting example or almost an exception to the rule, isn't it, because you need to keep it in cash, and it's probably it's definitely better tucked away in a safe Aussie bank. You're ten in cash under your mattress.
Speaker 2: Well obviously because it's not on any interest and it's not even short.
Speaker 1: If you get robbed, it could be accumulating dust though, so it is accumulating something.
Speaker 2: Number ten retire at sixty five. Say that I'm wannertire sixty retiring at sixty five?
Speaker 1: Okay, are you saying that that is out of date or it's just it doesn't it's not a one size fits all anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, now, it's more I think of a semi retirement, that transition to retirement for a lot of people and you know, that whole idea of stopping waking up one day and stopping work completely and going fishing is not there.
Speaker 1: People.
Speaker 2: Actually, I know a handful of people who've retired but actually are still in the game. You know. They love building things, they love being part of a community, they love the connection they you know, they've shifted on something more meaningful that they've been wanting to do for a really long time, something that connects to their heart, you know. And sometimes obviously just is that sort of part time work. Or I've seen people going to start new businesses and great businesses and and take on a whole nother.
Speaker 1: Career, partner, another career.
Speaker 2: I think there's something really important about this about you know, the keeping your cognitive skills, you know, keeping fit and strong, key, staying in the community, having those relationships, that connection. You know, that relevance is really important.
Speaker 1: It is, Yeah, and just for that mental fitness, that's just it is so so.
Speaker 2: Important, you know, designing your life for meaning and substance and still continued growth, you know, not because of your own arbitrary age.
Speaker 1: All right, those ten pieces of financial advice that they just don't work anymore. Number one, just work harder. Number two. Buy a home as soon as possible. Number three. Loyalty pays. Number four, Secure a job and stay there. Number five Save ten percent of your income. Number six. Pay off the mortgage before investing. Number seven you need to own a property to become wealthy. Number eight. Cut out the coffee and the avocado toast. Number nine whack all your money in the bank. And number ten you must retire at sixty five. And that is it. You know what all of them in the bin done. I think I have longed for the opportunity to do that close to the microphone for some time, and we have not done. This is nearly two hundred episodes, and this is the first time I've actually had the chance to do that and just throw it away. You need to get out more. They've just quite cathartic. Actually all right. If we want more information from.
Speaker 2: You, the best place to get in contact with me is on Instagram at sugar Ma my TV or Canna Cambell Official.
Speaker 1: And you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business News. You can use thank you for listening to how do they afford that? Remember to hit follow on the podcast and spread the word about how do they afford that? And keep an eye out as well for our book, Twelve Months to Financial Freedom, coming out on the first of September. Pre Orders available now. Thank you for your company, Join us again next week