Speaker 1: Divine and cook pray, Anthony Harper.
Speaker 2: Here we are, Oh bloody hell, look at us like a couple of champs on a Sunday. We should be a church at ten thirty seven. I don't know what charch.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 2: It is somewhat well. I do have the propensity to babble on and people go, can you stop quoting the Bible? All right? All right? I didn't write it.
Speaker 1: Though, reach brother Harps, nah, I do love.
Speaker 2: Somebody did send me a quite a stern a Christian that sent me quite a stern kind of piece of feedback that I was being in some way disingenuous or somewhat mocking or something, which I genuinely wasn't trying to be. But it's funny how they're same, and we're talking about this thousand times. But you know, I'll say one thing and some people are like, oh, mate, that is hilarious. You're the best. That's so funny, And then someone else sits down for an hour and writes and rewrites and drafts a fucking thousand word email to tell you that you're going to burn in an eternal lake of fire and that you're being whatever. I'm like, okay, but I understand both, and I'm not mad or you know, I get it. I get it. I get it, and who knows, who knows? They could be right? They could be right.
Speaker 1: The other thing in this, I know you want to talk about a bit of this today, which so this is interesting. But the other thing is the thing about a show like the You Project, where we're sitting down talking every day and it's it's it feels like you and I are sitting in the lounge room with all of the listeners like we're this big. We call it the typ Family. Well I do. I think you do too, don't you so? And we forget that this is a podcast that people can just walk People can walk into that room at any point and not necessarily know Craig Harper deeply and all the sides of him in his background and his experience with religion and the times you've spoken about it in different ways. And then they come in and hear a bit of a joke and a bit of a snide remark that they take as a snide remark, but you know that's like, oh, they're only hearing one version of Harps and.
Speaker 2: That that's how the world works. And I'm not mad at anyone for that, and even the people that don't like me, it doesn't. It doesn't, you know, if people are horrible and vindictive. But if people just go, I don't really like you, I don't vibe with you, I'm like, cool, Go find someone you like and vibe with. And I mean that genuinely, find somebody that you like to listen to that inspires you. But I think, like I'm as long as you actually want to vibe with someone, doesn't have to be me, and listen to someone or learn from someone, or you know, if if all you do is criticize everyone you listen to and everything you read, and then that's that's probably a different thing, but one. And even sometimes there's no bigger critic of Craig Harper than Craig Harper. And I listen to things that I've said, like every now and then I'll like, the other day we put up Harry Garside that an interview I did about two years ago, and I thought, because Harry just fought obviously, and we all know he didn't win his fight, but he was just so amazing and gracious and gorgeous post fight, and the things he said, and I went well, let's you know, and I've been running up and back and forward to the country to kind of look after my folks a little bit. So there's a bit going on on Planet Jumbo. And anyway, they're not two short stories. I went, I'll have a bit of a listen to me and Harry to see because I never listened generally back, and I went, I kind of listened to twenty minutes, and I went, Harry's brilliant. But I'm a fucking idiot. It's like that's and I know I'm not an idiot, but I honestly I cringe when I hear my own shit, which is part of the reason that and I know that I know that sometimes that's warranted. Sometimes I'm not doing a great job, for sure, And you've got to be that honest and that brave, I think, because otherwise, if you always think that everyone else is wrong or you are doing a good job when you're not doing a good job, then you can't really learn and grow and evolve and get better because you already think you're there. But I listened to it, and I went and I waited up, and I went, well, is this worth putting up? Because I didn't like me so much in it, and I think overall it's quite good, and I think the main point is Harry, and Harry's really good. So now, before we go too deep into this chat, Melissa will sack me if I don't mention the fact she's like said she ranging me. Just before we started, She goes, could you please remember now, I'm going to say that I am quite terrible at business, and I am terrible at promoting the things that I have coming up. Considering how much normal people in my position promote the fuck out of their books and programs and you know, offerings, I'm shit. So here's what I'm going to tell you. I've got some workshops coming up.
Speaker 1: Oh whoa right, people have been stomping their feet for these hats.
