Speaker 1: Welcome to the Late Debate.
Speaker 2: Good evening and welcome to the program. I'm Caleb Bond with Liz Storer and Joe Hildebrand. Well, Christmas has been saved at one Melbourne council that shunned it for the past two years.
Speaker 1: Do we finally have a win against the woke? Let's hope.
Speaker 2: So in the papers we'll get into the extraordinary amount of money the Queensland Miles government is spending on infrastructure to try and win your vote. You will be astonished. This amount of money could send you to the moon, would you believe it? And apparently transgender people are operating on a different form of time. We'll get into that a little bit later. But first, the fertility rate, which we talked about earlier in the week in Australia is currently one point six children per women, which means that we are below the replacement rate, which is two point one children per women. Well, it's even worse in Japan, where they have this week recorded the lower ever fertility rate, which is one point three children per women. So the Tokyo City Council has come up with a novel idea. They are starting a dating app to try and encourage people in Japan too well hook up and have children. If you have a look at the numbers, it is quite stark.
Speaker 1: In Japan right now.
Speaker 2: If you look at marriages, for instance, between twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three, you had five hundred and nineteen thousand marriages in twenty twenty two. That was down to four hundred and eighty nine thousand in twenty twenty three. Meanwhile, deaths were up for one million, five hundred eighty two thousand to one million, five hundred and ninety and berths were down from seven hundred and ninety nine thousand to seven hundred and fifty eight. Meanwhile, divorces were also up from one hundred and eighty three thousand to one hundred and eighty seven. So you have a very clear problem here. It's much the same as Australia. If you want the population to keep growing, and that of course is how you keep the economy growing, you need to import people. So they've said, well, bugger that, we're just going to get people to get married.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know whether I would particularly want to use a government issued dating app. I mean, I don't really want the government involved in my dating life to be perfectly honest, and there are rumors that are yet to be confirmed, but apparently in Japan, when you go on a dating app, it's quite customary to tell them what your income is, and there are rumors that you'll have to sign a document to say that you are legally single, and you'll even have to provide your tax return to prove.
Speaker 1: What your income is.
Speaker 2: But what an interesting idea is that the local council is so worried about the fact that people are not getting married and having kids that they are starting their own dating app that can we do it here?
Speaker 3: They're taking this seriously as they should. In fact, when you look at the different policies that different countries have to promote marriage, to promote families, Australia it just seems to be nowhere. We can see similar happening in our own demographics. It's been happening for a very long time and we've simply done nothing.
Speaker 4: If you look at Hungary, those guys you get a.
Speaker 3: Twenty five percent reduction in your income tax ladies for every single child you have. Therefore, if you have four children, no income tax for the rest of your life. Finland and Sweden you get an allowance, a monthly allowance for every single child you have until that child turns sixteen. Then the allowance gets turned off. Singapore have similar to our baby bonus, eleven thousand dollars for each kid you have, unless it's the third child, then it goes.
Speaker 4: Up and it's thirteen thousand.
Speaker 2: They needed in Singapore because they've actually got a lower fertility rate than Japan.
Speaker 3: Indeed, but at least these governments are just like, okay, how can we encourage and promote marriage, have kids, families?
Speaker 4: And they're putting in place policies.
Speaker 3: Even really creative ones like this. Obviously it's not a policy, but they're doing what they can to facilitate that. And I'm constantly ripping my hair out that Australia just seems to be watching it happen year.
Speaker 4: In year out, decade in decade out.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: It was back in two thousand that at that time it was the lowest fertility rate on record for Australia ever, at one point seven, and the Howard government was like, right, baby bonus.
Speaker 4: The very next year they.
Speaker 3: Got those stats and they were like, we've got to do something. Our governments, successive governments have simply just gone, oh well, we'll import that's it. We'll just rely on immigration. That is no way to keep a country up and running.
Speaker 1: You I love it.
Speaker 6: Obsessed with this story. I just cannot get enough of it. I walked into as you know, I'm a stickler for preparation before a show.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I've seen you doing.
Speaker 6: And so the one thing I brought into the budget lockup, I brought nothing else in except for an article I found on the Wall Street Journal through several weeks ago that was this amazing feature about this whole deep dive into the declining fertility rates all over the world. So it's not just a japan thing like you said, It's not just an Australia think. It's happening everywhere across the entire Western world and developing countries too. And I thought, this is it. I'm going to thread the needle. I've just nailed it. I know what is going to put in the But there's going to be a baby bonus. I'm convinced, and I've got it right in my hand. All I need, anyway, needs to say there was no baby boner, absolutely nothing to write about, but it is true. We need to do something you cannot run an economy, and you cannot more importantly, pay for old people. We've got aging population and China's about to find this out in a really big way as well.
Speaker 1: So that's what they dropped the exactly right.
Speaker 3: Some of their provinces also have I would have thought that China would be the last country to be like, we're worried about I'm like, you had the one child policy for ages, and now you're worried about your fertility rate. But some of their provinces they also have either baby bonus type type policies up and running or similar.
Speaker 4: So I was shocked to know that's right.
