Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Wednesday, July twenty nine, twenty twenty six. Fiona Brown, the former Liberal chief of staff wrongly accused by Brittany Higgins of covering up her rape, has accepted a settlement from the Commonwealth to resolve her employment law case. It ends a highly charged year's long dispute in which Brown accused former Prime Minister Scott Morrison and other senior government figures of throwing her under the bus. That scoop is live now at the Australian dot com dot au. Kyle Sandlands is back and spoiler, he's really good. The dumped FM radio host is rebuilding with a new app, a daily breakfast vodcast launching next month, and for the very Keen, a video documentary series giving a taste of what's ahead. Jennet Clark and I both coughed up for the app, and Jenna's here in just a moment to dish on the new look.
Speaker 2: Kyle track it.
Speaker 1: Acts and all.
Speaker 3: Right, are we ready to roll?
Speaker 1: Let's go. Jenna Clark is an associate editor with The Australian and just like me, apparently she's a Kyl Sandalanz super fan. We both got out our credit cards and subscribed to the brand new Carl Sandalans Live app. We're among a small group of supernerds Jenna who have subscribed before there's really even a show to subscribe to.
Speaker 3: That's true, Claire, I think, look, curiosity definitely killed my credit card when it came to looking out the old visa to watch episode one of the new Kyle Sandalans Live, which is his new era. If we could use the Taylor Swift pilance, away from arn, away from the moderators, away from the thirty second delay, away from people trying to tell him, stop telling him what to say, and I have to say it was twenty two minutes of refreshing viewing. You used to joke they could never fire you. Yeah I did, Yeah, so, and now the joke's on me here I am fucking fired.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: I must confess I'm a late in life Carl Sandalans fan. I've never really had much of an opinion about him over the years, but now I'm finding him to be a kind of warm, interesting, relatable person. All the things that people have said to me about him over the years that now turn out to be true. So this is the app that he's created to kind of host what he is going to be his podcast when it launches on August tenth, but as a kind of teaser, he's set up this full part at Home with Kyle video series with very high production values, kind of behind the scenes of him losing his radio career, losing his job at ARN and falling out with his on air partner Jackie Oh. He manages to be even though he's in a sort of one hundred million dollar house, just to be relatable and a bit of an every man, doesn't he He does.
Speaker 3: And I think, you know, I am hoping and this is probably going to get me a lot of criticism that this is the return of I don't want to say the Larken, but I think this is the return of the adorable buffhead, of which I feel is really innate to an Australian culture. Like sure, he has said some crazy things over the years, all of which he confronts head on in the first twenty minute episode of this new documentary, but I just think it goes to show he's so savvy, he's so smart, and he has a real love for media and the craft of audio, and I guess you know what that kind of looks like away from the main infrastructure of broadcast and linear broadcast, because I mean a lot of people are tuning into things nowadays on either podcast, podcast or on social media, and he has really taken it to another level by you know, making everything paid and everything is content to King Kyle, and no one knows that more than him. And I think the one thing that sparked my interest a few months back, when you know, this was also blowing up, was when he would front the media very casually out front of like you say, he's one hundred and twenty million dollar home, and there was always.
Speaker 2: Someone in the background with a camera, and it.
Speaker 3: Should have sparked of course, they're going to turn this into his story. So it's a genius way for him to get his point across his point of view, across his truth, if you will, and also start rebuilding the stockpile from that eighty two million dollar contract that is no longer running into his pocket. Yeah, he's got this self deprecating line of jokes about how he's you know, of course, very wealthy, very successful, how he stashed a bit of money away, but he's still a bit of a shambles.
Speaker 2: That's kind of the stick or the character that he plays.
Speaker 3: So we've just moved in here.
Speaker 1: Watch the dogs come in. They're still furniture everywhere. Some photos are going and go in, go in, come in, come in, fuck say everywhere. It's a really interesting version of what we see a lot which is established dude loses his career in mainstream media and then tries to segue into something else. Alan Jones, Ray Hadley, Kyl Stefanovic. None of them have really been able to step into another medium very successfully yet. So if he pulls this off, Kyle will be the first person to have actually done it successfully in the modern era in Australian media.
Speaker 2: What do you think about the business model?
