Speaker 1: Coeps.
Speaker 2: Everyone's had the same as state of origin. We will hear looking at the game, we always look at little things, which is symbolic of the game itself. I reckon the first set from New South Wales is probably symbolic coming out of trouble and one of the back three, Zach Lomacs bit of footwork punches through and they just marched down the field. That was almost the tail of the tape.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I totally agree.
Speaker 3: When you play at Sunkle, particularly game one, the Queensland Jersey almost needs to bring the crowd into the contest, and the way you do that is through line speed. In your first three tackles, Lomax stops that crowd slightly by running over and through Harry Grant.
Speaker 1: And then this carry here was a thing that changes.
Speaker 3: I think finds Cherry Evans gets through his front and there's just a sense now that Queen's there on the back foot. Is only thirty seconds in the game. Yeah, and I think the intensity of the crowd having friends there sort of said it just sort of got sapped out. So the start that New South Wales provided through this set showed the direction they were going to go, And I thought one thing the Queen that lacked was the leg speed and line speed defensively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you just see that there. You know, it's amazing. You know we always talked about game of inters and that yardish is exactly that. You know they're coming together. Does New South Wales just push push that extra half meter or to Coeensland when and you see that at the back into that set what momentum does and a team then has to defend on their heels and depending on your heels, invariably you start making legs, tackles and things like that, and it just just multiplied. When we said last week, you know, in those really tight games and you know this coop as you know Bloke who was in charge of the attacking kicks and all the sides you played in, is that when a team is regularly in position for an attacking kick consistently near the team that's in control. And I think in the first ten minutes, I think Nathan had three attacking kicks. So it just showed you the dominance and yard each.
Speaker 3: And the other thing that will also pop the balloon a little bit for Queens and was I think Carrigan and Tino gave away a penalty like a little bit of high contact or just something that was look you could say to a gig could get away with it in Origin, but it just allowed New South Wales to get out.
Speaker 1: Because when you want the.
Speaker 3: Crowd on your side, when you want to bring that intensity aggression, the yardage line speed defensively is where you get it. And I thought New South Wales set the game up through to all.
Speaker 1: Lomax and paint ass. Yeah, Lomas pain ass.
Speaker 3: Then Nathan and Mitch Moses kick the ball where they wanted toez.
Speaker 2: Nathan's running game was good and that's crucial. That's crucial to Nathan because you know, for people to understand this, if you're if you're a playmaker, if you can start the game really attacking the line with your running game, then suddenly you've got they've got to be all they have to account for you and your run threat makes you a better ballplayer.
Speaker 3: I like that one from dummy half. You don't often see a half back from a kick return run from dummy half. It just shows that his mindset is I'm taking this game one and on the other side like this is really setting up his ball playing for later on the game. He did a good job for Stephen Crichton at one stage is they're setting up a try for Lomax.
Speaker 2: And that one that's the reward for the running in the fact that he feigns like I'm going to run and they squeeze.
Speaker 3: And Cherry Evans comes out of line, doesn't stop Moses, and that ends up being the difference for Toler to put that down.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen him do it as much this year, Nathan, but Coops. One of the things I love with Nathan is sometimes you'll get the ball and he'll actually pretend to be lost. You know, he'll get there, he'll go to the line, he'll slow and it's just all the conw and then you get back into two hands and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he used to do that sort of sometimes if you're having a center on the outball, like you stop as if the defense will stop, and then you catch them out with the slick pass.
Speaker 2: Coops talking about Queensland and little moments, the moment that I thought, now the game's lost for Queensland. It was fourteen six New South Wales Queensland. About twenty minutes ago. They're on the attack. It was a really poor set of six and I thought that this that set was probably symbolic of Queensland. And then months he rushed to kick off his left foot at Lomax. I think he diffuses it and all of a sudden New South Wales has got the penalty and at that point you really see that the air went out of the stadium.