Speaker 2: Come on, oh have they? Though? I have? So Bendigo, bendigo, I'm coming to you on Sunday, August eighteen. I've written a brand new workshop. It's called Understanding You. Obviously there's you know, we're recovering some stuff, but we're opening new doors. We're opening new doors. Some of it's based on my PhD research, some of it's based on just stuff that I've gleaned over the last five years four years since I've really been at the coal face of public workshops. But it's all about helping you become a better version of you physically, mentally, emotionally, socially, practically, behaviorally, whatever that means. It's called Understanding You. August eighteen in Bendigo. It's three hours, it's two to five. It's cheap as fuck. Get on board. Also, I'm doing one in Melbourne, same workshop in Melbourne on September eighth, That is at Deacon University. That is nine thirty till twelve thirty on a Sunday. Also Malulaba stand by, stand by, Malula bar fuckety fuck. I'm coming up to the Sunshine Coast to do some corporate work and while i'm there, while i'm there, because I can, I am doing an interactive kind of workshop called Stop Wasting Your Potential. This is a private workshop for about twenty five to thirty people. Where is it at I think it's at the Mantra. Often what I do when I'm traveling in state and i'm doing corporate work is i will book the boardroom of the hotel that i'm staying at and I'll just do a private workshop. So if you are in or around the Sunshine Coast that is happening on August twenty two, that is very different. That is where we're all essentially sitting at a great, big table and it gives you an opportunity to be very involved if you want, or you can just sit there and be a participant in that way. And the last thing I've got to promote is which everyone can come to. You don't need to be in Victoria or the Sunshine Coast or Bendigo. You can be anywhere in the world. I'm doing a workshop, and this is a new workshop also called Love your Body. It's an online workshop and opening a few doors. Obviously, my background is in running gyms and owning gyms and being an excise scientist and working with tens of thousands of bodies. But I'm going to be I'll give you a hint. I'm presenting more. Yes, we're talking about the anatomy in physiology, and we're talking about nutrition and sets and reps, and we're talking about all the fundamentals of getting in shape. But we're really opening the door on why the fuck we do the stuff that we do good and bad to our body. Stuff with food, stuff with sleep, stuff with a drugs, stuff with booze, stuff with you know, like starting, stopping, What is that about in the zone, out of the zone, losing weight, gaining weight, getting fit, getting unfit. And now I'm fifty. So we're going to talk about the psychology, the sociology, the emotion, and the physiology of changing your body forever. That is September ten, online, seven toll nine pm. It's called Love You Body. All of that shit is on my website. Melissa is going to be so proud of me. It's Craig Harper dot net. Get the fuck along, book yourself a ticket or twenty five bring one hundred friends, bibdybobbity boo. Did I do good?
Speaker 1: Bloody?
Speaker 2: Hell?
Speaker 1: Harps great heart. But twenty twenty four national tour has formally been released. Look at you go. That's exciting. I have really awesome workshops. I know.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. I am excited. I love doing general public stuff and people who think I haven't been doing anything, I do over one hundred gigs a year, but they're all corporate, right, So I'm actually really excited to be and we do public stuff every day right here. But I'm really excited to be back in a room with humans and selfishly, selfishly, the beauty of doing workshops for your fans, friends, followers, fans. That's an overstatement, is it don't be a fun at all?
Speaker 1: It's not at all. I'm still a raving fan.
Speaker 2: Whatever. Let's just go friends, followers and listeners and readers, let's do that. The beauty of that is it's what we call what speakers call a warm audience. And I love it. And it just means that from the moment that you get up, it's good. From the moment that you get there, it's a good vibe. People want to be there, people know you generally, people love you. They want you to do well. I want you to do well. It's a fucking love in. Of course, we get a few husbands who have reluctantly been dragged along, sitting there with their arms and legs and minds crossed in road fifty two, going what the fuck is this bullshit? Why did you drag me to this, darloon? We get a few of those, and we convert a few of those over. We drag them out of the darkness into the lights. The revelation of the gospel of self help and personal transformation. But yeah, so I'm excited, and it's good to be back in a room with people that I like and people that hopefully like me, and apart from having some fun and a good experience, hopefully for many people anyway, this will be and not because of Harper and not because of the day, but hopefully that experience will be a catalyst for long term change. Speaking of long term change, I'll shut up after this. Did you see I put up on a put up on Instagram yesterday. I'm looking for it now, which is not a very professional thing to do, but I put up introducing my brand new body transformation program. Did you see that?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: So I put introducing my new and it's got eight week and I crossed out eight week and wrote fifty year. So introducing my new fifty year body Transformation Challenge. And people are funny. I put it on Facebook and Insta and some of the comments are actually like, people are like, I love it when you can do something that's a bit funny but also making a good point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's like.
