Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Something to Talk About, the Stella Podcast. I'm Sarah Lamarquin, your host, and this year I have had the privilege of sitting down with some of the biggest names in the country. Because when Estralia's celebrities are ready to talk, they come to Something to Talk About. We're continuing to publish across the summer break and we'll be back with a brand new episode on January twelfth. In the meantime, each day for the next two weeks, we'll be revisiting some of your favorite episodes from the past year. And I'm happy to report that there have been a lot of popular episodes, but out of the fifty we released in twenty twenty four, we've narrowed it down to ten conversations to revisit over the summer break. Today you'll hear from Hamish Blake in a rare in depth interview. The popular entertainer and two time Goldblogie winner join me in the studio to talk black cat lollies, the burial rituals of ancient Egypt, and his theory that a well stocked snack cupboard is the key to a happy workplace. Don't worry, we talk about his life too. Here's my chat with Hamish. Now, like all meticulously researched podcast hosts, I have referred to your Instagram bio in preparations.
Speaker 2: I can see over one page of printed stuff.
Speaker 1: That's true. I may have gone a little further than your Insta bio, but it's what we'll start.
Speaker 2: Will we've done that for anyone.
Speaker 1: I just can't and paste your Insta bio across six pages. I know this looks very daunting, doesn't it. It's like I've come in with my homework.
Speaker 2: This is a good this is a huge project.
Speaker 1: Last night I did my son's Year seven Egyptian history assignment, and what did you cover? We were talking about mummies and embalming, and I realized that mummies.
Speaker 2: Back then were something we did for the afterlife, but mummies now are someone we use for homework.
Speaker 1: This is exactly right and funnily enough for you. And I will be chatting a little bit about Lego today. And I was lamenting the fact that I had no little discarded cat Lego figurines anywhere as I did for when my oldest son was doing his year seven assignment. I don't know what Lego set had some little clearly there must like.
Speaker 2: An Egyptian thing because they loved cats.
Speaker 1: They used to embalm their pets with them as well, because then if they could be reunited together again, tough break for the cat, very tough break for the cat. If your owner unfortunately passed on, well, then.
Speaker 2: You'd be like, this doesn't look good.
Speaker 1: Anyone didn't have any lego in the house this time. Fortunately, I have a big fondness, some may say dependence on little sweets that are shaped in the shape of a black cat, made out of antisy like liquoric.
Speaker 2: I taught myself to love those as a kid because no other kids liked them, like black jelly beans. That's why. Because we didn't ever have like lollies and stuff I was of scabs. I was always like trying to like scum food of that, and so you just like taught yourself to like the stuff that people chucked away.
Speaker 1: The reason I have them is because my two sons won't eat them. They're the only lollies that will last in my house for longer than five minutes, so I had a little container of them. Anyway, I've already lost complete control of this inter do apologize six pages of preparation.
Speaker 2: And I mean I didn't need to come in hot off Egypt.
Speaker 1: I didn't need to read your Instagram bio. I could have just got straight into discarded lego pieces and lollies and our work. He was done.
Speaker 2: Totally pretty close to my heart, to be honest.
Speaker 1: As most of our readers and listeners would be aware. According to your bio, you host a weekly podcast or to some TV a few weeks a year. Huge load somehow. We will talk about those not so little podcasts in a moment, and also that TV which includes an upcoming Seaton.
Speaker 2: I hate the cover, thank you, it does, but I do have the cover for Stella is huge load, Like how does he manage? Just so my wife books and she's like, what did you say in that interview?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she will be uhcause.
Speaker 2: She genuinely does have a huge load. But if I am on the front cover pretending I have a huge load.
Speaker 1: All right, that's okay. Look, we will definitely get something in there about how Hamish manages.
Speaker 2: World class lolli scab and.
Speaker 1: Also huge workload. I mean there's a lot going on there. We're already very impressed here. Look, let's start with the big issue. How does the catering budget in the podcasting studio because we met host a couple of pods compare with that on set of a TV show.
Speaker 2: This is how much time have we got. I'll happily just talk about this for half an hour. It's my where do I How do I unpick this? I'm a firm believer in snacks. I think it's a really overlooked part of both podcasting and radio and television. It's I mean only because I've been that person, like when you rock up to work and you look at what snacks are available. Let's be honest, it really is. The message from the higher ups of this is how much we value you. If it's like some if it's just like a few pieces of fruit, it's a slap in the face. If it's good biscuits, and we all know what we mean here that UFE can buy like the non cream biscuits or cream. If you're giving someone a Kingston, you're saying to them, we tried and we love you. And it's not that much of a jump money wise right to get good biscuits versus this.
Speaker 1: Is generics buy them in bulk.
Speaker 2: You can buy them in bolk I just know what a difference it can make as a person. So back in the radio days, I was actually I would anoint myself the snap King, and we had a policy in our office in radio where I was like, whatever you guys like, because there is a you know, definitely an unfair hierarchy, both in radio and TV about like the people that are on camera versus the people that are actually doing all the work behind the scenes. So it's like, as a way to slightly address this imbalance, whatever anyone wants, like, we'll take it. Me and Andy will take care of it. Like just if you like macada, if you want oat milk, whatever, let's not have a moment at work where we're not pumped to open the fridge or the pantry. I hate that feeling when you like I need a little morale boost and you open the pantry and it's just full of morale destroying foods. So I think snacks are a huge element of morale in podcasting, there's not that you know, sometimes you're in separate studios, man, me and you are very big on like, you know, hey, everyone, let's just like let's get Nando's or Indian food, because it's like once a week you get to see each other. So again it should be like a joyful moment when I do how are the dad's dad? Which is a much smaller operation. It's just me and my mate Tim. We have a policy to that the drink like, we have a very strong please tell us your favorite drink like and be honest, like if you want a frappucino or something like, we will get it. Because again, how great is if you walk through the door and what you were like excited to have is waiting on the desk anyway, So that's sometimes so sometimes it's our footing the bill, but I see it as a very very small cost to bear for the joy that it can bring. So at Lego, I run a small kitchen backstage. There's like the general snack foods, and I'm not having to go at the production company here. They do a very good job. The catering's great, but I think you can boost morale by having you know, some great other foods backstage.