Speaker 1: So Kyl Sandalan's Live unless you're a super fan like you and I, where it's nine to nine dollars for a year's subscription, you'll be paying two dollars a week to listen to Kyle's three hour radio show every day, which will also be video, be a vodcast.
Speaker 2: What do you think about that? Will will his audience follow him?
Speaker 1: Look?
Speaker 2: I think they will.
Speaker 3: When you see the response to when the doco dropped last night, there was a lot of people on social media that were probably just curious, like I was, to kind of see how this would sort of go, what his demeanor would be like, how he would approach it. And I saw a really stark different Kyl Sanderlans to the one I think that has been portrayed by people that probably didn't listen to his stint on Two DAYFM or his stint at Kiss FM. I think a lot of people like to paint him is this big ogre type bully. But I think when it comes down to it, I think a lot of people and he reminds the viewer he was a kid that slept in a cardboard box. He knows what it's like to have you back against the wall. And he also talks about sure he's got, you know, twenty million dollars worth of mortgages, but he's also supporting a lot of friends, a lot of family members for their health issues. He's what he's on employees. He's got about eight or so to this new Carl Sandalans Live project, and a lot of them I think it goes to the measure of the man. A lot of them have come from you know, his previous life. I think seven of the core team members, including his manager, have been with him for probably a better part of a decade, and that I think that there speaks volumes about just the kind of bloke he truly is.
Speaker 1: Between this and an interview he did over the weekend with Lisa Mayo from The Daily Telegraph, an interview that was published across the news Corp family of Metropolitan papers, we.
Speaker 2: Learned some interesting things.
Speaker 1: One was that Kyle's best friend, John Ibrahim, the colorful Sydney nightclub identity, called him and said how are you, how's your mental health, which caused Kyle to kind of fall around laughing. And also that Russell Crowe rang Kyle to say, you know, get it together, make up with Jackie, patch it up. Those little nuggets have been very interesting, and so have his reflections on Jackie and what she's kind of going through. What's your sense of how he's handled that. Do you think he's getting the tone right?
Speaker 3: I think he is. He's very respectful of obviously their long working relationship and they have clearly a very deep friendship, and he kind of paints it in the way of you know, mum and Dad have been married for twenty five odd years, and of course what used to be cute and funny is no longer cute and funny, and it's all sort of blown up.
Speaker 2: I sort of have had to emotionally, in my mind close that chapter.
Speaker 1: You know, this isn't a taking sides thing like like, I'll always love her like a sister to me. I wish her the best.
Speaker 3: I still think, I mean, given I think we're watching footage from probably a few weeks or months ago, it's still very raw. So he sort of feels like he's in a bit of shock because he can't really understand, Like, you know, he says, this wasn't even our biggest fight. We've normally just patched things up and it'll be fine, And he goes on to say, you know, he's reached out to her to say that I love.
Speaker 2: You when I have your back.
Speaker 3: But then it is interesting because then you see on the flip side to that, when all of this, you know, deal went through a very own A Meetia section with Steve Jackson and James Madden broke the story that now they've submitted affidavits which will go to help arn versus Jackie Henderson in her fur work claim.
Speaker 1: Former radio host Jackie Oh has made explosive allegations against her longtime co host Kyl Sandalan's So for unfair dismissal, and just like Carl Sandlan's, Jackie O is now demanding to be paid the rest of their two hundred million dollar megadeal.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot more to tease out of this. I mean, it's either genius marketing and pr of which of course it is. And it's going to be even more delicious content.
Speaker 2: Coming up.
Speaker 1: Could the Kylon Jackie O Show rise from the dead. It'll be really interesting to see what she does, how she handles it. How would you play this if you were Jackie. Bearing in mind that she from her perspective, you know, started talking on the radio show about the thing that she's really interested in astrology, the world of wo that she's kind of got herself into now and that she's genuinely interested in like a lot of women are, and she got absolutely pasted about that by Kyle. She's been through some serious health problems and an addiction issue that she's talked about. She's been through a divorce, she's a single mom. She's now going through her own court battle to try and recoup some of that one hundred million dollar contract from our n What do you think she should do or how would you play it for you with JACKIEO?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is another thing I think the JACKIEO is probably one of our most successful and talented broadcasters in this country. She's always just sort of been there. She's done everything every type of medium, going back to the pop stars days, and that's how she struck up such a great friendship with people like Sophie Monk. And again, I think she's an incredible talent. I think she has a lot to offer. It will be interesting to see whether she goes down the same rutus Kyle and decides to launch her own media company or she does something completely different and we see, you know, in six months time, JACKIEO offering her life coach services.