Speaker 2: That synthesis of oh, actually that's fucking true, but also yeah, that's a little bit that's a little bit amusing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, before you move on from the workshop conversation, I wanted to add to it, my favorite and most valued thing about those workshops is actually, like, yes, you and your content's amazing, but it's the connections that you make with the people that are there with a like minded interest and support and accountability. And some of my most valued opportunities and friendships, to be honest, that I have now and that have taken me places or moved me forward, whether it's just mentally, psychologically or actually in the world, have come from connections that came from and some of them from your workshops, some of them from people that were in your rooms, big opportunities. I worked for Ambulance Victoria through COVID because of that, and that was the catalyst for what I do now because I've met someone I connected with at that event, and I just think community and the people that are around us are the reason we change. So that's where people will meet the reasons that they'll change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hang out with people who drag you. It's a beautiful day to do that. You know. It's like, we fuck around and I'm a dickhead sometimes and sometimes a lot all the time. But okay, now that's valid. But in the middle, yeah, no, a good point. But in the middle of all of that, you know, it's like I think somebody said to me something really nice and it was I can't remember the exact words, but it was like you have a really beautiful mix of sincerity and stupidity. And I'm like, I like that because you know some of the shit like like, well, today we want to talk about how real and raw and vulnerable we should be. But you know what I don't joke about is like I would say, on average, every week of my life, I talk to two people who are thinking about ending their life, like at that time when I talk to them, right, sometimes it's three, sometimes it's none. Sometimes it's more or less. Or people who are deeply darkly rest or life, debilitatingly anxious or overwhelmingly fearful, or they just have like a nihilistic kind of paradigm of like what's the fucking point, Like I don't feel like there's a you know, and like those are those are hard conversations and you have to be present and you have to just love people, and you you know, sometimes I don't know what to say. I don't know what to say. All I do is I just listen, and I value them, and I value their feelings and I validate their feelings and I don't try to fix it, and I just be present, and you know, and then there are other people on a more practical level that come to me that need to lose fifty ks or they need to get over their shitty back or fucking lower their blood pressure or fix their fucked relationship. And obviously I'm not the answer to anything, but like we are, and you do similar, Like I am always dealing with complicated, pretty intense, pretty serious stuff. And when I'm not doing that, you know, for me, storytelling and laughter and silliness, and that's that's my therapy. You know, that's where like me sitting and we've spoken about this, but me sitting cross leg and trying to meditate, that doesn't work for me, Which is not to say it's not a great protocol, but it's not a great protocol for me. But what makes me feel good, what produces dopamine and joy and fun and kind of a version of lightness for me, is laughter for me. Is silliness for me is connection and love, And you know, so I think that in the middle of all of this, you know, this kind of silliness that we have on here, and the inappropriateness and the funny kind of videos that you put up of me being a dickhead talking about people sheltering under my nose when it's rain and you know, and then people going, oh, you know your noses all right, I'm like, fucking no, it's not whatever. You know, it's all just fun. But we can't, you know, there's got to be there's got to be a pendulum swing, you know, And so too, even with personal development. Yeah, we want to think better, do better, be better. We want to make better decisions, you know, look after our health, optimize our da da da da da, live in line with our values and all that, of course, but also some days lie in the bed and watch Netflix do that, just fuck around, you know, just some days do nothing much, some days eat a bit of cake, some days have a beer. Like it doesn't We don't need to be these personal development robots on this constant linear improvement path because that's just one completely fucking unrealistic. And two, you know, like you've met and I've met people who are so obsessed with personal growth, that they've just developed a new addiction.
Speaker 1: Yes, yep.
Speaker 2: And in the middle of all of their growth and improvement and box ticking and T crossing and I dotting and to do lists, they're cunts and they're fucking miserable. It's like, have a fucking if you're boring mole fuck like full you know. Yeah, Oh, all right, let's talk about vulnerability, which is was going.
Speaker 1: To be about conversation yep.
