Speaker 1: You have the intention of going to bed early, and then the next minute it's three o'clock in the morning and you're doing which kitchen appliance quiz? And my apparently I'm a toe star. But anyway, hello guys, and welcome back to Stepping Up. I hope you're having an amazing day or night or whatever time it is when you're listening to this. I'm so excited for this episode today because this is going to be giving you, guys a pretty big wake up call. And this is all the things that I wish I knew so long ago. And this is the stuff I think we really should be taught in school because once you learn this, you just can't you can't unsee it, and you can really start to understand yourself. The other thing we should be taught in school is also had like life skills like washing and cooking and not drowning in life admin, because those are the things I actually suck at. Now, I want to ask you, have you ever wondered why when you try to start a new habit or goal or routine your brain is like computer, says a note, Well, there is a very good reason for that. After listening to this episode, you'll understand why you can never stick or see things through well most of the time, and why your brain is actually the one sabotaging everything, and how to move forward to work with your brain, not against it. The things I want to be sharing with you are absolutely life changing and it's going to drastically change the way you view starting new habits and routines.
Speaker 2: But before I get into it, I just.
Speaker 1: Want to say I've been loving your tags and mentions on Instagram if you guys listening to the pod, and I'm so so bloody glad to be back. I feel like I've said that a million times, but it's true, and I want to quickly give you guys a bit of a life update before we get stuck into today's episode. Now, as you know, I took a long time off for the book and all the things, but I'm well and truly back into the swing of it. You know, I'm back on YouTube now, I've got the pod back, and I'm back, you know, full fledged into SPP and all the things. And with all of that, like coming up to this time, I won't lie, I felt like I might have lost my mojo even like with you know, the pod, I was scared I was going to come in here and not know what to talk about, which is funny because it's me and I can talk underwater. It's like, you know how people say long story short, one short story long, like I will just go on teen and new turns and all the things.
Speaker 2: So that was silly. But I think we see people.
Speaker 1: Online and stuff and what they're doing and just assume that they are confident and they just go in and do the things. But the thing is with this, you know, coming back to all of it, I had I was having like a lot of anxiety and panic attacks, and you know, I had a lot of doubt in myself that you know, yeah, as I said, I might have lost my mojo. And I've been doing this for like ten years now, not podcasting, but like being online and sharing, and I've been doing it a very long time. But it's kind of crazy because I think back to when I was at UNI. I was doing media and communication studies in journalism, and I was fresh out of high school, and you know, in high school and school, I was very very shy unless I was like in my with my friends, I was like I barely spoke, which is kind of ironic here we are. And another thing that's ironic is I, you know, in UNI, would have to do presentations, and I used to get so so nervous, like I remember walking into UNI and my hands would be sweating, and I'd be anxious about it, like for two weeks beforehand. And what I used to do, which I don't condone this, like I don't support this, but I would have to go to the UNI bar and I would have to buy a Juger beer and I would drink a couple of schooners of beer before I went to do my presentation because I used to always just feel like I was out of depth, like I shouldn't be there, like imposter syndrome. Massively, there was people, you know, in my class and things that were older than me, and they had a lot more life experience, and I just felt like this stupid blonde that just finished high school. And you know, it's crazy to think now that you know, I always felt really scatterbrained and things. But now the things that I used to be the most ashamed of, which is my mess and because I'm multi passionate, is now the very thing that actually helps me do my job better, like I can talk about anything from you know, makeup to fitness to bloody food to anything, because I just I'm so passionate about so many things, and it's now it really does serve me, and it helps me with YouTube, it helps me with socials because I'm not just talking about one thing.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about all the things.
Speaker 1: And I was just so scared to just, you know, anything to do with public speaking, anything with like using my voice used to terrify me until I got to the time where you know, I had Harper, my first baby, and I was just I was home and I had postnatal depression, and I just remember thinking like what if I start a blog, and imagine if I didn't do that, Imagine if I let the fear take over, and imagine if I let the imposter syndrome take over. And I guess my message to you is like, you know, the people that you admire most, they compare themselves to others, and then they continue to do the thing they feel like frauds, and they show up the next day they struggle with the same shit as us, but they don't let it stop them. And as I always say, feel the fear and do it anyways, because every person you admire and you look up to they feel the exact same way that you do, and it doesn't matter where they are.
