Speaker 1: Lucky dip time. It's lucky dip time. You're lucky, lucky lucky dip. T Come take a dip with us, dip with us, Come for a skinny dip. It's Mail and Monty. Have you have his skinny dipped mal?
Speaker 2: No, I haven't.
Speaker 1: I haven't either.
Speaker 2: You know what, I should put that on an actual bucket list.
Speaker 1: To skinny dip.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How liberating to go down to the beach at nighttime, which I'd never get into the water at nighttime, No I would, but to like take off your clothes and skinny dip. It's such a scene of Jaws speaking of people having a naked dip. Sam took Odie down that he takes him down to the beach most mornings. There was a couple about one hundred meters away from him making out so hectically. Sam was like, and Sam and a friend with there, like, oh my god, look at them go for it. They get up and go behind the dunes. Oh, so clearly they've gone to root, come back butt naked and get in the water.
Speaker 2: Okay, there'd be a trail should be leaving them, but oh god.
Speaker 1: Like a snail so funny, you don't see that every day, do you. I was like, it's a fun day at the beach for you, fun morning.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think they should have started behind the dunes. If you want to get your kicks that way, knock yourself out. But they probably didn't know the kissing was going to lead to it. Also, it was morning time. I said to them, they must have been out all night, because it's seven in the morning. You're not going down the beach to just make out with somebody root behind the dunes and getting the water. Nah, you're not. I mean, they definitely wouldn't have brushed their teeth, That's what.
Speaker 1: I was thinking. Oh all of that disgusting.
Speaker 2: Brush those chompers too.
Speaker 1: Seriously, all right, what have you got for lucky dip today?
Speaker 2: I have a little fascinating story, right, Okay, so it's going a fair way back. But in eighteen fifty.
Speaker 1: Nine, who we are going back a bit.
Speaker 2: This seventy year old doctor named doctor James Barry had been practicing medicine for like over forty years, had become ill in London or whatever, and the medical Board forced him to retire. This was distressing to him and a few days later he died. They did an autopsy and they found that doctor James Barry was a woman. Oh, listen to this.
Speaker 1: Back then, that would have been very It wouldn't have even been a thing.
Speaker 2: This is not what you think. This is like one of those stories that makes you think things are not where they should be when it comes to gender equality. But fuck, they have come very far. So. Doctor James Barry was born Margaret Ann Bulkley in seventeen eighty nine in Ireland. But back then women were not allowed to train to become doctors. They were not allowed to be doctors at all. So in order to become a doctor, she started dressing like a man, cut her hair and changed her name to doctor James Barry. She was one of the first people to perform a successful cesarean Wow, where the mother and baby both survived. Right this whole time, nobody knew that she was a woman.
Speaker 1: Wow, what a fucking legend.
Speaker 2: She traveled the world, like working in war zones with you know, like soldiers that had been injured and stuff, because that was not an opportunity for a woman. The lengths this person had to go through to do this, is that not unbelievable? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wow, it's just yeah, it does show you how far we have come, even though we are so fucking far from where we need to be. But yeah, to go, okay, I'm going to do this. It makes you wonder if anyone else did it, any other females did it, But I guess not. It wouldn't be that common because you wouldn't like to even have the thinking to go, I'm going to do this. This is so it would have been completely illegal, but just to go, I'm going to do this. I'm going to address as a guy. I'm going to pretend I'm a guy and I'm going to do what I actually want to do in life, Like how full on? So also why yeah, just for them to do the autopsy to then realize that, imagine the person who did the autopsy, who took down the pants and are like, that's not a dick.
Speaker 2: And it's not like she was interchanging, like living as Margaret sometimes and then living as doctor James Barry.
Speaker 1: It is just that at home she might have been No, it was.
Speaker 2: A complete like her identity, nobody knew. I'm like, I don't even think the parents knew. I think she just like disappeared.
Speaker 1: Do you like, I wonder what her voice was like people just were probably like, oh, it's a guy with a high voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess you. I mean, what a testament if you want something badly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, imagine.
Speaker 2: The effort, even the voice. Imagine being so conscious of bringing your voice down lower to sound more masculine.
