Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That, The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co hosts of the business news podcast Fear and Greed, and I'm joined in the studio today as always by Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of Sugar Mum, a TV, the financial literacy platform covering YouTube, podcasts, books, Instagram threads, TikTok and more. Did you hear that giant pause, that big breath I took before I introduced you?
Speaker 2: Just then guess what was going on there?
Speaker 1: I think I actually just think I need a holiday, which is conveniently the topic of today's episode. The funny thing about holidays, right is the fact that it's something that we're supposed to look forward to these but there's often so much stress involved in it from a financial perspective about saving up for it kind of before you get there, and then once you are on holidays, it's kind of what can you afford to do? And when you get back from a holiday, it's how do you pay for everything that you might have splurged on while you're away? And so far I've succeeded in making holidays sound entirely unappealing. But today we are going to talk about basically how to have the holiday that you want, how to save for it, how to prepare, how to enjoy it when you're actually there, so that you don't have this kind of financial worry that's weighing you down while you're supposed to be having a good time.
Speaker 2: And like resting and recharging those batteries so that you can hit the ground running and make lots of money when you get home.
Speaker 1: Yes, I like this. Why do they feel so stressful? Why before we've even left? Why are holidays so financially stressful? Is just because the cost of everything is getting so expensive.
Speaker 2: I think it's a combination thing. So obviously the money you've got, the emotion, and also the expectation that we can put on ourselves, you know, about making it a great holiday where everyone's happy, no arguments, no fights, you know, having a wonderful breakaway from Groundhog Day, building memories. But we're also at the same time scared of crap. How are you going to afford this? You know? How are you not going to come home to heap some dead How are you not going to overspend, and you know often behind that is there's no clear plan and it's the fear of the unknown that I think can create a lot of anxiety for each other. And you know, we can very easily if we have done our research underestimate the costs and then overestimate the damage of that. Oh, I'll figure that out when I get home a little bit later. Yeah, with that financial repercussion, that is.
Speaker 1: That is the holiday attitude though, right, Like you don't want to deal with that while you're away, just go, you know what, we'll figure that out later. I don't want to get too negative, but let's get the bad stuff out of negative. Oh please, I am the most positive person that you have ever met. No, that's not true. Like the look on your face like you are just making up stuff as you go along. The biggest mistake that people make when they are planning and saving for a holiday, and this is the last of the negativity before we get to the positive stuff, is the biggest mistake. Is it what you just mentioned kind of underestimating cost.
Speaker 2: Yes, so you know it's at the end of the day. I think it's about treating it as a financial afterthought. Instead of like a goal or a reward for you know, achieving a particular goal, you know, just jumping on and booking the flights and accommodation, you know, where you don't necessarily have to pay for it upfront and then thinking I'll worry about that closer to the time. You know. Not accounting for all those little things like transfers is a big one, you know. The food. Like in some countries, food's a lot more expensive than it is for what we used to For example here, you know, getting around, you know, is it a city or a place where you get taxis or you can easily access public transport, you know, spending money, taxes, visas. You know, all those little extras can actually really add up in costs more than they're sometimes, the airfare and the accommodation.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll get to a bit of budgeting advice, because I want to know how you plan for your trips when you go away. We'll do that's in a sec I want to know first though, how do we actually do it? It was the smartest way to save I mean rather than kind of the budgeting side, which will come later, But what's the smartest way to save for a holiday. Is it setting up a separate account? Is it kind of regular allocations all that kind of thing, your standard financial goal stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, so you've answered the your own question perfectly.
Speaker 1: I no longer need you.
Speaker 2: Oh damn, I'll really miss you. No, like, have a separate savings account nickname it, you know, our holiday savings. And I think that's really important because obviously when you log onto your internet banking you see the you what a holiday savings account. Not only does it stop you from getting confused and accidentally using that money, it also is a great reminder as to what you're working towards and to get excited a wow, like we've actually got like four thousand three we have to all saved up for a holiday fund, even though you may not necessarily know where you want to go yet, but just I think the mental respite and the I guess excite would have knowing, Wow, look at that money, we are going to go on a holiday. We can get excited about this, it's really happening. Regularly contributing to it. But also don't forget about the ad hoc contributions as well. You know, for example, you might get a bonus or a tax refund and you can afford to put it into that holiday of savings account, like do that and regularly check it and watch it up add up, and that's when you can start thinking about where do you want to go and what's going to cost and do we have enough here? And it means you enjoy the holiday so much more knowing it's all been paid for and allocated for financially before you like walk out the front door or pack that suitcase.