Speaker 2: In there journey.
Speaker 1: And I can say that, like I feel like as I progress with you know, my career and everything like that, I think I can get a bit harder on myself so I get more in my head. You don't ever get to a place where you just like I'm good and that the only time you will get to that place is when you just have full self acceptance, Like I don't want to be like anybody else, So why am I looking at them?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, you can use people to inspire you, but if it's making you feel negative about yourself, that's when you need to unfollow those people or mute them or whatever. Just don't seek them out because it's not helping you.
Speaker 2: So I hope that helps, because at the end of the day, our brains do weird things like mine.
Speaker 1: You have the intention of going to bed early, and then the next minute, it's three o'clock in the morning and you're doing which kitchen appliance quiz am I apparently I'm a toaster, but anyway, And it's just we need to learn to just embrace the way our brain works, even though it's frustrating as hell. Sometimes most of the time you just need to just allow it to do its thing. And that's exactly what this episode is about. It is about us moving forward without making it harder, and also just understanding why we are the way we are because humans are complex creatures, but sometimes we make it harder on ourselves than it needs to be. Now, I'm going to be talking a bit of science in here, and now I'm not going to like full go or you know, professor on you. I just I'm someone again. I'm not very like I'm not super woo woo. I love crystals as much as the next person, but they're more of like a decorative item on my shelf rather than just like, you know, anyway, I want to be drawing on some studies and things in this episode because this is so important and I've broken it down. It's not gonna be boring, Like just trust me, just just trust me. But there is a reason why starting new habits can feel like pulling teeth or like buying iceberg lattice with every intention of using it, but it's just left untouched in the fridge. Now, just reflecting on the last couple of episodes I've been doing, I've been talking a lot about you know, gos routines, new Year, New Year, all that type of stuff. But before you start telling yourself when it comes to these things, I'm terrible at this or I just can't see anything through, let me stop you right there, because it's not you. It's your brain, which is also kind of you. But let's just separate the two for a second. And your brain actually doesn't want you to do the things. Your brains actually wants you to not do the things very much so in many different ways.
Speaker 2: And you might be thinking, but steph, my brain does want me to do these things because I'm the one thinking it. And it's also good change, it's not bad. And well to that, I will say, your brain wants you to remain the same. It's wild, right, And here's why.
Speaker 1: Though you may have a goal that you want with every fiber of your being, like you want it so bad that you think nothing's going to stop me, yet you're still met with so much resistance, and there is such good reason for that. This is the episode where you're going to stop blaming yourself because I told you to and science and what I'm about to explain to you generally change the way I look at habits and myself and also the way I talk to myself. So here are the things you need to know about your brain and you. And this is a science that we all needed to learn back at school. Like I said, now, I know you guys could understand this scenario very very well. Let's just say it's January. You decide, okay, I'm going to go to the gym three times a week. That sounds pretty doable. So you say, okay, I want to start Monday, and the week leading up you are obsessing over it. You're thinking, oh, like do I go, Actually, do I go Monday? Or maybe I'll go Wednesday. Or maybe you're thinking, oh, actually no, I don't have any like gym clothes, like oh, maybe I'll have to wait another week. Or maybe you're thinking, oh, my shoes they're not they're a bit dirty, like oh, I just might buy new pres of shoes. And you start throwing around a million reasons that you think are reasons or excuses in your mind as to why you can't actually do the thing that you've already decided on, but now it seems too hard, And then the day comes and you start thinking, oh, I don't know anyone there, like like what if I fall over and make a fool of myself? And your brain starts flooding you with reasons why this is actually quite dangerous because to your brain. It is the reason why your brain does this is it defaults to the familiar because it's safe. Now, decades of neuroscience show that the brain heavily relies on predicting what's going to happen next based on past experiences. So we are literally living our life through a lens of the past. So say, for example, let's talk about public speaking for you set, because I was talking about that before. You did public speaking once and you farted during your speech. You just you let it rip. The whole class is laughing at you. And before that you might have been one of the widows, which I wish I was, that liked public speaking.
