Speaker 1: Guys, I've brought this to your attention a few days back. Quantus data for frequent flyers has leaked onto the dark web.
Speaker 2: I saw this. Now, what are they going to have of mine?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: Maybe your meal preferences, your seat, your favorite seat.
Speaker 2: She asked for a champagne and the chicken and always asked for.
Speaker 1: A second serving, Like things like email addresses, you know in some cases addresses. All these important personal details have been leaked onto the dark week.
Speaker 5: Can the hack my points because everyone knows conscious points like second currency?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Absolutely well to tell us more, tech expert and friend of the show, Travelong, Hello, should we be concerned? I mean, I mean I'm a frequent flyer, I'm a concus customer.
Speaker 5: I mean you wave the flag for Quantus in the reg What do they have of mine?
Speaker 6: You fly more than their pilot's Clinton, They've got They've got a lot about you. But the thing is this is people who have contacted their call center Basic in the last two years, they're the people that have been victims here. But they could, as you said, they could have anything from your basic detail. So you name your email, your frequent fly number, and your points balance through to your meal preference.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: I know it doesn't sound like that bigger deal, and we could joke about it, but the thing is, this is now. This is not just a thing that happened. This data is now in the hands of scammers. They literally have the data. There was gigabytes of data now available. They've got it all. So you're going to get emails now, you're going to get phone calls, You're going to get text messages, and those messages will be far more personalized than ever before because they know those little things about you.
Speaker 7: They might take a little bit of info they learn.
Speaker 6: About you from Optis, a little bit from medibank, and now a little bit from quantics and whatever the email is. Whether it's an email about travel or flights, which is obvious, they'll try and trick you into thinking your flights to lay click here, update your details, or some random email that talks about something about you that feels very personal.
Speaker 7: This must be real because they know that I gluten.
Speaker 6: Free, so you're more likely to click that button.
Speaker 7: That's the trick here, that's the scam.
Speaker 2: Hey, trev.
Speaker 5: When this story popped up, it was it was that these hackers or scammers had given Quantus a deadline to play to effectively pay a ransom, which Quantus didn't pay.
Speaker 2: What do you think they should have done? Like, I know, we can't.
Speaker 5: You can't pay these scammers and hackers, but it is a huge compromise of all of our details and it's someone has to be responsible for it.
Speaker 7: It's a massive compromise.
Speaker 6: So when we first heard about the hack, it was like, okay, it's in the hands of the hackers now, but we didn't know if the data would ever be released. And as soon as they started talking about ransoms and releasing data by a certain data was like, hang on it, this is going to happen, and it genuinely happened. So unlike in Optus, Optus data was never fully released. You know, there's millions of people's data and only ten thousand were ever released in this case, as far as we can tell, it's all been released now and so it's real. It's out there. Connus couldn't pay the ransom. You pay the ransom, you start a whole other world of dramas. But the Conus needs to be held responsible. The government needs to come down so hard on them so that not only they regret it and work harder, but every company works harder to protect our data.
Speaker 3: So true they were threatening that they or they have they posted on the dark Web. The dark web fascinates me. I don't know how to get take us yet. You have the membership dark reb written all over you.
Speaker 6: So think of it like an alternate Internet. So it uses a different browser. You can't get it on Google Chrome uses a different browser, and essentially there's no real search engine of the dark Web.
Speaker 7: You've got to be in groups. You've got to be in.
Speaker 4: I can't get it on the app.
Speaker 2: Store, so not everyone can access it.
Speaker 7: Look, you can.
Speaker 6: You can download a dark web browser pretty quickly and easily, but there's nothing there unless you're so. I was in a Telegram group, you know Telegram. It's like what's happened Signal?
Speaker 3: All those things I've heard about.
Speaker 7: It.
Speaker 6: It just communicating with themselves and their followers via Telegram, and that's where I got the dark web link, and I was able to see what they were purporting to release and see the data.
Speaker 7: But again I didn't go counlighting it.
Speaker 1: I don't want what else is on the dark Web. If we get access, what do we find?
Speaker 3: What's there? Drugs?
Speaker 7: Film, as well.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's basically a place where you know, if it's if it's not suited for general public consumption, or it's it's the kind of nefarious thing that you wouldn't want Google finding, then it's on the dark Web. You's got to remember, as soon as you put something on the Internet, Google's able to find it and infiltrate it and indexit, search it. So the dark web is not searchable, and that's.
Speaker 2: Why I don't want to be a member of the dark Web.
Speaker 6: But the biggest thing with this, with Quantus, with everything with the dark Web is vigilance. You've just got to know that these people aren't out there to prank call you. It's not knock and run style. This is they want to get your infrom more of information. So be very wary of phone calls, text messages and emails that feel like they want you to do something, and then ask yourself, why why do they want me to click that tre.
