Speaker 1: This episode contains discussion of suicide. If this raises any issues for you, support is available through the links and phone numbers in the show notes. This podcast was recorded and produced on gadigal Land. We would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians and payer respect to Elder's past and present.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, can I please have your attention? This is my final MATHS related interview? Are they talking about me?
Speaker 3: She's like, yeah, it was Australia's reactions because a lot of drama and they never got it. It just went nuts.
Speaker 4: Hello and welcome back to back to reality.
Speaker 5: I'm Selena and I'm Tany and today we have very money.
Speaker 6: Yes, we have Josh Fox who runs the Mass Funny podcast. We are so excited to chat with him today.
Speaker 2: Hello, ladies, I'm welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome. This feels weird. How do slay if you're the one being into interrogated?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel it that uncomfortable because I'm you. When you were filming by.
Speaker 5: The Street, well, I was trying to think of when I met you, and I think I can't remember.
Speaker 3: What it was, but you were showing me a photo of Harry Styles or something.
Speaker 5: I was walking with my husband from the show, and you would I can't remember something something, and you were like son at Harry Styles and I was like, I like this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah one direction.
Speaker 5: Well one of the reasons why I recognized Josh in the first place. So I was a big one d girly still am and I lived in the UK at prime one direction time, and I stumbled across Josh's.
Speaker 3: YouTube channel.
Speaker 2: England.
Speaker 5: I've been through the YouTube phase as well. But yeah, that's how I remembered you. And you used to do like a series where you'd like get a picture with all like the you literally got a photo with every single person I want to meet in my whole life, and yeah, and then I saw you from there and it was interesting then seeing you move to Australia and your life how it transitioned from that to now also running like the most successful maths like fan account like little fans content. Quite the journey, Quite the journey. But yeah, I'm very excited to have you on and discuss.
Speaker 6: All that now. I find it fascinating how you were always at every mass wedding location.
Speaker 4: How do you find out where we are?
Speaker 2: See? Everybody asked that and thinks I've got all these sauces. Yes, but the real answer is quite boring. Oh, tell us, every year the cruises use the same locations, so every year we they's going to be end of July August. Okay, wedding season. I go to the gym in the city, and the amount of times I walk through the city and see a limousine yes, and go, oh, it's a Monday afternoon. Who's getting married? And then you see a goal pro attach.
Speaker 5: It's tough you did this because I think my husband was the first one to be leaked. And it's good I didn't have my phone at the time because they took my phone off me. But you literally like, I'm just walking down the street, there's a limousine.
Speaker 3: Maybe this is maths.
Speaker 5: And then you get the content of him walking out of the hotel, and I remember the famous line was like good luck, you're gonna eat it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then used to shower you've ruined.
Speaker 3: Which I didn't even use anyway, Well, he wasn't was.
Speaker 2: Walking down the street. And then that did millions of views because everyone was laughing at the producer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, that was like one of that was I really like, I feel like things really like skyrocketed from there because that was like super super viral, and we're like, oh, this is this is where it begins because we obviously you have an idea of going into maths what it's going to be like, and I think you know, Josh and like Ali, you guys add to that because it's like you're coming you're coming up to us, you're taking content and it's like, oh, Okay, this is what it's going to be like. Which it's not like that forever, but it's yeah, it's an interesting taste because you're like, oh, this is like.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not used to this. It's quite intense. When when did you guys first meet?
Speaker 4: We went way after like our season aired.
Speaker 2: Because I don't think I seen you much during filming.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because ours was shot in COVID, So that's why I don't our weddings and our wedding was out in Woop woop.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I'm not.
Speaker 4: Troubling far yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the City.
Speaker 4: Fair that's fair.
Speaker 6: So what you literally just follow us like you just see the limo at the front of sky Squeeze.
Speaker 2: You're like, oh, yeah, could you like this this past season? Elliott and Lauren's wedding. Yes, that was at the State Fater. Yes. I'd been on a date in the city, a first date. We were walking through going to another bar. I said to the guy, do you mind if we just followed this limit for five minutes? I was like, I'll tell you in a minute.
Speaker 4: Stop now.
Speaker 2: Then it says like Elliott and Lauren in the lights. I'm like, obviously, so whether I see some of the crew recognize, then I have to quickly explain to this guy who's never watched married at first what we're doing. Then he agrees to sim am and I said it will be five, ten minutes, an hour and a half. And then as Elliott and Lauren started to come out, I said, do you mind this filming me? I am second date?