Speaker 2: But now you hate it.
Speaker 1: So now whenever you have to talk in front of a group of people, your body and your brain is freaking out because it's not safe, and you're to your brain it's not safe. Maybe it's not safe to the people standing behind you when you're actually farighted, but you are now living your life through the past. You're not actually living in the current moment. It's kind of like, so you're living in a really shitty apartment and you're just not happy there. Every morning you wake up and instead of thinking, oh, today's a new day and you're just taking it as like what presents to you, you wake up and you're like, hate it here, I hate this, I hate this apartment, and you just start to be negative straight away because you're living through the past. So this is what your brain does, and it makes up who we are, which is kind of like sometimes it can feel a bit defeating, but it's also.
Speaker 2: Kind of powerful when you learn that.
Speaker 1: Now, when it comes to habits, your brain wants you to stay with what's familiar because it knows the outcome, and when it knows the outcome, it's predictable, so therefore it's safe because it knows exactly what's going to happen. And your brain's sole purpose is to keep you safe, which sometimes you know, our brain is telling us we're being chased sabertoothed tiger, but you're actually just talking to Margaret from accounts who's a little bit passive aggressive. You don't actually need to be stressing out about it. But our brain is just trying to protect us. So when it comes to new habits, our brain sees that as a threat because it doesn't know what's going to happen. It doesn't know the outcome, so therefore it's a threat, it's dangerous. So when a version of you feels unfamiliar, the brain flags it as unknown and it's unsafe, so it pulls you back to what it knows.
Speaker 2: So even if a.
Speaker 1: Habit is bad for you, like scrolling over eating, staying in a job you hate, or avoiding hard conversations, your brain goes, well, I know how this ends, and we survived, so let's just do that again. And it replays, and it replays and it replays, and new habits are the opposite. New habits are unfamiliar and, according to your brain, as unpredictable as the unknown, as the threat. So who would have thought going to pilates was going to be so bloody dangerous?
Speaker 2: Right? So, yes, your brain wants to keep you.
Speaker 1: Doing the same things you've always done, even if those things make you unhappy, even if they make you unhealthy.
Speaker 2: And even if.
Speaker 1: Keeping you stuck, because your brain's number one job is not happiness, it's not success, and it's not growth, it's safety. And to your brain, safety equals predictability. And to make that even harder, our brains are actually quite lazy. Yes, they like to do things that are low effort. And what's really interesting is that there are actually different systems in the brain for habits versus goal orientated behavior. So habit driven behavior relies on brain pathways that make things automatic, so it's less effort, it's low energy, and your brain is super lazy, so it's going to pick this option. It's like, yeah, cool, we're going to do that. So it's like, you know, when you have that one thing that's going to require a little bit of brain power, like replying to that email you've been putting off.
Speaker 2: Instead of doing that, you're going to.
Speaker 1: Scroll on Instagram because that is just easier, and your brain's like, we're not doing that. We're not doing that today. And then goal directed behavior, so you know when you want to try the new thing or change requires effort and it's conscious thinking. So once a habit gets strong, the automatic habit system we can call it it dominates, So even if you want a new behavior, your brain will default to.
Speaker 2: The old you, so the old habits. So in simple terms, your brain.
Speaker 1: Prefers autopilot because it uses less energy and it feels normal. That's one reason why bad habits stick long after we've mentally decided we don't want them.
Speaker 2: So me, for example, I'm gonna I've.