Speaker 2: So I want to just introduce this. I've spoken about this, I don't know in six years, maybe four times, but a few people have asked me. And when I say a few people have asked me, I don't make that up right. I don't just say that because that's a nice lead in. But a few people have asked me if I could do a whole show on this. I'm not going to do a whole show on it, because I don't think it warrants it. But and there are very similar models to the one that I'm about to unpack and the one that I'm about to unpack. Sorry about the noise of the paper, because I'm about to write while I talk is very much just my version of my interpretation of my encounters with people from the observer point of view. That is me observing them and me watching them and me knowing them and me understanding them and interacting with them. So there's that the observer, and then there's from me the experience or the creator of my own experiences. And I think in a way, and I'm sure we could come up with many different models that kind of explain the same concept. But if we're speaking in metaphors, I think the metaphor is that we all have a door that kind of you know, in many situations we keep closed. That is, there's just me. Nobody's going to know this me. I'm keeping the door closed and there's only me on this side of the door. So I call that version of me secret me, the me that nobody gets to know but me. And then from there we open the door to varying degrees to reveal an amount of ourselves to the world. And you know how much we do that is really an individual thing. So let's start from the top down. We'll come back down to secret you. So at the top is what I call public you, and public you is and then I want to know where you sit on these tip and how wide you open the door and what that is based on for you. But public you is just the one that that's you. That's the you that everybody sees. That's the you at the supermarket that talks to the bloke or the lady who's doing the register if you do that, or the you know, the uber driver that you jump in or whatever. That's the one that there's no you know. I mean there's a filter, of course, but there's that's the you that you're happy for the world to see. And then then when we close the door a little bit, we get personal you. And personal you is the one that probably close friends and family, I reckon this could be five to twenty people get to know personal you, where they know stuff about you, they have insight into you, they have experience of you. They have a level of connection with you that most people don't have and most people don't have access to. So that could be a few people. You know. It's like I look at the Crab, my training partner, God bless him, and I reckon he's one of those people that there aren't too many because he's quite you know, the crab quite well, like he's a beautiful human being, but he's not the most vulnerably open or emotional. So I reckon in his personal kind of version of the personal version of him. There's maybe five people I reckon. I reckon I'm one of them. You know I might not be. I think I am. For me, I'll tell you about me after we hear about you. So public you, personal you, private you, private you. I reckon as generally one or two people. So private you could be your mum, It could be your dad, It could be your partner, brother, sister, It might be a few people. Often it's one or two. And then secret you, that's the behind the door you. That's the you that you don't want anyone to see for whatever reason. Secret you, and only you get to know that person, understand that person, and experience that version of you. And then a recent addition to this little kind of model is future you. And future you is the you that you aspire to be, the version of you that you would like to be for yourself, based on your values, your beliefs, your goals, your intention, what you would like your life to be, and also yourself for others like as my mum and dad get older and more vulnerable, there's a version of me that's emerging, and there's shit coming up. There's things happening that I realize, Oh I'm things that I've never had had to do or think about I now have to do and think about. And it's like it's almost like an emergent component to the totality of me, you know, because I've been a single bloke most of my you know, like in that well my whole life. I've been in relationships, but I've never been married. And and but now all of a sudden, I have parents who are becoming increasingly dependent on me for a range of needs, which is absolutely okay, And then you know, it becomes less of me and more of them, you know, So that moving forward, I want to be future me. I want to be that where as much as I can, for as long as I can, i am. I am basically making their life somewhere between, you know, okay and great. So that's it. So it's public you, personal you, private youth, secret you, and future you. And I just wonder like, what do you think or firstly, for you, Tiff, what do you think are the variables or the determining factors in terms of how wide you open the door with people?
Speaker 1: For me, It's evolved quite a lot over the over the years and over my life. And as soon as you started talking about this, I wrote down I saw this quote just within the last two days, and I loved it and it landed with me. And it's basically said, I'm healing out loud because my silence almost killed me.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, Wow, hang on, say that again. That's fucking great because fifty people are going to want to write that down. Say it again.
Speaker 1: I'm healing out loud because my silence nearly killed me.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And it's a version of I guess I've felt over the times, and I've had some subtle feedback at times of the stuff that I've openly shared online or that you know, the hard times, or that when I struggle and I stood by it because my version was I held a secret for thirty years, which created a persona. So as you've been talking about the version, the versions of you, my interpretation of that, I don't like it. I like to think of of them as part of us. We have these parts and experiences we might share. But I don't like calling them versions because it brings up that idea of the facade, like the Tiffany Cook that existed until she was thirty. It was a facade that had a secret she hadn't really dealt with. And so yeah, that's I.
Speaker 2: Think that's interesting. What makes you think you like, why do you think you were a facade? Why were you not just you but keeping an experience understandably hidden from the.
Speaker 1: World because shame and guilt.
Speaker 2: But that doesn't make you a facade like you weren't like you weren't a fraud. You were just authentic you who'd had an experience that you didn't want people to know about. I mean, and that's very understandable, right, Yeah, But I.