Speaker 1: I have to apologize. I feel like the craft services here on set of Something to Do, it's pretty.
Speaker 2: Perfect coffee, but this for a podcast, all you need is a coffee. Honestly, when I do the Hammer Shanny podcasts and they have two requirements and it's a little bit deverie, but I mean I pay for it. They just we can't leave the studio. I like to honor of This is very deep and only the people in our podcast team probably are interested in this. But I have a jar where I have mcflurry money, so I will, like at one thirty sort of just after lunch, two o'clock, I'll do it. I'll do a coffee and I'm a Flurry. I kind of think there's no better combination.
Speaker 1: For very comedy that is pick up.
Speaker 2: So it's actually a guy that works for this called Brad, and he takes it really and I appreciate how seriously he takes it because we obviously can't leave the studio because we're talking to the microphones. And if you're listening, Brad, God love you. I really respect you for that. He is diligent on it.
Speaker 1: So he's meeting his KPIs.
Speaker 2: Because he has taken and my policy is to like, Brad, get one for yourself, and he really does, but I really encourage him to get one result because I feel like a jerk making him go and get me.
Speaker 1: Mcflu myself because he's eaten Well, you've been chatting now TV. Apart from the catering, which I feel we've covered extensively, I feel that all questions have been answered everyone things and we'll have a little video of that. Apart from even mentioned obviously radio, which is where you and Andy Lee started and now you're working podcasting, and then there's been this hugely successful TV career running concurrent to that. Be an obvious question to say, how is it different? Because something that a lot of people talk about now is the fact that radio used to be a non visual medium. Now it is for you in terms of workload or just natural affinity, Is there a medium where you feel most at home?
Speaker 2: Great question. I mean, I think it's they're just different muscles, so and they're kind of like different sports, I suppose. So it's it is a little bit like, you know, you've got someone that's that really enjoys playing tennis, but then they also love netball. I would have to say, like I think, for for just pure flow, it is podcasting like and and what began is great a bit podcastings and even and even more refined, like you know, more of an analysa like a more refined serum of what radio is, because I think it comes down to, you know, you're ultimately doing it to for you know, enjoy creating moments and having a connection with your audience, which of course is what you go for in TV, or certainly an unscripted TV. You're like what Lego is, and a bunch of other shows are generally unscripted. You're trying to create something out of nothing, and that's a lot of fun. But there are there have to be so many moving parts in TV, and there has to be such a long production chain to get something on screen that just by the very nature of the length of that production chain, it can lose its excitement's spontaneity, and I think I just really love spontaneity. So you can do a lot of things to keep the magic for on camera, which we do both on Lego and then on you know, the other shows that we've done, but it's still that the distance from conception to execution can often be like weeks until you kind of that chance to do it, and that's fun, that's part of the work. That's just the nature of the beast. On podcasting, it really is a lot closer. You know that that sort of brain to mouth to ear connection is pretty instantaneous, Like you and I think that's really special, and you get to create that the most magical thing, which is to create a moment that then goes straight to a listener. And as you know from podcasting, like podcast listeners are the best just because it's by choice. It's so different to radio. And we obviously love all the people that joined us for the radio show and listened, and there was a large percentage of people you know that of course would make an appointment to listen to the show. But by and large, radio is a medium of convenience. It's like you're not getting in the car at four o'clock and hoping to find somewhere to go because you like the radio show.
Speaker 1: Some of your rested on fans.
Speaker 2: Some would and I really appreciate those people, and I was one as a kid too. I would stay in the car until six o'clock to wait till Martin molloyth finished. So there are those that make the choice radio first, life second. But by and large.
Speaker 1: Most people, yeah, you drive on the way, drive your.
Speaker 2: Kids up, and will happily keep your company while you do it, and so it's just that funny thing where with radio, someone could look your eyes and genuinely mean they could genuinely say to you, I really love your radio show. I listen every single day, or I don't listen to it all. We're on four to six Monday to Friday. That's ten hours when we were on radio. What they probably mean is on Monday he had like twenty five minutes. On Tuesday, maybe they got an hour Wednesday, possibly missed it and have forgot about that Thursday half an hour whatever. Those would be a high volume listener, but they're probably still only hearing about twenty percent of what you did that week, just because of life with podcasting, as you know, like people hear it all. And so our podcast listeners are the best because you don't have to ever reset anything. In fact, they remember more than you do about the show, and so you just end up with a much much deeper connection. And so we're like, it's the greatest fun in the world doing the Hamishinaity Podcast. We literally just get to turn up. The show kind of now is self sustains, like there's way more stuff coming into the show from our listeners and from like It doesn't rely on any sort of outside influence. You could record the show today, you could listen to the show today, you can listen to it in five years. It has nothing really to do with any topical events. And so it's in this beautiful little ecosystem that we just get to play with and it's the funnest part of our week. We're always like crying with laughter. We have the greatest time doing it, and you know, we win the ultimate prize, which is people enough people enjoy it that you get to keep doing it, which is kind of in entertainment, that's all you can hope for. If enough people enjoy it, you get to do it again.
Speaker 1: That's also obviously part of the success of Lego Masters, which is returning soon. Clearly enough people have enjoyed it that you get to get to it again because we've got a new season on the way. Your children are now six, six nine, so they're really getting into I imagine that real sweet spot for Lego because I've already mentioned my boys a bit older, they're twelve and fourteen. I remember very well the real peak Lego years.
