Speaker 1: Oh Hello and happy summer. Yes to celebrate this season, the Healthy Ish team are out of office and we are dropping our most listen episodes for twenty twenty four. I am the host of Felicity Hallie and joining us well is a friend of the pod Susie Burrow. She also is a dietitian and author, and she joined us Well a few months ago to discuss why it's hard to lose weight, plus her five habits for healthy weight loss and health success. Now listening to Extra Healthy Ish, where she discusses her principles for long term weight control. If that interests you, you can search for Extra Healthy Ish wherever you get your podcasts. Susie, how are you?
Speaker 2: It's always so nice to be here in the studio. We could chat all day, record all.
Speaker 1: Day record and congratulations on your book.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Leanne and I are very proud. This has been a work in progress for quite some time off the back of our Nutrition Couch podcast, but we really wanted to develop something that was practical for busy women and able to target whatever their focus was, whether it was getting their mindset right, whether it was learning how to nourish their body, or whether they had the goal of losing fat, but in a sustainable way, so hopefully there's something in there for everyone.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard for people to lose fat? I mean, what sort of factors are at play?
Speaker 3: How is the billion dollar question?
Speaker 2: There is so much food around all the time, and we love to eat, and we're.
Speaker 3: Less likely to move and burn it all off.
Speaker 2: So I think we just are in a world where we celebrate over food, we comfort with food, and metabolically, particularly as we get older as women, it just becomes harder metabolically to burn. You know, the human body likes to store, so you really have to constantly be out smarting it and learn to have a balance between enjoying your favorite foods but they're being able to keep your calories under control. So about that balance, you know in life where it's nice to go to a restaurant and eat out or have a few drinks on the weekend, but that means in the week we probably have to buffer it a little bit. And there's some of the strategies we really focus on because we work with real people every day.
Speaker 3: We like to eat ourselves and we.
Speaker 2: Know it's not about constant restriction or cutting back because that only feels the diet.
Speaker 1: Cycle, you know, the first thing you said, I mean, if you look from an evolutionary standpoint, where were designed to feast and famine in so many ways, won't we and then suddenly we've got we're in this built food environment. And I think it's really important that it's really not our fault. And often we self blame when it's about of that healthy weight range, and I think that for me is just really important it's actually not your fault.
Speaker 2: No, And I think there's a lot of blaming activity with women that goes on. But basically, as human beings, if food is available, we will eat.
Speaker 3: You're not weak, you don't like self control. You're human.
Speaker 2: So it's about structuring the environment to be more conducive to weight control. It's about developing some of those clear rules and structures that work for you. It is about I think, if going back to evolution, like going back in from an evolutionary perspective, like even say the nineteen fifty sixty seventies, you would eat three meals a day, have you breakfast at home, probably a small bottle of cereal, plain sandwich at lunch, and then wait till six o'clock dinner was on the table. Fast forward, you know, thirty forty fifty years now, we have breakfast that runs over two or three hours with milk based coffee. Then we all love to have snacks, so there's morning tea, lunch, you know, goes later in the day one or two o'clock. Then we graze all afternoon on the kid's food or the pep ups to get us through the afternoon at work. And then we get home after a long day and we're starving because we haven't eaten well, and then we snack, and then we have dinner as well, and then again we've got through a stressful long day in modern life, and we reward ourselves with wine and chocolate and treats. So it's really not hard to see. We just eat way too much for the amount of activity that we do in a life where we sit down most of the time. So it does require quite a lot of planning and strategy to buffer that. And you write, it's not people's fault, but you do have the ability to take control and learn a structure that will work for you when they're the variables you're dealing with every day.
Speaker 1: Good point you work with people, you've got your very popular podcast. Always see it at the top of the chart, SUSI, well done. What's the one or two traits you see in people who you know who want to lose weight to get back in their healthy weight range, lose it and then keep it off.
Speaker 2: So there's a belief that you're on a diet for a certain period and then you lose weight, and then you go back.
Speaker 3: To your old eating patterns.
Speaker 2: But your old eating patterns were maintaining a higher weight than you should have been, so you might have been seventy eighty ninety kilos. So you can't go back to your own habits. You have to reprogram to develop your new baseline that allows you to maintain the weight that you like, and that often requires a buffering effect where you do have some light days of eating because we all like to go out and have a.
Speaker 3: Few heavy days.
Speaker 2: So it's an acceptance that that will have to be the way to eat forever, and an acceptance around moving again. I think people do exercise on special occasions when they want to lose weight. The more activity you do, the more calories you burn, Basically, the more you're going to be able to eat.
Speaker 3: So if you like to eat like so many of us do.
