Speaker 1: Oh, Hello, Welcome to healthy Ish. Thanks for joining us on the Body and Soul podcast. I'm your host of Felicity Halle, best selling author and CEO of independent news platform Cheek Media. Co Hanna Ferguson joins us in the studio today to unpack wellness culture, the good bits, the bad bits, and everything in between, a topic she writes about in her new book Taboo. Now make sure you're listening to our sister pod, Extra healthy Ish, where Hannah shares her own struggles with vaginismus. She's open and honest and that one is worth a listen. You can grab it wherever you get your podcasts. Had A Ferguson, Welcome to healthy Ish.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: It's nice to well have you across the table rather than next to me on the plane life.
Speaker 3: I'm almost agreeed. You was an old friend when I came in. Once you've been on a flight with someone. I think everything's changed.
Speaker 2: I agree, I agree, have great conversation. Yeah, fly, I think we fixed everything.
Speaker 1: Actually absolutely actually no, your book fixes everything seamless, seamless. I wanted to pick up on one of your themes in this around self care self improvement. You wrote a line, we become slaves to our own self improvement. The reason you don't feel well is because you're not investing enough money.
Speaker 2: I just unpack this, Yeah, and that's a lot to unpack, right.
Speaker 3: I think that what I've seen time and time again with young women but also women my mum's age, my grandma's age, is that a lot of the time we're being sold by different companies, by different like beauty, the beauty industry, the wellness industry, all of those together like collectively things that we're told are going to make us feel better fundamentally, like really fix us at our call. There's some sort of healing of some sort of community in spending to invest in polates classes, cold plunges in a bubble.
Speaker 2: Bath, in a candle.
Speaker 3: And obviously there is a lot of science to a lot of a lot of elements of the wellness industry. But my concern deeply is that it's sold as the big fix when actually the reason you feel exhausted, the reason you feel burnt out, the reason you have high cortisol is not because you haven't had a bubble bath this week or done enough yoga classes, but because you're doing a lot of unpaid labor in your household, you're not being paid enough for the work that you do, You're not being treated appropriately in your relationships, and those struggles and the cost of building crisis we exist in. The political sort of arena we exist in right now is probably more to do with the reason you don't feel well. The industry you're being sold is the all curing fix.
Speaker 1: I feel like the wellness industry really boomed when women came to a point where they realized they couldn't have it all.
Speaker 2: Yes, like we tried for so long to have.
Speaker 1: It all, to keep it all up, to have I've got to be everything and do everything, but we came crumbling down, and then all of a sudden, the wellness industry came along and said, we have a fix for this.
Speaker 2: And it costs money. And it costs a lot of money too.
Speaker 3: And I think it's also like women were taught to have it all, but to have it all in a visual public way, like a lot of the women that are projecting the habit all mentality, that have cleaners, that have cooks, that have a lot of help behind the scenes, and that's just not the case for everyone.
Speaker 2: It's a very privileged position. I see, exactly, it's not.
Speaker 3: And I think we're sold this lie that other people can do it and look so beautiful and perfect whilst it's happening, when in reality we know that's a lot of time out Instagram feeds feeding us a lie or telling us that we need to earn a million dollars in order to have that lifestyle.
Speaker 2: Which is just not possible for people.
Speaker 3: And then the wellness industry came along and said, yeah, exactly, if you do enough saunas this week, I'm sure that'll be fixed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all those soners are nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a sauna goer. Like I think, it's just it's not about saying you don't do these things. It's about saying, have the awareness that this isn't going to fix deep rooted issues that aren't your fault.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So how do we dismantle this wellness to be? Because I feel like wellness is such a loaded term. Yes, now, because I kind of want to feel well, but then I also don't want to feel shame and guilt because I'm not doing everything.
Speaker 2: All of those things.
Speaker 3: I think we need to separate, like what is good, the good and healthy and genuinely scientific backed parts of wellness, but also how that actually relates to mental health and physical health. So, like I'm someone when I'm looking at conversations around like self love and self care, trying to separate what is a commodity from an industry that's actually not engaging in like scientific backed research. What is just like a bath bomb versus actually going to the doctor or going to see a psychologist regularly and all of these things. Like, wellness is a holistic term, and I think it has an important role to play, but what sits under it now is very fake, very aesthetic, very surface level. And my concern is that we're falling into the trap of believing it's all equal and it's all the same, And I think we need to separate out what is actually constructive mental and physical health and what is wellness with the bow on top and a hefty price tag.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I almost think we need to lose the term wellness and just call it go back to well being. Yes, you know, twenty years ago it was just well being. Yeah, there was no wellness, and then suddenly it's almost the ness the price tag, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Like you walk into any store and you actually.