Speaker 2: And it is and Lego knows that too as a company. And then they know that like quite a large percentage sort of drop away in teenage is and then they come back as adults. So there is actually officially from Lego I think called the Darkies, which I think is from like fifteen to like twenty because like a bunch of teenagers drop out. Other things get their attention, which I think we can all imagine. Yes, you'll remember what.
Speaker 1: Other things homework and that's history something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yea, yeah, totally psychology. I wanted to better reading a lot of the Greek classics around then. And then you know, then you come back as an adult. So yes, my kids are on the sweet spot possibly. I mean, my little girl is six, so I've been doing Lego since she was born. This our sixth year of doing I've done more of Lego Musters than any other TV show I've ever done. I've done it for longer than we much longer than we do Gap Year or any of other stuff than Andy and I did. So it's sort of yeah, it's a really long time. It's it's accidentally become like a large chunk of my life and one hundred percent of her life. I've been this person that goes and plays in this shed full of lego, so it's probably skewed her idea of what lego is like. She has more exposure to it as the thing at dad's work than what I had as a kid, which was like just standing in the toy store and coveting it and not being able to have it until it was your birthday or Christmas. So possibly have ruined her in that sense because we do I mean, I know this is admitting to theft from work, but I do take a bit from the brick pit and bring it home.
Speaker 1: What kind of things do you take?
Speaker 2: Messed up now, So it's not a complicated. She's not like, hey, bring me home like six three by eight forty five degree plates or whatever. The technical hard to.
Speaker 1: Slip into your back pocket. Can'try.
Speaker 2: They're not building incredible things. They're like, Dad, give us bring home fifty of the baby lions. Because there's all the animals and stuff in the brick pit, and it's just too much for a kid to understand, like there are buckets of these because a lot of Lego sets're gonna get like one cute animal. It's not unusual for a kid to be like, I want that whole ski resort because it comes with.
Speaker 1: The small figuring.
Speaker 2: It comes with the kitten. So you's being like one hundred and thirty dollars to get the kitten, whereas in the brick pit they just lying around. So I'm getting a lot of like it's like, you know, you hear about those like you know, car theF syndicates from like Dubai, who are like, go steal this Porsche or whatever in America. That's what I get from my daughter. I get like a hit list of things to boost from the brick pit. But unlike the criminal syndicates, I sometimes have the guts to push back on the crime boss and go I'm not boosting fifty. Maybe maybe I can get you one by the end of the season.
Speaker 1: And that's why you are Father of the Year, because you're pushing back on the crime.
Speaker 2: I still model theft, but a more reasonable level of theft.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just going to remind you that those little animals could come in very handy. By the time she's in year seven, you're doing your Egyptian Mummy. So I'm just saying it's a good longevity play, eternal life in all its bombs. If I say the word family viewing it sounds a little bit tweet, doesn't it Probably me.
Speaker 2: It reminds me if it's a knockout, which no one will remember.
Speaker 1: Oh I remember it's a knockout very well.
Speaker 2: But that's right.
Speaker 1: And it also even before TV became so fractured with the way that Australians are consuming content now, it's very hard to get people all in the one room watching a show together. But even if logistically you pull that off, it is I find in my experience as a mum, and I'm sure a lot of our business would feel the same just finding that content now that resonates. Lego Masters is genuinely one of those shows which is really lovely.
Speaker 2: And I take that now even more than I did. The stats the ultimate compliment because again, like season one, when people there were people that would give us that feedback because we're much younger and you know, like we were in like my boy was watching Bluey, which is family viewing as well. I mean, it's the best show in the world, but most of all, like I was like, well, my daughter's a baby, so we're not. I didn't really understand what a prize that would be. Now that I have older kids, I understand it a lot more. I'm like, yes, we're not all sitting down to watch Avatar the Last Airbender. As good as that show is, there are very few things and we're not making the kids stay up so that they can watch The Curse. So it's yeah, I really understand that a lot more so. That is a huge compliment that there could be a fun thing for certain families to actually kind of watch the show. And then the ultimate layer on top of that compliment is that people play Lego while they're watching the show. And then God, everyone's just pat themselves in the back, going, look at us, what great parents we are. The kids are doing something creative. We're all watching TV together.
Speaker 1: Job done. Feeling guilt.
Speaker 2: I think we're doing this.
Speaker 1: That we're doing it, that's a victory. You've been working on TV on and off for almost twenty years. You and Andy had your first sort of version of what was then The Hamish and Andy Show in March two thousand and five, so that what it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always forget. Yeah, we'retty close.
Speaker 1: To twenty Yeah, just after nineteen years. That's a period of immense change for you personally, also the industry as a whole, which I'd like to ask you about in a moment. But for you, a rising radio star in your early twenties, now married father to multiple Gold LOGI winning TV host, how has your approach changed? Is there anything that you wish you knew then that you know? And was it more fun then? I mean, you've made it sound like it's a lot of fun now maybe, though.