Speaker 3: And when people put their hands up in the airlight, they don't know what's going on. That comes down to communication and that comes down to Munster and Cherry evens that kick there was a threatening kick, but Lomax was just on and they didn't have any continuity in the way they went. There was another set where they just scored after Xavier Coats and they ran the ball. If that scrum and Valentine Holmes got taken home to touch. I thought that was another turning point, like you don't get many opportunities in Origin and when you take it, you got to score points. And that ended up being a different big time.
Speaker 2: Coops the Queensland. There was a period in the first half we I thought queens looked really good going to the right, going to the right, and they were attacking the combination of Latrell and they were disconnected. You can see they were trying to work out their formula together and they were having a lot of success down that side, and then the second half coup the ball went completely the other way. I know Billy has a real thing with Lomax. He oftentimes attacks down Lomax's side, but it was strange. You're given the success you had in their first seas.
Speaker 3: This is the run from chair Evans I was referencing just before. That was a threatning run. But I think that's not necessarily going away from the right hand side. I think that's when the game's on the line. Months is the dominant voice right Monster would be saying, I want the ball, I want the ball on the ball. He's just multiple touches because he feels like he could do something. But if you analyze that game and you just saw a run from Nana on the inside shoulder of Latrell, Latrell got beaten on the outside. We're a pass from Cherry Evans. If Cherry Evans needs to stand up, if he's picked. But you're going to make Latrell make multiple decisions in a set, not just one. He'll make the right decision, but you need to make him make multiple decisions. I think that's an opportunity for Queensland and game too. Just find that disconnect slightly.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about the selections for game for game to and Perth and a second. But one of the big talking points in the game coop, and this is not me trying to be a smart ast anywhere, shape or form, but where do you stand on the spencer l and you kickoff? Which there has been a lot said about it.
Speaker 1: It's chicken on the egg right, look at it. It's a great vision.
Speaker 3: Like I love the fact that New South Wales forward goes to sun Corp and just wants to roll up the crowd.
Speaker 1: Look.
Speaker 3: Sometimes origin is a lot of little things that ends up being the result. And one of those little things is let's say Spencer, they kicked a spencer off the kickoff. Let's say Spencer comes back and skittles three Queensland defenders. Who's won that battle?
Speaker 1: Of course, right on the flip side.
Speaker 3: If Queensland go and pick him up and throw him six foot under the ground, that's where it sits. And Billy has sort of said that it was because Valentine Holmes was kicking off. Didn't want to be sure, but it's almost like if you're going to take him on, cut the snake's heads off and go off from type of things.
Speaker 2: So it was a victory. It's a victory for Spencer.
Speaker 3: End up being a little one. But ye if I was giving Billy advice, I'd be backing in Patrick Carrigan GINO line him up on him and kicked him first.
Speaker 2: TIF Sometimes it sounds stupid, but sometimes the smart things not the right thing.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's true.
Speaker 2: Performances.
Speaker 1: But in saying that, would you rather tackle Max Keing or Spencer nu.
Speaker 2: Max Kean? I know, w good points, good point performances.
Speaker 1: What's yours to New South Wales?
Speaker 2: Special mention to Mitch Barnett and Lea Martin. I thought those two blokes not having given as much credit as they deserve. But one point Isaiah. I thought it was one of his best ever State of Origin games. And he's just an intelligent player to get out there and realize that he didn't need to be pushing the ball around the park. He got Nathan and you've got Mitchell doing that. I thought he was tremendous. Two points to Zach Lomax. Coop in the last ten to fifteen years have you seen a player in prove as much in twelve months as zak Lomax. I can't. I was sitting there this morning. I can't think of anyone to.
Speaker 1: Put a Queensland analogy to it.
Speaker 3: It's almost like when Dane gag I first represent Queensland, when Valentine Holmes first represented Queensland.
Speaker 1: There's just an.
Speaker 3: Dramatic improvement in players when they either sink or swim at origin level, and sometimes when they catch fire, their confidence just takes them to another level.