Speaker 1: But that's what people have to do.
Speaker 2: Now, Well, there's hormones to do that.
Speaker 1: So he's also very It's still like sometimes you can still really tell, and it can be one of the hardest things for trans is because they look and feel like a woman, but they've got a really deep voice. Even if they have that, you can have the vocal operation and everything. Yeah, does it still doesn't sometimes convert your voice right over to what you want it to be.
Speaker 2: No, well, I think I didn't think of I actually automatically thought of a woman transitioning to a man. I don't even know if that language is right. Sorry, if that's offensive, I don't mean to be. But that like if you start taking testosterone, like if your testosterone levels are too high, if you're taking HRT right and your testosterone levels are too high, then it can alter your voice. And that doesn't change, that doesn't go back. Yeah, so you know, I think it's easier if you're going that way. I didn't actually think of if you're going the other way. Yes, from male to female.
Speaker 1: Such a beautiful documentary that everyone should watch. It's Will for Out. Have you seen it with trailer? You know what? Everyone needs to watch this documentary. And we watched it with my thirteen year old son backs. It's called Will and Harper and it's Will Pharal with his buddy who he used to work with. It's Saturday Night Live for years and years, and they just were so close. And at the time it was Andrew who has transitioned over to Harper. Yeah, and they take a road trip across America because Andrew used to always do these road trips as a man and would always feel safe in these certain spots. So she wanted to go back to the same spots and see how it would go being a woman. And it's just such a beautiful documentary on friendship, but also you know, it gives you a real insight to transgender It's just so beautiful. It's something we should all watch because it just helps you get a better understanding. But a part of that is you meet women who have had they catch up with a woman who has had the vocal surgery and her voice is still quite deep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's almost like if people, I think, if people in life just learned to have more empathy, because nothing pieces me off more than when people talk about like, oh, because it's in fashion now or it's a trend, and I'm like, who would like that? Is almost like upending your life to do that.
Speaker 1: So because of an acquaintance of mine, not a friend, but a beautiful woman's daughter was born a boy, yea right, and he is in grade six now. And she said, from literally one years old, she could tell that her son was a girl. It was just the way it was. Anyway, as she got older, she would always have friends that were girls, and she wanted to wear the school it's private school, pretty full on private school. Wanted to wear the school dress. So she started to wear the school dress. And then basically I just don't want to use names. That's why doing a little bit. But the mom, you know, said to the school that next year, this little girl, I'm gonna call her Lucy, is coming back to school as Lucy. And that is and is to be with the girls, is to be considered a girl and from now and everyone is calling her Lucy. The school were phenomenal. When Lucy came back to school, they made even a like the kids made a what are they called, like an honor like with their hands up together, and Lucy ran through the middle of it all. I know. It was so gorgeous. And he's just now known as Lucy. Every birthday she asks for her penis to be removed, every single birthday and her mum is like, no, you can do that when you're eighteen, Like that is not happening now, but it's something you can do in your future. But is a girl, and it's just then hates her body because she's got a penis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean there are stories of young kids who just cannot bear it and if they have a penis, they attempt to cut it off.
Speaker 1: It's such a fucking herry fic shit going on. It's just awful.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's very full on. Yeah, it's like if only people just had a bit more compassion. No one's asking you to change genders.
Speaker 1: This doesn't hurt anyone else, Like, it's just that this conversation is just it's so it almost feels redundant to me because I'm like, what the fuck are we still talking about this for? And why are we saying any of this? Like, how is this even still a conversation.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you why. Now Trump's in office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess why it is.
Speaker 2: I'm already started. It's already started. And you think of how many kids are going to suicide now because they're not even able to be who they really are.
Speaker 1: The suicide rate already is so hectic. And that's why my mate is like, I'm one hundred percent supporting my child because the suicide rate is so huge and if I don't allow her to be who she is and then she kills herself, Like, it's so fucking hectic, it's just awful. Anyway, that was a really light, fun, lucky dip. You never know what you're gonna.
Speaker 2: Get, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, everyone, thanks for listening. We hope you are well and we will be chatting with you very soon. By now, love you is