Speaker 2: It's a good question. It's always a tricky It's always a funny thought experiment, isn't it, Because I think you kind of go around in circles because you're always like, why you wouldn't change anything, because then it would alter history and you're going to end up somewhere else. And I'm really I love the all the ups and downs because it kind of puts you right into this moment where you are now. So that aside, like you know, I'm not going to just get too existential on the question. I was trying to answer it properly. It's it's one of those things where I'm we were really lucky to begin when we began, Like I think even just to be in that era of TV, it would be much it would be a really different prospect now if we were those people as twenty two year olds or whatever we were, And the answer for anyone would be, of course you change, Like twenty years. I was like three years into my four years into being an adult, and now you know, as a forty two year old dad, you just of course you're diff Like you hope you change every year, let alone every two decades. So I would hope I'm a vastly different person, but that retains some of the same some of the same features, some of the same characteristics that we had when we were twenty two. I think I think it was really in terms of it being fun. I think it's I think that has been the sort of the north star on any project anyway, and I think you have to. There's just no rule book for TV or radio or podcasting or any creative pursuit, songwriting, whatever creative outlet people have. There's no like, there's no guarantees, there's no there isn't a rule. It sometimes makes sense in retrospect, like sometimes you could look at someone's trajectory and be like, oh, that was obviously the plan, but not really if you rewind to any particular moment, you're mostly just guessing and going, well, this feels like fun. Do we give it a go, and I think I think that's kind of only that's that's a pretty simple algorithm. But it's served us well to just sort of go, this seems like it contains the right amount of excitement, uncertainty, possible upside, acceptable downside. And then the questions always been does it fit into our lives at the moment, And obviously our lives have changed a great deal. But one thing I'm really proud of between and On and Eers, we've always been very clear with each other that, like, let's with this is really fun in its best form. The one thing that probably squashes this thing we have is it gets too we take on too much, or it gets too big, or one side of the equation is it's not working for them. So let's just always stay ahead of that and let's let's adapt before circumstances kind of break us. And so it's you know, the times we've wrapped up a TV show or kind of changed from radio to go into podcasting have always been because there was just something in the air that made us go, I think this will be more fun if we move in this direction. And thankfully, you know, twe years is a long time, like I thank it's worked to this to this extent.
Speaker 1: Well, it certainly has. It's always so interesting hearing people that have had great success in a certain field for a long time. And two decades is a long time in any industry, definitely in this industry. What what the guiding light was? I think I think fun, that's a great one.
Speaker 2: I think you've got to go with fun and just remember that you don't it's not a right, like you don't deserve a TV show. I've never felt that, well you don't. It's not you don't have the right to be on TV or like, no one owes it to you. So if it happens, that's great. And if it doesn't happen and you and you tried hard, that's fine as well. You know, the industries are like riddled with a bunch of luck and a bunch of things you can't control. So I also do think for anyone that has had longevity, I think it's your responsibility to acknowledge luck in the process, which isn't to say you didn't work hard, didn't try hard, didn't take risks, didn't put it on the line in a calculated way when you had to. You can do it. There are plenty of people that do all those things though, and it's just not there's a bunch of stuff out they control and it's bad timing. So I think you kind of owe it to the industry to go Anyone that ends up lasting a long time has to have had a certain amount of luck, plus the preparation and the hard working the other things that you also, I think do need to last.
Speaker 1: When you come back on and we do the bonus episode to discuss the existentialist conversation that you were tempted to go down, let's talk about luck as well, because I agree with everything, and I think it's such a.
Speaker 2: You have to because there are a lot of people out there that did everything they could in their power, and that's the brutal. You know, it's a very chancey industry, as you know, you've watched it, written about it, and it is unfortunately bit of a winner takes all too like. There's only a few few spots, and then there's plenty of people just underneath that who were just as good and for whatever reason it wasn't, it didn't happen.
Speaker 1: I love hearing it from somebody that is in a position to say a lux being an element because I often think because it was a little bit of verse sort of I want to get into generational warfare, but like a bit of verse, sort of a millennial thing going on for a while, where it was luck's got nothing to do with it. And I always think that's probably something that lucky people say. And I say that as someone that's also had periods of great lucky in my life, but say that to an unlucky person, that there's no such thing as.
Speaker 2: Luck exactly what I have. And I think there's a perception to like, if you say it's luck, then you're not like you're somehow discrediting any of the hard work, but that both are true, like you can two things can be big thing.
Speaker 1: And then for twenty years, as the industry as a whole, I know it would be tempting for me to put my sort of TV geek hat on here, so I try not to make it too industry, but i'd love to get your observations. Hamish talking a little bit about the landscape Lego Masters is dropping in twenty twenty four, and talked a bit about that splintering in those twenty years. I mean, you must have just seen such disruption, as have we all across all the genres, but specifically TV. You and Andy have recently been announced as ambassadors of Hubble. That technology alone. I mean, what does that say about the changing consumption? That's theory habits.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a rapidly shifting world. And I think we all know. I mean everyone in everyone making TV is also a consumer, so everyone knows it from the consumption side, and there are periods in TV. I don't think we're in right now, but there have been patches in TV where you're like, I consume this really differently than the way we make it, And I think Hubble is a great example of something like that catching up. It's funny, there is a fair bit of full circle going on. But you know, Hubble is obviously made by Foxtel, who do Kale and Binge and and have the weight I suppose, or like the technological ability to do something like that. So in essence, if Hubble, the way I describe to people is if you've sat on the couch and you're like, why can't you just search for something rightout having to like jump in and out of apps and all that sort of thing. That is what hubble is, so it sort of brings everything back together. I think that's a great reflection of a technology kind of meeting people where they are on the couch going this is what we want, so you know, and that that is amazing too. When we think back to where we started, like you know, that first Hamishanity show two thousand and five. I think it was like you know, seven thirty or eight thirty at nine or something on Channel seven, and I remember we got when you're in TV. It's funny when you're in TV you care about the ratings, not that much, but to the extent like we talked about before, like if you rate high enough, you get to go again. It's not like you don't like a dollar for every rating or whatever. So no one. I never really understand whe people cared that much because I'm like, you know, well who cares? There's good stuff on. My question was always like can we keep doing it? And if the answer to that easy, yes, I kind of don't really care about ratings after that. But I remember back in that those Channel seven days we got acxed because we had fallen below like a an inconceivably low mark, which and this means nothing to anyone, because no one ever looks at the ratings except people that are in television or write about television. But there's back in those days, it was like your five city capital number had to be a million, and that was like minimum. This is in the days when Master Chef finales were doing like three million viewers and stuff, and like, you know, if Kathy Freeman had been cooking something while she's ratting one hundred meters, it'd be like a ten million viewer event. So the four hundred meters, so we'd like dropped to like under eight hundred thousand, and it was like, oh my god, that's almost no one watching. And then we dropped under six hundred. I think I think we we rate it in the six hundreds. And then the network was like the way it was, the way the mood was, it was like this is never like we cannot believe this. This has never happened in the history of television. We can't believe this is this is like every Formula one car crushing at once for a race, Like this is a disaster. So they're like, well, you know, we have to like we just can't, like there's no way, there's no way we could make money from something the six hundreds. Anyway, we laugh about that now because like, as you would know, that would easily be the most popular.