Speaker 3: Oh he's lost. Video went d you gotta look at this silper lining of it.
Speaker 6: I do wonder because you said to Elliott, like, you know, because Lauren was Matt Well she was with John O originally, Yes, and you said what did you say to him?
Speaker 2: I said, you're much better looking than her ext John from last season, and he looked very confused. Producers gave me the dirtiest scene and then I planted that seat of doubt from the very first night and then two days later.
Speaker 5: Anyway, Yeah, yeah, because you've had like that's like I feel like you've had roles in some of the storylines, and like I feel like there's been some shots.
Speaker 3: Of you like him like that.
Speaker 2: I've been on every season. Literally he's following a car.
Speaker 5: It's like the funniest thing out of I guess all your time working like across the show, what's been like the funniest thing that you've had involvement in?
Speaker 2: My favorite bit was do you remember the Grand reunion a few years ago?
Speaker 3: Yes? Can they do that again?
Speaker 2: Like that?
Speaker 3: Like the last three seasons had been pretty hectic. Where's the grand reunion?
Speaker 2: Probably the Nasa who obviously everyone dislikes, but everyone was speaking to me before, like I had like Jess Power, should have do it. Everyone's saying should have do it as if the more reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then I was like, yeah, go da it. But then Nassa really didn't want to. He was gonna pull out. Then I was like, oh, you kind of have to because you're like the instigator. Yeah, and then he's like everyone's just gonna have a go at me. So I said the second that happens, because we all know it's going to happen at some point in that dinner when the old stand up against you, throw someone on the floor, stand up and storm out. And in his pocket he had a script that I printed for him. And then you'll recall a shot I've been running down the hallway and he says something like I'm too famous for this. I don't need this. I'm the Princess Diana of Maths and the people's celebrity. That was word for word. And then when he left, then Ali picked him up and then phone me from the car like I did it. I did the script.
Speaker 3: He is such an interesting character, that guy.
Speaker 5: He is.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, I don't know. Maybe this was you that leaks information.
Speaker 5: But I remember we were filming, like I think it was like final dates. No, it was homestays and we're in BONDI and we'll feel being at wayfair wayf.
Speaker 2: YESO message me that day there's a new maths couple. Because he just goes around moder day he spotted you. Then I popped over and just missed you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was literally like and being so weird and like getting photos of us in the background then posted it to like Maths Uncensored. I'm like, dude, ruining storylines as per but it was so funny. I was like, how do like people know information? I always like wonder, like what is going on? But that and then we like, I think we just missed you at that time when we're trying to be like not talk to media and like anyone, there's like I feel like there's a phase you go through in Maths and you obviously experience this like knowing the cast where you just like get ignored by people because you're being told not to like speak, and then like kind of breaking the walls down.
Speaker 2: So detrimental to the cast because those first videos are the first time the public meet any of you. And my video is millions of views and then everyone just looks rude because I'm just like, hey, experiment and like and then the fans, who do these people think there are?
Speaker 3: And then and it's valid, yeah, because it's it is valid.
Speaker 5: Like I look back and it's like, oh, like that does look bad, But then knowing what you've been told, it's like, oh, I get what they're trying to do.
Speaker 2: Fans don't realize is at the start of the season, you're kind of told stay away from Josh, stay away from.
Speaker 3: Ali specifically by name, yes.
Speaker 2: The Josh meeting. But I get that. But I think it's because over time you realize we're not the enemy. We kind of do have your best interest. We have a job to do. But I've never wanted to screw you guys over like, ultimately, I just want content and.
Speaker 6: Then yeah, yeah, yeah, they want content and just.
Speaker 2: But then it takes you, guys until the end of the season maybe to realize that. And by that point I ten videos of you are ignoring me looking rude.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Speaking of content, you run the Mass Funny page, and then you also have the podcast for that as well. Yes, how has the response been with that?
Speaker 2: The podcast has been great? Yea, I wish did it sooner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think because I've worked on Kyl and Jackie Oh the last couple of years, so I kind of got into radio and broadcast and then I left over Christmas and then I was like, oh, I should do a podcast now, and then I just I think I decided to do it like a week before I think nothing would come of it, and then like within a week, like three hundred thousand views listens. Wow, this is like a job now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, it takes on a different approach because I think there's a lot of stuff out there around Maps, specifically this year, Like it's really triggered a lot of conversations and good and bad ones, I would say, And I think the format works quite nicely because it's still bringing that humor. But then you've also taken on the more maps.