Speaker 1: It would be a good motivation for a little side hustle, isn't it, knowing that if you're going to if you're going to go to the effort of setting up something on the side, that you're going to put every cent that you make here into your holiday fund.
Speaker 2: Exactly Like if these things you can sell, you can take on some extra work or the weekend, you know, monetize like a hobby or something like that, even if it helps give you some extra spending money.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's great. Declutter. What fantastic motivation that would be to declutter your house, sell all your unwanted stuff, knowing that everything that you sell is going to help you fund your holiday. It would make those decisions, you know, when you're picking up something. Do do I need to keep this? Do I not? Or is it going to be worth more as a cocktail in Fiji?
Speaker 2: Caravanning around Australia?
Speaker 1: Happy? Yeah? Absolutely? How do you do it? All?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Because I'm fascinated by just the processes that you take, because you have a great gift for it's not necessarily being frugal, but being able to get great value but also not compromise on experiences and things. So I'm curious how you plan for a trip, your process?
Speaker 2: Please, I am a little bit it. So I often capitalize on Tom's travel. So Tom travels a lot for work, so I will, I guess, piggyback off his travel because then obviously a lot of his at least his airfare is paid for separately his You know, we can all bunker down into his hotel room. And yes there are times where we've had all five, like for all five verse in one hotel room. So I try and make the most of those opportunities because it's a great way of seeing a country and being part of Tom's work and seeing what he does. So that, but yes, I have it. We have a separate savings account that's for holiday but also for weekends away as well, because for me, that's another form of a holiday and makes the mutually sustainable and regular throughout the year as well. And then obviously, you know, making sure that you've got that money saved up in time. So say, for example, I'm planning a holiday. You know, I'd love to go to Bali at the end of this year when school holiday breaks. I love to do that, you know, going all right, well, this is how much we need to budget, This is how much we need to be adding on a regular basis to get there. But even if I can't, for example, afford to put the full amount to get there, just by starting the process and then slowly as I can, slowly build up that regular savings plan so I get as close to that as possible when it comes close to that particular date. And things like you know, obviously the obvious ones like frequent flyer points, you know, booking early and even better, you know, booking the calling the hotel directly to ask them if they have a better deal, because obviously they're paying commission to a lot of those booking websites. Quite often if you call them they'll actually give you a better rate as well, which is a great little.
Speaker 1: Hack really, so you just go direct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can also there's all the loyalty programs like Hilton have one as well, intercontinentally all have these you know, great war programs. They'll give you free upgrades or you know, like checkouts, or they'll include breakfasts and you know, doing researching everything. Like we recently were looking at a holiday to go to New Caledonia because Tom had to go there for work.
Speaker 1: What a tough job.
Speaker 2: I know, well we didn't, but you know what I was. We were researching and we're really struggling because we couldn't find the details. And then I happened to see a friend who had been to New Caledonia, and I said, I was able to ask a whole pile of questions and we've got some great clarity. And I came back to time and said, okay, I've just found out all this stuff. And so we decided, okay, let's maybe let's park that for the year after next because of the feedback we got. So you know, this is where doing your research is really valuable.
Speaker 1: There's some good tips there. I like that idea of going straight to the going straight to the accommodation into the hotel. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and looking for those deals as they come up, the flight deals and all those.
Speaker 2: Groupon as well. You can you look and see what you know. For example, if you want to go to a day spy or something, they'll have some groupon deals in the area that you're traveling to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I suppose that the idea is if you've got this money that you have set aside, and that you are contributing to it as you go, then it would mean that you are able to act quickly when something does happen like Loo get the airlines all the time, big scales, and they start competing with each other, and all of a sudden, you can get the flight that you've been keeping an eye on for maybe two thirds the price of what it was before because there's this competition. But if you haven't got the money saved and you're not ready to go, then that opportunity might pass you by.