Speaker 1: Talked about this before, but I've always been I've had a history of being a bit reliant with alcohol. And for me, alcohol is the one thing that kind of like numbed me out and my anxiety. Not a good habit to have, and it's it was a struggle for a very very long time and it still can come up even so like for me, and I know this is like a bit different because alcohol is actually an addictive substance, but I'm just going to use it as an example. But this also comes back to like maybe you're someone who likes to snack on certain things in the afternoon, or maybe you love Coke zero and you just drink so much of those and then you stop for a while, but then as soon as you have another Coke zero, that habit just takes over again because it's in that system, because that's what your brains. It defaults back quite quickly, and that's why you do see that people can change and they'll overhaul it. Like for me, I was able to get.
Speaker 2: A handle on my drinking for a long time, but soon has sing got a bit. I felt a little bit uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: My brain's like, hey, remember that thing we used to do that used to make us feel better.
Speaker 2: Let's go do that.
Speaker 1: And we're like, yeah, how about no have about no brain because that's not good for us and it's not good for you. And that's why it's so easy for you to go back to that autopilot, because those neural pathways are so strong in your brain and that's what you know. And so even if you haven't done that habit for a long time, you can go straight back to it very quickly. Now you might be hearing all of this and I haven't even told you the rest yet, and you might be hearing all of this and you're like, stuah, this is so toflate, Like I feel so deflated, Like what am I meant to do?
Speaker 2: And at the end of the episode, I.
Speaker 1: Am going to be giving you the cheap sheet to work with your brain and how we can actually just do these hacks and things that is actually going to make us be able to achieve the new routines and the new habits. So the next thing, sadly our brain being a goal blocker, is dopamine doesn't reward new things as easily as the existing habits we've already got. So a big chunk of habit science comes from dopamine research, and neuroscientists discovered that dopamine neurons don't just reward.
Speaker 2: The actual enjoyment of the thing.
Speaker 1: So it could be like you know, when you have a sip of coca cola, I guess, and you're just like, oh, you get that like satisfaction that dopamine hit. You actually get most of the dopamine from the prediction of the reward.
Speaker 2: So you could say, like.
Speaker 1: For me, for example, because I'm talking about alcohol here, i could just say I want to have a glass of wine and I'm like, oh, and the dopamine hits me straight away, like I'm like, yes, I already feel calm, haven't even touched it yet. And then when it comes to me actually taking a sip, that dopamine from that is actually not as strong as the dopamine I had earlier, knowing I was going to have this glass of wine, like you already have it once you've decided you're going to do the thing, and then sadly, with things like alcohol and that, you then chase the dopamine for hours after and you actually never reach that same peak.
Speaker 2: It's wild.
Speaker 1: So your dopamine actually spikes when your brain expects the reward and not when you get one, which is it makes so much sense, doesn't it. It's just crazy and like, how do we not know these things? How do we not have a brain class at school? Like it's just it's ridiculous. And the thing is too things like scrolling your phone or eating the same snacks. Like there's research showing that the dopamine five is strongest when the outcome is that predictable because your brain knows what's going to happen. So yeah, obviously new habits it doesn't know the outcome. So it's like, no, we're not going to get dopamine from there. Why are we not going down that path? We always go like, let's walk this way. Like with new habits, there is no guarantee, there's no certainty, there's no immediate payoffs. Your brain's like, why do we do this when we could do something that gives us dopamine right now, like right right now. And this is especially true if you have ADHD, which makes it even harder for us because eighty HD brains are we are so dopamine driven, like that's why we hyperfocus on new hobbies, like I will go and buy like I still am sitting like at home. I have a paint by numbers I bought ages ago, and I have only the white parts left to paint.
Speaker 2: Do you think I've done it?
Speaker 1: No, Like it's like five percent of the painting, Like it will take me like twenty minutes, and it's been years and I have not touched it because that, to me is not dope for me.
Speaker 2: My brain's like not happening.