Speaker 1: Think on alongside of that, and maybe if we go deeper to that that experience was the consequence and not the cause. The cause was maybe my inability prior to that to have been in a circumstance at the time I needed to develop great intimacy and connection skills and relationship skills and communication skills, those things I just didn't really grasp rights, which left me vulnerable to having experience And for anyone that doesn't know what I'm referring to, that's childhood sexual abuse. So that's a consequence. So this, so I think, when, but what I would say about when we share, they're out secret us or riv at us openly. And I've had this conversation with a lot of people. Some I think that we need to be self aware and really understanding of where we are at when we share it, and that it's not a burden to others, but it is. It is a place of connection, understanding and inspiration. So I can say this happened to me, which is a heavy topic, but when it's said to people, they can go, oh, wow, me too. There's light at the end of my tunnel, or I'm not the only one, whereas there's sometimes people can be at the very beginning of their sharing and they're not healed and they're hurt and they're angry, and it lands with other people and there's this expectation that the other people they're not getting inspired. They're kind of having to hold this space and go what do we do with this? This is dark and heavy?
Speaker 2: Well you raise a really good point, and well a bunch of points, and thank you for being brave and sharing, and that is that. You know, sometimes opening the door isn't a good idea, right, It's like it's very you need to be and when I say you, I meant us the individual. We need to be ready. It needs to be for the right reason. It needs to be in the right moment, the right time, with the right person. You know. It's not something that you want to blurt out, you know. And I think like this is you know, we've spoken a few times, and we won't open the door too wide on that. But you know that Abigail Shreier, the author who wrote Bad Therapy, essentially, she wasn't saying that talk therapy is bad. She was saying that talk therapy isn't always the best thing for every person in every situation. And there might have been a time where I don't know where you might have opened the door, or you might have revealed that experience to the world or to someone and it might not have produced a good outcome. But you know, you don't know, do you. And it's like that's why I mean, this is a great conversation because I think it highlights the fact that there are no fucking absolute rules to this stuff. It's not like, oh, did you have this happen? All right? Here are the five steps? You know, you know, this is how you grieve, all right? There's a chart put it on the wall, you know, first seven days and then day eight to fourteen. It's like it doesn't It's like it's like the fucking food pyramid. It's like how do you get strong? It's like, well, who for whose body? Who's mind, Who's life, who's genetics? Whose experiences? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, And that's why I think like leaning in and feeling what you feel. But like you've spoken a lot about doctor Bill. Now I think hard of you, correct me, because I do not know and you do know. But I think part of the progress and the I guess the growth that's come through your work with him has been at least as much about just who he is as a person as the actual technique of therapy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you trust him and like him.
Speaker 1: Right exactly exactly, And it's someone to turn up and just you know, it's like anything. You turn up when it's hard, and you turn up when it's easy, and you turn up when it's hard, and you turn up when you need it. But for me, you turn up when you think you don't need it and you get even more out of it. Like it's a therapy is such an ongoing process, and I think it looks and feels very different for everyone. So I don't even think talk therapy is even the same like mine with different therapist self seen, they've been all very, very different. So you've really got to figure out I guess what and at different times, at different times you need to talk and sometimes you need to do some of those weird woo woo somatic get stuff out of your body. Do you deal with nervous system I reckon, I've still got a lot of somatic stuff to resolve, like where my nervous system sends me into an unconscious spin and then you can't talk therapy yourself out of that because because that just takes place, and then our little reason making machines in our head just go and tell a story. Hmm.
Speaker 2: It's so true. It's so true. How I remember years ago, Like I don't get anxious that much, but I remember years ago, I was doing a gig. It was a big gig. It was one of the biggest gigs I'd ever done to that point in time. It was about a thousand people, and I felt scared, yeah, yeah, and I felt nervous, and I was probably I don't know, it was probably ten years ago. And I mean not falling apart, but just like fucking shorter breath and like and sweaty hands, and I don't like I don't like it, so I have it only how we all have these little protocols and habits and rituals, right, So if I'm doing a gig, this is what happens. Like I've done the last couple of weeks a gig in conference centers where you go and generally they'll go, well, Craig, you're on at nine point thirty. We want you to Sometimes I'll say we want you to do a sound check at eight, which is quite silly because you walk in and go check one, two, and it's like anyone could have done that. The microphone's working, and so are the speakers. But anyway, I think it's because they like to make sure you're in town, you've arrived for the event. But I do that. But what I don't like is when, which is nobody's fault, it's just something I've got to deal with. Is when let's say you're talking at nine point thirty, So you get there and you walk in the back at nine point fifteen and Brian puts on a lapel mic and then you look down and you go, all right, well, I'm on in nine minutes. Cool, and then I go I'll be back in a second. I generally walk out of the room and I'll walk three hundred meter it is one way, three hundred meters the other way. Then I come back and I'm now I'm on in four minutes. But sometimes they just go on and on and on. So you're standing at the side anyway, I was meant to go on it, let's say nine point thirty, and at ten to ten, I'm still not on, and I'm just like, you can only peek.