Speaker 6: And it's again, it's a it's a it's a product of people applying these policies and not actually thinking them through, not actually thinking what the long I mean. Obviously communist China doesn't understand economics in the first place, but not actually thinking about what this will happen. And this is why I love what the Japanese are doing. I'm not entirely sure if it's going to work.
Speaker 7: You will sit the directive, you will have most honorable and economically viable marriage for greatness of Japan, or a couple so you know whether or not that will get the juices flowing.
Speaker 2: Hey, you want to hook up because the mayor said we should do it, I mean light of all time.
Speaker 6: Look, I know you think I'm probably a seven and you're probably a nine. To look at the mayor said.
Speaker 1: We have.
Speaker 5: I mean, I can think of worse pick up life. But you're absolutely right.
Speaker 6: And Peter Costello did come up with the baby blonness who famously said have one from one for data and one for the country.
Speaker 5: Look at him now, isn't he doing well?
Speaker 1: He's not going to I can't do that a little later in the show, but I am.
Speaker 5: Look.
Speaker 2: The one thing that does slightly worry me about this is that it's like a dating app set up by the state. Sure, and it's like, okay, it's one thing to have, you know, Tinder and Bumble and all these things. Now you've got government setting up dating apps I mean.
Speaker 1: Data.
Speaker 3: I think this would appeal to some though, and potentially particularly of the Japanese persuasion, because a lot of people get gas.
Speaker 4: Lit on these apps.
Speaker 3: They meet real roagues, people turn out to be nothing like what they've claimed to be, and there's a long and painful process while you're seeing this person define that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, Joe, what are you doing? Just get off the apps? But doing it this way.
Speaker 3: If you're on a government app, if people have had to prove how much they're earning, et cetera, and so on, people would be like, well, actually, the profiles I'm flicking through have been given the green light by the government. They've been vetted by the government. This person is who, they.
Speaker 4: Say, that would be the I'm the last.
Speaker 3: Person to be like, yeah, give your in vote to the government. But in this respect, I think people in terms of a dating app could actually find peace of mind with regard to that.
Speaker 2: Can I just say I've just received a text from someone asking if they can see my text?
Speaker 1: No, no, no strange.
Speaker 4: Way to ask him out.
Speaker 3: But I do know whose accountant I can put you in touch, So maybe hit me up if he's not forthcoming with the reply.
Speaker 5: Only fans account.
Speaker 2: Okay, career anyway, please know.
Speaker 3: So two New York now where the NYPD is saying we're going to take Trump's gun license off m because he's creatively renamed a few debits in his account while funneling hush money money. We've all yeah, well, if you're Joe, you've all done it.
Speaker 4: So now what this guy's.
Speaker 3: Too dangerous with a concealed weapon. His gun license was suspended back in April of last year when these proceedings came underway. But again, I just think this is part of the demonization of Trump that people are now reading this going, oh, he's so unsafe he can't even carry a concealed weapon anymore. Let any connection between what he's been y convicted.
Speaker 6: With anything that the trial and conviction has shined that Donald Trump, for all his faults, is incredibly good at concealing themes.
Speaker 5: Why not get a concealed weapon's life?
Speaker 2: Well, maybe maybe the problem, Maybe maybe the problem was that when he met Stormy Daniels, Stormy Daniels said to him, is that a gun in your pocket?
Speaker 1: Or are you just happy to see me?
Speaker 2: But you see, but you see that he does have a leg up in more ways than mine in this case. Obviously he has the Secret Service, right, so of all the people in the world who needs a concealed carry, he's probably not one of them, because at all comes he does have.
Speaker 3: Fascinated presidents also had Secret Service, and we.
Speaker 4: All know how I don't know your joke.
Speaker 6: I know where to be firing. Where would he be firing? Live that the book, that's the question.
Speaker 5: You know where to look.
Speaker 2: But it is ridiculous though, I mean seriously, does anyone seriously believe it? And again it's just a free kick for Trump because it takes it to an extreme that is so ridiculous. There's no one walking around. And I know Trump once said that he could shoot someone in the middle of the street and he wouldn't lose any votes, and at the time it was probably true.
Speaker 1: I think it was January twenty sixteen that he said that.
Speaker 2: Indeed, But does anyone seriously believe that Trump carrying a concealed weapon is a danger to anybody. It's not like he was convicted of murder. He hasn't been convicted of rape. He hasn't been convicted of any other violent crime. He hasn't been convicted of robbery. All he's been convicted of some is some trumped up pardon the pun chargers that turned a misdemeanor into a felony on the basis that it supposedly influenced the election, which it didn't. And now he can't have a gun because it's it's not a danger to anyone. And it's like all the stuff you've been talking about, a wager. It just makes people look at it and go like, for heaven's sake, but how hard can you go on this phone?
Speaker 6: But at least now he's got something in common with Hunter Biden. Indeed, to go for a fan to together died Cocar, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, and maybe a little bite to eat of KFC, which we know that President Trump enjoys. One thing you're not allowed to enjoy anymore, of course, his fossil fuels. You can't put petrol in your car and listen to it go room from that's bad. Gotta drive and eva instead. You can't even have a gas cooker at home, You've got to use electric.
Speaker 1: We know what they're trying.