Speaker 2: And that's why people end up getting in credit card debt because they go, oh, and that's obviously not advisable at all, Okay, And you can't really enjoy a holiday knowing you're going to come home to a massive credit card debt and you're a financial torture.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of enjoying the holiday, we're going to take a quick break. And on the other side, it is what to do while you are away, how to actually enjoy the holiday without this nagging feeling that you are building up debt that you're going to have to deal with when you get home. Back in a moment, can we are talking about having a great holiday on a budget. It doesn't even need to necessarily be on a tight budget. It just it is about not lowing money that you don't have, right, that's kind of the nature of a budget. Right when you're away, How do you do it without constantly worrying about money? How do you just spend? Do you set yourself like a daily spend. I know that you do a lot of research, but there's going to be a lot of things that come up as you're going. Do you have a certain amount that you allocate per day?
Speaker 2: So the goal is obviously to have fun and to you know, let your head down and treasure the opportunity and the moment and the memories together. But it's also you've got to keep a wise financial hat on. So I would normally allocate a certain amount of money per day, you know, as a family unit, but keep it, keep a buffer there, but keep it fluid. So there'd be days where we'll spend more than our allocated cap. Then we know the next to kind of maybe go to a different restaurant or maybe pick a slightly more budget friendly activity to help balance it out.
Speaker 1: See, this is where I think people will come unstuck because that requires a lot of discipline that.
Speaker 2: If you've done your research, is not to dip it at all, because you know, you know, well, we can't go jet skiing every day like you know, yeah, and also allow some time for rest and recovery as well, where it's watching a movie in the hotel room and maybe ordering room services of going out to another restaurant or you know, having a day sitting by the beach or the pool instead of you know, doing going island hopping or whatever whatever it may be, or shopping or you know.
Speaker 1: What about then pre paying as much as you can for while you are actually awake, because we know that obviously, pay your flights and advance and chances today you pay for your accommodation, your hotel or something in advance. But are there other things that you can book and pay so that you're not dealing with those expenses while you're actually on holidays.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you can book and prepay so many things like transfers, even activities, particularly if you're using great things like you know, group on, so you can book and pay for so much you know upfront, you know, especially with like hotels, you could include your breakfast or you know, lunches and dinners, like so many things these days can be you know, included. And you think about like hotels like Club Med. Do you ever go go to Club Met as a child. No, Oh, it was all inclusive. You got beats for money, and so your only money you would spend would be your own, like you basically hand over say twenty dollars and get these bees that you wear as necklaces, and you would they were to pay for extra things that won't included. So you know, obviously breakfast, lunch and dinner and all the sort of most of the activities were included. And so literally, thy families love Club Med. You everything's done and this you would only pay for something extra, like you want to go and get a massage, or you want to go and like away from the hotel and do something completely separate. But it's got kids club which is all inclusive. So yes, there is most things you can actually or prepay.
Speaker 1: What about the big blowout category? So I know that I said I wouldn't be negative kind of what are the things that I should be watching out for the things that are going to cost more? Okay, it just occurred to me foreign currency and exchange rates and getting hammered by international conversion charges and things on you. So you are using a credit card or something in another country. How do you navigate those kinds of things because those can add up very very quickly.
Speaker 2: And it's also there are so many different deals going on, different ways of doing it, and also you need to pick away that's easy for you to manage if you've got like five different cards, or you know, you're converting cash at one place and another place like you can get missy so you know, whatever, just keeps it easy to actually monitor and review is wise. And obviously you want to be careful for the exchange rate, do your research, you know, get prices from different people, and obviously you need to look at your credit card company or your bank to see what they're actually charging in the conversion rate, and it really does vary, So you want to sort of spend time working in best time before you go so that you know, actually, the smartest way for me to pay for things on this trip is with my credit card or with it with cash, because that you'll get a better deal. But obviously, keeping in mind things like travel insurance, you might have an element of safety even if it does cost you a little bit more that you've got that insurance.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's you are very bold taking an international trip without travel insurance. Oh my goodness, considering the amount that it costs you, which is not that much compared to potentially the cost of the trip, and just if things go wrong, the cost can just go out of control.
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Can I give you a tip that is from not from me, It's from my colleague on Fear and Greed, Sean Alma, who.
Speaker 2: Does loves the travel. He lies on holiday.