Speaker 1: Zach was outstanding. He was simply outstanding.
Speaker 2: Three points. Of course pain has but also special mess. I forgot Reece Robson. Reece Robson. It's the most dangerous I've seen him getting out of dummy half.
Speaker 3: Don't often win the game in the first twenty minutes of origin, but geez, you can set it up and pain Hass through effort, intensity, care factor and all those carries. Like if you were to get quite analytical right now, pain Haass gets tackled two or three off the kickoff and he goes right foot across and he finds a soft defender in Cherry Evans. Number one is get up in front and don't let him skip.
Speaker 1: Across your three two ones.
Speaker 3: I can't go too far off what you said. I thought paying Hars and Lomax were this close from being best player on the field. I'm going to give Clary a big rap. I thought he was gone. He controlled that game, and I love the fact he set up that try for Lomax. Stephen Crichton carry the ball the set before and ran over the top of Hamisot Tabio fido, and then the next set they get back, he goes to the same field position, sets up a play, but this time Crichton's running the lead runner inside shoulder on Hammer and he throws a little double pump and Hammer just bites because he's thinks thinking that Krchton's going to run out of the top of him, plays out the back Edward sets up limacks.
Speaker 1: I thought that was very intelligent.
Speaker 2: There's been a bit of criticism about the game people. I think some of it's been the top third. People say, oh, it's the worst storaging out they've ever seen. No I take exception at that. I reckon Game two could be one of the great origins as in New southp I have no doubt whatsoever Game two monster be nine out of ten, Harry Green will be nine out of ten, Dally Cherry Evans and I reckon, I reckon. Billy will pick him because, in my opinion, you always give a champion an opportunity to redeem himself. I think this will be one of the great games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. I think they're not going to miss the start this time around. And for what it's worth, there's a lot of talk like Queensland could win Game two with Cherry Evans at halfback and they could win it with Tom Dinton. They're both good players and it's about what they got wrong in the first game to win Game two.
Speaker 1: But if I'm Billy, I'm having.
Speaker 3: A face to face coffee with Daily and I'm asking him how do you feel about Game two?
Speaker 1: I'm saying, what does this mean to you? Can you deliver for your state this one?
Speaker 3: If I'm Billy and I walk away thinking he's my captain halfback, I'm picking him if I feel like he's probably not there and hesitant, just a gut feel probably going Tom didn't. But there's only one person makes his decision and that's Billy, and I would be backing in hanging up the queens and Jersey in front of Daily one more time and saying have you got it?
Speaker 1: And I think the answer is yes.
Speaker 2: Well I think I think I don't think Billy had to ask the question, or he doesn't have to ask you. I think the response from Dali against the Broncos the other I think it says.
Speaker 1: He was great about the Broncos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell me, I don't know. I don't know. I you know. I saw them down at Manly on the Friday and they're really they're chipper, They're up and about and I thought, okay, you know, and I certainly didn't expect what happened the following night.
Speaker 3: Well, if you were to put your coaches hat on, what what what do you think is holding back to Broncos Because we have seen the best of the Broncos and we've seen the worst and they're not that bad with that talent they've got that.
Speaker 1: They can't be where they are at the moment. So if you were coaching, what would you do? What do you think the fix is?
Speaker 2: Well, Cooper, I'll state the obvious. Where they're at at the moment. I think a lot of its attitude right, and the temptation is sometimes you sit there and go what are the things we're going to do? And oftentimes you always we look at what we're doing with the football. If I'm mad je I'm probably sitting there this week and pull them a senior players in and say, rah, how do we win one nill?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. I'm thinking, how do we win one nil? How about we do less with the football? How about we just get into the grind and we just majure on kickchase and you know.
Speaker 3: Because I think what they're trying to do is trying to bring in all their weapons and have this great play that blows teams out of the water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're just trying to work for that every time.