Speaker 3: Serious math serious where you're.
Speaker 5: Kind of looking more into the production, the kind of effects, after effects and during effects it's had on cast talk us through I guess thoughts on that transition and kind of what I guess triggered you to take that angle, whereas it's always been like really lighthearted and funny, which we all love. But I think people are still enjoying this side as well.
Speaker 2: You know what I think it is. I think every year Channel nine love to create villains. They love us as the media to go after them, chase them down videos, shouting questions because they it's a pantomime. And as bad as this is to say, those villains are so disposable, I imagine you two, to an extent extent, felt disposable to Channel nine because once it ends like Okay, goodbye cast, new season. So then I thought this year, well, I could do that again. And I've done it to an extent. You know, I'm still covering the storylines. But let's look at the bigger picture. And when we talk about stars of this show, who's the biggest one? John Aken ten seasons. He's been there since day one, literally every single episode one. Yeah, he was the judge to remain, I said, judge, but he's been there since season one. Yeah. Wow. So then that I did that video where I thought, well, I should ask him questions does he feel ethically and morally compromised? Which I thought was reasonable. And do you remember was doctor Trisha? Was she your seasons?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: She was, I think a couple quite a few people actually yeah.
Speaker 2: Because oh yeah, her last one was season seven. But when she left channel and I put out a pressure really saying, you know, she's going to focus on the writing and studies. And then a week later she did a radio interview going no, it's because I felt ethically compromised. I couldn't do this anymore. I didn't agree with what was happening, I didn't agree with how it changed. So then I started to wonder the last few months, well, John and Mele have stayed all these years since then she was their colleague, they had the same job, so do they feel the same. And then God for Video asked that to John Aikin and he'll send you a legal I thought it was channel of John said he felt threatened intimidated for his safety, which is crazy when you want to viso. He's laughing at me and.
Speaker 3: It's funny. I actually thought it was like funny.
Speaker 5: And it's also like I feel really conflicted, and I feel like I've always had like an unpopular opinion of I just don't have this like strong feeling towards the experts because I think they're like they're the one the four guys, right, Whereas I think, and it's it's clear in the contract as well, the expert whatever specialist services giving is not like it's it's entertainment purposes, right, It's not what you would go see a normal psychologist or a normal whatever sexologist. I imagine you wouldn't have those conversations, and you wouldn't have you'd probably given actual advice and probably having a different experience. So I think obviously that's not the viewers don't know that they're assuming that this is what it's like when therapy is actually not like that, and when you're going to these psychology services, it's a very different experience. So I think for me, I'm sure their professional services with their private clients would be very different to the experience.
Speaker 2: Where do they have private clients? Because who would maybe who would pay for John to help your relationship. That's why I said to him, do you and your wife follow these things that he goes to spend a few days in mate with someone else? Yeah?
Speaker 5: No, I just don't understand that the justification, because what's the justification. It's feedback week, right, the spending time with someone else, that's how they picture it.
Speaker 3: Is that really, let's just call it, what is it? Strama? It's TV like the speaking of that temptation week this week?
Speaker 5: Yeah, crazy, the whole going on other dates. See I like that because it's like, yeah, okay, temptation that is. I can see why where that would take place in the real world. I think that's probably better than the whole feedback staying with another person. I think I've messed up to have it just before final vowels. But that's drama like I'm about it, I'm about.
Speaker 2: It, But then how do you go against the premise of the show. How can they still They've got these couples have finally made it to the end inside and then they go, no, here you go, yeah, here's a backup.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I personally like the old mass format. I just think that they've pushed it too far the last couple of years.
Speaker 5: Well, that's so I think, And that kind of correlates with Trish leaving because I think from that time the show change, the format changed, it became really more dramatic and I had those like really like punchy storylines.
Speaker 3: It's really like hectic stuff. And it was really when she left.
Speaker 2: I think if long term viewers of the show will notice, and my researchers are showing this, it was season seven where everything changed. Season that again, that was Hayley Vernon's.
Speaker 3: Yes and brush there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Remember the year before they I think it was so big with ess power in us my first and then it got to season seven and they're like, how can we up beat that? And then they didn't and it just went to a new extreme where most of the cast who have suffered like mentally all come from season seven.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's really interesting because I feel like every year I'm like, well, even my experience because I'm like, oh, this is crazy, Like it's not getting any more intense than it's like, nothing's beating this.