Speaker 1: So like for the average person, it's like we're already sensitive to the pressure of delayed reward, and now it's even worse, so we can't. It's just it feels like a losing battle, you know. So I remember back when I was a teenager and my dad was teaching me how to drive my car. Anyway, so I asked him a question about, you know, the clutch because I was learning manual and I remember asking him like, when do you push it in? Et cetera, et cetera, And I remember him stopping and he looked really puzzled, and I was like, how does this guy not know how to drive a car like he's teaching me? And then he had he actually started doing the motions with his body like he was driving, and then he answered my question. And I know you've probably had the same situation happened before, where you know someone asks you, maybe like my kids ask me things all the time, and I'm like, it's a daily task you always do and someone asks you how to do it, and suddenly you're like, I don't know, like I don't know the steps. And that's because our brain and our body it's just a habit. It's automatic. Now, you might not recall where a particular switches or a button, but your body does remember it. And that's because, like research shows that habits become automatic because they're literally wired into our brain. As I was saying before, it's like, as soon as your brain knows it is just part it's like you're wiring. It's how you're wired. And that's also with our belief systems. We can say I'm just not a runner, so you're never actually going to put your shoes on and go for a run, So that's going to be stopping you. So like you know, when it comes to things like brushing your teeth, you're not standing there thinking, okay, back and forth, back and forth, got to do my top left, got to do my bottom right?
Speaker 2: You just do it. So, which is like things like this.
Speaker 1: This is great, you know, having these neural pathways for like the daily task because you can do without thinking, But it's not so great when you're trying to change habits. And driving a car is a really good one to think of because i remember learning how to drive a car and I'm thinking, oh my god, this is so hard, like how do people drive this vehicle? And now it's like second nature to us. So our brains are so incredible in the fact that you can learn a whole new skill and it becomes a habit and you don't have to think about it anymore.
Speaker 2: But then, you know, when you do want to.
Speaker 1: Learn something new and change something, your brain has to switch systems and it costs energy. And because our brain is lazy as fuck, it wants to save the energy, and it wants to just do what it already knows. So now looking back at all these four points, that the fact that our brain is just chasing dopamine and old habits equal higher dopamine hits, that habits already just stay already wide into our brain, and the fact that our brain is trying to keep us safe aka stuck. You're probably wondering, Okay, so I've got all these habits and things I want to do, but like, how do I actually do them?
Speaker 2: Stuff?
Speaker 1: So this is where I'm going to give you the cheat sheet to your brain to stop you from having this internal battle with yourself like we all do.
Speaker 2: We all do.
Speaker 1: Even this morning, when my alarm went off for me to come in into Nova and record this podcast, my brain was like, oh, no, you'll be fine, just ten more minutes. Ten more minutes, will be fine. And we both know we're not going to be fine, and I was nearly late. No, brain, you're not keeping me safe right now. I have to get to work. So I'm going to give you the cheat sheet right now. So here's your cheat code number one, and that is make change feel predictable. So we know our brain likes the familiar. So we need to try to hack the system and make new habits feel more familiar. Now, how do you do that? So, for example, let's just say I want to work out more this year. Your brain here is unsafe, uncertain, what does that even look like? So a predictable version looks like every Monday and Thursday, I'm going to go for a walk for ten minutes at two pm. There's no thinking required in that because all the micro decisions for anything are exhausting. And remember, our brain is lazy. So if you are very specific on what you need to do and even down to the time, even it could be down to what you wear, that's going to make life so much easier. And I want to give you an extra hack on top of this, which is also very ADHD friendly. When I was writing my book, and I don't know I talk about this a lot, but it was my life for a year ago. So when I was writing my book, sometimes I really struggle to get into the flow of it. So I heard that somewhere that if you have a certain ritual or you have a certain thing that you do, and you do it only when you're doing that task, a task that could be hard it could be emails or whatever, or washing or cleaning. Put on the same playlist. So make a playlist on Spotify and it could be my cleaning playlist, it could be my walk playlist.
Speaker 2: Whatever it is.