Speaker 1: So they're good numbers.
Speaker 2: That's like you're getting billboards for six like that's maths numbers. So we it's so funny. We look back, like the way it was sold was like, guys, you know, what have you done? Like you've absolutely shited the bed here like this, this is just unacceptable. But that kind of we always you know, that's the yardstick that now we're looking at going these days, that's a totally that's a celebrated number because there's just fine. I think there's like a new rating system this year that I haven't really looked into too much, but I know moving they know they're moving around to kind of reflect how people watch it, because for many years I was like, wow, like you know, catch Up should absolutely be included only, and I mean we're always biased about how you watch it at home, but I'm like, I'm never watching stuff at the time, but I still like it. So when people be like, you know, your show's rated this, and then later on we'll tell you how many people watched it on catch Up as if that doesn't matter. I'm like, well, I'm a catch up person and I love shows that I watch on catch up, so it's still it still matters. That's so that's a I think I think it's moving now to Fativa to reflect that, and there's like a new way to report numbers kind of includes all of that, but it kind of has to move in that way because that's that's how we're watching TV. Like it is a very I don't think my kids, I don't think our kids are our generation will ever understand when we're like, so the show's on at eight thirty, and if you're not there, you miss it.
Speaker 1: They get so straighted if something slow happens or they want to skip through a commercial or something. And then it's like, well, back in my day when I was Karen Cole to school, we had to sit there and you had one opportunity to watch it exactly on.
Speaker 2: One of things, on one of three pipes, I mean, or the ABC if it was the bill on a Saturday night.
Speaker 1: It's the is a fascinating in nineteen years that story of those ratings, and also the flip side of that is if that had happened today, that your show would have been getting clipped and the clips from that show of you and Andy would have been going viral on TikTok, and in addition to the catch up totally, there would have been a lot of talk ability around it.
Speaker 2: And that's the other thing too, Like I know we're here to pump up TV, but people people come into like it just so happens. Like, you know, we grew up in an air where TV was the option, Like there's no there was no YouTube. YouTube didn't coming two We've been in TV for like ten years, so there was no YouTube, no TikTok, no Instagram, there was no other way like the we did community TV first, and that like we thought we were the luckiest people in the world because we were allowed to film things and edit them and then you could see them back like and again. In a pool of probably tens of thousands of people that wanted to do that, we were some of the few dozen that were like allowed to be on community TV. So like we're like, oh, we've hit the jackpot here because we've got a chance to practice. But like now that is completely times a million available on your phone and kids just innately know how to film things, know how to edit stuff, know how to create because you kind of were like, it's it's there's entertainment, but there's also just attention. Like people know how to get attention now and that is really that's the game, and it's a TV show is one way to get attention. But you have to acknowledge your you're kind of you if you if you're someone that owns a TV which I'm not, but I'd be like, all right, we make a thing that is to try and get people's attention, but we're also battling against many other things that are trying to get people's attention, not just other TV shows.
Speaker 1: And we'll be back in a moment to find out from the man himself what really happened when Sonya Krueger made a joke about Hamish in her Gold Logi acceptance speech last year. Another thing that has reflected the rapidly evolving change and disruption of the TV industry is the Logi Awards, an Australian institution, and as I'm sure you have seen Hamish for our listeners that aren't across it, they've recently announced that they're changing the categories and essentially.
Speaker 2: Can you catch me up on this because I did hear whispers. I haven't looked into it yet.
Speaker 1: Yes, So in addition to doing my son's history assignment last night, I also did catch up on LOGI awards. So my understanding is that they are going to be overhauling. It used to be the most popular and the most outstanding categories, okay, And so the popular was obviously voted on by fans and the outsta was voted on by a jury of Australian TV industry professionals. The changes are being revolved to reflect the changing nature of the industry, and I would also assume the way that people consume content and they will actually be a hybrid of those and instead of most popular and outstanding, it will be.
Speaker 2: Best okay, So he's no more outstanding.
Speaker 1: Correct, Okay. Now the Gold Logi, which is obviously an award that you have won twice, that will still be presented under the most popular banner, with the nominees decided by independent industry experts and then voted on by the public.
Speaker 2: I think that's how I mean that's chopped and changed over the years, but I think that's how it was done in the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know what this means for Tom Gleeson.