Speaker 3: Have you ever come close to being done yourself?
Speaker 6: I don't think so, but I wouldn't rule it out. I mean I don't know. Look, I've definitely been a part of plenty of hacks. There's a great, great website called Have I Been Pooned? It's owned with a P, and you type in your email address and it tells you every hack you've ever been part of.
Speaker 2: I need to have I Been Honed?
Speaker 7: P w ne E D pooned.
Speaker 6: No, there's no owned, but put a P instead of.
Speaker 3: The O w O any p w n E D no O no Jesus Christ dot com.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's very nerdy dot com.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you put in your email address and it tells you all the hacks that your email address has been linked to. And that means just, let's be honest, you've all shared the password from one side to another. Yeah, and it'll freak you out.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, hang on, hang on, hang on before you drop it.
Speaker 2: By good, I'm doing mine now too.
Speaker 3: Is this part of a hack?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: No, But you know what I mentioned about quantus with an injunction the data, the data that qunis has got. This is how Troy Hunt, who runs that website, would normally add quanas to the list, but he can't.
Speaker 7: He's not legally allowed to.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what. We've got to go to a break, but let's come back, because I'm watching the reaction of these two I think they've been done a couple of times. Over Hey, Trevor Long, t Expert Extraordinary, Trevor, we love your work mate. You welcome on the show anytime. Thanks so much.
Speaker 7: Cheers, see so true.
Speaker 4: Thanks true.
Speaker 3: Right across Melbourne, this is No. Over one hundred. You are on the air with Jason Lauren Clints here as well. We're just talking to Texpert Extraordinary Trevor Long, regarding this latest Quantus data hack.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I feel like we're hearing this in the news a lot, like your data has been breached, you've been hacked. You get those little iPhone notifications sometimes, do you ever get that same you may have been in a scammer hat and.
Speaker 4: Put to this incredible website.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's called have I Been Poned?
Speaker 5: I've never heard of it spelled pw ne D And you go on it and then you type in your email and it tells you how many scams you've been.
Speaker 1: Now our shock was data breach audible Like we both gasped, and.
Speaker 3: It's I've just put mine worry zero data breaches.
Speaker 2: Zero data breaches. That's why I was like you and I got.
Speaker 4: Eight data breaches.
Speaker 1: Of course it's you, okay, So I've got Luxotica in March twenty twenty one, the world's largest eyewear company. They actually owned Sunglass hut right, you might recall, so their entire entire database was breached. So email address, gender names, phone numbers, physical addresses, and then ox Fam ox Fam Australia real victim of a data breach, email dress, bank account numbers, whoa partial credit card data payment histories?
Speaker 2: When was that?
Speaker 4: Does it say it goes twenty twenty one?
Speaker 3: Also, God, you haven't been big to charity since twenty twenty one?
Speaker 2: Have you donated to Oxfam? And mine didn't say it was breach?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 3: You know my other email address is your own data breaches?
Speaker 2: What's your other email address?
Speaker 3: Sometimes you've got two?
Speaker 2: What have you got? Big boy sixty nine? Hotmail? Going on?
Speaker 7: Geez?
Speaker 4: Is that concerning what it is?
Speaker 3: Now? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Let me check my old hotmail address.
Speaker 3: That is sugar Lips. I'm the score.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's that's me, my bank account. I've had that bank account forever. You don't like you don't like charge change?
Speaker 3: Is it your dollar?
Speaker 5: Might want.
Speaker 4: Usually credit card data?
Speaker 1: So, like Trev told us, they're basically it's little pieces of the puzzle and drag the pieces of the puzzle together.
Speaker 4: That's when they get.
Speaker 5: Guys, my old my my hotmail address, which I don't access anymore, but some things still go there. In twenty twenty one, Twitter, my details were breached, name, email address, social media.
Speaker 2: Profile, my heritage. I didn't even know i'd done that. I still don't know where.
Speaker 3: I'm from, what my heritage like one of those.
Speaker 4: You're from Glenarris.
Speaker 2: Originally.
Speaker 5: And in two thousand and eight, guys, heaven help whoever's got access to this?
Speaker 2: My MySpace was breached?
Speaker 4: No, not your top friends.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, my top twelve friends and my.
Speaker 5: Rock mills playing in the background.
Speaker 2: I loved.
Speaker 3: If you want to look this website up again, it's called have I Been Poned?
Speaker 2: P w n ed dot com. Wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 5: And you can also get yourself notified if you if there is a data breach with your data.
Speaker 3: It's worth checking. Yeah, one hundred percent do it. Yeah you're going to go change your bank count now?
Speaker 7: Probably not.
Speaker 1: Jason Lauren Lauren wake up feeling good following them on the social