Speaker 1: You only play that for that particular task. So when it comes to doing it, you pop it on and your brain straightaway goes, oh, oh, it's that time to do. Okay, we're going to do this thing. That's what we're doing now. Because it's like the environment. I'm sure it's like you know, when you're out somewhere and maybe there's a familiar smell and it literally takes your brain straight back to that time. It's like, I remember when when I was younger and I was sick. Whenever I smell vasaline, I literally will think about when I was sick.
Speaker 2: Is it vassaline? Nick? Is it vasialine? No, when you're sick, what do they put it? Oh? Vapor rub, vapor rub. Sorry.
Speaker 1: Nick's in the studio with me, and I'm just like, it's not vassaline.
Speaker 2: It's not vassaline. Steph And I was like, Nick, what is it anyway?
Speaker 1: Bit of vasso? I'm sure it helps when you're sick. The chapped lips and all the things you know.
Speaker 2: Oh god. Okay, so it was a vapor rup.
Speaker 1: So whenever I smell vapor rub not vasso, I will remember just a particular time when I was younger and I was in my I remember my childhood bedroom. I remember how it felt, and I remember my nan being there. So it's like it just triggers your brain, and you've got to use that to your advantage. So being super specific and predictable, but also having these little rituals within it. Say, let's say it is a walk. I want you to decide the exact time you're going to go, the exact days, and I want you to actually put it in your planner and act like it's an appointment, but one you can't cancel.
Speaker 2: But then there's like a one hundred dollars cancelation fee for this.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're going, you're going on the walk, You're gonna put the same playlist on, you're gonna put on the same shoes, and your brain's gonna switch over so much easier. The point isn't what you do, it's that your brain knows when and where and it knows it's safe. Now, moving on to cheat code number two lower the threat level. So instead of doing something quite broad and drastic like I'm going to overhaul my diet, so the whole thing, I'm going to overhaul the whole thing. What does that even mean? Again, there's all these little decisions within it that leaves your brain wondering what's actually happening, which means it's not safe. So a safer version of this is I'm adding protein to my breakfast. It's very specific. It's one thing and that's it. As I said, because my brain is lazy. When there's too much room for interpretation, that's when we end up not doing the thing. We need to be so specific. So it's like, you know, you hear people say like I'm want to do a glow up or I want to lock in or whatever their bloody say. It's like, okay, well what does that mean? Like what does that look like? Because you hear that on the internet all the time, and it's like, to me, it makes me feel like I have to do all the things. Or maybe it could be yes, adding protein in your breakfast. And you can even go a step further for this and look up some high protein breakfast that you can prep ahead of time. So for me, I love to make overnight wheatbicks and it's protein. I put protein and powder in it. I put my wheatbicks, I put almond milk and some berries and I chuck it in like a little cute jar and I chuck it in the fridge. So therefore it's also aesthetic and my brain's like, oh that's pretty. I like that, and it's already done, which means I don't have to get up and make it. So there's less resistance as well, and it's the one thing I have to do. Cheat code number three is to use immediate rewards. So instead of saying, you know how, we all say like when I reach this point, I'm going to feel good or when I get to this I'm going to be happy. So when it comes to things like this, usually people tend to say things like I'll feel good when I lose weight, or I'll feel good when I save money, or I'll feel good when I can fit into these genes again. So then your brain's like cool, see in six months or never. But an immediate reward for these things is something like ticking it off in your planner and then like.
Speaker 2: That's going to build self trust because to.
Speaker 1: Be honest with your confidence just comes with trusting yourself. If you know you're someone that like you know your flaky Jim friend where you both say oh, yeah, I'll meet you at the gym at six, and they always text you and they bail. You don't want to be your flaky gym friend to yourself. You need to be able to show up. And the more you shop for yourself, the more confident you becoming what you do. And then you see the resistance lessons every single time because you're like, oh, I've.
Speaker 2: Done this before.