Speaker 1: So I mean time, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm sitting against the side of the auditorium on a chair and I could just feel my heart rate in my neck. I could feel a pulse in my neck. I'm like, this is this is not optimal for fucking getting on stage and being hilarious and calm and connected. And you know. So I did some box breathing, and I know the theory of it, right, but I'd never because I'm like, yeah, I don't need box breathing. I'm Craig Arper. I'm a fucking you know, like I know, a complete fucking idiot. I know anyway. So I do five seconds in, five seconds, hold, five seconds out, five seconds hold. I do that for about ninety seconds, and I feel my whole body just calm down. I feel my heart rates slow, I feel my sympathetic nervous system just calm, calm the farm just kick in. I could you know, I mean, you don't know, but I literally felt the adrenaline. It feels like I felt the adrenaline just kind of disappear, and my whole emotional and psychological and physical state went from like elevated in a bad way to calm in a good way. So, yeah, you're right, there are some things that we can't just think our way out of in the moment. We need to do something to create that physiological shift in the moment. And whether or not that's box breathing or meditating or fucking you know, going and punching a heavy bag like you might for one minute, or lying on the floor and cuddling your dog. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you remind me of the first fight in twenty nineteen I had, so I'd had a two or three year break. First fight back in and I remember being and it was at Matthew Flinders Hotel. I still there and my opponent I get, I turn up and like my my coach, so he's like, you're you're fighting a NIX Comms game fighter. And I'm like, what, mate, bro, Like I had three years off, what are you doing? And like I never know whether to believe him. So he's amping me up anyway, He's doing all the things to pull on my strings. And then I get there and my opponent's changed anyway, so then it's I'm fighting a chick ten kilos heavier, all right, all right, whatever. But I remember being in this in the side room. I'd got I thought of my very first fight and I remember having like red jelly beans before get blood sugar, like, get ready. I'm in there and I'm psyching myself up. Do you reckon? Tiffany hook needs any psycing up already, So so I get in the ring, total adrenal dump. I was like, oh God, yes, so I've cooked it. I've cooked this. I've just burnt the motor out. It was such a I was like, that was a silly thing to do. You needed to calm down. The body was producing all the adrenaline and nor ap nephyn that you needed, and you've gone and jabbed more in there with your mind crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a whole area of intersection of psychology and physiology in sports science which is around arousal. This is no revelation to you. You're a boxer, but trying to find the right level of arousal for your sport, for your skill, for the skill that's required to be executed, and then also for the duration of the event. Like if your arousal is fifteen out of ten, you're about to have a ten round fight. Fucking good luck. You know. If you're a level of arousal is like one hundred meter Olympic finalist right in the on the track, so nine and nine point seven seconds of glory, but you're about to go and do a ten k run. Well, it ain't gonna work. Yeah, that's so what happened? Did you get?
Speaker 1: Did you know? I won the fight, but I felt very sloppy and out of I wasn't performing at my optimal performance. So I won the fight, but I was probably was one of the most disappointing outcomes for me, because I just I'd been performing so well in sparring and really I was really proud of that, and then just the stuff that you know, like little uncontrollable things that you're doing where you're like what hang on, well, what's going on here? Like your body kind of And that's what happens in somatic. This is when I talk about sematic stuff in therapy. This is what happens when you have a sematic response and you dissociate or you and then we're in a dissociated state. You agree to things, or you let things happen, or you behave in certain ways, and then you step away from that, look back and go the fuck have I doubt? Like why am I letting this happen? It's very it's like you against you. It's really confronting.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you something and feel free to say no and we can cut this out there? Go ahead, Well, can I ask you about how what happened to you and your childhood affects you now if it does, or how it's changed, and feel free to not answer that. But I feel like, you know, there'll be people listening to this who will want to know the answer to that question. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, I think one thing that it left me with that I think is still an unconscious association is that your body is your worth. And your body to someone else. It is that if that for close relationships and intimacy, you will something will be taken from you that you don't want to give. So there's this confrontation. It left me very compliant to other people's needs. So when I so, that's what I say. When like this level of dissociation, people pleasing someone asks, and even just in a work sense, leaves asks for something, I'm like yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, whatever, whatever whatever, until I walk away, And then that when the body relaxes, I'm out of that situation. I'm like, why did I agree? What do I agree to things that aren't the best for me. I've talked to doctor Bill about this. Children that experience that in childhood don't they often have the same experiences in adulthood because they don't their body. They don't understand red flags, they don't understand boundaries. Boxing was appealing to me because there's clear boundaries I can get in a ring. I know the rules. The rules are clear. I don't make the rules or set them so I can enforce them. In life, setting boundaries is really hard, and in adulthood, I've myself in situations that my mind boggles. I look back and go, how could you have not seen that that was going to happen and happening right under your nose? And it's confronting. So and as each experience happens, I think it has made me more and more have my walls up and fear. And so what it ends up is a lack of trust in self, which is really hard because when you don't trust yourself, I mean, you can't trust anybody because you're the one, You're the person.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about trust. So for you, obviously, I would imagine with more more so men than women, trust has been an issue and probably is still an issue, correct me if I fuck anything up? So how does trust work with you? Now? Is it something that just evolves where you you, as a byproduct of just being around someone or having interactions with someone, you end up just trusting them? Or is it a decision that you make to trust somebody or something else? So tell me about how you and it could be women or men, and it could it could be you know, business life, money, relationships, intimacy, anything. How does that work?