Speaker 5: To do to us.
Speaker 2: Well, the Secretary General of the UN was giving a speech last night and he's gone one step further.
Speaker 1: He has come up with the greatest idea in.
Speaker 2: The world to stop the proliferation of fossil fuels, to stop you putting fuel in your car, to stop you burning coal, to turn the lights on, to stop you using your gas stovetop. Apparently, if we take away advertisements, the world will be fine, and.
Speaker 8: I adge news media and tech companies to stop taking fossil fuel advertising. We must all deal also with the demand side. All of us can make a difference by embracing clean technologies, facing down fossil fuels, you know, our own lives, and using our power to citizens to push for systemic change.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's really gonna fix things.
Speaker 2: Look, I don't know if Antonio Guti's is really across how fossil fuels work. But you know, when I'm driving into the studio and I look down and it says in the car that I've got sixty kilometers left to go on the fuel tank, I usually just pull into a servo that has reasonably cheap fuel and fill it up. I'm not particularly influenced by advertisements or when I turn on the lights when I get home, I don't stop. First thing, Did I see a cad Tonight's encouraging me to turn No, you have to consume this stuff to begin with. What he really wants to happen is to punish fossil fuel companies by saying we're not going to take your ads again. On that metric, he falls over because if every media company, every billboard company, and every sporting club in the world said we're not going to take your ads, We're not going to take your sponsorship. All it would meet is that the fossil fuel companies would actually have more money in the bank because they haven't been spending it on advertisements, and that's money that they can then invest in, I don't know, drilling for oil or opening up coal mines. Is that what you want Antonio Gutari's you actually want more money in the hands of the fossil fuel companies. How does he think any of this is actually going to work.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I really don't understand it because the only I mean, the only types of advertising I can think of is when you have things like the Mineral's council saying how good mining is for his society. Right, he's not really he's not really saying that because he's saying it's like tobacco advertising. So it's like, you know, I could really use a whatever it is. You know, I'm going to ride my horse and smoke a Marlboro and then suddenly I'll get a girlfriend.
Speaker 1: They should try that in Tokyo.
Speaker 3: It probably would though if you were smoking while riding a horse.
Speaker 6: I've got to say, yeah, well I used to I used to. Well I never used to ride the horse, but the other things used to work pretty well. But again, I just don't understand, like people are going to like, is there an ad out there saying have you used up all your fossil fueled electricity today? Why not go home and turn the lights on? Like, I just don't like. It just makes no sense to me. And then you have electricity providers. Obviously they will advertise with each other, and they will often compete and ring up and has to and get you to change providers. Now they usually will have a mix of renewable and coal fired power. How much are they allowed to advertise? Are they just allowed to have little half sized advertisements or does it rely on like where the grid's at, So when the sun shining and the wind's blowing and more renewables are going into the grid, their advertisements are allowed to become bigger. And then when the sun goes down and stuff the advertised has to shrink. It's just this sort of mindless clap track. It doesn't seem to be founded in anything.
Speaker 3: That's what he's known for, right, this guy's middle name is hysteria. I mean, in this speech he called these companies the godfather I'm a chaos who had deceived the public for debt aids and he's now exposing them. Remember this from last year when he told us that the age of global boiling had arrived.
Speaker 9: Climate change is here, it is terrifying, and it is just the beginning. The era of global warming has ended, the idea, the heater of global boiling has arrived, and still.
Speaker 3: Not a word of condemnation to either China or India, your biggest emitters made. So how about you just talk to the guilty parties instead of Australia crucifying our prosperity day in, day out, to chip away at our measly one point three percent of global emissions.
Speaker 4: It's just embarrassing.
Speaker 6: In his defense, though, the Godfathers of climate chaos is an awesome name for a rock and roll back.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say that I reconnect.
Speaker 6: If sang that song with a guitar, weior smoking a marlb, if we going to be lining up.
Speaker 3: If we start a scar at the point of everything for you, Joe.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, but if we start a sky new Staff band, and Liz can do the singing because she can sing.
Speaker 4: I'm not that kind of singing.
Speaker 1: Well, you can give it again.
Speaker 2: I'm utterly useless of everything. But let's call it the Godfather's a climate chaos. But I remember a few years ago and when I was covering councils, there was a council in Adelaide, Mitcham Council, and one of the councilors put up emotion which was essentially along these lines where she wanted any sort of advertisement or sponsorship to do with fossil fuels, so like a local service station or something to be banned from sporting grounds, so like the local footy club wouldn't be able to have a sign up on the fence at the footy oval, saying you know, Joe.
Speaker 1: Blog Servo is a sponsor of this club.
Speaker 2: And what that essentially means is that you want to do local outfits like football clubs out of the opportunity to create. So we say we're going to do great things for the world by getting rid of advertisements for fossil fuels. But the reality is is that you're depriving you know, small media outfits or small local clubs or whatever from the opportunity to make a little bit of money that does good for the community because they have to have something to do with coal or Wales.
Speaker 3: But some of this is working right because there was only a few weeks ago that we were talking about how the Walkley Awards, yes, had kicked out one of their platinum sponsors Ampole, for being Ampole.