Speaker 3: If they get their mindset right defensively, like if I do all the hard things that it takes in a game of football and we all have that mindset, they will win games football. But at the moment, it feels like you just do that, get me there and then I'm going to set up this big play We're going to score on the cor coops.
Speaker 2: I reckon when you go into a game, right, there's there's two skills of thought. If we go into a game, we say what we're going to do coops. We're going to try to win this game fifty No, we're going to blame the part. And then alternately you look at and say, right A, coops is what going to do. We're going to dig in and if we're to win this game by one nil, we're going to win one nil. I can guarantee you the attitude to win one nil you score more points than trying to score fifty.
Speaker 3: And that is a perfect example, because I think if they do the two nil mindset, they are a good team.
Speaker 1: They end up probably winning fifty nil.
Speaker 3: That's because it's like we've always said since nineteen o eight, if you double down on your defense for some reason, helps your attack, but if you're attack minded, it doesn't help your defense at all. And it's a big game for the Bronx. Yeah, Reynold's three hundred hundred potentially Wolf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just too good a side. Coops too.
Speaker 1: I feel for I.
Speaker 3: Feel for Payne Arson, Patrick Carrigan a little bit like they go out on Wednesday night and they spill everything they have for their states, and they came back up again and they do it again, and they're just not getting the response. I think a bit comes down to Adam Reynolds, like just bringing that team together a bit like a bit like Fog he has been doing for the Raiders. Like the Raiders have a very hard nosed, full pack. They've got super exciting outside backs. But the key part of that is Jamal Fogue together and I think a little bit of.
Speaker 1: Reynolds for that.
Speaker 2: Pain hasse There is talk that he will test the open market. Well, he's coming off contract. His managers alerted clubs. That's what managed. That's his job.
Speaker 1: There is not a dollar sign that you would not give pain us if you're one of the new teams.
Speaker 2: I asked the boys last night, do you reckon Payne? Has is a chance with that? You know, we're going to see slowy caps starting to come in go up as new sites coming in the competition. Doregon needs a chance to be in the first two million dollar player.
Speaker 3: Like you could mount a case for it, like right now, if you're starting up the new franchise and everyone is available, like pain ass is in the conversation with Cameron Munster, Kaylin Ponger and Nathan Cleary, like he is right there alongside them. He's one of the very few front rowers who can win a game. He can win a game with the carries in the effort that he does, and he's a good example of a pro. Like when you're setting up a franchise, it's almost like your first signing is the bear of the culture. But the first signing is the one through the door that says, Okay, if we are going to set up who we are, it's because of this guy.
Speaker 2: I mean, Perth Bears, mate, as far as pain is concerned. And the other one, Mate, I'm telling you cops, P and G. If P and G come into the competition. Let's say, for instance, and tax free money, you go to paint and say, mate, one point eight tax free. It's a lot to think about.
Speaker 1: That include Harve's consultants deal.
Speaker 2: Yes, it does, it does?
Speaker 1: It does?