Speaker 1: I think there's layers to it. I think when excuse me, so let's use you and I as an example. So when I approached you to I did some of your workshops, you became a mentor to me. I really liked you. Seemed like somebody who I loved what you spoke about. I loved your authenticity, I loved your messages, and I connected with that and I was like, this, this is a good person. I want to be around him and learn from him. And then when you kind of accepted me in that world and said yep, you can come, and you know, I was doing some volunteering at your events, I was like, wow, how lucky. And there was this almost that validation of I'm so lucky. Oh wow, wow, you know. But then I think there's that unconscious awareness of why. And then when we worked together, I think that came up a lot. And I don't know how much you felt it, but I know that when we went from me just helping out to you're a part of the team and we'll pay you. Now, we'll pay you and you can you can do some work with us, Yes, there was a shift in me and I was like, what's this all about? But I found there was this layered expectation. What does he want from me? What does he want from me now he wants and I had this dichotomy of I am giving so much, I want to do so well, and then also he just wants to take what he's just going to want to take from me. You know, I've thought good people have come along before to be on my team, and they've really done bad things. So if I thought they were good people, maybe I'm thinking Harps as a good person and maybe it's not. What if I'm wrong? And I asked you once, maybe a year or two in do you trust when we were having a deep mail do you trust me? Do you trust me? And you said yes. I remember thinking, well, why why does he trust me? When because I knew, I still had walls up, and I'm like, why would you trust me when I know I'm hard to get to know and I'm not giving you and I'm being a little bit elusive at times. So that challenged me as well. And thank god you did trust me.
Speaker 2: I could see you, I could see you behind all that. Like I'm not trying to be too weird, but I could see you. I knew you. I still know you. I still know when you're grumpy, because you still get grumpy and sometimes you get grumpy at me, and it's okay because I know you the person apart from and I understand the grumpiness and I understand you know, is everything about you perfect? Know is everything about me perfect? Of course not right, but like for me, I don't need perfection. I need authenticity, and you know, for you, sometimes you like what I do like about you as you essentially go, I'm having come of a day. I don't know why, whereas most people would go, oh yeah, all good, all good, but I know it's not all good. So you're lying to you and you're lying to me. So just I'm having a shitty day, and I go, cool, okay, can I do anything? You're like nah, I'm like all right, Well, if you have a revelation and you need something miserable, prick, I'm over here, you know, So it's all good. Like this is the you know, like there's a couple of ways and this is going to say I've never said this ever. I've never said this to you either, So this is big, right, and it's not about it. It's just people might find an interesting. So there's you, the person that I even care about and know and want to succeed and like for me. You know how I said to you we're talking about recently. I think I said to you. I definitely said it on a podcast. It's like I used to say to my trainers, don't pretend to care, really care, like actually care. So I know that that for me to be really living in alignment with my values, I need to want you to do great as much as I want me to do great. Right, And that's not always easy because we are selfish and I'm selfish, But as much as I Craig Harper have the capacity to, I genuinely want you to succeed and thrive. And if that means that eventually you do way better than me, I still want that, right. So there's that there's that art where you you care about people, and I care about you. How your dad is? Like? You care about how my dad is? You know, how's your dad? Can I do anything? I'm like, how you know what's going on? How's you know? When you know when Coach passed away? You know that was fucking horrendous. I can't even imagine for you because you know she was your child, and then it hurt me to see you hurt. You know that, you know, like for me that tells me how much I care about you is that I didn't want to see you in pain like you know. So there's all that, and then there's the other, much more practical component, whereas I go, well, if I'm just being real, tif's pretty good at about twenty things that are of value to me. So there's a practical component, and it's like, I'm valuable to you too, Like I've helped be your brand, your currency, I've given you exposure that you wouldn't have got, blah blah blah blah blah. But at the same time, you've done all that and more for me, right, So this is the beauty of Like when people think that a strategic alliance can't coexist with an authentic friendship, it's not true. It's because on a practical level, you bring skills and attributes and qualities and talent to the you project that I do not have and Melissa doesn't have, but you have it. Melissa brings stuff that I don't have. I bring stuff that you too