Speaker 3: Have this like sage experience of you know, something smells lovely, something looks lovy, and you're like, okay, this pair of slippers, how is that now come under like a form of self care?
Speaker 2: This certain mat that I have to get? Oh, you can buy cars around wellness?
Speaker 3: Yes, everything has the world and it's thrown around so much that it means nothing anymore.
Speaker 1: How do you navigate or perhaps what's the word protect yourself? For when you walk walk into somewhere and something sold as wellness versus something genuinely science backed helps your health, how do you mentally kind of work out what's legit and what's not.
Speaker 3: I honestly think it's about having a hard conversation with yourself in the moment. Like I'm someone who go in and go This bar of soap does look fantastic, right, This candle looks brilliant and it smells lovely.
Speaker 2: But why do I want it?
Speaker 3: Do?
Speaker 2: I want it because it's.
Speaker 3: Lovely and it's gonna look pretty in my home and it's gonna make me feel good for a day, and I want to get it? Then sure, Like what am I willing to pay? But don't expect it to change your life? I think my approach is always just like, have a reasonable expectation for yourself as to what this can do for me and why I'm buying it, interrogating the why behind my actions there.
Speaker 2: I'm allowed to have lovely things. I'm allowed to want beautiful things. Do you have a candle? Yes? I have lovely things.
Speaker 3: I love buying nice things for myself on a whim when I'm going on a shopping day with my mum or something.
Speaker 2: There's nothing I mean, I love a candle too, I'm not here.
Speaker 3: And then the point is not to shame the individual, it's to attack the structure above it that goes I'm going to get this. I'm going to make someone a victim of this price tag and sell it to them as as as a cure.
Speaker 2: But that's my problem.
Speaker 1: How do we dismantle that big questioning that yeah, a couple of minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think again, it's about and part of that is the individual approach of when you walk into a store understanding that often this isn't research driven, this isn't data driven, this is something pretty and again, having that honest conversation with yourself, I think is the first step to dismantling it in your own personal life, because when you're buying things and trying to find things that make you feel better and they're ultimately not, there needs to be a bigger probe, a bigger interrogation as to why and actually looking at well, what are the things that make me more mentally and physically better healthy? That well being peace again. I think it's the personal interrogation that ultimately will lead to reduce sales for those faux wellness marketing strategies.
Speaker 2: What do you do to feel better? Honestly, go for a walk.
Speaker 3: I have a really good set of playlists that are defined by mood yeap. I've sort of rookie runner. I run five k's and I look like a tomato and I have to lie down for an hour afterwards.
Speaker 2: But it makes me feel really rundy. Yeah, I did pretty well. I did a half marathon last year, my first one. It was really good. Hello, you are not a rookie runner if you do a half marathon.
Speaker 3: I mean it was rough, it was tough going, but I'm just someone who's like very I love my alone time. I love having my own space, and I love just setting aside a lot of time during the year to like have a weekend away. Like I'm someone who invests in bigger pieces of well being rather than smaller pieces of wellness.
Speaker 2: What do you do when you go away?
Speaker 3: Read books, turn off my phone for twelve hours. I'm actually planning on going a holiday where I put my phone in a safe in the hotel for at least a week. That's what I want to do in the next year at some point as the biggest challenge to myself, because my phone is the barrier between me and well being. Like that's what I truly believe. And it's also my job. My phone is my job in a sense because I work on social media. So I think that going for a walk, touching grass quite literally, going outside, being in places aren't my home. Taking time for myself truly by myself, which not everyone has the luxury of at all times, are the things I do. You know.
Speaker 1: I interviewed Liz Gilbert this week and she actually locks her phone in a safe for a day, really and we actually laughed about it and it's laughable.
Speaker 3: But you have to actually do that, No, because I find myself going I'm gonna put my phone down for six hours and then I actually open my phone. When I delete like Instagram or something for a day, I opened my phone and I forget why I was there. And that's how I know that it's so mindless and it's so addictive, and it is it's a drug addiction, genuinely. But when I justify that it's my work, I struggle to break that tether.
Speaker 2: So I think the safe rule. That's my goal for twenty twenty five. Okay, we look forward to hearing more about that. Thank you for coming on healthy, Thanks having me.
Speaker 1: I do have a lot of time for Hannah. I think she has done incredible things in the media space, so make sure you grab her book. It is called Taboo.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 1: She talks about wellness culture, among many other feminist ideas and arguments.
Speaker 2: That she has.
Speaker 1: If you did enjoy this tell us you can rate and review of this podcast of course, DM me at Felicity Halley. If you have any other feedback, head to Body and Soul dot com dot you follow us on socials, grow our print edition which is out in your local Sunday paper. Thanks again for listening, and stay Healthy is