Speaker 3: The next year it does like it.
Speaker 5: Progressively getting worse and worse, and where's and where's the line going to be drawn? Like what's going to happen next?
Speaker 2: We're so far past.
Speaker 4: Where is it?
Speaker 5: Like where like where where does it go from here? Like we're going to tackle things like DV not really address it properly, which I think it's hard because I feel like these topics are very important to be showcasing and discussing properly. For example, any of you guys have seen like Adolescents the new Netflix series Beautiful Beautiful, like horrible to watch, but really unpacks like that topic very well and shows it in like a distressing light. But it's like talking about a wide issue and unpacking it, Whereas I feel like topics this year have been missed opportunities like the Jake like racist comments, they're punching the wall. These are stuff that I feel like in Australian society would be really impactful. To like just just dive into it a bit more like these things happen, Okay, we're going to get him some help.
Speaker 3: What does that look like? Like, what are we doing here.
Speaker 2: With the punch? They had such an opportunity to educate, not just Australia because this show's international totally and they didn't and like they say, we stopped drinking. He went to therapy. The next episode he was on holiday and Byron Bay with everyone like there was no punishment. Yeah, like to me. I spoke to Eliot about this, and Elliott says he thinks they did the right thing by keeping him on the show, because if they kicked him off, him and Karina were still together. They would have gone back to bath together as a couple and there's no one there watching out for her, which I kind of get to an extent, But they should have made a real example, shown the therapy, shown them couples, shown that journey.
Speaker 3: I would have loved to see that like that.
Speaker 5: If this does happen to you, let's not just like rite off people like I'm not making any excuses of behavior. It's unacceptable, but okay, if that happens, Okay, it's the first time he's ever done it, what do you do? Like, if I'm watching it and like my boyfriend's done that, what can I be like, Hey, can we get you into this treatment or this service like that? That's the missed opportunity because yeah, like there's probably women out there sitting there watching it that's happened to them.
Speaker 3: They're like, fuck, okay, So it's just that's men.
Speaker 2: Who have done that, and they'll see that exactly exactly right, and that's the issue.
Speaker 3: Bad.
Speaker 6: Do you think with everything that's happened, there will ever be an to maths or do you think it just breaks in so many clicks and views and money that it's like it's just gonna keep going.
Speaker 2: I don't think it will ever rando until the viewers stop watching it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I feel like we've seen, like in the UK specifically, a lot of people and their lives through experiences on reality TV, like so many just from the Love Island franchise alone, and that.
Speaker 3: You'd hate for this to happen.
Speaker 5: But I feel like it takes something really serious like that to happen to evoke any sort of change because at the moment, people are obviously on online saying how poorly the treatment is saying that their lives are being there over whatever, but no one really cares, right Like, it's like, what what does it take? And this is where I'm like, where does it end? Where where's the line which we've crossed so.
Speaker 2: Far with my podcast the Investigation, And people keep saying, stop being a spoiler, sport, stop trying to stop mauffs, And I'm not. I'm almost saying, if you don't make these changes behind the scenes production, there will be no season because someone trigger on and fortunately they will take their own lives. And I'd say ninety percent of former cast members I speak to all say that is going to happen. And when I worked as a tableau journalist in the UK, I was there. I flew to Love Island to interview Caroline Flack, and I could see when I did that season, like she was not in the right head space to be the star of the biggest show, and so many people around her would just ignore these cries for help because you know, she's making so much money. And two years after that she took her own life, same with several former Love Islanders And it's like, that will happen here, And even I think it was two years ago, Charlie and Knuling from the Bachelor of Australia. He took his own life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think he made some comments about it actually being associated with the experience from I spoke to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I spoke to a lot of his former cast members and they all said he never should have been cast in the first place. He'd been through a lot in his life and even in the mansion when they were filming, he was still struggling with things. Yeah, And that's in my investigation. I look at that a lot, and in the next episode, I look at how so many people have struggled afterwards. And I've found four different examples of four former cast members who prior to appear in a mask have admitted to trying to and their own lives through like you know, the various childhood abuse or whatever. Yeah, and this is a public record, so I know they bring it up and naming them, but it's all on Google. But to me, if you've been in that dark of a place, I don't think you ever should then be on a show line.
Speaker 5: I agree, I think, and this is where I question the casting process and the I guess checklist and stuff of the people they allow on the show, because I feel like a lot of this stuff is made aware of whether it's you know, DV allegations, whether it's mental health, whether it's whatever it is, and it's like you do the psycho.