Speaker 2: I mean Jerry? Now, mate, let's talk about Markey signings right owen And the one I want to talk about first of all, Cooper's the Melbourne Storm. You're our club because I remember I spoke to Chris Anderson about this and a lot of my Newcastle mates were in those early Melbourne Storm sides, and he said, Chris Andersons said to John Rueba when they're putting the looking to put the side together. You know, he said, just get me a great front rower and a great half back and I'll win your comp Laza may get much better than that right in the later years, but mate, just presence, intimidation, leadership, knows how to win. And Bret Camorley the other early in his career, but he's gone that way me and mileson now and won it in the second year. And the other one that was crucial as well was to our Nick out, I mean two hour Nick hou. He brings. He brings winning attitude, the blakes of warrior and just a motion. I look back, it's such a shame he signed with the Knights going into the ninety five season and then he was a cow Yeah, Nick, and he was over in Castleford and he just wasn't ready for the change and we led him out of his contract. Oh man, I'd love to play alongside him. What I felt now some of the market he signings. Let's go back, say we'll start eighty eight and in eighty eight you had the Broncos, the Newcastle Knights and the Tweed Seagulls which now have eventually evolved into the Gold coast of sorts. So the Broncos their markets signing Surprise, Suprise, Wally Lewis. I'll talk to Wally. You know it's amazing. Sorry, I haven't Madge around a couple of years ago. He told me, those unbelievable years at winning, when they're winning everything, he basically didn't get a cent he said, I earned, he said, those years in the QRL. He said, I just basically earned no money through those years. How that can happen, I don't know. Towyd's sea goals. They signed Ronnie Gibbs, profile and toughness and the Knights. The Knights expend in ure. The money they spent in that first year on the entire squad was ninety thousand dollars right, and they signed Adrian Shelford for Wigan for thirty five. So what they did they went around, They hunted around and they just signed Blakes with the two series Plenty of Tomorrows and tough and the bloke who one of their major signs, This major signing with Sammy Stewart, terrific bloke, great ambassador of the club. He was the Kiwi captain Gatzi and he was tough, the biggest year of expansion was ninety five coups and they made the decision ninety two are going to bring in the Perth Western reds Auckland Warriors, North Queensland Cowboys and the Southeast Queensland Crushes. Western Red signed Brad McKay. Brad mckaye was again great ambassador, great guy on the field, really quality person, New South Wales and Australian Locke winner, experienced Clove Churchill medalists. He brought a lot. Warriors brought Brandy you know that. They went there and they went after a great Grete seven and Greg Alexander again a winner profile. Cowboys went different. Cowboys went Larry Spooner. Now Laurie had been a very very good player at Cronulla East and he was an in isfrail boy and it was almost the connection to the community which was important and this is interesting Southeastqueensland Crushes. Their big signing was Garrick Morgan. Now Garrick Morgan at the time was considered one of the best rugby union players in big boy massive, in fact too big as it turns out, but he was there. He was there signing. Only played a couple of games. As I said, before you know, he was just too big for the sport. But that that was the signing for them. But they just showed the importance and getting that markets signing and the first guy.
Speaker 3: And you need to get it right. All the examples that you just went through. When you get those first few signings right, plants a seed for what comes next. If you get it wrong, then there might be some challenges down the track.
Speaker 2: I'll give you three and a half a million dollars, right, give me the two players you sign.
Speaker 1: Paying ass.
Speaker 3: And you probably you probably need someone with something like a I'll probably take months or Klon Pomer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you probably would pretty decent combinations.
Speaker 1: Three thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Well, but let's you know, let's think about that for a second. Coops, let's go for the model. I mean the Melbourne Storm. You blokes had had that model in the fact that you had a few of you blokes that were really hot, and then Billy Ak went out around you guys and sign blokes like Brian Murray who would just do whatever it took and just got the job done.
Speaker 3: And that's the person who sets that up because it's almost character over talent, right, Like if you if your your pillars are front rower, half back, in a fullback for example, then everything else in around that needs to be character driven, not talent driven, because the talent is in the three and they are going to inspire everyone else to.
Speaker 1: Do their things. So some big decisions for recruiters and players the next two years.
Speaker 2: Lucky Galvin Coop his career as a bulldog has begun. I'll ask you a question, right, so he would have walked into training today, first date school walking as he's about to walk through the gates. What advice would you give him?
Speaker 1: Well, my advice would have got to him before he walked in the gate. Trains start at six.
Speaker 3: Would have told him to get there at five train and finished at six pm when I said leave at seven, and I would have told him to go get Terry Lamb's number and sit down and have a coffee with him and ask him what it means to be a bulldog. That's what I would have done, because I don't know Galvin. There's so much noise around it. That club has a history in a DNA and if there's one thing that he needs to do, he needs to understand what the bulldogs are. He can bring his talent to, but if he doesn't understand what's gone before him and what's expected of him in a Blue Bulldog's jersey, that is one thing that I would advise him.