Speaker 2: I reckon there was some chobbing and changing off that because I might get this wrong, but and I've always had it, like just enjoyed this as a sport, right to watch, because they were like, all right, you can to vote for. The nominees used to be able to be like put someone forward, and essentially the goal logging nominees in quotation mark were just the people that had polled. Very complicated. I don't think it's ever been simple that. From what I remember, it was like the these are like the six people that have polled the highest thus far. We will now. It just makes me laugh because it's like it sounds like the Duckworth Lewis system always in cricket, or like how you decide to tie in a golf game. So it's like, we will now continue voting for one month. Again, I think for like everything's shut. Everything's now closed, and the nominee, say for Best Actor, almost popular Actor, the winner is already in there, but we're going to show you the top five people. But the winner has already pulled those votes. So everything shut except gold LOGI nominee these which will keep open and you can continue to vote for them. I don't know if you could vote if you've already voted or whatever. But and of course that's done by the Logi's like keep the interest up to the night what like. You know, it's not certainly not my place to overhaul the logis. It sounds like I tell you what it does take into account, you know, And I say this with two hats on. One is someone that has had people vote for them before, so you're grateful for the people that could be bothered doing that. But then also as someone who's sat at the logis and gone, well, the most popular show category was always an interesting category because you're like, we have a system for that. It's ratings, like that's that's kind of the system. We have little boxes and I don't know if anyone knows this or not, but we there's a system. You don't have to relog onto a website somewhere to confirm that you watched an episode of Survivor or whatever. So it has always that's always been a source of kind of like amusement amongst people to be like, how do you do this? How do you decide this? So it sounds like there's a mix of like ratings numbers and then people voting. Because I will say this, it's like whether you win, don't win, whatever, it's still like, I think it's great to have the logis when need you know, you have to have it's as an industry, it's great to have something. It's obviously better to have them than not, I think, to recognize there's much great work that happens. I'm not saying it doesn't. I don't need it doesn't. This is not me saying I want a LOGI this is me saying I think it's great, especially for crews and especially for teams that make shows, like it's a great moment of recognition for those people. But the voting system was always like you voted the highest, but it's not mandatory for strains to vote, like you voted the highest of the people that could be bothered voting, And that's a really different thing necessary. It's true, this is true, So I'd say that's what they're trying to address. So even with the gold loggie, again I say this with much gratitude for having people that could be bothered voting and for selecting me on those years. But again I think there was eight people. I think there's eight people that are up for the goal, and if you do the maths on that right, you could win if it was a very even race. You can win an eight horse race with thirteen percent of the vote. So again, I think you just have to keep it in context a little bit because I'm not like I definitely am not of the school that wants to stand and be like, yes, yes I got this, I knew it, I'm the best. I think you have to stay a little bit realistic to go technically. I could have won this with like, let's say, fifteen percent of those who voted, so I'm well aware there'd be like one hundred millions of people out there going I didn't vote for that guy. So it's lovely, but I think you have to kind of also keep it in context.
Speaker 1: It's like every election, isn't it. Every federal election, stay election, at least forty percent of the people voted for the something else and woman.
Speaker 2: I think that's why as Aussie is you have that reaction to be like, I don't vote for that, Like statistically, definitely the majority didn't vote for you. If you win the Gold Logie, like I would love you never get to see the numbers. But I would bet the farm that no one's everyone with fifty one percent of the vote in an eight person race. Interesting, there's just no way.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, you're right. That would be beyond time because then what would the other seven get?
Speaker 2: That's right, it would have to be I can't even think of anyone like that. It would have to be basically like Taylor Swift, who was like, oh come if you've wn't for me, and then she would win with like ninety eight percent.
Speaker 1: Maybe Taylor Swift will somehow wrangle on the generation for Gold LOGI twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: I think it's it's great. It's obviously way above my pay grade. These are people that think about it a lot. I think we of course, like you know, it's great for the industry and for the people that make shows, especially to have a night and have the logis. And I love a big fan of tradition, and I like the idea that we can keep the tradition going. I think it's I think, by and large, if you had to pick between, do you would try and adapt to a more reflective system or do you just like steadfastly stay the same I think it's great that they're having a go at adapting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same here and look big fan of the logis, love the logis. I used to work for TV weeks. Still don't really understand the voting. People used to ask me when I woke, But.
Speaker 2: It changed, right, It would change year on year, like the gold would change and correct.
Speaker 1: And then there was the year as you were just talking about where then the voting stayed open until very late because it used to close very very early on because TV we would go to print.
Speaker 2: Like I was actually speaking to someone. This probably won't get printed because it's it's from news Corp. But they said, like when I won the Gold Logi, they were like, well, you just won. You won the Gold Logi because back in the day, I can't remember what year it was, was around about twenty and eleven or twelve or something and Facebook was pretty new. They're like, you asked people to vote on Facebook and that's unfair. And I was like, yeah, like we put something on the Hami Shady page and most was like yeah, but isn't it like a popularity contest And they were like ye, but you use social media and that's that's a that's an unfair advantage for people that don't have social media. I'm like, all right, I said, hang on a sec. Didn't Channel ten didn't I see a full page ad in the newspaper for someone and I won't name who, but someone on Channel ten that year taken out like a full page ad because we put something very small up as a joke, right, because we're like, what a funny thing to be nominated for gold Loggie. So it's not like we ran a full fledged campaign, but we'd had mentioned something on social media. So I was like, didn't every Channel ten to take a full page ad? And they're like, yeah, but that's in the newspaper. I was like, you're not saying that my Facebook page is more powerful than a full page ad, are you, because like maybe we should sell our Facebook page. And then it got awkward and then then he was like, well, I just think the newspaper's fair because I was like, I really don't see the difference, to be honest. I was like and he was like, yeah, we just have so many people following you on social media. I was like, yeah, but again, isn't like the gold log.
Speaker 1: Paper is hopefully read by a lot of people too.
Speaker 2: I don't really understand the argument we're having here.
Speaker 1: I think the observation that campaigning or lobbying for a LOGI vote on social media has aged really well sizing that.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't you agree that's the hope of the whole hope of the logis is like, please campaign.