Speaker 3: Ow, what are they looking at that evaluation?
Speaker 5: Are they looking if you're maybe a bit slant to one side, then yes, they're perfect for it. I do question if they're intentionally getting people that I don't know, because I've spoken to some casts that I know, and they would recount their traumas right would be brought up in front of the experts, in front of voxes. They would be emotional off the back of that, and then that would be edited to something that didn't have anything to do with what was brought up. And stuff like that. I'm like, I felt like they would use these things against you. Sometimes I would be very I never really shared stuff because I just was like, no, they're not knowing that. I was like, ye, no, because even like when I shared like my parents getting a divorce and the circumstances around that, they like kept bringing up and kept asking about it. I was like, guys, I've made it clear. I'm not speaking about my parents. This is about me. I'm not adding them into my no, like they didn't sign up to be brought in the storyline like that.
Speaker 3: I'm not okay with that.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I question how they choose people and then them using stuff like you said against them.
Speaker 2: Well on the psycho valuation, I spoke to a former contestant a big brother recently from way back in the day, and she admit she was a bit unstable and probably shouldn't have been cast. And then she spoke to producer afterwards and way, you know, what do you have to do to pass that site test? And then the producer parent they laught and says, what makes you think you have to pass it? Yeah, And I was like, oh, sh yeah, okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: This is what it's like.
Speaker 2: And that's what doctor Tricia said in previous interviews. She said her last season, season seven, there was someone on there she believed should never have been cast. She raised this concern in her pre season assessment that was ignored. They were then cast mid season. Doctor Tricia said that person needs to be removed there and not coping. The person was eventually removed sent home, and that person in a podcast with the ABC A year later said she got home, had a mental breakdown and tried to end her own life.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Wow, it's really like people try and outweigh what the potential slight possibility of what MATHS can do for them based on like a handful of people that have become really successful off the show, and then maybe not think about all of the other potential outcomes that are quite more probable. And it's really Yeah, it's like they kind of reel you in in that in that way so it won't happen to me, and it's like you don't. Absolutely I felt that way, and I was like, yeah, I feel like I'm a good person, Like I'm not. Yeah, you know, and it's only because other people are more unhinged.
Speaker 6: I want to know, because you've launched this investigation into Maths, Like, what's your goal that you want out of this investigation?
Speaker 2: My end goal is just animal shine the production company to actually listen to what all the viewers are saying and actually go, Okay, maybe behind the scenes, we should hire someone who's hair full time to look out for these people. Maybe we should have crossed this lineer pushed this hard, and yeah, just safeguard you guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that that too though, No, babe, I think I think the people that work, like the psychologists and stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't trust that because from my experience.
Speaker 5: I had told stuff to the psychologists they assigned me with, and I know that was repeated to production and that's like completely goes against that didn't happen on my yeah, licenses and stuff, And I feel like it should be a third party that's like not employed by ENDE or not employed by Channel nine, like almost like contract.
Speaker 3: I don't know how it would work, but it's yet.
Speaker 5: Obviously they're gonna have the interest of who's giving them the money at the end of the day, right, so they're gonna be like, hey, this person feels x y Z about this situation, which is what I did.
Speaker 3: And then the next day I got a call about that situation. It was resolved.
Speaker 5: So I'm just drawing conclusions that that information was shared and I just think that's not right.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did you have the wash? Was that your page as well? What was your involvement with Ah?
Speaker 2: It was one of my friends launched it and then I just did content or cross posted it. Oh yeah, raight, okay, Yeah, so that was a website to start with, but then it was hard to maintain because I don't think it was there's not like enough content okay year round.
Speaker 6: Looking back now, because you've been following Maths for ages now, like, do you feel any remorse in like the trolling and the like posts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because when I started that meme page that was the Jessica Power season, Yeah, yeah, Like jess became a great friend and she was like the person who made that page big because she was the hated one that yeah she's but she'd to me like, oh, she did this picture of my lips, you know, after lip next to her like a fish. So I do that with her consent. But then it's set and this precedent like lets more appearances and like the first show, I would get carried away because the likes are rolling in. You've got yeah, one hundred, one hundred followers to ten thousand, and it was growing and growing. But then over time I was like, actually I have quite a love of influence her, and then I it kind of peaked with Olivia Fraser. I think yes, and then I personally apologized to her and I've apologized to over people and said if I ever contributed to like your discomfort. Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: Wow, Okay, that's really good to know because personally I felt, because I'm huge on manners, I never really felt like U gave me the time and day only because I never came out as a villain yep or someone with massive following. I didn't come off the show with a partner either, so I kind of felt like the small handful of times I saw you, you just kind of never gave me the time and day. So then when I saw you launch this podcast and then you know, do this investigation, I was like, what's this guy's motive because I'm like, you seem to care about the mass cast, and I'm like, also, you've never given me the time of day.