Speaker 1: He always he is always traveling around the world and recording the show from all kinds of exotic places. But he's also an economist by training as well, and he's done a lot of work on kind of currencies and things, and so we've talked about on the podcast, how do you get the best How do you time it? How do you get the best conversion so that you're actually getting the best bang for your buck if you're going to the US or you're going somewhere else in the world. And he basically says, it's that hard. It is it is impossible to time. You take the same approach as if you are investing in a dollar cost average approach, and he goes that that over a kind of six months leading up to the trip, if you want to have kind of five or six thousand dollars for instance, or five or six hundred dollars or whatever it is in spending money while you're while you're away converting it, you do one thousand dollars a month, and you will you'll win some, you'll lose some, and they will It will average out in the end. But you do run into problems if you leave it so the very last minute and you're doing it all at the airport on the way out of the country or something like that, then you are stung. Yeah, you are exposed, and you might have caught the dollar on a bad day.
Speaker 2: And also some places don't like cash as well. Yeah, you know, like it's quite incredible. Like a lot of places are cash cash lists.
Speaker 1: So okay, so say you've been on holidays, doesn't it can be anywhere. Could have been at the Gold Coast for a week, You could have been overseas somewhere for three months. How do you avoid coming home to a financial hangover? Is it just by holiday and within your means?
Speaker 2: Yes, but also it's regularly checking in to make sure you haven't blown all your money within the first three days of holiday. That's why I like to have that allocation of X amount of dollars per day, you know, give or take, you know, to obviously have some experience to day, some cheap days, but and doing all the research so that you've you've factored in everything and you've done your research just to watch the savviest way to get around. I mean, we went to Japan a couple of years ago, and you know, being a family with three young children and things like prams and just stuff, all the stuff you carry, Like, our instinct was to get into a taxi or an uber in Tokyo. That was extraordinarily expensive. I think we paid like two hundred dollars just to get to our hotel. But once we quickly figured it out and figured out the train system. It was then brilliant, Beau. We could jump on the trains and get everywhere we needed to. So you're just doing your research, having a daily buffer, but checking in to make sure you're on track, you're not blowing out. And you know, even if it means rounding up how much you think you're going to need to allow for those amazing opportunities where you can you know, upgrade certain tickets or certain activities to make the most of it, you know, keep it real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and keep an eye like just the idea of keeping an eye out for those good deals and having the money set aside in advance before you even know necessarily what your holiday is going to be. I really like that idea because then when you do see something come up that you can jump on it, and knowing that you are not going to a credit card, you are actually going to the money that you have saved. Give us something positive to finish on, because I think I tainted everything earlier with a whole lot of negativity, toxic negativity in the in the studio. Bit of good advice for anyone who wants to really enjoy their holiday.
Speaker 2: I think, spend time thinking about what you really want out of a holiday. You know, do you want a holiday that's an adrenaline rush, you know with sports activities and you know, like someone like skiing or skydbbing, or you know, something like snowboarding, or do you want something like do you feel like you need something it's a lot more soulful, like a lot of slower pace, like sitting by you know, in a beautiful country town, you know, a coastal town where you can actually have slow mornings and read a book by the beach and you know, have an afternoon nap and you know, a healthy dinner, or perhaps you want to go on like a retreat like a yoga retreat or a meditation retreat. Like think about what you actually really need that's going to fill your carp and give you the like the right amount of I guess return on an investment until your next holiday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, good call? Okay. If anyone wants more information from you, holiday tips when you go away, when you do go on these trips with sometimes peggybacking off Thom's work, do you share videos and share tips and things from.
Speaker 2: We recently went to China, so I'm putting together a real as to what we did in China, which is I'd never been to China before really and it was found so many great things. It was so kid friendly as well.
Speaker 1: That is awesome. Okay, well, and we can find that on Instagram Sugar Mama TV.
Speaker 2: I'm putting it together, but I will make sure I publish it soon. Then I've got pressure from you.
Speaker 1: And when that does go live, when it drops, amazing the right lingos. It's published, it's published, that's on Instagram, Sugar Mama TV. Correct wonderful and you can hear me every day with Sean aylmor on Fear and Greed business News. You can use. Thank you for listening to how do they afford that? Remember please hit follow on the podcast and send somebody else a link to this episode if you think that they are in need of a holiday and potentially in need of doing it in a budget friendly manner, and spread the word about how do they afford that? Thank you for your company. Join us again next week