Speaker 1: I don't know what reported that was, but I feel like Tom Gleason just went up to them a couple of years after that and said, oh, my beer. Don't you think last year you did not win the Gold LOGI Sonya Krueger did. She of course made an acceptance speech where she I was about to say, attempted a joke, and I thought that sounds mean, but I think Sonya would be the first person to say I attempted a joke. It didn't go well. In fact, she actually addressed that whole incident a few weeks later in a column for Stella. Her words here, I tried to crack a few jokes that in my head were funny, but went down like a lead balloon with the equally exhausted audience. For people that don't remember, Sonia was talking about how Hamish, who a lot of people had assumed would win the Gold again would have been a back to back victory after winning the year previously. An agent and how the agent had been saying, people are a little over Hamish. The room was a bit going, what's going on here? And then she was clarifying, I'm just joking. It didn't really say that, Hamish. You of course, the camera cut to you as it does. You haven't won the goal, then this happens. What was going through your mind?
Speaker 2: I know, pause on a real confluence of unlucky events. I mean, first of all, I mean we've got to say this right at the top. I know she's joking. I don't care for I didn't care for two seconds, like I feel really bad that. I mean, the mood of the night of logies is like more and more the media are like, yeah, yeah, great, you guys all got together and gave each other awards. Who cares? Who messed up? We want to we want we need a scandal. And that is that's the reporting. No one's the media out there to be like this is lovely, you guys look great. All these like really privileged people should give each other awards and have an even better night. Don't care about that. So they're like someone's got to mess up, and unfortunately, like they were like, okay, that's it, like we we've decided like that's the bit, like we're going to jump on that, unbeknownst to me. Unfortunately, I just didn't care at all. So the unfortunately, I think the camera cut to me and I went for a joke of my own, which was pretend to be shocked, like doing sort of like a fake what like as in like I can't believe I'm hearing that my manager thinks this, and then laughing afterwards because I'm joking around with Andy and my wife sitting next to me. So but the camera had cut away by the time we're laughing at Sonya's joke. So to the rumor probably looks like okay, that's you know, that hasn't gone that well. But I didn't care at all. You got to remember in the room, it's often much different than like whatever an article decides is like okay, this is the scandal. Foolishly or not. I'd sometimes take like weeks off Instagram, so I just wasn't on social media. Like we finished the night and again, love that Sonya one. She deserves it. It was great. I wasn't I wasn't trying to, I wasn't campaigning. I didn't I would be very grateful to win, but I was not upset because that's the funny thing about the god loggire, like you don't don't, you don't enter, you don't ask to be nominated. It's just something that pops up, and if it happens, it happens. And if it's not, that's great to go to someone else. So yeah, I was like, great, we can go home. Like I went home. I when cuddled my daughter in bed, and I was actually sitting there thinking this is so nice. This is great. I get to like lie here, I don't have to I'm not doing media. I don't have to wake up in the morning do the today. Like there's again, I'm very grateful for the honor when it happens, if it ever happens, but there is a silver lining to not having to do media in the next day. So I was just having a final time. And then I didn't realize until probably a little bit later, like maybe late in the next day, and by that stage, like the new cyclic gone and I probably should have done the right thing. I was propaty should have posted something and said I don't care about this at all, but I just wasn't paying attention to it. So unfortunately for something like the blowback happened. And then I can't remember she e mailed me or I emailed her, but I kind of realized late that next day that she was copying heat for this, so I think I maybe emailed her and just went, Hey, if this is a bother, I don't care at all. I know what it's like to be up there. Your mind's racing, You're trying to think of something to say. People are exhausted, You're trying to think of something funny to say. We'd actually done that kind of Joe, We've been on fits in whipper earlier in the week, And I think she just was like, we did this joke earlier, let's go again. So from her perspective, I completely understood all the choices she made to be there, and I didn't care at all. Probably the only the thing I felt bad about was not having enough presence to go this could be a bit of blowback for us, so I probably have the chance here to snaffle that. For her, I wasn't really paying attention, so unfortunately she I would say like felt a really unnecessary amount of heat or pressure over that. To explain herself for what was I would say, at best, just a kind of a neutral thing to say, like, it's just everyone up on stage is gone for gags the whole night right. Some hit, some don't. It's not a big deal.
Speaker 1: After the break, I asked Kamish about being in a very different life stage to his longtime friend and collaborator Andy Lee. I will have to wrap up to him because I'm going to get you over to our cover shoot for Stella that is happening after this. You have been on the cover of Stellar a couple of times before, so has your wife Zoe. And in fact, do you remember that you photographed Zoey for a feature for Stella during lockdown? Of course, you and Zoe were living in Melbourne at the time with your family.
Speaker 2: It's amazing I remember it because it to transfer those photos. I love Heart of the Morning. You know you pick favorites in your photo of them. I love hearted all of them just so I could find them. But in my day to day life it's quite hard to earn a love heart. So when I go to that album and it's just always the kids, but it has to be like a real keeper. When I go to that album, you know, there's like select shots of holidays and moments from the kids, and then just like five hundred shots.
Speaker 1: I was a lot there, wouldn't there. I love that you've kept them there in the love heart well speaking of because.
Speaker 2: I mean, but can I ask you professionally please? They were not bad shots.
Speaker 1: They were absolutely I do.
Speaker 2: Like photography, and I was like, let's really try for this, honey. So I mean, she was great. She was an amazing model to work with, last model I shot. I think as a photographer, once you shoot someone that great, you're like, I can't beat that.
Speaker 1: That's true. It would be difficult to find somebody to top to shoot that. But maybe when she does her next Doellar cover you're shooting with Stephen she today, maybe cameras correct. You and Zoe will clock up twelve years of marriage this year. People have always been very invested in your relationship. Is that sweet or does it bring a bit of pressure because there's then that expectation that you have to live up to the fairy tale ideal of total strangers.
Speaker 2: I mean, to be honest, I never really think about that but I mean it's I suppose in their general sense. If people wish you, well, that's sweet. If people have an unrealistic hope or dream for you to be something that isn't isn't real, then I would say that probably that probably says more about them than us, and it's not something I think about a lot. You know, I would say the same thing anyone would say, which is just like you know, we every relationship is different because no people are different, and so the combination of two people is always going to be a unique thing. And so you know, you try the best you can. You have ups, you have downs, you work on things, you come back, you never really feel like you're nailing it, and then but you're always in there to keep going. And so I wouldn't say the other people's opinion of our relationship is anything that takes up too much mental space to be.