Speaker 2: You know. The full honesty of that is, prior to this year, I've always had day jobs on radio, in media. There was one season where I was the manager of an Amazon warehouse because I quit the media, so like that's always been my Like yeah, I was like yeah, laughing about that earlier. So then it's like, okay, well I'm trying to keep posts or whatever, and then it's kind of like ticking a box. Okay, Well, everyone's like, you know, I hating this one, and then you get people like Ali who Lavali befriends everyone and but that's kind of because he's day job is relying on that when this is more a hobby for me, Yes, it was more And this sounds bad, but I never really want to become that close friends with the mass people because, yeah, I feel like it takes over your life. And I've made that mistake in the UK of befriend in talent and then you almost become impartial or biased with your how your covering thinks. So I always tried to create a barrier. And then if you've not got all this my drama and stuff, then I'm kind of just staying back and focusing on whoever is getting that engagement.
Speaker 5: I think it's interesting because you see, it would be hard, say, being like you're friends with someone, there's a story that's come through that you're going to have to publish and it doesn't make them look very good.
Speaker 3: What Like I would be like, like what am I going to do? So I kind of get that from that.
Speaker 2: And that's already happened in this season since I started the podcast. Yeah, because obviously I've had to be more impartial. Yeah, well, like just meeting the cast one by one and then when there's a bad story, I'm like, oh shit, but like I've kind of got a good person and like we're like friendly and then you just feel like ship. Yeah, And I know Ali struggles without because yeah, he's his job as a journalist, but then he's hanging out with everyone, and so I've tried to that's true, stay back.
Speaker 4: I'm just like.
Speaker 2: But I'm sorry if you felt like personally when you're.
Speaker 6: Real here, you seemed to be nice to everyone else because obviously I came from Olivia season and that's so good that you apologize to her. Like every single time I see you guys together, you're like really close. I'm close with Carolina now and I'm like hello on your book and your podcast and you're like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, because.
Speaker 2: I've recently seen you Carolina's birthday.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: And that was the most horrifically awkward no, because what it was, I was drinking with a close friend okay, yeah, my friend Liam, and then my housemate texts me saying are you where I think you are? Then I'm like, what do you want about? And then he didn't text back, but I have my housemate and find my iPhone. So I was like, he's in nearby, and he wasn't. He was at home. I was like, what is Ryan talking about? And then the only other person I haven't find my iPhone is Olivia random where she added me. I think we're going in and out trying to find each other. And then she was two bars over, so I was like, oh, is he talking about Olivia? Then I said to my friend Lima, Olivia is two places over. Let's go so Ilo. So then I go upstairs and I only see Olvia at a table full of people. You know when you just registered the person you know. I'm like, oh, hey, liv I got to him a hug, and then like I look around and you're there, Carolina. There's a few other people and everyone's looking at me like I've just killed somebody. It was so bizarre. And then there's a guy who I thought was Caroline his new boyfriend, who I don't know. He was next to Olivia, but had he's back to me. Yeah, And then I just kind of mate without looking because I'm just thinking, why is everyone looking at me like this?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then and then just focused on Olivia. He's like, oh, hey, Josh, hi. Then I'm like, what is going on here? Then my friend Liam, who's tagged along, went oh, hey, I'm not going to say the name, but that guy was my ex boyfriend who was sat there with his back. Yeah, and I hadn't seen him in like nine months. Yeah, It's not like I didn't not recognize him, but I hadn't. I was just looking why is everyone looking at me like this? And focused on the one person I suppose I went there to see Olivia because she was on Find my iPhone and then it was just awkward. Sar left that was quite quickly.
Speaker 5: So bringing it back to this season and obviously we've got Temptation Week this week, what's.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts on that?
Speaker 5: As in you obviously that's a brand new world, world first thing that they've done.
Speaker 3: What's your thoughts on that?
Speaker 5: And what's your thoughts on the people that have took the bait with their task?