Speaker 5: And we're no founder of the Walkley.
Speaker 3: You're like, no, no, we should not be associated. And yes, like you said at the time, Caleb.
Speaker 4: One of their founders was an Ampole.
Speaker 6: Mister Walkley founded Ampole fossil Field Walkley, we used to call them, and again it is it is outraged. That's why I preferred associated with the Kennedy Awards these days.
Speaker 1: It's much more fun. Chris named after Chris Kenny.
Speaker 6: You know, Let's Kennedy, the late great Les Kennedy who wrote a lot of fantastic stories but actually told more fantastic stories to you at the pub the night before they were due to run, which they often didn't. But again, that's the kind of journal I'd rather hang out with rather than the holy than now Walkley humorless cartoonists. But one announcement I wanted to bring to your attention is one that you would not otherwise hear about thanks to the impending ruling by the UN Secretary General, and that is Victoria has approved its first gas project.
Speaker 5: In a decade.
Speaker 6: This is amazing, Yes, rejoice, oh nine News, fantastic outlet. This is the first gas project that Victoria. And we'll get into exactly how amazingly funny this is not just because it's nine News talking about things blowing up.
Speaker 5: But let's have a listen to what the new premieres into.
Speaker 10: Allen had to say, that's the first production license application that the government has received since twenty and fourteen, so that itself speaks to the industry understanding that the resource that was once there in terms of the gas resource, is not there into the future.
Speaker 6: Okay, let's just try to channel just industry years ago.
Speaker 1: Pack that for me.
Speaker 6: She has announced the new gas project, the first in ten years, ever so reluctantly, because the fact that it's the first application from the private sector in ten years means that the government was right not to have any new gas project until now, but also right to approve this gas project now, even though let me just check my notes, all gas is now banned in new Victorian residential dwellings under this same government. So they are actually opening up a gas field to mind gas pump at god knows where, I don't know. Made it's on a new South Wales will take it, thank you very much, and not actually allowing their own citizens have brought new homes to use it. Which this is literally cooked, although of course not cooked with gas, because that's bad.
Speaker 3: Which is why she was very quick to assure Victorians of this is going to make up as such a measily amount of the power generation in our state anyway, don't even worry about it.
Speaker 10: By twenty thirty five, gas will be part of that final five percent. That final five percent, but let's be clear, ninety five percent of Victoria's energy will come from renewable energy sources.
Speaker 4: That's ten years away.
Speaker 3: Does anyone honestly think that they're going to get this gas project off the ground and then in ten years it's going to be contriverally, I think she already knows this ninety five percent renewable is simply not going to be happening in ten years. Everyone, we are we need this gas project desperately.
Speaker 4: And will be relying on it. Far heavily than that in.
Speaker 1: A mere protect what she's totally ignored.
Speaker 2: And by the way, did you notice that she did that press in front of the wind turbines behind, just to drive the drive the point home that you know, we're not really on board with the gas. But she decides that the first application we've had in ten years, therefore, you know, what the hell have I got to do with it? The reason is the first application in ten years is that the Victorian state government basically drove every gas project they could out of the state for years and years and years until twenty twenty, any sort of drilling for oil on land was banned and the result of that was that all the gas companies, well, we're not going to do anything in.
Speaker 6: Victor on a costum gas project in both Victoria and New South Wales under sadly to say, there are faral government in New South Wales and the Andrews government and so yes. Strangely, when they banned gas exploration, that seemed to have a dampening effect applications for a license for gas exploration.
Speaker 2: And this is this is an offshore project, it should be noted. But the effect of banning the onshore projects. Was that people just didn't offshot.
Speaker 6: That's the beautiful offway bas I used to go on holidays when I was a kid near a Polo Bay, a lovely part of Christine Wilderness. And now it's going to be scarred forever by the scourge of gas, which of course is evil, so bad in Victoria that they've actually decided to ban it, but is apparently okay to green light when you finally get an application after telling all other applicants to go away, but one sort of slips through und your doors say oh this got through. Oh well I better approve it. And again this is what I don't understand, Like make up your mind. Is gas bad or not? If it's so bad you have to ban it, how is it not so bad that you can.
Speaker 5: Have just a little bit.
Speaker 6: It's like, oh, you know, like you know, sure, you know, I punched children, but not as much as I used to.
Speaker 2: It was it was, it was, it was only one goat.
Speaker 1: But you've got you've got the.
Speaker 2: Federal government now saying that that gas is an important part of the mix.
Speaker 1: Going forward a.
Speaker 5: Hero another great library.
Speaker 2: You've got everyone saying that gas is an important part of the mixed going forward for the Victorian government that, like you said, you reluctantly allowed this one to happen because the application came.
Speaker 6: I'm very fond of applications. I'm very fond of saying. The only thing now that's gasolt in Victoria is the population.
Speaker 2: Quite right, And you've got to wonder sometimes whether the government down there are certain members of it have been huffing gas to come up with some of the things that that they come forward with to some better news out of Victoria. Now Christmas has been saved in scenes reminiscent of the Grinch. The city of Stonnington. Now, they over the last couple of years have been not promoting Christmas. But you know, you know, councils put up things on their bins and signs in the street and whatever, and normally they say Merry Christmas or some variation of that. They've had make Mary for the last couple of years. What the hell make Mery is meant to mean? I don't even know, Drant.