Speaker 2: Who knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she kind of tried her own media company, didn't she. With her friend Jemma O'Neil, they had a podcast called Her Best Life. They had a business called Besties, which was about facilitating women's connections. They brought Megan Markele to Australia to give a talk and it's kind of in hiatus or it's fizzled out there.
Speaker 2: Why do you think that is? Is it that you know, Kyle was always the star and she was always the sidekick.
Speaker 3: I think that's also the interesting thing because this could be what also undoes Kyle, right, because I think it's all well and good to jump on this train now in the early days of the new Kyle Sandalans live and again, as he says, three hours of him every day could be a lot without the appropriate foil. And that's why I think that those two were just like such a successful combination. They were like the Sultan Vinegar of media because they just balanced each other so well. So I think that's going to be the ultimate test for Kyle, whether he can actually sustain the success without the appropriate foil which Jackie delivered him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she was always the buffer against the claim that he was a misogynist. You know, you mentioned his kind of bad moments, and he's had plenty, and he's been an idiot at various times over his career, but he does own that and he has always had her to kind of soften it has need to call him out in the moment. That was the dynamic I have to prove doing something.
Speaker 2: Should she be feeling a little bit used?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I think that's just how chemistry when a coupling in a professional context, specifically a forward, a front facing, very public partnership like that. I think they both compliment each other very well. So I think potentially Rusty Crow could be prophetic and sort of say that they will eventually get back together. I mean, this could also all blow up in all of our faces, thinking that they've broken up for good, and then all of a sudden we see sort of Jackie slide back in.
Speaker 2: Who knows.
Speaker 3: I don't think she would feel used, because I think they were both incredibly successful together. I think, you know, it's folklore in the industry that they always went into contract negotiations with their radio bosses together and it was very much whatever I get, she gets, whatever he gets, she gets. So it will be interesting to see how this sort of plays out and see how Kyle's trajectory continues, because it will because he's you know, he's such a talent, but also to see what Jackie does next and whether their pards will cross.
Speaker 1: He has said that there's always a spot for her on the app on Kyle Sandelad's life.
Speaker 2: She wants to join him.
Speaker 1: Imagine if she did, we would go back to thinking that the bosses at Aarn of royally stuffed this up.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't we.
Speaker 1: Initially it looked like a catastrophe for them because it looked like they were going to have to pay out the contract anyway. Then Kyle settled for a relatively small amount of money, I think twelve million dollars, and suddenly they look like geniuses again. If Kyle makes this work, takes their advertisers, maybe gets Jackie O, takes all the attention, we can go back to thinking that they're idiots.
Speaker 2: Right, I've always been in that camp.
Speaker 3: I just think that the suits at ARN have been outplayed, outwitted, and they will be outlasted by the lord in stretching pants.
Speaker 1: Well, he's lost a teen kilos. Apparently his tracked acts are the only thing that fit him. Now he's KISSFM TRACKI acts.
Speaker 3: Of course they were. And the slide, the ug boot slides. I just think I just love it. And then the house, you know he was talking about, Look at this new house. I'm getting some work done. It's great for New Year's Eve because that this incredible view and then he turns and says, you're not coming out on anyone here. And as I've written for The Australian, it says, in the world now where we are inundated with AI slop and losers trying to line up to go on reality television for linear projects, having someone that is so genuinely and authentically themselves and just you know, a bit of a bull, fair bit of a slob.
Speaker 2: I'm here for it. I'm really enjoying it. Well.
Speaker 1: Hopefully the ug boots and the stretchy trackies will be the new range of Kyle merch that we can buy along with our subscriptions.
Speaker 3: Don't my kids need to eat? And I'm probably gonna buy them.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jenna, Thanks Claire.
Speaker 1: Jenny Clarke is an associate editor with The Australian. You can read her review right now at The Australian dot com dot au