Speaker 2: Firstly, I think it's a great challenge. I think it's great reality TV. I think maybe when mel was trying to justify it, they should just go, look, we want to final twist. Don't try to spin it as if it's a positive. We know what you're doing. Yeah, Like it's just embarrassing when you try to say this is for the greater good. I just think anyone who agreed to do it is stupid, Like why would you It's been broadcasting like Paul doing it? What did you think? He just met Karina's strict religious family. He'd been saying how much he's into her, and then he's like, oh, I was just curious.
Speaker 3: What did you think it was an what do you mean curious?
Speaker 4: The fumbling?
Speaker 6: Oh, just curious and I saw it and she was blonde and no, he was talking so.
Speaker 3: Bro, you're just making it worse.
Speaker 5: Just literally if you say I'm stupid, like, don't stop justifying.
Speaker 2: And it was literally because he wasn't attracted to the new girl. She was like as soon as I was thinking of you, come.
Speaker 4: On so crazy?
Speaker 3: Who's who are on? Because we'll watch that tonight. Who.
Speaker 5: So you've got Adrian and Athena left. Surely Adrian's doing it. I'm putting money on too that he's doing it.
Speaker 2: Did you read Ali's article inn the Mail? Don't Adrian is now apparently still chatting with that girl that I was liking each of his posts and stuff. Interesting rumors there.
Speaker 6: I did hear that one of the grooms was staying in touch with one of the intruders. It's Adrian, okay, interesting ill ill okay.
Speaker 2: And then Jamie I suppose this episode, I'm sure they both do it. I'm not sure about Dave. From what I've read is Jamie agrees to but the guy stands her up. Wow.
Speaker 3: Have you ever been stood off on the date before?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Day I went to meet a guy with grinder ones and I get to his house and I knocked on the door and then I hid him. Walked to the door, I looked through the people and not into the door, shut up, and grinding just blocked me. You know, technically I stood.
Speaker 5: Up and that was that's wait speaking, we haven't speaking of Grinder here. Let's talk about your book, Yes, yeah, talk us about that and how that came about, because I think that is fucking awesome.
Speaker 3: Congrats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, talk me through the whole thing, how you decided, like when you started writing, how you kind of came up with that and yeah, just the whole process.
Speaker 2: Well, like the both of you. I have a failed marriage. Man was a real one and then he left me. The start of twenty twenty one, and that was kind of like COVID. So we're all very isolated, and you know, you just don't know how to process something, and as men, maybe we don't turn to our friends or all. My family were overseas, so we kind of just hold it on in. So writing was just my way of dealing with it. So it started like a diary. Yeah, and then I was just writing more and more than I like tried to convince myself. It was finding my agenda by sleeping with random people off Grinder, which is a gay app for anyone who does now, and then sex is quite instant on there.
Speaker 3: It's so intense.
Speaker 5: I went on it for the first time and I was like wow, really yeah, yes as well.
Speaker 3: No, I was my friends.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen Grinder? No, you'd open it and it would say like someone is five meters away, twenty meters away, and that's how it works. The grid is who's closer to you. So if you're in apartment building, there might be someone two flows below.
Speaker 4: And it's just like a hook up a quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you might be like hey, and then the line is what you're into the.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Actually one of the I would say, one of the best covers I've seen in a book in a while. I have such an appreciation for book covers and like that was just like brilliant, brilliant.
Speaker 2: So yeah, then I was just so the marriage ended, I start hooking up with people to convince myself I'm over him. Obviously I wasn't. So then I hook up with more people and more people, and then before I know it, we're in the hundreds. And then I just got sadder and sadder with each one. Yeah, and then I kept writing, well.
Speaker 3: You gotta look out of it.
Speaker 4: Walk A podcasts.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, no, you seem really happy now still single, but you're happy single?
Speaker 4: Right, No, everyone.
Speaker 3: Let's end on a bit of a quick fire.
Speaker 5: We've got some questions and then yeah, we'll just go through and you want to start.
Speaker 6: Yeah, who do you think from this season is the biggest cloud chaser?
Speaker 2: Oh? Oh, quick fire? I'm trying to think. I would say, anyone who's currently on cameo.
Speaker 3: Period, period period. You could not pay me any amount of money to do that ship.
Speaker 5: There's stuff I won't do when it's cameo boxing matches, club appearances, like people.
Speaker 2: Of this show making money, but I just think that you're in every day person.