Speaker 1: Honest, possibly your other significant other, well my words, Andy Lee. We've talked a little bit about your long standing friendship and of course your professional partnership collaboration. He was on the of Stella in August twenty twenty two with his partner Rebecca Harding. We shot them on location in the mansion. Apparently it was.
Speaker 2: And it was.
Speaker 1: Look, it was a beautiful shoot. And Andy told Stella in the course of that interview that you and he were in different life stages. He said they as in, you and Zoe have got two little kids generally at dinner at six o'clock, whereas Beck and I eat about ten thirty pm. So even agreeing on a time to eat can be hard, not just with Hamish and Zoe, but with a lot of friends who were deep in that family time. So we find ourselves gravitating towards our younger friends or our gay friends. And in fact, Beck also was saying that for her in particular, there's this pressure, constant questioning to the two of them, when you're going to have kids, when a you're going to quote unquote settle down. I'm going to sneak in two questions here, What could you tell me about that life cycle?
Speaker 2: Because I'm aware I know life cycle, because I mean, we joke about this all the time of the podcast. He I mean, just to any parent reading this, like imagine every weekend he just wakes up after he's had enough sleep, Like what a wild concept? And if he's tired, how's this if he wakes up and he's tired, do you know what he does? He just goes back to sleep and he can because it's quiet because Beck's also asleep. That is wild. So yeah, I mean everything else like that is a clear indicator of what life cycle we're at. But he, you know, he does it well. Again, we're just I think the fun part about and and eyes. We're very different people but have that have found an amazing but on some levels, like we've never met anyone more similar, Like there are some parts of a personality but completely lock like lego if I may use a slight piece of cross promotion, but we're also extremely different pieces. So you know, there are this is actually a perfect analogy. There are some studs and anti studs that will go together, but we're like totally different pieces too. So that's the beauty. I think that's a bit of our relationship. I think with the bits that we do together, we're in complete lockstep, and we love that we have very separate lives too.
Speaker 1: I do love that analogy, and I think it's something that we talk to a lot of women on this podcast about, is that there's always an assumption that if you're in different life stages with someone. Recently, I had Pip Edwards and Julie Bishop on the podcast together in conversation and obviously they're different ages, live in different parts of the country, completely different backgrounds. But also Pip says, first and foremost, I'm a mum. Julie Bishop doesn't have children. For some people, especially the way we view women, that's seen as an obstacle that can't be overcome in a relationship. That's I think it's so important that we're calling bs on that stereotype.
Speaker 2: And I think that's the fun of life. You just have friends from all different walks of life. Now, for myself, I'll be like, yeah, first and foremost I'm a dad, but I love having a lot of mates. I would have, you know, a vast maship. I'd say probably a close. It's a pretty even split. I've either got you know, we got friends who've got kids the same age, and I think you fall into that that becomes easy because you're doing similar things. But then there's also plenty of mates that don't have kids, and I love those guys being in the kids' lives as well because I want them to see people of all and same with a lot of friends that come in that don't have kids, just because you, as a parent, you love your kids being exposed to good, fun, positive grown ups that are doing lots of different things that aren't all just kind of cut from the same cloth.
Speaker 1: And you're saying that your friendship can even withstand if you ever wake up at five am because a small child has come looking for some water or breakfast, and you're thinking, and it's probably only got into bed two hours ago, it's probably sleeping till noon. You can even withstand that jealousy. That's a solid friendship.
Speaker 2: I can and I'm very happy for him.
Speaker 1: Final question for you want to ask about how you decide what issues that you will or won't speak up on, because we're living in a time where certain public figures are like, how come you haven't commented on this political issue or you need to make some sort of statement of where you stand on the wall in Gaza You Hamishad, you're an ambassador for Food Bank Victoria. You've lent your voice to call on the federal government to fund twelve weeks of paid parental leave for fathers and non birthing parents. You recently posted about getting a skin check, what do you choose that you will or will not speak up?
Speaker 2: I think it's pretty good question. I think it's I don't think you can. I think you could if you started to go down that slope of like, well, if you say one thing about one thing, you then have to say something about everything. I think you've also got admit, like what do what? There are certain I think the general rule is, hey, if it comes into to your orbit and it's on your radar. And this would also have been like, you know, if you have the time that day, do you have the inclination has it? Because I'm not really personing on social media that much, so this would be a different question if I was like every day I sit down for two hours and I live stream what I'm thinking about. Different situation. But as I sort of said before, like it would probably be a false read about what does this person care about or not care about to just look at someone's social media because I do delete it for weeks and things are always happening and you're just not doing stuff on social media, I guess it doesn't get talked about. So for me, I'm like, I think you have to have a what for the things that you'd end up talking about you have a personal connection and or you have those several factors kind of aligned for a moment and you're like, all right, I think this could do some good in the world to lend your voice to this. But by the same time, it doesn't mean that then everything else you're against or you have no opinion on. I do also, I also think that there are some things where you're like, well, I don't think that's what my people are coming to my account for or looking to me to say, And I think there's value in that too. There are many many avenues we can get news, resources, facts, and for me personally, in my senses like, I don't I'm not rushing to take a stand on every on everything because I don't think I think that would be you know, to respond to people. I don't think that's necessary for me to do as a Just just because you happen to be on social media, I hope.
Speaker 1: You enjoyed that episode of the summer series or something to talk about. Make sure you're following us if you're not already, because we'll be revisiting some of your favorite episodes of the past year until we're back with the brand new episode on January twelfth,