Speaker 1: We yeah, well, we can do that anytime of the year.
Speaker 2: But the council, in response to overwhelming public pressure, has now voted that this year it will change back to Mery Christmas. According to a statement that they put out this week after their latest council meeting, the City of Stonnington will use Merry Christmas wording across its twenty twenty four fistive season events, activities and decorations. The mean said, We've responded to community and business feedback to make sure that our twenty twenty four Christmas promotions and activities in Stollington clearly include the word Christmas in them. Most of the feedback received simply requested a switch back to Merry Christmas, and that's what we've done. The Christmas wreath at Moulven Town Hall is a wonderful symbol of our community doing the festive season at such an important civic building. We absolutely embrace diversity in our city. Of course, they had to get that bit in there, didn't they. This one was a pretty straightforward decision for counsel, and I thank everyone who took the time to share their views with us. Which leads me to the question, if you've now recognized that it's okay to say Merry Christmas, even when at the same time you're growing how virtuous you are in your support of diversity, why did.
Speaker 1: You get rid of Christmas in the first place.
Speaker 2: Did you realize perhaps that literally no one except the most stark, raving, mad people have a problem with Christmas. No one is offended by Christmas except for in the city lefties who feel this like they have to be offended on behalf of other people who aren't actually offended.
Speaker 3: And that works when those inner city lefties are on the council. I mean, there's no way these councils take these positions because they've run a pole in the community. They just make these captain because calls.
Speaker 4: Then they get the feeding.
Speaker 3: And seriously, this is why it's so important when your council does this ridiculous stuff, get in touch with them, because people.
Speaker 4: Power still works. These guys want to be re elected.
Speaker 3: And if they hear from enough of you I used to be a city councilor myself, if they hear from enough of you, they will topple as they should.
Speaker 4: That's what they're paid to do. Represent you.
Speaker 3: So great when in Stonnington, maybe see much more of it.
Speaker 6: I just find it so delightfully amazing that a mayor, a politician, a public figure actually needs community and business feedback to discover that canceling Christmas is unpopular. I don't want to I don't want to introduce any spoilers. But there was a little something called the English Civil War about four four hundred years ago, and Oliver Cromwell and his people, you know, they toyed with.
Speaker 5: The idea of canceling Christmas. Did it work out well?
Speaker 6: It's just absolute stagger and also for the love of God saying how diverse the community is, right Stonnington is you want to talk about Christmas, it's a white Christmas. It is the most waspy blanc mange Rich Leafy. This is the home of the too rac tractor. You know, this is more than I used to leave. You know, a few clicks down the road from Maulvin and Daniel. That's diverse. We've got the knife crime to prove it's a it's a great you know, I grew up there. That's a truly diverse place. That is the place where you do have this full mix of cultures. And as you say, when you have that many different cultures all living together, they know, you've got to respect other people's beliefs. You've got to embrace other people's beliefs. Otherwise it's just permanent civil war. So it's only these outrageously affluent councils.
Speaker 5: And again no.
Speaker 6: Surprises that these are the sort of places that have the strongest teal and green presences, as these ones that wouldn't know Ramadan from a Ramalama dingdo and thinking, ohbably, we better be diverse, we better be diverse, because they frankly don't have any real problems to worry about, and they make these stupid ass decisions and then say, oh, we've listened and we've decided. You know, and again I'll use one of my very comparable analogies. We've listened to the community feedback, we've conducted the focus groups, and we're going to stop killing babies.
Speaker 1: What a relief, baby Jesus.
Speaker 3: Speaking of wins, there's another one happening in Saint Kilda with a statue of Captain Cook about to be reinstated, you know, one of the many that have been torn down. Someone's actually decided to put one back up.
Speaker 4: What a win, Thank you, Saint Kilda.
Speaker 3: In case you've forgotten, here's some footage of one of those being taken down.
Speaker 1: Black magic. Either you do you don't have you black gift to talking the whole package magic made plans.
Speaker 4: You would now witnessinger power, your billion, me your bill.
Speaker 3: This bronze statue was one hundred and ten years old and it's going back up, thank goodness. The reason why why aren't we seeing all of these put back up other than, like we just said, Stonnington Council two point zero, the lefties on these councils either saying oh it's for the protection of the statue. If we put it back up, they'll just tear it back down. Great way to hand them a win. If you reward the aggressors, you just get more aggression.
Speaker 4: It's not hard.
Speaker 6: Pretty tough, though, did you say the way they would bashing up that lifeless statue?
Speaker 1: Know, Peter Costellos? Are they?
Speaker 2: But it's interesting because there's another one that was taken down in Melbourne City Council and we're what like five six months on from this now and Melbourne City Council still has not decided whether or not this thing comes back up. In fact, the council, through a spokesman, said to The Herald's son today that they're still assessing the damage with experts.
Speaker 1: I mean, the thing got knocked down around Australia day.