Speaker 1: And the other thing too is.
Speaker 3: He needs to almost park his a chair at the cafe and just get relationships with the players coming first. Don't just go there and start chipping and chasing that training Stephen Crichton, Connor Tracy like kick you out, like just coffee, have five or six coffees in the first year, couple of ours that you're there, and just get that relationship.
Speaker 1: Because the kid can play.
Speaker 3: No one's denying that, but he needs to build relationships because if he just comes in expecting to run the show with chip and chasers, and I've seen by the way that he plays, he doesn't think about the game in its context.
Speaker 1: He just thinks about the then and the now.
Speaker 3: So if he comes up with the couple of players early on that's in then in the now is not the team thing that's questionable.
Speaker 2: Whenever I think of a Bulldogs player coup He's got a lot of those attributes. So I think of the Bulldogs in the late eighties and into the nineties, guys like playing as like Jimmy Dimmick and Chase of Smith and Terry Lamb. For me, what a Bulldog's player is if you to encapsulate a Bulldogs player and a Bulldogs playmaker is that number one is tough. Number two a player who is more likely who is more comfortable to play shortball or play through a line than around the fence. That for me, when I look when I think about Bulldogs great playmakers from the Bulldogs, that's the sort of player I see.
Speaker 1: And did you do you still think he should start on the bench? Look?
Speaker 2: I would, I would. I would ease him in off the bench. I would. It would not surprise me if bally Hayward plays nine this week, that would not surprise me. And they brought him off and he took bally Hayward's role and come on as in a fourteen tight role. But I I just sit in there. Then. I was just thinking about young Jamie Humphries right, and I interviewed him about six weeks ago, and I asked him about going to South's right, very similar situation. I spos Likey Galvin and I said, what was it like walking into that training session for the first time. You got Wayne Bennett, got Cody, You've got Latrell, You've got Jack White and all these big figures. He said, I was terrified, and I said, well, right, the first training sets. The really important thing is first impressions are so important. Tell me that first training session. And it just shows you the importance of that first impression in the fact that Jamie went in and they said right up with a one point four one point five plong the time trial, which awakes you. He had a strain to kill his TANDD and just went ohn and he said, I felt like I was going to tear it, he said, but I had no choice. And he said I ran it. I ran it well afterwards, like a barely walker, and Way went up give him a pat in the back and said, well done, Now go get that thing right.
Speaker 3: It's why I just feel like there's something that Lachlan Galvin needs to earn, right. There's just something there that he is going to be a long term playing out game. He will probably play at the Bulldogs for a long time. If he's got the work ethic, he could probably play seven at some stage in his career.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: But there's something that says to me that he needs to earn it, not just arrive on the front door and say that's mine because I'm here.
Speaker 1: To collect it.
Speaker 3: And a little bit that I've said that you're playing reserve grown that if he balks at that, that's the red flag.
Speaker 1: If he says, yep, give it to me, I'll do it. I think you're going to be a part of this club for a long times. Just a bit of an attitude, just trying to suss out where is that coops.
Speaker 2: I don't get. I don't get. I have zero interest in the politics of the support boardrooms, executives, player agents. It just bores me to tears. Right, what's done is done now right, it's happened. The West Tigers golf feel dudded. I totally get that the Bulldogs fans will be overjoyed. Totally understand that. I don't know Locky well, right, I do not know. I only meany he only come onto the show once. But I know enough about people to know the deep down, he's a good kid and there's been people pulling him in every direction in all this, and he's just still a young bloke. So I don't think. I don't think they'll have any problem with his attitude and whatnot is a little bit cock. Sure, maybe you know, but that's what a lot of young guys are.
Speaker 1: It's almost like, what do I need to do for the team? What can I do for you? Like those questions as opposed to you do this for me, tom Thing, go on your cob