don't have. You know. So, But at the same time, in the middle of all of this collaboration and this synergy, can we be good humans? And the answer is yeah, you know, and it's like that, but like for me that I know we're getting deep now, but that truly walking the talk that like not just the shit that you say on a podcast, not just the you know, the public persona and the whatever and the you know, what are your values and I but actually, like when no one's looking doing that, that's hard. And if anyone says it's not hard, they're not doing it properly. Because it is so easy to be selfish and self centered. Yeah, you know, and that's that that for me, it's that having like what makes it easier for me is because I do genuinely have a purpose that is bigger than just me and that doesn't kind of go away that that purpose and those people and the needs. So you know, but how do you feel talking about this stuff publicly now? Because it would have terrified you ten years ago? I imagine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I love talk. I actually love talking about it now because it gives me clarity and it even hearing, Like sometimes I listen back. I was on someone else's podcast recently. I listened back yesterday and you know, he just took me into areas of it. It's just interesting to hear yourself talk about something. I think the power of hearing yourself you get a different perspective to sit and listen and go, oh yeah, right, yeah, that's different, that's interesting. I'm just such a big advocate for talking about your stuff, sharing it and in the right way obviously, But I don't know. I don't think we can grow without doing that, and I don't think we can connect. Like for someone who struggled with connection and being real and being open and being seen, I mean, that's my therapy, so I welcome it. And if for some people that looks like oversharing and being the center of attention, what I'd grapple with is because of that lack of trust and that independence and that self preservation, it leans me into feeling disconnected and selfish. So I want connection more than anything. I want collaboration, but that relationship with trust and it up against what's previously happened at times prevents that. So sometimes I feel both lonely and selfish, like you're a lone and selfish, that you're a self fulfilling prophecy. And I'm still trying to figure out how I really overcome that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well I think it's a it's a constant work. You know, it's an ongoing work. And you know, I look at your development and where you're at your age, and I've said this to you. You know, I'm twenty years nineteen years older than you, and I think you know, it's like you're especially because you know you've really only been doing this for five years, you know, like where you've been in this space of where you've really opened the self awareness door and changing your life and your thinking and habits and then influencing others and having a public platform, like in the context of my life, you've been doing it for five minutes and you're any very good, So you know, now speaking and very good. We started the show with a couple of promos. Don't forget everyone, Bendigo, Melwyn, Malula, bar Jumbo, go to my sidecocarba dot net. But Tiffany and Cook also is running a little kind of program that sounded condescending, a great, big, fucking, a huge program, fucking the program of programs. So if you want to get punched in the face or learn how to punch someone else in the face, tiff how do we do that?
Speaker 1: Ah, I'm running a four week boxing Masterclass series. There are two hour sessions on a Sunday and I'm partnering with Boxing Fit Port Melton. One of my friends just bought that place and she's doing some really great stuff at building Community, so I'm running it there on Sundays at eleven. Then typically, like I have in the past, we go out and hang out at a cafe and have lunch because I like people to build connection and really it's amazing. So and also so that starts on eighteenth for four Sundays in Port Melbow and next Sunday I'm going to do a free anyone can rock up and do it. Taste a one hour session at probably eleven thirty. So go to my website and send me an email or something if you want to come and just do a bit of a learning overview, connect, throw some punches, learn a bit of technique.
Speaker 2: It's fun or need someone in the balls, probably not that well done. You thank you for opening the door and for being surreal and raw, invulnerable and to you everybody, we appreciate you, We love you. Thank you for your supports, thank you for the feedback. If you're not a member of the You Project podcast facebook page, what.
Speaker 1: Are you doing, get around it?
Speaker 2: What are you doing? Quickly? Quickly, quickly, quickly, get over there. And also if you're not following me on instag come on Craig Anthony Harper, And if you're not following, if you're not following Tiffany and Cook, what are you? You've got about nine pages.
Speaker 1: Tiffany and Co. That's Tiffany with a Got Rolled with the Punches podcast. I've got Lunar and Bear lunar and we've got a lunar page. I've got a bar page. You've got a Luna and the Lunar and Bear page.
Speaker 2: You should have just gone with one. Thanks everyone,