Speaker 2: Are you telling me that you're still assessing the damage and supposedly trying to work out whether they can reinforce the statue to put it back up if the statue has not gone back up. And there was another one that got knocked down in Edinburgh Gardens next to Captain Cook's cottage, which falls under the Yarra Council, which is I mean you think Stonnington's bad Yarra is literally run by the Greens. If the statue hasn't gone back up by now and they're assessing the damage, I think we could be almost certain Joe that the statue ain't going to go back up. They're dragging their heels hoping no one will notice that.
Speaker 6: And again, this is a problem, and I know we've talked about it before, but this is the problem when you just have these rogue vandals who just.
Speaker 5: Tear down this.
Speaker 6: Of course, you wouldn't put up a statue of Captain Cook these days, and I think that's perfectly legitimate. You put up stuff that you know people haven't seen before, or stuff that reflects another side to our history, indigenous memorials, whatever you want. That's all great, and the problem is you wouldn't put that statue up now, and so instead of just having that statue there, that's a reminder of another time and reflects the values of another time, and consider alongside whatever new thing you want to put up, you're then in a position of having to kind.
Speaker 5: Of resurrect that statue, which then.
Speaker 6: Sounds like you're making a value statement about something that happened two and a half centuries ago, which then makes it look weird.
Speaker 5: And then of course all the protests say.
Speaker 6: See, you're a white supremacist colonialist trying to oppress indigenous people by putting this statue up, when in fact, of course the statue should never have come down in the first place. So that's the kind of wedge that they're trying to put people into, and counsels should not fall for it. But it is just part of this sort of ugliness. And again, if you're going to tear down statues of Captain Cook, where do you stop?
Speaker 5: Do you level Paris?
Speaker 6: Because the Paris that is, you know, made famous by sex in the city was built by Napoleon, who was a dictatorial monster who killed thousand upon thousands of people.
Speaker 5: Do you do you.
Speaker 6: Tear down the statues of Winston Churchill because you know the Bengal famine. We can't forget that.
Speaker 3: Do you tear down everything Martin Luther King ever did because he was known as not being very good with women.
Speaker 6: That's the suffrage.
Speaker 4: Faithfully, he was done for assault.
Speaker 6: They did not know that, but I knew. I knew he was not a faithful husband. But again, there are plenty of other people. John Lennon International Airport. John Lennon admitted that he used to hit women. If you you know, gandhy Gandy's been used of being racist towards black South Africans during his time there, not acknowledging their plight. Abraham Lincoln, the Great Emancipator. Of course, he was responsible for some marching west of the Native Americans, which resulted in all sorts of terrible things in dislocation. So again, if you are going to say only a pure historical figure can have a statue or something named after them, guess what. There'll be no statues, there'll be nothing named after anybody, and there'll be no historical figures because they'll all have been whitewatch from history. And then we can just pretend that history was fine.
Speaker 3: Cook surely is as pure as it gets because it's amazing. Loves to say, you do the thing, Caleb.
Speaker 2: Every time this comes up, I have to say Captain Cook was not on the first fleet. He was dead nine years before the first fleet arrived in Australia.
Speaker 1: He was murdered in Hawaii.
Speaker 2: He had nothing to do with the settlement of He was an explorer and yes, at an earlier point he came to Australia, went round the joint, he got off and stood on land, but he did not bring the first fleet. He he did not colonize. He did nothing of the sort. And so it shows how historically illiterate these people are that the man that they seem to target is not Arthur Philip or anyone else who was actually involved.
Speaker 1: In getting up the colonies.
Speaker 2: Right, they go after the dude who got killed nine years before the colony began.
Speaker 1: It's got nothing to do with Captain Cole.
Speaker 6: Although Cooke did say Australia was a very nice place and he was right about that.
Speaker 2: Well, it is what he did for the world in terms of exploration.
Speaker 6: The scientific the exploration, but also it was a scientific voyage. So he was there's the transit of Venus and he performed the credits. Is a self taught guy. He grew up he was the son of a collier. I think it was. He used to drive drive coal ships up and down, up and down England. And the endeavor, I believe was a collier. It was a coal ship that was red was to go all the way, so he used to just go up and down England and then went all the way around the world. And he was self taught, self made, self educated, did these incredibly precise observations of the transit of Venus, although there was a lot of overcast whether they'd got in his way and made him really upset. But this is this guy is a working class hero. He's a working class successory. He wasn't even a real he was a lieutenant.
Speaker 5: He had the title.
Speaker 3: Because he was no There is no record of even any bad relations between him and the indigenous.
Speaker 6: There was there was one encounter, and it was very unclear what happened, but there was exactly There was some I think there was some spears throwing or some projectiles thrown towards the ship, and then there was a shot fired.
Speaker 5: From the ship.
Speaker 6: No one was killed as far as we know it as possible, and that this person was injured and we don't know what happened to them. And then yes, Arthur Phillip rocked up with the first fleet and he had in his hot little hand a set of rules. And one of the rules was if any of the colonists, any of the convicts harmed any of the indigenous people, they would be hanged.
Speaker 3: Correct in this photos of those white people hanging because Queen Victoria wasn't.