Speaker 1: So whenever you can keep a promise to yourself, that is when you can trust your own intentions. So some ways you can have that immediate reward with habits and things is ticking off in your planner. You can even have that accountability. So with me, sometimes sometimes I can't do things for myself. So like with SPP my business, I've got that team, and then I've got my own Instagram post, which is still very important, like very important. But if there's something do for someone else, I'll do it. But if I have to do it for myself, I tend not to do it. So this is how we can hack the system. You have an accountability partner or like do a bit of a body doubling situation. So maybe you want a frank and say, hey, I need to do this thing. Let's keep each other accountable, and you check in with each other every single day, because you're not gonna want to tell your friend when she texts you at four pm, did you do the thing? You don't want to say no, So you're going to do the thing, or you're gonna take it a step further. And on your phone, you know the notes app, you can actually do a shared one, so you.
Speaker 2: Could have like a daily checklist you do together.
Speaker 1: And at the end of every day you can go in there and you can see what they've ticked off, and you tick off your own because then you're not gonna want to missdoing it because someone else is going to look at your to do list and that's where you're going to get the dope maint from. You're gonna get the dopamine from showing others that you did the thing. And I know that's like ego, but it is. It's our ego. We want validation from other people for doing the tasks. So if you can't do it for yourself, do it for other people. Cheat code number five is to attach habits to identity, not outcomes. Now, psychological studies show that behavior sticks better when it's tied to your identity, not pressure. So I did touch on this briefly. But if you're someone that wants to take up, you know, it's just I'm gonna use I'm just gonna use health examples right now because it's easier.
Speaker 2: So you say, oh, someone.
Speaker 1: Who wants to become a runner, But you always say to yourself, I'm not a runner. Are you going to as I said, Are you gonna grab a pair of shoes and tie them up and go for a jog?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: So therefore your chances are becoming a runner are zero because you're not going to try to because you've already decided that you're not a runner. So that means you are not a runner. So your language is so important, Like I cannot trust stress to you how important it is. Our brain doesn't know our thoughts from reality. And that is why I do something. This is like a follow on thing, but this is why I like to do mental rehearsal. Now, a mental rehearsal is something I do to really help with my anxiety, helps me with my confidence. So, for example, me recording the podcast today, if I was really really nervous about today. One thing I have started doing over the years is I'll sit down literally for like three minutes, even three to five minutes, and I close my eyes and I imagine the day playing out in my mind, and I imagine me coming into the studio. I imagine me smashing this podcast, and I think down to the very detail, because again, my brain doesn't know if that's actually happening or not. So when I do rock up today to record this, it's much more likely I'm going to act in accordance with that mental rehearsal. There's going to be no resistance because I've already done this according to my brain, and it's so so powerful and it is a form of meditation. But if you're someone that really gets in their head about things, that is such a bloody cheat code, honestly. So back to the language around ourselves. Instead of us saying I must run, I must lose weight, I must achieve this, I must get the pay rise. You say I'm someone who looks after my body. I'm someone who prioritizes my health, I'm someone that gets what they want. And I know that sounds like a bit of a manifestation thing, but it's true. Once you start saying I am already this person, you will start to act in accordance with that belief. Your identity gives flexibility and outcomes. Thinking in that way is so much safer to your brain and saying the things that we always say, like I must do this, I must do that, it's like I get to I want to. I am this, I'm already this person. I'm this main character of this plot. That's what we're doing. So my task for you this week, so my side quest for you this week that sounds much more fun, is I want you to try one of these tactics with your brain with something you've been wanting to do. I want you to try starting a ritual, or using different language for yourself, or being really specific and popping in your planner. And it is taking all the micro decisions away as possible to give you the best chance at starting this thing. Because the things at the end of the day, there's nothing.
Speaker 2: Wrong with you. You're not broken, you're not lazy.
Speaker 1: Your brain's just doing its job, which is a good thing by the way, Now we just got to hack the system, use the cheat codes, and we just need to learn to work with ourselves and not against ourselves. Anyways, I hope today's episode has helped. Please let me know on socials what you took away from this, what your favorite part was, and maybe what your habits that you're trying to do or achieve are and we can do it together. And we can also please join our Facebook community because we can chat about.
Speaker 2: It in there. And I will see you guys next Monday. But I love you