Speaker 3: I do for three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the next day's like a hundred dollars for me to say.
Speaker 5: Happy birthday, like people DM like, if you want a cameo from me, DM me and I'll do it for free. That's like a joke, regret. Okay, Next one is who do you think is being the most genuine.
Speaker 2: Probably yeah, agrees with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard.
Speaker 5: It's a very universal experience that she that's seeing on TV, and I'm like, it's such an embarrassing feeling feeling like that, but it's I feel like every single girl and woman has gone through.
Speaker 2: That maybe as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because she.
Speaker 2: Just wants to be loved.
Speaker 6: I know, I know she actually actually does.
Speaker 3: She really does.
Speaker 6: Old me because that that was like, Yeah, I was so desperate for love back then.
Speaker 4: That was all over.
Speaker 2: That stayed longer than you probably would have.
Speaker 6: I would have done anything to make that marriage work, just to prove to myself that I was lovable.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Moving along sounds like grind relatable.
Speaker 4: Who do you think is the most fucked over by their edit this year?
Speaker 2: I feel like the ones who have been sucked over It's kind of justified. I'd probably say Elliott because he's kind of gone full circle, but I do find him entertaining now, like his TikTok. You see that side of him which was not apparent.
Speaker 4: Yes, true, true.
Speaker 3: Okay, who do you think will end up with the most followers Jamie?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she wants the UK get behind it. Yeah, because that's kind of the difference between like average influencer following and like next level.
Speaker 5: I like her because I feel like she speaks to a lot of your everyday average girl.
Speaker 3: Not that like that.
Speaker 5: Doesn't sound bad, but I think it's really like relatable in a sense, and it doesn't have this like glossy kind of feel to it.
Speaker 3: She seems very just like one of like the girls that I hang out.
Speaker 2: With Jamie, well not Jamie. What pissed me off I comment I read was she's oftenly got no makeup. That's my love break of acne. Yes, bro, I saw a comment like weish you'd cover that up, and it's like why exactly, She's just a normal girl and.
Speaker 5: Like the stress you go through, I was like, progressively get worse, and I was like I feel that like my skin was fucked as well, and it's just so I was like, that's so relatable.
Speaker 2: In fact, she's not like foundation just to cover it.
Speaker 5: Like you know what she's going to get those skincare brand deals and waiting for what brand is shot a.
Speaker 4: Pimple patch on last night. I'm like, yes, like now we know.
Speaker 6: Now, Well, if you've seen any leaked articules which that Clint and Jackie are now together, do you think if they were originally matched on the show that they.
Speaker 4: Would still be together?
Speaker 2: Probably not really.
Speaker 4: Why do you say that?
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like Jackie is quite fond of crying. Oh yeah, so like maybe if it was just a happy thing from the start, then do you know what I mean? Like, she wouldn't really have been able to showcase her range as a performer's It's very puzzling that. Like, but what I find fascinating about those two is how I think this is spoiler alert whatever, But it was within I think two and a half weeks of leaving the show breaking up with Ryan, and then she's suddenly in tazzy with Clinton. And then I read a comment Clint said in an interview I don't know where and he says, well, this is no different to people being matched on the show, So that's why she just moved in straight away like they're doing experiment.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, it's very interesting.
Speaker 5: But I think sometimes like you do, which I guess is potentially why they've introduced this like task this week. Is the whole some seasons people have got together that weren't originally matched together, and people would argue that they're more suited. So I think maybe that was like their thought.
Speaker 2: That also makes me laugh how Channel Nina now pushing Evelyn and Duncan out like the biggest success story you did not make that like they did that, and Channel Nana trying to own it, and the fact that they have to use those to those two for this nine now spinoff whatever, Like it's it's kind of embarrassing for Maths because they don't actually have any of their own couples.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yep, so true. The whole Snaffle West Park and everything.
Speaker 2: I'm still not sure what is I'm saying, what stop we should bet the out, Let's.
Speaker 5: Not give them, let's suspect that everyone what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you so.
Speaker 2: Much for coming on all right, thanks for having me, and for.
Speaker 6: Everyone who wants to look at Josh's content is maths funny. And then yeah, the Spotify and everything, Yeah, listen everywhere.
Speaker 5: Ever, the Noble Player, and then obviously you can follow Josh on the socials as well and your book.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's in like big W, the Mix and Shops, the Apple.
Speaker 4: Thanks John, thanks for having me, really