Speaker 2: Right And this is the other argument of people going to bed. All the terrible Royal family were involved. They specifically said that Indigenous people were to be treated as though they were subjects of the British when it happened.
Speaker 1: Everyone else.
Speaker 6: And one of the orders that Philip hard was to establish friendly relations.
Speaker 5: These are obviously things back and forth.
Speaker 1: These people, they literally have no idea.
Speaker 2: After the paper after papers, after the break will get into the papers, including the astonishing amount of money Queensland is spending to try and get your vote. You'll find out how much it is after this, let's get stuck into the papers, starting with the Australian Tomorrow, where Costello's brain snap Agro in charge at nine nine Entertainment's chairman Peter Costello is under serious pressure to keep his Jill Bob after he knocked a reporter to the ground in front of witnesses at Canberra Airport while he was refusing to answer questions about the sexual harassment scandal engulfing his media company.
Speaker 1: Here is the shove in question.
Speaker 11: Were you aware of the allegations against mister Wick before he left nine? Were you aware of those allegations, mister Costello, why won't you support mister sneezebe publicly?
Speaker 1: Goodness?
Speaker 5: Well, you've got to answer the questions.
Speaker 12: Mister Costello, You've just assaulted.
Speaker 5: You've just assaulted me.
Speaker 2: And this was mister Costello a few moments later in Parliament House saying it was all misunderstanding.
Speaker 3: When I came through Camber Airport, there was a reporter walking backwards with his phone filming.
Speaker 1: As I walked past him.
Speaker 5: He walked back into an advertising play card and he fell.
Speaker 3: I did not strike him.
Speaker 10: If he's upset about that, I'm sorry, but I did not strike him.
Speaker 2: But unfortunately for mister Costello, some people who actually saw the thing have a different version of events.
Speaker 12: He saw that I'm just filming because I'm trying to So you saw you saw that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, he like picking about here.
Speaker 5: I don't know, wats you fall over there? I just sat there going to smoke on the.
Speaker 12: pH Okay, yeah, I just saw it'd been shacking up. What was that about?
Speaker 5: So he obviously said something.
Speaker 12: That I'm just asking questions about the Mike Sneezby thing. So I'm I'm from the Australian and yeah, I thought like he's trying to he was trying to say that I walked.
Speaker 5: Into there, but I don't know. Yeah, so I saw that. Yeah, we saw it.
Speaker 2: If he saw it, I wonder what mister Costello has to say about that. And some other witnesses are quoted in the Odds Tomorrow as saying that mister Costello had quote charged through Liam Mendez the reporter, like a sumo wrestler, that he shoulder barged Mendez, knocked him flying and gave Mendez a good shunting. And there was another person I saw quoted on The Australian's website earlier today saying that mister Costello was an effing big bloke and he couldn't believe what he had watched, you.
Speaker 6: Know, and Liam mind is not a is quite a slows not bloke as well. Yeah, it's to say the understatement of the century.
Speaker 5: Is that this is an appalling look.
Speaker 6: No one, I don't think is accusing Predicastell of striking that that was a sort of weird, sort of very very much a politician's answer says, I did not strike him.
Speaker 5: Well, no one suggesting that he struck him.
Speaker 6: What looks like has happened is you've just barged into him with your shoulder and pushed him into said advertising placard that is then tripped over backwards, and then you've stood there towering over him without even offering him a hand up or an apology or any any indication that you actually care. In fact, you look rather please with yourself and as though you meant it.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing, right, that's what it looks like if and he says in the extended statement he gave that you know, I've seen this happen a million times.
Speaker 1: Reporter walks backwards, they fall it is.
Speaker 2: He's saying that every single time he's watched a reporter fall over, he's just stood there.
Speaker 1: And laughed at them.
Speaker 2: Because Liam Mendez says to him, you have assaulted me and you can audibly hear what you assume is mister Costello.
Speaker 1: Cackling about it.
Speaker 2: He doesn't come over and put his hand out and say, sorry, mate, can I give you a lift up?
Speaker 1: Or are you okay?
Speaker 3: I think the I think the fact that he didn't do that would seemingly suggest that he had in fact been instrumental in knocking him over, because there's no use me shouldering you to the ground and then turning around and being like, oh mate, you're right, Can I gets the appointment?
Speaker 5: There's nothing, there's no between.
Speaker 2: The camera and Peter and I awhere if he's not if this advertising placard is there, and that is what mister Costello says, mister Costello had full view of the advertising placard, in which case he could have just moved a few inches to the other side and not caused Liam to walk into it.
Speaker 1: It's pretty hard to see how it's not deliberate.
Speaker 3: At the same time, you're wondering why Costello's figure that it's a good idea to come up with an alternative version of events when this is this is Canberra Airport. CCTV footage will prove someone right and somebody else wrong.
Speaker 6: Within seconds and all those seems like he's trying to get the story straight right. Perhaps there's a sort of belated realization, is what he's saying.
Speaker 5: No, I didn't you.
Speaker 6: Tripped over Remember you tripped over that advertising placard and fell backwards.
Speaker 5: Remember that?