Speaker 2: You're probably going to have to exercise a lot, so really it's about reaching an acceptance about what you need to do as an individual, rather than being on and off a program, and that you'll keep doing that for as many years as it takes for you to understand that. It's about reprogramming your baseline to a lower level of the weight that you want to sit at.
Speaker 1: You've got some core healthy habits in here which are very simple, but I think there it's a great reminder for us all whether you know we want to maintain our weight lose weight. They're quiet, let's just talk through them quickly, Eat more fitches.
Speaker 3: If I wrote a book with that as the title, no one would buy it.
Speaker 2: But it's the most effective strategy and no one, you know, Leanna and I speak to women all day every day, and no one eats enough vegetables. You know, you need a serve or two at every single meal, and as soon as you do that, there's less room for all the other calories, so you eat less. It's the simplest dietary strategy, and yet we don't do it. The secrets to make them taste good, you know, have a green juice in the morning, or great extra veggies into your meals, or add a super salad to lunch. It's not about having a boring piece of broccoli on the plate, you know, it's about really focusing on them as the core of the meal. But most of my clients will always go first calves and protein and maybe a bit of tomato on the side, And it's just rejigging that to be more salad, veggie bolk on the plate first, and then half your dietary issues will be solved and of course disease risk just by doing that.
Speaker 3: So it's simple and boring, but it works.
Speaker 1: And I think we're I mean, we're you know, in our western modern Western society, we focus on a lot on the meat. If we're like the meat, okay, what meat are we going to have? Or what fish are we going to have? And then add the veggies. We should really be focusing what are the veggies look like? Oh, and then we might add that little bit of meat or fish or whatever.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like when you go to a restaurant, like it's always about the protein you're ordering first, and then the veggies may be aside.
Speaker 3: You have to pay a fortune for. So it's all of that.
Speaker 2: Programming that means it's not the front of mine, but certainly as soon as we se and this is something supermarkets are doing well. They're making vegetables and stuff it easier and more cost effective, so you can buy a salad bag for five dollars and get two or three serves out of it with a nice dressing.
Speaker 3: It tastes good.
Speaker 2: So it absolutely is about making it taste good and incorporating it into delicious food rather than being the boring side that of course, no one's really.
Speaker 1: Motivating under exactly prioritize movements. The other one we've already talked about that take time to plan.
Speaker 2: Planning is the key to dietary success. It's having the food available when you're hungry, tired, and it's ready to go. It's getting home late at night, having a meal in the freezer you can quickly heat up so you don't order in a high calorie meal. That is probably, after vegetables, the most important strategy. Creating ten fifteen minutes a week just to map out the meals, order in the snacks, pack the lunch the night before. Make it easy, because when it's easy, to eat well that you will grab it as opposed to not having options available.
Speaker 1: How much time do you spend planning?
Speaker 3: I'll know what I'm eating every day every week.
Speaker 1: Do you plan on a Sunday?
Speaker 3: I actually do.
Speaker 2: The same thing every week, so it's just what I need to buy. I remember you telling me yefore yeah and not.
Speaker 3: Everyone's like that.
Speaker 2: They want variety, and you might want to get out the recipe books and do a beautiful meal plan each to their own. But in my family, I tend to eat the same thing each.
Speaker 3: Weeknight, getting ball and as Monday night.
Speaker 2: Similarly salmon every Monday, and so on Sunday or Saturday. I know what I need to order or buy, so it's ready to go for the week, because like most people, I don't have time. I pack the kids lunches and all the lunches the night before while I'm cleaning up. Absolutely, it's planning cook.
Speaker 1: More at home. That's pretty easy. But last one, I just the last one I want you to talk about is focus on consistency. What's this all about?
Speaker 3: Well, it's that on and off again, isn't it. We're all or nothing?
Speaker 2: We eat really strictly for Monday, Tuesday, and then you know, loose of control it over eat the rest of the week. So if you can be consistent five or six days a week with light dinners, with an early lunch, with a protein rich breakfast, and then just allow a meal or two that's more indulgent, that's the model we want to reach.
Speaker 3: Whereas most of us have Monday Tuesday pretty.
Speaker 2: Good, and then it all unravels because we haven't planned, we don't have the vegetables, we don't know what to cook. So if you spend that time planning and aim to be consistant most of the week and highlight a couple of special occasion meals, you will have much better consistency.
Speaker 3: And that's the secret to success. Thank you, Sissy, Thank you for having me always so nice to be here.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to this interview as part of our twenty twenty four summer series. There are plenty more awesome epps for your ears, both from Healthy Ish and our big sister podcast Extra healthy Ish. If you did like this interview, please take you equipment to share it with a friend. If you do want any other info, head to body andsoul dot com dot you follow us on socials. Any feedback please dm me at Felicity Harley and until tomorrow enjoy the sun and stay healthy ish