Speaker 6: Remember how I didn't hit you and you've tripped over that advertising placard. I say hello, mister Thompson, and stamp your foot. You say hello. It's just look, I'm surprised. I've had very good relations with Petty Gestella in the past. This is not a side to him that I knew existed, but it's a side to him that according to the camera.
Speaker 1: Good good luck is all I can say to Peter Costello.
Speaker 2: Now, the story on the front of the Ears tomorrow PM slam's new reactor rabbit hole. Anthony Alberizi will say, we cannot afford to waste fifteen years down a.
Speaker 1: Rabbit hole about nuclear reactors.
Speaker 2: Must embrace solar energy, wind power and green hydrogen to drive the nation's knit zero by twenty fifty transition. It's just the same tide lines, isn't it serious?
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, all the energy companies are now singing from the same book saying, look, this is very nice but simply not feasible. So the bottom line is where is our base power going to come from? Our base load power? Right now, that's still a badge proudly worn by Cole so Victoria's.
Speaker 4: From gas themselves.
Speaker 3: But that's another fossil fuel Joe, So it just you know that we're.
Speaker 4: Ashamed of that as well.
Speaker 3: Apparently, Look, we've said it a million times nuclear is the only way to go, and it doesn't seem it's certainly not going to go anywhere.
Speaker 6: If they're small module reactors come online, then it will be viable.
Speaker 5: I think that.
Speaker 4: But that's when.
Speaker 3: Labor would come to the party.
Speaker 6: If everyone else, If everyone else ends up doing it, why not everybody else doing it? Very very excitable. The small module reactor studies this yet so well we have them, so no one.
Speaker 5: Else is doing it.
Speaker 6: But if they do come online and they're affordable, I think that's all great. But they're saying building the giants.
Speaker 4: Do you genuinely believe labor?
Speaker 3: So tomorrow big announcement SMRs are online. Matter.
Speaker 4: If labor would take up nuclear.
Speaker 6: Probably wouldn't even be discoverment because it could be ten years before that there.
Speaker 4: Well, the sooner you get started, you.
Speaker 5: Know not well, other people, we're not building them.
Speaker 3: We know that they put it a joe because about them and renewal.
Speaker 6: But hydrogen is very very exciting, and they're going all into hydrogen. And hydrogen is something that a lot of the traditional greeny ra ra renewables people very have been very very skeptical about because they just wanted to be all solar and win. But clearly hydrogen as firming as something that possibly could be the next big thing.
Speaker 5: So who knows wherever it comes from. I'm happy.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the Korea Mail before we leave where it says Tomorrow revealed Premier's infrastructure plan to cost same as moon landings, big builds, giant leap. The price tag of the Males government centerpiece big build has ballooned to one hundred and even billion over the next four years, almost the same cost permanent of the Apollo project that landed Man on the Moon. I mean, they could be rivaling the Victorian government going down this sort of road goodness, Geen.
Speaker 3: And this is just this is eighteen billion up from last year when they unveiled it. You want to blame that on inflation or let me get supply chain issues. I mean, that is a massive jump in a meal one year, and as.
Speaker 2: The paper notes, looking at the photo on the front, there at no wonder the premiere needs to be coming up. After the break, we'll get into some other funnies of the night, including the fact that apparently transgender people who are operating on some sort.
Speaker 1: Of different time continuum. I don't really know what's going on. I'm not sure you will either that up next.
Speaker 2: Now, look, I don't know about you. I thought time just sort of worked. As you know, there are sixty seconds in a minute, sixty minutes in an hour, twenty four hours in a day, three hundred and sixty five days in a year. But apparently if you are LGBT IQ plus Joe, there's a totally different form of time.
Speaker 6: That is such a cis white hetter thing to say. No, there's freg time, there's Curry time, and now there's trans time. Apparently LGBTQUI plus people experience time in a different way to the rest of us. But don't take my word for it, take the word of this random blogger on TikTok.
Speaker 13: Did you know that queer and trans people actually experienced time completely differently to SISHT people. It's a concept called queer temporality, and it basically has to do with the fact that historically, as queer and trans people, our lives have started much later and for a whole bunch of reasons, ended earlier than our sis head counterparts. So as a result, our experience of time is compressed.
Speaker 5: So there you go.
Speaker 6: And when she opens that video by saying, did you know that? I did not know that?
Speaker 5: No, and now I do.
Speaker 2: Amazing your life started later than everyone. What did you have to wait five years at some point.
Speaker 3: In their lives that they were and that it's doesn't that mean and that's when their life.
Speaker 6: Doesn't that mean that they're younger than all of us? That's a good thing, right should.
Speaker 3: Oh, she's just saying that that is why they're on a different time space continuum. But Trump's new campaign ad has dropped, and this time.
Speaker 4: He hasn't said a word. He's just let Biden do all the work.
Speaker 14: I'm not a young guy. That's still secret.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that's it.
Speaker 4: Vote Trump or for that senile old man.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: He hasn't said a word, He hasn't appeared in his own campaign ad. He's just like, I'm just gonna run an add of their current president tripping over himself.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thanks for Western civilization. It's been great while it lasted.
Speaker 1: Let's Joe Biden, He's.
Speaker 2: Either anyway. That's it from us this week. Up next, rat to padding chefood Now